Veritas 009 - The Lost Abbey

The Lost Abbey visit their website

American Wild Ale |  8.00% ABV

Beer added by: HopHead84 on 05-28-2011

3.54/5  rDev -6.8%

Thanks to Tieman for sharing this one at his tasting.

Pours an opaque dark brown with no head and no lacing on the drink down. Smell is sour and tart with some dark malt, dark fruit, and alcohol aromas. Taste is much the same with a really tart and acidic finish. This beer has a low level of carbonation with an almost flat mouthfeel. Overall, this is a pretty good beer but it definitely smells better than it tastes. (421 characters)

4.6/5  rDev +21.1%

Bottle consumed as a precursor to the barrel-aged barleywine tasting at a preview of Terry's beers at the Farmers Cabinet facility in Alexandria.

Disclaimer: this beer was initially flat, and I subsequently force-carbed it to a low level. Given the interaction of things in the mouthfeel, I don't think the carbonation was really necessary or added much.

Pours a murky dark brown color with a garnet hue. No real head other than a few tan bubbles that popped up and fell almost instantaneously.

The nose starts things off right with notes of chocolate and a bit of dark malt. Atop that were strong notes of cherry, red wine, and oak. Pretty good acidity with a very mild acetic character. The flavor was intense, to say the least. Really delicious with the dark malt and fruits combining with bright cherries and brisk acidity. Red wine and oak really round things out. Some acetic character as it warms up.

Mouthfeel is really fantastic. Not something I would have imagined myself for a sour, but it worked quite well. Strong acidity with a thick, chewy base that neared stout levels. Dry and tannic. Long finish. Very low carbonation.

Incredibly complex and well made. Not sure if the low carbonation was intentional, but I think it worked quite well. (1,260 characters)

2.85/5  rDev -25%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Bottle: Poured a deep black color ale with a small almost non-existent head with zero retention. The beer is indeed flat which I find hard to know if it is by design or just another bottling issue with the brewery. Aroma of bourbon with some vanilla notes is offset by tart and kriek notes which make for a weird mix at the end of the day. Taste is a very weird mix between bourbon/vanilla notes with light roasted malt offset by tart, oak and sour cherries notes. Body is about average with zero carbonation and no apparent alcohol. I can’t say I really enjoyed this one. (574 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +10.5%

Thanks to Andrew for opening one and AP for sending one my way.

Appearance: Still dark brown. No carbonation whatsoever. Fairly viscous, leggy body.

Aroma: Cocoa and cherries. Subdued sourness, bourbon and red wine, balsamic vinegar, molasses. A nice mix of sweet and sour.

Palate: More tartness than I was expecting, it opens with a nice lactic twang, with tart sour cherries not far behind. Medium-full body, flavors of chocolate, molasses and bourbon work surprisingly well with the sourness. Alcohol is well hidden. The mix of cherries, lactic sourness and dark malt is pretty enjoyable. This bottle had no carbonation to speak of, but I didn't feel it was to the beer's detriment. (688 characters)

4.97/5  rDev +30.8%

its my bday so i bring out the big guns opened this one on friday night to obliterate myself. this was quite simply one of the best beers i have ever drank. a sublime mix of everything i love about beer all rolled into one.

pours a lovely dark brown, nearly black with a fluffy tan head that caps the top of the glass nicely coating the sides and really making it look the part.

aroma is nuts, hard to even explain as you have to simply be there. dark chocolate and oak, mingled with deep grape, raspberry and dark fruit notes, sour with changing flavors twirling around. its hard to get a grip on this beer!

the combination of a dark roasted chocolate/malt driven base with sour fruit is one that really needs to be expierenced to completely get it. i simply cannot make the words do this justice. finishes off with the subtlest of dryness and lovely sour flavors and all is well in the world.

stunning, now by far my favorite beer from lost abbey, no question. (966 characters)

3.86/5  rDev +1.6%

Thanks to Bobby for helping me out since I couldn't go to the release. Shared at the BA BA tasting.

A: Not a sound as the cork comes out. Pours pitch black and completely flat. This gets a 2.0 because it's a pretty big fuck you to not carbonate a $35 bottle.

S: Smells pretty decent, though. Rich bourbon and vanilla aromas with plenty of oak. Lots of cherries to and a bit of red wine. There is a slight metallic note on the back end.

T: Really an intense cherry and bourbon flavor to this. Nice vanilla and chocolate notes along with the oak and barrel. A surprising amount of red wine and fruits, just a little bit of roast.

M: Medium in body, but completely flat. Bah.

O: This was pretty solid, but very unfortunate that it was totally flat. (750 characters)

3.67/5  rDev -3.4%

I brought my bottle along to Imminent Liquidation. I made sure to save a generous pour so I could take notes.

Appearance: Pours an opaque dark brown with no head showing up at all. This looks like it will be an interesting one.

Smell: Sweet and syrupy with a very slight fruit tartness that it took me a while to find. Started out smelling like a stout/strong ale blend.

Taste: There is a sour component to this beer that I wasn't sure of until now. I'm picking up some cherry and chocolate notes. This beer is extremely sweet, but it seems to work.

Mouthfeel: Thick body with hardly any carbonation and a dry finish.

Overall: I really enjoyed this even with the faults. I could have used a little carbonation. The flavors all worked for me so I would call it a success. (775 characters)

4.44/5  rDev +16.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Big thanks to Sean for sharing this on a random Sunday night. Served in a Jester King snifter.

A - Pours still. Dark brown-red body that is a little lighter and slightly translucent at the fringes. Not much to look at, as even the color isn't too attractive.

S - Charred oak, cherries, smoke, light toasted coconut, and faint bourbon. As it warms up there is more dark chocolate and increasingly vinous oak , as well as some light alcohol.

T - Taste is far more on the cherry and red wine side of things, with significant cherry tartness and acidity, as well as red wine elements - dark fruits, tart appleskins, and berries. Far less bourbon character than the nose.

M - Tannic, full-bodied, with some definite alcohol warmth, although nowhere near the rumored 12%. Obviously there is no appreciable carbonation. In any case, it's largely appropriate for the flavor profile.

D - Like a fine red wine. Seriously this is the most Cabernet-like beer I've ever encountered. A far more successful experiment than Veritas 008, and that's the point of this series right? In any case, looking forward to having this one again down the road.

I opened a bottle of this a few weeks later and it was actually carbonated - thin white foam that left spotty lace and settled to a thin ring of bubbles. Still not a good-looking beer, but worthy of a small score bump. (1,357 characters)

3.81/5  rDev +0.3%

From 11/05/11 notes. Big thanks to craytonic for sharing this one; thanks Matt! Poured into my Cigar City snifter.

a - Pours a deep dark reddish-brown color with a dark purple tint, about two bubbles of head and almost no carbonation evident. Looks flat, as expected.

s - Smells of bourbon, oak, chocolate malts, vanilla, dark fruity malts, alcohol, red wine, light cherries. Bourbon and oak are very strong, as are dark fruits. Nice and I enjoy the nose, but not really sour at all.

t - Tastes of bourbon, oak, sweet dark fruity malts, red wine, and sour cherries. Light chocolate and roasted malts, but not as much as the nose. Some sourness and tart cherries here in the taste, but not what I traditionally think of in a sour as it is both sweet and sour at the same time, and still hevay on the bourbon. A little odd, but nice.

m - Medium body and no carbonation whatsoever. Docking it a little bit as I think it would have been better with some low carbonation. Still a smooth mouthfeel and it isn't bad, but I think some would have helped.

o - Overall a very interesting beer. The taste is both sweet and sour which is cool/interesting, thoough I'm not sure how much of this I would want to drink. I've now had five of the nine Veritas series beers and this one ranks 4/5; not saying this is bad, but shows the quality of the others. In any event, this is not nearly as sour, or enjoyable in my opinion, as 006, 004, or 007. My order goes:

1. 006
2. 004
3. 007
4. 009
5. 008 (1,486 characters)

3.87/5  rDev +1.8%

At the time of this review, this is the #9 top American Wild Ale on the beeradvocate best of lists. Bottle shared by Thorpe429 generously the other night, he had tried to force carb it.

Beer is dark black, really no head, low carbonation, no lacing, meh.

The aroma is an interesting mixture of an almost molasses, acetic, lactic, citric, oakiness with hints of tannic. In reality, the aroma was way sweeter than I was expecting.

Beer is interesting and I enjoyed it ultimately but it is not like the other Vertias in the series. This beer was bigger in body, sweeter on the palate and finished much much sweeter than the other sours in the "series." I should look up the blend to figure out where this toffee like sweetness is coming from. It is a good beer but overall it should be carbonated and it should be sweeter. I would hope that time would improve this beer but since it is uncarbonated right now who knows if there are any living organisms in the bottles to finish off the fermentation and provide a finished product. (1,030 characters)

4.52/5  rDev +18.9%

Bottle generously shared by kbutler1. Thanks a ton!

Bottle opens with the slightest pop.

Pours fairly flat. No head at all. Color is an extremely dark ruby red, nearing a dark purple around the edges. Looks like wine. A swirl leaves some legs.

Aroma: Smells like a mead or a wine. Tons of cherries. Bourbon notes and wine notes. Oaky with tons of barrel characteristics. Reminds me kind of like an old ale. Then I get more tart cherries. Lots of cherries. Grapes as it warms.

Taste: Woah. This beer is complex. Starts out with a tobacco flavor then I get some bourbon and oak flavors. It has vinegar flavors and then a ton of tart cherries. A lot of wine flavors as well. Chocolate. Towards the end I get some caramel sweetness.

Mouthfeel: Tart and dry. Medium to full bodied with a low, very low, amount of carbonation. Ends with some tobacco flavors.

Overall, I don't care about the low amount of carbonation. It works for this beer. I guess I would rather have something like this under than over carbonated. There are few beers that are as complex as this one. It has so much going on for it. Reminded me so much of a wine. Very enjoyable. (1,150 characters)

3.51/5  rDev -7.6%

Bottle generously shared at Capone's yesterday buy a gentlemen of whom I did not catch his name. Anyway, thanks for the pour!

A: Deep dark brown body with absolutely no head, no active looking carbonation. Still as night. I was prefaced with the expectation that the body is fairly flat, so all things considered this is what I'd expect it to look like. Boring nonetheless.

S: Tart dark fruits, red grapes, plums and raisins. The back end has a nice smooth and acidic note along with hints of roasted chocolate malts and some toffee. Very interesting but I've smelled this profile before in others made in a similar fashion.

T: Chocolate and caramel roasted malts are up front, bitter dark bakers chocolate, sweet nuts, tart black cherry and plum. On the end is some residual vinegar-like elements, very divergent from any actual flavor itself. Tannins are left in the finish and linger.

M: Almost completely flat. There is the slightest touch of carbonation but it doesn't really go far, perhaps just on the back of the tongue. For me though it didn't really affect it too much from the sample I had. It is unfortunate it's flat however.

This was pretty good, it had a lot of good elements to it and seemed to execute them quite well. The lack of carbonation (a chronic problem for The Lost Abbey?) hurt the feel and appearance, and indirectly the nose for the lack of head. My first of the Veritas series and this was pretty decent. Nothing mind blowing or life changing, but good. (1,488 characters)

3.92/5  rDev +3.2%

Consumed with all ten Veritas beers on April 14, 2012. Shared by mdfb79. Thanks Dan.

I didn't enjoy this as much the second time around. Soy sauce and booze flavors emerge too intensely for my liking. This beer is quite complex, but the various flavor characteristics lack cohesion.

***

Original review: November 5, 2011

Bottle shared by craytonic. Thanks Matt!

The beer appears still and flat, though I guess that's intentional in this case. The color is a deep, dark shade of mahogany.

The aroma is my favorite aspect of the beer. Port, bourbon, brandy, oak, wine, cherry chocolates. Smells expensive.

The flavor is cherries dipped in dark chocolate. Lots of booze. Brandy, bourbon - reminiscent of Angel's Share. Sweet port and/or red wine flavors and a tannic quality throughout. Wonderfully complex, with a potent dose of dark fruits and a present sourness / tartness as well.

The feel is medium bodied on the palate. This is a beer to be sipped and savored, enjoyed over the course of a few hours. Devoid of carbonation.

Overall, another interesting beer from The Lost Abbey. Not my favorite of the Veritas beers I've had so far, but I am definitely enjoying this. Intriguing and complex with a bold flavor. Recommended. (1,236 characters)

3.66/5  rDev -3.7%

750 mL bottle shared by Mike at a visit to Farmer's Cabinet Alexandria. We later experimented with force carbonating the beer, but I didn't feel like that was necessary or added anything to my (lack of) enjoyment of this.

Pours a turbid, deep reddish brown, near black. Some light tan bubbles form initially but obviously no head given the lack of carbonation. Some reddish legs coat the glass.

Aroma is an intense acidic and vinous blend of plums, grapes, chocolate, oak, red wine, bourbon and after someone rudely suggested Triple Block I began to imagine soy. While I enjoyed this blend and contrast of bold flavors in the aroma, I though the taste was a sloppy mess. Overly acidic, vinous and boozy, the sweet fruit flavors never quite integrate with blend of barrels.

Despite lack of carbonation, the body works well, with a chewy, medium thick base and a long tannic finish. I guess I'm interested in how this ages, but I wouldn't be surprised if this became really awesome or really terrible. (1,004 characters)

4.62/5  rDev +21.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Thanks! This spent a year in bourbon barrels and then another year in wine barrels with sour cherries. Supposedly it's been bottle conditioning for a year and a half. I guess it's 3.5 years old at this point. An interesting fact about the beer: The beer was not inoculated with bacteria and no Brett was used. All the wild notes come from the bacteria on the cherry skins.

A: Bottle opens with a big pop. Deep brown in the snifter with a crimson tinge near the edges when held to light. Small light brown head quickly fades. Nice color.

S: Strong cherry aroma with a substantial lactic presence. Light Brett character, but it's subdued compared to the lactic notes. Cherries are tart and pronounced with notes of chocolate and oak. The wine barrels left a strong mark on this, and those characteristics blend well with bourbon notes. Alcohol is deftly masked. This is complex yet nuanced.

T: Quite tart up front with powerful lactic sour and cherry notes. Nice chocolate profile. Quite vinous, with lesser notes of bourbon and oak. The cherries are strong throughout. Alcohol is incredibly subtle for a beer that's around 12% ABV. Lightly tannic and dry in the sour cherry chocolate finish. Light acetic acidity.

M: Upper medium in body with lower carbonation. Mouthfeel is sticky, smooth, and tannic, with notable warming.

Overall: A fantastic strong dark sour. Highly recommended. (1,389 characters)

3.29/5  rDev -13.4%

Absolutely no POP at all on the cork.. really? I am done giving Lost Abbey a pass on carbonation issues... fucking ridiculous.. yeasty hazed porter looking brew..

Nose is good cherry and grape fruitiness.... a bit acetic... with some dark chocolate

Flavor shows a good sweet/sour mix of dark chocolate and sweet vinegar soaked cherries... burning acetic mess down the gullet...

Pretty thick given the NO CARBONATION..

Not terrible, but pretty okay when cold... with warmth, this is a vinegar bomb.

2.5/3.5/3.5/3/3 (520 characters)

1.68/5  rDev -55.8%

This one pours a dirty mop water brown with a slight beige lacing. It smells of sweet and sour port. Damn its sweet with sour notes. The flavor too is ever so slight wine barrel aging with a weird and awkward type sour. No complexity at all. It's really off putting. This barrel aging was awful. It really isn't even drinkable, and I love sours. This beer is weak and severely overrated. This was the second time I was fortunate enough to try this limited, $30 bottle. It was awful both times. Homer much? (505 characters)

2.5/5  rDev -34.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A light purplish liquid, no head on it whatsoever. Aroma of wood, plum-raisin-fig type of dark fruit thing going on.

Tasted very flat, lacked sourness, some tartness, but really tasted like 10 commandments or something completely unsoured. Tastes like they took red wine and brandy and created a blend, very unbeerlike of you dude. Boozyness seemed to much to bear as well. No lactic sour notes. Toffee, cabernet and fig.

Really didn't find anything to say I enjoyed about this. No wait, the bottle, its a cool design! This was my least favorite bottle brought to Reno's Summer Sour Bottle Share 2011. Totally awesome that jordan brought it, but dang, just didn't work for me. (679 characters)

2.83/5  rDev -25.5%

Huge thanks to jale for bringing this to the Jackie O's bottle release last weekend (thanks Jim!). From a quick poll of those around us it's evident that this is a polarizing beverage. Some loved it, some hated it (I'm in this camp), no one felt half ass about it though.

This poured darker than the other Veritas series that I've had, brownish and flat. The aroma is pretty involved, I guess complex, but to no good effect as far as I'm concerned. Cocoa + woodiness + cherry + a little vanilla. Only hints of acidity. Actually not appetizing, more of a mess to me, the sum being less than the addition of the components.

Not very sour tasting, I guess I was hoping for a sour masterpiece like 004 but this was not to be. Complex for sure, but in an unappreciated way. I'll give it this: It's way better than 008. But I wouldn't want to have it again. (853 characters)

4.7/5  rDev +23.7%

cork popped with a weak puff, super dark black body with no carbonation at all... the aroma is outstanding and beyond complex, warm bourbon, red wine, tons of super sweet chocolate (almost a bit too much is my slightest complaint), a bit of vanilla finish... the taste is shocking because the cabarnet totally takes over and makes this basically taste like a wine, oak, red wine, tart like a wine, tannic, the chocolate notes add some awesome meat to the bones on this... almost perfect tasting, keeps you guessing, never complacent, get this now, unreal (554 characters)

4.58/5  rDev +20.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Wasn't this beer closer to 10-12% ABV? In any case, thanks, CJ!

Black with dark brown highlights, this beer has no head whatsoever. The nose is excellent. If the Cable Car Kriek showed off red cherries, this is a wonderful showcase for black cherries. Flesh and skin tannins are present, along with dark chocolate, mildly soy-like. Earthy, leathery, tannic, there's some bourbon and vanilla to round out the nose. Compelling, complex and surprisingly well integrated IMO.

The palate opens with a blend of black cherry, cocoa, soy, vanilla, bourbon and cherry sourness. The combination of the sour cherry and bourbon is pretty excellent. Full in body, lightly carbonated (if that), this feels really nice on the palate (I appreciate the low carbonation, almost any would just not work with this beer IMO). The finish has a mild sourness with a blend of cherries, bourbon, oak and vanilla. Excellent stuff, I look forward to revisiting this in the future.

**edit 12/31/2013**
Thanks, Carlos! It popped! I guess a few years finally allowed it to carbonate some.

Sour black cherry goodness, with earth, mushrooms, bourbon, plenty of barrel character, vanilla and some soy. In fact, the only thing that's changed is that the sourness has increased along with the carbonation. The bourbon and soy seem better integrated too.

The palate opens quite sour with a blend of lactic and red wine sourness with plenty of black, sour cherries, vinous and quite majestic. Vanilla, bourbon, red wine, some booze, a lactic, meaty funk, this has taken on some oerbier reservation characteristics. Sour and lactic with a touch of balsamic vinegar, there's an earthy, meaty character here. An excellent beverage to welcome the new year with IMO. 4/4.5/4.25/4.5/4.5 (1,751 characters)

3.38/5  rDev -11.1%

Big thanks goes out to funkydelic for sharing this one with me! Served from bottle into a Mikkeller taster flute. Poured a massively dark brown with a minimal khaki colored head. Maintained minimal lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, sour, fruit, and subtle wood. The flavor was of sweet malt, sour, tart cherry, wood, and subtle port. It had a medium feel on the palate with high carbonation. Overall this brew was decent. When I saw this one was being released I was quite excited to get to try it. I got to sample it while at a Foothills release thanks to thunderroad12, but not enough to review it. I wasn't overly impressed with it then. And the same was true this time around. It was decent, but it seemed like a lot of the flavors clashed together on this one, but were not invasive or untasty on the palate. It just made it a little harder to drink. Worth trying to say that you have, but there are better Veritas brews out there. (970 characters)

4.43/5  rDev +16.6%

Another majorly hyped California beer that jumped up the charts. Never saw that coming. Ah dammit. This beer is #$&%ing amazing. Thanks to Sean for breaking this out.

A - Pours flat, black, lifeless. Nothing else.

S - I had no idea what to initially make of this, I was expecting more of a stout. Bourbon, brandy, wine, vanilla, chocolate, oak, berries, fruit. So much going on, amazing what you can pick out of this one.

T - Big wine and chocolate tartness, which is a very different and great combination. There is traces of barrel, bourbon, brandy, little coffee, some sweet berries. I've never had anything quite like this, more comparable to rich bottles of wine than anything else.

M - Full, smooth, the low carbonation (non-existent) actually works.

O - This beer is an experience. One of the most unique brews I've had, and one that works amazingly. Props to Mr. Arthur for being innovative and putting something out like nothing we've had before. (960 characters)

2.55/5  rDev -32.9%

Consumed on 7/28 as a break from the BA DarkLords during the NYC Voltron tasting!!! thanks to blatantdream for providing this gem?
no bottle number written on the label.

a - dark purple with no head. no carbonation.

s - some funk. purpleness...grape...funk...sour...medicine...vinegar.

t - vingar. pungent. kind of intense but not necessarily in a good way.

m - vinegary.

o - not for me...glad i tried it, but super pungent. tart to the max. i suppose i can get how some people dig it, but this one really didn't do it for me. the bud that was opened after this was kind of a breath of fresh air. (601 characters)

4.08/5  rDev +7.4%

582nd Review on BA
Bottle to Angels Sinners Glass
750ML C/C

Split with GuruDel

App- Welp, I thought I would actually be the one to type it had bubbles. It didn't. It was like a darker cranberry juice. The bottle had a nice pop though when I opened it. So that was good.

Smell- On the nose it's very red wine to me. It's a bit sour and deep. Has a lot of grape, cherry, sweet, savory. Very complex aromatics.

Taste- I said it after a 3oz taster, Ill say it again. It's like Unicorn tears. I dont know what Unicorn tears taste like but I think its this. Its awkward, its balanced, its sour, its strong. Its a bit confusing to me to discribe. Its a bit Framboise, Ad-lib, older all rolled into one.

Mouth- A bit thin but medium bodied. No carbonation but leaves some nice soured fruits

Drink- Its's hard to describe this one. Big, sour, strong. I loved it on the taste but the nose and appearance bring it down for me. Ill try to have it again. (947 characters)

Veritas 009 from The Lost Abbey