Yuengling Summer Wheat - Yuengling Brewery

Pennsylvania, United States

Hefeweizen |  4.50% ABV

Availability: Summer

Beer added by: WVbeergeek on 04-03-2014

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 449 | Reviews: 69
3.5/5  rDev -1.7%

3.5/5  rDev -1.7%

1.5/5  rDev -57.9%

4.25/5  rDev +19.4%

4.25/5  rDev +19.4%

3.51/5  rDev -1.4%

I poured this into a pint glass. Nice color, cloudy golden, decent head, a foamy white that did not linger.

The aroma blew me away. My favorite smelling hefeweizen by far. The banana notes are so strong, I thought I was actually in for a fruit wheat beer, specifically banana. The banana aroma is a highlight of my hefeweizen experience, so the stronger the better for me, personally. This really got my hopes up.

The banana ester do not carry into the flavor, typical of a hefeweizen. To be fair, Yuengling does not label this beer a hefe, but rather a "traditional weizen beer". I don't know about you, but I thought a traditional weizen was a here.

I really tried to like this more. I really did. The smell was so appealing, I wanted this relationship to work out. The flavor and mouthfeel were quite thin, and I was left wanting more. It is a light, refreshing beer. Not necessarily what I'm looking for.

Kudo's to Yuengling for trying something new, but thin is an experience I've had with this company more than once.

In my opinion, they are trying to keep their bread and butter customers, perhaps a more mainstream group, while stepping over the craft beer line. I'm not sure you can have it both ways.

3.22/5  rDev -9.6%

12 ounce bottle - $1.79 at Total Wine & More in Kennesaw, Georgia.

Appearance: Dim, clouded orange body with a thin, whitish head.

Smell: Basic nose smelling simply of malted wheat, thin toasted edge, and hints of clove and banana.

Taste: Slightly sourish wheat malt baseboards with a lil' toasted honey for a low, overall sweetness. Faint, faint lemon, slight clove, and a smidgen of banana. All flavors drop off the palate for the neutral finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium-light body. Medium-plus carbonation.

Overall: It's doable, but not the best wheat, well wheat-anything, by far.

4.66/5  rDev +30.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.75

OK....To be Honest and Fair,I am somewhat of a big time fan of "Yuengling's" beers overall,their Bock may be a bit left of center and has a bit of a Grapefruit note...which is VERY Strange for a "Bock" Beer,..but I Like it just the same..[in a weird way]
But In my Humble Opinion,Yuengling Summer Wheat [Weizen Beer] is WORLD CLASS,and just Amazing in every way,notes of very strong Banana,Vanilla Cream,and citrus,
I smelled the Beer for almost 5 minutes,just savoring these wonderful smells..and the Taste follows the nose ..this Beer is nothing short of Stellar, top notch and MUST be tried if you are a fan of the style...
I Think this is THE Highest score i Have gave on this site [BA] However Yuengling Summer Wheat deserves it in every way shape and form..A PERFECT Weizen Beer....just simply Amazing..WOW!!!

4.5/5  rDev +26.4%

4.47/5  rDev +25.6%

A: lightly cloudy, sunny golden, dinner roll hue... tall 2" stand of foam on the pour that settles down into a constant cap cover, collar clinging to the glass... very little lace

S: pretty damn spot on and inviting... mashed banana, delicate clove, doughy yeast... potent intensity of aromas - way better than most domestic attempts at the style... comes close to the smell of a Paulaner

T: very little bubblegum, if any... once again, yeasty-doughy wheat kernels... smooth, low bitterness of mellow citrus pith, mild clove essence, hint of sweet roll and wheat malt in the aftertaste... decidedly German nuances

M: ideal, light-medium, glucan-y/wheaty roundness up front... washes back clean, lightly grainy... beautiful

O: WTF?! wow! they need to put this out every year - maybe all year even?... this is fantastic! arguably a Paulaner clone... nice job, Yuengling! can't wait to have it again... now, fix your bock

4.08/5  rDev +14.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Few beers inspire an immediate review from me anymore. If I take full notes, it's usually a note I place in my phone and post later. Oddly enough, Yuengling's play at a "Summer Wheat" inspired me to immediately review it. Fair notice, I have a soft spot for the metallic "Yuengling flavor."

Pour from a 12 oz into a Samuel Smith's tulip pint. If I would have known I'd actually enjoy this I would have had two and poured it in a Hefeweizen glass...

Appearance: Quite hazy, typical of the style, perhaps a shade more orange than I'd expect an American "Summer Wheat" Hefeweizen to be. Not too far though, and the white head with slight lacing is appropriate. Surprised.

Scent: Heavily of yeast, coriander and banana. This is actually a surprisingly strong scent. No real hops evident, same with the actual beer.

Taste: This is pretty much what I want from an American brand hefeweizen that advertises itself as a "Summer Wheat." I have had far worse on-style beers, and/or year round examples. This is the first of the sort-of new Yuengling seasonals I've loved.

Mouth: Considering it advertises itself as a "Summer Wheat" and not a Hefeweizen, it is close enough between an American lawnmower beer and the actual style.

Overall: Positively emphasized due to surprise and value. Try it. Please. Yuengling, year-round it.

3.75/5  rDev +5.3%

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Yuengling Summer Wheat from Yuengling Brewery