Yuengling Traditional Lager - Yuengling Brewery

Yuengling Brewery visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

American Amber / Red Lager |  4.40% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-28-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Yuengling Traditional Lager Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,605 | Hads: 5,804

This is a truly classic American beer. An obvious interpretation of the classic European pre-pilsner lager style beers(Yuengling has been in business since 1829, 13 years before the pilsner style first appeared), it has a feel that the big megabrewers simply have been unable to capture. My only disappointment with Yuengling is that it's not available in Illinois. (365 characters)

Hands down the best beer ever. I've had countless microbrews and domestics and there is no contest; Yuengling has the best drinkability and flavor of any beer available in the United States. If anyone rates this beer less than a 5 they're a beer snob and you should dismiss their opinion and try it for yourself. (312 characters)

This is the best Amber Lager I have ever had, and possibly the best lager period. The flavor profile is exceptional and very drinkable. There is nothing offensive or unpleasant about this brew.

Would absolutely seek out and purchase again. Unfortunately it is not sold in the Midwest. I will get it every chance I get though. (326 characters)

There are some crazy ass new labels out there but look at the perfection we have right here. 1) Smooth as it can be. 2) Price, can't beat it. 3) Nostalgia - it just takes you back to your glory days. It’s pretty funny, anytime I'm at a party and I see Yuengling it just brings a smile to this old man's face. Not sure why, reminds of me of my collegiate glory year. (371 characters)

This is my first review because this is my favorite beer. At this point, I know about where the quality of this brew is, which is good, but not superlative. (It does pass the only two quality tests I know of though. If you serve it warm, it still tastes fine, and there's not a beer I've ever tried that will make the taste of Yuengling Traditional suffer if you try them head to head) The reason why it still stands up as my favorite is because I've got moderate taste, and because this is my go-to beer. It is pretty good at everything in my opinion. You can use this as a session beer, you can drink it with food, you can drink it on a hot day. There's no time I can think of where you might want a beer where you could go wrong with Yuengling Traditional Lager. That said, I think its hard to beat the appearance in the green bottle (no problem with skunking for me since I live less than a day's drive from the brewery). The contrast of green bottle and dark lager is pleasing. Its head is not reliable, but reaches a respectable size when it does form and it does usually leave a bit of lacing. The smell is about what a beer should smell like. Yeasty and malty with some tang from the hops. Taste is more of the same. Malt and some noticable yeast. It tends more towards sweet than bitter, but there is little bitter there for balance. The most consistent "notes" I detect is a little grass and maybe a really faint bit of citrus. One of my favorite things about Yuengling Traditional Lager are the hops they use. I don't know the variety, but they are one of my favorites because they add an interesting and fairly complex flavor without excessive bitterness (something few beers do). For some reason the taste seems to be more pronounced in the bottle. The aroma and more suble taste aspects of the hops can dissapate in a pint glass sometimes Also, I notice at least one person ahead of me said this has no "adjunct" ingredients. I'm not sure this is true. If there are added "adjuncts", sure they're low on the list, and definately there's no rice, but I suspect there may be some corn in here. Though that may just be the yeast and hops messing with me because the corn is another thing I can only seem to get from the bottle. Anyway, the mouthfeel... pretty medium (surprise!). This is also a plus for me. Its heavy enough so that I know I'm drinking a real beer, but it still slides down easy. For this reason drinkability gets a really high rating. Between the consistently pleasant taste, and the not too heavy feel, Yuengling Traditional Lager goes down really easy. As I try new beers, the chances I'll order one of these has decreased some, I do like variety. But in the end this is still my favorite. And I think its a testament to the good taste of the area I live in that Yuengling Traditional is almost as common around here as Bud/Miller/Coors. Its about the same price besides. Its certainly hard to beat in that respect. (2,946 characters)

Great beer if you're looking for a better taste than Coors, Miller, and Bud Light. I keep a stock of it in my fridge for grilling or just to watch football games. (162 characters)

i this is my Favorite beer i wish i could get it in Chicago, this is a Smooth amber beer with a gold color. pours with little head. it has a Malt,Wood smell to it. it a great summer beer to have wile on the beach or on the golf course. the only bad thing about it is i cant get it in the Midwest so i don't get to drink it that often.

if you can get it don't see why anyone would Drink bud or miller over it (409 characters)

Yuengling is simply the best domestic beer available, regardless of can, bottle, or keg. Yuengling is a standby for all those that just want a good lager. (155 characters)

This is "my beer." It's my go-to, grab a six pack to enjoy an evening of beer drinking, beer.

I can't believe it is as good as it is. It TOTALLY DOMINATES the "mid-market" tier of beers, and kicks Miller/Bud/Coors/Old Style to the curb, down the street, and off into the river.

MARVELOUS flavor, color, balance, and depth. It's not a heavy beer by any means, but brings over just enough elements of those "bad boy" brews into an eminently drinkable and desirable beer.

It has this wonderful amber color that everyone is trying to copy. Rolling Rock has one, Bud Amber is another, and many more try to line this one up to compete on the same terms.

They all fail miserably. Yuengling Traditional Lager is the best tasting beer in this category that exits. While their other products are decent, this one takes the cake.

I give it a 4.25 because even though it is my favorite, I still reserve higher listings for truly perfect beers, like Sierra Nevada Pale Ale - the current dominant American Craft Masterpiece. (1,019 characters)

I have to give this beer tops all the way. My virgin tastebuds thought it was chinese (because before i knew better i thought it was) and tasted outside of the (now awful) usual bud-light 97% of the losers surrounding me drank. I found it on tap at my favorite watering-hole for $3/pint back in 2012. Maybe it was the price but we began a relationship that brought me to new highs. I visited the tampa brewery back then and really like the fact it was a family that just grew with the demand. It wasn't a corporate brand and to me it seemed like a good thing that did it the right way. I could go on about why I love Yuengling but to me this beer has a place in my heart. It will always be my go-to beer and thats why it deserves 5/5 all the way. It has a slight toasted and subtle caramel flavor. you could drink it all day and not go overboard. it puts you in the right place. The story behind it and the ever expanding dreams of production make it taste better. On tap, in the bottle, or poured into my 180 year anniversary commemorative glass, it all tastes good. Its more American than any beer out there. Its the oldest beer and its quintessentially ( whatever that means) the life-blood of patriots who know a good time. To me theres beers I'll like, new tastes I'll enjoy but they'll always be Yuengling. (1,312 characters)

I'm rating this beer against its competitors. This is a standard beer and much better than bud or coors or miller and all the others. When buying a 24 pack for a group of friends coming over this is the best and I have rated as such. 5 across the board. Of course when looking for something with character this is not it, but I don't think they were competing with them. You need to rate this beer according to what they were going for. (436 characters)

4.89/5  rDev +43.4%

America's Oldest Brewery what can i say...

This beer was born out of the American spirit of drinking, we took what the Germans knew about beer and made it better. It may have not won any awards but this beer is great. In fact this is my favorite beer, most German beers give off a bitter taste. The taste of this beer reminds me of marijuana, and that's not a bad thing. (371 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +42.2%

Yuengling is a beer for all seasons. Robust enough for the cold months, and refreshing enough for the heatwaves. Beautiful crispness and bite with each swig, and a nice amber color to complement a beautiful pour. But forget that man, this is enjoyed right from the bottle. When its ice cold it is delicious and dangerously drinkable. As it warms you get more of the hop bite which is pretty cool. Definitely a beer you can drink 12 of or enjoy with a meal. Yuengling is a terrific beer, in my opinion a perfect beer. I could drink this year round. Living in the northeast, the scarcity and mystique of it only adds to its legend. My favorite beer. (647 characters)

4.84/5  rDev +41.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Yuengling Tradional Amber Lager is easily one of the best beers I've ever had...let alone American beers. I first recall having it on tap on my 4th of July vacation back in 2011 at Ticonderoga, New York. The Best Western my brothers and I were staying at had a hotel bar with Yuengling on tap. Never saw the name before and gave it a shot. I was pleasantly surprised. Very full, tasty, with a bit of bite. Along with at $3.25 a beer you couldn't go wrong. Since then I've gone out of my way to get some Yuengling Amber Lager any way I could. Through friends and even driving to the nearest Walmart in New York for a Yuengling run.
Anyways when poured it comes out in my glass with an amber brownish color. Following a nice head. Even the head tastes good without it being overpowering in the glass. But it definitely lets you know its there. The smell is reminiscent of a good lager. Hints of barley, malts, and something I can't really put my finger on. Tastewise...I may get some ball busting for this but to me it tastes like if Sam Adams Boston Lager had a baby with Miller Genuine Draft. Very well brewed with some bite to it. Through the bottles there isn't too much carbonation so it works well in the mouth. Overall Yuengling Traditional Amber Lager is one of the best beers out there. There aren't any other beers I would drive 200mi+ there and back to buy or pay extra for someone else to get for me. Easily one of the best lagers I've ever drank. If given the chance I do recommend trying Yuengling Lager. You won't regret it. (1,538 characters)

4.84/5  rDev +41.9%

First had this beer at bachelor party for my brother in law. Smells wonderful and the taste is unique, but a taste that makes you want more. This is a mans beer for sure. Was a little intimidated by the green bottle, but the green bottle is just a small price for a good beer such as this. (289 characters)

4.83/5  rDev +41.6%

This is my all time favorite and the one that is always available in my home. (Thus the lofty ratings). Many others are in a rotation of the brews I love to try, to bring in some variety, or to enjoy as seasonals are released. In bottle or on tap, this is hands-down my benchmark for comparisons. (296 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +40.8%

This is by far my favorite beer. I love the taste and I love the look of it. It is a lager and it shows. The color is great, the head is always there and the taste is exceptional. I highly recommend this beer to anyone in the area, I just wish it was available other places I travel to. (286 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +40.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Yuengling is my go to beer. The taste is well balanced, well brewed and color is unique.
Bottled is my first choice, cans taste strong maybe because of the aluminum, and drafts very rarely taste flat but still drinkable...but bottles are the full drinking experience (266 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +40.8%

One of the things I truly miss about living in Ohio instead of Pennsylvania is the availability of the fine products produced by America's oldest brewery. Fortunately, I'm close enough to make a few "beer runs" and stock up on my beloved Yuengling beers.

Yuengling Traditional Lager (at one time, named "Amber Lager") is one of, if not the, finest domestically produced lager.

It's color is a delightful amber. It produces an excellent pour with a moderate head with moderate durability.

When properly poured, the carbonation releases nicely. The result is an extremely drinkable brew that is completely and thoroughly enjoyable.

To me, the taste strikes an excellent balance. A nice amount of creaminess, but no offensive "over-the-top" sweetness. The malt is obvious and noticeable, but not overly stated. The hops release later in the taste experience, making this beer highly drinkable.

For those from Northeastern PA, you will know that this beer compliments Middleswarth potato chips flawlessly. In fact, it works well with many foods.

If you've got the opportunity to try a traditional lager, I highly recommend you do so! (1,138 characters)

4.79/5  rDev +40.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Why would you pay a helluva lot more for a helluva lot less when it comes to beer?
Hard to go wrong with the crown prince from the oldest brewery in the country.
Maybe the best bang for the buck of any beer in America.
Especially when you consider the price.
You could pay a whole lot more for a whole lot less when it comes to quality.
No pretext.
This beer does exactly what it is intended to do, within the price range.
A nice, smooth flavorful brew that goes down well, just about anytime, anywhere. (503 characters)

4.78/5  rDev +40.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

I am so glad I picked this up at the last minute on my way out of Florida. I really wish they would distribute it outside of the East Coast.
I was wondering how an adjunct lager could be so amazing and now I know: it's not one. It's an amber lager, of course. Still, it's quite delicious. Hits the spot impeccably if you're craving a real good lager-style taste. Perfect maltiness, sweetness, and mild bitterness. It even has a kiss of fruitiness to it. This is really great stuff in my opinion. Just the absolute perfect middle-of-the-road mix of lager flavours. You'd be hard-pressed to make something more delicious while remaining so incredibly refreshing. I am getting more and more jealous of the east coast. (715 characters)

4.76/5  rDev +39.6%

Ever since I first had this fine beer years ago I was in love. My old man calls it "the elixir of the gods" and I agree full heatedly, and maybe I'm bias because I'm from Philly, but it's my favorite beer (currently).

It looks very irresistible in a pint glass, a rich amber color. The smell is not the most powerful, but extremely inviting. It's the most fantastic lager I've ever had, it's not over powering and yet very bold. This is one of very of very few drinks I have to be careful with because it goes down so incredibility smooth I can't keep track of how many I've have.

So in short, if I could only drink one beer for the rest of my life you can put money on Yuengling Traditional Amber Lager. I mean for Crist sate Yuengling is the oldest brewery in America, they must know what the hell they are doing. (821 characters)

4.76/5  rDev +39.6%

Fabulous everyday beer, and at under $20/case, you can afford to do so. Not too heavy, not to light. The bottles always have a smell that's not off, but not wholesome like on draft. The beer still pairs well with almost anything you're eating or is fine by itself on an evening out or home watching sports (305 characters)

4.76/5  rDev +39.6%

A "tall boy" 24 oz can into a 16 oz Bud glass.

Pours a deep amber color with a tick creamy head, lots of lacing.

Slightly spicy and hoppy aroma. Also notes of malted barley.

Rich, malty flavor, great mouthfeel, very smooth and pleasing. No displeasing aftertaste.

Great drinkability! Probably the best macro lager on the market! (332 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +39.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I know that larger breweries tend to get very negative reviews, but this beer, in my opinion, is by far the best beer for the money. What more can you ask for in a beer that costs the same as Bud Light. It is also easily found in stores, at least here in Tampa, where they have their second brewery. I am not affiliated with the company, but sincerely think this is the best beer to drink on a regular basis. The color, smell, taste and carbonation is near perfect, and is a very drinkable beer. Sometimes I drink it out of a glass, and other times I drink it out of the bottle. When I go to a restaurant that has it on tap, I get it on tap, and it is awesome. Don't get me wrong, I also enjoy local brews and micro-breweries, but this is my "go to" beer. Cheers! (763 characters)

Yuengling Traditional Lager from Yuengling Brewery