Box Set Track #8 - Number Of The Beast - The Lost Abbey

Box Set Track #8 - Number Of The BeastBox Set Track #8 - Number Of The Beast

The Lost Abbey visit their website

Quadrupel (Quad) |  13.70% ABV

We’ve never released a Bourbon Barrel version of our Judgment Day. So we thought it might be interesting to take the base beer for Cuvee de Tomme age in first fill Bourbon Barrels and let mother nature take over. Of course, because this is a Rock and Roll inspired Box Set beer, we couldn’t just leave well enough alone.

Upon sampling the base beer, it became apparent that the raisins used to brew the base beer were going to drive the flavor bus of this beer. The conversations turned to Oatmeal Raisin cookies and the essence of a freshly baked treat. So we added some cinnamon sticks to the barrels and threw in some dried chiles as well.

(Beer added by: MasterSki on 08-16-2012)
4.38/5  rDev +0.7%

4.49/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

3.71/5  rDev -14.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

3.55/5  rDev -18.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

375ml bottle into snifter.

A: Pours a very dark cola brown with a finger of fizzy dark tan head that quickly faded into nothingness.
S: The nose is an interesting mixture of sweet raisin and musty, roasted chilies. I didn’t like the scent at first, still not sure I do, but it starts to grow on you. I get hints of cinnamon, and powdery chocolate.
T: Sticky raisin hits first but is immediately cut by spicy flavors of cinnamon and roasted chili. The chili is mildly spicy and lingers into the aftertaste. The bourbon is sweet and mildly boozy. I get hints of caramel and slight chocolate in there as well.
M: Full body but not a super heavy mouthfeel. The carbonation is fairly soft, but much frothier and soda-like than expected. The mouthfeel is warming with a kiss of booze.
O: Much better once you burn off some of the carbonation. The flavors are definitely love it or hate it. I enjoyed this for what it was, but probably would never go out of my way to drink it again.

4.25/5  rDev -2.3%

A - Minimum white head, dark dark beer, thinly coating lace, but plenty of it.

S - Boozy, cocoa, dark fruit.

T - Taste matches very close to smell, only better. Rich malt is wonderful.

M - Medium to heavy, good carb and balance.

D - HUGE! Way too big to have more than one small one or so.

4.75/5  rDev +9.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I was lucky enough to receive this beer in a trade.
Pours black with a small fizzy head that dies quickly.
Aroma is dark fruit and alcohol.
Flavor is complex. Definitely taste the raisins, cinnamon & chiles as well as molasses.
Mouth feel = alcohol.
There is a lot going on with this beer. It is awesome and complex. A little hot (alcohol), I wish I had a few more so I could lay them down for a year or too.

4.68/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

Opened Dec 2014.

A - Deep cranberry mahogany body with jewel-tone highlights. Loose white head pours a finger high and settles quickly with low retention and lace.

S - Wow, really nice complexity. Cinnamon, tequila anejo, mellow chili, roasted raisins, dark chocolate, fresh nutmeg, vanilla, and soft oak.

T - Coconut macaroons, oatmeal raisin cookies, brown sugar, vanilla, oak, sweet bourbon, and red grapes. Semi-sweet oat and coconut milk finish with a soft residual chili heat.

M - Thick, creamy, smooth.

O - Delicious, complex and well balanced. A heavyweight in the arms race of huge beers.

4.43/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.64/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.41/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.36/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.41/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.86/5  rDev -11.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Big raisin character, with some heat in the finish.

4.56/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

3.94/5  rDev -9.4%

3.96/5  rDev -9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.4/5  rDev +1.1%

4.25/5  rDev -2.3%

Like the beer - I thought the raisin was a little too much. The bourbon flavor is definitely there and a smooth compliment to the rest of the flavors.

4.5/5  rDev +3.4%

Tried this for the second time last night (the first time was a few months ago). Equally as impressed this time around. This is an excellent beer. Lots going on in this one, and all of the flavors that are advertised were present. It didn't seem to me that this beer lost anything at all over the few months that I had it.

The first time I tried it, I wrote on Untappd that I tasted bourbon, raisins and coconut, but not so much cinnamon. Last night, I picked up more spiciness from the chilies. We drank this one for the second beer of the night so my palate was pretty clean when we opened this up. That might be why the spiciness was more apparent. We agreed that the spiciness was a great addition to the beer.

Both times that I tried this, I rated it 4.5 on UT and am sticking with that.

4.44/5  rDev +2.1%