Deliverance - The Lost Abbey

DeliveranceDeliverance

The Lost Abbey visit their website

American Strong Ale |  14.60% ABV

A blend of Brandy Barrel Angel's Share and Bourbon Barrel Serpent's Stout.

ABV varies by batch.

(Beer added by: drummstikk on 08-09-2010)

miggs3030, Jul 04, 2014

KVota, Feb 28, 2013

EricTheRed, Feb 18, 2013

ahbithwabm, Apr 01, 2014
4.98/5  rDev +15.5%

I haven't had Angel's Share (I missed my chance last time it was available) but I hear its awesome and Serpent's Stout is literally one of the best stouts I have ever had so I go into this excited. Nose is surprisingly sweet. Vanilla, sherry, caramel, oak, cherries, chocolate, chocolate covered cherries, plums, figs, dark fruits and grape. Taste is strong, oak flavors up front with vanilla and chocolate. Cherries and grapes follow with some assistance from dark fruits. Definite booziness; warming but not overwhelming. The barrels really come through in an awesome way and they don't fight each other. There are very distinct bourbon notes up front followed right on the heels by the fruitier brandy flavors. The mouthfeel is smooth, silky, slightly hot and awesome. This is one the greatest barrel aged ales I have ever tasted, hands down.

DonDirkA, Aug 23, 2012
4.98/5  rDev +15.5%

Amazing nose and flavor of chocolate, bourbon, sherry, cherries, brandy, toffee, fig, date, raisin, sandalwood, and coffee. Beautifully balanced with almost no carbonation, but a voluptuous mouthfeel that is coating, and helps the finish to last incredibly long.

I'm a moderate fan of Serpent Stout, and only a marginal fan of The Angel's Share, but this blend is absolutely fantastic!

Impfan, Sep 29, 2012
4.95/5  rDev +14.8%

The cork popped and I instantly knew everything was gonna be ok. The dark velvet pours slowly into my stemless Chardonnay producing a light tan head that quickly gives way to the darkness.

The smell is amazing. Bourbon and dark fruits float up to the nose, with slight vinous notes and tons of oaky vanilla. A faint chocolate hiding behind the vanilla of the barrel. The brandy comes out as it warms, definitely worth the wait.

Taste is bourbon filled chocolate with an amazing vanilla note on the back end. A vine-like booze flavor jumps into the rink as the beer warms. While it's warming, it's definitely not bad, it would be incredibly amazing in the winter but I can't fault it even in the summer.

Overall I have to say that this is most certainly one of the best beers I've had. I limit most of my reviews to beers that are unique or unusually good or bad, but I have to say that this brew is phenomenal. This is easily in my top 5, I would definitely take one over KBS any day.

Nashvillain, Aug 04, 2011
4.94/5  rDev +14.6%

Deliver me from evil. Wow, this beer rocks. Strong taste with bourbon and vanilla, fruit like undertones. Great bouquet and nice dark color. I've been waiting for a while to try this beer and was only holding back because of cost. At $16 for a 12 oz bottle, I'm not going to drink too many of these, but I will drink them on days that end in a y. Great overall beer. Nice dark color, sweet vanilla fruity taste and good strong alcohol taste. Love it!

Heynow007, Mar 27, 2013
4.93/5  rDev +14.4%

Deliver me from evil... Deliverance from the Lost Abbey is a strong, very strong beer. It pours black with no head because of the 12.5% ABV. The brandy and bourbon flavors swirl in your mouth.
Succumb to the madness. Pray for your deliverance from this hellish temptress.

dvanhandel, Sep 01, 2013
4.92/5  rDev +14.2%

Fidy, Sep 13, 2014
4.9/5  rDev +13.7%

Bottle bought in Summer 2013 at Minogues in Saratoga Springs NY. Hand written 2013 visible on label.

Bottle says 12.5% unlike the header for this beer.

Pours no head. Very dark. A bright flashlight cannot be seen through the beer without looking through the top showing a dark hued deep amber red. Appears very low carbonation. Smell is cocoa, chocolate and oak; very nice. Taste is mouth meltingly delicious. Chocolate, malty goodness with hints of dry oak and nut with slight hints of brandy and fruit. Mouth-feel is medium to full bodied goodness and it hangs around. I really like this beer and it is a must have.

coriswrasse, Jun 22, 2014
4.88/5  rDev +13.2%

A: Pours pitch black and leaves a solid head that looks like slightly browner frothy espresso, looks magnificent with the head, but it quickly goes away and leaves no lacing except for a small ring around the glass, love the way this beer looks, granted most stouts are pitch black but there are certain one's that really catch your eye for some reason and this is one of those beers

S: Blown away in this category as well, every time you smell this beer you notice something a little different or you pick up a stronger hint of a smell, , the strongest smell I get is vanilla from the oak and quickly followed by a strong but not overwhelming brandy presence, great mixture from the two, I also get a slight hint of anise, a nice amount of chocolate, slight hint of tobacco, and slight hint of coffee, sometimes I get a slight hint of dark fruits as well which only adds to the already exceptional smell, sometimes I get a very very light caramel presence as well, absolutely fantastic!

T: At first I was going to rate this at a 4.25 because the flavor seems very mashed together, not a whole lot of complexity to it, but the more you drink it and let the beer warm, the more complex it gets. Right away you get that oak vanilla and brandy mixture which is phenomenal, vanilla is present throughout in this beer, but it is not overbearing or sweet, perfect balance for it, after the initial barrel presences it is followed with a slight amount of anise, great chocolate/coffee/tobacco mixture and a slight presence of those dark slightly tart fruits, outstanding flavor, the taste follows the nose, the more you search in this beer the more you find, transitions nicely as the beer warms and the more you drink it

M: this is the category I am a little upset with, the feel is great, but it doesn't quite go with this beer IMO, the feel is medium bodied and I think a beer with a flavor profile like this needs to have a thick mouthfeel, this is the kind of beer that you like to sit down and relax and sip on it for awhile, and that thick mouthfeel IMO would make it just that much better

O: Excellent beer, one of the best barrel blends I have ever had, I almost regretted buying this beer because of the price tag, but now I am wishing I picked up a couple more, and will be buying this any time I see it at a bottle shop, must try!

bpasquini, Apr 14, 2014
4.88/5  rDev +13.2%

Bottle shared by bvery at Darkness Day 2012, thanks dude! Dark with some head. Aroma and taste as expected, just a delicious mix of an imperial stout and barleywine (my two favorite styles) with the yummy bourbon. Need to try this again and rate under more ideal conditions.

ryanfolty, Jan 05, 2013
4.83/5  rDev +12.1%

A: Pours a deep dark chocolate brown. Decent beige head for the style which quickly dissipates into a ring. Leaves a nice sticky lace.

S: Nice balance of both bourbon and brandy in the nose, with roasty coffee, dark fruit, vanilla, and fudge. Really intense and amazing.

T: One of the most amazingly complex and orgasmic beers I've ever had. You get all of the sweet flavors mentioned in the smell and they are complimented with plenty of brandy and a strong bourbon kick. Nice balanced heat.

M: In spite of being low on carbonation, this is very frothy and silky. It's got that thick motor oil viscosity of a great RIS, which I was surprised with due to it being a blend. It really does retain the best elements of both styles in the blend.

O: I'm a huge fan of dark barrel-aged beers, and I'd say this is one of my all-time favorites. It's a great winter sipper.

GoldenVIKE, Mar 05, 2012