2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Veritas 009 - The Lost Abbey

Veritas 009Veritas 009

The Lost Abbey visit their website

American Wild Ale |  8.00% ABV

(Beer added by: HopHead84 on 05-28-2011)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 219 | Reviews: 89 | Show All Ratings:
turble

4.93/5  rDev +30.8%

Here goes my first review. I really did not know what to expect from this beer. From the description on the lost abbey site I was thinking it might be something along the lines of cuvee de tomme meets angel share. I had 1 3 oz poor while waiting in line at the release, and also split a bottle later that night. I wanted to try the bottle because some one had said they were more carbonated.

Has a strong chocolate flavor up front that balances well with the cherries. You will start to notice the bourbon once it starts to warm up. The carbonation is very low in both bottle and on tap. Poured a small head but dissipated fast. If anything it was more carbonated on tap. Overall the beer is perfect. I could not ask for anything more.

05-31-2011 06:59:06 | More by turble
davod23

4.65/5  rDev +23.3%

This beer is capable of breaking brains. Poured from the bottle into a Bruery tulip.

Pour is very dark. Near black, unless placed up to the light, when a clear, dark brown color is demonstrated. Pour is heavy and flat - no bubbles. Uh oh. Swirl of the glass yields nice legs. I doubt this is 8.0% abv like the label says. Slightly menacing-looking beer.

Smell. Whoa. Weirdness. But I really dig it. Huge tart cherries predominate throughout. Bourbon is silent at cold temperatures, but makes itself known as the beer warms. Vinous aromas reminiscent of cabernet. I swear I'm getting an aroma that reminds me of truffle salt, but I'm not convinced that I'm on point with that sensation. Some dark cocoa is intermixed in all this, somehow. Really complex.

Taste is grand, particularly at warmer temperatures. Strikingly and surprisingly sour. Big sour cherrys with a tiny dollop of chocolate fudge. Bourbon isn't really there. Red wine most definitely is.

Mouthfeel is full, but not heavy. Very sticky. Looong finish. This beer will remain on your lips for hours. The only complaint here is that it could benefit from a few more bubbles - there is just a hint of a tickle of carbonation here. I thought I detected it, but my drinking buddy swears this was completely flat. We both agree, however, that it wasn't much of a detraction - this beer doesn't really need the carbonation that badly.

Overall, this is great stuff. A special occasion beer for sure, and surely one to spring on people to make their heads explode. Halfway through the glass, it occurred to me that this is a beer that I would expect Hair of the Dog to create. Somewhat akin to what might happen if Alan tossed some bugs in the Cherry Adam. Extremely complex, very interesting. Highly recommended.

05-31-2011 02:23:35 | More by davod23
Schmaltzy

4.8/5  rDev +27.3%

On tap at the release party.

A- Wow, I was a little scared seeing this brown beast in my glass, I didn't think it was going to be sour from the look of the beer. Nice brown color with slight red/brown hues and light 1/2 finger head that dissapates quickly.

S- Nice roasted malt and chocolate with tons of sour cherry aroma followed with a hint of bourbon, really light on the bourbon, you will only notice it as it warms up, also detecting some nice wooden tannins in this.

T- Nice chocolate notes with light bourbon immediately followed by an overwhelmingly sour cherry flavor, really interesting beer. Nice dark chocolate and roastiness in the front with tart cherries on the mid, side, and back pallate, extremely dry finish with nice oaky wooden tannins, this will age nicely, it already has a year of conditioning within the bottle. Really a great tasting beer that leaves you wondering the many different flavors, each sip imparts different chocolates, roastiness, oakiness, and wine/cherry flavors.

M- Perfect carbonation that I'm hoping will transition to the bottles, nice flavors and medium body, nice level of tannins for aging.

D- Really easy to drink this beer and as I stated above this beer is fun to drink with the everchanging flavors and layers that leave you wanting more. Highly recommend, gonna try to keep several for the years ahead...

05-30-2011 21:08:30 | More by Schmaltzy
cocoapuph

4.33/5  rDev +14.9%

As my first BA review, I am glad it's of Veritas 009.

I was skeptical at first because of the dark chocolate/red color that was poured into my 4oz taster. But man, did it taste completely different than expected.

First off, the smell kept me guessing which flavors were going to be more pronounced in the taste. I picked up a tangy, oaky, nutty smell. And then some sour fruit and grape odors.

Very tasty. First you get a little of a smooth chocolate flavor mixed with those tart cherry notes. This beer had a pleasant sour/tartness level. And the bourbon and wine flavors harmonized perfectly with the medium to full body feel of the beer.

And as said by other reviewers, I could still taste the flavors on my tongue 5-10 minutes after finishing the pour.

Glad I was fortunate to pick up a few bottles to age and drink again later!

05-30-2011 01:42:40 | More by cocoapuph
ZX6Chris

4.83/5  rDev +28.1%

Sampled this at the release.

I read the reviews so I expected the dark color but the flavors were not something I was expecting.

The main flavor was tart cherries, extremely tart cherries. Chocolate, roastiness and some bourbon from the barrel aging. Seemed very dry, those tart cherries just gripped on to your tongue and wouldn't let it go, I've never had a beer with such a long finish.

Very strong flavors now that work well together but I see this aging very well, it had a medium to full body and a very smooth texture.

Thanks Tomme!

05-29-2011 19:30:47 | More by ZX6Chris
PlinyTheKid

4.93/5  rDev +30.8%

Had a 4oz draft pour at Lost Abbey.

Rather surprised when I saw the bartender pour the beer in the glass. Had a dark chocolate-like, brownish color with a red wine tint. Before smelling it, I anticipated the beer to resemble Cascade's Bourbonic Plague. The smell had sharp notes of sour, red fruits. There was a burst of cherries in the smell with a vineous sting. The taste was no different. The first sip was just the perfect primer to the palate. Strong sour flavors of cherry, and a hint of tamarinds. I didn't get much of the bourbon in the flavor, but the color seemed to be manipulated by it. Wasn't really boozy either. It was just the right amount of alcohol in it to compliment the beer in all sorts of ways. It's very smooth and mouth-watering. Can't wait to try this again in one year.

Overall: Incredible

05-29-2011 08:43:02 | More by PlinyTheKid
pastradul

4.65/5  rDev +23.3%

aboiut 10oz draft pour into a lost abbey chunky tumbler.

pours a dark maroon, maybe dark purple. Fair amount of head about a fingers worth but fades away quickly.

the aroma is very intriguing. You get the sour cherry and some strong vinegar also along with some dark earthy notes a very dry nose similar to a big red wine.

the taste is fantastic. upfront you get a mix of the barrel some bourbon notes play with the wine barrel flavors. followed by some dark grape and cherry notes along with tart vinegar in the middle of the palate. then it finishes with a very dry mouth sucking bite.

Drinkablility is amazing. went through the glass no problem. look forward to trying this gem from a bottle.

05-29-2011 08:10:26 | More by pastradul
PeprSprYoFace

4.97/5  rDev +31.8%

On tap at the release. Reviewed from notes. Had 2, 3oz or so tasters. Poured into a 4oz port brewing taster glass.

Pours a black to dark brown. Decent tan head dissipated to a film and left some ok lacing.

Aroma is amazing. So many things going on. Sourness up front with bourbon and then a bit of the cherries and wine from the wine barrels. I didn't think those two things went together but they marry well.

Taste is awesome. Same as above with that sort of older viz or angels share bourbon flavor mixed with the sour cherries and lactic acid and then the smooth chocolate. Nice wine characteristics as well but I wish they came through a bit more than they did.

Mouthfeel was spot on. Smooth and coats your mouth. Carbonation was spot on but this is on tap.

Overall an amazing beer that I'm glad I have 4 bottles of. Probably wont trade any off because it's so awesome.

05-29-2011 06:07:44 | More by PeprSprYoFace
johndoe8

4.63/5  rDev +22.8%

The beer definitely exceeded expectations, and was an overall winner. Most people definitely seemed to be enjoying this beer when the tapped that 15 gallon keg of this.

Appearance was a dark, and not overly viscous. Poured with a small 1cm head, without much lacing.
Aroma was pretty good. Slight cherry on the nose, with a tinge of bourbon in there.

Taste was just wonderful though... Wonderful sour notes added on top of the light cherry flavor. It seemed wonderfully better version of Cuvee de Tomme in a way.. cherry a little more subdued, it had the perfect amount of viscosity for this type, with a great great sourness.

Could this beer get better with age? Maybe... but I think it's drinking wonderfully right now. It's already been conditioning for a year? I can see why Tomme decided to release this one.. it's pretty epic.

Compared to the other Veritas, I don't quite hold it in quite as high esteem as the yummy 004, but honestly, thinking about it more, it's definitely on par with 006 and 007. Completely different beers, so this is quite the subjective opinion, but I could entirely see this beer being more memorable than those, esp given how unique this special beer is. Never had anything like this.. like the perfect amalgamation of a bourbon flavored sour!

Hopefully this beer holds up, as I don't want to drink my bottles immediately!

05-29-2011 04:01:25 | More by johndoe8
vacax

4.75/5  rDev +26%

As much talk happens about the Lost Abbey, this offering reminds us that boundaries are still being pushed in San Marcos and the results can be spectacular. I had a couple tasters of this beer, which poured menacingly black with only a few sparse bubbles to signify the presence of head. Aromas aren't best described at a packed brewery release, but what I did sense reminded of sour cherries and dark fruits, sour and vinous.

The story behind this beer is quite remarkable, and not until this beverage hit my tongue did I realize that the resulting beer actually is equally, or probably even more remarkable. I heard this was sour, so I expected a prototypical "Lost Abbey sour" with good flavor and excess acidity. What hit my tongue is not like any other Lost Abbey beer, incomparable to just about anything I have tried in the last few thousand beers I've tried.

The one word I think describes the flavor is robust--dark fruits immediately engulf the tongue, rich, satisfying sour cherries, unprecedentedly rich vinous character. Sour and oaky with a malt background, but all of these things so well integrated using any of them alone seems foolish. Sour, but not acidic, and malty, but not roasty--the end result is something port-like in quality. Something rich, palate pleasing, and robust.

Finally I understand the constant references to "wine drinkers" enjoying this. I thought that was mostly non-sense, but I have to admit this is spot on. Low carbonation, creamy and moderately thick body coats the palate and a tangy tartness lingers on the palate, not unlike a good dark wine, but better than that obviously.

I found this beer to be a revelation that pushes boundaries. Excellent as of the release date and every bit deserving of the name of the already legendary series it belongs to: Veritas.

05-29-2011 01:09:03 | More by vacax
paytoplay

4.08/5  rDev +8.2%

Odd. A blend of intense cuvee Tomme and a lighter angels share. Cherries seemed light and some red wine red fruits with a backbone of bourbon and intense sour. Where does this beer go from here? Can it improve? How different is it out of bottle. More questions than answers. It does bring you back for more. The mind bender factor is high. I like being challenged, this does that.

05-28-2011 22:54:56 | More by paytoplay
dmsohyea

4.6/5  rDev +22%

On-tap at Lost Abbey served in a taster glass ($3).

A: Pours dark brown with minimal khaki brown head. Retention is moderate and lacing is minimal.

S: Tons of brown sugar and toasted malt, some bourbon and oak, with just a touch of sour cherry.

T: Extremely complex and well layered. Individual flavors really stand out at different points in the tasting. Up front is strong red wine flavor, oak and some cherry. It's clearly sour, but not overbearingly sour. Towards the middle more malty sweetness comes balanced out with less wine and more sour flavors. The finish has a touch of chocolate and a wisp of bourbon. I didn't get the bourbon until the very very end, almost like breathing out the whiskey.

M: Carbonation is low with a slick, oily mouthfeel. Very smooth and easy to drink.

O: Complex. Sweet, sour, red wine, bourbon, and oak all mixed together in a way that all flavors really stand out. Definitely a winner for me. Possibly the best sour I've had to this point.

05-28-2011 22:24:06 | More by dmsohyea
kbutler1

4.43/5  rDev +17.5%
look: 3 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Draft. Enjoyed 2 sample glass pours at the Lost Abbey release. Poured a dark brown black color with a slight tan head. Dark chocolate, roast, dark fruit, cherry all come out in the nose. Surprisingly I get very little bourbon notes given the time it spent in barrels. Light/medium mouthfeel. Much more sour than expected, not overly so but for sure the sour cherries made their mark. After the sour cherry flavors comes slight roast, cocoa, and dark fruit. Some booze but not overpowering. Ends dry. More fruit forward than expected. The samples didn’t pour with a ton of carbonation and I hope the bottles are different. The wine barrels really imparted a truly nice flavor.
Bottle: Not a ton of carbonation but the flavors are just outstanding.

05-28-2011 18:40:09 | More by kbutler1
HopHead84

4.6/5  rDev +22%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Thanks! This spent a year in bourbon barrels and then another year in wine barrels with sour cherries. Supposedly it's been bottle conditioning for a year and a half. I guess it's 3.5 years old at this point. An interesting fact about the beer: The beer was not inoculated with bacteria and no Brett was used. All the wild notes come from the bacteria on the cherry skins.

A: Bottle opens with a big pop. Deep brown in the snifter with a crimson tinge near the edges when held to light. Small light brown head quickly fades. Nice color.

S: Strong cherry aroma with a substantial lactic presence. Light Brett character, but it's subdued compared to the lactic notes. Cherries are tart and pronounced with notes of chocolate and oak. The wine barrels left a strong mark on this, and those characteristics blend well with bourbon notes. Alcohol is deftly masked. This is complex yet nuanced.

T: Quite tart up front with powerful lactic sour and cherry notes. Nice chocolate profile. Quite vinous, with lesser notes of bourbon and oak. The cherries are strong throughout. Alcohol is incredibly subtle for a beer that's around 12% ABV. Lightly tannic and dry in the sour cherry chocolate finish. Light acetic acidity.

M: Upper medium in body with lower carbonation. Mouthfeel is sticky, smooth, and tannic, with notable warming.

Overall: A fantastic strong dark sour. Highly recommended.

05-28-2011 14:32:51 | More by HopHead84