Yuengling Traditional Lager - Yuengling Brewery

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-28-2001

Reviews: 1,619 | Hads: 5,932
Reviews by Amanspearfishing:
3.81/5  rDev +13.1%

America's version of the Pilsner Urquell. The Peroni. Heineken. Tuborg, Stiegl.

A beer you can drink all-day. Or only have one.

Drinkable in all weather. Out in the blistering sun or by the fireplace during winter.

A beer that no one is unhappy to be drinking. Acceptable to beer snobs. Acceptable to non-beer drinkers.

As cheap as other domestics but better in every regard.

Won't induce a hangover, but can certainly end one.

More than the sum of its parts.

It's the Toyota Camry of beers.

Makes buying beer for large parties very easy.

I could go on but you get the idea.

3.5/5  rDev +3.9%

MMm. A sentimental favorite - I first encountered this one on a Pennsylvania road trip about fifteen years ago, before Craft Brewing has reached the happy condition of these modern times, when it was a bit more difficult to find brews that showed off a local character.

Back in the day, I thought more highly of Yuengling than I do today - it still hasn't lost its starting position if I find myself somewhere on the Eastern Seaboard.

As with some others in this category, I find that Yuengling can finish a bit too far on the sweet end of the scale, and doesn't really have enough character to sustain interest beyond a nostalgic "Yep, I'm in Orlando, gimme a Yuengling" first beer.

But it is certainly refreshing.

2.9/5  rDev -13.9%

If I have to drink shitty commercial macro-beer, it's a Yuengling every time.

It has a slight Cheez-its aftertaste that's a bit off-putting when it's warm. But when it's cold it's entirely decent.

4.5/5  rDev +33.5%

Hands Down Yuengling Traditional Lager is my Favorite American Beer. Balanced perfectly, while I think Original Sam Adams is too bitter. The Alcohol content is lower than most American Beers, which makes is more enjoyable in my opinion. I first Discovered this beer while stopping over at PHL airport, and 10 years later, I was finally able to drink it again while working in the USA. I believe its taste balance of mild bitters and sweetness with the perfect amount of carbonation makes it superior to the fizz water of the Mega American Beer Companies produce. Anytime in the eastern US, it is my Beer of choice everytime.

3.39/5  rDev +0.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: Clean golden amber, with an ample head of fine off-white suds. Attractive web of lacing.

Aroma: Caramel malts, grain, toffee, a bit of fruitiness.

Taste: Rich and caramel-malty, both smooth and easy to drink. This amber lager is infinitely better than all the American adjunct “junk” lagers, and certainly one I’d not turn down if offered again. Maybe not a completely perfect brew, but one that certainly pleases for the price point.

3.8/5  rDev +12.8%

Look: Two fingers of creamy white head has some surprisingly good retention. Color is somewhere between copper and amber. Pretty active carbonation.

Smell: Sweet caramel and toasted grains.

Taste: More of the same but a slight metallic bite on the finish.

Feel: Light to medium in body. Pretty chewy for a lager.

Overall: This was a bit of a weird whale for me. Living in Colorado this beer isn't in distro out here and I always oddly wanted to try it. So I got a sixer on my recent trip to Ohio and pleasantly enjoyed it. Hope it makes it to Colorado sooner rather than later. Thumbs up.

3.88/5  rDev +15.1%

12 fl oz. can, no apparent canned on date. My first encounter with a can of Yuengling, gifted to me from a friend.

Poured into a Duvel tulip glass.

A - It pours a nice coppery amber body- a touch darker than I expected. About a finger and a half of frothy off-white head. Leaves some good sticky scattered lacing behind. Looks good, considering it's reputation.

S - A creamy, grainy, almost doughy sort of aroma. Sweet & malty, to be sure. Some brown bread perhaps, and maybe just a slight note of floral alcohol / metallics.

T - Taste follows the nose: sweetened, creamy, & grainy all around. Toasty & nutty, with a bit of bready malts and brown bread. A bit of traditional doughy earthy yeast in there as well.

M - The feel is crisp, smooth, & creamy. A nice dry, yeasty finish. Medium-light bodied, but drinkable and quenching.

Overall, I was pleasantly surprised with my first can of this stuff. I would rank it right up there with Samuel Adams Boston Lager in terms of flavor and drinkability. This one is packing a lot of flavor for a low abv. Would love to get more of this stuff.

Yuengling Traditional Lager -----4/5.

3.9/5  rDev +15.7%

June 8, 2015

12 oz bottle, pils glass

A – Light to medium amber and very clear, with just a bit of chill haze. Slightly off-white head, less than a centimeter, dissipates quickly.

S – A lot of lightly baked bread crust, with a touch of caramel and grainy sweetness. Herbal hop aroma is mild but present, and slightly spicy/peppery. Very clean.

T – Bread crust, grainy, a touch of graham cracker, caramel. Hops are herbal, slightly floral, and the peppery note is here as well. Almost a rye-like spice.

M – Medium-high carbonation, well attenuated, and very dry throughout. Medium body. Very mild hop bitterness on the finish.

O – After drinking so many “big” beers, it’s easy to forget the joy of a well-made lager. These guys are some of the best. An excellent beer.

1.24/5  rDev -63.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1

Being a native to Pennsylvania this beer is available on tap or in bottles/cans just about anywhere that sells beer. This is honestly some of the most over-rated piss-poor beers to be produced on a cellular level.

This beer only looks appetizing to drink... It has a gorgeous amber color to it but you can literally see right through it. Head is gone after 30 seconds or less.

To me I get the scent of corn and for some reason burnt hair, I get this regardless of any serving type. It could be on tap, bottle, can, you name it... It stinks to me.

The scent is similar to it's taste, like corn... And it kind of tastes like how a restroom at McDonalds smells in the summer time. It also leaves an off-taste of metal and fish when burped after consuming.

There is way too much carbonation going on in this beer. Depending on the glass this beer can often look like a watered down Cola of some sort.

This beer sucks something awful. When people bring cases of it to my house for parties, I make sure they take the leftovers with them!

3.32/5  rDev -1.5%

A: Clear, amber with a white head, about a single finger head

S: Bready and grainy smell

T: Sweet and caramel notes. Smooth.

M: This is where I have to knock the beer. I am not sure where "aftertaste" falls but this beers aftertaste is particularly offensive to my personal palate. That being said, I drink it faster because each sip temporarily relieves the problem. Medium body.

O: This beer is a party pleaser as it is inexpensive to purchase and many people like it. I find I order it often when meeting places that serve Miller/Bud products and Yuengling, which seems to be a lot of places.

I'm rating this beer against its competitors. This is a standard beer and much better than bud or coors or miller and all the others. When buying a 24 pack for a group of friends coming over this is the best and I have rated as such. 5 across the board. Of course when looking for something with character this is not it, but I don't think they were competing with them. You need to rate this beer according to what they were going for.

3.25/5  rDev -3.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Pours clear, amber color. Almost no head. Smoky-citrus aroma. Malty flavor that's not too heavy. Slight lacing. This beer is good, and I drink it often since it's widely available in my area. However there's a malty aftertaste which I find undesirable, so I can't rate this one too highly.

3.61/5  rDev +7.1%

I love the price for a six-pack of this $4.99 a six pack!Your drinking a well-made beer and it is cheaper then AB products!Very good on tap is a staple of mine when I go out and dont have alot of money.Good to see the little breweries get recognized so Ab and the rest dont have control over everything in the supermarkets.

2.5/5  rDev -25.8%

2.5/5  rDev -25.8%

3.35/5  rDev -0.6%

Orangey amber with a short-lived head. The aroma is pretty grainy with some honey and caramel notes. Similar taste with some orange zest and red apple skin toward the finish. Crisp and dry, this makes for a nice after work beer to have with dinner to prime the palate for the good stuff.

3.27/5  rDev -3%

Yuengling lager.

A- Mild amber hue with a one inch head that falls into a flat soda froth and ring that fails to make a touch of lacing.

S- Smell is a very low touch of carmel malts, metallic scents, and heavy amouts of grains.

T- Tastes of barley, malt, mild brown sugar, and a hint of hop bitterness.

M-D- Mouthfeel is easy on the buds, with good overall drinkablity..

2.71/5  rDev -19.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

A 24 oz. can poured into my huge 24oz. shaker pint glass. A match made in heaven.

It pours an amber red with a fluffy creame head. The head is generous and leaves a surprising amount of intricate lacing on the sides of the glass. This is one of the best looking lager I've seen. It's pretty inviting.

The nose is mild as I'm sure it's designed. A bit of sweet caramel malt and not much else. I like the crispness and the lack of obvious adjunct malt as typical in this type of lager style.

The taste, for a split second seems alright, then it just takes a nose dive into the oblivion. A huge rubbery taste come out. It's so distracting I can't even try and pick out anything else. It's unappealing to say the least. I had such high hopes for this beer.

The rubbery taste transfers into a slick type mouthfeel and ruins that as well. not as compete as the taste but enough for it to not be too good. The drinkability, if I block out the rubber taste isn't actually too bad. I finished the whole 24oz. without much fanfare despite the rubber taste.

I really had high hopes for this beer, I can't get it in IL but picked up a can in TN specifically to review because of it's reputation. i hope it's just a mishandled can because if all Yuengling tastes like rubber then I can't trust any more east coasters BA opinions anymore.

3.44/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.25/5  rDev -3.6%