Yuengling Summer Wheat - Yuengling Brewery

Availability: Summer

Beer added by: WVbeergeek on 04-03-2014

Ratings: 521 | Reviews: 96
3.83/5  rDev +7.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Enjoying on tap at Foo Fighters concert. Solid Hefeweizen - banana and clove smell and taste.

4.72/5  rDev +32.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

I was not originally a fan of Weizen style beers. After having 3 bottles of this (on 3 separate occasions) I have grown to like it. Very refreshing, hint of cloves.

3.6/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Drank from a bottle as part of a sixer purchased at Subs and suds in Indiana, PA.
Can't accurately judge look because it was drank from a bottle.
Smell is that of a typical hefeweizen; however I wish the smell was a bit more powerful.
Tastes of banana and some uplifting notes.
Feels smooth on the mouth with no presence of an aftertaste
Overall, it's a drink I would recommend, especially since you can purchase a sixer for $7.99. Great choice for a seasonal from Yuengling.

4.68/5  rDev +31.1%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a weizen glass

L - Clear amber with a quick 'n' thick foam dome; not cloudy at all

S - banana and clove yeast aroma, really on-par with hefeweizens

T - matches the aroma up front then I get almost a saison taste afterwards (wow!)

F - crisp and clean; not a whole lot of carbonation buzz

O - Very well-made and affordable beer. Perfect for the hot summer days in Pennsylvania. Yuengling often gets a knack out here for being cheap, but they make great, affordable beers and that's what they are good at. Be a good Pennsylvanian and give it a try!

4.63/5  rDev +29.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

You might laugh at my score, but I truly believe this might be one of the best, true to traditional style German Weizen's ever brewed on US soil! Yes I said it, one of the best. I have been drinking Weizen's since the 1980's and have been to Germany 3 times, so I know what Hefe Weizen's are supposed to taste, look, smell and feel like. I have also drank my share of US versions and none stand up. If you are still laughing then at least do this, buy a 6 pack (they are cheep at about $6 to $8 a 6er). Do a blind test with a few of your favorite Weizen's and then you will see what I'm talking about.

Look: poured into Weizen glass, 7 finger foamy white head that soon forms a mound, then settles with nice lacing. Clear straw yellow color.
Smell: floral, Wheat, yeasty, fruity.
Taste: out of this world! Very wheaty and light bodied with hints of banana & vanilla. Almost no aftertaste.
Feel: like a true German Weizen should.
Overall: One of the best brewed in America.

3.51/5  rDev -1.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

P: 12oz bottle into a pint glass.

A: A murky dark gold with a two finger white head. No lacing to speak of.

S: Banana and clove and a little hay or grass. Some pepperiness sneaks in too. Bitterness is low.

T: A light and sweet malt backbone with clove, banana and bubblegum flavors.

M: Light body, moderate carbonation. Pretty refreshing to drink.

O: Yuengling was a stepping stone to craft beer for me. While I'm no longer a big fan of their Lager, this Summer Wheat seems to hit all of the right notes for a beer that's significantly cheaper that it's competition. I'd happy buy a case of this for a summer cookout.

3.5/5  rDev -2%

BANANAS. That shit is bananas.

Yuengling Summer Wheat Hefeweizen
ABV: this is differs depending on which website you are on, some say 4.5, some 4.6, some 4.7. The Yuengling website says 4.6, so I will go with that one. It does not list the IBU's, I will guess 20, or something low.

I had this in a 12 ounce bottle at home, here is what I got:

appearance:
Cloudy/hazy, dark yellow, can't see through. Carbonation is not alot of activity with the bubbles. There is a light white head that disapates to a thin 1 cm. head quickly. Some lacing was noticed.
Smell: Banana, biscuit, bubblegum, slightly sweet citrus fruit.
Flavor pallette: The taste matches the smell while some things stand out more than others. Wheat, biscuit, banana, citrus. Aftertaste has the taste of bananas and there is not a heavy alcohol taste.
Moulthfeel: There is a bit of substance to the moulthfeel. It does not feel watery to me.
Overall: Yuengling lager was my go to in college because it had a darker appearance than the other mass marketed beers and I liked it. I was not yet heavy into craft beers at that point and I didn't realize that there are much better beers to drink. It always had this skunky aftertaste and I just thought, well, that's beer for you. This is why it was really surprising that they really went for it with this German style wheat beer. I had low expectations because of the price and history of the beer company. At first I was like, this is not a bad hefewiezen. Then, I had it a second time and I liked it even more. It just keeps getting better everytime I drink it. It is also very consistenty good which is something to be said in this new world of craft beers. I get it now when it comes in season because it is a cheap beer that drinks like a good craft beer. If you are a fan of wheat beers I recommend it. I believe that good beers don't have to be expensive. Thank goodness some other people do as well.

3.91/5  rDev +9.5%

This one pours a light, clear orange, with a 1.5 inch head, and a little bit of lacing.

This one smells pretty legit- banana, clove, and some white pepper. Smells yeasty and pretty delicious.

I'm fairly impressed by how well Yuengling nailed a hefeweizen. There's some interesting peppery bitterness here, can't tell if it's from hops or the yeast, along with the requisite banana and clove flavor that just scream hefeweizen. It's really quite tasty.

This is slightly thin bodied, and just the tiniest bit watery, keeping it from being a really, really good hefeweizen. The flavors are all there, in the right ratios, though- it's just the mouthfeel that's a little lacking.

I am really impressed with this one- it's honestly one of the best US made hefeweizens I've had.

3.41/5  rDev -4.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

My first Hefeweizen. I'm more of a stout fan, but this isn't bad. Matter of fact, it's a pretty smooth, easy to drink beer. Not big on flavors, but goes well with most foods. The wheat, like in some whiskies helps smooth out the taste for sure. Fans of Maker's or Bernheim should try this beer.

3.41/5  rDev -4.5%

It is a decent summer beer. With more and more "summer" beers being made, you can easily find one with more depth of flavor. You could also choose one that is noticeably lower quality. Yuengling = good quality beer, and that is what you get with this one.

3.24/5  rDev -9.2%

decent beer, love yuengling as a brewery this beer doesn't disappoint.

3.68/5  rDev +3.1%

A much appreciated, unusual offering from the Pennsylvania macro-brewer. Ripe banana and clove aroma from the requisite fruity esters that only the Bavarian-style ale yeast can deliver. Sweet malt, rich banana and clove flavor as you expect and hope for, if you are a fan of this style like I am. Unfortunately, for me there is a short burst of bitter in the finish, enough to decimate the rich pleasant flavor. I tried this head to head against two other similar PA brewed hefeweizens, Troegs Dreamweaver and Straub Straubweizen. Overall, I prefer the Straub and Troegs over this one due to the somewhat disappointing bitter notes. Still, I would likely pick up another case next year, considering the low price, if I was unable to find the Straubweizen.

3.66/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

First time I had this the first year it was released...crap crap crap. 2 years later I decided to revisit this since it was on special at a bar that I frequent. I wa a super impressed with the tweaking on this brew. Very reminiscent of a classic German Hefeweizen. Hints of clove, banana, and esters where prevevelent. Definitely give this brew a second look if you haven't had it before and especially if you have had it and thought it was garbage. It is now a great representation of the style!

Cheers!
Wade

2.75/5  rDev -23%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Was not impressed with this beer.

4.57/5  rDev +28%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Yuengling Summer Wheat - By far the best beer, all around, I have had in the longest of times. This wheat beer glows in the glass - glows - it's amazing. The hints of citrusy sweetness mixed with the wheat and hops is simply perfect. The brew has this thick, rich feel in your mouth - at just the right amount of carbonation, truly perfect in my book. I really enjoyed the this Yuengling, so much so, I had to try two just to make sure I was tasting what I was tasting. Sometimes you get some of the best surprises in life from the most unsuspecting of place - it's what makes life (and beer tasting) worth doing!

2.28/5  rDev -36.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2

Meh Meh Meh meh meh

1.84/5  rDev -48.5%

Not really a hefe fan, but do like Yuengling, so gave it a go: Seemed to have the prerequisite features: banana, bubblegum(on 1st sip), clove, etc., but just not my cup of tea overall. Perhaps if appropriately paired with the right food, it might be worth a revisit or perhaps doing the lemon twist thing that some have suggested with Hefes. Not something I would ever purchase again.

1.63/5  rDev -54.3%

Hate the initial taste. Just not my type of beer

3.71/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

From the second of two bottles I got in the mail from @tommyguz earlier this month. Can't find a bottling date, but I assume it's pretty fresh considering that the really hot summery weather just got here and the summer seasonal beers tend to be released just a month or so before that time of year.

You can tell at a glance that this is a very different sort of beer from every other Yuengling that I've had -- it's not just "a little cloudy" but incredibly cloudy, blocking almost all light from my phone if I shine it through the thickest part of the glass (and only lets a vague light outline through in the thinner part -- no reading your phone through the beer here.) It's a dark yellow/slightly orange-ish in color, and the head is white and foams up pretty big if you pour quickly. Which seems to be a good idea--this beer seemed almost TOO fizzy in the mouth the first time I had it, but pouring a bit quicker and letting it foam up seems to have made the immense fizz die down a bit.

The smell is, again, very different from other Yuengling beers. There's a bit of an almost banana-like thing, and some other yeasty, almost-bready funkiness. None of "hair salon smell" that I pick up (to one degree or another) in other Yuengling beers I've tried. The funkiness in the smell is a bit weird at times, but not bad, just odd.

Taste is (and here's the only bit that seems to fall into the pattern I've noticed with other Yuengling beers) better than the smell for sure. There's the banana-like flavor, except it's not *quite* banana, it sort of borders on a couple other things that I can't quite put a name to. There is a definite "banana candy" sort of thing present in the taste when I burp, though. There's also a breadiness that usually blends in with the banana-like flavor, but hangs around a bit longer. There's even a faint bit of something spicy blending with this breadiness. Overall, this is pretty good, and seems especially good in the glass in front of me now (I wonder if pouring faster and letting the head foam up more had an impact? I know it seems to have made a difference in a few other beers I've had in the past.)

The mouthfeel seems to vary drastically depending on how the beer is poured. On a much slower pour the first time, it was incredibly fizzy, and I think that made a (mostly negative) impact on the beer. This time I poured a bit quicker and let a bigger head of foam form, and the beer's mouthfeel is so different... much smoother, the fizziness doesn't stand out as "millions of prickly little bubbles in my mouth" like it did before. The fizziness is clearly still there (this makes me burp more than any other beer I've had before it) but it's "tamed" a bit in this glass, so I'm not feeling it as much. I really like it this way.

Overall, this is a really nice beer (especially on a warm night when you come home worn out and sweaty from work and then dancing...) and my favorite from Yuengling so far, snatching that title away from the Yuengling Bock that held it for just a few days. It's very different from their other beers (at least those I've had), but in a good way -- it's always nice when breweries have some variety in their lineup. Apparently it was just introduced last summer; here's hoping it sticks around for many summers to come (and that their new winter seasonal coming up is good, too!) I'll have to grab more of this in the near future if I can find a place nearby that stocks it.

3.71/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Smooth, nice head,some lacing. I don't really detect any"banana " notes...slightly citrus....overall a good Weizen!

4.31/5  rDev +20.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured from 12 oz. bottle to pilsner glass.

A: Cloudy, deep yellow, with two fingers of frothy white head that stick around for a while.
S: Lot of banana, bubble gum, warm doughnut-like bread, allspice, nutmeg, and a faint rubbery smell.
T: Taste follows the nose, with banana bread, and a slight tart taste, maybe a little citrus notes. Finishes nice. I could use a bit more sweetness on the front half of the taste.
M: A little watery and slightly creamy. Low carbonation.
O: A nice, tasty Hefeweizen, and a good representation of the style. This is a great summer picnic beer. Very thirst quenching. Fantastic price, only $7 for a six pack. Will probably buy this all summer long.

3.08/5  rDev -13.7%

12 oz bottle. Pours hazy golden with long lasting, foamy, white head and nice lacing. Aroma is of wheat malt, spices and bananas. Body is light and smooth. Taste is similar to aroma. Finish is long and fruity. Not bad for Yuengling.

4.3/5  rDev +20.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Hands down best hefe for price point

4.22/5  rDev +18.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

As a Hefeweizen lover, I saw this on the shelf and was so apprehensive that I just had to pick it up.
Poured into a pint glass from a 12 oz. brown glass bottle.

A: A nice hazy orange-tan, a little anemic around the edges. Pours a somewhat generous ~2 finger creamy white head. I did not get a significant amount of lacing.

S: I get a good amount of vanilla, some ripe banana, and tons of orange and lemon. But not the peel, more like the juice. The weakest part of this brew. I think it smells more like a wit.

T: By the second sip I had decided that Yuengling absolutely nailed it. Up front: this is not a banana bomb. It's actually quite hard for me to discern the banana here. What I do get is a magnificent round, floral bubble-gum flavor. Some different esters at play here. On the tail end comes the spicy phenols, more clove than band-aid. Sweetness is very appropriate for the style, and there's a touch of well appreciated astringency on the tail end. The dry finish is absolutely something that most American Hefes miss! As the beer warms the spiciness on the finish turns into a degree of bitterness which I would consider off-style. This is really the only fault I can find in the taste.

M: Creamy and prickly in all the right places. The mouthfeel is absolutely right for a hefeweizen.

O: Yuengling surprised me with this uncharacteristic offering. It's a really good American Hefeweizen. The lack of banana and degree of bitterness definitely put this into the American camp, but among those peers I think it competes really well. Almost as good as Sierra Nevada's Kellerweis. If you like Hefes, pick this up, drink it cold. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Yuengling Summer Wheat from Yuengling Brewery