Yuengling Summer Wheat - Yuengling Brewery

Hefeweizen |  4.50% ABV

Availability: Summer

Beer added by: WVbeergeek on 04-03-2014

1.84/5  rDev -51.6%

Not really a hefe fan, but do like Yuengling, so gave it a go: Seemed to have the prerequisite features: banana, bubblegum(on 1st sip), clove, etc., but just not my cup of tea overall. Perhaps if appropriately paired with the right food, it might be worth a revisit or perhaps doing the lemon twist thing that some have suggested with Hefes. Not something I would ever purchase again. (389 characters)

2.33/5  rDev -38.7%

Very nasty heartburn as a result of imbibing. Will never buy it again. Short and sweet, I do not like it. OK Maybe I don't like Summer wheat. Just adding words due.to minimal requirement of words in review. Much prefer their Lager I have one left in my frig anyone wants it. (274 characters)

3.08/5  rDev -18.9%

12 oz bottle. Pours hazy golden with long lasting, foamy, white head and nice lacing. Aroma is of wheat malt, spices and bananas. Body is light and smooth. Taste is similar to aroma. Finish is long and fruity. Not bad for Yuengling. (236 characters)

3.11/5  rDev -18.2%
look: 2.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

12oz bottle into a pint glass.

Pours a hazy dark orange with a negligible head. Really no lacing at all and no head retention. A bit of a shame considering what I was expecting for the style.

Aroma is loaded with banana and bubblegum as I would expect but there is a little bit of a "wet dog" off-note. Yeastyness and a bit of grass make up the remainder.

The flavor doesn't really have anything wrong with it but it is a bit mild all-around. Good banana and yeast notes with a touch of light caramel and some hay/grass. Bitterness is very light, just enough to balance out the malt, and the finish is quite dry. Soft mouthfeel that is appropriate for the style.

Overall, not a bad hefeweizen for the price but it is far from outstanding. A good thirst-quencher but not mind-blowing. (789 characters)

3.22/5  rDev -15.3%

12 ounce bottle - $1.79 at Total Wine & More in Kennesaw, Georgia.

Appearance: Dim, clouded orange body with a thin, whitish head.

Smell: Basic nose smelling simply of malted wheat, thin toasted edge, and hints of clove and banana.

Taste: Slightly sourish wheat malt baseboards with a lil' toasted honey for a low, overall sweetness. Faint, faint lemon, slight clove, and a smidgen of banana. All flavors drop off the palate for the neutral finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium-light body. Medium-plus carbonation.

Overall: It's doable, but not the best wheat, well wheat-anything, by far. (583 characters)

3.23/5  rDev -15%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

This brew pours a hazy, opaque orange color with lots of sediment in the glass. There is a fluffy two finger white head which dissipates fairly quickly but some of it does stick around until the end. There is light lacing and lots of carbonation.

The smell is full of bubble gum, bananas, cloves and coriander. There is also the usual sweet wheat and musty smell.

The taste follows the nose with mostly the bubble gum taste dominating. The bananas and spices are a bit muted. This beer is very sweet, the sweetness downs out most every other taste. This does not change as the beer warms up. The feel is creamy but there is a slightly gritty taste at the end along with a hint of hops. Overall, this is another decent beer from Yuengling. (741 characters)

3.25/5  rDev -14.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

From the 12 fl. oz. bottle. Sampled on July 5, 2014.

So, Yuengling brews beers that are beyond their standard brews.

Pale yellow pour with a big white fizzy head. Slight haze with excitable carbonation.

The aroma reminds me of a wheat clearly with its wheat malt character. Also, I pick up a vague citrus thing and toasted pale malts. Clean, crisp hops.

Light and refreshing body.

A decent enough wheat character in the taste and a clean, crisp hop finish, A slight smokiness too Basically a decent Hefeweizen and one I mighty remember. (542 characters)

3.33/5  rDev -12.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Picked up a sixer at Rodman's in DC. Looks exactly like Yuengling transformed into a wheat beer--about 2 shades lighter than the Lager, with a big white head that laces in tiers. Nose is to the biscuit malt and spice ends of things, but definitely some banana, pineapple and clove in there too. Taste follows suit, big and malty with some clove, banana and a nice hit of spice. Crisp and pleasantly skunky (probably signature Yuengling yeast) on the end.

In short, it's basically exactly what you would think a Yuengling wheat beer would be, and in no way is that a bad thing. I already wish they would make it all year. (622 characters)

3.38/5  rDev -11.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

A: Pours a medium to dark golden apricot in color with significant amounts of active visible carbonation rising quickly from the bottom of the glass and some faint golden yellow + orange highlights. The beer has a finger tall foamy off-white head that reduces fairly quickly to a large patch of mottled thick film covering the majority of the surface of the beer and a medium thick ring at the edges of the glass. Light amounts of lacing are observed.

S: Light to moderate aromas of banana + clove over the top of a slightly stronger aroma of wheat.

T: Upfront there is a moderate flavor of banana that is followed by light to moderate flavors of wheat. There is a light amount of clove throughout. Minimal amounts of bitterness in the finish.

M: Just shy of medium bodied with just a touch more than moderate amounts of carbonation. Hints of dryness in the finish.

O: Not a great example of a hefeweizen but still a drinkable beer - I feel like it is a slightly mellowed version of the style to appear to a broader, not necessarily just craft audience. (1,057 characters)

3.4/5  rDev -10.5%

Yuengling Summer Wheat from Yuengling Brewery is the first brew I've drank by this company besides their orginal lager. Poured from the bottle into a glass, this brew has the standard wheat beer head that consists of very fine bubbles that dissipate quickly. This appearance of the brew is again, stand wheat beer. Murky brown translucency, a sign of a quality made authentic wheat beer.

Smells like bubblegum and bananas, a more traditional approach to this style. Now I know I'm in for a new experience with this brew.

Initial taste of the aforementioned bubblegum and bananas with an inviting lip-lick of clove. These are all of the attributes I've read about and completely agree with, now that I've had the pleasure of drinking this brew. Nothing lingering on the tongue, although a quick pepperiness comes and goes towards the very end. I like this and feel that it adds to the "summer liveliness" of this seasonal beer.

Overall a pretty good 3.75 . This is the first German-style wheat beer I've consumed. Every other one has been Belgian-style. I'm glad I got this chance to travel the globe yet again in the form of a lovely brew. I will certainly buy this brew again for , you guessed it, hot summer days. (1,221 characters)

look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

12 oz bottle with some sediment on the bottom.
Lightly hazed amber body with a decent head.
Aroma: banana, spices and yeasty dough -- about what expected for style although high on fruitiness.
Flavor: also true to style albeit on the less robust side.
High carbonation is lightly prickly and enlivens the light body. Semi-dry finish.

O: a respectable Hefeweizen from this macro-brewery. (392 characters)

3.41/5  rDev -10.3%

It is a decent summer beer. With more and more "summer" beers being made, you can easily find one with more depth of flavor. You could also choose one that is noticeably lower quality. Yuengling = good quality beer, and that is what you get with this one. (255 characters)

look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Appearance is a hazy light copper with over a finger of head that lingers a bit. The wheat notes are well defined in the nose. The wheat is also strong in the flavor – more so than any other wheat beer I’ve ever sampled. Unfortunately, a funny and unpleasant sweetness accompanies the hearty wheat notes. (308 characters)

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

My first Hefeweizen. I'm more of a stout fan, but this isn't bad. Matter of fact, it's a pretty smooth, easy to drink beer. Not big on flavors, but goes well with most foods. The wheat, like in some whiskies helps smooth out the taste for sure. Fans of Maker's or Bernheim should try this beer. (295 characters)

3.43/5  rDev -9.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I am a firm fan of Yuengling, having grown up in Maryland, not far from the source. I had never tried Summer Wheat until just now. I think it is highly enjoyable. The wheat is very strong and there are light fruit notes. Is it a great Weizen? No. Is it enjoyable? Yes. Is it cheap? Yes. So though it doesn't get a really high rating, don't let that dissuade you from grabbing a six on a warm spring or summer day and tipping back. It's a good go to beer if you aren't expecting too much, and makes a great BBQ beer when you have to buy for friends and family. (559 characters)

3.43/5  rDev -9.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.25

a: Murky dark straw color; poured with a decent sized fluffy head.

s: Banana, clove, and light citrus are all here in good proportions. There is a little something more that is out of place. Something sweet maybe?

t: Tastes as the smell suggests it would. That little something extra is a bit more prominent, at the finish in particular. Its a faintly metallic kind of sweetness. Edit: into my second bottle now and noticing it more. Lowering scores a bit.

m: Chewy and satisfying.

o: Good enough to buy again at this price. I'll most likely spend the extra 3 bucks for Dreamweaver more often though. (604 characters)

3.45/5  rDev -9.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Tried one of these at my local and thought to write the review while I was consuming. I wouldn't have known about it, but there was POP advertising right next to me at the end of the bar.

A: Cloudy, murky yellow with a touch of amber color. Little head and lace.

S: Just like it should is the only thing I could think of. Juicy fruit, slightly sweet.

M: Creamy on the pull, taste hole in the center, and a candy aftertaste.

T: More Juicy Fruit. Very candy like. Wheat husk at the bottom and seemed like a powdered drink mix was added.

O: Even with the corn adjunct it didn't put me off. It did feel like a cheaper beer, maybe on par with Blue Moon. I've had worse wheat beers, but compared to Yuengling's other recent season attempts, this rises to the the top. (770 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -7.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

A - pours a cloudy yellow-orange color with a nice white head which leaves average lacing around the glass.

S - smell of citrus like lemon or orange with a hint of grain

T - taste is very citrus heavy. Fairly sweet with almost no bitterness. Quite tangy.

M - full bodied beer that leaves a sweetened lingering in my mouth.

0 - not bad just not my favorite style. I prefer dark beer but the most complex tasting beer I've had from yuengling so far. I would not turn down another. (485 characters)

Two 12oz bottles poured into a hefe glass
A: Impressive; burnt orange with a 1+ finger head that slowly settles, lots of tiny bubbles
S: Wheat, a hint of citrus and grass
T: Light but pleasant wheat with a bit of lemon
M: Light-bodied with a light carbonation
O: Not the most complex wheat beer out there but certainly solid; goes down very easily on a hot late summer day (372 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -7.9%

I really like wheat beers. I used to be an overly-hopped beer junky until my tastebuds rebelled. Now I really like wheat beers. Who's to say what happened? I suppose a medical consultation is in order. Anyway, I tried Yuengling's Summer Wheat and was pleasantly surprised. It tasted as good as many a German Heffeweizens I've tried. It's reasonably priced and quite satisfying. It has a very clean finish and makes me want to order another one. I've tried the bottled version only since I've not seen it on tap anywhere around here. (532 characters)

3.51/5  rDev -7.6%

I poured this into a pint glass. Nice color, cloudy golden, decent head, a foamy white that did not linger.

The aroma blew me away. My favorite smelling hefeweizen by far. The banana notes are so strong, I thought I was actually in for a fruit wheat beer, specifically banana. The banana aroma is a highlight of my hefeweizen experience, so the stronger the better for me, personally. This really got my hopes up.

The banana ester do not carry into the flavor, typical of a hefeweizen. To be fair, Yuengling does not label this beer a hefe, but rather a "traditional weizen beer". I don't know about you, but I thought a traditional weizen was a here.

I really tried to like this more. I really did. The smell was so appealing, I wanted this relationship to work out. The flavor and mouthfeel were quite thin, and I was left wanting more. It is a light, refreshing beer. Not necessarily what I'm looking for.

Kudo's to Yuengling for trying something new, but thin is an experience I've had with this company more than once.

In my opinion, they are trying to keep their bread and butter customers, perhaps a more mainstream group, while stepping over the craft beer line. I'm not sure you can have it both ways. (1,215 characters)

3.51/5  rDev -7.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

P: 12oz bottle into a pint glass.

A: A murky dark gold with a two finger white head. No lacing to speak of.

S: Banana and clove and a little hay or grass. Some pepperiness sneaks in too. Bitterness is low.

T: A light and sweet malt backbone with clove, banana and bubblegum flavors.

M: Light body, moderate carbonation. Pretty refreshing to drink.

O: Yuengling was a stepping stone to craft beer for me. While I'm no longer a big fan of their Lager, this Summer Wheat seems to hit all of the right notes for a beer that's significantly cheaper that it's competition. I'd happy buy a case of this for a summer cookout. (623 characters)

3.54/5  rDev -6.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Poured from 12 FL. OZ. bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a cloudy, full bodied yellow-brown wheat beer body with a decent to thin white head.

Smell: Strong banana and clove aroma. Smells tart.

Taste: Nice, light banana wheat beer flavor. Not overpowering in the least.

Mouthfeel: Nice and light, not too tart.

Overall: A nice light wheat beer for the masses and by no means do I mean this in a derogatory way. (425 characters)

3.57/5  rDev -6.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

This beer is great in the summer (as advertised). It has a fruity taste and is easy to drink. It is not an outstanding beer, but I would recommend having a couple over a barbecue. This is a good beer for people who typically do not enjoy heavy or strong flavored beers. Good for a soft pallet. (293 characters)

3.58/5  rDev -5.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

12 oz bottle, poured into a pint glass

Appearance: Pours a pretty, semi-cloudy, golden, amber/straw color with a quarter of a finger of white-colored head that completely dissolved away into no head what-so-ever.

Aroma: Very wheaty and grassy up front, imparting notes of cereal, clover, honey-suckle, followed by some slight aromas of lemony citrus and lemon peel.

Taste: Very much like the aroma. Grassy and wheaty up front, imparting notes of cereal, clover, honey-suckle, followed by some honey-like sweetness, and finished with some lemony citrus flavors. Quite good.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied and pretty smooth as there is not a lot of carbonation. With an ABV of 4.8%, there is no alcohol on the palate.

Overall: Wow! A weizenbier that I like! Lots of bready, cereal-like flavors, blended beautifully by some honey-like sweetness and some pleasant lemony citrus. There are none of the traditional weizenbier flavors of bubblegum and Band-Aids® which suits me just fine! (992 characters)

Yuengling Summer Wheat from Yuengling Brewery