Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Deliverance - The Lost Abbey

DeliveranceDeliverance

The Lost Abbey visit their website

American Strong Ale |  12.50% ABV

Beer added by: drummstikk on 08-09-2010

A blend of bourbon barrel-aged Serpent’s Stout and brandy barrel-aged Angels Share, Deliverance is the epic battle being waged between heaven and hell for the souls of mortal men… and your enjoyment in a glass.
Reviews: 420 | Hads: 1,849
4.12/5  rDev -3.3%

A little over 12 oz bottle, for what you'd usually pay for at least a .500, but let's get on with it.

A - Nearly black with reddish notes. Quarter inch tan head that actually stays for some time. Persistent lace.

S - Sweet dark malt and booze hit you right up front. I smell the bourbon and the brandy. There is a whiskey and a fruitier booze melded here.

T - It is what is labeled - I can taste the Serpent Stout and the Angel Share here. It's a nice blend. Fun. American Strong Ale, with Stout attributes, all aged in boozy barrels. Nice.

M - OK, if nothing else, IT IS CARBONATED. Way to go, Tomme! The malt is pretty sweet, but the booze cuts it a little. Over all, stays on the sweet side.

D - It's a small bottle as I said, but it is enough for me. I still wish it had been a .500 for the price and I could have shared it with a friend. Nice stuff. (861 characters)

4.17/5  rDev -2.1%

Got this from nerd; another generous extra! Poured into a tulip. Nice very black. The pour seems thick and oily. A quarter inch head covers the body.

About all I can smell at first is chocolate. Lots of sweet chocolate. A noticeable vanilla aroma is also present. A hint of mocha is also noted. These are a lot of the same aromas found in many barrel aged beers, but this is probably one of the most potent ones if had a whiff of.

Very complex taste here. The velvety feeling is noticed first, so I'm bringing it up before the taste. I nice coffee sweetness is how this beer starts, but it finishes with a sting of vanilla and bourbon. There is a bit of heat in the finish.

As noted before, this one has a nice velvety feel, kind of like a thicker Kate the Great.

Not too drinkable, but a very enjoyable sipper. Love it. (824 characters)

4.03/5  rDev -5.4%

Poured into a snifter.

A - pretty damn awesome! Black as night, like a stout, but with a much thinner consistency. Also a nice tan head on top for a few moments.

S - bourbon, brandy, oak, vanilla, burnt sugar, espresso.

T - same as the nose, but there's definitely a sweet taste to it, which I'm assuming is from the brandy.

M - nice carbonation, a good array of flavors, but a little sweet and hot still.

D - I should've let this one sit for a while, but it was my first and I always like trying one fresh before I age it. Angel's Share bourbon is one of my all time favorite brews and I guess I was kinda expecting Deliverance to be like it, but it's not quite on the same level. Definitely delicious, but the heat from this one is much more pronounced and a little unpleasant when compared to that of a fresh Angel's Share. (834 characters)

3.7/5  rDev -13.1%

A-Poured into an oversized red wine glass. Pours cola brown with 1/4 inch of chocolate milk colored head. Leaves almost no lacing.

S-Smells heavily of Angel's Share. An oak bomb. Slightly phenolic.

T/M-Tastes like a slightly roastier Angel's Share. All oak up front. Some of the roasty malts come through mid-palate, but there's a lack of complexity here. Body is soft, like heavy whipping cream. The finish falls off. Surprisingly abrupt.

D-There is a real arrogance in charging $20 for a 12oz bottle of this. Who do Lost Abbey think they're fooling? This beer is ridiculously overpriced, for how little complexity it has. Ultimately it's pretty good, but feels incomplete and underdone. This is why I rarely buy Tomme's limited releases. (742 characters)

4.7/5  rDev +10.3%

Great beer overall, thanks to Fuson and Marky Mark for finding this at Binny's for me.

Smelled the bourbon as soon as the bottle was opened, basically. That was the predominant smell, I got some chocolate or cocoa in there too, but the bourbon was dominant.

Look was great, poured into a glass with just a little head, nice and dark, looks very velvety. Still smelled great.

First taste, got a very surprisingly mild bourbon taste for the smell, still enough to warm you on the way down, but not overpowering enough to burn or make me think that it was one-dimensional. Still got some small background of chocolate and sweetness.

Delicious the whole way through, much more drinkable than my normal bourbon beers, really great beer for my first Lost Abbey tasting! (768 characters)

4.4/5  rDev +3.3%

Aroma:Bourbon, vanilla, raisins, currants, hot alcohol, reminiscent of a cake batter.

Appearance:Dark mahogany in color, very little head, good lacing.

Taste:Lots of bourbon, dark malts, walnut.

Mouthfeel:Medium to thick body. Harsh alcohol burn, good carbonation.

Drinkability:It's a good sipper, but it's got some harsh notes that will probably do well with some age on it. (379 characters)

4.31/5  rDev +1.2%

Received in a trade from stfun37, thanks man.

Pours a dark cola in color with minimal head and no lacing. A light mocha ring sticks with the beer as I drink it down. The smell is fantastic with a number of different scents making an appearance (butterscotch, fig, molasses, malt and more). Really a nice smelling beer. Taste is equally appealing and similar to the nose. I am blown away by the lack of hotness on this one as I expected the alcohol to hit the roof of my mouth and it didn't at all. A dynamic beer. Great mouthfeel too with an initial carb tingle foloowed by nice creamyness. The alcohol catches up with me in my throat after several swigs and hurts the drinkability but minimally.

Search this one out if you like a rich and flavorful brew. (759 characters)

4.22/5  rDev -0.9%

This was pricy but I'm a sucker for rip-offs. I found this for $17.99, small Lost Abbey bottle. Poured last night with a couple of other guys before a poker game, not a wise choice but then again we drank beer through the entire evening so the poker wasn't too serious.

The beer pours a dark brown to black color, completely opaque and with a very thin tan foam. It smells just the way I like barrel aged beers to smell, lots of brandy and bourbon, vanilla and toffee and all manner of sweet things. One of the best non-wild aromas I've had from Lost Abbey to date.

It tastes nearly perfect but maybe a little hot, then again it could be the bourbon/brandy flavors are to blame for the recognition of alcohol flavor. Beyond that there's some malty sweetness, not too much roastiness but more sweetness. The vanilla and chocolate notes come together like dessert.

Good carbonation, which is an unexpected treat in a Lost Abbey beer. Very well done all around. Now they just have to reduce their costs. (1,003 characters)

3.7/5  rDev -13.1%

Thanks to OtakuAle for the trade. Pours dark brown with plenty of carbonation. Smells a lot like Angels Share - loads of bourbon, vanilla, fruit, spice. Tastes quite good - bourbon, caramel, vanilla, fruit. A sweet malt bomb. Tons of alcohol is present in the flavor and it's really hot. About as conspicuous a burning hot alcohol beer as I can recall having had. That said, this is a nice sipper and is easily shared with a friend despite being only 375 ml. Body is on the thick side with medium carbonation appropriate for the style. Overall, I like this beer, but for the price and given the alcohol heat, one is enough for me. (630 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +4.9%

A: Yay! Carbonation haha. Poured a brownish amber with good carbonation and a beige head

S: Big and good. Lots of vanilla, wood, topacco, caramel, dark fruits, molasses

T: Wow. Follows the nose well. Does not feel like 12.5 ABV to me. Booze is sharp on the end but ohter than it is just mild heat. Vanilla, wood, tobacco, caramel, dark fruits, molasses, toffee, bourbon

M: Good, warm, balanced as a beer this big can be

D: very, very good! Not sure I would pay the freight on this again but it was worth trying once for sure. (529 characters)

3.82/5  rDev -10.3%

Shared with kkipple

Appearance: pour is a dark-mahogany with a light tan head, some head and lacing

smell: toffee, fudge, caramel, rated malts, faint bourbon and vanilla

Taste: Similar to the aroma, fudge, toffee, caramel, and faint bourbon, vanilla and oak. O wish the bourbon elements were a bit more pronounced, kkipple enjoyed this one much more than I did. I don't think it compares to Angle's Share grand cru. I have never really been crazy about serpent's stout and it is too present here.

Mouthfeel: smooth, nice soft carbonation, perhaps a bit thin.

Drinkability: I was glad I split this one with someone; glad it was only 375ml (642 characters)

4.2/5  rDev -1.4%

Served in a pint glass

Thanks to TMoney2591 for sharing this highly sought and priced beer.

The pours a deep blackness topped by a decent amount of tan foam. The nose comprises of most things heavy. There is some coffee, chocolate, whiskey, brandy, and oak along with various other sweet fruits that are hard to pick out amongst the myriad of aromas present. The flavor is wonderful. It tastes up front as if there is a very cherry-whiskey-syrupy flavor that is masked due to the smoothness of the beer. All of the sudden after you have finished with the mouthful, BAM! You are hit with the woody oak flavor that is quite unparalleled. It is a deep rich flavor, but a bit on the strong and boozy side. It's really a delicious beer and a heavy recommendation for anyone willing to shell out the cash required to purchase one of these bad boys. (844 characters)

Grabbed this today at Berman's in Lexington. Very cool artwork of angels and demons fighting over somebody. The color is almost completely black, with just a small amount of lacing as far as the head goes. The nose is of molten chocolate cake, molasses, and naturally brandy and bourbon. Wow, the alcohol is very present in the taste, giving it the feel of a spirit. Very similar to the nose, but there are some underlying fruit notes that makes it all the more interesting. Despite the heat from the alcohol, the mouthfeel is not especially huge, more in the middle I would say. The carbonation is also kept in check well. Like enjoying a spirit neat or on the rocks, this is one to sip slowly, and let develop as it warms to room temperature. Although grossly overpriced, this is another quality brew from Lost Abbey. I would be interested in trying the Bourbon barrel aged Serpent Stout, which is one of the brews (along with Brandy Angel's Share) blended in here. Cheers (974 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +1.4%

Served in a shaker pint glass.

Glad to see this made a wider distribution than I originally had thought. It pours a deathly black topped by about three-quarters of a finger of light tan foam. The nose comprises molasses, chocolate syrup, brown sugar, cinnamon, oak, whiskey, vanilla, and maple syrup. The taste leads with all of those lovely dark notes, similarly to a rich imperial stout, but then a secondary wave of whiskey-infused oak criss-crosses the tongue, colliding with the original flavor inhabitants. It's quite an experience, and an altogether pleasant one, at that. The body is quite hefty, with a light carbonation and a syrupy, almost chewy feel. Honestly, if it were a bit thicker/heavier, this would have been perfect, I think. Overall, a very tasty cuvee, one that finally lives up to the usual Lost Abbey hype machine. (839 characters)

4.37/5  rDev +2.6%

Blend of bourbon Serpent's Stout and brandy Angel's Share pours into my glass a wonderfully deep viscous black with a half inch of dark tan foam on top. Aromas seep out with rich dark malts, raisins, dark fruits, toffee, caramel and char. Loads of oak melding with bright bourbon and sweet brandy accents. Vanilla and alcohol soaked wood. Enticing and complex!

First sip brings a smooth melding of bourbon and brandy alongside dark roasted malts, chocolate, caramel, raisins and dark fruits. Vanilla and woody oak tones seamlessly float across the palate. Toffee with a burnt accent. Flows down with some alcohol heat, bitterness and lingering sweet brandy. The best of both brews shine through here in this intoxicating brew.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied with good carbonation. Not overly heavy and goes down smooth considering the high gravity here. Overall, this ranks up there as one of my favorite Lost Abbey releases...the melding of bourbon and brandy is quite nice. (973 characters)

3.97/5  rDev -6.8%

This showed up at my local beer store. Sweet find! 12.7 oz bottle...

A: Super medium black with a 1 inch mocha colored head that fades at a quick rate to a nice thin layer atop the brew. Good.

S: I get some heavy whiskey upfront blended with some raisin and dark fruit scents. Some toffee immediately follows in the middle with some creamy walnut on the backend. Smells very good!

T: First sip is a lot lighter and less intense than expected from the scent. I get creamy caramel walnut blended with some carbonated booze. A slight hidden tartness segways the front to the middle which has some almost peach raisin flavors. I don't get much on the backend. The more I drink this, the stranger the blend of these flavors gets. Good.

M: Medium body with a heavy carbonation feel. Decent.

D: This does not go down as easy as I would have hoped. The booziness and the hidden tartness make for a strange blend. Decent.

All in all, this is a good brew. Not great. I am kind of disappointed by LA by this one as I had higher hopes for it. Guess I set the bar a little too high. Great to try at least once if you like big beers, as I am a big beer lover, but don't expect to be floored by this one. (1,195 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +1.4%

Had on tap at Ladyface. Glad I was able to try this on tap before popping open a $16 dollar 375ml bottle.

Appearance - Poured into a tulip by the bartender with about a finger of dark, mocha head that dissipates rather quickly, but leaves some nice, thin lacing on the sides of the glass for how potent this beer is.

Smell - The nose is full of wonderful aromas. Dark fruit, bourbon, heavy vanilla and oak, bittersweet chocolate, some leather and tobacco. You can just tell this is going to be a big, bad beer.

Taste - Honestly, not what I was expecting, but now that I type this out, I'm not sure what I really was anticipating the taste to be. There really is an earthy quality to it, with of course bourbon and vanilla prominent. Oak, roasted malts, and chocolate come forward after the beer warms up a little bit more, along with dark fruits and toasty caramel. Not overly sweet, though even if it was, I think the alcohol bite detracts from the sweetness.

Mouthfeel - Medium bodied, lower carbonation.

Drinkability - A sipper for sure. I was at the bar for quite a while with just an 8oz pour, and it was somewhat of a chore to finish. I did go in at an odd time (2pm) to avoid the hustle and bustle so I could be sure I would be able to enjoy my beer without feeling pressured to finish it up quick and either order another or leave. It was a bit hot for me, and I could defiantly smell alcohol in the nose and taste it. I have two of these in my cellar right now and don't think I will revisit them for about a year, and have it as a night cap on a cold night. Overall, a very interesting beer and was glad I was able to try it now so I can see how it ages later. (1,675 characters)

Thanks, Nanoslugs.

Opaque and murky brownish-black, a shade darker than Angel's Share. A small tan head forms and sticks around for a while; carbonation is at a lower medium level, just about spot-on for the style.

Great aroma, brandy and bourbon barrel richness abound, caramel and chocolate sweetness that makes me think of Tootsie Rolls. Dark fruit notes lend some depth beneath the strong barrel character. Boozy and decadent, this may be a bit young, but I love it.

Chocolate caramel candy is again prevalent on the palate. Quite a bit of brash alcohol too, but I don't mind. Dark fruit appears mid-palate, and there's just enough tannic oak to balance the sweetness. The flavors lean toward Angel's Share, but there's a touch more chocolate, roast and dark fruit. It's great fresh, but it should be excellent in a few months when some of the harshness fades. (867 characters)

4.67/5  rDev +9.6%

What happens when I bring a bottle of Deliverance to drink in São Paulo? Find out now:

Blackish brown colored, the small head is respectable for the style, the legs it leaves in the glass are a thing to watch. Its nose is even more beautiful; very fragrant and full of chocolate, bourbon, vanilla, oak, yum,! Its taste great, aged vanilla, chocolate, toasted oak, more of that glorious spirit, a little grape. The alcohol is buried very well, only a trickle is felt in the mouth until it goes down and warms your throat. It's thick and coating in the mouth, gently carbonated, which means it feels awesome as well.

What a treat! Too bad it's $14.99 for a 375 ml bottle. I guess I'll have to wait to find it on-tap to sample again. (734 characters)

4.22/5  rDev -0.9%

I believe that this was bmanning's bottle, thanks. Very cool beer.

Beer is black to brown and hazy at the corners with a thin tan head, no real lacing, moderate to low carbonation.

WHOA...brandy...liquor and malt. Very strong.

Beer is medium bodied and sweet with mild roast at the back. The liquor components in the mouth are there but it was much more obvious in the nose than the palate. Beer seems mildly hot. Drinkability is still quite good and I would recommend it and try it again, especially after a year. (517 characters)

3.97/5  rDev -6.8%

Cheers to rmjavanut for including this in our trade. 375 mL cork and cage poured into my Duvel tulip.

The beer pours stout black (given that Angel's Share was pretty dark in its own right and it was blended with a stout this isn't surprising), with about a finger of caramel colored head rising up. The foamy cap lingers for just a second before dissipating. Not bad for such a big beer, but nothing out of the ordinary either. The nose hints that this beer is going to be an absolute chocolate bomb (fine by me). Even more so than that though is the smell of bourbon, and just a hint of brandy. The nose is decent, but a little too alcohol dominant. I find more balance in Deliverance as I sip on it. The booze is definitely still there, but the rich, roasty chocolate really asserts itself here. Especially as the beer warms and mellows out a little bit the chocolate becomes the main attraction. It's also a pretty thick beer, and overall I'd say it reminds me of Goose Island BCS, just a rich, viscous, chocolate and bourbon milkshake (although with a splash of brandy this time around). I can't say Deliverance is flat, like my last Lost Abbey beer was, but it's only just barely carbonated. A beer this big and rich shouldn't have explosive carbonation, but it shouldn't be something I have to strain this hard to find either. Deliverance is surely a sipper, as while I emphasized the chocolate when discussing the flavor, alcohol is definitely present as well. It works out to the drinker's advantage though, as I find Deliverance to only improve as it warms up. Now, if Lost Abbey could just get these beers properly carbonated ;) (1,639 characters)

4.36/5  rDev +2.3%

Pours a deep, rich black with dark brown highlights and a slight off-white head. The nose is very boozy - brandy-soaked dark fruits with bourbon and oak.

The beer's flavor is less boozy than its smell would suggest, almost surprisingly so, and is very luxurious and complex. The taste of bourbon and brandy are both abundant but more subtle in taste, accompanied by the sweetness of dark, burnt caramel with hints of chocolate. The beer is almost dessert like, but without being overly sweet or at all cloying.

The mouthfeel is medium-bodied and lightly carbonated, and, though this is a beer to sip and enjoy slowly it is also very drinkable considering its overall complexity.

I've had nothing but bad luck with Lost Abbey's The Angel's Share (both bourbon and brandy aged) so this beer was both a relief and a revelation. (829 characters)

4.37/5  rDev +2.6%

From 09/25/10 notes. Brought this bottle to a small tasting.

a - Pours a dark brown color with one inch of tan head and light carbonation evident.

s - Smells of bourbon, oak, vanilla, dark fruit, and chocolate. More chocolate than I was expecting, I really liked the smell of this one.

t - Tastes of bourbon, oak, vanilla, chocolate, roasted malts, dark fruit, and light toffee.

m - Medium to full body and low carbonation. Pretty smooth.

d - Overall I thought this was a very good beer. I didn't like it quite as much as the AS Grand Cru, but it was much better than the AS Brandy and Bourbon barrel bottles I have had. I really thought the nose and taste were complex and balanced. I liked the nose a little more than the taste but both were great. Would love to try again. (780 characters)

3.94/5  rDev -7.5%

On-tap at Beachwood BBQ,

A: Pours a dark brown with a mild off-white head. Average retention, leaves good lace.

S: Very similar to Angel's Share. Big brandy and bourbon nose, with a lot of chocolate.

T: Dark chocolate with an elegant malt character. The roasted malt comes out a bit more with the Serpent's Stout included, but I think I like the straight up caramelized malt and Brandy of the original Angel's Share. Still a good flavour for sure.

M: Full-bodied, thick, lightly boozy, quite smooth.

D: A must try for me, I liked it, but I'm glad I didn't pony up the $15 for the bottle, much cheaper on draft. It's good, but not that good. (645 characters)

3.7/5  rDev -13.1%

Poured into a new belgium snifter. Color is opaque black/very dark brown, with a thin mocha head that fades to the outer edge. Looks identical to Angel's Share, but with carbonation. Smell is bourbon off the bat followed by lots of brandy. No surprise there, but it is nice. Lots of alcohol heat and a tiny bit of chocolate. Taste is a great blend of the brandy and bourbon with a strong hot finish. Slightly bitter, lasting flavor is of milk chocolate. Mouthfeel is VERY light carbonation and a heavy, coating feel. For the style it is appropriate, but just barely fizzy. Drinkability is low for this one due to the abv - its very filling. The complex malt and barrel flavors keep me wanting more though. (705 characters)

Deliverance from The Lost Abbey