Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Yuengling Summer Wheat - Yuengling Brewery

Beer added by: WVbeergeek on 04-03-2014

Reviews by Bone53:
3.88/5  rDev +4.3%

Poured from a bottle into a tulip glass at around 40°F

Appearance: Hazy orange golden color. An aggressive pour resulted in a frothy two finger off white head. As with all Yuengling beers I've had, the appearance is appealing.

Smell: Banana bread, spices (cloves), citrus. On the sweet side

Taste: Cloves is prominent with banana and citrus undertones. I also pick up bubble gum towards the end and throughout the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Light with a dry and slight bitter finish. Very drinkable, but could be smoother

Overall: Not my style, but as with other Yuengling beers, this is WAY better than Shock Top or other similarly priced wheat beers. Definitely recommended, because you shouldn't have to pay $10 or more for a six pack of a good American wheat beer. You cannot beat it for the price. Probably my favorite Yuengling beer along with the Traditional. I will be enjoying my fair share of this this summer. Cheers!

4.3/5  rDev +15.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Hands down best hefe for price point

3.74/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

12oz brown bottle, sample from the brewery.

A bit darker that I anticipated but the hazed amber hue and the dense froth look great. Banana bread and mild clove in the nose ... more banana with some mild esters. Very smooth, slightly chewing malt body. Grassy, banana taffy, bready, hint of yeast, mildly estery. Hits all of the right points for a beer to be a German Wheat, drinkable but not a refreshing as its counterparts.

4.22/5  rDev +13.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

As a Hefeweizen lover, I saw this on the shelf and was so apprehensive that I just had to pick it up.
Poured into a pint glass from a 12 oz. brown glass bottle.

A: A nice hazy orange-tan, a little anemic around the edges. Pours a somewhat generous ~2 finger creamy white head. I did not get a significant amount of lacing.

S: I get a good amount of vanilla, some ripe banana, and tons of orange and lemon. But not the peel, more like the juice. The weakest part of this brew. I think it smells more like a wit.

T: By the second sip I had decided that Yuengling absolutely nailed it. Up front: this is not a banana bomb. It's actually quite hard for me to discern the banana here. What I do get is a magnificent round, floral bubble-gum flavor. Some different esters at play here. On the tail end comes the spicy phenols, more clove than band-aid. Sweetness is very appropriate for the style, and there's a touch of well appreciated astringency on the tail end. The dry finish is absolutely something that most American Hefes miss! As the beer warms the spiciness on the finish turns into a degree of bitterness which I would consider off-style. This is really the only fault I can find in the taste.

M: Creamy and prickly in all the right places. The mouthfeel is absolutely right for a hefeweizen.

O: Yuengling surprised me with this uncharacteristic offering. It's a really good American Hefeweizen. The lack of banana and degree of bitterness definitely put this into the American camp, but among those peers I think it competes really well. Almost as good as Sierra Nevada's Kellerweis. If you like Hefes, pick this up, drink it cold. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

3.68/5  rDev -1.1%

A much appreciated, unusual offering from the Pennsylvania macro-brewer. Ripe banana and clove aroma from the requisite fruity esters that only the Bavarian-style ale yeast can deliver. Sweet malt, rich banana and clove flavor as you expect and hope for, if you are a fan of this style like I am. Unfortunately, for me there is a short burst of bitter in the finish, enough to decimate the rich pleasant flavor. I tried this head to head against two other similar PA brewed hefeweizens, Troegs Dreamweaver and Straub Straubweizen. Overall, I prefer the Straub and Troegs over this one due to the somewhat disappointing bitter notes. Still, I would likely pick up another case next year, considering the low price, if I was unable to find the Straubweizen.

Update: Having a hard time finishing a case of this so I decided to try mixing with other wheat beers to dilute the intense, somewhat offensive, clove taste. Mixing a 12 ounce bottle with 4-12 ounces of a good bavarian dunkelweizen proved the best solution. Franziskaner dunkelweizen worked well for me since I have a keg available. The rich caramel together with the banana and clove works out very well.

4.43/5  rDev +19.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

New summer brew from Yuengling done in a traditional German style...hefeweizen.

Here's their description: Yuengling® Summer Wheat is carefully brewed with a combination of wheat and barley malts. Hallertau hops and Bavarian-style top fermenting yeast deliver a thick, creamy head with overtones of banana and clove esters. This authentic German Weizen style beer, with a slight hazy appearance, concludes with a crisp finish.

I did some digging it also weighs in at 3.59% ABW or about 4.5% ABV, and about 11 IBUs. The type of beer meant for the summer time consumption. Pours a hazy amber orange hue much deep in color than some of the other popular summer time wheats available it looks more like Schneider Original Wiesse . Big creamy textured white head, fine speckled lacing left behind.

The aromatics explode with banana and clove, mild spicy notes hints of citrus peel but it's all yeast, barley, and hops to create an authentic wheat beer. What's next for Yuengling if they are able to execute a hefeweizen this well, I can't wait to see more traditional styles. Liquid bread, more fruit explosion mild spice very aromatic.

Flavor wise, fresh baked bread, spicy yeast notes more banana and clove a hint of vanilla in the backend...with bright citric wheat additions. I love everything about this brew so far. Technically they couldn't have done any better their other seasonal releases like the Oktoberfest and the Bock beer leave a lot to be desired, they're always adding the caramel coloring to their beer. This stuff tastes like all grain brewing!!!

Mouthfeel has that German feel with the effervescent carbonation pairs great with grilled chicken or brats or really anything off the girl. It makes me want to go out and grab some more and pair it with some grilled mahi mahi or tuna steaks tonight!!! Light to medium bodied all of the grain gives it great texture perfect level of acidity makes you want to gulp this one down. It goes with out saying this is bottle conditioned and unfiltered in all it's glory be sure to enjoy and swirl your bottle to get every last drop of authentic hefeweizen yeast into your glass!

Overall, I think I said it throughout this review I love this beer, some people think hefeweizen is for chicks, screw that this is man beer and it's damn drinkable and flavorful. Best part, are you ready? It retails for about 7 bucks or under, forget about the stale German imports this summer and crush as much of this stuff at the lake, at a concert, or in a boat as you can while the getting is good.

3.85/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Yuengling Summer Wheat
12 oz. brown bottle

Well I have to give Yuengling credit for actually making a Bavarian style weizen instead of some lemony or basic-American wheat. I'm really impressed. Just to bring in another yeast strain is something, especially when they didn't really have to - they pretty much could have done anything they'd wanted and they'd still have seen sales increase.

As to the beer, it's a pretty decent version - without looking at the label I immediately knew what it was intended to be. I could go back and forth comparing it to other offerings (from Germany and elsewhere) but I don't think that's necessary. There are 'lighter' versions of the style available in/from Germany, and I'm referring to a range: body, color, malt content, and depth of yeast character. I would put this somewhere in there, but that's not to say it's "not to style", because it is. It's good! In fact, if it has a fault I'd say that it could have better head retention and lacing; everything else is just preference.

Overall it's a decent weizen. If it was placed side-by-side in a blind tasting against some of the better known and more popular German versions you'd clearly note a difference, but against some or the lesser known and smaller breweries you might not... and that says something! I was pleasantly surprised, and if you're a fan of the style you owe it to yourself to at least try it.

4.57/5  rDev +22.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Yuengling Summer Wheat - By far the best beer, all around, I have had in the longest of times. This wheat beer glows in the glass - glows - it's amazing. The hints of citrusy sweetness mixed with the wheat and hops is simply perfect. The brew has this thick, rich feel in your mouth - at just the right amount of carbonation, truly perfect in my book. I really enjoyed the this Yuengling, so much so, I had to try two just to make sure I was tasting what I was tasting. Sometimes you get some of the best surprises in life from the most unsuspecting of place - it's what makes life (and beer tasting) worth doing!

3.8/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a deep gold color, with a thin white head that fades quickly and leaves a thin lace on the glass.

S: The aroma contains bananas, wheat, light caramelized malts and touches of hops and citrus.

T: The taste starts out bready with flavors of wheat and a hearty but not too heavy malt character. Then some sweet flavors of bananas, caramel and citrus come in. The hops presence is very mild but brings some balance. The after-taste is slightly bready and slightly sweet.

M: Crisp and smooth, light-to-medium body, medium carbonation, finish is slightly sticky.

O: Tasty, goes down very easily, not too filling, very mild kick, good representation of style, this is a decent lawnmower beer to pound down for a long time.

4.6/5  rDev +23.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 4.25

Man, just when you think that an old dog cannot be taught new tricks, America's Oldest Brewery reaches into their bag and pulls out a hefeweizen!

I did an agitation of the beer while still in the bottle before beginning my aggro pour and I still had some lees in the bottom when finished. I got about a finger of tawny head with moderate retention from the pour. Color was a cloudy orangish-amber (SRM = > 7, < 9). Nose had the traditional bubble gum and banana esters, but the clove was really pronounced. Yay! This is usually achieved by fermenting under lager conditions, but I was assure that such was not the case. Call it serendipity, then, but I am all for it. The mouthfeel was a little thin, but it was the taste that I was really after. Sure, it evinced banana and bubble gum, but clove was the dominant flavor. I remember, as a kid, Clove Life Savers and this was quite reminiscent of them. Finish was semi-dry, refreshing and a perfect choice for a summer's day. I just wish that they would put it in CANs, but that is not forthcoming.

look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Poured chilled from a 12oz into a weizen glass, thanks to Stakem for sharing a bottle from his fresh case -cheers!
A - the color is dark golden with thick haze with snow white rocky head with two finger depth and average bead, but excellent lace and retention. The smell has a slight dried fruit ester from the yeast with nice wheat maltiness in the nose. The feel is fruit with moderate carbonation and light yeast spice with mostly dry finish... it could be more carbonated, but is smooth.

The flavor is not overly yeasty, yet still has a faint resemblance to a weizen with mild ripe banana essence with subtle clove spice accent and malt which comes and goes toward a slightly hoppy finish which is nice but unexpected. I guess this is a shift in the Yuengling M.O. since I can't recall a texture or taste of hops in their products, but it is welcome I would not call this a very good Hefeweizen, however it is a pretty drinkable beer so why not - cheers to Yuengling for a very drinkable wheat.

2.75/5  rDev -26.1%

4.25/5  rDev +14.2%

3.6/5  rDev -3.2%

3.88/5  rDev +4.3%

1.75/5  rDev -53%

3.75/5  rDev +0.8%

3.74/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.25/5  rDev -12.6%

3.65/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

A good summer beer. Best served ice cold with a slice of orange. It is wheaty and has a bubble gum and banana flavor. Sometimes it's a little fruity tasting. Best when served ice cold in a frosted goblet with orange slices at the ready. A good budget craft beer, and a fine lawnmower beer.

Yuengling Summer Wheat from Yuengling Brewery