Yuengling Traditional Lager - Yuengling Brewery

to view more.
Ratings: 5,584 | Reviews: 1,622
Reviews by HerculesRM:
3.23/5  rDev -5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Appears a very light amber color, clear with a thin head. Smells bready with hints of alcohol. Taste is light malt forward with a slight metallic aftertaste, light mouthfeel. Very simple and very little hop character. This used to be a novelty beer for me, when you couldn't get it around here and my Pennsylvanian friends would import it. Now that it's in every drug store, it's just a decent cheap beer to put in the fridge when my brother in law is coming over.

3.5/5  rDev +2.9%

MMm. A sentimental favorite - I first encountered this one on a Pennsylvania road trip about fifteen years ago, before Craft Brewing has reached the happy condition of these modern times, when it was a bit more difficult to find brews that showed off a local character.

Back in the day, I thought more highly of Yuengling than I do today - it still hasn't lost its starting position if I find myself somewhere on the Eastern Seaboard.

As with some others in this category, I find that Yuengling can finish a bit too far on the sweet end of the scale, and doesn't really have enough character to sustain interest beyond a nostalgic "Yep, I'm in Orlando, gimme a Yuengling" first beer.

But it is certainly refreshing.

3.25/5  rDev -4.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Pours clear, amber color. Almost no head. Smoky-citrus aroma. Malty flavor that's not too heavy. Slight lacing. This beer is good, and I drink it often since it's widely available in my area. However there's a malty aftertaste which I find undesirable, so I can't rate this one too highly.

3.61/5  rDev +6.2%

I love the price for a six-pack of this $4.99 a six pack!Your drinking a well-made beer and it is cheaper then AB products!Very good on tap is a staple of mine when I go out and dont have alot of money.Good to see the little breweries get recognized so Ab and the rest dont have control over everything in the supermarkets.

3.35/5  rDev -1.5%

Orangey amber with a short-lived head. The aroma is pretty grainy with some honey and caramel notes. Similar taste with some orange zest and red apple skin toward the finish. Crisp and dry, this makes for a nice after work beer to have with dinner to prime the palate for the good stuff.

3.27/5  rDev -3.8%

Yuengling lager.

A- Mild amber hue with a one inch head that falls into a flat soda froth and ring that fails to make a touch of lacing.

S- Smell is a very low touch of carmel malts, metallic scents, and heavy amouts of grains.

T- Tastes of barley, malt, mild brown sugar, and a hint of hop bitterness.

M-D- Mouthfeel is easy on the buds, with good overall drinkablity..

2.71/5  rDev -20.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

A 24 oz. can poured into my huge 24oz. shaker pint glass. A match made in heaven.

It pours an amber red with a fluffy creame head. The head is generous and leaves a surprising amount of intricate lacing on the sides of the glass. This is one of the best looking lager I've seen. It's pretty inviting.

The nose is mild as I'm sure it's designed. A bit of sweet caramel malt and not much else. I like the crispness and the lack of obvious adjunct malt as typical in this type of lager style.

The taste, for a split second seems alright, then it just takes a nose dive into the oblivion. A huge rubbery taste come out. It's so distracting I can't even try and pick out anything else. It's unappealing to say the least. I had such high hopes for this beer.

The rubbery taste transfers into a slick type mouthfeel and ruins that as well. not as compete as the taste but enough for it to not be too good. The drinkability, if I block out the rubber taste isn't actually too bad. I finished the whole 24oz. without much fanfare despite the rubber taste.

I really had high hopes for this beer, I can't get it in IL but picked up a can in TN specifically to review because of it's reputation. i hope it's just a mishandled can because if all Yuengling tastes like rubber then I can't trust any more east coasters BA opinions anymore.

3.45/5  rDev +1.5%

Light amber, crystal clear with what appears to be lots of carbonation that leads to a soapy foam head of roughly 1-2 fingers. Retention is about average, eventually going to a thin ring of white. No real lacing to speak of.

Thin aromas of grainy malt and some faint hops, a little citrus & a little floral. Hard to discern the hops. Nothing special jumping out at me but still pleasant with a sense of balance.

I was a little bit surprised with the flavors after the relatively mediocre aromas. Although very balanced, there was still enough flavor in the brew that you can find the malts up front with a slightly dry hop finish. Very clean with not much linger, rather refreshing overall.

The carbonation was not as heavy as it appeared to be on the pour and actually suited the character of the brew quite nicely. I felt the mouthfeel to be adequate and enjoyable.

This was a decent brew. I didn't have high expectations for it and was honestly a little surprised at how much I enjoyed it. Given the choice between this and the typical American macro brews, I'd take this one first any day.

3.83/5  rDev +12.6%

From BeerAdvocate Magazine Volume II, Issue I:

This is the oldest brewery in America and adored by college students all across the Atlantic, from Florida to New York. We are talking cult status, where the Northeast would be a viable market, yet there is still no interest from the brewery. Go figure.

Not much in the head department as it drops down to a very thin ring of lace. Clear and amber in color. Slight hop aroma of citrus and rough herb, malt is a little wet and vaguely toasted in the nose. Big on crispness with a moderate body and slick mouthfeel. Hop bitterness is a little rough around the edges, a trait of Cluster hops and the Cascade hops drop a quick kiss of citrus on the palate. Grainy but sweet and grassy throughout from the malt character. Finishes semi-dry with a pretty clean after taste.

Decent drinking, we look to this beer as a filler to switch things up. All in all, at least a step or two above most mass-produced lagers.

3.53/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I am a fan of beers in the red/amber category. Yuengling is on tap at many bars and restaurants in my area (upstate NY) and I've enjoyed it for quite some time.

I recently bought a case of cans and to my surprise I found I wasn't nearly as fond of it in that serving type. I can't recall any other brew where the serving type affected my opinion to the degree of Yuengling.

I have since had it in the bottle and find it better than the can but still not as good as on tap. Has anyone else experienced this with Yuengling?

2.38/5  rDev -30%

Pours a clear amber with hints of orange and a small head that quickly falls. Sweet cereal grains along with a grassy/herbal hop nose. Unremarkable, yet unoffensive.

First sip opens with a crisp, grainy malt body with hints of caramel and corn. Fairly sweet flavor profile. This went well along with some leftover chinese food. Grassy, herbal hops show up on the swallow.

Fairly light body that relies on carbonation to make it feel fuller. Not a beer I'd ever seek out. Still this is a step above the major macros. Why the hell do they have to use a green bottle?? Thanks to kmpitz2 for hooking me up with this one.

3.27/5  rDev -3.8%

I tried this beer for the first time several weeks ago at a friends party. I was pleasantly surprised.

A- Light copper color with a small head.

S- Sweet Malt

T- I didn't notice much malts and it was light bodied but not watery.

M- Light bodied

D- I would drink this beer again because it's great drinkability. I think that's the best quality of this beer. It's not amazing but it will do for a nice night of relaxing or a game with the guys.

When you first crack open a can of yeungling traditional lager you hear the hiss of the carbonation escaping into fresh air. The tightly sealed sacred nectar awaiting. The thick foamy lager is a must for any season. Upon taking your first sip you can feel the carbonation tart your tounge in sourness. Overall it's a great beer. While not a summer craft or seasonal Sam Adams it tops my list as #3 of my all time favorite summer beers.

2.78/5  rDev -18.2%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

Old faithful. When you want a beer, but don't want to get craft twisted.

2.3/5  rDev -32.4%

This is a decent lager that has become a bit too ubiquitous and overrated by the masses who found something that tasted good and beer-esque, so it therefore must be high class.

Smells of metal, mouthfeel of water, but there still remains a bite that can not be denied. You can drink them all day, as long as boredom doesn't sit in, although getting buzzed is impossible with this eagle of 4.4 abv. Is it a snob thing to downplay the great American lager? Maybe, but I am not excited to drink this.

3.06/5  rDev -10%

On a recent visit to Tampa every bar I went to had this on draft. I was told that Yuengling had a brewery in Tampa. Is this the only beer they brew? Anyway, it was an amber color with a thick white head and good lacing. It had a sweet, fresh corn odor, but not much taste. There was a little hops, but that was about it. Pretty average.

3.26/5  rDev -4.1%

Presentation: 12oz green bottle with the coolest old school US beer label on the planet. No freshness date, but there is a batch code ... where's my Yuengling Decoder Ring?

Appearance: A beautiful, bright, rich amber beer with a thin white laced head.

Smell: Clean aroma, soft grain, metallic, earth aromas. Faint sulfur.

Taste: Smooth. The beer's tight carbonation tingles the palate and creams things up the mouthfeel. A thin malt sweetness with a soft fruity character balances well with a flash of sharp limey, citrus-like hop bitterness. Crisp, dry with a hop leaf feel hiding in the dryness. Touch of salt, mineral, metallic and sulfur flavours. Finish is dry with light grain husk tannins.

Notes: A very basic, old-school lager. Simple, sturdy and tasty ...

3.93/5  rDev +15.6%

Pours a nice amber-gold color out of those blasted green bottles (why???), but as long as you stick with 12 packs or cases it isn't skunky all that often.

The aroma of light malt and grain greets your nose. It tastes like "beer" - the beer your grandpa gave you when you were seven and Mom wasn't looking and Dad was off playing horseshoes. Malty, with a light hop presence and a bit of sweetness (tastes like it's from the corn), with a clean, somewhat dry finish that has you reaching for Grandpa's glass again when he gets up to use the can. A perfect example of what an American light lager designed for mass-market appeal can and should be.

Success story: The local golf course where I play put this on tap and took Budweiser off. How sweet is that?

3.7/5  rDev +8.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This is by far not my favorite beer. However, with that said let us continue. The color of a lager as they are known in these parts is quite nice. Rich amber color with a decent head. There isn't much of a smell to it as I see. When you take your first sip you find yourself in a traditional American lager. Nothing special but I just find myself liking it. I will take it over an American macro any day. It goes down easy so many restaurants in the area promote Yuengs and wings. I think also it has an appeal because it is a local brew for me. Nevertheless, give this one a try.

3.53/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

Pours amber color with decent head. Smells lightly of malts but much. Tastes kind of bready, sweet malts, some hop spice...pretty good for a macro lager. It is what it is and I would say it's definitely Top3 as far as the best American Macro Lager genre is concerned. Light and carbonated mouthfeel. Extremely drinkable.

3.2/5  rDev -5.9%

A- Pours a cidery golden amber with a half inch white head which quickly recedes to nothing. Small carbonation bubbles throughout.

S- Traditional lager malt sweetness with a bit of bread dough and a bit of pine.

T- Light and refreshing. Light caramel and malt sweetness with some more of the dough from the aroma. Subdued corn syrup and skunk on the back end with no hop flavor to note.

M- Thin and watery with a moderate carbonation. It's an easy drinker but doesn't feel too exciting.

D- Easy to drink and with no overly offending off characters this beer is a passable everyday beer. There is nothing too exciting here but for a simple cheap lager it does the trick.

3.38/5  rDev -0.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bit on the sweet side with no astringent flavours. Hops are light on the palate and barely round out the brew. A no frills amber lager. It actually does not taste bad as it warms up either. A good beer to grab on a lazy summer afternoon and let your mind go blank.

2.72/5  rDev -20%

Poured from a can into a straight sided pint. Grainy with a bit of floral hop aroma. That may be a strech. No problems with the appearance. Exactly as it should be pale/straw with a thin cap of snow white head. No real hop flavor or bitterness at all. Not much bitterness to speak of either. Just grainy. Med bodied with lively CO2 rolls through the mouth. Very drying. Pretty much exactly what you’d expect from the style. I’d chose Yuengling any day over the big boys.

3.42/5  rDev +0.6%

A- Copper color, tall white fluffy head

S- A nice wheaty smell, like warm bread

T- Grassy hops and bready malts, taste follows the smell but better

M- Somewhat carbonated, medium body, pretty good consistency

D- Pretty good macro, very drinkable, you could easily go through a good amount of these

3.62/5  rDev +6.5%

Pours a clear, amber gold, with a five second head that leaves a slim ring of light lace. Aroma is subdued, with sweet caramel malt and a hint of grassy hops. Mouthfeel is all about the carbonation. Light to medium bodied, and feels like an American mainsteam lager. Taste is somewhat grainy, sweet malt, and a hint of grassy hops. A solid American lager, smooth and very drinkable. I'm impressed that this does not taste watered down, at all. Excellent alternative to anything by the big macros.

to view more.