Yuengling Summer Wheat - Yuengling Brewery

Pennsylvania, United States

Hefeweizen |  4.50% ABV

Availability: Summer

Beer added by: WVbeergeek on 04-03-2014

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Yuengling Summer Wheat Alström Bros
4.1/5  rDev +8.2%

Pours a nice cloudy amber, golden color in a weizen glass with a nice 2 finger head leaving its mark with lacing down the glass.

Smell is great, especially when the bubbles are still present. As the head dissipates the smell seams to subside but I get some clove spice, maybe some banana, yeast and wheat malts.

Taste is really good. I really like a good hefeweizen and this one has all the taste of a good one. I taste the clove, then it turns to a bready yeast that finishes with maybe a little citrus, lemon snap.

Mouthfeel is pretty decent. Has a decent carbonation that tickles the tongue a little.

Overall, a pleasant surprise. I did not expect such a good beer from such a large brewery. I drink their traditional amber lager a good bit and I was real excited to get a six pack of this. I have thoroughly enjoyed it and hope that I can find it in my area soon. I had to drive an hour and a half to find this sixer. (929 characters)

3.11/5  rDev -17.9%
look: 2.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

12oz bottle into a pint glass.

Pours a hazy dark orange with a negligible head. Really no lacing at all and no head retention. A bit of a shame considering what I was expecting for the style.

Aroma is loaded with banana and bubblegum as I would expect but there is a little bit of a "wet dog" off-note. Yeastyness and a bit of grass make up the remainder.

The flavor doesn't really have anything wrong with it but it is a bit mild all-around. Good banana and yeast notes with a touch of light caramel and some hay/grass. Bitterness is very light, just enough to balance out the malt, and the finish is quite dry. Soft mouthfeel that is appropriate for the style.

Overall, not a bad hefeweizen for the price but it is far from outstanding. A good thirst-quencher but not mind-blowing. (789 characters)

3.54/5  rDev -6.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Poured from 12 FL. OZ. bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a cloudy, full bodied yellow-brown wheat beer body with a decent to thin white head.

Smell: Strong banana and clove aroma. Smells tart.

Taste: Nice, light banana wheat beer flavor. Not overpowering in the least.

Mouthfeel: Nice and light, not too tart.

Overall: A nice light wheat beer for the masses and by no means do I mean this in a derogatory way. (425 characters)

3.85/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Yuengling Summer Wheat
12 oz. brown bottle

Well I have to give Yuengling credit for actually making a Bavarian style weizen instead of some lemony or basic-American wheat. I'm really impressed. Just to bring in another yeast strain is something, especially when they didn't really have to - they pretty much could have done anything they'd wanted and they'd still have seen sales increase.

As to the beer, it's a pretty decent version - without looking at the label I immediately knew what it was intended to be. I could go back and forth comparing it to other offerings (from Germany and elsewhere) but I don't think that's necessary. There are 'lighter' versions of the style available in/from Germany, and I'm referring to a range: body, color, malt content, and depth of yeast character. I would put this somewhere in there, but that's not to say it's "not to style", because it is. It's good! In fact, if it has a fault I'd say that it could have better head retention and lacing; everything else is just preference.

Overall it's a decent weizen. If it was placed side-by-side in a blind tasting against some of the better known and more popular German versions you'd clearly note a difference, but against some or the lesser known and smaller breweries you might not... and that says something! I was pleasantly surprised, and if you're a fan of the style you owe it to yourself to at least try it. (1,408 characters)

4.05/5  rDev +6.9%

This is one of my favorite beer styles, and the Yuengling is SHOCKINGLY good at its $6 a sixer price. Delicous, and reasonably complex in its flavor to boot. (158 characters)

4.11/5  rDev +8.4%

Poured from the bottle into a wheat ale glass.

Fluffy and soapy classic head, with a bleach white appearance. Settles from three to one finger with no lacing. Body is a deep orange and rust burnt brown, with a good amount of rising carbonation. Opaque. Looks like a subdued hefe.

Classic hefe nose and large. Huge ester notes of banana, bubblegum, big phenolic spice as well. Large and dominate, but not out of control. Smells like one of the classics very impressive.

Palate matches solidly. Light bodied malt with a little bit of bready density. Some good notice of it more so on the finish. Classic spiced notes of clove and lots of banana mush in the mid palate. Fruit finish, with an almost seltzery carbonation but not quite, but certainly playful.

Quite a big surprise from Yuengling coming up with this, it's a very solid beer. (839 characters)

3.71/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

poured from the bottle into a turbinator.

A: A tight creamy white head. A bit darker and much more clear than other hefe's I have had. This brew has no legs, and the lacing was sparse and soapy. Head settles to a one slender finger to the end.

S: Sweet banana, estery and some light malt. That wheat is present.

T: Sweet tea like notes and wheat, light grassy notes and strong banana and esters present. The malt is contributing to the overall sip with some sweetness too.

M: medium bodied and not overly filling. Creamy, as tight bubbles in head would indicate. Lightly metallic and very,very slightly chalky at ultimate finish.

O: worth a try if you want a summery version of a hefe with less body heaviness. (715 characters)

3.84/5  rDev +1.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

12 oz.

Pours a cloudy lemon honey gold. White head retains as a film.

Smells of cloves, banana, coriander, citrus, and honey.

Tastes is of banana and cloves mixed with a light citrus and honey sweetness and a dry malt.

Medium body with tingly carbonation on the roof of the mouth.

This is a very pleasant surprise and a really solid hefe. Yuengling has been branching out into a few new styles recently and this one shows that they should keep doing it. Not a stellar hefe, but very satisfying and thirst-quenching. (521 characters)

3.74/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

On tap at Macado's

A- pours a hazy and murky golden-orange color with a small creamy white head that has short retention and no lacing

S- crisp wheat aroma up front with notes of banana, clove and lemon peel

T- grainy wheat with a hint of lemon and clove up front, candy-like banana sweetness with that classic bubblegum Hefe flavor, dry finish with more sweet banana on the linger

M- light-medium body with medium spritzy carbonation, foamy mouthfeel with a crisp finish

O- really liked the classic banana and bubblegum flavors, very similar and true to the style. The banana flavor actually reminds me of banana 'Runts' candy. Pleasantly surprised by this one, I could definitely see this becoming part of my summer rotation (731 characters)

4.07/5  rDev +7.4%

I wasn't expecting much when I got this beer, but Yuengling really knocked this one out of the park. This is actually really close to traditional German weizens. Lots of banana and clove in the nose and taste. Light and refreshing. Unlike most of Yuengling's seasonal brews this does not have that "Yuengling Lager" house flavor. If you like weizens I highly recommend giving it a try. (385 characters)

3.74/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I like it!

I was a little skeptical of another seasonal from Yuengling (I've disliked every other one) but I do keep coming back to the original as my go to "cheep" beer here on the east coast. Wheat beers are my favorite style so I figured, "why not?"

I'm glad I did. This is pretty good. Looks great, just like I'd expect from a good German wheat. The head didn't stay around long, but neither did my beer :) Both the smell and taste have a somewhat artificial sweet smell/flavor to them. It's not strong, but something seems just not quite right.

Comparison wise, I suppose this would up against blue moon or shocktop for cheep macro brew and compare well. I would easily take this over shock top any day. It doesn't have that artificial orange flavor of bluemoon, which is good, but I'm still not sure I'd prefer it every time. The 4.5% ABV is a little disappointing, although it'll feel great to enjoy a few of these after mowing the lawn. Fortunately here in VA it's at least a $1-2 / 6-pack cheeper that blue moon so that settles it. I have a new favorite cheep wheat beer! (1,084 characters)

3.45/5  rDev -9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Tried one of these at my local and thought to write the review while I was consuming. I wouldn't have known about it, but there was POP advertising right next to me at the end of the bar.

A: Cloudy, murky yellow with a touch of amber color. Little head and lace.

S: Just like it should is the only thing I could think of. Juicy fruit, slightly sweet.

M: Creamy on the pull, taste hole in the center, and a candy aftertaste.

T: More Juicy Fruit. Very candy like. Wheat husk at the bottom and seemed like a powdered drink mix was added.

O: Even with the corn adjunct it didn't put me off. It did feel like a cheaper beer, maybe on par with Blue Moon. I've had worse wheat beers, but compared to Yuengling's other recent season attempts, this rises to the the top. (770 characters)

3.77/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Pours a hazed orange color with a white head. Aroma of banana and a bit of clove, not so much Yuengling. In the taste there is the typical banana and clove elements. There is a little bit of bitterness. There is something with the flavor that makes me feel like i am tasting a Yuengling, possibly the grain bill. Whatever, it's tasty, it works and a good hefeweizen. The brew has a slightly dry finish and is quite clean. Light to medium bodied, spot on for what it is. Overall, colored me impressed. This is a pretty good hefeweizen. (534 characters)

3.61/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Disclaimer: I think I built this beer up too much in my mind. I am a huge Yuengling fan (been to the brewery several time) and usually get it when the usual BMC selection is on tap. I was very excited to try this finally thinking I had a cheap(er) beer to drink all summer.

A- Great looking beer, that pale yellow, decent head is exactly what you expect with this style
N- My favorite part of the beer- you get the clove spice, sweetness, and bubble gum
T- A little thin but overall I got an overwhelming amount of bubble gum followed by the spice I was expecting.
O- Pretty standard wheat beer, maybe let up on the bubble gum and more focus on the different spices

I'm glad they did this beer for sure, if they make it in cans it will most definitely be my wife's go to summer beer. For me although still a good beer, it's just a little too unbalanced for my tastes. (872 characters)

4.43/5  rDev +16.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Very similar to Sam Adams Summer Ale. In fact pretty identical in all major categories. not the best beer but certainly not the worst and yet i find this beer addicting to my taste buds. So i am going to give this beer average grade because it is nothing new to me (264 characters)

3.43/5  rDev -9.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I am a firm fan of Yuengling, having grown up in Maryland, not far from the source. I had never tried Summer Wheat until just now. I think it is highly enjoyable. The wheat is very strong and there are light fruit notes. Is it a great Weizen? No. Is it enjoyable? Yes. Is it cheap? Yes. So though it doesn't get a really high rating, don't let that dissuade you from grabbing a six on a warm spring or summer day and tipping back. It's a good go to beer if you aren't expecting too much, and makes a great BBQ beer when you have to buy for friends and family. (559 characters)

4.6/5  rDev +21.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 4.25

Man, just when you think that an old dog cannot be taught new tricks, America's Oldest Brewery reaches into their bag and pulls out a hefeweizen!

I did an agitation of the beer while still in the bottle before beginning my aggro pour and I still had some lees in the bottom when finished. I got about a finger of tawny head with moderate retention from the pour. Color was a cloudy orangish-amber (SRM = > 7, < 9). Nose had the traditional bubble gum and banana esters, but the clove was really pronounced. Yay! This is usually achieved by fermenting under lager conditions, but I was assure that such was not the case. Call it serendipity, then, but I am all for it. The mouthfeel was a little thin, but it was the taste that I was really after. Sure, it evinced banana and bubble gum, but clove was the dominant flavor. I remember, as a kid, Clove Life Savers and this was quite reminiscent of them. Finish was semi-dry, refreshing and a perfect choice for a summer's day. I just wish that they would put it in CANs, but that is not forthcoming. (1,055 characters)

3.83/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Poured from bottle into a pint glass

Appearance – The beer pours a nice deeper orange-amber color with a small fizzy pure white foam head. The head fades rather quickly leaving a tiny bit of lace on the sides of the glass.

Smell – The aroma of the beer is a wonderful mix bubblegum, yeast, banana, wheat and spice. The sweeter bubblegum and banana are the strongest of the aromas with the yeast and spice, which consists mostly of clove and coriander, coming in a close second. A lighter wheat as well as some light citrus smells are there as well, mixing with the rest to produce a very nice Hefe aroma.

Taste – The taste begins with a nice wheaty and yeasty taste mixed with some hints of a coriander and clove spice. These spice flavors, while light at first, grow stronger in nature as the taste advances. While there is not too much banana upfront, this taste grows stronger as the taste moves on to the end. A bit of orange and some light grass flavors come to the tongue more at the end as well, leaving a still somewhat more crisp (at least for a Hefe style) and rather clean wheaty and yeasty spiced flavor to linger on the tongue.

Mouthfeel – At only 4.5 % abv., the body of the beer is on the slightly thicker side (again for a 4.5 %’er) with a carbonation level that is on the higher side. The higher carbonation is good for the session style, making it more easy drinking. And while usually a thin body helps with session brews, the flavor profile of this one, being a Hefe with a good deal of yeast, wheat and spice, actually did a nice job with a slightly thicker body. Pretty nice overall.

Overall – This was a very easy drinking Hefe with a low abv., that is a little on the drier side for the style. This coupled with the low price of only $6.50 for a 6 pack makes this one fantastic buy. Good and flavorful +cheap + low abv = one great session brew for the summer months. (1,907 characters)

3.83/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Just came in from working in the yard and I though I would try out. Right now, it is hitting the spot. I could guzzle a gallon of this stuff right now.

Looks great, hazy yellow and a finger and a half head. A little lacing.

The nose is good, bread & spices. You know what your about to get into.

Taste is light, so very drinkable. Perfect for Summertime.

Light on carbonation, easy to throw these back. Easy drinking while still having a descent Hefeweizen presence.

I picked up a 6 pack of these for $6 and some change, at that price point I have to recommend cooling off with this brew on a warm summer day. (615 characters)

3.96/5  rDev +4.5%

12 ounce bottle, one of my friends gave me a bottle to try. Served in a Leinenkugel's Sunset Wheat glass, the beer pours a cloudy golden/orange color with about an inch white head. Head retention and lacing are both decent enough. Aroma is nice, the brew smells like cloves, bananas, and some wheat/grainy malt. It tastes like cloves, bananas, lemon peel, wheat/grainy malt, and a lingering bubblegum finish. Mouthfeel/body is light/medium, it's smooth, refreshing and easy to drink. This was a pleasant surprise, and since the Yuengling seasonals are usually priced well in my area (usually around $6.99 a 6-pack) I'll have to buy some of this for the summer. I liked it. (672 characters)

3.51/5  rDev -7.4%

I poured this into a pint glass. Nice color, cloudy golden, decent head, a foamy white that did not linger.

The aroma blew me away. My favorite smelling hefeweizen by far. The banana notes are so strong, I thought I was actually in for a fruit wheat beer, specifically banana. The banana aroma is a highlight of my hefeweizen experience, so the stronger the better for me, personally. This really got my hopes up.

The banana ester do not carry into the flavor, typical of a hefeweizen. To be fair, Yuengling does not label this beer a hefe, but rather a "traditional weizen beer". I don't know about you, but I thought a traditional weizen was a here.

I really tried to like this more. I really did. The smell was so appealing, I wanted this relationship to work out. The flavor and mouthfeel were quite thin, and I was left wanting more. It is a light, refreshing beer. Not necessarily what I'm looking for.

Kudo's to Yuengling for trying something new, but thin is an experience I've had with this company more than once.

In my opinion, they are trying to keep their bread and butter customers, perhaps a more mainstream group, while stepping over the craft beer line. I'm not sure you can have it both ways. (1,215 characters)

3.22/5  rDev -15%

12 ounce bottle - $1.79 at Total Wine & More in Kennesaw, Georgia.

Appearance: Dim, clouded orange body with a thin, whitish head.

Smell: Basic nose smelling simply of malted wheat, thin toasted edge, and hints of clove and banana.

Taste: Slightly sourish wheat malt baseboards with a lil' toasted honey for a low, overall sweetness. Faint, faint lemon, slight clove, and a smidgen of banana. All flavors drop off the palate for the neutral finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium-light body. Medium-plus carbonation.

Overall: It's doable, but not the best wheat, well wheat-anything, by far. (583 characters)

4.66/5  rDev +23%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.75

OK....To be Honest and Fair,I am somewhat of a big time fan of "Yuengling's" beers overall,their Bock may be a bit left of center and has a bit of a Grapefruit note...which is VERY Strange for a "Bock" Beer,..but I Like it just the same..[in a weird way]
But In my Humble Opinion,Yuengling Summer Wheat [Weizen Beer] is WORLD CLASS,and just Amazing in every way,notes of very strong Banana,Vanilla Cream,and citrus,
I smelled the Beer for almost 5 minutes,just savoring these wonderful smells..and the Taste follows the nose ..this Beer is nothing short of Stellar, top notch and MUST be tried if you are a fan of the style...
I Think this is THE Highest score i Have gave on this site [BA] However Yuengling Summer Wheat deserves it in every way shape and form..A PERFECT Weizen Beer....just simply Amazing..WOW!!! (815 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +17.9%

A: lightly cloudy, sunny golden, dinner roll hue... tall 2" stand of foam on the pour that settles down into a constant cap cover, collar clinging to the glass... very little lace

S: pretty damn spot on and inviting... mashed banana, delicate clove, doughy yeast... potent intensity of aromas - way better than most domestic attempts at the style... comes close to the smell of a Paulaner

T: very little bubblegum, if any... once again, yeasty-doughy wheat kernels... smooth, low bitterness of mellow citrus pith, mild clove essence, hint of sweet roll and wheat malt in the aftertaste... decidedly German nuances

M: ideal, light-medium, glucan-y/wheaty roundness up front... washes back clean, lightly grainy... beautiful

O: WTF?! wow! they need to put this out every year - maybe all year even?... this is fantastic! arguably a Paulaner clone... nice job, Yuengling! can't wait to have it again... now, fix your bock (922 characters)

4.08/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Few beers inspire an immediate review from me anymore. If I take full notes, it's usually a note I place in my phone and post later. Oddly enough, Yuengling's play at a "Summer Wheat" inspired me to immediately review it. Fair notice, I have a soft spot for the metallic "Yuengling flavor."

Pour from a 12 oz into a Samuel Smith's tulip pint. If I would have known I'd actually enjoy this I would have had two and poured it in a Hefeweizen glass...

Appearance: Quite hazy, typical of the style, perhaps a shade more orange than I'd expect an American "Summer Wheat" Hefeweizen to be. Not too far though, and the white head with slight lacing is appropriate. Surprised.

Scent: Heavily of yeast, coriander and banana. This is actually a surprisingly strong scent. No real hops evident, same with the actual beer.

Taste: This is pretty much what I want from an American brand hefeweizen that advertises itself as a "Summer Wheat." I have had far worse on-style beers, and/or year round examples. This is the first of the sort-of new Yuengling seasonals I've loved.

Mouth: Considering it advertises itself as a "Summer Wheat" and not a Hefeweizen, it is close enough between an American lawnmower beer and the actual style.

Overall: Positively emphasized due to surprise and value. Try it. Please. Yuengling, year-round it. (1,325 characters)

Yuengling Summer Wheat from Yuengling Brewery