Veritas 009 - The Lost Abbey

The Lost Abbey visit their website

American Wild Ale |  8.00% ABV

Beer added by: HopHead84 on 05-28-2011

1.68/5  rDev -55.8%

This one pours a dirty mop water brown with a slight beige lacing. It smells of sweet and sour port. Damn its sweet with sour notes. The flavor too is ever so slight wine barrel aging with a weird and awkward type sour. No complexity at all. It's really off putting. This barrel aging was awful. It really isn't even drinkable, and I love sours. This beer is weak and severely overrated. This was the second time I was fortunate enough to try this limited, $30 bottle. It was awful both times. Homer much? (505 characters)

2.4/5  rDev -36.8%

Thanks to Ehammond1 for sharing this one and I finally got around to review it from my notes

Look: Pours an almost black color with no head at all and not much else going on

Smell: Some dark fruits plums soaked in alcohol comes to mind mixed in with a slight acidity and vinegar character

Taste: Very similar to the nose this one is very acidic and vinegary and very off putting. This was my least favorite beer of the night

Mouthfeel: Full body and zero carbonation almost like drinking flat pepsi

Overall: This was my least favorite beer of the night. The people I drank it with seemed to think there was something wrong but the only thing I could find wrong with it was bad taste. (688 characters)

3.81/5  rDev +0.3%

From 11/05/11 notes. Big thanks to craytonic for sharing this one; thanks Matt! Poured into my Cigar City snifter.

a - Pours a deep dark reddish-brown color with a dark purple tint, about two bubbles of head and almost no carbonation evident. Looks flat, as expected.

s - Smells of bourbon, oak, chocolate malts, vanilla, dark fruity malts, alcohol, red wine, light cherries. Bourbon and oak are very strong, as are dark fruits. Nice and I enjoy the nose, but not really sour at all.

t - Tastes of bourbon, oak, sweet dark fruity malts, red wine, and sour cherries. Light chocolate and roasted malts, but not as much as the nose. Some sourness and tart cherries here in the taste, but not what I traditionally think of in a sour as it is both sweet and sour at the same time, and still hevay on the bourbon. A little odd, but nice.

m - Medium body and no carbonation whatsoever. Docking it a little bit as I think it would have been better with some low carbonation. Still a smooth mouthfeel and it isn't bad, but I think some would have helped.

o - Overall a very interesting beer. The taste is both sweet and sour which is cool/interesting, thoough I'm not sure how much of this I would want to drink. I've now had five of the nine Veritas series beers and this one ranks 4/5; not saying this is bad, but shows the quality of the others. In any event, this is not nearly as sour, or enjoyable in my opinion, as 006, 004, or 007. My order goes:

1. 006
2. 004
3. 007
4. 009
5. 008 (1,486 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +13.2%

Appearance: Pours a dark brown, almost black with no head. looks like no carbonation

Aroma: Vanilla, chocolate, port wine, cherry fruit

Taste: wine notes, tart berry, chocolate, wood, wow really different.

Mouthfeel: Full bodied, little carbonation.

Overall: I guess I'm in the camp that loved this beer. I thought it was amazingly complex, sour with some chocolate. I was skeptical about everyone saying the lack of carbonation didn't hurt this beer and I kinda have to agree. It works rather well. A little more carb. would of put it over the top..extremely tasty. (571 characters)

3.51/5  rDev -7.6%

Bottle generously shared at Capone's yesterday buy a gentlemen of whom I did not catch his name. Anyway, thanks for the pour!

A: Deep dark brown body with absolutely no head, no active looking carbonation. Still as night. I was prefaced with the expectation that the body is fairly flat, so all things considered this is what I'd expect it to look like. Boring nonetheless.

S: Tart dark fruits, red grapes, plums and raisins. The back end has a nice smooth and acidic note along with hints of roasted chocolate malts and some toffee. Very interesting but I've smelled this profile before in others made in a similar fashion.

T: Chocolate and caramel roasted malts are up front, bitter dark bakers chocolate, sweet nuts, tart black cherry and plum. On the end is some residual vinegar-like elements, very divergent from any actual flavor itself. Tannins are left in the finish and linger.

M: Almost completely flat. There is the slightest touch of carbonation but it doesn't really go far, perhaps just on the back of the tongue. For me though it didn't really affect it too much from the sample I had. It is unfortunate it's flat however.

This was pretty good, it had a lot of good elements to it and seemed to execute them quite well. The lack of carbonation (a chronic problem for The Lost Abbey?) hurt the feel and appearance, and indirectly the nose for the lack of head. My first of the Veritas series and this was pretty decent. Nothing mind blowing or life changing, but good. (1,488 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +10.5%

Thanks to Andrew for opening one and AP for sending one my way.

Appearance: Still dark brown. No carbonation whatsoever. Fairly viscous, leggy body.

Aroma: Cocoa and cherries. Subdued sourness, bourbon and red wine, balsamic vinegar, molasses. A nice mix of sweet and sour.

Palate: More tartness than I was expecting, it opens with a nice lactic twang, with tart sour cherries not far behind. Medium-full body, flavors of chocolate, molasses and bourbon work surprisingly well with the sourness. Alcohol is well hidden. The mix of cherries, lactic sourness and dark malt is pretty enjoyable. This bottle had no carbonation to speak of, but I didn't feel it was to the beer's detriment. (688 characters)

2.16/5  rDev -43.2%

no pop on the cork, pours a still black. fairly lifeless. no carbonation.

light vanilla and bourbon with a slight tart cherry very reminiscent of red poppy.

light tart cherry with a subtle mix of grape and cheap red wine. the bourbon and vanilla blended well however they never helped this out. i found this very 2 sided and completely lacking any complexity. it was 2 parts, cherry and bourbon. nothing special here.

dead flat with a hint of dryness.

this was boring, everyone i spoke with after i opened this agreed that it was more or less terrible. (556 characters)

1.28/5  rDev -66.3%

A- Pours pitch black and flat. Not much going on here.
S- A lot of sour cherry, a bit of vanilla and coconut.
T- Complete and utter shit. Sour cherry dominates the palate and it is just beyond awful. You get some of the barrels as well, but christ this is an awfully disappointing beer.
M- Meh, the mouthfeel is probably the best part of this beer.

Overall: This was a drain pour for me. I took about three sips before deciding to dump it. This beer is beyond terrible and never should have been released. If this was a homebrewer's beer I could be a bit more forgiving, but I expect better from The Lost Abbey and Tomme. They're better than this. (649 characters)

4.01/5  rDev +5.5%

Shared with my brother. Out of a Brooklyn Brewery tulip. Reviewed from my notes.

A- Pitch black, no head, no lacing. Looks flat.

S- It has vinous notes, hints of vinegar. I also get chocolate, grape skins, and oak. I get a lot of Older Viscosity in this beer. It's surprisingly tart and funky for no additional sour yeasts.

T- Sour cherry tartness at first, smoothes to tastes of sherry/port, bouron. Again vinous notes, and tastes of sour grape skins. Quite mouth puckering at first, with more bourbon on the back end. Very remenicent of Older Viscosity at times, with the additional tart fruit.

M- No carbonation, which is not ideal. It doesn't need much, but this is flat. It is very complex, and very tart. The body is really nice too, but it needs some light bubbles.

O- Not bad, but the flatness did have a negative impact on the drinkability. The beer is very tart and has a very interesting flavor profile. There was a lot going on here, and at times it was a little too overwhelming.

-GFunk (1,005 characters)

4.49/5  rDev +18.2%

Celebrating me finishing my first assignment in law school and my buddy getting a job! My first Veritas experience...Deep breaths...here it goes: Poured into Lost Abbey stemware. Pours a dark brown color with hues of red purple. Small tan head...I don't see why people say this beer isn't carbonated. Scent is initially chocolatey with nice, tart cherries. Maple syrup and molasses. Nice bourbon and vanilla aromas as well. Very complex nose. Taste is just as complex. Very rich and chocolatey...cocoa and red wine vinegar. Lots of cherry and sweet bourbon. Very acidic finish with a nice, warming alcohol burn. Mouthfeel is lightly carbonated (what can you expect from a beer that's basically 4 years in the making upon release), rich and full bodied. Drinkability is high. Overall, this beer is definitely meant to be sipped and savored like a fine wine. Extremely rich and complex. Great beer! (896 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +26.3%

Poured from bottle on 9/9/2011:

Appearance: Dark Brown nearly black, subtle tan head.

Smell: Chocolate, Bourbon, Molasses, Red Wine, Sherry, Cherries, Acidic.

Taste: Sour, Acidic, Red Berries, Cherries, Boozy, Woody, Wine notes, Sherry.

Mouthfeel: Full bodied, light carbonation.

Overall: Extremely complex, sour, sweet, boozy. (333 characters)

4.81/5  rDev +26.6%

A: raisiny chocolatey brown with two millimeters of light brown gradient, flat, no lace.

S: sherry, kohlua and cacao, wood (especially cedar), hemp, red pepper, basil, fennel, pasta sauce, swiss cheese, light roast (non-acrid).

T: communion wine, lots of oak, lots of roast, but really nice smaller things: pomegranate, sour cherries, nutmeg, Bazooka bubble gum.

M: low to non-existent carbonation (my favorite part of this beer) and a lighter body than I would have expected--though in a great way. It feels more like a heavy read wine than anything else.

O: one of the most interesting beers that I've ever had. The stoutish part was pleasantly subdued (especially when warmed; gets much more sour as it gets warmer). Loved the wine, I think this as close as a beer has come to a good red wine (maybe a Syrah)--at least that I've tried. Very, very interesting hybrid/mutant. (881 characters)

3.92/5  rDev +3.2%

Bottle # 3 of the 07,08 and 09 series at Jason’s sour tasting. Most interesting of the 3. Pours a deep dark brown with a minimal tan head that fade quickly. Notes of caramel, oak and burnt sugar. Mild, sweet flavors of cherries, with touches of bourbon, vanilla and red wine, Hints of brown sugar on the finish. Little if any carbonation, with an oily mouthfeel. Not the typical Veritas for sure. Will have to age one and try again in a year. (444 characters)

1.92/5  rDev -49.5%

Pours brown pondwater flat. No apparent carbonation to speak of. Smell and flavor are not very notable. A mess of vinous dark fruit and barrels. Fairly sweet, slightly sour. Not very complex. Body is on the thicker side and no carbonation. Overall, this was a disappointing beer. After reading the brewery's hype, I was expecting something a little more interesting.

It's hard to understand where all those initial extremely high scores are coming from. I enjoyed Veritas 008 more than this. (492 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +16.3%

Dark like a porter, almost no head, aroma of bourbon barrel. Whoa mommy...mix a sour on Heaven Hill barrel and what a taste sensation. Rich fruits, plums, prunes, and lactic sour notes. Damn tasty but complex and not for the timid! Can be a touch mouth puckering but damn flavorful. (282 characters)

2.83/5  rDev -25.5%

Huge thanks to jale for bringing this to the Jackie O's bottle release last weekend (thanks Jim!). From a quick poll of those around us it's evident that this is a polarizing beverage. Some loved it, some hated it (I'm in this camp), no one felt half ass about it though.

This poured darker than the other Veritas series that I've had, brownish and flat. The aroma is pretty involved, I guess complex, but to no good effect as far as I'm concerned. Cocoa + woodiness + cherry + a little vanilla. Only hints of acidity. Actually not appetizing, more of a mess to me, the sum being less than the addition of the components.

Not very sour tasting, I guess I was hoping for a sour masterpiece like 004 but this was not to be. Complex for sure, but in an unappreciated way. I'll give it this: It's way better than 008. But I wouldn't want to have it again. (853 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +26.8%

Big thanks to Grant (heyohhhh) for the generous share during a wonderfully successful mini-tasting. V009 pours a rich, deep purplish-black hue, a color not unlike that of a black cherry or an eggplant, and while the brew has visually discernible viscosity in the form of legs upon the glass, it shows absolutely no sign of liveliness or effervescence. None of that matters, because V009 is an absolutely fantastic and utterly unique beer that is done a disservice by being compared to other brews; it really is that different. There are so many things going on here, but I'll start with the feel, which is an absolutely integral component of this experience: it has the mouthfeel of a heavier wine replete with silkiness up front, juicy-acidic body, and a drying tannic finish. In this case, the flatness, or non-effervescence, serves the beer so well that I cannot imagine it with carbonation, a la Quelque Chose. It is like a beer-flavored wine, with notes ranging from a Belgian Quad-esque heavy dark fruit melange to chocolatey -bal IS notes, to oak, sherry/port and red wine impartations. Fruit notes include everything from currant, cherry, date, fig, tamarind, cranberry, and raspberry, but they come across in a very unusual fashion, pungent, perhaps as if they were macerated in sherry. The barrel and wood character is varied and complex as well, offering nuances ranging from sweetly vinous, to richly Bourbon-tinged, to dryly oaky-tannic. Lastly, there is the element of tartness to speak of: it is just about perfectly balanced with the plethora of other features; it is mildly sour-acidic, somewhat bright with light medicinal notes, and just the slightest bit overripe-fruit funky. This is a great beer, and one I look forward to trying again. (1,758 characters)

3.19/5  rDev -16.1%

Thanks again for Ryan (ShadesofGray) for sharing his bottle of V009.

This a very wine-like beer in appearance, nose and taste. It's a very dark grape-y color with almost no carbonation. The beer smells like vanilla and oak with just a little oxidation. There is lots of vinous character in the beer, jammy blackberry and a lot of oak tannins. There is a little bit of acidity, but not much funk. A little caramel sweetness helps ground the beer, although the beer is fairly dry. Can't say I would ever try to get this again, but it was an interesting beer, that really melded the beer and wine characteristics well. (616 characters)

Very dark purple-to-crimson pour. The color in the light was really interesting. Nearly still.

Nose was heavily vinous. Merlot soaked fudge. Not really any funk to it but I notice some acidity. I sensed a little bit of a chemical-like aroma.

Taste was very rich and decadent. The beer delved into layers of acidic dark chocolate, leather, cherries, caramelized dark fruits, and red grapes and skins. Heavy mix of hydrolyzable and condensed tannins combined with acidity from bacteria leaves this beer extremely dry and puckering. It's like chewing on grapes skins. Age would do very well for this beer. I don't believe the lack of carbonation detracts from this beer. In fact, I think it would just get in the way.

The major problem I found was that I felt something was missing from this beer. I thought it needed more sweetness or some level of heat (spicy) to cut through the drying acidity that seemed to build up as you kept drinking it. Quick thinking and a pinch of cayenne pepper set this beer off. Too bad I can't rate it with the aftermarket modifications. (1,070 characters)

3.87/5  rDev +1.8%

At the time of this review, this is the #9 top American Wild Ale on the beeradvocate best of lists. Bottle shared by Thorpe429 generously the other night, he had tried to force carb it.

Beer is dark black, really no head, low carbonation, no lacing, meh.

The aroma is an interesting mixture of an almost molasses, acetic, lactic, citric, oakiness with hints of tannic. In reality, the aroma was way sweeter than I was expecting.

Beer is interesting and I enjoyed it ultimately but it is not like the other Vertias in the series. This beer was bigger in body, sweeter on the palate and finished much much sweeter than the other sours in the "series." I should look up the blend to figure out where this toffee like sweetness is coming from. It is a good beer but overall it should be carbonated and it should be sweeter. I would hope that time would improve this beer but since it is uncarbonated right now who knows if there are any living organisms in the bottles to finish off the fermentation and provide a finished product. (1,030 characters)

3.66/5  rDev -3.7%

750 mL bottle shared by Mike at a visit to Farmer's Cabinet Alexandria. We later experimented with force carbonating the beer, but I didn't feel like that was necessary or added anything to my (lack of) enjoyment of this.

Pours a turbid, deep reddish brown, near black. Some light tan bubbles form initially but obviously no head given the lack of carbonation. Some reddish legs coat the glass.

Aroma is an intense acidic and vinous blend of plums, grapes, chocolate, oak, red wine, bourbon and after someone rudely suggested Triple Block I began to imagine soy. While I enjoyed this blend and contrast of bold flavors in the aroma, I though the taste was a sloppy mess. Overly acidic, vinous and boozy, the sweet fruit flavors never quite integrate with blend of barrels.

Despite lack of carbonation, the body works well, with a chewy, medium thick base and a long tannic finish. I guess I'm interested in how this ages, but I wouldn't be surprised if this became really awesome or really terrible. (1,004 characters)

4.6/5  rDev +21.1%

Bottle consumed as a precursor to the barrel-aged barleywine tasting at a preview of Terry's beers at the Farmers Cabinet facility in Alexandria.

Disclaimer: this beer was initially flat, and I subsequently force-carbed it to a low level. Given the interaction of things in the mouthfeel, I don't think the carbonation was really necessary or added much.

Pours a murky dark brown color with a garnet hue. No real head other than a few tan bubbles that popped up and fell almost instantaneously.

The nose starts things off right with notes of chocolate and a bit of dark malt. Atop that were strong notes of cherry, red wine, and oak. Pretty good acidity with a very mild acetic character. The flavor was intense, to say the least. Really delicious with the dark malt and fruits combining with bright cherries and brisk acidity. Red wine and oak really round things out. Some acetic character as it warms up.

Mouthfeel is really fantastic. Not something I would have imagined myself for a sour, but it worked quite well. Strong acidity with a thick, chewy base that neared stout levels. Dry and tannic. Long finish. Very low carbonation.

Incredibly complex and well made. Not sure if the low carbonation was intentional, but I think it worked quite well. (1,260 characters)

3.97/5  rDev +4.5%

Reviewed from notes dictated into voice notes on my iphone.
Shared by funkyaudio at a tasting-- thanks Jim!

This is really dark in color. Looks pretty black when viewed straight ahead, but reddish brown in the legs and on the edges. Looks like it has very low carbonation, but come on-- I'm sure it was intended to be that way, right? It probably drinks like a fine red wine! Actually I like lost abbey.

This actually works pretty well. Nose has sweet caramel, toffee and molasses with a little tangy quality. Very nicely soured. Respectable and delicious.

Really dry finish with notes of dehydrated plums or something? a little bitterness on the back end too. It comes off well though. It's like slightly bitter, really dry, and then very cheek-tugging sour. The low carbonation really doesn't hurt in my opinion. (818 characters)

3.32/5  rDev -12.6%

A: Deep brown-black body. No carbonation, lack of anything resembling a head. Rather uninviting.

S: A lot is going on here in the nose, but I am not sure how successful the complexity really is. Chocolate, vanilla, subtle cherries, vinous notes and oak. Just a bit all over the place.

T: Like the nose, there is a hell of a lot here... not particularly bad, I just didn't think it was working. Not particularly sour... slight notes of oxidization-like sherry.

M: Flat. A bit oily on the palate. Weak finish. Not a particularly enjoyable overall impression.

O: Chalk me up as one of those people that just doesn't get this beer. I've enjoyed a fair number of flat lost abbey beers, but this one couldn't make up for it. (723 characters)

4.94/5  rDev +30%

Big dark marroon pour with a thin, slightly amber ring of lacy head. Aroma of dark chocolate, sour, sour cherries, French oak, toffee, brown sugar, very subduded roasty, spicy notes and amazing lactic notes. Flavors of pure bourbon, red wine, slight rust, dark chcocolate flavored cherries, and heavy sour plum hints. Full, silky, almost sticky and chewy mouthfeel. Starts out very soft and smooth, transitions to a sweet, Belgian dark ale, and fades out with a torrential wash of sour in the finish. This is truly a special, dark, lecherous lethal and seductive beer. If you get chance to try this beer. I highly recommend it. (627 characters)

Veritas 009 from The Lost Abbey