Poor Richard's Ale - Granite City Food & Brewery

No picture uploaded.

Granite City Food & Brewery visit their website
United States

Old Ale |  ABV ?

(Beer added by: RBorsato on 02-10-2006)
Reviews by swid:
3.45/5  rDev +1.8%

Sampled at the Lincoln location.

The Granite City variant of Poor Richard's Ale poured a dark amber/light brown color into my pint glass. Atop the slighty hazy liquid sits a 1/4", off-white head; after a couple minutes, it collapses in upon itself. Low carbonation, moderate lacing. The smell is quite weak overall. It's generically sweet, with a molasses aroma being most noticeable. There's a slight hint of pine/floral hops.

The taste is predominantly sweet; in fact, it's fairly reminiscent of drinking some type of syrup. (Which, of course, is expected of any 18th century beer.) Once again, the molasses and grains dominate the sweetness. A small amount of bitterness is present, in the form of an herbal hop bitterness. The mouthfeel is full, thick, and syrupy; this beer finishes sweet, with a lingering floral hop bitterness.

Overall, an enjoyable beer, albeit a fairly generic one. I don't know if this would be a beer that Mr. Franklin would have knocked back himself, but it's a reasonable rendition of that style 300 years later.

swid, Jan 18, 2006
4.33/5  rDev +27.7%

Tasted On-Tap 01/17/06 at the Cedar Rapids, IA location. Brewed specially for Ben Franklin's 300th Birthday I believe.

A nice brownish color with a nice tan head and decent carbonation. A nice malty aroma with some light chocolate and molassas character. Maltiness dominates in the way that it smells. Very nice and a bit sweet but fairly balanced and not overly sweet at all. Medium bodied and smooth -- easy drinking.

A very nice Old Ale ... was worthy of having more than once. :-)

RBorsato, Feb 10, 2006
3.08/5  rDev -9.1%

Appearance: Dark brown body, not a whole lot of head.

Smell: Sweet but rather muted, this beer was served too cold to get much, but it was rather sweet.

Taste: The waitress warned me about the bitterness of this beer, even comparing it to Granite City's IPA. Not so. Hops weere muted, I only got a sweet, then sour flavor. Not very good.

I wouldn't recommend this beer at all. I am glad brewing processes have evolved as much as they have in the past 300 years.

TastyTaste, Feb 01, 2006
2.7/5  rDev -20.4%

"Be civil to all; sociable to many; familiar with few; friend to one; enemy to none."

--Ben Franklin

Translucent dark bronze-brown with generous orange highlights and virtually no head. By the time I got my change back, the razor-thin layer (of an unremembered color) that was present on top of the beer when it was placed in front of me was gone. Needless to say, that starting point resulted in a lace-free glass. Beer: okay. Head: none.

The nose was horrendously underpowered. I'm glad I asked the bartender what style the beer was prior to ordering because I doubted whether I'd be able to tell by looking, smelling and tasting. And I was right. The fact that this beer is supposed to be a Scotch ale proves that the Granite City suits/brewers have a sense of humor. Toasted malt and... nothing else.

I might have agreed with Scottish ale, but Poor Richard's Ale was a poor example of the style even at that. It was waaay undermalted with no trace of sweetness and very little body. The dominant flavors were weak, bitter, stale coffee grounds and a smidgen of unsweetened chocolate. No sourness, no peat, no smoke, no nothing that would lead me to believe that it was a Scottish (sorry, Scotch) ale, except for a toasted, dark caramel extract-like flavor.

As is often the case, a woeful lack of barley malt was the fatal flaw that just could not be overcome. Bitter and harsh were not characteristics that made me want to keep drinking; unless that bitterness had been from hops, which were absent as far as I could tell. The mouthfeel was thin and the carbonation was big-bubbled and fizzy.

The search continues for passable beer from my local Granite City. Some of the food smelled good and made me wish that I had ordered that instead of this beer. I feel sorry for poor, poor Richard if he feels obligated to drink the beer named in his honor.

BuckeyeNation, Jan 16, 2006
Poor Richard's Ale from Granite City Food & Brewery
- out of 100 based on 4 ratings.