Deliverance - The Lost Abbey

DeliveranceDeliverance

The Lost Abbey visit their website

American Strong Ale |  14.60% ABV

A blend of Brandy Barrel Angel's Share and Bourbon Barrel Serpent's Stout.

ABV varies by batch.

(Beer added by: drummstikk on 08-09-2010)
lbour

04-01-2014 20:02:47 | More by ahbithwabm
DonDirkA

Arizona

4.98/5  rDev +15.8%

I haven't had Angel's Share (I missed my chance last time it was available) but I hear its awesome and Serpent's Stout is literally one of the best stouts I have ever had so I go into this excited. Nose is surprisingly sweet. Vanilla, sherry, caramel, oak, cherries, chocolate, chocolate covered cherries, plums, figs, dark fruits and grape. Taste is strong, oak flavors up front with vanilla and chocolate. Cherries and grapes follow with some assistance from dark fruits. Definite booziness; warming but not overwhelming. The barrels really come through in an awesome way and they don't fight each other. There are very distinct bourbon notes up front followed right on the heels by the fruitier brandy flavors. The mouthfeel is smooth, silky, slightly hot and awesome. This is one the greatest barrel aged ales I have ever tasted, hands down.

08-23-2012 08:54:45 | More by DonDirkA
Impfan

Washington

4.98/5  rDev +15.8%

Amazing nose and flavor of chocolate, bourbon, sherry, cherries, brandy, toffee, fig, date, raisin, sandalwood, and coffee. Beautifully balanced with almost no carbonation, but a voluptuous mouthfeel that is coating, and helps the finish to last incredibly long.

I'm a moderate fan of Serpent Stout, and only a marginal fan of The Angel's Share, but this blend is absolutely fantastic!

09-29-2012 20:47:38 | More by Impfan
Nashvillain

4.95/5  rDev +15.1%

The cork popped and I instantly knew everything was gonna be ok. The dark velvet pours slowly into my stemless Chardonnay producing a light tan head that quickly gives way to the darkness.

The smell is amazing. Bourbon and dark fruits float up to the nose, with slight vinous notes and tons of oaky vanilla. A faint chocolate hiding behind the vanilla of the barrel. The brandy comes out as it warms, definitely worth the wait.

Taste is bourbon filled chocolate with an amazing vanilla note on the back end. A vine-like booze flavor jumps into the rink as the beer warms. While it's warming, it's definitely not bad, it would be incredibly amazing in the winter but I can't fault it even in the summer.

Overall I have to say that this is most certainly one of the best beers I've had. I limit most of my reviews to beers that are unique or unusually good or bad, but I have to say that this brew is phenomenal. This is easily in my top 5, I would definitely take one over KBS any day.

08-04-2011 02:05:09 | More by Nashvillain
Heynow007

4.94/5  rDev +14.9%

Deliver me from evil. Wow, this beer rocks. Strong taste with bourbon and vanilla, fruit like undertones. Great bouquet and nice dark color. I've been waiting for a while to try this beer and was only holding back because of cost. At $16 for a 12 oz bottle, I'm not going to drink too many of these, but I will drink them on days that end in a y. Great overall beer. Nice dark color, sweet vanilla fruity taste and good strong alcohol taste. Love it!

03-27-2013 02:20:05 | More by Heynow007
dvanhandel

4.93/5  rDev +14.7%

Deliver me from evil... Deliverance from the Lost Abbey is a strong, very strong beer. It pours black with no head because of the 12.5% ABV. The brandy and bourbon flavors swirl in your mouth.
Succumb to the madness. Pray for your deliverance from this hellish temptress.

09-01-2013 22:57:32 | More by dvanhandel
coriswrasse

4.9/5  rDev +14%

Bottle bought in Summer 2013 at Minogues in Saratoga Springs NY. Hand written 2013 visible on label.

Bottle says 12.5% unlike the header for this beer.

Pours no head. Very dark. A bright flashlight cannot be seen through the beer without looking through the top showing a dark hued deep amber red. Appears very low carbonation. Smell is cocoa, chocolate and oak; very nice. Taste is mouth meltingly delicious. Chocolate, malty goodness with hints of dry oak and nut with slight hints of brandy and fruit. Mouth-feel is medium to full bodied goodness and it hangs around. I really like this beer and it is a must have.

06-22-2014 22:43:48 | More by coriswrasse
bpasquini

4.88/5  rDev +13.5%

A: Pours pitch black and leaves a solid head that looks like slightly browner frothy espresso, looks magnificent with the head, but it quickly goes away and leaves no lacing except for a small ring around the glass, love the way this beer looks, granted most stouts are pitch black but there are certain one's that really catch your eye for some reason and this is one of those beers

S: Blown away in this category as well, every time you smell this beer you notice something a little different or you pick up a stronger hint of a smell, , the strongest smell I get is vanilla from the oak and quickly followed by a strong but not overwhelming brandy presence, great mixture from the two, I also get a slight hint of anise, a nice amount of chocolate, slight hint of tobacco, and slight hint of coffee, sometimes I get a slight hint of dark fruits as well which only adds to the already exceptional smell, sometimes I get a very very light caramel presence as well, absolutely fantastic!

T: At first I was going to rate this at a 4.25 because the flavor seems very mashed together, not a whole lot of complexity to it, but the more you drink it and let the beer warm, the more complex it gets. Right away you get that oak vanilla and brandy mixture which is phenomenal, vanilla is present throughout in this beer, but it is not overbearing or sweet, perfect balance for it, after the initial barrel presences it is followed with a slight amount of anise, great chocolate/coffee/tobacco mixture and a slight presence of those dark slightly tart fruits, outstanding flavor, the taste follows the nose, the more you search in this beer the more you find, transitions nicely as the beer warms and the more you drink it

M: this is the category I am a little upset with, the feel is great, but it doesn't quite go with this beer IMO, the feel is medium bodied and I think a beer with a flavor profile like this needs to have a thick mouthfeel, this is the kind of beer that you like to sit down and relax and sip on it for awhile, and that thick mouthfeel IMO would make it just that much better

O: Excellent beer, one of the best barrel blends I have ever had, I almost regretted buying this beer because of the price tag, but now I am wishing I picked up a couple more, and will be buying this any time I see it at a bottle shop, must try!

04-14-2014 07:25:20 | More by bpasquini
ryanfolty

4.88/5  rDev +13.5%

Bottle shared by bvery at Darkness Day 2012, thanks dude! Dark with some head. Aroma and taste as expected, just a delicious mix of an imperial stout and barleywine (my two favorite styles) with the yummy bourbon. Need to try this again and rate under more ideal conditions.

01-05-2013 23:26:44 | More by ryanfolty
GoldenVIKE

4.83/5  rDev +12.3%

A: Pours a deep dark chocolate brown. Decent beige head for the style which quickly dissipates into a ring. Leaves a nice sticky lace.

S: Nice balance of both bourbon and brandy in the nose, with roasty coffee, dark fruit, vanilla, and fudge. Really intense and amazing.

T: One of the most amazingly complex and orgasmic beers I've ever had. You get all of the sweet flavors mentioned in the smell and they are complimented with plenty of brandy and a strong bourbon kick. Nice balanced heat.

M: In spite of being low on carbonation, this is very frothy and silky. It's got that thick motor oil viscosity of a great RIS, which I was surprised with due to it being a blend. It really does retain the best elements of both styles in the blend.

O: I'm a huge fan of dark barrel-aged beers, and I'd say this is one of my all-time favorites. It's a great winter sipper.

03-05-2012 12:24:14 | More by GoldenVIKE
OWSLEY069

4.83/5  rDev +12.3%

Pours jet black with a small light tan head. In the aroma, huge bourbon presence. In the taste, mellow bourbon notes, with a small malty roast in the there. A small alcohol bite and a medium bodied mouthfeel, with a small dry vanilla and bourbon like aftertaste. Big bourbon all day, notes of vanilla, alcohol, and a small roasty malt.

11-23-2012 17:21:43 | More by OWSLEY069
DoubleSimcoe

4.8/5  rDev +11.6%

Deliverance, bottle bought at Nejaime's Wine Cellar in Lenox, MA, for a good $17.95. I saw many Lost Abbey beers during my time in Illinois (had a horrible bottle of '09 Brandy Angel's Share and enjoyed an alright-but-tedious Lost&Found, plus Serpent Stout on tap), but this was a new one for me.

Appearance: Poured in a plastic cup at a cheap motel in the Berkshires, Deliverance comes black and then some (it was after midnight with dim light and a wintry chill). You would think it's either coffee or cola. One-finger mocha-colored head that remains throughout. Beautiful retention and lacing.

Smell: Coffee, cola, liquorice, vanilla, wood, char. Caramel. Autumn. A beautiful, evocative beer. Perfect for this chilly fall weather in the mountains.

Taste: Yum! Now we are FINALLY talking, Lost Abbey! As the saying goes, "I could drink this all day". A perfect mixture of sweet and savory, with some booze to measure. Raisins, vanilla, toffee, bubblegum. Some smoke and country ham, distant. Chocolate, more cola at the end.

Mouthfeel: Just about perfect carbonation, almost full body (could use a tad more, though) and great balance. Nicely hot and boozy at the end, with a sticky finish that stays in the lips.

Overall: This drinks phenomenal. So delicious, balanced, engaging. A sipper or a chugger, but no trace of 12.5%.

My fourth Lost Abbey and the first truly great one. Worth the price? Almost. I'll buy it again if I see it.

10-17-2011 04:00:14 | More by DoubleSimcoe
Rich1818

Colorado

08-20-2014 21:30:55 | More by Rich1818
TheGordianKnot

4.8/5  rDev +11.6%

Thanks to Nashvillain for this nice birthday surprise! Poured into stemless wine glass...

A- Cork popped off, whew!... I was glad to see that. Pours pitch black with a cm of dark mocha head. Settles to a film quickly.

S- Dancing plethora of aromas in my nose. Bourbon, licorice, fig, alcohol, roast, vanilla and caramel! Very sweet and big...

T/M- A ton of chocolate, vanilla, and bourbon. Very sweet and complete! I get the roast from Serpents and I get the big sweet Angels Share. Beautifully perfect blend! The brandy is a bit hidden behind all the other flavors. Heavy, but not extremely tasking to get through the palate. Smooth, slick, wonderful feel.

O- This beer is too delicious, I feel like I just did something illegal by drinking this.

08-08-2011 19:27:16 | More by TheGordianKnot
JustHarmless

4.8/5  rDev +11.6%

Poured from the cage and cork bottle into a chalice glass

A- Deep mahogany color with almost no head

A- Bourbon, brandy, vanilla, dark fruits, chocolate, oak, tobacco

T- Follows the nose pretty closely with the brandy and bourbon front and center, dark fruits like raisins, oak, sweet roasted malts, vanilla, cocoa

M- Full bodied, incredibly complex but wonderfully well balanced. Alcohol is present, but no alcohol burn.

O- This is one amazing beer. Bourbony and boozy, sweet, with a strong alcohol presence. How this beer achieves so much balance is a true achievement. I want more! A true beergasm!

02-16-2012 04:06:58 | More by JustHarmless