Yuengling Traditional Lager - Yuengling Brewery

Yuengling Brewery visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

American Amber / Red Lager |  4.40% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-28-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Yuengling Traditional Lager Alström Bros
Ratings: 5,713 | Reviews: 1,676
3.63/5  rDev +6.8%

22 oz bomber picked up in a Mobil in Buffalo, NY for $1.70. Not a bad deal.

Reddish-brown body with a thin white head, no lacing.

Nose is light malt, a little corny.

Flavor is mild, malty and smooth. Not a lot of hops, but tastes good. A good basic brew.

Mouthfeel is thin, not a lot of carbonation.

Drinkabiility is pretty good. This is quite quaffable.

3.43/5  rDev +0.9%

This is definitely a good session beer. Traveling to Philly and New Jersey, it becomes my only beer when I’m forced in with the macro crowd. In college, we would buy $12 cases of lager and Lord Chesterfield and bring them back to Baltimore. It seems to be just about everywhere now.

Generally pours a lighter amber color and with a frothy white head. Average retention and lacing.

There is a faint smell of yeast and a light sulfur. Great malt sweetness and bitterness, with only a touch of hops. Adjuncts bother me near the end when it warms, making it very nice to water the flowers.

The carbonation is light. Light to medium bodied. Usually leaves a slight tangy aftertaste. This is an easy-drinking every-day choice that is quality in a can for fishing trips. Not bad in the green bottle, but I stick away from the draft

3.92/5  rDev +15.3%

This is the first serious beer I drank while attending college, and it certainly has influenced my taste in beers since then. It's starting to be found very commonly in the mid-atlantic and I find it goes great with any heavier meal. It's not the best beer I've ever had, but it's a solid choice that can be easily found.

2.63/5  rDev -22.6%

When I first tried this beer I thought it was really great. Soon after my taste changed for it and now it is nothing special to me. Not sure why.

A- Poured into a pint glass this beer has an interesting yellowish-orange color. Sort of a pale amber. Decent amount of carbonation, white bubbly head that doesn't stick around.

S- Slightly roasted, sweet and corny.

T- It tastes interesting. Unfortunately not the kind of interesting I like. It has a sort of fruity-hoppy taste that finishes sour. I don't like the way this beer ends at all.

M- Too fizzy. It is dry in the mouth but not balanced at all. Thin taste, not boring but I can't put my finger on what makes it so nasty to me.

D- I'll only drink this from the bottle if I have one at all now. Drinking from a pint glass just fills my senses with bad noise.

4.8/5  rDev +41.2%

This is by far my favorite beer. I love the taste and I love the look of it. It is a lager and it shows. The color is great, the head is always there and the taste is exceptional. I highly recommend this beer to anyone in the area, I just wish it was available other places I travel to.

3.21/5  rDev -5.6%

appearance: The pour gives a 0.5" khaki head that steadily recedes to leave a nice, thin layer and a ring. The beer is medium amber in color.

smell: Light pale and caramel grains with a surprisingly decent hop aroma. Some hints of apple.

mouthfeel: The carbonation is a high medium, and the body light.

taste: Pale grainy flavors dominate with a touch of sweet toasted amber. Nondescript hop flavor, but there IS some hop flavor, with a light bitterness.

drinkability: Not nearly as flavorless as other macro lagers, it actually has a little character to it. Quite drinkable.

1.74/5  rDev -48.8%

Unremarkable yellowish-brown with huge bubbles in the off-white head and moderate carbonation. Too-strong caramel, malts, and a bit of sulphur define the smell and taste, with a bit of hoppiness adding to the latter. Lacks depth and doesn't make up for it with pleasant flavors. I wonder if this bottle's gone bad because I don't remember Yuengling beiing this unpleasant back in college.

2.72/5  rDev -20%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Pours a deep copper breadcrust mixed nicely with volcanic bubbles ascending to the surface. About one and a half finger head with a thick foam. A slightly placid malt aroma and light bitterness seeping around at the end of my nostrils. The malts really permeates my sinus even. Light amber malts give a hint of bittersweet mixed with pellets of undesdinguishable pellets of hops.

3.5/5  rDev +2.9%

Pours a light brownish color with little head, retention, or lacing(from a bottle into a mug). Smells like a lager...malty, sharp, crisp. The light malt taste matches the smell, and is followed by a slight hoppy bitterness. This beer has a lighter body to it, with a fairly good amount of carbonation...crisp. Overall a good beer, and can be found at a very good price.

3.25/5  rDev -4.4%

Crystal clear amber gold - loose, bubbly head is quickly gone leaving a few spots of lace on top. Faint lagery smell with a touch of sweet bready brain. Clean, sweet pale-malt flavor with a slight dry appleness. Thin, crisp, smooth mouthfeel.

Meh...hard to beat for the price and serves its purpose as a utility beer. Still, I don't really see what all the fuss is about. Simple, easy drinkin' beer.

3.4/5  rDev 0%

Clear amber with a very modest off white head that disappears completely in little time. Moderate malts sum up the flavor and aroma with a bit of hops to balance. Does the job and is very drinkable. Highish carbonation, light body and slick, ok mouthfeel. There's nothing extra negative about this beer aside from being uninteresting. Certainly easy to drink as a lager should be. Sweet quick finish.

This is the first beer I've bought myself (at a grocery store no less) since I've moved from Mass to North Carolina. Now to visit the real beer stores and kick it up a notch.

2.88/5  rDev -15.3%

America's oldest brewery makes a great offering. Poured out a nice light brownish amber color from the emerald green bottle. Nice clean white head which lasted for a while. No real lacing present. Smells sharp with sweet maltness. Light sweet maltness in the taste as well. Hints of caramel or slight roastiness. Soft hop finish. Smooth all around. Nice mouthfeel and good drinkability. Great summertime brew. Get it for any cookout especially a clam bake! Makes for a great dish of steamers. Substitue for the water. Tasty inexpensive beer that I enjoy everytime I hit the lower states of the East coast. I wish it was easier to find around New England. Good overall qualities and enjoyable.

3.95/5  rDev +16.2%

This beer is readily available in Florida, so I had quite a few on holidays. It seemed to be best on-tap at Houlihan's (probably fresh with their all-day, 2-for-1 happy 'hour').

A: Copper, off-white head, very little retention or lace.

S: Floral & spicy hops, bread & caramel malt.

T: Pleasant floral & spice hop flavour (Continental nobel hops?), slight bread & grain, fairly malty for its weight.

M: Moderate body and carbonation; crisp & refreshing.

D: Very good.

When it's not fresh, the hops seem to loose out to sweet cardboard flavours.

4.3/5  rDev +26.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

I have been drinking the crap out of this beer for over a decade. Its a great go-to beer for house guests, tailgates, weddings and many other social situations. Not sure what to get? Just grab some "Lager."

It pours a golden but not quite amber color, clear, with good head formation. Smell is of malt grains and corny DMS. Taste is similar and no hop bitterness is detected. Its light-bodied and crisp. The finish is mildly astringent, but otherwise there's no complaints with this one and at this point I'm used to it anyway. Am I biased? Hell yeah! Drinkability is out-freakin'-standing.

2.85/5  rDev -16.2%

A – brown in color, a coca-cola color, half a finger of white head, scant carbonation

S – roasted malty aromas, not much else, rather uncomplex

T – the same roasted malty sweet flavor as in the aroma, with a slight citrus hint, high quality for a macro is the best compliment i can give it

M&D - drinkable, as a party beer, wouldnt make a good session beer, IMO

3.04/5  rDev -10.6%

12 oz. bottle poured into a pint glass.

A very simple, very drinkable and pleasant lager. Nice light amber color. Nothing particularly remarkable about the flavor - enjoyable, but mild; very beer tasting. Miles above American macrobrews but still a few clicks below the more famous American craft beers. With a little more character this could go from average to excellent.

2.89/5  rDev -15%

This poured a nice golden color with thick head. The retention time was about a minute until it reached a thin ring. It has a light malty smell. The taste is slightly malty with a little bit of a lingering bite. Mouthfeel is thin and a bit watery. It is a drinkable beer that is worth a try if just for the history (Oldest Brewery in America)

3.05/5  rDev -10.3%

Appearance - A light tan color poured clear into the glass. A two-finger head formed which quickly dispersed after a few minutes. Sufficient carbonation noted.

Smell - A clear and present grain aroma is the main smell when poured. I wasn't able to detect much more than that even when waiting a few minutes to sample.

Taste - A sweet malt taste without a bite at the finish. I may detect a bit of a citrus presence although I may be reading too much into it and trying to define the sweet taste as associated with citrus.

Mouthfeel - The ample carbonation left a clear presence from the froth formed upon taking a full pull. This may account for the full mouthfeel as opposed to a depth in the acutal brew.

Drinkability - Sure, I'll have another given the mass production availabilty of this beer. I was at first opposed to reviewing this beer due to the common presence of this beer in my environment (about as common as Bud and Miller at my local stores). However after feeling obligated to include this beer in my revew (afterall, I reviewed a Corona....) I was all in all suprised how enjoyable this was as a respite during the long summers here in the South.

Smell - Bring the beer to your nose. Note the

3.58/5  rDev +5.3%

I can't get Yuengling locally, but stock up thanks to the kindness of family members. This is a solid lager beer with a long and storied history. I think the fact that it is still family owned warrants patronage. It has enough body and character to distinguish itself from macros for we beer snobs. It's not going to set the world on fire when scrutinized at a tasting, but damn it, it's a very affordable, good lager beer, that is American owned and operated. Drink 1 or 2 when it's available and bask in your patriotism

2.74/5  rDev -19.4%

This is my first Yuengling, and I must admit, I was quite excited to try it. It poured an orange bronze colour with a white foamy head that faded away in a few seconds leaving only a haze of white. Several streams of bubble consistently streamed upwards, keeping the foam blanket alive. Looks pretty good. Smell was sugary sweet malts and grainy corn. That's just what I got from it. I was a bit displeased with this, as the grainy corn smell is generally to be expected in brews of lower quality, IMO; I was hoping for more from this one I suppose. Taste was malty with little hops. Sweet with a bit of a sourness on this finish if you're looking for it. Mouthfeel is decent with a bit more weight than I was expecting. Overall, I was not impressed with this. This may be the nation's oldest brewery with some fantastic history behind it, but it just isn't for me. I'd drink it again if offered by some one, but really I didn't care for it.

2.71/5  rDev -20.3%

on tap in the heart of Yuengling country, central PA

appearance is good, but head retention is awful - waiters can't get it too the table with any head left. color is good

smell is all cereal grains and low grade hops

finish is where the biggest problem arrises - all of the shortcuts in the brewhouse show ther ugly heads in the finish - cereal flavors, astringency, cheap malts, and a lingering medicinal quality. work on the finish and this'll do better

just OK , but drink it for the oldest brewery in the US - still family owned

C-

3.4/5  rDev 0%

Poured amber with fairly high carbonation and a thin white head that soon became a fairly well-retained lace.
The smell was on the thin side, but clean - some sweet malt and a hint of fresh hops.
The taste was of a fairly good balance of malt and hops. Nothing special in the taste, but nothing bad in it. medium to light bodied - a touch of wateriness, but not too much.
While nothing in particular stood out to wow me, it was clean and refreshing and had some body to it. It was a good thirst-quencher if nothing else. At five bucks for a six-pack, it's a good value for a "session" choice. It's better cold - when it warms it has a bit of an odd aftertaste.

3.18/5  rDev -6.5%

Appearance: Pours a honey color with a modest head that dissipates quickly and leaves an occasional splash of lace

Smell: A tinge of grainy aroma

Taste: Starts out a bit bready but there is no flavor development after the swallow; finishes clean and a touch sweet

Mouthfeel: Light bodied, moderately carbonated and slightly crisp

Drinkability: A decent quaffer; not much flavor but refreshing the same way water is refreshing

3.33/5  rDev -2.1%

Dark gold with a head of average size and longevity.

Aroma is grainy, husky, with light caramel tones and maybe even a hint of vanilla.

Taste is a step up from standard macros. Light caramel malt and a mild honey flavor in a medium-light body set this apart from the fizzy yellow crowd. Extremely mild bittering keeps this drinkable for the unintrepid. Fairly high carbonation and a hint of sulfur are my only complaints, and they are minor.

This has been much appreciated when the only alternatives are BMC -- I'm surprised I hadn't reviewed it yet.

4.08/5  rDev +20%

Yuengling's Traditional Lager is one of those beers that, lucky for us, is available just about anywhere here in the Mid-Atlantic on tap or in bottles. It's one of those that you come back to--sometimes when nothing else but a macro is available--and find yourself saying, "Gee, this stuff is good!"

Great, amber color, smooth mouthful with a decent head--if poured like Clipper City's Hugh Sisson says, "right into the glass to soften the carbonation and release all the great flavors the brewer intended." The taste is straightforward, with just enough complexity to allow for an enjoyable, repeatable session. Mostly malt, with just a bit of hops for tartness.

Tailgate burgers in hand, my brother-in-law and I went through a six pack before a Ravens game before we knew it. Truly a one-of-a-kind hybrid between a drinkable macro and a complex, full bodied micro. Like on the Utz potato chips ad, people who can't get Yuengling are probably screaming, "Why? Why?" That is, if they know what they're missing.

Yuengling Traditional Lager from Yuengling Brewery