Yuengling Traditional Lager - Yuengling Brewery

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-28-2001

to view more.
Ratings: 5,627 | Reviews: 1,638
1.3/5  rDev -61.8%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

I wouldn't lie too you - not my cup of tea.

3.35/5  rDev -1.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.25

Hey, easy drinking lager so if that is what you are looking for then you can't go wrong with this.

3.45/5  rDev +1.5%

A simple, great tasting beer that is a great choice when your wallet is light. It's also a great choice in general. Much like how you sometimes just want a simple cup of black coffee, this hits the spot when you just want a no frills lager.

3.89/5  rDev +14.4%

Nice golden amber look. It had a little head. Taste was really great for the price.

3.67/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

My favorite go to cheap beer when I can get it.

4.79/5  rDev +40.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Fantasic brew. Probably the best lower price beer out there.

2.85/5  rDev -16.2%

Used to love this beer. Craft beer has changed me. I'm just used to more robust flavor. :)

3.28/5  rDev -3.5%

A staple before I moved to New England where it is much harder to find. Not a great beer, but definitely a great value beer and better than most mass-produced domestic lagers.

3.77/5  rDev +10.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

My go to beer cheap beats all other beer in it price point have had thousands and will have thousand more can is way better than bottle or draft

3.31/5  rDev -2.6%

Yuengling is a party staple. It's agreeable to most palates and sessionable with mates.
This amber beer is a common taste of my smaller hometown, an ode to the late night ragers of youth; but as with all things we must outgrow it. It's an American Classic, which could be seen as the best of the worst as has been stated before. I believe it should be an easy convert from anyone on the Budweiser, Coors, Miller, or Michelob party trains for someone who likes drinking beer and socializing. Then again at that point it's a matter of preference or affiliation.
If Budweiser is the GM of American beers, than Yuengling is Ford, a family affair.
Not a terrible thing to have on standby at an unfamiliar pub or restaurant when nothing else seems appealing, though not much beyond that. A toast to mediocrity! If you pay more than $2.00 a bottle I would rethink the choice. Pay the extra few for a nice craft beer at dinner, you'll not regret it.

2.25/5  rDev -33.8%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

best of the worst award

4.45/5  rDev +30.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Oldest brewery for a reason, their traditional must have felt like craft beer before craft beer was around

2.84/5  rDev -16.5%

For longer than I have been leagally able to enjoy beer, people in my town refer to beer as all inclusively consisting of 1 of 2 options: "Lager or Premium" with both referring to Yuengling.

Cult-like brand loyalty and historical reference are the only things this beer has going for it. If I am forced to drink a macro brewed beer...or an adjunct laden lager, I will force this down with a fake smile on my face as to not offend the locals. Brace yourself for the inevitable headache even if you drink just one.

3.5/5  rDev +2.9%

When I want something lighter and readily available on the cheap this is what I go to. Anyone who's a Bud fan should be turned on to this to get them off the swill for life. Light and refreshing enough for a summer's day yet still all the flavor of a decent lager.

Can't wait to get to East to drink

3.99/5  rDev +17.4%

Has a unique taste. Very carbonated but good

3.59/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

I used to look forward to out-of-state trips where I could drink this. (I lived in MIchigan most of my life where this is not available to purchase). Now that I've been in Ohio over a year, the novelty has already passed. This is still a decent beer if I want something cheap and simple, I like it better than most of its peers, but I'm not as excited about it as I once was.

Not craft beer, not supposed to be craft beer, but if I find myself at a binge drinking, beer-guzzling party, a case of this is a fairly good choice.

3.21/5  rDev -5.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

I've heard plenty about this beer, so I was very excited to give it a whirl during my trip to NYC. I can't complain about the value of this beer. It's well crafted, yet well priced. I thought it was better on tap than out of the can, but it was far from the worst thing I've tasted.

3.21/5  rDev -5.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

decent middle of the road budget beer. it's darker than most largers i am familiar with, but doesn't get into sam adams territory as much as looks in that general direction. tastes are watered, but sweet and floral with moderate carbonation. doesn't have that chemical overhead that so many commodity beers do.

i can recommend it as a staple beer and to have for guests when not able to shell out a ton. also a bit on the low alcohol side for me, but that can be very apropos for a lunch beverage or one that you don't want hanging around too long.

1.19/5  rDev -65%
look: 1.25 | smell: 1 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.25

The color of this beer is so deceiving, since it's an amber color, you would think that this beer will not be watery, but it is watery, so I assume, and there are rumors that this brewery is using lots of caramel color or FD&C red #40 artificial food coloring to deceive their customers into thinking that they're drinking a richer or fuller tasting beer, which doesn't taste better than other beers that are even lower priced than Yuengling TL. The taste of this beer, well, how should I put it, if you drink Samuel Adams Boston lager and then pee it out, then your piss will probably taste like Yuengling Traditional Lager, but, oh well, to each his own.

3.1/5  rDev -8.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3

A prefect beer for summer or drinking lighter.

3.5/5  rDev +2.9%

Balling on a budget? Thinkin about chilling by the pool and buying cheap steaks? Make sure you get your yuengling on too.

2.23/5  rDev -34.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

Had on tap and in bottle far too many times.

How does the joke go.... 'You know you're from Pennsylvania when you think that Yuengling is premium beer'. So... what more can I really say about it? For a mass produced lager (craft in name only) it's probably at the top of the heap (I'm looking at you Budweiser, Miller, Coors, etc.) but it's certainly nothing to write home about. It has the virtue of being cheap and readily available in the northeast, and it's a step above the swill. That being said... I'd probably rather drink water.

3.39/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Great American Classic. These go down great.

3.24/5  rDev -4.7%

Pours a nice copper color off white head very bready smell light malty taste with a little bit of bitterness not over powering though overall I pretty good beer for the price

to view more.