Yuengling Summer Wheat - Yuengling Brewery

Hefeweizen |  4.50% ABV

Availability: Summer

Beer added by: WVbeergeek on 04-03-2014

4.07/5  rDev +7.1%

I wasn't expecting much when I got this beer, but Yuengling really knocked this one out of the park. This is actually really close to traditional German weizens. Lots of banana and clove in the nose and taste. Light and refreshing. Unlike most of Yuengling's seasonal brews this does not have that "Yuengling Lager" house flavor. If you like weizens I highly recommend giving it a try. (385 characters)

3.74/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I like it!

I was a little skeptical of another seasonal from Yuengling (I've disliked every other one) but I do keep coming back to the original as my go to "cheep" beer here on the east coast. Wheat beers are my favorite style so I figured, "why not?"

I'm glad I did. This is pretty good. Looks great, just like I'd expect from a good German wheat. The head didn't stay around long, but neither did my beer :) Both the smell and taste have a somewhat artificial sweet smell/flavor to them. It's not strong, but something seems just not quite right.

Comparison wise, I suppose this would up against blue moon or shocktop for cheep macro brew and compare well. I would easily take this over shock top any day. It doesn't have that artificial orange flavor of bluemoon, which is good, but I'm still not sure I'd prefer it every time. The 4.5% ABV is a little disappointing, although it'll feel great to enjoy a few of these after mowing the lawn. Fortunately here in VA it's at least a $1-2 / 6-pack cheeper that blue moon so that settles it. I have a new favorite cheep wheat beer! (1,084 characters)

3.45/5  rDev -9.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Tried one of these at my local and thought to write the review while I was consuming. I wouldn't have known about it, but there was POP advertising right next to me at the end of the bar.

A: Cloudy, murky yellow with a touch of amber color. Little head and lace.

S: Just like it should is the only thing I could think of. Juicy fruit, slightly sweet.

M: Creamy on the pull, taste hole in the center, and a candy aftertaste.

T: More Juicy Fruit. Very candy like. Wheat husk at the bottom and seemed like a powdered drink mix was added.

O: Even with the corn adjunct it didn't put me off. It did feel like a cheaper beer, maybe on par with Blue Moon. I've had worse wheat beers, but compared to Yuengling's other recent season attempts, this rises to the the top. (770 characters)

3.77/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Pours a hazed orange color with a white head. Aroma of banana and a bit of clove, not so much Yuengling. In the taste there is the typical banana and clove elements. There is a little bit of bitterness. There is something with the flavor that makes me feel like i am tasting a Yuengling, possibly the grain bill. Whatever, it's tasty, it works and a good hefeweizen. The brew has a slightly dry finish and is quite clean. Light to medium bodied, spot on for what it is. Overall, colored me impressed. This is a pretty good hefeweizen. (534 characters)

3.61/5  rDev -5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Disclaimer: I think I built this beer up too much in my mind. I am a huge Yuengling fan (been to the brewery several time) and usually get it when the usual BMC selection is on tap. I was very excited to try this finally thinking I had a cheap(er) beer to drink all summer.

A- Great looking beer, that pale yellow, decent head is exactly what you expect with this style
N- My favorite part of the beer- you get the clove spice, sweetness, and bubble gum
T- A little thin but overall I got an overwhelming amount of bubble gum followed by the spice I was expecting.
O- Pretty standard wheat beer, maybe let up on the bubble gum and more focus on the different spices

I'm glad they did this beer for sure, if they make it in cans it will most definitely be my wife's go to summer beer. For me although still a good beer, it's just a little too unbalanced for my tastes. (872 characters)

4.43/5  rDev +16.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Very similar to Sam Adams Summer Ale. In fact pretty identical in all major categories. not the best beer but certainly not the worst and yet i find this beer addicting to my taste buds. So i am going to give this beer average grade because it is nothing new to me (264 characters)

3.43/5  rDev -9.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I am a firm fan of Yuengling, having grown up in Maryland, not far from the source. I had never tried Summer Wheat until just now. I think it is highly enjoyable. The wheat is very strong and there are light fruit notes. Is it a great Weizen? No. Is it enjoyable? Yes. Is it cheap? Yes. So though it doesn't get a really high rating, don't let that dissuade you from grabbing a six on a warm spring or summer day and tipping back. It's a good go to beer if you aren't expecting too much, and makes a great BBQ beer when you have to buy for friends and family. (559 characters)

4.6/5  rDev +21.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 4.25

Man, just when you think that an old dog cannot be taught new tricks, America's Oldest Brewery reaches into their bag and pulls out a hefeweizen!

I did an agitation of the beer while still in the bottle before beginning my aggro pour and I still had some lees in the bottom when finished. I got about a finger of tawny head with moderate retention from the pour. Color was a cloudy orangish-amber (SRM = > 7, < 9). Nose had the traditional bubble gum and banana esters, but the clove was really pronounced. Yay! This is usually achieved by fermenting under lager conditions, but I was assure that such was not the case. Call it serendipity, then, but I am all for it. The mouthfeel was a little thin, but it was the taste that I was really after. Sure, it evinced banana and bubble gum, but clove was the dominant flavor. I remember, as a kid, Clove Life Savers and this was quite reminiscent of them. Finish was semi-dry, refreshing and a perfect choice for a summer's day. I just wish that they would put it in CANs, but that is not forthcoming. (1,055 characters)

3.83/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Poured from bottle into a pint glass

Appearance – The beer pours a nice deeper orange-amber color with a small fizzy pure white foam head. The head fades rather quickly leaving a tiny bit of lace on the sides of the glass.

Smell – The aroma of the beer is a wonderful mix bubblegum, yeast, banana, wheat and spice. The sweeter bubblegum and banana are the strongest of the aromas with the yeast and spice, which consists mostly of clove and coriander, coming in a close second. A lighter wheat as well as some light citrus smells are there as well, mixing with the rest to produce a very nice Hefe aroma.

Taste – The taste begins with a nice wheaty and yeasty taste mixed with some hints of a coriander and clove spice. These spice flavors, while light at first, grow stronger in nature as the taste advances. While there is not too much banana upfront, this taste grows stronger as the taste moves on to the end. A bit of orange and some light grass flavors come to the tongue more at the end as well, leaving a still somewhat more crisp (at least for a Hefe style) and rather clean wheaty and yeasty spiced flavor to linger on the tongue.

Mouthfeel – At only 4.5 % abv., the body of the beer is on the slightly thicker side (again for a 4.5 %’er) with a carbonation level that is on the higher side. The higher carbonation is good for the session style, making it more easy drinking. And while usually a thin body helps with session brews, the flavor profile of this one, being a Hefe with a good deal of yeast, wheat and spice, actually did a nice job with a slightly thicker body. Pretty nice overall.

Overall – This was a very easy drinking Hefe with a low abv., that is a little on the drier side for the style. This coupled with the low price of only $6.50 for a 6 pack makes this one fantastic buy. Good and flavorful +cheap + low abv = one great session brew for the summer months. (1,907 characters)

3.83/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Just came in from working in the yard and I though I would try out. Right now, it is hitting the spot. I could guzzle a gallon of this stuff right now.

Looks great, hazy yellow and a finger and a half head. A little lacing.

The nose is good, bread & spices. You know what your about to get into.

Taste is light, so very drinkable. Perfect for Summertime.

Light on carbonation, easy to throw these back. Easy drinking while still having a descent Hefeweizen presence.

I picked up a 6 pack of these for $6 and some change, at that price point I have to recommend cooling off with this brew on a warm summer day. (615 characters)

3.96/5  rDev +4.2%

12 ounce bottle, one of my friends gave me a bottle to try. Served in a Leinenkugel's Sunset Wheat glass, the beer pours a cloudy golden/orange color with about an inch white head. Head retention and lacing are both decent enough. Aroma is nice, the brew smells like cloves, bananas, and some wheat/grainy malt. It tastes like cloves, bananas, lemon peel, wheat/grainy malt, and a lingering bubblegum finish. Mouthfeel/body is light/medium, it's smooth, refreshing and easy to drink. This was a pleasant surprise, and since the Yuengling seasonals are usually priced well in my area (usually around $6.99 a 6-pack) I'll have to buy some of this for the summer. I liked it. (672 characters)

3.51/5  rDev -7.6%

I poured this into a pint glass. Nice color, cloudy golden, decent head, a foamy white that did not linger.

The aroma blew me away. My favorite smelling hefeweizen by far. The banana notes are so strong, I thought I was actually in for a fruit wheat beer, specifically banana. The banana aroma is a highlight of my hefeweizen experience, so the stronger the better for me, personally. This really got my hopes up.

The banana ester do not carry into the flavor, typical of a hefeweizen. To be fair, Yuengling does not label this beer a hefe, but rather a "traditional weizen beer". I don't know about you, but I thought a traditional weizen was a here.

I really tried to like this more. I really did. The smell was so appealing, I wanted this relationship to work out. The flavor and mouthfeel were quite thin, and I was left wanting more. It is a light, refreshing beer. Not necessarily what I'm looking for.

Kudo's to Yuengling for trying something new, but thin is an experience I've had with this company more than once.

In my opinion, they are trying to keep their bread and butter customers, perhaps a more mainstream group, while stepping over the craft beer line. I'm not sure you can have it both ways. (1,215 characters)

3.22/5  rDev -15.3%

12 ounce bottle - $1.79 at Total Wine & More in Kennesaw, Georgia.

Appearance: Dim, clouded orange body with a thin, whitish head.

Smell: Basic nose smelling simply of malted wheat, thin toasted edge, and hints of clove and banana.

Taste: Slightly sourish wheat malt baseboards with a lil' toasted honey for a low, overall sweetness. Faint, faint lemon, slight clove, and a smidgen of banana. All flavors drop off the palate for the neutral finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium-light body. Medium-plus carbonation.

Overall: It's doable, but not the best wheat, well wheat-anything, by far. (583 characters)

4.66/5  rDev +22.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.75

OK....To be Honest and Fair,I am somewhat of a big time fan of "Yuengling's" beers overall,their Bock may be a bit left of center and has a bit of a Grapefruit note...which is VERY Strange for a "Bock" Beer,..but I Like it just the same..[in a weird way]
But In my Humble Opinion,Yuengling Summer Wheat [Weizen Beer] is WORLD CLASS,and just Amazing in every way,notes of very strong Banana,Vanilla Cream,and citrus,
I smelled the Beer for almost 5 minutes,just savoring these wonderful smells..and the Taste follows the nose ..this Beer is nothing short of Stellar, top notch and MUST be tried if you are a fan of the style...
I Think this is THE Highest score i Have gave on this site [BA] However Yuengling Summer Wheat deserves it in every way shape and form..A PERFECT Weizen Beer....just simply Amazing..WOW!!! (815 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +17.6%

A: lightly cloudy, sunny golden, dinner roll hue... tall 2" stand of foam on the pour that settles down into a constant cap cover, collar clinging to the glass... very little lace

S: pretty damn spot on and inviting... mashed banana, delicate clove, doughy yeast... potent intensity of aromas - way better than most domestic attempts at the style... comes close to the smell of a Paulaner

T: very little bubblegum, if any... once again, yeasty-doughy wheat kernels... smooth, low bitterness of mellow citrus pith, mild clove essence, hint of sweet roll and wheat malt in the aftertaste... decidedly German nuances

M: ideal, light-medium, glucan-y/wheaty roundness up front... washes back clean, lightly grainy... beautiful

O: WTF?! wow! they need to put this out every year - maybe all year even?... this is fantastic! arguably a Paulaner clone... nice job, Yuengling! can't wait to have it again... now, fix your bock (922 characters)

4.08/5  rDev +7.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Few beers inspire an immediate review from me anymore. If I take full notes, it's usually a note I place in my phone and post later. Oddly enough, Yuengling's play at a "Summer Wheat" inspired me to immediately review it. Fair notice, I have a soft spot for the metallic "Yuengling flavor."

Pour from a 12 oz into a Samuel Smith's tulip pint. If I would have known I'd actually enjoy this I would have had two and poured it in a Hefeweizen glass...

Appearance: Quite hazy, typical of the style, perhaps a shade more orange than I'd expect an American "Summer Wheat" Hefeweizen to be. Not too far though, and the white head with slight lacing is appropriate. Surprised.

Scent: Heavily of yeast, coriander and banana. This is actually a surprisingly strong scent. No real hops evident, same with the actual beer.

Taste: This is pretty much what I want from an American brand hefeweizen that advertises itself as a "Summer Wheat." I have had far worse on-style beers, and/or year round examples. This is the first of the sort-of new Yuengling seasonals I've loved.

Mouth: Considering it advertises itself as a "Summer Wheat" and not a Hefeweizen, it is close enough between an American lawnmower beer and the actual style.

Overall: Positively emphasized due to surprise and value. Try it. Please. Yuengling, year-round it. (1,325 characters)

3.33/5  rDev -12.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Picked up a sixer at Rodman's in DC. Looks exactly like Yuengling transformed into a wheat beer--about 2 shades lighter than the Lager, with a big white head that laces in tiers. Nose is to the biscuit malt and spice ends of things, but definitely some banana, pineapple and clove in there too. Taste follows suit, big and malty with some clove, banana and a nice hit of spice. Crisp and pleasantly skunky (probably signature Yuengling yeast) on the end.

In short, it's basically exactly what you would think a Yuengling wheat beer would be, and in no way is that a bad thing. I already wish they would make it all year. (622 characters)

3.59/5  rDev -5.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Pours to a generous permanent white head and hazy orange-gold color. Aroma is bubblegum, banana and cloves. Flavor is overwhelmingly bubble gum with some clove and pale malt and wheat coming through. Mouthfeel is light and easy. Overall, a bit challenging ester-wise but good nonetheless. (288 characters)

3.64/5  rDev -4.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle. Has a cloudy rich golden color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is of spices, banana. Taste is crisp, bananas, spices, a bit of wheat, very refreshing. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and overall is a good sessionable beer that would be great on a hot summer day. (288 characters)

3.75/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Yuengling Summer Wheat brewed by the Yuengling Brewery. This wheat brew pours out a cloudy amber color. I'm not too big on the color of this brew. This brew is non filtered, also a small white head. The smell is nice and clean and fresh and rich. The taste is smooth and crisp. You can pick up some banana and spice. I like the taste of this brew. There is nothing bad out the taste or the mouthfeel of this brew. Overall I'm giving this brew a 3.75 out of 5. I will be picking this brew up again. (497 characters)

3.74/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Poured chilled from a 12oz into a weizen glass, thanks to Stakem for sharing a bottle from his fresh case -cheers!
A - the color is dark golden with thick haze with snow white rocky head with two finger depth and average bead, but excellent lace and retention. The smell has a slight dried fruit ester from the yeast with nice wheat maltiness in the nose. The feel is fruit with moderate carbonation and light yeast spice with mostly dry finish... it could be more carbonated, but is smooth.

The flavor is not overly yeasty, yet still has a faint resemblance to a weizen with mild ripe banana essence with subtle clove spice accent and malt which comes and goes toward a slightly hoppy finish which is nice but unexpected. I guess this is a shift in the Yuengling M.O. since I can't recall a texture or taste of hops in their products, but it is welcome I would not call this a very good Hefeweizen, however it is a pretty drinkable beer so why not - cheers to Yuengling for a very drinkable wheat. (1,000 characters)

3.4/5  rDev -10.5%

Yuengling Summer Wheat from Yuengling Brewery is the first brew I've drank by this company besides their orginal lager. Poured from the bottle into a glass, this brew has the standard wheat beer head that consists of very fine bubbles that dissipate quickly. This appearance of the brew is again, stand wheat beer. Murky brown translucency, a sign of a quality made authentic wheat beer.

Smells like bubblegum and bananas, a more traditional approach to this style. Now I know I'm in for a new experience with this brew.

Initial taste of the aforementioned bubblegum and bananas with an inviting lip-lick of clove. These are all of the attributes I've read about and completely agree with, now that I've had the pleasure of drinking this brew. Nothing lingering on the tongue, although a quick pepperiness comes and goes towards the very end. I like this and feel that it adds to the "summer liveliness" of this seasonal beer.

Overall a pretty good 3.75 . This is the first German-style wheat beer I've consumed. Every other one has been Belgian-style. I'm glad I got this chance to travel the globe yet again in the form of a lovely brew. I will certainly buy this brew again for , you guessed it, hot summer days. (1,221 characters)

3.87/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Dark honey amber with mucky yeast cloud already showing before swirling the rest of the bottle in the glass. A big fluffy white head crowns the beer with a lacing edge and big bubble dimple top. Impressive.

Sweet banana with brown sugar, toasted wheat malts, vanilla creme, powdery yeast cake, nutty lemon cake, and marzipan. Dulled clove esters, but a lot of fruit and cream. This is one boisterous yeast strain. It smells fantastic.

Banana forward with dryness in the form of a steely wheat malt base. Bready, but not terribly big. Some peppery spice notes with a citrus twang near the finish, right before some moderate bitterness takes shape. Has a toasty finish with compounded yeast esters fighting with a robust wheat malt. A little nutty too, with more of that almond, and a powdery sugar dusting; but, not sweet. Very fresh, but revealing is its simplicity. Works very well for the style, offers character, but also reveals some shortcoming ingredient quality. Except the yeast, the yeast is top-rate.

Carbonation is a sudsy dream, but the body could be just a tad creamier. It still has that fat stream viscocity, however. Almost outstanding.

Yuengling has done an exceptional job with this summer weizen. Rising on my personal top ten chart for great value summer case purchase is this beer. Cheers, from the hefe lover! (1,335 characters)

3.79/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

Had this on 2014-04-15 in Columbia, PA

A - Hazy straw-orange with a 1-finger white head that drops pretty quickly with little lace.

S - Clove, light banana, rising bread. More like a German Hefe than a light American Wheat.

T - Citrus followed quickly by clove, even lighter banana, some pepper and a pretty big sourdough malt body with a touch of hop bitterness in the finish that fades quickly. More flavor than I expected and again, more like a German Hefe.

M - Medium body and medium-high carbonation. Sprightly. Refreshing.

O - This one surprised me. It's not the most complex tasting wheat beer that I've ever had, but for the money, it's a good value. Chalk one up to Yuengling. (693 characters)

3.78/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a bottle into a tulip glass at around 40°F

Appearance: Hazy orange golden color. An aggressive pour resulted in a frothy two finger off white head. As with all Yuengling beers I've had, the appearance is appealing.

Smell: Banana bread, spices (cloves), citrus. On the sweet side

Taste: Cloves is prominent with banana and citrus undertones. I also pick up bubble gum towards the end and throughout the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Light with a dry and slight bitter finish. Very drinkable, but could be creamier

Overall: Not my style, but as with other Yuengling beers, this is WAY better than Shock Top or other similarly priced wheat beers. Definitely recommended, because you shouldn't have to pay $10 or more for a six pack of a good American wheat beer. You cannot beat it for the price. Probably my favorite Yuengling beer along with the Traditional. I will be enjoying my fair share of this this summer. Cheers! (931 characters)

Yuengling Summer Wheat from Yuengling Brewery