Yuengling Traditional Lager - Yuengling Brewery

Yuengling Brewery visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

American Amber / Red Lager |  4.40% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-28-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Yuengling Traditional Lager Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,619 | Hads: 5,931
3.82/5  rDev +13.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

When you are looking for simply a classic lager. This is it. This is a solid "go to" beer when at a restaurant that doesn't sell any decent crafts. Yuengling will always have a place in my heart as an enjoyable cheap beer.

Had this out of a can. Smelled like budweiser. Taste like a fuller flavored budweiser. Feel is alright. I had it at a wedding just to try with a few friends. I'm not a budweiser fan so this didn't do it for me, though I prefer this beer to that. Not terrible, but just really similar to the smell and taste of budweiser.

3.39/5  rDev +0.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: Clean golden amber, with an ample head of fine off-white suds. Attractive web of lacing.

Aroma: Caramel malts, grain, toffee, a bit of fruitiness.

Taste: Rich and caramel-malty, both smooth and easy to drink. This amber lager is infinitely better than all the American adjunct “junk” lagers, and certainly one I’d not turn down if offered again. Maybe not a completely perfect brew, but one that certainly pleases for the price point.

3.14/5  rDev -6.8%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Decent enough traditional lager. Grassy and dry with lively carbonation. Easy drinkability. A little sweetness and bread in there but has a hint of lemony citron that cuts through. There are many worse offerings out there.

1.66/5  rDev -50.7%

Disappointingly poor. The first few I tried, I liked. But, as I became more familiar, I began to notice a sourness. It tastes good, but there was an unacceptable "extra" taste to their beer. I did not find that same sour taste in their Light version. I will write it off to the green bottle. Their light comes in a brown bottle and it actually tastes better, to me, than the Traditional Lager. Certainly better than most, but I would suggest they stop the green bottle use and get all their beer in brown bottles.

3.61/5  rDev +7.1%

Dark amber in color with a thick 2 finger head that quickly dissipated.
Malty, grassy and bready in the aroma. Good amount of carbonation gives that prickley bite on the end of your tongue. Taste is sweet malts, grass, bread and light hop presence. This to me is just a good representation of the style. Smooth well balanced and very drinkable. Not a world class beer, but in my opinion, a very enjoyable Good beer!

3.58/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

24 ounce can poured into pint glass. Light copper in color. Small beige head. Smells of corn, faint caramel, malts, grain, corn. Taste is caramel, some adjunct grain, corn, some hints of toffee. Good carb, and very easy and refreshing to drink. I've also had it on tap and in the bottle, but much prefer this beer from the can. Much better option than any of the other adjunct type styles.

3.53/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Look - dark golden with thin white head, zero lacing

Aroma - strong yeast, malts

Flavor - toasted malt, follows the nose, some caramel hints

Feel - medium body, dry and crisp yeasty finish

Overall - I'm not a macro beer guy but this is the one I can most tolerate as a PA boy...I do like the toasted flavor

3.75/5  rDev +11.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

This was my go to beer when I lived on the East Coast. Hopefully one day they will ship west past the Mississippi. If you're out East, definitely give it a try if you've never had one before.

The beer pours a nice dark golden color every time.

The taste is great and never gets old.

The smell is average, nothing too special.

Ah the memories, wish I had one right now. Drink on!

3.24/5  rDev -3.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Poured from draft in a translucent copper cold. Smells of slight caramel sweetness with a wet cardboard note. Body is thin and watery. There is a gentle caramel sweetness that is fleeting across the tongue. Aftertaste is mildly offensive with notes of wet paper.

3.88/5  rDev +15.1%

12 fl oz. can, no apparent canned on date. My first encounter with a can of Yuengling, gifted to me from a friend.

Poured into a Duvel tulip glass.

A - It pours a nice coppery amber body- a touch darker than I expected. About a finger and a half of frothy off-white head. Leaves some good sticky scattered lacing behind. Looks good, considering it's reputation.

S - A creamy, grainy, almost doughy sort of aroma. Sweet & malty, to be sure. Some brown bread perhaps, and maybe just a slight note of floral alcohol / metallics.

T - Taste follows the nose: sweetened, creamy, & grainy all around. Toasty & nutty, with a bit of bready malts and brown bread. A bit of traditional doughy earthy yeast in there as well.

M - The feel is crisp, smooth, & creamy. A nice dry, yeasty finish. Medium-light bodied, but drinkable and quenching.

Overall, I was pleasantly surprised with my first can of this stuff. I would rank it right up there with Samuel Adams Boston Lager in terms of flavor and drinkability. This one is packing a lot of flavor for a low abv. Would love to get more of this stuff.

Yuengling Traditional Lager -----4/5.

4.69/5  rDev +39.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

No time for a full blown review but let me just say that this is my all time favorite commercial brew. Unbelievable flavor for the price. Beer snobs who turn their nose up at this one are missing the boat. Incredibly refreshing and satisfying. Outstanding in every aspect from color to flavor!

3.66/5  rDev +8.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

L: Pours a brownish amber with two fingers of foam and sparse lacing. (Though this American classic drinks beautifully from a can)
S: Notes of wheat flour and malted grains with a subtle hint of charcoal smoke.
T: A light and grainy "American" with an initial rush of toasted bread, malt, toffee, and occasionally a slight metallic aftertaste.
F: Smooth and refreshing with ample carbonation that almost foams at each sip.
O: Simply stated this is my favorite large-scale traditional American brew. Its balance and hints of toasty malts set it apart from its macro peers- even its metallic imperfections pale in comparison to any old labels coming out of Milwaukee.

4.38/5  rDev +30%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This is my go to beer if I'm not feeling up to having a craft brew, that, or if I'm having hot wings. Anyway, onto the review. Note: I always get this on tap as, to me, it tastes the best.

Look: Poured into a pint glass, this beer is a nice amber color with a foamy white head which usually laces the glass.

Smell: Like a typical lager, you get that good ole yeast/bread smell though this one has something else that I can't quite pinpoint.

Taste: On tap, if really fresh, the taste of bread hits you first but finishes with, I think, roasted malts and/or caramel.

Feel: Good amount of carbonation at first, but it goes down smooth and crisp like one would expect.

Overall: Pretty good Lager, then again I'm a PA resident and this is the beer most of us live on, though I have had others that are better. If you are strapped for cash, this usually runs about 3 to 4 dollars per glass on tap. Cheers Everyone!

3.78/5  rDev +12.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

As far as an American lager is concerned, this beer is tops. Every chance I get to head out to the east coast, I am good for drinking a couple cases and bringing a couple more back to Chicago with me.

2.55/5  rDev -24.3%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Has cold from a 330ml bottle at DC.
Watery. Very clean. There is some taste of malt and hop in the beginning, but it dissipated quickly.
It is better than most macrobrews, but it is not that great. One can still get it quite cheaply up here though, 6.99 per six pack.

3.67/5  rDev +8.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

From a 12 fl. oz. can

Appearance: Dark amber with a good lasting lace.

Aroma: Grains and yeast. Not skunky. Seems promising.

Taste: Grainy and not bitter, sweet and smooth. Not offensive at all.

Mouthfeel: Good carbonation. Very enjoyable.

Overall: A good AAL beer, very drinkable anytime of the year.

3.84/5  rDev +13.9%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Golden color. off-white head which fades quickly. Smell is yeasty and grainy. Taste dominated by sweet malts; little bitterness. Smooth, medium bodied. One of my favorite cheaper beers; can't beat it for the price. I always buy a case when I'm on the East Coast.

4.5/5  rDev +33.5%

Hands Down Yuengling Traditional Lager is my Favorite American Beer. Balanced perfectly, while I think Original Sam Adams is too bitter. The Alcohol content is lower than most American Beers, which makes is more enjoyable in my opinion. I first Discovered this beer while stopping over at PHL airport, and 10 years later, I was finally able to drink it again while working in the USA. I believe its taste balance of mild bitters and sweetness with the perfect amount of carbonation makes it superior to the fizz water of the Mega American Beer Companies produce. Anytime in the eastern US, it is my Beer of choice everytime.

3.81/5  rDev +13.1%

Definitely one of the best "true" American lagers. True to taste with little to no bitterness. Malt, I think is perfect- overall a great beer to break open if there will be multiple bottles being downed. Cheers

3.36/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.5

24 Oz. can, no date. Threshold beer glass.

Appearance: Pours a remarkably beautiful dark copper/amber, with a thick, foamy 1 finger head. Tons of streaming tiny bubble carbonation. Surprisingly, a decent amount of lacing. Retains a little island of white in the center of the glass.

Aroma: Beer, plus. There is a beery, graininess that is typical of American adjunct lagers, but the characteristic sweetness and sourness seems bolder here than the other American lager I had recently.

Taste: Pretty sweet arrival, light grainy mid-palate, little sourness right before the finish, which is surprisingly clean. Lingering toastiness. A little unpleasant adjunct grain on the mid palate. A little alcohol comes through right after the swallow. When I want an AAL I don't want it hanging out on my palate for long. This actually does have a little finish, and it's not super. Gets worse as it warms.

Mouthfeel: Highly carbonated, but not as carbonated as you would expect. Wet, lagery. A little lingering slickness; not as clean as one would expect.

Overall: If you want an AAL, this is definitely a great choice, but it is not quite typical of the style. It truly is an American amber lager. If you are in a dive bar, or looking to get cheap beer for a party, this is the #1 choice.

4.79/5  rDev +42.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Why would you pay a helluva lot more for a helluva lot less when it comes to beer?
Hard to go wrong with the crown prince from the oldest brewery in the country.
Maybe the best bang for the buck of any beer in America.
Especially when you consider the price.
You could pay a whole lot more for a whole lot less when it comes to quality.
No pretext.
This beer does exactly what it is intended to do, within the price range.
A nice, smooth flavorful brew that goes down well, just about anytime, anywhere.

3.11/5  rDev -7.7%

Served from a 12oz. can. Amber in color with quite good head retention. Streaks of lace left behind. Not much of a powerful aroma, but not offensive either. A whiff yields toasted grain and hints of toffee. Flavor profile has a more robust malt profile than any macro lager. Hop profile is neutral -- balancing bitterness but nothing that excites the palate. Good carbonation that's not fizzy.

Yuengling, ubiquitous in parts of the northeast, is a couple notches above the MillerCoorsBud fare. It's also a couple notches below the likes of Sam Adams Boston Lager or Brooklyn Lager. Good flavor for a 4.4% ABV beer.

3.8/5  rDev +12.8%

Look: Two fingers of creamy white head has some surprisingly good retention. Color is somewhere between copper and amber. Pretty active carbonation.

Smell: Sweet caramel and toasted grains.

Taste: More of the same but a slight metallic bite on the finish.

Feel: Light to medium in body. Pretty chewy for a lager.

Overall: This was a bit of a weird whale for me. Living in Colorado this beer isn't in distro out here and I always oddly wanted to try it. So I got a sixer on my recent trip to Ohio and pleasantly enjoyed it. Hope it makes it to Colorado sooner rather than later. Thumbs up.

3.67/5  rDev +8.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Before there were micro brews there was Yuengling Lager. When I was in school nothing else compared. Consistent straight ahead beer. Best on tap, avoid the bottles - after 30 years of drinking it the green bottles are consistently skunked. Order a burger & a Lager. You can't go wrong.

Yuengling Traditional Lager from Yuengling Brewery