Yuengling Traditional Lager - Yuengling Brewery

Yuengling Brewery visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

American Amber / Red Lager |  4.40% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-28-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Yuengling Traditional Lager Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,587 | Hads: 5,754
3.85/5  rDev +12.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

I've spent a fair amount of time searching for my "go-to" beer for hanging out. Something that's not too expensive and not too heavy but still tasty and popular among others around the cooler. I've had some hits and many misses looking for this go-to beer, but I think this is it. I don't think I can do better than this for the qualities I'm looking at here. I'm about to throw out a fishing line and enjoy another one. (420 characters)

3.46/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a pint glass.

Appearance: Super clear amber with a thin white head.

Smell: Not overwhelming but it smells exactly what beer should smell like.

Taste: Malty. Bread, rice. Very smooth.

Mouthfeel: A good amount of carbonation. Easy to drink.

Overall: One of the best drinking beers around. Might not have the best flavor, but you can always count on a Yuengling. (376 characters)

3.5/5  rDev +2.6%

Had this on the golf course straight from the can I had forgot how good this is great taste great price I could drink several of these on a summer day (150 characters)

2.75/5  rDev -19.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 3

Really one of the worst popular american lagers. Has a light brown / redd-ish hue. Smells like sweet corn malt juice. Tastes like a soured rice milk, some light kager and syrup mixed. Worst of all is the feel. So heavy and dense. Just terrible. (244 characters)

I love this stuff, but my beer tastes have never been highbrow. This is my desert island beer. Never bad, and sometimes very good. IMO this is what hipsters should be drinking instead of PBR (although I like a good PBR now and then too.) (237 characters)

3.4/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

A nice clear amber color with a decent foamy white head that settles down fairly quickly but does produce some decent lacing.

The aroma is light caramel malt.

The taste is sweet caramel malt with just a hint of hops at the finish.

Light/medium body, smooth and very easy to drink.

Overall, certainly not a great beer, but well ahead of most mass market American beers. It would be a very pleasant refresher on a hot summer day, and it's relatively inexpensive. (468 characters)

3.06/5  rDev -10.3%

On tap in a pint glass for the purpose of this review.

It looks good. A clear reddish amber pour with a 1f white head. Bubbly carbonation and decent lacing.

Smell, taste, and feel are, in a word; Sweet!
Sure, there's some caramel malt, the sweetness overpowers every aspect of the drink.

I drink it on rare occasion when it's the most of the least selections, but I do not like it at all. (391 characters)

4.05/5  rDev +18.8%

My favorite of its tier of beers. Very easy to drink, not too light, not too dark. Goes well with meals. It's a beer that's very cheap, but I'm still hesistant whenever I'm forced to chug it. America's oldest brewery knows what they're doing. (242 characters)

4.06/5  rDev +19.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

My first review as a Beer Advocate member...

Everyone has their own tastes and preferences. Mine is that of Yuengling Traditional Lager. There is not a better go-to or easy drinking beer in my opinion. Smooth and refreshing, best drank ice cold with a burger. Whether you're drinking one or six, Yuengling comes through. For $9.99 a 12 pack, it's hard to go wrong. The saying is you pay for what you get, and I'll take Yuengling over Budweiser, Sam Adams Boston Lager, you name it. (482 characters)

This is my go-to beer. If I decide that I want a nice relaxing day on the back porch, it never disappoints. Even my non-beer drinking friends enjoy it. It's certainly no craft beer, but it beats everything else at the local carryout. The price is what really gets me. At less that 11 dollars for a 12 pack, you really can't beat it. (332 characters)

3.84/5  rDev +12.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

One of the best affordable American lagers on the market. Clean and refreshing affordable a great beer to have on hand for parties or weeknight dinners. Loses some points for being in green bottles, but if you're arvthe grocery store and want to pick up some solid beer, this is what you grab. (293 characters)

2.86/5  rDev -16.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

Best of the macro's in my opinion. Slight hints of caramel and just enough maltiness to keep it interesting but not cloying. Pretty heavy carbonation and medium-light body. On the nose there is a subtle whiff of butterscotch and mustiness, but the main thing here are the sweet malts.

Decent beer for a BBQ or a day at the beach. (330 characters)

3.98/5  rDev +16.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Of all the domestic cheaper session lagers, this is clearly the best. It actually looks like a microbrew product. It tastes like no other competitor, ie it tastes like beer. For the price, this is the best. Too bad they don't sell it in Michigan. (246 characters)

3.53/5  rDev +3.5%

Had this at the Bajorek's house for a family reunion. Better than I remembered for a basic lager. Probably better than the Narragansett I had last weekend. Better than Bud but certainly not a great beer. (203 characters)

There are some crazy ass new labels out there but look at the perfection we have right here. 1) Smooth as it can be. 2) Price, can't beat it. 3) Nostalgia - it just takes you back to your glory days. It’s pretty funny, anytime I'm at a party and I see Yuengling it just brings a smile to this old man's face. Not sure why, reminds of me of my collegiate glory year. (371 characters)

3.9/5  rDev +14.4%

June 8, 2015

12 oz bottle, pils glass

A – Light to medium amber and very clear, with just a bit of chill haze. Slightly off-white head, less than a centimeter, dissipates quickly.

S – A lot of lightly baked bread crust, with a touch of caramel and grainy sweetness. Herbal hop aroma is mild but present, and slightly spicy/peppery. Very clean.

T – Bread crust, grainy, a touch of graham cracker, caramel. Hops are herbal, slightly floral, and the peppery note is here as well. Almost a rye-like spice.

M – Medium-high carbonation, well attenuated, and very dry throughout. Medium body. Very mild hop bitterness on the finish.

O – After drinking so many “big” beers, it’s easy to forget the joy of a well-made lager. These guys are some of the best. An excellent beer. (798 characters)

3.81/5  rDev +11.7%

America's version of the Pilsner Urquell. The Peroni. Heineken. Tuborg, Stiegl.

A beer you can drink all-day. Or only have one.

Drinkable in all weather. Out in the blistering sun or by the fireplace during winter.

A beer that no one is unhappy to be drinking. Acceptable to beer snobs. Acceptable to non-beer drinkers.

As cheap as other domestics but better in every regard.

Won't induce a hangover, but can certainly end one.

More than the sum of its parts.

It's the Toyota Camry of beers.

Makes buying beer for large parties very easy.

I could go on but you get the idea. (584 characters)

I'm rating this beer against its competitors. This is a standard beer and much better than bud or coors or miller and all the others. When buying a 24 pack for a group of friends coming over this is the best and I have rated as such. 5 across the board. Of course when looking for something with character this is not it, but I don't think they were competing with them. You need to rate this beer according to what they were going for. (436 characters)

2.9/5  rDev -15%

If I have to drink shitty commercial macro-beer, it's a Yuengling every time.

It has a slight Cheez-its aftertaste that's a bit off-putting when it's warm. But when it's cold it's entirely decent. (197 characters)

4.4/5  rDev +29%

This is my benchmark beer. First, consider the value: Even in a 6-pack, a 12 oz bottle is less than a buck, much cheaper than Blue Moon or Sam Adams, which had been my prior favorites. In a 24 pack, you're looking at maybe 75 cents a bottle, pending on sales. But for that money, you are getting a *far* superior beer to most of the standard american brands. It's a great tasting lager to sip on , goes down smooth, without the sort of aftertaste you normally get from an American big brand. (491 characters)

2.58/5  rDev -24.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

I'm supposed to justify this? What? I thought this part was optional? I guess it's okay. It's decent "go to the store for a weekend of drinking," beer. Nothing really that stunning, just "okay." (194 characters)

3.32/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

Had on tap at Shadrach's at The Heritage in Southbury, CT

Appearance - Served up in a pint, this brew is crstal clear and copper in color with a thin, broken layer of white head.

Smell - Dextrin malt sweetness with a faint caramel undertone. Nothing in the way of hops on the nose.

Taste - Follows the nose. Dextrin sweetness with a faint caramel undertone. Distant hop spice in the finish. Almost leaves a wheaty, milky aftertaste, akin to some witbiers.

Mouthfeel - Near medium in body with moderate, bitey carbonation. Crisp, semi-dry finish.

Overall - Well, it's not quite what I expected, but in many ways it is. Huh? Say nothing to no one! It wasn't a priority for me to try this, but figured I might as well while I had the chance. All in all, not bad, but nothing I'd care to try again. (804 characters)

2.88/5  rDev -15.5%

I used to really like Yuengling and I don't dislike now. It just doesn't have the full taste I've become used to. It's still much better than the most, if not all, of the big boys. (180 characters)

3.45/5  rDev +1.2%

A simple, great tasting beer that is a great choice when your wallet is light. It's also a great choice in general. Much like how you sometimes just want a simple cup of black coffee, this hits the spot when you just want a no frills lager. (240 characters)

3.28/5  rDev -3.8%

A staple before I moved to New England where it is much harder to find. Not a great beer, but definitely a great value beer and better than most mass-produced domestic lagers. (175 characters)

Yuengling Traditional Lager from Yuengling Brewery