Yuengling Traditional Lager - Yuengling Brewery

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-28-2001

to view more.
Ratings: 5,642 | Reviews: 1,646
2.88/5  rDev -15.3%

I used to really like Yuengling and I don't dislike now. It just doesn't have the full taste I've become used to. It's still much better than the most, if not all, of the big boys.

4.14/5  rDev +21.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Great PA beer that is good to drink all day!!

3.37/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

For the low price, one of the best out there.

2.67/5  rDev -21.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

The beer America grew up on. Traditional lager with little excitement. Your grandfather's beer.

1.66/5  rDev -51.2%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.25

I wish this was a beer I could enjoy. Not a fan.

3.43/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Sweet caramel malt profile - an enjoyable standard.

4.27/5  rDev +25.6%

Finally an American brew that tastes refreshing and can be held to quality standards from a "micro"

1.3/5  rDev -61.8%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

I wouldn't lie too you - not my cup of tea.

3.35/5  rDev -1.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.25

Hey, easy drinking lager so if that is what you are looking for then you can't go wrong with this.

3.45/5  rDev +1.5%

A simple, great tasting beer that is a great choice when your wallet is light. It's also a great choice in general. Much like how you sometimes just want a simple cup of black coffee, this hits the spot when you just want a no frills lager.

3.89/5  rDev +14.4%

Nice golden amber look. It had a little head. Taste was really great for the price.

3.67/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

My favorite go to cheap beer when I can get it.

4.79/5  rDev +40.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Fantasic brew. Probably the best lower price beer out there.

2.85/5  rDev -16.2%

Used to love this beer. Craft beer has changed me. I'm just used to more robust flavor. :)

3.28/5  rDev -3.5%

A staple before I moved to New England where it is much harder to find. Not a great beer, but definitely a great value beer and better than most mass-produced domestic lagers.

3.77/5  rDev +10.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

My go to beer cheap beats all other beer in it price point have had thousands and will have thousand more can is way better than bottle or draft

3.31/5  rDev -2.6%

Yuengling is a party staple. It's agreeable to most palates and sessionable with mates.
This amber beer is a common taste of my smaller hometown, an ode to the late night ragers of youth; but as with all things we must outgrow it. It's an American Classic, which could be seen as the best of the worst as has been stated before. I believe it should be an easy convert from anyone on the Budweiser, Coors, Miller, or Michelob party trains for someone who likes drinking beer and socializing. Then again at that point it's a matter of preference or affiliation.
If Budweiser is the GM of American beers, than Yuengling is Ford, a family affair.
Not a terrible thing to have on standby at an unfamiliar pub or restaurant when nothing else seems appealing, though not much beyond that. A toast to mediocrity! If you pay more than $2.00 a bottle I would rethink the choice. Pay the extra few for a nice craft beer at dinner, you'll not regret it.

2.25/5  rDev -33.8%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

best of the worst award

4.45/5  rDev +30.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Oldest brewery for a reason, their traditional must have felt like craft beer before craft beer was around

2.84/5  rDev -16.5%

For longer than I have been leagally able to enjoy beer, people in my town refer to beer as all inclusively consisting of 1 of 2 options: "Lager or Premium" with both referring to Yuengling.

Cult-like brand loyalty and historical reference are the only things this beer has going for it. If I am forced to drink a macro brewed beer...or an adjunct laden lager, I will force this down with a fake smile on my face as to not offend the locals. Brace yourself for the inevitable headache even if you drink just one.

3.5/5  rDev +2.9%

When I want something lighter and readily available on the cheap this is what I go to. Anyone who's a Bud fan should be turned on to this to get them off the swill for life. Light and refreshing enough for a summer's day yet still all the flavor of a decent lager.

Can't wait to get to East to drink

3.99/5  rDev +17.4%

Has a unique taste. Very carbonated but good

3.59/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

I used to look forward to out-of-state trips where I could drink this. (I lived in MIchigan most of my life where this is not available to purchase). Now that I've been in Ohio over a year, the novelty has already passed. This is still a decent beer if I want something cheap and simple, I like it better than most of its peers, but I'm not as excited about it as I once was.

Not craft beer, not supposed to be craft beer, but if I find myself at a binge drinking, beer-guzzling party, a case of this is a fairly good choice.

3.21/5  rDev -5.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

I've heard plenty about this beer, so I was very excited to give it a whirl during my trip to NYC. I can't complain about the value of this beer. It's well crafted, yet well priced. I thought it was better on tap than out of the can, but it was far from the worst thing I've tasted.

to view more.