Yuengling Traditional Lager - Yuengling Brewery

Yuengling Brewery visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

American Amber / Red Lager |  4.40% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-28-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Yuengling Traditional Lager Alström Bros
first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next › last
Reviews: 1,584 | Hads: 5,740
1.19/5  rDev -65.1%
look: 1.25 | smell: 1 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.25

The color of this beer is so deceiving, since it's an amber color, you would think that this beer will not be watery, but it is watery, so I assume, and there are rumors that this brewery is using lots of caramel color or FD&C red #40 artificial food coloring to deceive their customers into thinking that they're drinking a richer or fuller tasting beer, which doesn't taste better than other beers that are even lower priced than Yuengling TL. The taste of this beer, well, how should I put it, if you drink Samuel Adams Boston lager and then pee it out, then your piss will probably taste like Yuengling Traditional Lager, but, oh well, to each his own. (656 characters)

1.24/5  rDev -63.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1

Being a native to Pennsylvania this beer is available on tap or in bottles/cans just about anywhere that sells beer. This is honestly some of the most over-rated piss-poor beers to be produced on a cellular level.

This beer only looks appetizing to drink... It has a gorgeous amber color to it but you can literally see right through it. Head is gone after 30 seconds or less.

To me I get the scent of corn and for some reason burnt hair, I get this regardless of any serving type. It could be on tap, bottle, can, you name it... It stinks to me.

The scent is similar to it's taste, like corn... And it kind of tastes like how a restroom at McDonalds smells in the summer time. It also leaves an off-taste of metal and fish when burped after consuming.

There is way too much carbonation going on in this beer. Depending on the glass this beer can often look like a watered down Cola of some sort.

This beer sucks something awful. When people bring cases of it to my house for parties, I make sure they take the leftovers with them! (1,036 characters)

1.49/5  rDev -56.3%

12 oz can.

It pours an amber/gold with a fizzy white head that immediately dissipates and leaves no lacing.

The smell is reminiscent of an adjunct lager. Grain, cooked veggies, mineral water.

The taste is even more adjuncty, in fact i dk how this isn't an Adjunct lager, it is corny, with a certain saltiness to it. There is a thick mineral water flavor and then some malt flavor at the end.

The mouthfeel is watery.

At any rate, this is a crappy adjunct lager, nothing more. (480 characters)

1.51/5  rDev -55.7%

Decided to give this beer one last try.
Just as I remember, but this time its out of an amber double deuce bottle, not a 12oz green glass abomination.
Nice deep gold appearance with a decent initial head. Not much lacing to speak of.
Smells like every other cheap, adjunct-filled, run of the mill macro lager.
Tastes mostly of corn up front, with a little sweet malt. Strange metallic/chemical flavor. Finishes with a slightly dry hop character. Terrible flavor overall. Funky weird corn adjunct is dominant.
Feel and body are average for the style.
By the time I approached the bottom of the 22 ouncer, I wanted to dump it. Finished it by sheer force of will.
This beer sucks; wouldn't ever buy it. Appearance is nice, but other than that it's absolutely undrinkable. I'm totally bewildered by it's cult-like following.
Urine. (828 characters)

1.64/5  rDev -51.9%

Original Rating Date:
July 28, 2008

Yuck, awful skunky smell thanks to the green bottle. Taste matches, super skunk that just drowns out any semblance of actual beer taste. This beer has the same problem as Heineken, it's been fouled by light thanks to the green bottle.

Yet another beer that I have to rate off the tap to get by the stinky green bottle. Nasty... (365 characters)

1.71/5  rDev -49.9%

12 oz. bottle poured in a pint glass.

Decent color, minimal head, little carbonation.

Smells like a typical macro adjunct lager. Nothing to speak of, or savor. Ditto on the mouthfeel and taste. Slightly bready, malt flavors, no real hop kick at all, and an annoying metallic aftertaste. Tried a 2nd bottle poured into a Pislner glass, and got half-way through it before I started to get that weird twinge of a headache I get from all macro-brewed adjuncts.

An incredibly boring and unsatisfying brew. Around these parts it's the beer that the local hipsters buy to show they are hipper than the hipsters who adore PBR.

The real question: Why did I spend $5.99 of a six-pack of this bilge water, when for 2 bucks more I could have had a World-Class brew like Weihenstephaner Original?

Never again ... (806 characters)

1.71/5  rDev -49.9%

Appearance - Clear copper color with light lacing.

Smell – Light earthy hop smell.

Taste –Watered down light malty taste.

Mouthfeel – heavy carbonation that is rough on the palate.

Overall: Very Anti-Climatic. Other than the appearance there is almost nothing else going on. (282 characters)

1.74/5  rDev -49%

Unremarkable yellowish-brown with huge bubbles in the off-white head and moderate carbonation. Too-strong caramel, malts, and a bit of sulphur define the smell and taste, with a bit of hoppiness adding to the latter. Lacks depth and doesn't make up for it with pleasant flavors. I wonder if this bottle's gone bad because I don't remember Yuengling beiing this unpleasant back in college. (388 characters)

1.83/5  rDev -46.3%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

On-tap at Brews Brothers, Pittston, PA

A - crystal clear golden color

S - typical for style

T - Clean in beginning, slight hop presence, but off tasting adjunct beer flavor at end that lingers too long.

M - thin, cardboardy

O - could do in a pinch if it's the only thing available. the rest of the draft list at this location was filled with light this, and light that. so this was the best option (402 characters)

1.84/5  rDev -46%

This smelled and tasted like a skunks ass. Not sure if that is normal or not, either way I don't care because I would never have another. I can't think of any reason why anyone would choose this beer with so many better options out there. (239 characters)

1.85/5  rDev -45.7%

Yuengling Lager is a slight step up from BMC products. The beer actually pours slightly darker than expected, w/ little head or lacing. The smell is that of malt, and some slight hops.. There's a skunky smell in there as well. The taste profile is the same as the nose- not very good. Not complex at all. Not very tasty. Mouthfeel is very one dimensional, and has no redeeming qualities. Overall, I would not voluntarily drink this brew. Not recommended. (454 characters)

1.88/5  rDev -44.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

It was was either Yuengling or Coors Light at the restaurant last night so I opted for the Yuengling, I've had it before in bottles and liked it. This was WAY different...the color seemed right, the carbonation seeemed a little overdone but something happened to the taste. The first sip had nothing to it, very bland so I took a whiff and "Whoa?!? My beer has no smell!!" Very little hops smell, no malt or anything else. I don't know if the restaurant (Speers Street Grill in Speers PA)had a problem with their draft equipment but this was ridiculous, my water and lemon had more flavor. (589 characters)

1.92/5  rDev -43.7%

Bought 12 oz. bottle at Longwood gardens. The other choices there were Heineken and Amstel Light. Pours amber with a white foamy head. Looks good actually. Aroma of piney hops, grass and some grain. Watery on the palate, but somewhat tangy. In terms of flavor, well, I did not notice any. Definitely some earthy hops kick in the finish. (336 characters)

1.95/5  rDev -42.8%

Why do brewer's still use green bottles? I don't know how much of the off taste was due to the bottle's transparency to UV light. To me the taste of this beer is reminiscent of the skunkiness that I associate with all green bottled beer. Bad. Please use brown bottles! Brown bottles may hurt this beer in that then there would not be an excuse for skunky taste. The mouthfeel, whatever that is, felt like beer. At least this beer did not give me a headache like other cheap beers tend to do. (491 characters)

1.97/5  rDev -42.2%

my cousin brought this over for me, i've never had it before, just heard about them. supposed to be great... but this is far from it. i dont know if this one is skunked, but it is not impressive. it looks really good out of the bottle, has a nice copper color to it, head is big but dies down quickly. the smell is nearly unbearable , extremely skunky, more than even your czech pils. it is really really bad. pungent skunkiness.. taste is somewhat bitter, but very watery. little to no malt flavor, just tastes bland. mouthfeel is watery and with a little carbonation. drinkability is low. i think this one is skunked, but who knows, maybe this is how the beer is, i'm not impressed at all. (691 characters)

I grew up on this stuff 30 years ago before it was cool to like it. On par with Gibbons, Reading etc, a local brew that went mainstream in NC with great publicity. A little wierd funky flavor, a little too oaky which I don't like with a lighter lager style. Better than the big 3, but not as drinkable as PBR or Schlitz. Not even a really great outdoors style beer in the heat where brew in this catagory shine. Call it what they will but it's still an AAL. (457 characters)

Pours a golden brown color with no head...I really didn't notice much to the smell. The taste seemed a bit watered down...if you could really call it a taste. I was definitely unimpressed with this beer and am confused as to why so many people rate it better. (259 characters)

2.03/5  rDev -40.5%

I had one of these on a night that I had several different brands.

I wasn't impressed by this brew. Taste was nothing to speak of and had a watery mouthfeel. Had a slight bite to the finish I found to be unpleasant. If you were to fill a bottle with half Budweiser and half Heineken, this is what you might end up with. Very unimpressive and forgettable..

And I can think of nothing more to say. (406 characters)

2.03/5  rDev -40.5%

Look: Two finger white soap bubbles head, light copper (about a 13 SRM), Lots of Carb, Pretty Good Lacing.

Smell: Sweet Malty, Light Floral. Nothing much there.

Taste: Sweet Malt, Floral, Straw, Grains. Light drinking. Nothing really great here.

Overall: I was hoping for a bit more then bud here. It's a little maltier version of budweiser. (344 characters)

2.03/5  rDev -40.5%

I ordered this on tap at a restaurant, so I had no control over the pour, but there was no head at all. Color was amber with a slight reddish hue. No lacing left on the glass at all. The smell was unimpressive - a vague malty smell with a slight skunkiness. My wife was complaining about the smell from across the table. Taste was nothing special, but not offensive - a grainy flavor mostly, nothing complex. Thin and uninspiring mouthfeel. Better than most mainstream lagers, but I'd not get it again. (502 characters)

2.05/5  rDev -39.9%

My last can of the twelve-pack I bought a few weeks ago. Just because this is the oldest brewery in America, does not mean it deserves the praise everyone gives it.

Appearance - The consistency is pure water, waving around without any form of body whatsoever. A flat, plain-looking, over-carbonated and watery mess. No head retention, and even less impressive lacing.

Smell - What am I even smelling here? There surely is no hint of hops, spices or malt. My first smell brought on the flooded aroma of light alcohol. My next attempts gave me nothing.

Taste - This isn't a bad stand-alone lager, but I don't think it qualifies as an amber / red lager. The bite of this beer isn't just low: it's practically non-existent. I will say that I prefer this over Coors and Bud, even though they are a slightly different category. However, the beer fails to deliver on the categories description of a more robust use of malt.

Mouthfeel and Drinkability - This beer is insanely easy to session through the entire night if you don't necessarily care about what you are tasting. As I said, I'd rather encounter this brew out and about when compared to many of its rivals. Still, the beer scores fairly low in its category. I was more impressed with Yuengling's Black and Tan offering. (1,276 characters)

2.06/5  rDev -39.6%

I do not understand the affection for this beer; I never have.

Clear, brassy-copper color, and the fastest disappearing head I have ever seen. It's nice and full at first, but it is gone literally within a minute.

Slightly funky aroma. Pungent but not pleasant.

Brassy, sharp, and metallic in the mouth. Very thin and highly carbonated. Almost ginger-ale-like as it bites the tongue. It's very bitter but there is almost no malt in there to balance the bitterness.

This is a bitter, sour, horribly sharp, thin, skunky beer. It makes my tongue want to hide. (569 characters)

2.06/5  rDev -39.6%

I heard a lot of rave reviews about this beer, but simply put I was very disappointed. The beer looks good out of the bottle with a nice amber glow and a good foamy head but thats were the good ends. IMO the beer just lacks any real flavor and tastes very watered down. (269 characters)

2.06/5  rDev -39.6%

Being that Yuengling and I are both from just outside of Philadelphia, we are old acquatances. Previous to my beer awakening in the summer of 2001 I probably drank more Yuengling then any other beer. However, that does not make it any good. I've seen the error of my ways.

Yuengling Lager has a mediocre taste to it followed by a terribly dry aftertaste. It does not matter if you get a can, bottle, or on tap, it is consistently mediocre on just about every level. Did I mention how terribly dry it tastes?

The good points about this beer is that it is cheap, easily found in the extended Philadelphia area, and drinkable if needed. (643 characters)

2.1/5  rDev -38.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

I know this beer has its fans, but I honestly don't see what the big deal is.
I've tried Yuengling several times, alone and with friends, and every time I come away with the exact same result.
This beer tastes like water. I guess if you're buying a cheap beer, you could certainly do worse. The taste of nothing is much better than rice or corn adjuncts, but I can't really get excited about a beer who's main selling point is "it could be worse."

Maybe it's better when it's fresher? I'm several states away from where it's normally available, so maybe that's it, but otherwise there's nothing very special about Yuengling. Certainly nothing that would make me go out of my way for it, no matter how cheap it was. (715 characters)

first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next › last