Yuengling Summer Wheat - Yuengling Brewery

Pennsylvania, United States

Hefeweizen |  4.50% ABV

Availability: Summer

Beer added by: WVbeergeek on 04-03-2014

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Yuengling Summer Wheat Alström Bros
3.41/5  rDev -8.3%

It is a decent summer beer. With more and more "summer" beers being made, you can easily find one with more depth of flavor. You could also choose one that is noticeably lower quality. Yuengling = good quality beer, and that is what you get with this one.

3.68/5  rDev -1.1%

A much appreciated, unusual offering from the Pennsylvania macro-brewer. Ripe banana and clove aroma from the requisite fruity esters that only the Bavarian-style ale yeast can deliver. Sweet malt, rich banana and clove flavor as you expect and hope for, if you are a fan of this style like I am. Unfortunately, for me there is a short burst of bitter in the finish, enough to decimate the rich pleasant flavor. I tried this head to head against two other similar PA brewed hefeweizens, Troegs Dreamweaver and Straub Straubweizen. Overall, I prefer the Straub and Troegs over this one due to the somewhat disappointing bitter notes. Still, I would likely pick up another case next year, considering the low price, if I was unable to find the Straubweizen.

Update: Having a hard time finishing a case of this so I decided to try mixing with other wheat beers to dilute the intense, somewhat offensive, clove taste. Mixing a 12 ounce bottle with 4-12 ounces of a good bavarian dunkelweizen proved the best solution. Franziskaner dunkelweizen worked well for me since I have a keg available. The rich caramel together with the banana and clove works out very well.

3.66/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

First time I had this the first year it was released...crap crap crap. 2 years later I decided to revisit this since it was on special at a bar that I frequent. I wa a super impressed with the tweaking on this brew. Very reminiscent of a classic German Hefeweizen. Hints of clove, banana, and esters where prevevelent. Definitely give this brew a second look if you haven't had it before and especially if you have had it and thought it was garbage. It is now a great representation of the style!

4.57/5  rDev +22.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Yuengling Summer Wheat - By far the best beer, all around, I have had in the longest of times. This wheat beer glows in the glass - glows - it's amazing. The hints of citrusy sweetness mixed with the wheat and hops is simply perfect. The brew has this thick, rich feel in your mouth - at just the right amount of carbonation, truly perfect in my book. I really enjoyed the this Yuengling, so much so, I had to try two just to make sure I was tasting what I was tasting. Sometimes you get some of the best surprises in life from the most unsuspecting of place - it's what makes life (and beer tasting) worth doing!

1.84/5  rDev -50.5%

Not really a hefe fan, but do like Yuengling, so gave it a go: Seemed to have the prerequisite features: banana, bubblegum(on 1st sip), clove, etc., but just not my cup of tea overall. Perhaps if appropriately paired with the right food, it might be worth a revisit or perhaps doing the lemon twist thing that some have suggested with Hefes. Not something I would ever purchase again.

3.71/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

From the second of two bottles I got in the mail from @tommyguz earlier this month. Can't find a bottling date, but I assume it's pretty fresh considering that the really hot summery weather just got here and the summer seasonal beers tend to be released just a month or so before that time of year.

You can tell at a glance that this is a very different sort of beer from every other Yuengling that I've had -- it's not just "a little cloudy" but incredibly cloudy, blocking almost all light from my phone if I shine it through the thickest part of the glass (and only lets a vague light outline through in the thinner part -- no reading your phone through the beer here.) It's a dark yellow/slightly orange-ish in color, and the head is white and foams up pretty big if you pour quickly. Which seems to be a good idea--this beer seemed almost TOO fizzy in the mouth the first time I had it, but pouring a bit quicker and letting it foam up seems to have made the immense fizz die down a bit.

The smell is, again, very different from other Yuengling beers. There's a bit of an almost banana-like thing, and some other yeasty, almost-bready funkiness. None of "hair salon smell" that I pick up (to one degree or another) in other Yuengling beers I've tried. The funkiness in the smell is a bit weird at times, but not bad, just odd.

Taste is (and here's the only bit that seems to fall into the pattern I've noticed with other Yuengling beers) better than the smell for sure. There's the banana-like flavor, except it's not *quite* banana, it sort of borders on a couple other things that I can't quite put a name to. There is a definite "banana candy" sort of thing present in the taste when I burp, though. There's also a breadiness that usually blends in with the banana-like flavor, but hangs around a bit longer. There's even a faint bit of something spicy blending with this breadiness. Overall, this is pretty good, and seems especially good in the glass in front of me now (I wonder if pouring faster and letting the head foam up more had an impact? I know it seems to have made a difference in a few other beers I've had in the past.)

The mouthfeel seems to vary drastically depending on how the beer is poured. On a much slower pour the first time, it was incredibly fizzy, and I think that made a (mostly negative) impact on the beer. This time I poured a bit quicker and let a bigger head of foam form, and the beer's mouthfeel is so different... much smoother, the fizziness doesn't stand out as "millions of prickly little bubbles in my mouth" like it did before. The fizziness is clearly still there (this makes me burp more than any other beer I've had before it) but it's "tamed" a bit in this glass, so I'm not feeling it as much. I really like it this way.

Overall, this is a really nice beer (especially on a warm night when you come home worn out and sweaty from work and then dancing...) and my favorite from Yuengling so far, snatching that title away from the Yuengling Bock that held it for just a few days. It's very different from their other beers (at least those I've had), but in a good way -- it's always nice when breweries have some variety in their lineup. Apparently it was just introduced last summer; here's hoping it sticks around for many summers to come (and that their new winter seasonal coming up is good, too!) I'll have to grab more of this in the near future if I can find a place nearby that stocks it.

4.31/5  rDev +15.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured from 12 oz. bottle to pilsner glass.

A: Cloudy, deep yellow, with two fingers of frothy white head that stick around for a while.
S: Lot of banana, bubble gum, warm doughnut-like bread, allspice, nutmeg, and a faint rubbery smell.
T: Taste follows the nose, with banana bread, and a slight tart taste, maybe a little citrus notes. Finishes nice. I could use a bit more sweetness on the front half of the taste.
M: A little watery and slightly creamy. Low carbonation.
O: A nice, tasty Hefeweizen, and a good representation of the style. This is a great summer picnic beer. Very thirst quenching. Fantastic price, only $7 for a six pack. Will probably buy this all summer long.

3.08/5  rDev -17.2%

12 oz bottle. Pours hazy golden with long lasting, foamy, white head and nice lacing. Aroma is of wheat malt, spices and bananas. Body is light and smooth. Taste is similar to aroma. Finish is long and fruity. Not bad for Yuengling.

4.22/5  rDev +13.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

As a Hefeweizen lover, I saw this on the shelf and was so apprehensive that I just had to pick it up.
Poured into a pint glass from a 12 oz. brown glass bottle.

A: A nice hazy orange-tan, a little anemic around the edges. Pours a somewhat generous ~2 finger creamy white head. I did not get a significant amount of lacing.

S: I get a good amount of vanilla, some ripe banana, and tons of orange and lemon. But not the peel, more like the juice. The weakest part of this brew. I think it smells more like a wit.

T: By the second sip I had decided that Yuengling absolutely nailed it. Up front: this is not a banana bomb. It's actually quite hard for me to discern the banana here. What I do get is a magnificent round, floral bubble-gum flavor. Some different esters at play here. On the tail end comes the spicy phenols, more clove than band-aid. Sweetness is very appropriate for the style, and there's a touch of well appreciated astringency on the tail end. The dry finish is absolutely something that most American Hefes miss! As the beer warms the spiciness on the finish turns into a degree of bitterness which I would consider off-style. This is really the only fault I can find in the taste.

M: Creamy and prickly in all the right places. The mouthfeel is absolutely right for a hefeweizen.

O: Yuengling surprised me with this uncharacteristic offering. It's a really good American Hefeweizen. The lack of banana and degree of bitterness definitely put this into the American camp, but among those peers I think it competes really well. Almost as good as Sierra Nevada's Kellerweis. If you like Hefes, pick this up, drink it cold. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

3.58/5  rDev -3.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

12 oz bottle, poured into a pint glass

Appearance: Pours a pretty, semi-cloudy, golden, amber/straw color with a quarter of a finger of white-colored head that completely dissolved away into no head what-so-ever.

Aroma: Very wheaty and grassy up front, imparting notes of cereal, clover, honey-suckle, followed by some slight aromas of lemony citrus and lemon peel.

Taste: Very much like the aroma. Grassy and wheaty up front, imparting notes of cereal, clover, honey-suckle, followed by some honey-like sweetness, and finished with some lemony citrus flavors. Quite good.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied and pretty smooth as there is not a lot of carbonation. With an ABV of 4.8%, there is no alcohol on the palate.

Overall: Wow! A weizenbier that I like! Lots of bready, cereal-like flavors, blended beautifully by some honey-like sweetness and some pleasant lemony citrus. There are none of the traditional weizenbier flavors of bubblegum and Band-Aids® which suits me just fine!

3.8/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a deep gold color, with a thin white head that fades quickly and leaves a thin lace on the glass.

S: The aroma contains bananas, wheat, light caramelized malts and touches of hops and citrus.

T: The taste starts out bready with flavors of wheat and a hearty but not too heavy malt character. Then some sweet flavors of bananas, caramel and citrus come in. The hops presence is very mild but brings some balance. The after-taste is slightly bready and slightly sweet.

M: Crisp and smooth, light-to-medium body, medium carbonation, finish is slightly sticky.

O: Tasty, goes down very easily, not too filling, very mild kick, good representation of style, this is a decent lawnmower beer to pound down for a long time.

look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

12 oz bottle with some sediment on the bottom.
Lightly hazed amber body with a decent head.
Aroma: banana, spices and yeasty dough -- about what expected for style although high on fruitiness.
Flavor: also true to style albeit on the less robust side.
High carbonation is lightly prickly and enlivens the light body. Semi-dry finish.

O: a respectable Hefeweizen from this macro-brewery.

3.5/5  rDev -5.9%

Two 12oz bottles poured into a hefe glass
A: Impressive; burnt orange with a 1+ finger head that slowly settles, lots of tiny bubbles
S: Wheat, a hint of citrus and grass
T: Light but pleasant wheat with a bit of lemon
M: Light-bodied with a light carbonation
O: Not the most complex wheat beer out there but certainly solid; goes down very easily on a hot late summer day

4.2/5  rDev +12.9%

Pours golden with a slightly amber cast against a slight haze. Very nice head and lacing retention is good. Very good nose of banana, clove and bubblegum. Light medium body with a smooth texture. Normal carbonation, with a touch of effervescence on the finish. Quite nice flavor profile that is well balanced with typical Weizen complexity. Banana leads then flows into a slight clove spiciness over a light biscuit. The finish is crisp and leaves you with a lingering banana/clove aftertaste over a hint of hops. While not as intense as Allagash White, for the price point, this one is world class. Great job Yuengling and congrats on the Gold.

3.82/5  rDev +2.7%

12oz bottle poured into a pint glass.

A: Hazy golden-orange color. Creamy white head retains well at an inch in height.

S: Overripe bananas, wheaty tang, bread, vanilla, hints of clove. Actually a lot more hef character than I was expecting. Not bad.

T: chalky yeast up front. Wheaty tartness. Traces of white pepper and clove. Green banana. Doughy. Very yeasty finish.

M: Light and frothy/fluffy in the mouth. Airy, whipped sort of texture. Sharp, scrubbing effervescence.

O: Surprisingly on point. We actually have a bit of a sleeper on our hands here. It's a solid, well-made hefeweizen, especially considering its price point and availability. I would not hesitate to pick this up if I had a hankering for the style. Truthfully you're probably better off with this than gambling on one of the more renowned imports that probably suffered on the journey.

3.5/5  rDev -5.9%

I really like wheat beers. I used to be an overly-hopped beer junky until my tastebuds rebelled. Now I really like wheat beers. Who's to say what happened? I suppose a medical consultation is in order. Anyway, I tried Yuengling's Summer Wheat and was pleasantly surprised. It tasted as good as many a German Heffeweizens I've tried. It's reasonably priced and quite satisfying. It has a very clean finish and makes me want to order another one. I've tried the bottled version only since I've not seen it on tap anywhere around here.

I find the reviews on this beer to be a little low (probably because it is brewed by Yuengling). This beer is very similar to Franziskaner hefeweizen and quite a bit cheaper. It's missing some of the nuance of Franziskaner, but it is essentially a cheap clone. My only major complaint is the ABV is a little low. On a budget and want a good wheat beer? This is it.

3.9/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.5

While not the greatest hefeweizen you'll ever come across, it is quite solid. And for the price, it is amazing. We should congratulate a big brewery for delivering a good quality beer, a traditional style at that, at a great price. Well done.

The combination of price and quality makes this my new go-to summer beer.

look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Appearance is a hazy light copper with over a finger of head that lingers a bit. The wheat notes are well defined in the nose. The wheat is also strong in the flavor – more so than any other wheat beer I’ve ever sampled. Unfortunately, a funny and unpleasant sweetness accompanies the hearty wheat notes.

3.62/5  rDev -2.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Yuengling Summer Wheat has a thick, off-white head, an initially clear, very bubbly, orange-gold appearance, some residual lacing, and a descending, gray-brown cloud, when the bottom contents are swished and poured in. The aroma is strong, with sweet, spicy, yeasty holiday bread, banana, and cloves. There is even a bubblegum pickup. Taste is not as full, but one can detect sweet, spicy wheat bread, higher-than-average bitterness, tap water, and a shade of banana. Mouthfeel is light to medium, and Yuengling Summer Wheat finishes crisp and easy drinking.

3.57/5  rDev -4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

This beer is great in the summer (as advertised). It has a fruity taste and is easy to drink. It is not an outstanding beer, but I would recommend having a couple over a barbecue. This is a good beer for people who typically do not enjoy heavy or strong flavored beers. Good for a soft pallet.

3.64/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

a 12oz bottle at a friends house, poured into a glass.

Looks pretty decent, only very slight haziness, considering I dumped the entire bottle, yellow body with some orange tones, small white head which maintained quite well, good carbonation and lacing.

Aroma was actually quite strong and pleasant, wheat, bubblegum, strong yeast aroma

Taste was okay just that it petered out very quickly, no lasting or lingering on the tongue. From the aroma, I was hoping for something more flavorful.

Mouth was pretty thin.

Overall, not a bad or unpleasant beer at all. Would likely do the trick very nicely after a day working in the garden. It's just that it becomes bland rather quickly.

2.33/5  rDev -37.4%

Very nasty heartburn as a result of imbibing. Will never buy it again. Short and sweet, I do not like it. OK Maybe I don't like Summer wheat. Just adding words due.to minimal requirement of words in review. Much prefer their Lager I have one left in my frig anyone wants it.

4.59/5  rDev +23.4%
look: 5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I have never been more pleased with an American wheat beer as I have been with this one. I am NOT taking any chances I bought 15 cases.This is an absolutely refreshing wheat beer that has a taste that just pops in your mouth with an incredible finish.if there was one word to describe this beer it would be smooth

3.85/5  rDev +3.5%

This is a true hefeweizen, I have a had spaten franziskaner hefeweizen in the past before they changed there recipe, and edelweiss from Austria, this stuff is reminiscent of those type of brews, awesome, after drinking plenty of yuengling products, they have surprised the sh*t out of me.

Yuengling Summer Wheat from Yuengling Brewery