Eastern Standard IPA - Peekskill Brewery

Eastern Standard IPA
No picture uploaded.

Peekskill Brewery visit their website
New York, United States

Another true classic, our IPA holds nothing back. It’s loaded with Simcoe and Citra hops, grown for us at Carpenter Ranches in Granger, WA.

(Beer added by: merc7186 on 07-11-2012)

4.88/5  rDev +17.6%

4.83/5  rDev +16.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

EDITED 5-28-2013

Had to come back to this review as I don't know what happened with the Grumbler fill I'd had last month, but whatever it was -- old keg, dirty tap lines, dirty grumbler, improper grumbler filling procedure, low carbonation -- this beer was not what it was supposed to be.

As an aside, it's staggering how many things can happen to a beer that are out of the brewer's hands once it leaves the brewery.

Anyway, I had Eastern Standard on tap at both Beer Authority and Rattle N Hum this past weekend, and it was phenomenal -- substantially closer to the Citra bomb I had at the Brewpub last fall. -- and also nothing like the Alpha King-style beer I thought I was drinking last month. If the keg I'd gotten my grumbler fill from was indeed old, it's pretty crazy to think that Eastern Standard goes from basically tasting like Zombie Dust when fresh to Alpha King after the intense hop aroma and flavor has muted, but that seems to be what I experienced.

All in all, I would rank this beer up there with Barrier's Money as among the top IPAs being brewed in New York State right now.

Original Review, 3.8 out of 5
Originally had Eastern Standard last October at the old PB brewpub; bought a Grumbler fill yesterday, and so it was my second time having it. Both aroma and color were substantially different than I'd remembered.

Appearance: Deep amber, very dark for an IPA. Color is almost a dead ringer for Alpha King.

Smell: Surprised to see so many note citrus flavors; I got almost none. Again, nose reminded me of Alpha King.

Taste: Not to beat a dead horse here, but if you've never had Alpha King, Peekskill's Eastern Standard is your east coast version of it. Hop flavor fairly subdued for an IPA, drinks considerably more like a hopped-up amber -- think Nugget Nectar.

Mouthfeel: Full-bodied for an IPA

Overall: Just as Three Floyds purposely mislabels Alpha King an APA when it is really an IPA, I'm not sure Eastern Standard is an IPA as much as an Amber or Imperial Amber. It's a very good beer, but I wouldn't come in expecting a classic citrusy hop bomb.

4.8/5  rDev +15.7%

4.76/5  rDev +14.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Served on tap at the brewery.

A: A golden orange with an inch of head

S: Citrus, some floral, grapefruit orange. Hops, hops and hops. I can't believe this is brewed in NY.

T: The taste pretty much follows up the smell. A citrus delight.

M: Carbonation is moderate

O: An absolute hop bomb. Easily one of the best IPAs I have ever had. This is right up there with the best of them. It's such a hop monster it seems more like a double.

4.72/5  rDev +13.7%

4.63/5  rDev +11.6%

I had this at Alewife in LIC, NY.

The beer pours in a clear light orange gold color with a slight head.

The aroma is the highlight of this beer. For an IPA, it just smacks your face with so much hops. There's huge peach, floral aroma, citrus, tropical fruits. It's so amazing how this beer smells. One of the best IPA aromas.

The flavor follows with sweet tropical fruit, peach. There's some caramel malt that helps complete this beer.

Then there's a huge longing grapefruit finish.

This was a surprisingly impressive beer. Despite it being only on tap mostly in NY, I love this beer. I wish it was around more.

4.51/5  rDev +8.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Man Peekskill Brewery really kicking it up! Great IPA that pours clear and golden - looks a lot thinner than it tastes/smells. Nose is full of floral hops right away. Taste really surprises - packed with hops from the first sip. Rides the line b/w bitterness and sweetness perfectly. Malt flavors throughout along with complex hops.

Great addition to the PB lineup - looks like they are trying for broad distribution which is great news for all us hopheads! Great addition to the burgeoning Hudson Valley beer scene

Eastern Standard IPA from Peekskill Brewery