Veritas 009 - The Lost Abbey

Beer added by: HopHead84 on 05-28-2011

Ratings: 236 | Reviews: 90
Reviews by Hotrod88:
3.19/5  rDev -15.6%

Thanks again for Ryan (ShadesofGray) for sharing his bottle of V009.

This a very wine-like beer in appearance, nose and taste. It's a very dark grape-y color with almost no carbonation. The beer smells like vanilla and oak with just a little oxidation. There is lots of vinous character in the beer, jammy blackberry and a lot of oak tannins. There is a little bit of acidity, but not much funk. A little caramel sweetness helps ground the beer, although the beer is fairly dry. Can't say I would ever try to get this again, but it was an interesting beer, that really melded the beer and wine characteristics well.

2.5/5  rDev -33.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A light purplish liquid, no head on it whatsoever. Aroma of wood, plum-raisin-fig type of dark fruit thing going on.

Tasted very flat, lacked sourness, some tartness, but really tasted like 10 commandments or something completely unsoured. Tastes like they took red wine and brandy and created a blend, very unbeerlike of you dude. Boozyness seemed to much to bear as well. No lactic sour notes. Toffee, cabernet and fig.

Really didn't find anything to say I enjoyed about this. No wait, the bottle, its a cool design! This was my least favorite bottle brought to Reno's Summer Sour Bottle Share 2011. Totally awesome that jordan brought it, but dang, just didn't work for me.

1.45/5  rDev -61.6%

From the Light Whale BIF. Poured from a 750ml corked and caged bottle into a Cantillon tulip. Shared with schen9303.

Cork ejects with a slight pop but this one pours still. No mistake about it. Pitch black and opaque too. With semi-decent legs but no lace. A good looking beer this isn't. Legs save it from being a complete fail.

Nose is ash, sour soy sauce, spoiled plum, overripe plum, mellow booze, and rancid wood. Moderately aromatic but with a stench like this, I'd rather it be barely detectable. Not good.

Opens chocolate and sour prunes. Plum character and sour say sauce towards the middle with rancid chocolate and tart, rotting wood. End is puckering and muddled soy sauce. Finishes tart prunes and plum with a lingering, sour rot aftertaste. Really odd in a terrible way. Flavors are muddled, fruit character tastes spoiled, and there's a complete lack of any carbonation.

Medium bodied with no carbonation. Oily and filmy in the mouth and oily and warm going down. Finish is messy and slick with a long, lingering aftertaste. This beer is devoid of any life. Too thick, too heavy which is key for this style.

This beer is a complete fail and I'm curious as to what world of beer does this get a passing grade? The appearance is terrible, aroma is equally bad, the flavors are muddled, and its complete devoid of any carbonation. Veritas 008 was a bit of a failed experiment but its complete gold compared to this monstrosity. Do yourself a favor and skip this one. A complete drainpour as I could only choke down about 3 ounces of this one for the review.

2.32/5  rDev -38.6%

This beer was a major disappointment for me. Lookswise it was deep brown, near black and very murky. It also had no carbonation. THe nose was interesting because both the wine barrel and bourbon barrel aging could be detected. there was a ton of oak and some fruitiness as well. However, something felt off to me in the execution and all of the flavors were a bit too overwhelming when i tasted it. There was a very strong astringent and vinegar component, an overpowering level of oak and vanilla, and just a messy and confused flavor profile. This is easily one of the biggest disappointments i have had for a beer, the flavors were trying to compete with each other and in the end made this nearly undrinkable. The person I shared the bottle with agreed and we could not get through the whole bottle.

4.97/5  rDev +31.5%

On tap at the release. Reviewed from notes. Had 2, 3oz or so tasters. Poured into a 4oz port brewing taster glass.

Pours a black to dark brown. Decent tan head dissipated to a film and left some ok lacing.

Aroma is amazing. So many things going on. Sourness up front with bourbon and then a bit of the cherries and wine from the wine barrels. I didn't think those two things went together but they marry well.

Taste is awesome. Same as above with that sort of older viz or angels share bourbon flavor mixed with the sour cherries and lactic acid and then the smooth chocolate. Nice wine characteristics as well but I wish they came through a bit more than they did.

Mouthfeel was spot on. Smooth and coats your mouth. Carbonation was spot on but this is on tap.

Overall an amazing beer that I'm glad I have 4 bottles of. Probably wont trade any off because it's so awesome.

2.16/5  rDev -42.9%

no pop on the cork, pours a still black. fairly lifeless. no carbonation.

light vanilla and bourbon with a slight tart cherry very reminiscent of red poppy.

light tart cherry with a subtle mix of grape and cheap red wine. the bourbon and vanilla blended well however they never helped this out. i found this very 2 sided and completely lacking any complexity. it was 2 parts, cherry and bourbon. nothing special here.

dead flat with a hint of dryness.

this was boring, everyone i spoke with after i opened this agreed that it was more or less terrible.

4.01/5  rDev +6.1%

Silence as the cork popped out, pour yeileded no head, flat. That seems to be the only downside to this beer. Now onto the good stuff. The nose is an amazing red wine, cherry, oak, vanilla smell. Which was really odd for an almost pitch blackish brown pour. I was confused. The taste is more inline with the nose, wonderful red wine, sour cherry and a great tartness. Mouthfeel to me was ok, i didnt miss the carbonation as much as others, but I wonder what it would have done to release more flavor if it had some bubbles.

Overall this beer is amazing, I would be happy to drink again and big thanks go out to FosterJM for splitting his bottle with me.

4.62/5  rDev +22.2%

This beer is capable of breaking brains. Poured from the bottle into a Bruery tulip.

Pour is very dark. Near black, unless placed up to the light, when a clear, dark brown color is demonstrated. Pour is heavy and flat - no bubbles. Uh oh. Swirl of the glass yields nice legs. I doubt this is 8.0% abv like the label says. Slightly menacing-looking beer.

Smell. Whoa. Weirdness. But I really dig it. Huge tart cherries predominate throughout. Bourbon is silent at cold temperatures, but makes itself known as the beer warms. Vinous aromas reminiscent of cabernet. I swear I'm getting an aroma that reminds me of truffle salt, but I'm not convinced that I'm on point with that sensation. Some dark cocoa is intermixed in all this, somehow. Really complex.

Taste is grand, particularly at warmer temperatures. Strikingly and surprisingly sour. Big sour cherrys with a tiny dollop of chocolate fudge. Bourbon isn't really there. Red wine most definitely is.

Mouthfeel is full, but not heavy. Very sticky. Looong finish. This beer will remain on your lips for hours. The only complaint here is that it could benefit from a few more bubbles - there is just a hint of a tickle of carbonation here. I thought I detected it, but my drinking buddy swears this was completely flat. We both agree, however, that it wasn't much of a detraction - this beer doesn't really need the carbonation that badly.

Overall, this is great stuff. A special occasion beer for sure, and surely one to spring on people to make their heads explode. Halfway through the glass, it occurred to me that this is a beer that I would expect Hair of the Dog to create. Somewhat akin to what might happen if Alan tossed some bugs in the Cherry Adam. Extremely complex, very interesting. Highly recommended.

4.81/5  rDev +27.2%

A: raisiny chocolatey brown with two millimeters of light brown gradient, flat, no lace.

S: sherry, kohlua and cacao, wood (especially cedar), hemp, red pepper, basil, fennel, pasta sauce, swiss cheese, light roast (non-acrid).

T: communion wine, lots of oak, lots of roast, but really nice smaller things: pomegranate, sour cherries, nutmeg, Bazooka bubble gum.

M: low to non-existent carbonation (my favorite part of this beer) and a lighter body than I would have expected--though in a great way. It feels more like a heavy read wine than anything else.

O: one of the most interesting beers that I've ever had. The stoutish part was pleasantly subdued (especially when warmed; gets much more sour as it gets warmer). Loved the wine, I think this as close as a beer has come to a good red wine (maybe a Syrah)--at least that I've tried. Very, very interesting hybrid/mutant.

3.38/5  rDev -10.6%

Big thanks goes out to funkydelic for sharing this one with me! Served from bottle into a Mikkeller taster flute. Poured a massively dark brown with a minimal khaki colored head. Maintained minimal lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, sour, fruit, and subtle wood. The flavor was of sweet malt, sour, tart cherry, wood, and subtle port. It had a medium feel on the palate with high carbonation. Overall this brew was decent. When I saw this one was being released I was quite excited to get to try it. I got to sample it while at a Foothills release thanks to thunderroad12, but not enough to review it. I wasn't overly impressed with it then. And the same was true this time around. It was decent, but it seemed like a lot of the flavors clashed together on this one, but were not invasive or untasty on the palate. It just made it a little harder to drink. Worth trying to say that you have, but there are better Veritas brews out there.

3.94/5  rDev +4.2%

(750ml bottle shared by Dak!). Pours dark brown with a slight tan head. No carbonation. Aroma has booze, fruit, wood, berries and balsamic. Taste is sweet and tart (balsamic again). Very wine-like. Medium bodied with a sticky texture. Dry finish. A unique beer that works well even without the carbonation.

4.5/5  rDev +19%

This was an extremely interesting beer with bourbon barrel aged stout and sour character, it was incredible.

4.42/5  rDev +16.9%

Shared with a group of friends at a birthday dinner. What an unexpected treat!

Smelled thick and heavy. Tasted just like Chinese black vinegar and figs. Sounds horrible, I know, but it was truly delicious.

I'm sorry for all the (slightly) mean things I said about you, Tomme. No, actually, I'm not. But this beer was incredible.

3.61/5  rDev -4.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Shared the bottle with beerbeer101. Pours a very thick and dark brown with next to no head and little to no carbonation. . The smell is of deep red wine, cherry, sour and Lil funk. The taste hits the spot immediately. Malt right after the first sip with loads of grape, cherry and dark fruit to follow. A very nice pucker but doesn’t make you squint with sourness. The barrel comes through but very little bourbon. Overall this is an outstanding beer and probably my favorite LA beer to date. Yes, the carbonation is light but does not detract from the overall enjoyment of the beer.

2.85/5  rDev -24.6%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Bottle: Poured a deep black color ale with a small almost non-existent head with zero retention. The beer is indeed flat which I find hard to know if it is by design or just another bottling issue with the brewery. Aroma of bourbon with some vanilla notes is offset by tart and kriek notes which make for a weird mix at the end of the day. Taste is a very weird mix between bourbon/vanilla notes with light roasted malt offset by tart, oak and sour cherries notes. Body is about average with zero carbonation and no apparent alcohol. I can’t say I really enjoyed this one.

4.57/5  rDev +20.9%

Served on tap at the Veritas 009 release party. 4 oz pour into a Port Brewing / Lost Abbey taster.

A: Dark and stout looking, but with tones of red and purple. Little to no head, light carbonation. Leaves some decent legs on the glass.

S: Wow, quite a bit going on here. Sour cherries, oak, bourbon, vinous. This is a very complicated brew.

T: Immediate sour hits the pallete upon first sip. It mellows off into a bourbon-like after-taste. Sour cherries pucker the mouth. This drink really goes down warm. Flavors changed through each sip.

M: Very light with little to no viscosity. It seems a little flat on the back-end and could use some carbonation.

Edited on 8/1/11. Opened first bottle and was not impressed. Tap was much better, but most likely force carbonated.

O: A very impressive beer that has some insane complexities. I was fortunate enough to try a glass the night before the release, and then a taster on the day of the release. I'm going to age my bottles and see if this gets better.

3.29/5  rDev -13%

Absolutely no POP at all on the cork.. really? I am done giving Lost Abbey a pass on carbonation issues... fucking ridiculous.. yeasty hazed porter looking brew..

Nose is good cherry and grape fruitiness.... a bit acetic... with some dark chocolate

Flavor shows a good sweet/sour mix of dark chocolate and sweet vinegar soaked cherries... burning acetic mess down the gullet...

Pretty thick given the NO CARBONATION..

Not terrible, but pretty okay when cold... with warmth, this is a vinegar bomb.

2.5/3.5/3.5/3/3

4.97/5  rDev +31.5%

its my bday so i bring out the big guns opened this one on friday night to obliterate myself. this was quite simply one of the best beers i have ever drank. a sublime mix of everything i love about beer all rolled into one.

pours a lovely dark brown, nearly black with a fluffy tan head that caps the top of the glass nicely coating the sides and really making it look the part.

aroma is nuts, hard to even explain as you have to simply be there. dark chocolate and oak, mingled with deep grape, raspberry and dark fruit notes, sour with changing flavors twirling around. its hard to get a grip on this beer!

the combination of a dark roasted chocolate/malt driven base with sour fruit is one that really needs to be expierenced to completely get it. i simply cannot make the words do this justice. finishes off with the subtlest of dryness and lovely sour flavors and all is well in the world.

stunning, now by far my favorite beer from lost abbey, no question.

4.2/5  rDev +11.1%

Thanks to Andrew for opening one and AP for sending one my way.

Appearance: Still dark brown. No carbonation whatsoever. Fairly viscous, leggy body.

Aroma: Cocoa and cherries. Subdued sourness, bourbon and red wine, balsamic vinegar, molasses. A nice mix of sweet and sour.

Palate: More tartness than I was expecting, it opens with a nice lactic twang, with tart sour cherries not far behind. Medium-full body, flavors of chocolate, molasses and bourbon work surprisingly well with the sourness. Alcohol is well hidden. The mix of cherries, lactic sourness and dark malt is pretty enjoyable. This bottle had no carbonation to speak of, but I didn't feel it was to the beer's detriment.

4.7/5  rDev +24.3%

As much talk happens about the Lost Abbey, this offering reminds us that boundaries are still being pushed in San Marcos and the results can be spectacular. I had a couple tasters of this beer, which poured menacingly black with only a few sparse bubbles to signify the presence of head. Aromas aren't best described at a packed brewery release, but what I did sense reminded of sour cherries and dark fruits, sour and vinous.

The story behind this beer is quite remarkable, and not until this beverage hit my tongue did I realize that the resulting beer actually is equally, or probably even more remarkable. I heard this was sour, so I expected a prototypical "Lost Abbey sour" with good flavor and excess acidity. What hit my tongue is not like any other Lost Abbey beer, incomparable to just about anything I have tried in the last few thousand beers I've tried.

The one word I think describes the flavor is robust--dark fruits immediately engulf the tongue, rich, satisfying sour cherries, unprecedentedly rich vinous character. Sour and oaky with a malt background, but all of these things so well integrated using any of them alone seems foolish. Sour, but not acidic, and malty, but not roasty--the end result is something port-like in quality. Something rich, palate pleasing, and robust.

Finally I understand the constant references to "wine drinkers" enjoying this. I thought that was mostly non-sense, but I have to admit this is spot on. Low carbonation, creamy and moderately thick body coats the palate and a tangy tartness lingers on the palate, not unlike a good dark wine, but better than that obviously.

I found this beer to be a revelation that pushes boundaries. Excellent as of the release date and every bit deserving of the name of the already legendary series it belongs to: Veritas.

4.01/5  rDev +6.1%

Shared with my brother. Out of a Brooklyn Brewery tulip. Reviewed from my notes.

A- Pitch black, no head, no lacing. Looks flat.

S- It has vinous notes, hints of vinegar. I also get chocolate, grape skins, and oak. I get a lot of Older Viscosity in this beer. It's surprisingly tart and funky for no additional sour yeasts.

T- Sour cherry tartness at first, smoothes to tastes of sherry/port, bouron. Again vinous notes, and tastes of sour grape skins. Quite mouth puckering at first, with more bourbon on the back end. Very remenicent of Older Viscosity at times, with the additional tart fruit.

M- No carbonation, which is not ideal. It doesn't need much, but this is flat. It is very complex, and very tart. The body is really nice too, but it needs some light bubbles.

O- Not bad, but the flatness did have a negative impact on the drinkability. The beer is very tart and has a very interesting flavor profile. There was a lot going on here, and at times it was a little too overwhelming.

-GFunk

2.21/5  rDev -41.5%

Thanks to shadesofgray for sharing this highly touted rarity! Poured into a tasting glass...

Completely flat. Granted, the color is nice, coming in at a deeply opaque brown, bordering on black. There are some lighter brown notes around the edges. A swirl kicks up some oily looking liquid onto the sides of the glass, but not much lacing to show for it, nor does it elicit any foam to come forth from the beer.

The aroma is complex, with toffee, chocolate, some oaky vanilla, brandied cherries, and some sweet sherry notes. The funk is subdued, and a sourness is present, but I find it significantly less lactic and more pedio-based. There is a touch of buttery aroma in there, too, leading me to believe that there is a touch of diacetyl. The flavor is similar, with the diacetyl a bit more evident. Luckily, the complexity of the flavors takes some of the focus off the flaw. The toffee, chocolate, and brandied cherries come through again, here, and they are complemented by raisins and dates in a deep dark fruity medley. Red vinous notes reminiscent of Cabernet grapes also come through. Again, there seems to be very little lactic character to the sourness, as the pedio again is the main contributor. All of the flavors kind of muddle together. Unimpressed...just too many flaws here.

Despite the uninspiring carbonation in the appearance, there is a slight tingle. Looking at it now that I have tasted it, the thicker texture and sweeter notes of this beer really do lend themselves to a lower carbonation level. Overall, I don't think this is very good at all. The flavors really don't blend very nicely. While the sherry and red wine notes work well with the bourbon barrels, a barrel-aged turd is still a turd.

2.01/5  rDev -46.8%

Thanks to Jason for sharing this one, too, on an epic afternoon of drinking.

Cork and cage bottle, poured into a Hill Farmstead tasting glass.

Appearance: flat, black and slightly syrupy. Looks like old fryer oil. Cork came out with no resistance, but that came as little surprise.

Smell: smells like the overripe tart cherries that would fall off the tree in my backyard growing up. Not entirely unpleasant, but not great either.

Taste: weirdly tart, semi-sweet... is that licorice? soy sauce? just an all around mess of flavors.

Mouthfeel: couldn't wait for it to not be in my mouth anymore. The tartness, oily texture and flatness made it pretty unpleasant to drink.

Overall: seems like a pretty miserable, failed experiment. A for effort, but I will not be seeking this out again.

4.56/5  rDev +20.6%

On-tap at Lost Abbey served in a taster glass ($3).

A: Pours dark brown with minimal khaki brown head. Retention is moderate and lacing is minimal.

S: Tons of brown sugar and toasted malt, some bourbon and oak, with just a touch of sour cherry.

T: Extremely complex and well layered. Individual flavors really stand out at different points in the tasting. Up front is strong red wine flavor, oak and some cherry. It's clearly sour, but not overbearingly sour. Towards the middle more malty sweetness comes balanced out with less wine and more sour flavors. The finish has a touch of chocolate and a wisp of bourbon. I didn't get the bourbon until the very very end, almost like breathing out the whiskey.

M: Carbonation is low with a slick, oily mouthfeel. Very smooth and easy to drink.

O: Complex. Sweet, sour, red wine, bourbon, and oak all mixed together in a way that all flavors really stand out. Definitely a winner for me. Possibly the best sour I've had to this point.

3.51/5  rDev -7.1%

Bottle generously shared at Capone's yesterday buy a gentlemen of whom I did not catch his name. Anyway, thanks for the pour!

A: Deep dark brown body with absolutely no head, no active looking carbonation. Still as night. I was prefaced with the expectation that the body is fairly flat, so all things considered this is what I'd expect it to look like. Boring nonetheless.

S: Tart dark fruits, red grapes, plums and raisins. The back end has a nice smooth and acidic note along with hints of roasted chocolate malts and some toffee. Very interesting but I've smelled this profile before in others made in a similar fashion.

T: Chocolate and caramel roasted malts are up front, bitter dark bakers chocolate, sweet nuts, tart black cherry and plum. On the end is some residual vinegar-like elements, very divergent from any actual flavor itself. Tannins are left in the finish and linger.

M: Almost completely flat. There is the slightest touch of carbonation but it doesn't really go far, perhaps just on the back of the tongue. For me though it didn't really affect it too much from the sample I had. It is unfortunate it's flat however.

This was pretty good, it had a lot of good elements to it and seemed to execute them quite well. The lack of carbonation (a chronic problem for The Lost Abbey?) hurt the feel and appearance, and indirectly the nose for the lack of head. My first of the Veritas series and this was pretty decent. Nothing mind blowing or life changing, but good.

Veritas 009 from The Lost Abbey