Yuengling Traditional Lager - Yuengling Brewery

good

Yuengling Brewery visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

American Amber / Red Lager |  4.40% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-28-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Yuengling Traditional Lager Alström Bros
3.5/5  rDev +2.6%

MMm. A sentimental favorite - I first encountered this one on a Pennsylvania road trip about fifteen years ago, before Craft Brewing has reached the happy condition of these modern times, when it was a bit more difficult to find brews that showed off a local character.

Back in the day, I thought more highly of Yuengling than I do today - it still hasn't lost its starting position if I find myself somewhere on the Eastern Seaboard.

As with some others in this category, I find that Yuengling can finish a bit too far on the sweet end of the scale, and doesn't really have enough character to sustain interest beyond a nostalgic "Yep, I'm in Orlando, gimme a Yuengling" first beer.

But it is certainly refreshing.

Oakenshield53, Aug 29, 2014
3.76/5  rDev +10.3%

Olinnelson, Today at 10:04 PM

TEKNISHE, Today at 09:52 PM
3.76/5  rDev +10.3%

Nbyham80, Today at 10:41 AM
2.73/5  rDev -19.9%

It's been a while since I drank a Yuengling. In my area of Pennsylvania, Yuengling is about as rare as soda. I used to drink a lot of it way back when, but as I grew older it just seemed... well, ordinary. And not all that good. But you know what, it's been a long time and here I am sitting in a crappy Olive Garden and the only stuff on tap is Blue Moon and Bud Lite. So here... we ... go.

Yuengling on draught poured into a Pilsner glass:

Appearance: Actually not bad. A light copper color that refracts the light fairly well, with a thin white head that froths ever so slightly. There is some moderate carbonation on the surface, and delicate lacing travels along the side of the glass.

Aroma: very metallic smelling, with some grassiness peeking through.

Taste: Rusty metal. Grainy water. Not much else.

Mouthfeel: Light to medium body, but extremely watery. Not a very pleasant mouthfeel. There is a bittersweet aftertaste that I thought was okay at the beginning, but by the end I could barely stand it anymore.

Overall: Well, it was not as bad as I thought it would be, but it wasn't really good either. The oldest brewery in America Yuengling might be, but in my humble opinion, there are so many better brews out there. I might try one again in a few years when I've mostly forgotten how mediocre it was, but I won't be coming back anytime soon. Well, unless I have no better choices, like I didn't have tonight.

Doctor_Bogenbroom, Today at 01:40 AM

Kkhuu, Yesterday at 08:20 PM
3.75/5  rDev +10%

y0tommyb, Yesterday at 04:42 AM
3.6/5  rDev +5.6%

Similar to the other comments here, I used to drink this one a lot in my youth and before I got into craft beer. This is my first time drinking it since I've been rating on BA. A nice and refreshing beer. Very clean taste and crisp on the tongue. Not much via aroma; perhaps a slight malt. However the taste has a good deal of character. A very pleasant change of pace beer.

Gajo74, Yesterday at 03:38 AM