Yuengling Summer Wheat - Yuengling Brewery

Pennsylvania, United States

Hefeweizen |  4.50% ABV

Availability: Summer

Beer added by: WVbeergeek on 04-03-2014

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Yuengling Summer Wheat Alström Bros

Yuengling Summer Wheat Hefeweizen
ABV: this is differs depending on which website you are on, some say 4.5, some 4.6, some 4.7. The Yuengling website says 4.6, so I will go with that one. It does not list the IBU's, I will guess 20, or something low.

I had this in a 12 ounce bottle at home, here is what I got:

appearance:
Cloudy/hazy, dark yellow, can't see through. Carbonation is not alot of activity with the bubbles. There is a light white head that disapates to a thin 1 cm. head quickly. Some lacing was noticed.
Smell: Banana, biscuit, bubblegum, slightly sweet citrus fruit.
Flavor pallette: The taste matches the smell while some things stand out more than others. Wheat, biscuit, banana, citrus. Aftertaste has the taste of bananas and there is not a heavy alcohol taste.
Moulthfeel: There is a bit of substance to the moulthfeel. It does not feel watery to me.
Overall: Yuengling lager was my go to in college because it had a darker appearance than the other mass marketed beers and I liked it. I was not yet heavy into craft beers at that point and I didn't realize that there are much better beers to drink. It always had this skunky aftertaste and I just thought, well, that's beer for you. This is why it was really surprising that they really went for it with this German style wheat beer. I had low expectations because of the price and history of the beer company. At first I was like, this is not a bad hefewiezen. Then, I had it a second time and I liked it even more. It just keeps getting better everytime I drink it. It is also very consistenty good which is something to be said in this new world of craft beers. I get it now when it comes in season because it is a cheap beer that drinks like a good craft beer. If you are a fan of wheat beers I recommend it. I believe that good beers don't have to be expensive. Thank goodness some other people do as well. (1,913 characters)

4.72/5  rDev +24.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

I was not originally a fan of Weizen style beers. After having 3 bottles of this (on 3 separate occasions) I have grown to like it. Very refreshing, hint of cloves. (164 characters)

4.68/5  rDev +23.5%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a weizen glass

L - Clear amber with a quick 'n' thick foam dome; not cloudy at all

S - banana and clove yeast aroma, really on-par with hefeweizens

T - matches the aroma up front then I get almost a saison taste afterwards (wow!)

F - crisp and clean; not a whole lot of carbonation buzz

O - Very well-made and affordable beer. Perfect for the hot summer days in Pennsylvania. Yuengling often gets a knack out here for being cheap, but they make great, affordable beers and that's what they are good at. Be a good Pennsylvanian and give it a try! (584 characters)

4.66/5  rDev +23%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.75

OK....To be Honest and Fair,I am somewhat of a big time fan of "Yuengling's" beers overall,their Bock may be a bit left of center and has a bit of a Grapefruit note...which is VERY Strange for a "Bock" Beer,..but I Like it just the same..[in a weird way]
But In my Humble Opinion,Yuengling Summer Wheat [Weizen Beer] is WORLD CLASS,and just Amazing in every way,notes of very strong Banana,Vanilla Cream,and citrus,
I smelled the Beer for almost 5 minutes,just savoring these wonderful smells..and the Taste follows the nose ..this Beer is nothing short of Stellar, top notch and MUST be tried if you are a fan of the style...
I Think this is THE Highest score i Have gave on this site [BA] However Yuengling Summer Wheat deserves it in every way shape and form..A PERFECT Weizen Beer....just simply Amazing..WOW!!! (815 characters)

4.63/5  rDev +22.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

You might laugh at my score, but I truly believe this might be one of the best, true to traditional style German Weizen's ever brewed on US soil! Yes I said it, one of the best. I have been drinking Weizen's since the 1980's and have been to Germany 3 times, so I know what Hefe Weizen's are supposed to taste, look, smell and feel like. I have also drank my share of US versions and none stand up. If you are still laughing then at least do this, buy a 6 pack (they are cheep at about $6 to $8 a 6er). Do a blind test with a few of your favorite Weizen's and then you will see what I'm talking about.

Look: poured into Weizen glass, 7 finger foamy white head that soon forms a mound, then settles with nice lacing. Clear straw yellow color.
Smell: floral, Wheat, yeasty, fruity.
Taste: out of this world! Very wheaty and light bodied with hints of banana & vanilla. Almost no aftertaste.
Feel: like a true German Weizen should.
Overall: One of the best brewed in America. (973 characters)

4.6/5  rDev +21.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 4.25

Man, just when you think that an old dog cannot be taught new tricks, America's Oldest Brewery reaches into their bag and pulls out a hefeweizen!

I did an agitation of the beer while still in the bottle before beginning my aggro pour and I still had some lees in the bottom when finished. I got about a finger of tawny head with moderate retention from the pour. Color was a cloudy orangish-amber (SRM = > 7, < 9). Nose had the traditional bubble gum and banana esters, but the clove was really pronounced. Yay! This is usually achieved by fermenting under lager conditions, but I was assure that such was not the case. Call it serendipity, then, but I am all for it. The mouthfeel was a little thin, but it was the taste that I was really after. Sure, it evinced banana and bubble gum, but clove was the dominant flavor. I remember, as a kid, Clove Life Savers and this was quite reminiscent of them. Finish was semi-dry, refreshing and a perfect choice for a summer's day. I just wish that they would put it in CANs, but that is not forthcoming. (1,055 characters)

4.59/5  rDev +21.1%
look: 5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I have never been more pleased with an American wheat beer as I have been with this one. I am NOT taking any chances I bought 15 cases.This is an absolutely refreshing wheat beer that has a taste that just pops in your mouth with an incredible finish.if there was one word to describe this beer it would be smooth (313 characters)

4.57/5  rDev +20.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Yuengling Summer Wheat - By far the best beer, all around, I have had in the longest of times. This wheat beer glows in the glass - glows - it's amazing. The hints of citrusy sweetness mixed with the wheat and hops is simply perfect. The brew has this thick, rich feel in your mouth - at just the right amount of carbonation, truly perfect in my book. I really enjoyed the this Yuengling, so much so, I had to try two just to make sure I was tasting what I was tasting. Sometimes you get some of the best surprises in life from the most unsuspecting of place - it's what makes life (and beer tasting) worth doing! (618 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +17.9%

This beer is very close to a true German hefe and impressive for a summer seasonal. The banana clove aroma and taste are evident immediately from the first pour. A little thin but tasty and very refreshing. Add some lemon wedges and you can drink like the Germans do in the summer. Prost! (291 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +17.9%

A: lightly cloudy, sunny golden, dinner roll hue... tall 2" stand of foam on the pour that settles down into a constant cap cover, collar clinging to the glass... very little lace

S: pretty damn spot on and inviting... mashed banana, delicate clove, doughy yeast... potent intensity of aromas - way better than most domestic attempts at the style... comes close to the smell of a Paulaner

T: very little bubblegum, if any... once again, yeasty-doughy wheat kernels... smooth, low bitterness of mellow citrus pith, mild clove essence, hint of sweet roll and wheat malt in the aftertaste... decidedly German nuances

M: ideal, light-medium, glucan-y/wheaty roundness up front... washes back clean, lightly grainy... beautiful

O: WTF?! wow! they need to put this out every year - maybe all year even?... this is fantastic! arguably a Paulaner clone... nice job, Yuengling! can't wait to have it again... now, fix your bock (922 characters)

4.43/5  rDev +16.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

New summer brew from Yuengling done in a traditional German style...hefeweizen.

Here's their description: Yuengling® Summer Wheat is carefully brewed with a combination of wheat and barley malts. Hallertau hops and Bavarian-style top fermenting yeast deliver a thick, creamy head with overtones of banana and clove esters. This authentic German Weizen style beer, with a slight hazy appearance, concludes with a crisp finish.

I did some digging it also weighs in at 3.59% ABW or about 4.5% ABV, and about 11 IBUs. The type of beer meant for the summer time consumption. Pours a hazy amber orange hue much deep in color than some of the other popular summer time wheats available it looks more like Schneider Original Wiesse . Big creamy textured white head, fine speckled lacing left behind.

The aromatics explode with banana and clove, mild spicy notes hints of citrus peel but it's all yeast, barley, and hops to create an authentic wheat beer. What's next for Yuengling if they are able to execute a hefeweizen this well, I can't wait to see more traditional styles. Liquid bread, more fruit explosion mild spice very aromatic.

Flavor wise, fresh baked bread, spicy yeast notes more banana and clove a hint of vanilla in the backend...with bright citric wheat additions. I love everything about this brew so far. Technically they couldn't have done any better their other seasonal releases like the Oktoberfest and the Bock beer leave a lot to be desired, they're always adding the caramel coloring to their beer. This stuff tastes like all grain brewing!!!

Mouthfeel has that German feel with the effervescent carbonation pairs great with grilled chicken or brats or really anything off the girl. It makes me want to go out and grab some more and pair it with some grilled mahi mahi or tuna steaks tonight!!! Light to medium bodied all of the grain gives it great texture perfect level of acidity makes you want to gulp this one down. It goes with out saying this is bottle conditioned and unfiltered in all it's glory be sure to enjoy and swirl your bottle to get every last drop of authentic hefeweizen yeast into your glass!

Overall, I think I said it throughout this review I love this beer, some people think hefeweizen is for chicks, screw that this is man beer and it's damn drinkable and flavorful. Best part, are you ready? It retails for about 7 bucks or under, forget about the stale German imports this summer and crush as much of this stuff at the lake, at a concert, or in a boat as you can while the getting is good. (2,545 characters)

4.43/5  rDev +16.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Very similar to Sam Adams Summer Ale. In fact pretty identical in all major categories. not the best beer but certainly not the worst and yet i find this beer addicting to my taste buds. So i am going to give this beer average grade because it is nothing new to me (264 characters)

4.41/5  rDev +16.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Very pleasantly surprised by this beer. Haven't had the opportunity to taste on draft but out of the bottle and in a glass it was very good. I enjoy Weizen, especially in the summer and this is a great value and well worth giving it a try. Kudos to Yuengling for taking this route. (285 characters)

4.31/5  rDev +13.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured from 12 oz. bottle to pilsner glass.

A: Cloudy, deep yellow, with two fingers of frothy white head that stick around for a while.
S: Lot of banana, bubble gum, warm doughnut-like bread, allspice, nutmeg, and a faint rubbery smell.
T: Taste follows the nose, with banana bread, and a slight tart taste, maybe a little citrus notes. Finishes nice. I could use a bit more sweetness on the front half of the taste.
M: A little watery and slightly creamy. Low carbonation.
O: A nice, tasty Hefeweizen, and a good representation of the style. This is a great summer picnic beer. Very thirst quenching. Fantastic price, only $7 for a six pack. Will probably buy this all summer long. (684 characters)

4.22/5  rDev +11.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

As a Hefeweizen lover, I saw this on the shelf and was so apprehensive that I just had to pick it up.
Poured into a pint glass from a 12 oz. brown glass bottle.

A: A nice hazy orange-tan, a little anemic around the edges. Pours a somewhat generous ~2 finger creamy white head. I did not get a significant amount of lacing.

S: I get a good amount of vanilla, some ripe banana, and tons of orange and lemon. But not the peel, more like the juice. The weakest part of this brew. I think it smells more like a wit.

T: By the second sip I had decided that Yuengling absolutely nailed it. Up front: this is not a banana bomb. It's actually quite hard for me to discern the banana here. What I do get is a magnificent round, floral bubble-gum flavor. Some different esters at play here. On the tail end comes the spicy phenols, more clove than band-aid. Sweetness is very appropriate for the style, and there's a touch of well appreciated astringency on the tail end. The dry finish is absolutely something that most American Hefes miss! As the beer warms the spiciness on the finish turns into a degree of bitterness which I would consider off-style. This is really the only fault I can find in the taste.

M: Creamy and prickly in all the right places. The mouthfeel is absolutely right for a hefeweizen.

O: Yuengling surprised me with this uncharacteristic offering. It's a really good American Hefeweizen. The lack of banana and degree of bitterness definitely put this into the American camp, but among those peers I think it competes really well. Almost as good as Sierra Nevada's Kellerweis. If you like Hefes, pick this up, drink it cold. I don't think you'll be disappointed. (1,681 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +10.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured a slightly cloudy light amber with a three finger head. The hefe is a bit fizzier than my favorite Paulaner and the head is not as creamy. Very modest lacing. Nose is of banana and cloves as expected. Taste . . . whoa . . . is this Yuengling? While not quite as good as Paulaner, this is very tasty! Cloves, banana and a bit of citrus. The yeast flavor comes through too. IMO, this is as good as Franziskaner and Sierra Nevada's Kellerweis.

Way to go Yuengling! Perhaps now you can step up your Oktoberfest. (525 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +10.8%

Pours golden with a slightly amber cast against a slight haze. Very nice head and lacing retention is good. Very good nose of banana, clove and bubblegum. Light medium body with a smooth texture. Normal carbonation, with a touch of effervescence on the finish. Quite nice flavor profile that is well balanced with typical Weizen complexity. Banana leads then flows into a slight clove spiciness over a light biscuit. The finish is crisp and leaves you with a lingering banana/clove aftertaste over a hint of hops. While not as intense as Allagash White, for the price point, this one is world class. Great job Yuengling and congrats on the Gold. (654 characters)

4.16/5  rDev +9.8%

Golden amber delicious brew was served in a pint glass. Unfiltered with noticeable particulates in a bubbly cloudy haze.

Head after pour is two fingers thick, hangs around a few minutes then settles into a thin foam topping, with light lacing.

Smell was very faint, with light fermented banana and yeast noted.

Taste was better than expected, really came across as a tart spiced banana bread. Low carbonation and light feel.

This one is definitely a treat. I hate pouring money down the drain so I'm leery about seasonal brews. Lucked out finding this on sale for $5 a sixer. I'll be going back tomorrow to see if they have a few more. (642 characters)

4.12/5  rDev +8.7%

Pours orange yellow and slightly cloudy, medium carbonation with white puffy head and clingy lace.

Aroma is heavy citrus and slightly sweet. Only slight traces of grain with hints of clove and spice.

Is slightly sweet with citrus notes. Spicy clove, cinnamon, and cardamon notes are underplayed but well balanced between the sweet citrus notes.

Slightly tangy mouthfeel, finishing neither too dry nor too sweet. Refreshing summer wheat, very well done. (455 characters)

4.11/5  rDev +8.4%

Poured from the bottle into a wheat ale glass.

Fluffy and soapy classic head, with a bleach white appearance. Settles from three to one finger with no lacing. Body is a deep orange and rust burnt brown, with a good amount of rising carbonation. Opaque. Looks like a subdued hefe.

Classic hefe nose and large. Huge ester notes of banana, bubblegum, big phenolic spice as well. Large and dominate, but not out of control. Smells like one of the classics very impressive.

Palate matches solidly. Light bodied malt with a little bit of bready density. Some good notice of it more so on the finish. Classic spiced notes of clove and lots of banana mush in the mid palate. Fruit finish, with an almost seltzery carbonation but not quite, but certainly playful.

Quite a big surprise from Yuengling coming up with this, it's a very solid beer. (839 characters)

4.1/5  rDev +8.2%

Pours a nice cloudy amber, golden color in a weizen glass with a nice 2 finger head leaving its mark with lacing down the glass.

Smell is great, especially when the bubbles are still present. As the head dissipates the smell seams to subside but I get some clove spice, maybe some banana, yeast and wheat malts.

Taste is really good. I really like a good hefeweizen and this one has all the taste of a good one. I taste the clove, then it turns to a bready yeast that finishes with maybe a little citrus, lemon snap.

Mouthfeel is pretty decent. Has a decent carbonation that tickles the tongue a little.

Overall, a pleasant surprise. I did not expect such a good beer from such a large brewery. I drink their traditional amber lager a good bit and I was real excited to get a six pack of this. I have thoroughly enjoyed it and hope that I can find it in my area soon. I had to drive an hour and a half to find this sixer. (929 characters)

4.08/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Few beers inspire an immediate review from me anymore. If I take full notes, it's usually a note I place in my phone and post later. Oddly enough, Yuengling's play at a "Summer Wheat" inspired me to immediately review it. Fair notice, I have a soft spot for the metallic "Yuengling flavor."

Pour from a 12 oz into a Samuel Smith's tulip pint. If I would have known I'd actually enjoy this I would have had two and poured it in a Hefeweizen glass...

Appearance: Quite hazy, typical of the style, perhaps a shade more orange than I'd expect an American "Summer Wheat" Hefeweizen to be. Not too far though, and the white head with slight lacing is appropriate. Surprised.

Scent: Heavily of yeast, coriander and banana. This is actually a surprisingly strong scent. No real hops evident, same with the actual beer.

Taste: This is pretty much what I want from an American brand hefeweizen that advertises itself as a "Summer Wheat." I have had far worse on-style beers, and/or year round examples. This is the first of the sort-of new Yuengling seasonals I've loved.

Mouth: Considering it advertises itself as a "Summer Wheat" and not a Hefeweizen, it is close enough between an American lawnmower beer and the actual style.

Overall: Positively emphasized due to surprise and value. Try it. Please. Yuengling, year-round it. (1,325 characters)

4.07/5  rDev +7.4%

I wasn't expecting much when I got this beer, but Yuengling really knocked this one out of the park. This is actually really close to traditional German weizens. Lots of banana and clove in the nose and taste. Light and refreshing. Unlike most of Yuengling's seasonal brews this does not have that "Yuengling Lager" house flavor. If you like weizens I highly recommend giving it a try. (385 characters)

4.05/5  rDev +6.9%

This is one of my favorite beer styles, and the Yuengling is SHOCKINGLY good at its $6 a sixer price. Delicous, and reasonably complex in its flavor to boot. (158 characters)

4.04/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

A-It pours deep golden orange color which is opaque. The head foams slightly at first, giving way to a thin white head eventually settling on top which remains till the end of the pint.

S-Bananna, light herbal spice with some light citrus, wow.

M-Crisp, refreshing leading to creamy in a hanks orange soda kind of way.

T-It begins with striking balance between fruity banana and maybe cloves. There is a bright orange citrus taste that pops on the way down.

O-This is a well done wheat/weizen beer. Dare I say my favorite offering from Yuengling? Easiy. I foresee drinking quite a bit of this during the coming months. (622 characters)

Yuengling Summer Wheat from Yuengling Brewery