Yuengling Traditional Lager - Yuengling Brewery

good

Yuengling Brewery visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

American Amber / Red Lager |  4.40% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-28-2001)
Reviews by rosmhuire:
3.2/5  rDev -6.2%

Drank directly from bottle, as this was the only palatable beer my father-in-law had in his beer fridge.

A: Absolutely no idea, as I drank this straight from the bottle. Plus, the bottle is green, making it difficult/near impossible to ascertain the coloring.

S: Nothing - this has no nose in my opinion.

T: A tad sweet, as the malt flavor profile really comes through. A bit of bitterness/hoppiness on the finish.

M: Moderate carbonation.

D: Extremely drinkable. In my opinion, this is the best of the uninspired macros.

rosmhuire, Dec 28, 2009
3.5/5  rDev +2.6%

MMm. A sentimental favorite - I first encountered this one on a Pennsylvania road trip about fifteen years ago, before Craft Brewing has reached the happy condition of these modern times, when it was a bit more difficult to find brews that showed off a local character.

Back in the day, I thought more highly of Yuengling than I do today - it still hasn't lost its starting position if I find myself somewhere on the Eastern Seaboard.

As with some others in this category, I find that Yuengling can finish a bit too far on the sweet end of the scale, and doesn't really have enough character to sustain interest beyond a nostalgic "Yep, I'm in Orlando, gimme a Yuengling" first beer.

But it is certainly refreshing.

Oakenshield53, Aug 29, 2014
3.68/5  rDev +7.9%

I love the price for a six-pack of this $4.99 a six pack!Your drinking a well-made beer and it is cheaper then AB products!Very good on tap is a staple of mine when I go out and dont have alot of money.Good to see the little breweries get recognized so Ab and the rest dont have control over everything in the supermarkets.

oberon, Feb 02, 2003
2.5/5  rDev -26.7%

mojohawk21, Jul 30, 2013

Hoppin_mad, May 03, 2014

Zakk, Jun 03, 2012
3.33/5  rDev -2.3%

Orangey amber with a short-lived head. The aroma is pretty grainy with some honey and caramel notes. Similar taste with some orange zest and red apple skin toward the finish. Crisp and dry, this makes for a nice after work beer to have with dinner to prime the palate for the good stuff.

brownbeer, May 27, 2010

Mac19872, Nov 17, 2011
3.28/5  rDev -3.8%

Yuengling lager.

A- Mild amber hue with a one inch head that falls into a flat soda froth and ring that fails to make a touch of lacing.

S- Smell is a very low touch of carmel malts, metallic scents, and heavy amouts of grains.

T- Tastes of barley, malt, mild brown sugar, and a hint of hop bitterness.

M-D- Mouthfeel is easy on the buds, with good overall drinkablity..

wesbrownyeah, May 25, 2009
2.6/5  rDev -23.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

A 24 oz. can poured into my huge 24oz. shaker pint glass. A match made in heaven.

It pours an amber red with a fluffy creame head. The head is generous and leaves a surprising amount of intricate lacing on the sides of the glass. This is one of the best looking lager I've seen. It's pretty inviting.

The nose is mild as I'm sure it's designed. A bit of sweet caramel malt and not much else. I like the crispness and the lack of obvious adjunct malt as typical in this type of lager style.

The taste, for a split second seems alright, then it just takes a nose dive into the oblivion. A huge rubbery taste come out. It's so distracting I can't even try and pick out anything else. It's unappealing to say the least. I had such high hopes for this beer.

The rubbery taste transfers into a slick type mouthfeel and ruins that as well. not as compete as the taste but enough for it to not be too good. The drinkability, if I block out the rubber taste isn't actually too bad. I finished the whole 24oz. without much fanfare despite the rubber taste.

I really had high hopes for this beer, I can't get it in IL but picked up a can in TN specifically to review because of it's reputation. i hope it's just a mishandled can because if all Yuengling tastes like rubber then I can't trust any more east coasters BA opinions anymore.

weatherdog, Dec 19, 2010

BenTherHppedThat, Dec 09, 2011
2.75/5  rDev -19.4%

SkiBum22, Sep 04, 2014
3.48/5  rDev +2.1%

Light amber, crystal clear with what appears to be lots of carbonation that leads to a soapy foam head of roughly 1-2 fingers. Retention is about average, eventually going to a thin ring of white. No real lacing to speak of.

Thin aromas of grainy malt and some faint hops, a little citrus & a little floral. Hard to discern the hops. Nothing special jumping out at me but still pleasant with a sense of balance.

I was a little bit surprised with the flavors after the relatively mediocre aromas. Although very balanced, there was still enough flavor in the brew that you can find the malts up front with a slightly dry hop finish. Very clean with not much linger, rather refreshing overall.

The carbonation was not as heavy as it appeared to be on the pour and actually suited the character of the brew quite nicely. I felt the mouthfeel to be adequate and enjoyable.

This was a decent brew. I didn't have high expectations for it and was honestly a little surprised at how much I enjoyed it. Given the choice between this and the typical American macro brews, I'd take this one first any day.

SIRIUS2, Sep 15, 2008

diesel59, Jul 16, 2014
3.85/5  rDev +12.9%

From BeerAdvocate Magazine Volume II, Issue I:

This is the oldest brewery in America and adored by college students all across the Atlantic, from Florida to New York. We are talking cult status, where the Northeast would be a viable market, yet there is still no interest from the brewery. Go figure.

Not much in the head department as it drops down to a very thin ring of lace. Clear and amber in color. Slight hop aroma of citrus and rough herb, malt is a little wet and vaguely toasted in the nose. Big on crispness with a moderate body and slick mouthfeel. Hop bitterness is a little rough around the edges, a trait of Cluster hops and the Cascade hops drop a quick kiss of citrus on the palate. Grainy but sweet and grassy throughout from the malt character. Finishes semi-dry with a pretty clean after taste.

Decent drinking, we look to this beer as a filler to switch things up. All in all, at least a step or two above most mass-produced lagers.

BeerAdvocate, Nov 13, 2009

Cuvie62, Mar 19, 2013
3.53/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I am a fan of beers in the red/amber category. Yuengling is on tap at many bars and restaurants in my area (upstate NY) and I've enjoyed it for quite some time.

I recently bought a case of cans and to my surprise I found I wasn't nearly as fond of it in that serving type. I can't recall any other brew where the serving type affected my opinion to the degree of Yuengling.

I have since had it in the bottle and find it better than the can but still not as good as on tap. Has anyone else experienced this with Yuengling?

goldold, Jul 03, 2007

MikeC144, Apr 09, 2014
2.38/5  rDev -30.2%

Pours a clear amber with hints of orange and a small head that quickly falls. Sweet cereal grains along with a grassy/herbal hop nose. Unremarkable, yet unoffensive.

First sip opens with a crisp, grainy malt body with hints of caramel and corn. Fairly sweet flavor profile. This went well along with some leftover chinese food. Grassy, herbal hops show up on the swallow.

Fairly light body that relies on carbonation to make it feel fuller. Not a beer I'd ever seek out. Still this is a step above the major macros. Why the hell do they have to use a green bottle?? Thanks to kmpitz2 for hooking me up with this one.

orbitalr0x, Apr 19, 2005
2.5/5  rDev -26.7%

loose5682, Apr 18, 2013
4.75/5  rDev +39.3%

markallmon, Mar 17, 2012
3.2/5  rDev -6.2%

I tried this beer for the first time several weeks ago at a friends party. I was pleasantly surprised.

A- Light copper color with a small head.

S- Sweet Malt

T- I didn't notice much malts and it was light bodied but not watery.

M- Light bodied

D- I would drink this beer again because it's great drinkability. I think that's the best quality of this beer. It's not amazing but it will do for a nice night of relaxing or a game with the guys.

newcastleme, Aug 06, 2010

When you first crack open a can of yeungling traditional lager you hear the hiss of the carbonation escaping into fresh air. The tightly sealed sacred nectar awaiting. The thick foamy lager is a must for any season. Upon taking your first sip you can feel the carbonation tart your tounge in sourness. Overall it's a great beer. While not a summer craft or seasonal Sam Adams it tops my list as #3 of my all time favorite summer beers.

Ed_Sandy, Jul 09, 2013