Cable Car Kriek - The Lost Abbey

The Lost Abbey visit their website

American Wild Ale |  7.00% ABV

Beer added by: HopHead84 on 11-12-2011

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast

Reviewing a bottle of the test batch for Cable Car Kriek from The Lost Abbey out of San Marcos, California. Major thanks to Paul and Jonathan for sharing this rare treat with me!

Score: 100

The only thing I know about the bottling date of this beer is that it predates the 2011 release of Cable Car Kriek. My buddy got a Cable Car Kriek label sticker, which he put on the otherwise unmarked bottle. Served in a Cantillon stemmed balloon glass and enjoyed on 11/16/13. Review is from iPhone notes.

Appearance: Pours a finger-plus of white frothy head. Color is a murky red-orange color with a bit of yellow-orange fade towards the edges of the body when held up to light. Excellent lacing and retention. 5/5

Smell: Cherry, then dank cinnamon, funk, wood, dank spice, fig, raisin, wood and lemon. Hint of tobacco and vanilla. Lots of unexpected cinnamon present in the nose, which is ridiculously complex and perfectly balanced between all the elements present. Just enough funk is present to give it an added dimension of complexity without detracting at all from the appeal of the other aromatics. 5/5

Taste: Tart cherry hits first, then cinnamon, spice, vanilla and wood. Musty funk on the midpalate, oddly reminisce of that Cantillon house character with a little bit of age. Vanilla and cherrywood finish, light lemon backbone. Dark cherry notes and a little bit of cocoa-like flavor come through too as the beer warms up. The cherry flavor persists throughout, and lingers nicely in the finish. I love how well the vanilla flavor plays with sour characters without being medicinal or coming across as being out of place. All the flavors here are so perfectly integrated. There is so much going on, and it all works. The cinnamon character is a nice unique twist, though it is less prominent on the palate than it was in the nose. 5/5

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied, spot on carbonation (rare for a Lost Abbey beer). Great mix of sweet and sour, with a dry finish. 5/5

Overall: One of the best beers I have ever had the pleasure to consume. It is complex, robust in flavor, tart, balanced and insanely drinkable. There is a reason this is one of the most sought after beers out there. I would not say it is worth the $600-800 it commands on the secondary market, but I enjoyed it more than M, which costs much more to acquire. My only quip here is that someone stole the bottle from Paul later in the evening. Seek this one out with confidence.

Cost: $50 for a 750 ml bottle (good luck finding it that for that price nowadays).

Enjoyed in as part of an impromptu '09-'11 Cable Car vertical with my buddy Nate and MatSciGuy from RateBeer.

A: Cloudy red, hazy, more white head than expected, leaves good lace. Unexpectedly beautiful for a kriek.

S: Rich cherries, tart fruit, sour and funky yeast, oaky goodness. Very full bouquet of flavors, straight up awesome.

T/M: Full-bodied, creamy, and pretty darn sour. Super fresh cherries taste like they were picked this morning. Perfectly balanced with fruit, funky yeast, oaky barrel goodness and some breadyness too. Finishes bone dry and smooth as can be.

Interestingly enough, cherry peel solids found their way into my glass for a truly unfiltered experience. This beer has no faults and is probably the best sour I've ever tasted. Just...wow!

D: Is it wrong to call this limited release beer sessionable? I feel bad drinking multiples of these since the bottle count was low, but I cannot bring myself to stop sipping this godly nectar; it's truly flawless. And it's time for another bottle.

This is the first perfect rating I've ever given, and Cable Car Kriek 2011 is truly deserving. Even more astonishing is that I generally dislike the kriek style, with a strong preference towards gueuze. Yet, the '09 & '10 Cable Cars were clearly outclassed by this 2011 Kriek.

Make your pilgrimage to Toronado and enjoy a bottle before they're all gone. You won't regret it.

4.92/5  rDev +9.1%

Had a bottle at Toronado San Diego.

A: a crisp looking ruby color, minimal head with very fine lacing.

S: This scent would be extraordinary anywhere. Wish I didn't have to wash out the bottle. Fresh cherries up front with a nice wine-barrel undertone.

T: Wow. Arguably one of the best sours I've ever had. Fantastic cherry flavors with some subtle citrus just to throw me off. Great profile blending with whatever wine barrels they used.

MF/D: Incredibly smooth. Fortunately we didn't get a gusher, and the carbonation was faint, effervescent, and smooth. Can't wait to convince my friends to get another bottle!

4.92/5  rDev +9.1%

Bottle in Lost Abbey stemware at Toronado.

A: Pours an attractive reddish orange with a big mousse-like head. Great retention and sheets of lacing cling to the glass.

S: Liquid cherry pie with light barnyard and leather notes. The fruit is bright and highly aromatic. Oak is light, and I get a touch of vinegar with some vanilla.

T: A burst of sweet and tart cherries up front and a mouth puckering tartness. An upper moderate lactic sourness suffuses my palate, and there's an overall fruit sweetness that harmonizes with the sour and tart notes to make for a delicious sensory experience. The fruit is really great, super vibrant and flavorful. There's a little vanilla. Oak is apparent and there are light leather notes. There's a light acetic acidity accompanying drying oak in the cherry pie finish.

M: The beer is medium in body with high carbonation. The mouthfeel is sticky and dry with a light tannic quality.

Overall: A departure from the normal blond sour we know as Cable Car, but I'd say this was a successful experiment. The beer is delicious.

I've had this a couple more times and I'm having it tonight. I'm bumping this from a 4.5 on smell, taste, and overall to a 5 on all those categories. This has funked up a bit and become outrageously good. Glorious cherry pie with a mouth puckering tartness and a bright citric acidity. Just a touch of acetic acidity. Wood and tannins throughout. Killer.

4.87/5  rDev +8%

Poured from bottle into Lost Abbey Tulip at Toronado San Diego.

Right out of the bottle the glass is met with an incredible red foam, settling into a reddish, grapefruit hazy abyss beneath a white, fluffly head. Small splotches of orange are found in the residual head. The aroma is filled with incredible sweet cherries, like a pie filling, vanilla, and slight oak background. The nose does not give off a huge amount of sour, but a tartness is surely present. The taste is very much the same, however, it starts out tart cherry in the front with a light vanilla in the background to round out the flavor. Minimal oak character comes forth. I took a while to drink this, in doing so, I noticed as it sat and warmed up the tartness fleeted and it was left with a very appealing sweet cherry body. Mouthfeel was great. Excellent in carbonation, medium-ish. Frothy head added a decent amount of body, which went well with the great, full flavor. I am very thankful to have tried this. I wish it were available in to-go bottles

4.86/5  rDev +7.8%

Had this side by side with 2013 regular Cable Car and Veritas 012.
A: Be warned, this is a gusher! We were aware of it so we opened it carefully enough to lose very few of it. Pours darker than Veritas 012, reddish with a good white foam.
S: Smell is really complex, although the cherry is not obvious. The balance is awesome. Barnyard, funk, verry clean. Tart cherries come after with raspberries and minerals aromas. Reminiscent of the old 3F Hommage for some reason.
T: Taste is more focused on the red fruits and some soaked fruits. Still very clean for an American wild ale. Lots of funk, barnyard, horse blanket, hay. Sharp sourness, no acidic acid, no lactiness. Highly drinkable.
M: Well carbonated, soft mouthfeel, puckering sourness, awesome!
O: Mindblowing beer. Very very surprising. It brings Cable Car to another level and completely overwhelms the Veritas 012. I am glad I was able to try this, it certainly lives up to the hype.

4.82/5  rDev +6.9%

A - Pours a hazy red color with a slightly orange hint with a thin finger of frothy white head. The head fades down at a normal pace leaving behind some lace spots.

S - Aroma is full of lots of fresh sour cherries with some citrus and other sweet fruits. There is some nice tartness and some oak to add some complexity. Really great smelling beer.

T - Starts off with a nice kick of sour cherry flavor with some oak and tartness providing some depth. Through the middle, more sourness comes through with some citrus and raspberry flavor. There is a bit more oak and some funk that join in as well. As the beer finishes it mellows out a bit with some oak, sourness, and funk lingering on the tongue alongside the cherries.

M - Medium bodied with moderate-plus carbonation. Maybe a hint over carbonated, but very smooth and crisp.

D - Extremely drinkable. Very well balanced. The sourness and fruit flavors are excellent and have some great richness and depth. Really enjoyed this beer.

4.8/5  rDev +6.4%

Had this multiple times. Reviewing the most recent one I've had @ Toronado SD (not available anymore though :/)

Thankfully this, bottle was not a gusher. Nice pop to the cork though. Served in a wine tulip. The bottle was chilled down considerably and had not been moved around much at all.

The carbonation was generous, but not overly so. It definitely subdued after sitting in the glass a bit. The smell is of tart cherries, slight amount of funky earthy/barnyard to it.

The beer itself tastes very fruity, more sour than I remember it in past bottles, and resembles more like a great american wild than the tart cherry soda it could have passed for a year ago.

Mouthfeel is excellent, lightly mouthpuckering with the the carbonation makes it quite refreshing. I never get sick of this beer (probably responsible for at least half a case of it purchased onsite for consumption).

Overall, I've noticed that the bottles at Toronado that had sat in their keg room undisturbed for a year have all turned out quite wonderful. I haven't seen a Cable Car Kriek gusher since the release day back in August last year. Not that it matters anymore, but if anyone has bottles floating around in their cellars, I'd probably leave it undisturbed for a while before opening to make sure you don't lose any of this awesome sour!

4.73/5  rDev +4.9%

Bottle (2011)

The Lost Abbey
San Marcos, CA

Bright, glowing red, ruby, and orange. This looks like a gorgeous sunset in the glass. There's a lot of carbonation; the head is thick and sticks around, not budging for quite some time. Sheets of eggshell colored lace are left down the glass. Gorgeous.

The cherries are vibrant and dominate the aroma, though it's all balanced well by an earthy, barnyard-style funk. There's the slightest amounts of vinegar and wood, but the cherries and yeast are particularly dominant. A joy.

Bright, vibrant, and plump cherry flavors start this one out. I don't think I've yet to drink a kriek that had as much authentic, juicy cherry flavor as this one. Along with the cherry is a nice amount of barnyard and earthy funk notes, along with a bit of oak.

Medium bodied with high carbonation.

A near perfect kriek. This was a true joy to sip and savor.

4.73/5  rDev +4.9%

Poured from bottle into Tulip at Toronado San Diego.

Appearance: Pours a bright hazy red/orangeish color with about a fingers width of a light pink head that dissipates there after leaving by some thin lacing along the glass.

Smell: Aroma is loaded with tons of fresh ripe/sour cherries with some faint citrus and a very mild vanilla tinge.

Taste: Powerful dose of fresh, ripe, sour cherries illicit a mild sweetness as well. Initially the sourness is right from the start, and grows in intensity as the beer warms, followed very briefly by a ripe sweet cherry flavor that finishes right back to a dry mellow sour cherry tartness with some oak.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with medium-high carbonation that sips perfectly.

Overall: Another fantastic sour (Kriek) by The Lost Abbey. This was a great move to go to the kriek style for 2011. Could not have asked for any better. One of the best krieks I have had and if you are ever at Toronado SD I suggest you grab one before this rarity disappears for ever.

4.71/5  rDev +4.4%

From 04/14/12 notes. Big thanks to Brad for busting this one out at our DC Epic Sour Tasting. Got to try 2 versions of this next to a normal 2010 Cable Car. The first was an unlabeled version that was allegedly dubbed "too sour" and not released. The second was the labeled version available at Toronado. I enjoyed both but thought the normal labeled version was much better, so reviewing that one.

a - Pours a murky pinkish red color with one inch of off white head and moderate carbonation evident.

s - Smells of sour tart, cherries, sour dark fruits, spices, cinnamon, yeast, and some light earthy notes. Really awesome, a ton of cherries.

t - Tastes of sour cherries, tart dark fruits, spices, fruity malts, funk, floral and earthy notes. Taste is a little fruitier then the nose. Really awesome taste, super tart and fruity. Perfect for me and a kriek.

m - Medium body and moderate carbonation. Crisp and easy to drink. Really nice.

o - Overall I thought this was an amazing beer; I preferred the labeled version and think I preferred it slightly to the normal Cable Car. A ton of tart cherries and soem light spice, this is one of the best krieks I've ever had. Hope they have this at Toronado when I eventually make it out there.

4.67/5  rDev +3.5%

SO EXCITED to try this beer. I walked into SD Toronado (the SUPERIOR Toronado of the two) while I was on my birthday vacation and was shocked to see this sitting in the cooler. Yes, it was SITTING IN THE COOLER...for all to see. No asking the bartenders if they have it just to let them decide if they like you enough to serve it to you. This Toronado does it how it should be. Such great service, outstanding food, and great beer selection. Back to the Kriek,..it poured a lot less "pink" than I thought it would be. It was a clouded, light-red color with an off-white head. Scent is very cherry-forward with some definite barnyard and musty aromas. The smell is so darn inviting, I can't help but take few sips of this beer immediately. The cherry is so profound in this beer, more than I expected. A good amount of oak and funk. Not overly acidic whatsoever...in fact, not very acidic at all. Just a clean, funky, fruity, wild ale. Mouthfeel is medium bodied, almost puckering, with a juicy finish. Sour and juicy equals amazing in my book. Drinkability is VERY HIGH. Overall, this beer was worth every penny I spent on it. I went into the night willing to spend $80 on the bottle, just to find out it was $55. So worth it. A phenomenal wild ale.

4.61/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

750ml bottle 7,0% Abv.
Served chilled in a wine glass.
No bottle date.

CCK was one of those beers that wasn't even on my want list as I was pretty sure I would never ever get a chance to taste, but thanks to the endless generosity of futur123 I am actually about to taste it! Thanks man, I really owe you for this one.

Appearance: The cork popped out with an almighty bang and for a moment I thought I would get away without a gush, but as soon as I took my eye off the bottle pink foam started to rise slowly out of the neck. Thankfully I had glasses ready and managed to catch it all.
The beer settles a clouded red-orange (almost peachy) with just a tinge of pink and is topped by a large pink tinted head. The head retention is reasonable, but sadly it doesn't leave anything in the way of lacing.

Smell: Wow, there is a ton of cherry in the initial nose and far sweeter than I had expected - its almost jammy. A few more sniffs reveal a fantastic acidity (a touch of vinegar) as well as a spicy almost cinnamon bark character. As the beer warms the nose opens up with a little oak and some funk (old hay, wet wood, mold and the faintest hint of vomit) becoming apparent.

Taste: As the nose suggested there is a ton of sweet cherry upfront, but it is balanced by a nice tartness and a fantastic acidity. Notes include: Sweet jammy cherries, some tart cherry skins, a touch of vinegar, a little oak, lightly spicy, undergrowth, old hay and a touch of leather. The finish is quite dry.

Mouthfeel: Initially there is a high level of rather expansive carbonation, but thankfully it settles down pretty quickly to reveal finer bubbles that complement the acidity perfectly and lead to a fantastically spritzy finish. The body is medium and offers the faintest stickiness from the fruit.

Overall: Cable Car Kriek is a fantastic cherry sour and quite a lot better than the regular Cable Car. That said, I would be really pissed off if I had paid $750 or what ever ridiculous price this are being sold for these days.

4.58/5  rDev +1.6%

Shared a bottle with the wife at Toronado SD. Have been waiting for this one. Poured into stemware.

Big POP when corked and served up a good light pinkish-white foam head. The beer itself was a clear rose/orange hue that become a little more hazy as we reached the bottom of the bottle.

Smells like a sour sugar candy. Artificial cherries and watermelon.

I was taken back with my first sip as the effervescence and tartness right off the bat was insane. After settling in, the roasted cherry skins come out. I got a deep earthiness and oak to round out the flavors as the liquid goes down the hatch. You know that taste when you finish a cherry popsicle and you chew on the popsicle stick for awhile? That's what I was tasting even 10-15 minutes after I was done with this one. Sweet, fruity wood.

This beer was very refreshing and clean tasting in my mouth. As we started tasting the cloudy portion of the the bottom of the bottle, the mouthfeel took on a little more depth.

So glad I had a chance to try this beer. Such a successful sour kriek ale. Hope to enjoy more of this in the future!

4.54/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.5

Big thanks to Josh(jbuddle) for opening this.

A- reddish pink with a beautiful haze and a soft pillow of white, cloud like head.

N- sour cherry, oak, funky sourness

T- a depth of cherry flavor, both sweet and sour cherry. great oakiness is coming through from sip to finish. sour fruit with a suttle sweetness. mmm this is good.

M- light spritzy carbonation, smooth dry finish

O- this one gets best in style IMO. by far the best kriek i have had.

4.5/5  rDev -0.2%

Bottle from Toronado SF.

Glowing reddish-amber body with quite a bit of haze. Very bubbly, with a big lasting pink head. Huge cherry presence on the nose, largely sour with a bit of cherry pie sweetness. Plenty of lacto here too, which reminds me of '09 Cable Car. The palate follows suit, very fruit heavy with an awesome sweet-sour dynamic from the fruit. Very lactic, though it avoids the harshness of some lacto-heavy sours. Brett contributes a mild earthy/leathery note, but the fruit really steals the show here. Quite good, my favorite Cable Car since '08.

4.47/5  rDev -0.9%

Pours a hazy red with a big ol head that disappears completely.

Smelly like super ripe magical cherries with that nice almondyness you look for in a kriek. Delicious funk in the aroma as well.

Tastes great! Cherries and a touch of cheesy funk. Tart skins and toasty almond make delicious appearances. Ripe ripe cherries steal the show.

Bubbly and effervescent with oaky drying tannins on the palate.

A damn good iteration of Cable Car, only with cherries!

4.43/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Thanks to Mike and Josh for this one. A long time want and one I thought I'd have to eventually travel to CA for. Much appreciated. 4oz. pour into a Lost Abbey teku.

Pours a .5 finger pink, frothy head with average retention. Beer is a slightly cloudy stunning pink orange. Lacing is spotty and sparse with some stringiness and thin legs. Average save for the really pretty color.

Nose is cinnamon, cherry jam, light tartness, hay, and some funky, wed woodiness. Clean, fruity and very aromatic and appetizing.

Sweet cherry, cinnamon, red fruit syrup, lightly sweet and mildly tart in the middle. Great balance. More cherry, lemon rind, and hay at the finish with a sweet and tart cherry aftertaste. Really really good.

Light to medium bodied with ample carbonation. Dry in the mouth and puckering going down. Very refreshing. Sticky and dry finish with a messy and lingering aftertaste. Nearly perfect.

I thought Cable Car was a slightly above average American Wild but this is a completely different animal. The addition of cherries has given this beer a whole new dimension and makes it clearly one of the best in the style. Definitely worth the hype.

4.42/5  rDev -2%

Brown glass bottle served into a wine glass at the Toronado in San Diego. Paid out the ass for this (I think it around $50.00). If there's a beer to shell this much out for, certainly this is it. (Or at least one of them; see my Narke Kaggen Stormaktsporter review). Reviewed from notes taken in October 2012.

A: Pours a half finger delicate beige head of good lacing, nice thickness, and brief but appreciable retention. Colour is a pale peach-red. Nontransparent; non-opaque. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show. Has the appeal of a masterful red wine or bourbon. Classy and understated. I can't wait to try it.

Sm: Sourness, bacteria, attenuated yeast, sour cherry, lactic notes, some malty sweetness, tart cherry skin, and bright fruit. Exceptional and clean. Promises some serious puckerworthy sourness. A moderate strength aroma. No alcohol comes through.

T: Sour, with some serious bacterial notes on the back end. Incredibly crisp like fresh red apple yet outfitted with a wonderful solid cherry body. Refreshing and clean, yet lightly vinegary and even subtly wine-esque. I get the wood, but it's subtle and understated in the background. Rich and smcak-your-lips flavorful. Incredibly tasty stuff. Masterfully complex and balanced. No alcohol is detectable. So fresh and luscious. The lingering long aftertaste helps me enjoy it for longer. I get cherrywood as well as oak. Some pear. Green apple. It's got all the sourness I could ever want, but the perfect amount without feeling tamed. Not at all overdone. Clean malts lend it body but don't intrude, letting the sourness shine through. It has an incredible amount of body for a kriek, almost like a fine French cider. I'm blown away. Marvelously built. Nicely acidic, as well. Tartness is supreme.

Mf: Crisp, full, and of perfect thickness. Smack-your-lips delightful. Smooth and wet, letting the flavour speak for itself. Suits the flavour profile quite well.

Dr: An incredible kriek. Lives up to the hype, definitely. Worth the price for a special occasion. Another remarkable sour from Lost Abbey. I'd love to have this again (or the regular Cable Car, for that matter). The mouthfeel isn't perfect; it lacks the fragile delicacy I'd expect in a masterful sour - but it's still lovely. Few sours I've had have such presence and flavour. The depth of flavour and layers of mastery burgeon throughout. I detect at least five distinct acts in the structure: the sweet, clean open; the initial sour apple and hints of bacteria; the middling bacteria sourness blast; the fading cidery sharp climax with hints of lightly spicy yeast and cherry abound; and the lightly dry fruit cherry skin finnish. Remarkable. Wow.

High A (4.43)

4.42/5  rDev -2%

Bottle consumed at Toronado - SF. Figured I'd fly in to try this when Mike generously offered to pay for the bottle. Served in a Cantillon tulip.

A - There are gushers, and then there is this beer. Thankfully the friendly Tornado stuff had warned me about this beer and I had five pint glasses ready to catch the deluge of foam that erupted from the bottle. When things finally calmed down I was eventually able to fill my glass. A finger of white foam settles to a thick collar, leaving behind tiny spots of lace. Hazy pink grapefruit-colored body.

S - The initial aroma is a wall of sweet, delicious, ripe cherries and pie crust and vanilla malt sweetness. However, when the beer warms up some nice funk and acetic vinegar round things out. Oak character is surprisingly restrained for a Lost Abbey offering.

T - Taste is quite similar, with a heaping dose of fresh, ripe, sweet cherries that impart a moderate level of tartness as well. Initially the sourness manifests in the finish, but it grows in intensity as the beer warms, creeping into the cherry-dominated mid-palate. Reminds me of fresh Lou Pepe Kriek.

M - Medium bodied, with lower carbonation - I'm guessing all the bubbles ended up in the foam. Texture is a mixture of oak and tannic fruit skin dryness and sticky cherry sweetness. I suspect feel is superior in bottles that don't erupt violently.

D - If pressed, I'd pick 2009 (and possibly 2010) vintages over the Kriek, but this is a delicious and highly enjoyable beer that is worthy of the Cable Car moniker. I'll have to make some time to enjoy another bottle at SF Beer Week.

4.42/5  rDev -2%

Shared by ygtbsm94 at the Sour & Wild Ale Tasting on April 14, 2012. Thanks a lot Brad.

Served side by side with an unlabeled bottle of Cable Car Kriek, apparently more tart than the labeled / distributed version.

Served in my Lost Abbey teku glass.

After the beer gushed everywhere, it appears a beautiful ruby hue with a soft, pink head. Bonus points for the pretty appearance, deductions for the carbonation issues so commonly associated with The Lost Abbey.

Beautiful aroma. Tart cherries and distinctive Lost Abbey funk.

Not especially tart, but a delicate balance of sweet cherry and tart, funky wild ale. Again, very well done.

Light on the palate. Moderate carbonation on the tongue.

Overall, this was quite good. Aside from the gushing, I have no complaints. I'm grateful for the opportunity to try this rare delicacy, not to mention two versions side by side!

4.41/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 3 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bottles at the DC Lambic & Sour Tasting on April 14, 2012. Served in a Lost Abbey Teku.

Big thanks to Brad for acquiring two different versions of this rarity. The first was an unlabeled version that was allegedly dubbed "too sour" and not released. The second was the labeled version available at Toronado. The review that follows is of the "regular" version from Toronado. After that are some notes on the unlabeled version in comparison to that one.

Gusher alert! Holy hell did this thing explode. Even after being stored cold and opened right out of the fridge, as soon as the cage came off the cork started pushing up and beer shot out sideways several feet. Thankfully we were mostly prepared, as had we not been ready I think we would have lost the whole bottle.

After all that, the beer pours a hazy and murky reddish-amber with a small off-white head that recedes pretty quickly, leaving just a bit of sparse lacing behind.

The nose carries heavy notes of cherry with a bit of nutty pit in there, though just a touch. Behind that is a really nice bit of earth and some very light barnyard. The flavor was similar and brought plenty of cherry along with some light funk and moderate acidity.

Body was medium with average carbonation and a dry finish. Really a lot more depth to this one than with the 2010 Cable Car that we had alongside the two Kriek versions.

Compared to the regular version, the "too sour" unlabeled version did not have nearly as much cherry and had quite a bit more acidity. The cherry that was there seemed to be more of a sour cherry, and there weren't nearly as many earthy notes. This reminded me much more of the Cable Car with cherries added, whereas the labeled version seemed like a different beer. Very interesting comparison. Thanks again, Brad.

4.4/5  rDev -2.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Bottle at Toronado SF...flew in just for the tick. Yeah, pretty baller.

A - Huge gusher...glass after glass filled with a pinkish/red foam. After filling about 6 or so glasses, it finally died down. Pours a ruby/cherry red, pinkish/red head, sticky lace with pieces of red cherry chunks on top and on the sides of the glass.

S - Big sour cherries, zesty funky tartness, refreshing, nice and tart and pretty much as a kriek should smell. Close to the excellent krieks across the pond.

T - Straight forward sour cherries, nice acidic sour/tart noes, very fruity. Tastes pretty much like Cable Car with some cherries, which is very enjoyable and what I was hoping for.

M - Light, very zesty carbonation (ie. gusher), tart dry finish.

O - Impressive explosion, impressive beer. I think this one actually went beyond my expectations and I can say it's my favorite Cable Car to date. Hopefully, I'll be able to catch another flight to SF to try again in the future. Recommend!

4.32/5  rDev -4.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Bottle pour at Woodshop 8 held at The Hermosillo in Los Angeles, CA.

Pours a murky reddish-brown with a foamy beige head that settles to wisps of film on top of the beer. Small dots of lace form around the glass on the drink down. Smell is sour and tart with malt, cherry, and wood aromas. Taste is much the same with sweet and sour cherry flavors on the finish. There is a mild amount of woody bitterness on the palate with each sip. This beer has a good level of carbonation with a crisp mouthfeel. Overall, this is a very good beer with a fantastic balance of sweet and sour cherry flavors that make this one a real treat to drink.

4.3/5  rDev -4.7%

Thanks, Shane!

Pours a hazy red color with an off-white head. Excellent cherry aroma to go with the lactic acidity from the base beer. Mild straw and oak, a bit of grass, too. Cherry flavor is very well pronounced. Nice and dry with lemon, lemon zest, and a pleasant tartness. There is a little bit of oak and a mild acetic note on the finish.

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast