Yuengling Traditional Lager - Yuengling Brewery

good

Yuengling Brewery visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

American Amber / Red Lager |  4.40% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-28-2001)
Reviews by SpartyJoe:
SpartyJoe

03-23-2014 20:43:23 | More by SpartyJoe
oberon

3.68/5  rDev +7.9%

I love the price for a six-pack of this $4.99 a six pack!Your drinking a well-made beer and it is cheaper then AB products!Very good on tap is a staple of mine when I go out and dont have alot of money.Good to see the little breweries get recognized so Ab and the rest dont have control over everything in the supermarkets.

02-02-2003 10:42:40 | More by oberon

06-03-2012 03:37:52 | More by Zakk
brownbeer

Missouri

3.33/5  rDev -2.3%

Orangey amber with a short-lived head. The aroma is pretty grainy with some honey and caramel notes. Similar taste with some orange zest and red apple skin toward the finish. Crisp and dry, this makes for a nice after work beer to have with dinner to prime the palate for the good stuff.

05-27-2010 03:03:58 | More by brownbeer
Mac19872

11-17-2011 02:56:27 | More by Mac19872
wesbrownyeah

3.28/5  rDev -3.8%

Yuengling lager.

A- Mild amber hue with a one inch head that falls into a flat soda froth and ring that fails to make a touch of lacing.

S- Smell is a very low touch of carmel malts, metallic scents, and heavy amouts of grains.

T- Tastes of barley, malt, mild brown sugar, and a hint of hop bitterness.

M-D- Mouthfeel is easy on the buds, with good overall drinkablity..

05-25-2009 03:32:45 | More by wesbrownyeah
weatherdog

2.6/5  rDev -23.8%

A 24 oz. can poured into my huge 24oz. shaker pint glass. A match made in heaven.

It pours an amber red with a fluffy creame head. The head is generous and leaves a surprising amount of intricate lacing on the sides of the glass. This is one of the best looking lager I've seen. It's pretty inviting.

The nose is mild as I'm sure it's designed. A bit of sweet caramel malt and not much else. I like the crispness and the lack of obvious adjunct malt as typical in this type of lager style.

The taste, for a split second seems alright, then it just takes a nose dive into the oblivion. A huge rubbery taste come out. It's so distracting I can't even try and pick out anything else. It's unappealing to say the least. I had such high hopes for this beer.

The rubbery taste transfers into a slick type mouthfeel and ruins that as well. not as compete as the taste but enough for it to not be too good. The drinkability, if I block out the rubber taste isn't actually too bad. I finished the whole 24oz. without much fanfare despite the rubber taste.

I really had high hopes for this beer, I can't get it in IL but picked up a can in TN specifically to review because of it's reputation. i hope it's just a mishandled can because if all Yuengling tastes like rubber then I can't trust any more east coasters BA opinions anymore.

12-19-2010 03:45:11 | More by weatherdog

1.5/5  rDev -56%

12-09-2011 06:00:26 | More by BenTherHppedThat
SIRIUS2

3.48/5  rDev +2.1%

Light amber, crystal clear with what appears to be lots of carbonation that leads to a soapy foam head of roughly 1-2 fingers. Retention is about average, eventually going to a thin ring of white. No real lacing to speak of.

Thin aromas of grainy malt and some faint hops, a little citrus & a little floral. Hard to discern the hops. Nothing special jumping out at me but still pleasant with a sense of balance.

I was a little bit surprised with the flavors after the relatively mediocre aromas. Although very balanced, there was still enough flavor in the brew that you can find the malts up front with a slightly dry hop finish. Very clean with not much linger, rather refreshing overall.

The carbonation was not as heavy as it appeared to be on the pour and actually suited the character of the brew quite nicely. I felt the mouthfeel to be adequate and enjoyable.

This was a decent brew. I didn't have high expectations for it and was honestly a little surprised at how much I enjoyed it. Given the choice between this and the typical American macro brews, I'd take this one first any day.

09-15-2008 15:14:38 | More by SIRIUS2
diesel59

07-16-2014 23:20:25 | More by diesel59
BeerAdvocate

3.85/5  rDev +12.9%

From BeerAdvocate Magazine Volume II, Issue I:

This is the oldest brewery in America and adored by college students all across the Atlantic, from Florida to New York. We are talking cult status, where the Northeast would be a viable market, yet there is still no interest from the brewery. Go figure.

Not much in the head department as it drops down to a very thin ring of lace. Clear and amber in color. Slight hop aroma of citrus and rough herb, malt is a little wet and vaguely toasted in the nose. Big on crispness with a moderate body and slick mouthfeel. Hop bitterness is a little rough around the edges, a trait of Cluster hops and the Cascade hops drop a quick kiss of citrus on the palate. Grainy but sweet and grassy throughout from the malt character. Finishes semi-dry with a pretty clean after taste.

Decent drinking, we look to this beer as a filler to switch things up. All in all, at least a step or two above most mass-produced lagers.

11-13-2009 17:16:57 | More by BeerAdvocate
Cuvie62

03-19-2013 23:49:36 | More by Cuvie62
goldold

3.53/5  rDev +3.5%

I am a fan of beers in the red/amber category. Yuengling is on tap at many bars and restaurants in my area (upstate NY) and I've enjoyed it for quite some time.

I recently bought a case of cans and to my surprise I found I wasn't nearly as fond of it in that serving type. I can't recall any other brew where the serving type affected my opinion to the degree of Yuengling.

I have since had it in the bottle and find it better than the can but still not as good as on tap. Has anyone else experienced this with Yuengling?

07-03-2007 18:28:25 | More by goldold
MikeC144

Rhode Island

04-09-2014 15:47:29 | More by MikeC144
orbitalr0x

2.38/5  rDev -30.2%

Pours a clear amber with hints of orange and a small head that quickly falls. Sweet cereal grains along with a grassy/herbal hop nose. Unremarkable, yet unoffensive.

First sip opens with a crisp, grainy malt body with hints of caramel and corn. Fairly sweet flavor profile. This went well along with some leftover chinese food. Grassy, herbal hops show up on the swallow.

Fairly light body that relies on carbonation to make it feel fuller. Not a beer I'd ever seek out. Still this is a step above the major macros. Why the hell do they have to use a green bottle?? Thanks to kmpitz2 for hooking me up with this one.

04-19-2005 03:12:01 | More by orbitalr0x

4.75/5  rDev +39.3%

03-17-2012 00:52:10 | More by markallmon
newcastleme

3.2/5  rDev -6.2%

I tried this beer for the first time several weeks ago at a friends party. I was pleasantly surprised.

A- Light copper color with a small head.

S- Sweet Malt

T- I didn't notice much malts and it was light bodied but not watery.

M- Light bodied

D- I would drink this beer again because it's great drinkability. I think that's the best quality of this beer. It's not amazing but it will do for a nice night of relaxing or a game with the guys.

08-06-2010 23:35:24 | More by newcastleme
Ed_Sandy

When you first crack open a can of yeungling traditional lager you hear the hiss of the carbonation escaping into fresh air. The tightly sealed sacred nectar awaiting. The thick foamy lager is a must for any season. Upon taking your first sip you can feel the carbonation tart your tounge in sourness. Overall it's a great beer. While not a summer craft or seasonal Sam Adams it tops my list as #3 of my all time favorite summer beers.

07-09-2013 04:49:52 | More by Ed_Sandy