Join our email list →

Yuengling Brewery
Pennsylvania, United States | website

American Amber / Red Lager | 4.40% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-28-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Yuengling Traditional Lager Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,626 | Hads: 6,014
2.68/5  rDev -20.5%

Pretty average. Nothing special or exciting about it. Very non threatening. If I had to pay two dollars a bottle more at a bar than I would have to pay for Bud Miller or Coors, I'd probably get a Bud Miller or Coors (well, not Bud).
Maybe I'd pay $1 more for a bottle if I had to.
Generally overrated, I feel, but not a bad beer.

3.47/5  rDev +3%

I had this beer in Altoona,PA and it was one of the biggest seller in the PA beer market. Now I understand why. I had it on tap, then in bottle. On tap, it pours a beautiful golden honey brown colour with a white foamy head changing very quickly to laces. It lacks smell, but its taste buys back for the lack of smell. It got lot of savour. It tastes like sort of honey beer. The mouthfeel is a little watery, but it is fun enough to be enjoyed. Overall, it was a pretty good beer on tap. In bottle, it was more average as product. I don't know why, but at least, it was much better than BMC macros.

3.05/5  rDev -9.5%

Surprisingly quaffable, for a macro lager, especially at the end of a hot day, with few beer choices at an official function. Assertive carbonation, medium mouthfeel. A tad of hops, more malt, and sweet and dry finish. Bit of yeast flavour translated as lemon.

3.33/5  rDev -1.2%

Beer pours a nice amber color with a good amount bubbles and head. IT has a little of that Euro-Sewer smell but not too bad. Not too much to talk about inteh flavor department but it is a little sweet. The mouthfeel is watery and bubbly yet smooth. Considering it is a macro it isn't that bad though. It does what a beer in this price range should do; go down easy and refresh.

2.93/5  rDev -13.1%

Beer pours a dark straw color with lots of head and lots of effervescent bubbling going on. Due to the green glass bottle instead of a brown bottle, I think maybe so light reactions occur with this beer, giving it a slight skunk odor/ taste. These smells and odors are not bad though. There are definitely worse offenders out there. With that being said, this is still a good, light, refreshing beer with some nice hop aroma and malt balance. I think it is a good beer for the price, and in my experiences, a much better beer in the bottle than on draft.

3.42/5  rDev +1.5%

Yuengling Lager is right up there with one of my all time favorite, albeit mass produced, beers.

Beer poured from tap has a rich amber color with moderate carbonation and a head that is very thin. Had a small 'ring' that remained until about half the glass was left.

I could barely detect any smell at all and the taste is smooth, sweet, and consistent even when the beer warms.

Not the most complex of beers, but definitely head and shoulders above a lot of the mass produced American Lagers that Yuengling sits next to in your groceries beer aisle.

2.38/5  rDev -29.4%

Pours a clear amber with hints of orange and a small head that quickly falls. Sweet cereal grains along with a grassy/herbal hop nose. Unremarkable, yet unoffensive.

First sip opens with a crisp, grainy malt body with hints of caramel and corn. Fairly sweet flavor profile. This went well along with some leftover chinese food. Grassy, herbal hops show up on the swallow.

Fairly light body that relies on carbonation to make it feel fuller. Not a beer I'd ever seek out. Still this is a step above the major macros. Why the hell do they have to use a green bottle?? Thanks to kmpitz2 for hooking me up with this one.

2.03/5  rDev -39.8%

I had one of these on a night that I had several different brands.

I wasn't impressed by this brew. Taste was nothing to speak of and had a watery mouthfeel. Had a slight bite to the finish I found to be unpleasant. If you were to fill a bottle with half Budweiser and half Heineken, this is what you might end up with. Very unimpressive and forgettable..

And I can think of nothing more to say.

3.8/5  rDev +12.8%

A classic beer that's pervasive in Pennsylvania, and even here in Virginia, which I didn't realize. I thought it was only popular in the North, but alas, that's not the case.

Overall it's more of your session, "cold beer in Summer" beer that overall isn't too bed and is better than light beers. It's got a decent amber color, the carbonation's pretty balanced, and it definitely has a distinct taste that I think is different from many other lagers. It's also not too heavy, and not too light in relation to something like Miller Lite.

I drink this a lot, I have to admit. Being in Richmond, there are porch days when craft beers don't fit the bill, and this is one of the classics I always go to. I know Yuengling can get a lot of flack, but for a beer on the cheaper side that isn't necessarily yellow swill, this is what I look to.

3.21/5  rDev -4.7%

Pours a very clear medium gold color. Hardly any head, but a ring of white bubbles persists. Carbonation level is good. No malt aroma. Slight hop aroma. Sweet corn aroma. Favor is crisp, "bready", and finishes a bit sweet. Beer is well balanced, but tips the scales slightly on the bitter side. I'd say this beer fits better in the Premium American Lager category competing against the likes of Michelob. This is a decent beer, and would be refreshing on a hot day after mowing the lawn.

4.31/5  rDev +27.9%

Back in the day, the first beer I ever drank was a Yuengling Lager. I enjoyed it then, and still enjoy it now. I renewed acquaintances with this local stalwart at the Tally-Ho in Bethlehem, PA. We're fortunate to have lots of specials on this stuff in the area. Actually, if you walk into a bar in eastern PA and ask for a lager, the odds are that you will get a draught Yuengling. This is not a bad thing.

Beautiful amber/red color with a decent white head... instantly recognizable in these parts. Malty aroma with some sweetness and earthiness. Sweet, yeasty taste with ample carbonation and almost no hops. Good body and mouthfeel... syrupy, but not heavy. Amazingly drinkable with almost no aftertaste, especially when tapped. Overall, a superior product and one of the biggest benefits of living in eastern PA.

3.92/5  rDev +16.3%

Not my favorite style, so I am trying to not be too down on it and review it for the style.

For the style and the price, this is an excellent beer. In the locales where it is available, it is almost as inexpensive as a macro. This pours a clear reddish amber color with a minimal head that quickly is gone. The smell is of toasty malts and hints of light caramel.

Taste is crisp and smooth, with no bitterness. The malts are high-quality, and the taste reflects that. A bit more body then a macro, and that lager flavor is perfectly balanced in the beer. Not a whole lot of depth, though, but I guess that cannot be expected in an American lager. A good beer to drink during a summer barbeque with friends. Mouthfeel is crisp and clean and smooth. Very easy to drink. Especially to one like myself who is used to Arrogant Bastard and Raison D'etre.

This is a truly classic American beer. An obvious interpretation of the classic European pre-pilsner lager style beers(Yuengling has been in business since 1829, 13 years before the pilsner style first appeared), it has a feel that the big megabrewers simply have been unable to capture. My only disappointment with Yuengling is that it's not available in Illinois.

3.97/5  rDev +17.8%

This is my standard lager when I go out. It is ALWAYS as cheap the Bud, Miller, Coors bunch...which is fantastic because Yuengling is so much better than the mass produced macros.

I got a Yuengling pint tonight with an 8 oz. Angus burger...great combo.

Appearance: Copper orange. Not much head or visible carbonation. I guess you could say it looked good...i guess.

Smell: This is what a lager should smell like. Sweet and pleasant...but the aroma is not very strong.

Taste: Rather light bodied with a sweet cereal malt taste. Hops are light.

Mouthfeel: Makes you smack your lips

Drinkability: I can put these down. I will say this though, after a couple of them they start to taste boring, but that's never stopped me

3.04/5  rDev -9.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I have to sympathise with the BuckSpin's plight, having lived a couple of cities away from his stomping ground a few years ago. The locals seem to have a passion for Yuengling round there, but I was never that keen on the stuff. I found Pennsylvania Brewing Company's output to be much more interesting. Regardless, last week I found myself in a part of Florida which would make Western Pennsylvania seem like beer heaven. Thus I was happy to stumble upon a 12 ounce bottle of Yuengling Traditional Lager and take notes.

The colour was light brown to tan. The nose was decent: lots of honey and a slight acidic twang. The balance between malt and hops is good, but the overwhelming impression is that there isn't enough of anything here to bring the taste beyond barely passable. It comes over like Bud with some malt thrown in.

The upside is that the bottle is easy to drain and the strong carbonation makes for a refreshing feel. If the flavour were more interesting I would have been happy to drink many more...

3.85/5  rDev +14.2%

Perhaps the only benefit of living in Pennsylvania when it comes to beer. Yuengling is the oldest continously run operational brewery in the US, and its nice to be able to get a case of this Lager for approximately $17...a real bargain.

What can you say. Its a good straightforward drink with a sandwich or buddy beer. Nice slightly orange-gold color, crisp & light from start to finish with a hint of hops and some sweetness. Perhaps a little lacking/flat in the body department, but it is what it is and doesn't try to be anything else. This has got to be one of the higher end larger volume lagers available, and if you get a chance to try it, while it won't blow you away, you won't be disappointed...especially under $20/case for longnecks.

Can't believe it's taken me this long to try my first Yuengling brew. Pours a light amber color with a small head that falls fast and doesn't leave much lacing on the glass. The aroma seems to be a mix of corn and caramel malt. The flavor is very clean. Sweet caramel that finishes smoothly. Much more flavor than most lagers in the family. Nice beer here.

3.55/5  rDev +5.3%

I had a couple of pints of this while at a business dinner in Jacksonville, FL.

The beer is a nice lighter copper/brown with a decent off-white head. Not a ton of lacing.

The beer has a nice pleasant, if somewhat subdued nose of malts, bread and a bit of citrus.

The taste is pleasant. Slightly sweet with grain and bread notes. Mild hoping that hovers in the background. Guessing that the IBUs on this beer are about 15. No off or adjunct type tastes. As I worked through the beer, it occurred to me how fresh and light (in a good way) this beer was.

The mouthfeel is a trifle thin, but not off-putting in any way. Very easy to drink several. It went well with my spicy seafood pasta and had enough body/taste to cut the heat.

A nice enjoyable lager here!

3.5/5  rDev +3.9%

Clear amber colored with a thin lace white head. Smells clean with a grainy corn aroma. Has a meduim to thin mouthfeel with active carbonation that kind of sizzles on the tongue. Taste sweet with some malts and little cooked corn. Lighty hopped clean aftertaste. Over all I think this is a tasty lager. Nothing big just a great session drinker at a very reasonable price.

3.5/5  rDev +3.9%

Nice amber color on this beer with a medium white head. Decent lacing. Aroma is citric and corny. Taste comes off that way as well. It's on the sweet side with a corn syrup like sweetness and nice base of grains and yeast flavor. Hops are very mild but finish off the beer nicely. This really reminds me of High Life expect with a creamier, more substantial body. A great cheap drinking beer.

4.1/5  rDev +21.7%

The beer pours a nice solid copper color with a 2 finger head that doesn't seen to want to leave. The nose is slightly honey touched caramel. This smells really nice. The flavor is rather full, with a sweet honey caramel mix that moves to a really crisp just ever so slightly grainey finish. The feel is moderate to thick, with a really nice carbonation. This beer is very nice. Refreshing and full of flavor. How nice.

3.46/5  rDev +2.7%

Pours out amber with a big frothy white head that leaves a surprising amount of lace. Smell is sort of understated; there's some malt in there and a little off note that's somewhat metallic. Tastes like "lager!" Sweet malt hits you pretty hard, but it gives way to a very faint hop bitterness and a sort of nutty finish. My only real complaint is that the mouthfeel is a little thin even for the style. Overall, you really can't beat this one for the money; it's way too cheap to be this good and blows everything else at comparable prices flat out of the water. One of my favorite things about living in Philly is that you can always just ask for a lager and get a cheap, decent pint.

3.88/5  rDev +15.1%

Well, I must confess this is the first time I've ever had Yuengling, and I know very little about it. So I was delightfully surprised when I poured this into the glass and it was a light amber color with a solid white head. The aroma was nice sweet caramel, and nutty as it warmed, with a bready yeast aroma that bordered on a bock yeast aroma. The flavor was clean, not overly bitter, with caramel malt and toasted bread giving way to a yeasty aftertaste. The beer had plenty of body for the style, and it was clearly the best beer I had on this little trip to Florida.

3.31/5  rDev -1.8%

Going to college and now living in central PA, I was raised on this stuff. When you go to a bar and ask for "Lager" this is what you'll get.

Pours nicely with a thin lace and beautiful amber color. The smell is fairly non-descript and the flavour is too, almost a doughy taste with metallic tinges, although unoffensive. It is a solid beer and hence very drinkable. Around here this is about as cheap as water so there's no decision to be made when you want an refreshing and lazy summer day brew.

2.86/5  rDev -15.1%

If you visit the Philadelphia area, then, aside from the spots populated mainly by beer geeks and enthusiasts, you will see this beer *everywhere*. I have mixed feelings about this. On the one hand, I personally prefer -- though not strongly -- Yuengling Traditional to the typical American lagers ('amber' or otherwise), so that, given the choice, I would choose it over Bud, Coors, etc. On the other hand, Eastern Pennsylvania is littered with amazing and impressive breweries, and I often wonder if the superior beers of these breweries would be found at more bars and restaurants if it were not for the dominant presence of Yuengling, which is ultimately a rather boring beer but which seems to be a required offering here.

Amber with a faint white head. The nose is slightly sweet, perhaps a bit cherryish, but otherwise not really distinctive. A slight hoppiness works to tone down the sweetness of the flavor, which is also not especially noteworthy. A crisp mouthfeel makes this beer drinkable.

Yuengling Traditional Lager from Yuengling Brewery