Veritas 009 - The Lost Abbey

Beer added by: HopHead84 on 05-28-2011

3.5/5  rDev -7.2%

4.25/5  rDev +12.7%

1.68/5  rDev -55.4%

This one pours a dirty mop water brown with a slight beige lacing. It smells of sweet and sour port. Damn its sweet with sour notes. The flavor too is ever so slight wine barrel aging with a weird and awkward type sour. No complexity at all. It's really off putting. This barrel aging was awful. It really isn't even drinkable, and I love sours. This beer is weak and severely overrated. This was the second time I was fortunate enough to try this limited, $30 bottle. It was awful both times. Homer much?

2.4/5  rDev -36.3%

Thanks to Ehammond1 for sharing this one and I finally got around to review it from my notes

Look: Pours an almost black color with no head at all and not much else going on

Smell: Some dark fruits plums soaked in alcohol comes to mind mixed in with a slight acidity and vinegar character

Taste: Very similar to the nose this one is very acidic and vinegary and very off putting. This was my least favorite beer of the night

Mouthfeel: Full body and zero carbonation almost like drinking flat pepsi

Overall: This was my least favorite beer of the night. The people I drank it with seemed to think there was something wrong but the only thing I could find wrong with it was bad taste.

3.81/5  rDev +1.1%

From 11/05/11 notes. Big thanks to craytonic for sharing this one; thanks Matt! Poured into my Cigar City snifter.

a - Pours a deep dark reddish-brown color with a dark purple tint, about two bubbles of head and almost no carbonation evident. Looks flat, as expected.

s - Smells of bourbon, oak, chocolate malts, vanilla, dark fruity malts, alcohol, red wine, light cherries. Bourbon and oak are very strong, as are dark fruits. Nice and I enjoy the nose, but not really sour at all.

t - Tastes of bourbon, oak, sweet dark fruity malts, red wine, and sour cherries. Light chocolate and roasted malts, but not as much as the nose. Some sourness and tart cherries here in the taste, but not what I traditionally think of in a sour as it is both sweet and sour at the same time, and still hevay on the bourbon. A little odd, but nice.

m - Medium body and no carbonation whatsoever. Docking it a little bit as I think it would have been better with some low carbonation. Still a smooth mouthfeel and it isn't bad, but I think some would have helped.

o - Overall a very interesting beer. The taste is both sweet and sour which is cool/interesting, thoough I'm not sure how much of this I would want to drink. I've now had five of the nine Veritas series beers and this one ranks 4/5; not saying this is bad, but shows the quality of the others. In any event, this is not nearly as sour, or enjoyable in my opinion, as 006, 004, or 007. My order goes:

1. 006
2. 004
3. 007
4. 009
5. 008

4.3/5  rDev +14.1%

Appearance: Pours a dark brown, almost black with no head. looks like no carbonation

Aroma: Vanilla, chocolate, port wine, cherry fruit

Taste: wine notes, tart berry, chocolate, wood, wow really different.

Mouthfeel: Full bodied, little carbonation.

Overall: I guess I'm in the camp that loved this beer. I thought it was amazingly complex, sour with some chocolate. I was skeptical about everyone saying the lack of carbonation didn't hurt this beer and I kinda have to agree. It works rather well. A little more carb. would of put it over the top..extremely tasty.

3.51/5  rDev -6.9%

Bottle generously shared at Capone's yesterday buy a gentlemen of whom I did not catch his name. Anyway, thanks for the pour!

A: Deep dark brown body with absolutely no head, no active looking carbonation. Still as night. I was prefaced with the expectation that the body is fairly flat, so all things considered this is what I'd expect it to look like. Boring nonetheless.

S: Tart dark fruits, red grapes, plums and raisins. The back end has a nice smooth and acidic note along with hints of roasted chocolate malts and some toffee. Very interesting but I've smelled this profile before in others made in a similar fashion.

T: Chocolate and caramel roasted malts are up front, bitter dark bakers chocolate, sweet nuts, tart black cherry and plum. On the end is some residual vinegar-like elements, very divergent from any actual flavor itself. Tannins are left in the finish and linger.

M: Almost completely flat. There is the slightest touch of carbonation but it doesn't really go far, perhaps just on the back of the tongue. For me though it didn't really affect it too much from the sample I had. It is unfortunate it's flat however.

This was pretty good, it had a lot of good elements to it and seemed to execute them quite well. The lack of carbonation (a chronic problem for The Lost Abbey?) hurt the feel and appearance, and indirectly the nose for the lack of head. My first of the Veritas series and this was pretty decent. Nothing mind blowing or life changing, but good.

4.2/5  rDev +11.4%

Thanks to Andrew for opening one and AP for sending one my way.

Appearance: Still dark brown. No carbonation whatsoever. Fairly viscous, leggy body.

Aroma: Cocoa and cherries. Subdued sourness, bourbon and red wine, balsamic vinegar, molasses. A nice mix of sweet and sour.

Palate: More tartness than I was expecting, it opens with a nice lactic twang, with tart sour cherries not far behind. Medium-full body, flavors of chocolate, molasses and bourbon work surprisingly well with the sourness. Alcohol is well hidden. The mix of cherries, lactic sourness and dark malt is pretty enjoyable. This bottle had no carbonation to speak of, but I didn't feel it was to the beer's detriment.

Veritas 009 from The Lost Abbey