Blackberry Porter - Granite City Food & Brewery

1 Rating

pDev: 0%
Granite City Food & Brewery visit their website
United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  ABV ?

(Beer added by: BuckeyeNation on 05-07-2005)
2.6/5  rDev 0%

Strong tea brown with black cherry highlights at the bottom edge and along the sides of the glass. I got the sense that no light made it through the center of the beer, but I didn't want to be too conspicuous and hold it up to the window in the middle of the lunchtime crush. A skimpy light tan head fell within minutes to thin, milky film. What little lace made it to the glass was likewise thin and milky.

What can I possibly say about a nose that was virtually absent? I might have been able to say 'dark beer' if blindfolded, but that's far from a certainty. There was no porter character and no berry essence; no anything really. The lack of nastiness is the only thing keeping it from dropping lower than the above score.

Blackberry Porter was marginally better in the mouth. I appreciated very little in the way of dark malt, but there was some amount of dark caramel flavor that made it recognizable as dark beer. On the plus side, the berry flavor was just about right in terms of strength. It seemed more like blueberry than blackberry though. Since I like both berries, that wasn't a problem.

The biggest problem with this beer, other than the too mild flavor, was the body/mouthfeel. It was way too light and way too carbonated. The pathetic lack of malt resulted in a thin, watery mouthfeel and an almost astringently bitter, dry finish. A little malty sweetness would have been most welcome. The fizzy, buzzy mouthfeel only contributed to the impression of a poorly brewed beer.

Blueberry... er ... Blackberry Porter is, unfortunately, representative of Granite City beer in my experience. I have no doubt that I could top this effort (and most of what I drink from these guys) after spending an hour or two with 'Home Brewing For Dummies'. A berry porter is a good idea, but it requires much more than the half-assed beer that I drank about an hour ago.

BuckeyeNation, May 07, 2005
Blackberry Porter from Granite City Food & Brewery
- out of 100 based on 1 ratings.