Yuengling Traditional Lager - Yuengling Brewery

Yuengling Brewery visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

American Amber / Red Lager |  4.40% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-28-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Yuengling Traditional Lager Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,618 | Hads: 5,922
3.8/5  rDev +12.8%

A classic beer that's pervasive in Pennsylvania, and even here in Virginia, which I didn't realize. I thought it was only popular in the North, but alas, that's not the case.

Overall it's more of your session, "cold beer in Summer" beer that overall isn't too bed and is better than light beers. It's got a decent amber color, the carbonation's pretty balanced, and it definitely has a distinct taste that I think is different from many other lagers. It's also not too heavy, and not too light in relation to something like Miller Lite.

I drink this a lot, I have to admit. Being in Richmond, there are porch days when craft beers don't fit the bill, and this is one of the classics I always go to. I know Yuengling can get a lot of flack, but for a beer on the cheaper side that isn't necessarily yellow swill, this is what I look to.

3.21/5  rDev -4.7%

Pours a very clear medium gold color. Hardly any head, but a ring of white bubbles persists. Carbonation level is good. No malt aroma. Slight hop aroma. Sweet corn aroma. Favor is crisp, "bready", and finishes a bit sweet. Beer is well balanced, but tips the scales slightly on the bitter side. I'd say this beer fits better in the Premium American Lager category competing against the likes of Michelob. This is a decent beer, and would be refreshing on a hot day after mowing the lawn.

4.31/5  rDev +27.9%

Back in the day, the first beer I ever drank was a Yuengling Lager. I enjoyed it then, and still enjoy it now. I renewed acquaintances with this local stalwart at the Tally-Ho in Bethlehem, PA. We're fortunate to have lots of specials on this stuff in the area. Actually, if you walk into a bar in eastern PA and ask for a lager, the odds are that you will get a draught Yuengling. This is not a bad thing.

Beautiful amber/red color with a decent white head... instantly recognizable in these parts. Malty aroma with some sweetness and earthiness. Sweet, yeasty taste with ample carbonation and almost no hops. Good body and mouthfeel... syrupy, but not heavy. Amazingly drinkable with almost no aftertaste, especially when tapped. Overall, a superior product and one of the biggest benefits of living in eastern PA.

3.92/5  rDev +16.3%

Not my favorite style, so I am trying to not be too down on it and review it for the style.

For the style and the price, this is an excellent beer. In the locales where it is available, it is almost as inexpensive as a macro. This pours a clear reddish amber color with a minimal head that quickly is gone. The smell is of toasty malts and hints of light caramel.

Taste is crisp and smooth, with no bitterness. The malts are high-quality, and the taste reflects that. A bit more body then a macro, and that lager flavor is perfectly balanced in the beer. Not a whole lot of depth, though, but I guess that cannot be expected in an American lager. A good beer to drink during a summer barbeque with friends. Mouthfeel is crisp and clean and smooth. Very easy to drink. Especially to one like myself who is used to Arrogant Bastard and Raison D'etre.

This is a truly classic American beer. An obvious interpretation of the classic European pre-pilsner lager style beers(Yuengling has been in business since 1829, 13 years before the pilsner style first appeared), it has a feel that the big megabrewers simply have been unable to capture. My only disappointment with Yuengling is that it's not available in Illinois.

3.97/5  rDev +17.8%

This is my standard lager when I go out. It is ALWAYS as cheap the Bud, Miller, Coors bunch...which is fantastic because Yuengling is so much better than the mass produced macros.

I got a Yuengling pint tonight with an 8 oz. Angus burger...great combo.

Appearance: Copper orange. Not much head or visible carbonation. I guess you could say it looked good...i guess.

Smell: This is what a lager should smell like. Sweet and pleasant...but the aroma is not very strong.

Taste: Rather light bodied with a sweet cereal malt taste. Hops are light.

Mouthfeel: Makes you smack your lips

Drinkability: I can put these down. I will say this though, after a couple of them they start to taste boring, but that's never stopped me

3.04/5  rDev -9.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I have to sympathise with the BuckSpin's plight, having lived a couple of cities away from his stomping ground a few years ago. The locals seem to have a passion for Yuengling round there, but I was never that keen on the stuff. I found Pennsylvania Brewing Company's output to be much more interesting. Regardless, last week I found myself in a part of Florida which would make Western Pennsylvania seem like beer heaven. Thus I was happy to stumble upon a 12 ounce bottle of Yuengling Traditional Lager and take notes.

The colour was light brown to tan. The nose was decent: lots of honey and a slight acidic twang. The balance between malt and hops is good, but the overwhelming impression is that there isn't enough of anything here to bring the taste beyond barely passable. It comes over like Bud with some malt thrown in.

The upside is that the bottle is easy to drain and the strong carbonation makes for a refreshing feel. If the flavour were more interesting I would have been happy to drink many more...

3.85/5  rDev +14.2%

Perhaps the only benefit of living in Pennsylvania when it comes to beer. Yuengling is the oldest continously run operational brewery in the US, and its nice to be able to get a case of this Lager for approximately $17...a real bargain.

What can you say. Its a good straightforward drink with a sandwich or buddy beer. Nice slightly orange-gold color, crisp & light from start to finish with a hint of hops and some sweetness. Perhaps a little lacking/flat in the body department, but it is what it is and doesn't try to be anything else. This has got to be one of the higher end larger volume lagers available, and if you get a chance to try it, while it won't blow you away, you won't be disappointed...especially under $20/case for longnecks.

Can't believe it's taken me this long to try my first Yuengling brew. Pours a light amber color with a small head that falls fast and doesn't leave much lacing on the glass. The aroma seems to be a mix of corn and caramel malt. The flavor is very clean. Sweet caramel that finishes smoothly. Much more flavor than most lagers in the family. Nice beer here.

3.55/5  rDev +5.3%

I had a couple of pints of this while at a business dinner in Jacksonville, FL.

The beer is a nice lighter copper/brown with a decent off-white head. Not a ton of lacing.

The beer has a nice pleasant, if somewhat subdued nose of malts, bread and a bit of citrus.

The taste is pleasant. Slightly sweet with grain and bread notes. Mild hoping that hovers in the background. Guessing that the IBUs on this beer are about 15. No off or adjunct type tastes. As I worked through the beer, it occurred to me how fresh and light (in a good way) this beer was.

The mouthfeel is a trifle thin, but not off-putting in any way. Very easy to drink several. It went well with my spicy seafood pasta and had enough body/taste to cut the heat.

A nice enjoyable lager here!

3.5/5  rDev +3.9%

Clear amber colored with a thin lace white head. Smells clean with a grainy corn aroma. Has a meduim to thin mouthfeel with active carbonation that kind of sizzles on the tongue. Taste sweet with some malts and little cooked corn. Lighty hopped clean aftertaste. Over all I think this is a tasty lager. Nothing big just a great session drinker at a very reasonable price.

3.5/5  rDev +3.9%

Nice amber color on this beer with a medium white head. Decent lacing. Aroma is citric and corny. Taste comes off that way as well. It's on the sweet side with a corn syrup like sweetness and nice base of grains and yeast flavor. Hops are very mild but finish off the beer nicely. This really reminds me of High Life expect with a creamier, more substantial body. A great cheap drinking beer.

4.1/5  rDev +21.7%

The beer pours a nice solid copper color with a 2 finger head that doesn't seen to want to leave. The nose is slightly honey touched caramel. This smells really nice. The flavor is rather full, with a sweet honey caramel mix that moves to a really crisp just ever so slightly grainey finish. The feel is moderate to thick, with a really nice carbonation. This beer is very nice. Refreshing and full of flavor. How nice.

3.46/5  rDev +2.7%

Pours out amber with a big frothy white head that leaves a surprising amount of lace. Smell is sort of understated; there's some malt in there and a little off note that's somewhat metallic. Tastes like "lager!" Sweet malt hits you pretty hard, but it gives way to a very faint hop bitterness and a sort of nutty finish. My only real complaint is that the mouthfeel is a little thin even for the style. Overall, you really can't beat this one for the money; it's way too cheap to be this good and blows everything else at comparable prices flat out of the water. One of my favorite things about living in Philly is that you can always just ask for a lager and get a cheap, decent pint.

3.88/5  rDev +15.1%

Well, I must confess this is the first time I've ever had Yuengling, and I know very little about it. So I was delightfully surprised when I poured this into the glass and it was a light amber color with a solid white head. The aroma was nice sweet caramel, and nutty as it warmed, with a bready yeast aroma that bordered on a bock yeast aroma. The flavor was clean, not overly bitter, with caramel malt and toasted bread giving way to a yeasty aftertaste. The beer had plenty of body for the style, and it was clearly the best beer I had on this little trip to Florida.

3.31/5  rDev -1.8%

Going to college and now living in central PA, I was raised on this stuff. When you go to a bar and ask for "Lager" this is what you'll get.

Pours nicely with a thin lace and beautiful amber color. The smell is fairly non-descript and the flavour is too, almost a doughy taste with metallic tinges, although unoffensive. It is a solid beer and hence very drinkable. Around here this is about as cheap as water so there's no decision to be made when you want an refreshing and lazy summer day brew.

2.86/5  rDev -15.1%

If you visit the Philadelphia area, then, aside from the spots populated mainly by beer geeks and enthusiasts, you will see this beer *everywhere*. I have mixed feelings about this. On the one hand, I personally prefer -- though not strongly -- Yuengling Traditional to the typical American lagers ('amber' or otherwise), so that, given the choice, I would choose it over Bud, Coors, etc. On the other hand, Eastern Pennsylvania is littered with amazing and impressive breweries, and I often wonder if the superior beers of these breweries would be found at more bars and restaurants if it were not for the dominant presence of Yuengling, which is ultimately a rather boring beer but which seems to be a required offering here.

Amber with a faint white head. The nose is slightly sweet, perhaps a bit cherryish, but otherwise not really distinctive. A slight hoppiness works to tone down the sweetness of the flavor, which is also not especially noteworthy. A crisp mouthfeel makes this beer drinkable.

3.44/5  rDev +2.1%

Appearance - Real attractive amber coloring with touches of gold around the fringes of the glass. The head is thin and doesn't stay, and there is no lace. The coloring more than makes up for it.

Smell - Not my favorite aroma present here. Sort of a stale, malty stink. There's some slight sweetness present but it's masked by the stank.

Taste - Much better than the smell, I must say. Sweet tasting with a nice tart bitterness that balances out the taste. Leaves my mouth happy, and dammit that's a good thing.

Drinkability - One could definitely drink this all night long. It's also cheap as hell for a 12 pack, somewhere in the $8 range. Choosing this over similarly priced beer is a no-brainer. Probably the best bang for your buck beer you can get. Definitely buy and consume many of these brews.

2.66/5  rDev -21.1%

Presentation: 12 oz green glass bottle. Drank from the bottle

Appearance: Hard to say through the bottle. I've seen it draught, though, and it has a deep amber-brown color, short, quick-to-dissipate white head.

Smell: Slightly malty, very light.

Mouth: Carbonation is light. Slight malt balances with the fruity, citric hop notes. Very little bitterness.

Notes: This has always been a popular one with my family. I can see why: it's cheap, and non-offensive. This beer is simple goodness, but by no means a standout.

4.1/5  rDev +21.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

First time I tried this beer was when I moved to North Carolina four years back. It's everywhere, even though it's original brewery is in Pennsylvania. This bartendar served it in a frosted mug, but I will not hold it against today's review.

Besides Sam Adams, this is the best session beer you can find available in most places in the area. Will always beat BMC, Heineken, or Newcastle. Great balance of hops, refreshing taste, and one of the easiest to drink.

3.51/5  rDev +4.2%

I wish I had a counter on my body to tell me how many kegs of this stuff went through my body in college. After graduation, I stayed away from this stuff, but had it again recently and had forgotten that it actually is a decent beer, not just cheap. I enjoyed this last one today on tap at Olive Garden.

This lager is a medium-dark copper color with a white, foamy, fully-diminishing head and some light lacing. Aroma is very mild, light hops, a hint of malts and little bit of yeast. Taste is a little bland, slightly bitter with a short-lived, bready finish. Easy to drink because there’s nothing much to it, but it sure is better than anything else offered on tap at Olive Garden (Bud, Bud Light and Coors Light). Don’t get me wrong. It is a good beer when you match quality with cost, and it’s a great beer to start your friends out on when you trying to get them away from the aforementioned macros. And it’s good for when you come in from mowing the lawn when it’s ninety degrees and humid out, and all you want to do it pound a really cold one.

3.45/5  rDev +2.4%

In honor of this review, I poured my yuengling into a pint glass, because I always drink it from the bottle. Color is nice, nothing special, smell is kinda fruity and malty, tastes...like the same beer I pick up at walmart probably once or twice a week. Sorry, since this is a serious review I should make an effort to go into more detail.

The taste is primarily sour, with malts in the backround, with a slightly sweet fruity aftertaste, and a very nice dry carbonation laced bite throughout every sip. Very carbonated, very satisfying burps. In short, the flavor characteristics of a lot of macro american lagers, only everything is amplified. More sour, more malt, more color, and you can't beat the price.

I'm too poor to afford cheap micros and imports as everyday beers, so this is my everyday beer. Really, if I were a richer man, I'd probably still be drinking Yuengling, for BBQ's, lawn mowing, fishing, or just watching movies with friends, it's perfect for all those.

3.51/5  rDev +4.2%

12 oz. with no freshness date. Pours an amber/orange color with a 1 finger head and almost no lacing. Has a metallic scent accompanied by grains and hops in the background. It has a crisp carbonation and the taste is malt and grains with a slight hop twang. Mouthfeel is good, and goes down smooth. Has a high drinkability - you can almost pound it like you would a light macro lager. The only reason it loses points on drinkability is that it fills you up quickly. The thing about Yuengling is sometimes you get a skunked batch (light-strunk green bottles is my guess), which I think was the case in this review. Go for the 12-pack or a 22 oz. (which has brown glass) rather than the 6-pack to avoid this. The unskunked has more hop flavor and better mouthfeel. Regardless, it always has been one of my favorite lagers, and for the price (as cheap or cheaper than Budweiser bottles) you won't find much better of any style. Great session beer.

3.48/5  rDev +3.3%

Amber in color with a aromatic smell.

Small to non-existant head but leaves nice latice work around the glass.

Smooth taste lends to excellent drinkability and hours and hours of enjoyment.

Living in PA is a plus since most batches delivered are bottled the same day.

3.78/5  rDev +12.2%

Pours a bright clear amber with a creamy 1/2 inch ivory head. Lots of lace. Smells lightly fruity and grassy.

Taste is again very lightly fruity mixed with the grassy malt. Biscuity with perceptable hops in the finish. Lightly sweet and a tad sticky in the mouth. Creamy and smooth. An easy drinking, sit-back-and-watch-the-game beer. An old favorite and standby.

Yuengling Traditional Lager from Yuengling Brewery