Microbrew Invitational

Style: American Amber / Red Lager

Added by BeerAdvocate on 08-28-2001

Reviews: 1,649 | Ratings: 6,133
3.78/5  rDev +12.2%

Well refrigerated from a bottle. This beer has a really nice amber color and above average carbonation. This tastes like a solidly mainstream lager with lots of hops and mild malt flavors. Overall it feels heavier/fuller than many other lagers, but noticeably less alcohol than an IPA.

3.66/5  rDev +8.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

The beer I generally consumed in my 20's and early 30's.

Pours an amber to dark gold color with minimal head. Smell has a little grain to it and a hint of hops. Taste has an over layer of syrup to it but mostly is malt with a little corn and a finish with hops. The finish is clean and does not linger long. Mouthfeel is light, a small amount of carbonation. Overall a decent lager, certainly one I enjoyed earlier on and one that is nice to return to and take a break from craft beers for a while.

3.57/5  rDev +5.9%

A good American beer that is easy to drink. Tastes of grain, malt, and bit of hops. My typical goto at a standard bar and something that I could drink plenty of because of how light it is.

3.53/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

A good American beer still made in the USA. My standard beer for sports bars or anyplace that only offers American beers like Miller or Bud. I often buy the kegs for bbq's or parties. Good taste, not heavy.

3.28/5  rDev -2.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Dark gold color with a decent head. Smells like grains and aromas of sweet maltiness. It tastes somewhat bland, with a light creamy and malt note, with a very modestly hoppy aftertaste. Taste is not bad at all. The mouthfeel is light and easy going. Overall, this is not a bad beer at all. For the price and level of availability, this should be a go to beer for starters who want a session beer. I would highly recommend this beer as one of the best of macro American adjuncts.

4.38/5  rDev +30%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.75

12 oz can from 6 pack - $6.75 locally

Honestly I love this beer and it's a simple go to for anyone looking for a cheaper lager to session with or to bring to a party that won't cause the beer snobs to scuff their noses upward at your choice.

Pours a brown red (on the darker side) and gives a unique smell of roasted malt and a subtle hoppiness that is truly unique to the lager style and does not have too much of a head even with straight pouring - lacing minimal. This beer is very flavourful but has a cheap syrupy feel to its malt character - generally you'll notice mostly malt and then a hint of corn and hops. The mouthfeel doesn't get overwhelmed by carbonation and there is more of a balance than other inexpensive lagers. Great choice.

3.84/5  rDev +13.9%

As a Pennsylvanian drinking Yuengling Traditional Lager is natural for me.
Look: Reddish brown (amber)
Smell: A little skunky (Bottle) Grainy from a can
Taste: Malt a little bit of hops
Feel: Medium thickness, carbonation
Overall: Very refreshing, can't go wrong with the lager. For some reason the can and bottle taste different probably due to the green bottle, I prefer the bottle over the can, because I think it has a stronger taste

This beer is what started the craft beer thing with me, so it does have a warm place in my heart. It pours an amber color, with a fairly thick head. There isn't much nose there. The taste circa 2005 blew me away. Today, it's still good, some malts, some hops, but I've tasted so much better. For what it is, it's good, and will always hold a special place in my heart. Whenever I'm in Yuengling land, I'll get some.

3.33/5  rDev -1.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

So much better at it's price point than the competitors. 24 cans for 17.50. Yeah it's not gonna blow you away. Yeah it has corn in it. But cmon.. im paying around 72 cents per can, and it DOES taste good.

Far more "complex" than other adjuncts. A malty sweet flavor, a sort of creaminess, and a very slight hop bitterness. Was interesting to learn they use cascade as well as cluster (im sure in minuscule amounts) but it made sense as there is sort of that citrusy zing to it albeit very subdued.

Its not a great beer by any stretch, but its very solid and if price vs taste is taken into consideration, this is an incredible value beer.

Let me say this first, I am no fan of American lagers. That said, I believe this is the best American lager in that it is different and better than the Bud clones.

Dark for a lager, almost Amber. Foamy white head. Smells hoppy like most American lagers, but the taste is more well-balanced, probably because of the roasted malt. Extremely drinkable and all-around very well made beer.

3.25/5  rDev -3.6%

The more things change the more they stay the same. Yuengling has tweaked their basic lager recipe over the years but kept the same profile which is an above average brew for the common man. Works for me.

Clear amber tone with mild/medium malt aroma. Little hop presence (had to search for them) but a malty richness absent from other AAL brands. Oh it's not first list, nor does it pretend to be, but a Mecerdes won't get you to the grocery store any better than a Chevy.

Taste good, widely available, bargain price, what else can I say.

3.83/5  rDev +13.6%

Poured from 24 oz can into 10 oz mug. Pours an attractive amber color, pretty see through with a fluffy head that dissipated rather quickly leaving a little bit of lacing.
Smells earthy and pretty malty, maybe some corn thrown in there.
Tastes of corn, malt and maybe a tad bit of hay? Very pleasant, no bitterness. Not overly sweet, however. Damn good.
Mouthful isn't super thick, but it's very drinkable and goes down rather nicely. Medium body and a tad bit carbonated.
Overall, very very pleasant to drink and one of my favorite lagers to date.

3.46/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

One of the better macro options, in my opinion. I always keep some in the fridge at home for easy drinking with friends! Pours a light reddish brown with a thin head that leaves some okay lacing. Smell is corn, grain, and some faintly toasted malt. Taste is the same. Not bitter at all, but also not overly sweet. Nice sweetly earthy type flavor that lingers pleasantly between sips. Feel is moderately carbonated and medium bodied. Definitely a good option for its price point.

3.52/5  rDev +4.5%

Beer pours a dark golden color. Nothing outstanding about the smell taste or feel - its a simple lager. However, this was the first beer I loved and I still love it. Its just a nostalgic taste for me with having grown up near Philly and everyone in my family drinking this beer growing up. I've always described it as the best cheap beer money can buy. Its a really good drinkable beer.

3.01/5  rDev -10.7%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

Quick review: A nice everyday beer. A far cry from Blandweiser. Crisp clean mouth feel with no bitter aftertaste. A staple on draft in my local bars. Goes nice with most fare. Can have more than a few without feeling pickled. I keep this one on hand most of the time. Slight amber color. Head disappears quickly but this one goes down easy, so not much of a factor. Highly recommended for an all day beverage during the game.

I have been to the Yuengling brewery. They still ferment their beer in a cave. That's pretty sweet! If a bar does not have Iron City I then ask for a Yuengling. This beer is a step up in taste from Budweiser, Miller and Coors. It's a good beer. Did you know Budweiser copied the eagle of Yuengling? Budweiser sucks!

3.26/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This was one of my first loves of beer. Now that I am in love with hops, when I turn to a lager I need to readjust my taste buds. Consistent American beer that is a fairly good buy.

3.59/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

APPEARANCE: Dark golden. About 2 fingers of off white foamy head that recedes in a few moments and leaves a ring. Mild, short lived lacing down the glass. Plenty of small bubbles rising.
AROMA: Toasted bread, grassy, super slight amount of sulfur, a bit of caramel, and to me what I perceive as corn husk.
TASTE: Basically, a lot like the smell.
FEEL: Medium thin body, nice full carbonation, dry finish.
OVERALL: I think it's an alright, refreshing lager. If you want a touch more flavor for a few more calories than a standard light beer, this might work well.

2.85/5  rDev -15.4%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Not available in my area and just got some from a friend who does quite a bit of sales. Buddy claimed it was very popular and my guess is the history of the brewery and longevity of the beer is what makes it popular in its area, or simply the area has different tastes than the upper midwest?

Good beer but nothing overly special. Has decent body and not much of an aftertaste - for me this is not a go to beer, though it IS a good beer.

4.65/5  rDev +38%

WOW. No really, WOW. This stuff is ridiculously wonderful. It has a great taste, not too heavy not too light, not too hoppy not too plain Jane, not too carbonated, good smell. All relative to the price WHICH by the way is pretty darn cheap, but then again I was in Pennsylvania where it is brewed so it may be cheaper there. Put it this way, they should raise the price. It's WAY better than the Bud/Miller/Coors line up. Excellent Beer!!!

3.44/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a tulip glass. Medium clear amber color with a 3 finger white head. Nose is a faint bread yeast. This reminded me of the smell from being outside the HS Bakery in Fells Point, Baltimore. Sweet on the tip of the tongue, malt and the faintest of hops. Moderate carbonation and body. This is the most drinkable of the American non-craft beers and the only one I will drink. No Miller, Coors or Bud passes over my tongue. And . . . this is an independent, not part of a international mega corp like Bud. When I have a party and do not want to waste good craft beer on non-caring beer drinkers, I serve this. Great with wings, steamed crabs and 'cue.

3.55/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Gorgeous beer. Tastes better than most mass produced lagers out there. Never offensive and at this low abv it's totally crushable. Not a bad choice when nothing but AAL are available.

3.79/5  rDev +12.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a bottle into a tumbler glass. The green bottle might be skunky, so my review will be reflecting this.

Pours a clear amber with lots of bubbly streams of carbonation and a finger of off white head. The aroma offers green grass, sweet corn, brown sugary grain, and toasted biscuit.
Caramel, toast, and corn hit the tongue, followed by green apple, faint earth, lots of freshly clipped grass, and a touch of lemon to balance things out. Quite crisp and clean--except for a touch too much of caramel sweetness, this is near pilsner level of sessionability.
The mouthfeel is light, but not thin or watery, and well carbonated. Very easy to throw back.

Though I don't drink this one much anymore, this was an old favorite, an introduction to craft beer, and still remains one of the best cheap, widely available craft lagers on the market.

3.24/5  rDev -3.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

The beer pours a creamy white head that takes a while to dissipate. The beer itself is a clear medium amber color. The overall look isn't bad but it isn't very inspiring or anything super fancy. It's just enough to get the job done.

The smell is pretty simple but it isn't bad. A light hop bitterness mixed with sweet and very light caramel malt notes. Slight alcohol note. Although, it comes off as soda sometimes but it still has more personality than those other mass produced brands.

The taste is just as simple as the smell. Light hop bitterness with a slightly stronger light caramel malt note with a slight alcohol note that comes out fairly strongly.

The feel is pretty light with some biting carbonation. It has enough texture to be drinkable.

Overall, an acceptable beer for the craft beer geek if there's no Boston Lager around anywhere. This is something you bring out for parties where you need some mass appeal.

4.11/5  rDev +22%

This isn't a beer I pour, smell, allow to warm (deliberately), or make a big fuss about the countless aspects of its flavor, because I didn't pay $10 for 6 beers. Although, I will say the bottles taste better than cans, justifying the whole $.20 price difference. I digress. Whether I'm on a lake bank tossing out a line, floating in a canoe sweating them out faster than I drink them, running a beer pong table, or on my porch playing guitar, Yuengling fails to disappoint. It doesn't taste like carbonated water, and it doesn't have the calories of a steak dinner. Right in the middle. Crisp, refreshing, affordable, flavorful, and pairs well with anything (especially another Yuengling). This was the first beer I had without the word "light" behind it when I was (non incriminating) years old. It opened my eyes to a world of beer beyond Bud, Miller, and Coor's, so I'm slightly biased on this one. Regardless, if you haven't tried it, give it a swig. There's nothing fancy or gimmicky about it. Just a solid, tasty beer. This is my "go to" when I don't want to spend more money on a sixer of something I end up hating. Cheers!

Yuengling Traditional Lager from Yuengling Brewery