Box Set Track #8 - Number Of The Beast - The Lost Abbey

Box Set Track #8 - Number Of The BeastBox Set Track #8 - Number Of The Beast

The Lost Abbey visit their website

Quadrupel (Quad) |  13.70% ABV

Beer added by: MasterSki on 08-16-2012

We’ve never released a Bourbon Barrel version of our Judgment Day. So we thought it might be interesting to take the base beer for Cuvee de Tomme age in first fill Bourbon Barrels and let mother nature take over. Of course, because this is a Rock and Roll inspired Box Set beer, we couldn’t just leave well enough alone.

Upon sampling the base beer, it became apparent that the raisins used to brew the base beer were going to drive the flavor bus of this beer. The conversations turned to Oatmeal Raisin cookies and the essence of a freshly baked treat. So we added some cinnamon sticks to the barrels and threw in some dried chiles as well.
3.97/5  rDev -8.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.4/5  rDev +0.9%

4.25/5  rDev -2.5%

Like the beer - I thought the raisin was a little too much. The bourbon flavor is definitely there and a smooth compliment to the rest of the flavors.

4.5/5  rDev +3.2%

Tried this for the second time last night (the first time was a few months ago). Equally as impressed this time around. This is an excellent beer. Lots going on in this one, and all of the flavors that are advertised were present. It didn't seem to me that this beer lost anything at all over the few months that I had it.

The first time I tried it, I wrote on Untappd that I tasted bourbon, raisins and coconut, but not so much cinnamon. Last night, I picked up more spiciness from the chilies. We drank this one for the second beer of the night so my palate was pretty clean when we opened this up. That might be why the spiciness was more apparent. We agreed that the spiciness was a great addition to the beer.

Both times that I tried this, I rated it 4.5 on UT and am sticking with that.

4.44/5  rDev +1.8%

4.2/5  rDev -3.7%

4.24/5  rDev -2.8%

4.94/5  rDev +13.3%

Wow. Mind-blowing stuff. Take stickee monkee and hunahpu and put them together and you have this bad boy.

4.08/5  rDev -6.4%

4.25/5  rDev -2.5%

Great overall flavor. Not getting any chili heat. Maybe a chili sweetness? Whatever the hell this beer is supposed to be it's delicious.

4.15/5  rDev -4.8%