Yuengling Traditional Lager - Yuengling Brewery

Yuengling Brewery visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

American Amber / Red Lager |  4.40% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-28-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Yuengling Traditional Lager Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,618 | Hads: 5,925
4.78/5  rDev +41.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

I am so glad I picked this up at the last minute on my way out of Florida. I really wish they would distribute it outside of the East Coast.
I was wondering how an adjunct lager could be so amazing and now I know: it's not one. It's an amber lager, of course. Still, it's quite delicious. Hits the spot impeccably if you're craving a real good lager-style taste. Perfect maltiness, sweetness, and mild bitterness. It even has a kiss of fruitiness to it. This is really great stuff in my opinion. Just the absolute perfect middle-of-the-road mix of lager flavours. You'd be hard-pressed to make something more delicious while remaining so incredibly refreshing. I am getting more and more jealous of the east coast.

4.76/5  rDev +41.2%

Ever since I first had this fine beer years ago I was in love. My old man calls it "the elixir of the gods" and I agree full heatedly, and maybe I'm bias because I'm from Philly, but it's my favorite beer (currently).

It looks very irresistible in a pint glass, a rich amber color. The smell is not the most powerful, but extremely inviting. It's the most fantastic lager I've ever had, it's not over powering and yet very bold. This is one of very of very few drinks I have to be careful with because it goes down so incredibility smooth I can't keep track of how many I've have.

So in short, if I could only drink one beer for the rest of my life you can put money on Yuengling Traditional Amber Lager. I mean for Crist sate Yuengling is the oldest brewery in America, they must know what the hell they are doing.

4.76/5  rDev +41.2%

Fabulous everyday beer, and at under $20/case, you can afford to do so. Not too heavy, not to light. The bottles always have a smell that's not off, but not wholesome like on draft. The beer still pairs well with almost anything you're eating or is fine by itself on an evening out or home watching sports

4.76/5  rDev +41.2%

A "tall boy" 24 oz can into a 16 oz Bud glass.

Pours a deep amber color with a tick creamy head, lots of lacing.

Slightly spicy and hoppy aroma. Also notes of malted barley.

Rich, malty flavor, great mouthfeel, very smooth and pleasing. No displeasing aftertaste.

Great drinkability! Probably the best macro lager on the market!

4.75/5  rDev +40.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I know that larger breweries tend to get very negative reviews, but this beer, in my opinion, is by far the best beer for the money. What more can you ask for in a beer that costs the same as Bud Light. It is also easily found in stores, at least here in Tampa, where they have their second brewery. I am not affiliated with the company, but sincerely think this is the best beer to drink on a regular basis. The color, smell, taste and carbonation is near perfect, and is a very drinkable beer. Sometimes I drink it out of a glass, and other times I drink it out of the bottle. When I go to a restaurant that has it on tap, I get it on tap, and it is awesome. Don't get me wrong, I also enjoy local brews and micro-breweries, but this is my "go to" beer. Cheers!

4.75/5  rDev +40.9%

Excellent brew. Even my very picky wife loves this lager. It is simply a great tasting lager with a perfect finish with no aftertaste. Availability is limited geographically, so you may need to drive to find it. I can see why people around here drive 3.5 hours to Tennessee to buy it and bring it back!

4.73/5  rDev +40.4%

A: This amazing beer has a slight amber color

S: Slight Hop Smell, Very Slight

T: For a Non-Craft Beer, this is the best tasting beer. Hard to explain, not complex but amazing.

M: Very full, slight carbonation, amazingly smooth finish

D: There is no better beer in my opinion for a session beer.

From the oldest brewery in the US, and growing faster than any brewer this size. My only regret is I can't get in LA.

4.7/5  rDev +39.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Ok I've been drinking this beer for years before I tried it on tap. My response to this is: WOW!

I have never, ever tasted such a difference in a beer when drank on tap rather than in the bottle! When drinking out of a bottle, you get that great, medium bodied flavor full of malt and hops with a subtle, glorious aftertaste. When drank on tap, you get the aftertaste as the full taste of the beer, very very enjoyable and very inexpensive here in PA.

Yuengling has the great, all American feel to it, and an awesome dark golden brown look to it with a thick head and good lacing all the way down the glass.

One of my favorite beers, and definitely one to get on tap if they offer it at your local pub!

4.69/5  rDev +39.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

No time for a full blown review but let me just say that this is my all time favorite commercial brew. Unbelievable flavor for the price. Beer snobs who turn their nose up at this one are missing the boat. Incredibly refreshing and satisfying. Outstanding in every aspect from color to flavor!

4.68/5  rDev +38.9%

Pours a beautiful amber color with a white heading. Smells of caramel mostly and very dank hops. Excellent carbonation and almost no lacing. Goes down very smoothly and isn't too gassy. To me the best american lager I've tasted and really does own the name Lager. Another thing if you can try this on tap it just seems to be much different in a keg rather than bottled.

4.68/5  rDev +38.9%

There is never a time when I do not feel like drinking a Yuengling. This beer is a wonderful all-around beer. Not too light, not too powerful, and always delicious.

4.68/5  rDev +38.9%

This beer has a breathtaking red tinge to it.
This beer has slide down my throat like my own saliva.
This beer...Sustains all life.
This beer has the most amazing label ever
I'm sure I'm biased on this beer, being that I'm from philly, but I've never seen a more beautiful beer in my ridiculously experienced 20 years. Everything about this beer says traditional american lager to me. It's basically pre prohibition american lager. This is before Satan peed in our beer and left us with that feminized swill we call coors, budweiser, or miller, or any other "American Lager." The Yuengling brewrey has the longest history of any brewrey still in buisiness and is still centered in a Pennsylavania coal town. This beer is so awsome I want to cry. And right now, i'm so full of yuengling that my tears would taste like it!!! DELAWARE VALLEY PRIDE! center of the universe.

4.66/5  rDev +38.3%

Before visiting Germany in the Summer of 2004, I was not a picky beer drinker. As a college freshman I would drink whatever I could get my hands on. While in Germany I sampled many of the house "pils" with every meal. Upon returning to the U.S. I found that Yuengling was the closest to German beer that U.S. beers were ever going to get.

As with any beer, this one is most enjoyable on tap. The deep amber color of the beer is beautiful and the head is minimal and fades away rather fast. The smell is not as potent as the taste of the beer itself, but is still a sweet aroma. This is a fairly heavy beer that definitely needs to be drank in moderation. I feel that pouring into a chilled pint glass is also very enjoyable. The colder the better I say.

This is the BEST domestic lager in my opinion

4.66/5  rDev +38.3%

Had never ever heard of this beer. But was on vacation in Fort Lauderdale, Florida. My wife and I went to dinner at a local restuarant on the beach and they had this stuff on tap. I was curious--wife got the usual and I tried one of these beers. Could not believe it! May have been the most flavorful beer I have ever had. I am lobbying the Indiana State alcohol board to allow this beer to come into Indiana. Hopefully it happen.

4.65/5  rDev +38%

Great beer from an old brewery in Pottsville, PA. Smooth, good flavor without being bitter. Does not taste carbinated like many American beers. My daughter mails me a case every Fathers Day. Even my German friends love it! Yuenglings Light beer version is also better than most light beers.

4.65/5  rDev +38%

I can't believe I never reviewed lager, as it was simply referred to in pittsburgh. For the 10 years I lived there, I drank this like water. Back on the east coast for work and I had to grab some.

Appearance is a clear light amber with an off-white head leaving light, scattered lace.

Smell is sweet grain, a hint of metal and sulfer, classic and inoffensive. As my wife would say, as she does for every beer period, but in this case would actually be right, it smells like beer!

Taste is also sweet, smooth, light. Nice bit of maltiness, a hint of leafy hops and hint of grain on the clean finish. A classic taste I've grown to love, perfect and definitive of the style.

Mouthfeel is crisp, light bodied.

Drinkability is super high. I could, and have drank these all day. Just enough taste to satisfy but still keep it highly sessionable, the benchmark American lager in my opinion. Also, one of the only beers I prefer out of a can.

4.63/5  rDev +37.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

One of the first beers I remember Actually Enjoying. These days, on my trips back to PA, I find myself drinking Yuengling out of a can. I grew up drinking Yuengling in a bottle, but the can seems to have a better taste. It may be time for Yuengling to switch to a Brown Bottle. Summer in a Can.

4.6/5  rDev +36.5%

This is one of my favorite beers. It is the oldest beer brewed in America, yet for some reason it has only recently taken off in the last few years. I live in Georgia and we still can not buy it here. I have to go to one of the surrounding states. (Very annoying by the way.)

But this is a great tasting lager, do not be afraid to try it because you won't regret it.

4.58/5  rDev +35.9%

There is a reason this beer is found on tap in every bar in eastern PA and possibly the whole state. This is my go-to beer for every Friday happy hour despite living in a region fairly rich in brewpubs.

Incredibly balanced and smooth drinking.

In my opinion, the best quality of this beer is the finish. Toasted and dry, making you crave the next gulp!

Just ask for a lager. Everyone in PA knows what you want. If you need to clarify, it is pronounced YING-LING.

4.55/5  rDev +35%

A: Boring, but it's a lager

S: Not too complex, but like I said, it's a lager.

T: Tastes the way a lager should. I think it has the perfect arc of flavor for the type of beer. Wish I could explain it more but...you know.

M: Medium carbonation and watery. It's a lager; what did you expect?

O: I don't drink a ton of lagers. The first beer that I ever liked was a Guinness, so I'm definitely more interested in ales, porters, and stouts. But this beer was really refreshing. In terms of lagers, it can't get much better. In terms of beer, this is nothing to write home about.

4.52/5  rDev +34.1%

The ideal casual beer, great for any occasion.

Smooth taste, and maybe it's psychosomatic, but to me the beer even has a unique, slightly corn-y taste it to (corn is used in the brewing process).

Looks sharp, smells the way a traditional beer should, and goes down easy.

And if you are ever in Northeastern Pennsylvania, I highly recomend stopping by for a tour of the historic brewery. You might even meet one of the Yuengling daughters there.

4.5/5  rDev +33.5%

Hands Down Yuengling Traditional Lager is my Favorite American Beer. Balanced perfectly, while I think Original Sam Adams is too bitter. The Alcohol content is lower than most American Beers, which makes is more enjoyable in my opinion. I first Discovered this beer while stopping over at PHL airport, and 10 years later, I was finally able to drink it again while working in the USA. I believe its taste balance of mild bitters and sweetness with the perfect amount of carbonation makes it superior to the fizz water of the Mega American Beer Companies produce. Anytime in the eastern US, it is my Beer of choice everytime.

4.5/5  rDev +33.5%

Old faithful here. Used to be my "everyday" beer and were it not for a more curious beer appetite, probably still would be. Easy to drink, tastes much better than anything coming out of St. Louis or Milwaukee.

4.5/5  rDev +33.5%

I can't believe I missed out on trying this beer years ago. It gets overlooked and pushed to the side for bigger and more advertised brews. I picked it up not too long ago and found that this is a well hidden secret. I was truly set to my Budlights and New Belgium beers. Not anymore, this is my new go-to beer everyday of the week. It is very affordable at IGA, roughly $4 for a 6 pack. Pretty good buzz compared to any other Lager. The tatse is exceptional, however the labeling can be deceiving. I think they need a make-over, new labeling, few commercials, keep the same ingredients and your golden! If I had the money, I would try to buy some shares from the owners in this company. I'm on my 5th beer this afternoon and I wish I had another 6. Very good beer, defies the green bottle skuny theory, lol.

4.5/5  rDev +33.5%

I am drinking this beer right after a High Life, and the distinctions between the two are clear. I have become a fan of Yuengling, as it is a much richer, more complex Lager than any of the American adjuncts. The High Life almost tastes like water compared to this beer. I prefer Sam Adams Boston Lager over this beer, but I can't think of many other Lagers that I have had that top it for the price. I think it deserves a good rating for it's unique qualities and original taste. It's a real good Lager.

Yuengling Traditional Lager from Yuengling Brewery