Deliverance - The Lost Abbey

The Lost Abbey visit their website

American Strong Ale |  12.50% ABV

Beer added by: drummstikk on 08-09-2010

A blend of bourbon barrel-aged Serpent’s Stout and brandy barrel-aged Angels Share, Deliverance is the epic battle being waged between heaven and hell for the souls of mortal men… and your enjoyment in a glass.
Reviews: 426 | Hads: 1,869
4.12/5  rDev -3.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

A - Very dark brown, almost black with a short tan head that disappeared quickly.

S - Very nice aroma of chocolate, caramel, licorice, toasted almond from the barrel, bourbon and brandy. The aroma evolved nicely as I sipped it.

T - The flavor is like the aroma. It's quite boozy, but very smooth at 12.5%. Hops don't play much of a role here. This is a big malty beer.

M - Oily and full bodied with low carbonation. I like bubbles, but didn't really miss them here.

O - A very pleasant, malty boozy, barrel aged sipping beer with a premium price tag of $16 / 12oz. and it's *almost* worth the price of admission. Much better than Angel's Share and similarly priced. If I drank two of these, I'd increase my rating.

4.44/5  rDev +4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Another solid showing from The Lost Abbey. Not sure if I like this one better than the angels share alone though. Boozy up front like most of their higher abv beers are. Seems like they like to hit you with the booze hard. Can definitely taste both the bourbon and brandy. Great beer but high price point, $15.99 for 12.7oz

3.85/5  rDev -9.8%

Poured into a RRBC tulip

A - deep amber with a little bit of head. Decent lacing.

S - vanilla, brandy, oak, and lots and lots of chocolate (serpent stout really comes through).

T - Brandy, sugar malts, vanilla, chocolate. It has an alcohol burn and its fairly sweet.

M - decent. Not too complex, and has a bit of a burn on the tongue, but not as complex as it could be.

D - its a big beer, so its a sipper.

Overall, good beer, but not great. In comparison to the other beers we had that day, it seemed fairly middle of the road. I'd get this beer on tap, but not sure buying a bottle was a wise decision. Oh well

4.03/5  rDev -5.6%

Poured into a snifter.

A - pretty damn awesome! Black as night, like a stout, but with a much thinner consistency. Also a nice tan head on top for a few moments.

S - bourbon, brandy, oak, vanilla, burnt sugar, espresso.

T - same as the nose, but there's definitely a sweet taste to it, which I'm assuming is from the brandy.

M - nice carbonation, a good array of flavors, but a little sweet and hot still.

D - I should've let this one sit for a while, but it was my first and I always like trying one fresh before I age it. Angel's Share bourbon is one of my all time favorite brews and I guess I was kinda expecting Deliverance to be like it, but it's not quite on the same level. Definitely delicious, but the heat from this one is much more pronounced and a little unpleasant when compared to that of a fresh Angel's Share.

2011 Vintage 12.7 oz. bottle corked and caged

A - Pours pitch black with one finger head that fades rather quickly. Lacing clings to side of glass after swirling. Great foam retention.

S - Bourbon, brown sugar, booze, molasses, raisins, dark candied fruit.

T - Heavy bourbon and brandy right up front followed by a wave of fig, raisin, sweet molasses, dark brown sugar sweetness and alcohol heat.

M - Full bodied and sticky. Better carbonation than the Angel's Share.

O - Very good barrel aged beer from The Lost Abbey. Alcohol is a bit hot right now. I might suggest putting a couple years on this one to round out things even smoother. At $16 for a 375ml bottle this one is a bit on the expensive side. Well done though.

4.15/5  rDev -2.8%

A: Opens with a satisfying 'pop'. Dark brown brew capped with mocha head that does not have much staying power.

S: Buncha barrel on this guy. Rich toffee, dark chocolate cake batter, oaky vanilla and brandy. The brandy comes out as volatile, oozing the booze.

T: Saints alive! Creamy chocolate melds with buttery toffee and medium roast espresso, eliciting a smile on the reviewer. The only thing preventing a 5 on here is the heavy and hot booze that burns the mouth and makes it challenging to swallow. This is a strong candidate for aging.

M: As much as I appreciate the balance and feel, the heat tempers the score here too.

D: A well composed blend that will likely benefit from a cellared vacation.

4.24/5  rDev -0.7%

New batch.

Pours with bubbles, hooray for Lost abbey! The head is a much darker brown around the edges than the middle, kind of weird. Black coffee colored with a very oily surface. It's got an impressive amount of lace for such a rotund beer.

The aroma is where it's at here. Madagascar Bourbon vanilla bean is the most notable feature, accompanied by dry oak, chocolate cake, rum and coconut. I want my house to smell like this.

This has that toasted caramel taste that I associate with really good Old Ales. Very well balanced, but on the sweeter side. When I first started drinking this, I thought "oh, easy, it tastes like Serpent Stout. Cool.". Now that it's warmed quite a bit, it's just like Angel's Share. I don't think I could tell which was which if you put them side by side. Unfortunately, the alcohol is too pronounced on the finish.

Mouthfeel is nice and full, a little drying after the jump.

I'd have to drink this next to both Angel's Share and Serpent's Stout to really know which was superior.

On an ANGRIER note, it really pisses me off that Lost Abbey puts a pseudo-intellectual-theological bullshit spiel on the back of their labels. It's a fucking BEER. How about telling me what's in the damn bottle and when it was brewed instead of a lame fairytale? I shouldn't have to do a google search to find out what I'm drinking. Minus 162 cool points.

4.77/5  rDev +11.7%

The bottle presentation itself is pretty impressive and the beer that follows does not let you down. By the way that's my pic:)

A-Pretty dark but the Angel's Share lightened it up a bit. Dark head that fades quickly and some nice lacing.

S-Wow! This is exactly what I expected. This is a big beer with a big nose! The brandy and bourbon blend nicely without overpowering each other. There's alcohol, dark fruits, barrel.

T-First you get the blended brandy and bourbon so it's sweet but not overpowering. The brandy is very present. Dark fruits, vanilla, oak and brown sugar. The alcohol comes into play heavily at the end, I can't wait to try this in another 6 months.

M-Luscious! It's full bodied, smooth,and nicely CARBONATED. Not nearly as heavy as you'd think and pretty easy drinking for a 12.5% beer.

Well done Lost Abbey.

4.37/5  rDev +2.3%

The Beers of California

Vintage 2013

A: Velvety black on the pour with a small cap of espresso foam which fades to a collar on the glass.

S: Big alcohol notes complimented by wood, vanilla, molasses, brown sugar and dark berries.

T: The alcohol is towering, smooth, and warming with highlights of wood. There is dark sugar, vanilla, molasses and dark berries which bring a countering sweetness to the alcohol. The malt is grainy, oaty and bready with moments of burnt cocoa nibs and espresso. The finish is warm with an accompanying earthy spiciness.

M: Full bodied and smooth with minimal carbonation.

O: This stout, strong ale blend boasts big flavors and big alcohol with subtleties and nuances that make for a complex and worthy brew. Hope to try the component beers soon.

4.54/5  rDev +6.3%

Poured to a large Duvel tulip glass.
Pours a menesing dark black. An aggressive pour kicks up less than a half inch of head that hisses like the damned.
Great aroma, big sweet barleywine like notes, rich toffee, malty sweetness, caramel, some oakieness, defiantly some dark fruit, raisins, and a little cherry like tartness.
Flavor is a slightly muted reflection of the nose. Nice toffee, some bourbon flavors are coming thru nicely, more so than in the nose. The sweetness is a little more toned down, I get a bit of coffee bitterness complimented by some dark fruit sweetness. Defiantly a sultry booze finish.
The body is sitting at a pretty solid medium feel, defiantly more on the silky side than sticky. Carbonation sits perfectly on the light side, giving the brew a little life yet not distracting from the many nuances.
Overall a great beer, big thanks to Kevin for this one. I wanted to bring it to a tasting this past weekend but my dumb ass showed up a day late, isn't that some shit, yeah I know.

4.32/5  rDev +1.2%

Poured into my New Belgium glass. If I could give points for the bottle or the label design, I would. I love the Lost Abbey branding; but I digress...

Pours a dark brown, almost black with about an inch of mocha foam. Head dissipates rather quickly without much lacing.

Smells initially of the brandy followed by sweet raisins. The bourbon is evident towards the end of the inhale.

Tastes of chocolatey roasted malts soaked in bourbon. The taste is affected as well because you can't raise the glass to your mouth without being hit by the bourbon/brandy combination.

A bit on the thin side for how strong this beer is upfront. Not unpleasant but not expected either.

I feel warmed as I continue to sip, but I'm also not hit over the head by the 12.5%. These things are way too expensive to drink on the regular and the 12.5% would catch up quickly to you. I still enjoyed my first offering from Lost Abbey and would be interested to pick more up if I can come across them.

3.64/5  rDev -14.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Reviewing a vintage 2011 bottle

First of all this is a pretty pricey bottle and depending where you get it , this can range from $14.99 - $19.99 . That being said , it's completely worth every penny.

I have had the 2013 earlier this year and I was excited to see what two years would do to this beer. Deliverance is probably one of my most favorite beer that's from lost abbey . I must say after two years the carbonation is completely nonexistence and the flavor have fallen off a bit . Personally I didn't feel as thought some of the original notes were there anymore and even the bourbon taste itself was very little . It smelled amazing and you can't taste any booziness at all with this baby but given what it tasted like I would recommend drinking this one fresh and if you plan to age it don't let it go pass two years,but then again my reviews are subjective to the bottle I got and my taste so don't hesitate to grab this beer . Don't be scared off by the price tag, well worth the cost .

Cheers !

4.32/5  rDev +1.2%

I like this label a lot - it really appeals to my darker sensibilities. Of course, the dreck on the back label just makes me annoyed. I think that there should be a new CA law that forbids The Lost Abbey from writing any stories on the backs of their bottles. Poured chilled into my Bruery tulip.

Appearance is a very dark brown, near-black unless held up to the light. Viscous pour. The first third of the pour there are no bubbles forming, and just as I am about to curse and smash up my kitchen, a cascading wave of brown bubbles emerges. Phew. Pretty beer, not gonna lie.

The smell is scrum-diddly-umptious. One of the best-smelling beers I have ever encountered. Brandy, bourbon, oak, sweet and dark chocolate, slight roast, some caramel. Not too boozy, though you can tell it's in there. The brandy is in the forefront, which I much appreciate.

The taste does not quite live up to the promise of the aroma. It's quite good, but it's far warmer than the aroma let on. The barrels are up front, followed by candy flavors of chocolate and toffee, vanilla, slight roast in the background. Very complex, which is not unexpected. The finish is just a little bit abrasive, somewhat tannic. This is really good, but I think that this beer will age splendidly. This might be a near-perfect score within a year if the booze mellows out a bit.

Mouthfeel is great. Full-bodied, viscous, but the carbonation keeps it from falling flat. Nice.

Drinkability is pretty good, all things considered. It's fairly sweet, but it's not unbalanced. I'm glad they are packaging this in 375's, as I think more than that amount is asking too much.

Very, very good beer. Recommended.

4.42/5  rDev +3.5%

Appearance: dark inky, thick

Aroma: dark fruits, hint of chocolate, figs lot of layers going on here

Taste: figs, dark fruits, kiss of bourbon, abv comes through but in a good way

Mouthfeel: light carbonation heavy body chewy

Nice beer. Really great beer to end the night with. A nice sipper with a lot of flavor going on here.

4.35/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

Finally took the splash and ponied up the bucks for one of these, and used my own advice of not cellaring something the first time I've had it. Had a rich, deep-deep amber/caramel coloring, and a potent smell. Split it wife my wife while sharing some brownies, and it was a perfect pairing. I got a strong sense of the brandy sweetness, more than I thought with the strong bourbon smell coming out of the snifter. It had a delicious alcohol flavor without too much burn, which was excellent. The only thing that I left out on my scoring was the room for improvement that would very likely occur if left to mellow and blend with time, allowing more of the actual stout and old ale flavors to come out and play.

4.49/5  rDev +5.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A 12.7oz bottle poured into a snifter.
A - A very dark pour with a medium brown head. The head lasted on briefly, leaving no lacing. It is fairly viscous, though, and leaves a thick coating with fingers on the glass when tipped.
S - Bourbon, vanilla, malt and chocolate. Smells heavenly!
T - Very smooth and balanced. Bourbon and chocolate malts up front with balanced hops and a little bite of alcohol on the finish.
M - Above average mouth coating with a moderate level of carbonation.
O - A very well integrated strong ale. The 12.5% abv is only apparent on the finish. Everything is very well balanced. Highly recommended.

4.45/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: Black with some brown and amber hues. A thin head fades except at the edge of the glass.

Smell: Intense bourbon and sweetness. Brown sugar, some brandy. Enjoyably intense.

Taste: Sweet up front. Some heat comes out. Good bourbon and distinct brandy flavors hover around a great malt base. The alcohol is there but very enjoyable.

Mouthfeel: Nice carbonation and thickness. I dig, I dig.

Overall: I got this in a trade as an extra and love it. For a BA beer, this is world class. The complexity is great, the sweetness is very much there (almost a bit too much even) but the distinct brandy and bourbon notes are awesome.

4.48/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

12.7 oz bottle poured into a Snifter.

A: Dark black charcoal color absolutely no head

S: Toffee, Caramel, Bourbon, and a resounding sweet brandy smell

T: Initially starts off sweet with the taste of brandy then the caramel and toffee tastes come in then rounds off with a little hint of chocolate that stays in your mouth. Surprisingly due to the chocolate being the last taste you get the after taste is very pleasant

M: Smooth and very light for such a strong beer, goes down easier than most beers this strong/big. Very light carbonation!

O: Although it is very expensive I would purchase it again it is a good once and a while type beer. It is very pleasant and has many of the qualities that I enjoy in beers. I know the expense of this beer is a big deterrent to many people but in my opinion because it exemplifies the qualities that i look for in big beers, good palatability, good taste, not a bad mouthfeel, and wonderful complexity that isn't overwhelming I will certainly be recommending this beer to others and purchasing it again.

Poured into a wine glass on 05.19.14.

A: Midnight black with no red in the glass. No head, only a tan ring at the top.

S: Strong vanilla, brandy, bourbon, wood barrel. Amazingly complex!

T: Vanilla, dark cherry, plum dominate. Oak barrel, milk chocolate, raisin are subtle.

M: SIlky smooth. It's like velvet. Somewhat chewy.

O: This is a beer for a special event. To say that it is complex does not do it justice. I got a wash after wash of flavor. It was very difficult to pick apart. I didn't think that the blend of Serpent's Stout and Angel's Share would work, but oh man it does.

Rating: A+

3.75/5  rDev -12.2%

Poured from a 375ml, hilariously labeled bottle into a snifter.

Appearance is a black, oily color with a light brown head that quickly dissipates leaving an oily slick on the top of the beer.

The nose is full of bourbon, dark fruit, chocolate, and a little smokiness.

The taste is a confusion of the brandy and the bourbon. There are strong vanilla notes but this beer is confusing me as to what it wants to be. The dark fruits come out mid palate.

I kind of wanted more viscosity from this beer, it seemed a tad thin. At the same time, the carbonation was spot on.

All in all, kinda wish I let this one ride a little more. I think it will figure itself out with age and actually get a job.

4.42/5  rDev +3.5%

Vintage 2011

Beer pours a deep cola brown with a bubbly light brown head that fades quickly into a small ring around the glass with a tiny puddle of off center head.

Nose is super deep bourbon soaked earthy wood. Any brandy comes in as an afterthought. Booze soaked raisins, vanilla, and slight licorice.

More raisins and fig fade into sweet caramelly bourbon and a warm finish. Nice lingering ethanol in the finish underlays the sweet woodiness and molasses. Hint of coffee that gets overwhelmed by the bourbon. Love the contrast between the heat, the bourbon, and the sweetness of the dark fruit. Finish isn't quite as hot after it warms a bit.

Mouthfeel is medium full, slightly syrupy, and decently carbonated.

Overall this is an amazing beer. Tough to justify the price tag when there are so many good ba stouts out there, but it gets pretty damn close. The Angel's Share blend really gives it a unique twist.

look: 2 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 4.25

Appearance – A dark, menacing elixir. A deep, black and somewhat evil appearance. Terrible head. In fact, none at all. Half the bottle was poured gently with almost no bubbles whatsoever. Then pouring violently, still no head. No lacing, no head at all. Perhaps a poorly carbonated batch? If not, this is a beer that could use some active yeast.

Smell – Dark chocolate. Lots of alcohol on the nose, which cuts through quite a bit. Molasses and bourbon are very prevalent. A slightly sour malt smell.

Taste – Intense and impressive. This is where this beer shines so far. Tons of deep, dark sugars and lots of alcohol burn. This is very similar to drinking bourbon itself. Vanilla, rye/ whiskey/ bourbon toffee notes, dark roasted coffee bean (from the grains), prunes and dates. Very nice dry, woody notes and the taste is extremely complex. Very sugar forward. Not noticing a significant amount of brandy with this, but the bourbon is definitely there. The brandy is mostly found on the aftertaste. Beautiful vanilla notes on the aftertaste. Very impressive. Strong brown sugar on the finish as well. Toasted dark malts and chocolate are at the forefront. Chewy and heavy. Very heavy.

Mouthfeel – Terrible carbonation. Almost none at all with this bottle. I am hoping this is not an oversight or typical characteristic of each bottle. It is flat and dull with very little mouthfeel. However, this still manages to stimulate all parts of the tongue and roof of the mouth. Oily, slippery and thick. Creamy with a smooth feel. Imagine what this would be like with a little carbonation.

Overall - Given the ABV and given the shitty carbonation, this beer is begging to be aged. Part of me wishes I did not open this, given the fact I have no access to it until I revisit the US. Assuming the yeast is not dormant, this could age up to 10 years at 12.5 % abv and perhaps become amazing with age. This could also potentially fix the extremely poor carbonation issue. Overall, this is incredibly boozy and not for the faint of heart. If you are not a scotch or bourbon drinker, you may want to stay far, far away from this, as it is an aggressive punch to the head. Delicious and complex. I would buy this again, but at $17/ bottle, hopefully the carbonation isn't an issue when aging or drinking every bottle.

4.47/5  rDev +4.7%

2012 vintage poured from bottle into a snifter

Pours the darkest of browns with a film of tan head. There isn't much more to the head but a few mingling bubbles around the rim of the glass.

The smell is a cacophony of sweet, rich aromas. Bourbon, vanilla, figs and honey. Bourbon soaked chocolate cake with fresh vanilla beans. Alcohol esters linger towards the back...and this is where the brandy kicks in. There is a clear distinction between the bourbon and brandy. What an impressive blend.

Wow, the first sip is greeted by fiery bourbon, vanilla, licorice, oak and brandy. My mouth is instantly coated by a rich, sticky sweetness. An outstanding compliment to the sharp bourbon and brandy. Very long finish. Mellows significantly after the initial burn.

Full mouthfeel with low carbonation that leaves behind a great deal of stickiness. I could have just took one sip and had my mouth coated for the whole night. Sufficed to say, this one's a slow sipper.

Deliverance is ripe with divine, rich flavors. Sure it's really hot, but that doesn't affect how damn delicious it is. It's a beast of a beer. One that requires all your time and attention. Drink one now and lay one down for a few years down the road. This is outstanding stuff.

4.62/5  rDev +8.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: Pours very dark, nearly black. Minimal head but a thin row of bubbles is maintained on the surface.

Smell: Initially got some bourbon character, but later noticed brown sugar, caramel, some wine-like notes (?from the brandy barrels). Also some raisins.

Taste: The bourbon is there but restrained, tastes kind of like an imperial stout but seems gentler despite a definite alcohol presence. A little bit of dark fruits (like figs).

Mouthfeel: Silky smooth, but a little more carbonation might be nice.

Overall: Remains me a little of Firestone Walker Anniversary XVI but I think this is more balanced. A very complex and interesting beer, but with a steep pricetag ($15 for 375ml).

4.62/5  rDev +8.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Enjoyed at the Davis Beer Shoppe from a cooled bottle.

A- dark but deffinately not black with a thin rim of head only around the edge in a light brown ring. Lots of gorgeous oil that lingers on the glass like a sweet wine.

S- tone of whiskey barrel and brandied wood and purple velvet.

T- Hot and buttery. Tobacco, grain and bourbon.

M- good for the strong ale style but a little thin if put directly up against some of cali's great strong anniversary strong ales.

D- highly enjoyable on the right occasion or as a treat for the soul.

Great mix of two great outputs from Lost Abby. Another home run!

Deliverance from The Lost Abbey