Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

Yuengling Traditional Lager - Yuengling Brewery

Yuengling Traditional LagerYuengling Traditional Lager

Yuengling Brewery visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

American Amber / Red Lager |  4.40% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-28-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Yuengling Traditional Lager Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,611 | Hads: 5,862
3.85/5  rDev +14.2%

Perhaps the only benefit of living in Pennsylvania when it comes to beer. Yuengling is the oldest continously run operational brewery in the US, and its nice to be able to get a case of this Lager for approximately $17...a real bargain.

What can you say. Its a good straightforward drink with a sandwich or buddy beer. Nice slightly orange-gold color, crisp & light from start to finish with a hint of hops and some sweetness. Perhaps a little lacking/flat in the body department, but it is what it is and doesn't try to be anything else. This has got to be one of the higher end larger volume lagers available, and if you get a chance to try it, while it won't blow you away, you won't be disappointed...especially under $20/case for longnecks.

Can't believe it's taken me this long to try my first Yuengling brew. Pours a light amber color with a small head that falls fast and doesn't leave much lacing on the glass. The aroma seems to be a mix of corn and caramel malt. The flavor is very clean. Sweet caramel that finishes smoothly. Much more flavor than most lagers in the family. Nice beer here.

3.55/5  rDev +5.3%

I had a couple of pints of this while at a business dinner in Jacksonville, FL.

The beer is a nice lighter copper/brown with a decent off-white head. Not a ton of lacing.

The beer has a nice pleasant, if somewhat subdued nose of malts, bread and a bit of citrus.

The taste is pleasant. Slightly sweet with grain and bread notes. Mild hoping that hovers in the background. Guessing that the IBUs on this beer are about 15. No off or adjunct type tastes. As I worked through the beer, it occurred to me how fresh and light (in a good way) this beer was.

The mouthfeel is a trifle thin, but not off-putting in any way. Very easy to drink several. It went well with my spicy seafood pasta and had enough body/taste to cut the heat.

A nice enjoyable lager here!

3.5/5  rDev +3.9%

Clear amber colored with a thin lace white head. Smells clean with a grainy corn aroma. Has a meduim to thin mouthfeel with active carbonation that kind of sizzles on the tongue. Taste sweet with some malts and little cooked corn. Lighty hopped clean aftertaste. Over all I think this is a tasty lager. Nothing big just a great session drinker at a very reasonable price.

3.5/5  rDev +3.9%

Nice amber color on this beer with a medium white head. Decent lacing. Aroma is citric and corny. Taste comes off that way as well. It's on the sweet side with a corn syrup like sweetness and nice base of grains and yeast flavor. Hops are very mild but finish off the beer nicely. This really reminds me of High Life expect with a creamier, more substantial body. A great cheap drinking beer.

4.1/5  rDev +21.7%

The beer pours a nice solid copper color with a 2 finger head that doesn't seen to want to leave. The nose is slightly honey touched caramel. This smells really nice. The flavor is rather full, with a sweet honey caramel mix that moves to a really crisp just ever so slightly grainey finish. The feel is moderate to thick, with a really nice carbonation. This beer is very nice. Refreshing and full of flavor. How nice.

3.46/5  rDev +2.7%

Pours out amber with a big frothy white head that leaves a surprising amount of lace. Smell is sort of understated; there's some malt in there and a little off note that's somewhat metallic. Tastes like "lager!" Sweet malt hits you pretty hard, but it gives way to a very faint hop bitterness and a sort of nutty finish. My only real complaint is that the mouthfeel is a little thin even for the style. Overall, you really can't beat this one for the money; it's way too cheap to be this good and blows everything else at comparable prices flat out of the water. One of my favorite things about living in Philly is that you can always just ask for a lager and get a cheap, decent pint.

3.88/5  rDev +15.1%

Well, I must confess this is the first time I've ever had Yuengling, and I know very little about it. So I was delightfully surprised when I poured this into the glass and it was a light amber color with a solid white head. The aroma was nice sweet caramel, and nutty as it warmed, with a bready yeast aroma that bordered on a bock yeast aroma. The flavor was clean, not overly bitter, with caramel malt and toasted bread giving way to a yeasty aftertaste. The beer had plenty of body for the style, and it was clearly the best beer I had on this little trip to Florida.

3.31/5  rDev -1.8%

Going to college and now living in central PA, I was raised on this stuff. When you go to a bar and ask for "Lager" this is what you'll get.

Pours nicely with a thin lace and beautiful amber color. The smell is fairly non-descript and the flavour is too, almost a doughy taste with metallic tinges, although unoffensive. It is a solid beer and hence very drinkable. Around here this is about as cheap as water so there's no decision to be made when you want an refreshing and lazy summer day brew.

2.86/5  rDev -15.1%

If you visit the Philadelphia area, then, aside from the spots populated mainly by beer geeks and enthusiasts, you will see this beer *everywhere*. I have mixed feelings about this. On the one hand, I personally prefer -- though not strongly -- Yuengling Traditional to the typical American lagers ('amber' or otherwise), so that, given the choice, I would choose it over Bud, Coors, etc. On the other hand, Eastern Pennsylvania is littered with amazing and impressive breweries, and I often wonder if the superior beers of these breweries would be found at more bars and restaurants if it were not for the dominant presence of Yuengling, which is ultimately a rather boring beer but which seems to be a required offering here.

Amber with a faint white head. The nose is slightly sweet, perhaps a bit cherryish, but otherwise not really distinctive. A slight hoppiness works to tone down the sweetness of the flavor, which is also not especially noteworthy. A crisp mouthfeel makes this beer drinkable.

3.44/5  rDev +2.1%

Appearance - Real attractive amber coloring with touches of gold around the fringes of the glass. The head is thin and doesn't stay, and there is no lace. The coloring more than makes up for it.

Smell - Not my favorite aroma present here. Sort of a stale, malty stink. There's some slight sweetness present but it's masked by the stank.

Taste - Much better than the smell, I must say. Sweet tasting with a nice tart bitterness that balances out the taste. Leaves my mouth happy, and dammit that's a good thing.

Drinkability - One could definitely drink this all night long. It's also cheap as hell for a 12 pack, somewhere in the $8 range. Choosing this over similarly priced beer is a no-brainer. Probably the best bang for your buck beer you can get. Definitely buy and consume many of these brews.

2.66/5  rDev -21.1%

Presentation: 12 oz green glass bottle. Drank from the bottle

Appearance: Hard to say through the bottle. I've seen it draught, though, and it has a deep amber-brown color, short, quick-to-dissipate white head.

Smell: Slightly malty, very light.

Mouth: Carbonation is light. Slight malt balances with the fruity, citric hop notes. Very little bitterness.

Notes: This has always been a popular one with my family. I can see why: it's cheap, and non-offensive. This beer is simple goodness, but by no means a standout.

4.1/5  rDev +21.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

First time I tried this beer was when I moved to North Carolina four years back. It's everywhere, even though it's original brewery is in Pennsylvania. This bartendar served it in a frosted mug, but I will not hold it against today's review.

Besides Sam Adams, this is the best session beer you can find available in most places in the area. Will always beat BMC, Heineken, or Newcastle. Great balance of hops, refreshing taste, and one of the easiest to drink.

3.51/5  rDev +4.2%

I wish I had a counter on my body to tell me how many kegs of this stuff went through my body in college. After graduation, I stayed away from this stuff, but had it again recently and had forgotten that it actually is a decent beer, not just cheap. I enjoyed this last one today on tap at Olive Garden.

This lager is a medium-dark copper color with a white, foamy, fully-diminishing head and some light lacing. Aroma is very mild, light hops, a hint of malts and little bit of yeast. Taste is a little bland, slightly bitter with a short-lived, bready finish. Easy to drink because there’s nothing much to it, but it sure is better than anything else offered on tap at Olive Garden (Bud, Bud Light and Coors Light). Don’t get me wrong. It is a good beer when you match quality with cost, and it’s a great beer to start your friends out on when you trying to get them away from the aforementioned macros. And it’s good for when you come in from mowing the lawn when it’s ninety degrees and humid out, and all you want to do it pound a really cold one.

3.45/5  rDev +2.4%

In honor of this review, I poured my yuengling into a pint glass, because I always drink it from the bottle. Color is nice, nothing special, smell is kinda fruity and malty, tastes...like the same beer I pick up at walmart probably once or twice a week. Sorry, since this is a serious review I should make an effort to go into more detail.

The taste is primarily sour, with malts in the backround, with a slightly sweet fruity aftertaste, and a very nice dry carbonation laced bite throughout every sip. Very carbonated, very satisfying burps. In short, the flavor characteristics of a lot of macro american lagers, only everything is amplified. More sour, more malt, more color, and you can't beat the price.

I'm too poor to afford cheap micros and imports as everyday beers, so this is my everyday beer. Really, if I were a richer man, I'd probably still be drinking Yuengling, for BBQ's, lawn mowing, fishing, or just watching movies with friends, it's perfect for all those.

3.51/5  rDev +4.2%

12 oz. with no freshness date. Pours an amber/orange color with a 1 finger head and almost no lacing. Has a metallic scent accompanied by grains and hops in the background. It has a crisp carbonation and the taste is malt and grains with a slight hop twang. Mouthfeel is good, and goes down smooth. Has a high drinkability - you can almost pound it like you would a light macro lager. The only reason it loses points on drinkability is that it fills you up quickly. The thing about Yuengling is sometimes you get a skunked batch (light-strunk green bottles is my guess), which I think was the case in this review. Go for the 12-pack or a 22 oz. (which has brown glass) rather than the 6-pack to avoid this. The unskunked has more hop flavor and better mouthfeel. Regardless, it always has been one of my favorite lagers, and for the price (as cheap or cheaper than Budweiser bottles) you won't find much better of any style. Great session beer.

3.48/5  rDev +3.3%

Amber in color with a aromatic smell.

Small to non-existant head but leaves nice latice work around the glass.

Smooth taste lends to excellent drinkability and hours and hours of enjoyment.

Living in PA is a plus since most batches delivered are bottled the same day.

3.78/5  rDev +12.2%

Pours a bright clear amber with a creamy 1/2 inch ivory head. Lots of lace. Smells lightly fruity and grassy.

Taste is again very lightly fruity mixed with the grassy malt. Biscuity with perceptable hops in the finish. Lightly sweet and a tad sticky in the mouth. Creamy and smooth. An easy drinking, sit-back-and-watch-the-game beer. An old favorite and standby.

2.78/5  rDev -17.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

I like the light amber appearance of this lager. Lightly carbonated but still many bubbles floating to the top of the glass. OK mouthfeel with small laces clinging to the sides of the glass. It looks very good for a cheap american lager. The taste is a bit on the strange side. I think it is a little sweet and could use a little more hops for my taste. Because of the sweetness, I can't drink too many of these at one session. It's better than Miller or Bud, but not on my list if I have Microbrews or Homebrews around. The girls love it, probably due to sweetness. So, there is some real value to have it around at parties!

3.72/5  rDev +10.4%

A light to medium amber colored beer with a thin white head. Everything about the beer is very safe and comfortable to me. Part of it is because I grew up drinking it in large quantities, but part of it is because it is a verstile, well rounded, smooth mouthfeel beer suitable for summer days while mowing the lawn or for winter nights while hanging out with freinds and playing poker. Sometimes I get bottles that have a skunky taste but not tonight. Sweet maltiness, light fruitness, and a dry, clean finish.

3.43/5  rDev +1.8%

I have ran into Yuengling Traditional Lager many times in my days. Poured a nice rich amber color with decent head that fell within minutes. The smell is somewhat sweet and a little bit malty. You can taste the grains in this one with a nice hoppy bite at the finish. Crisp and refreshing. The mouthfeel is decent, with a nice carbonation and medium body. As for the drinkability, as I have previously stated, I have ran into this beer many times, and predict that I will do so many more times in the future.

3.14/5  rDev -6.8%

Growing up in PA I think I have drank more of this brew than any other beer. Especially in the last year of college and the year or so after. Pitchers of lager were flowin every weekend. Now my beer tastes have changed a little methinks.
The beer is cold and I am drinking in a pint glass.
Brew pours a clear gold/orange color with a small white surface layer of head foaming up, this fades to an edge layer quickly but never disappears completely.
Aroma is husky corn some sour hops and a bit of skunk I think. Not the most appealing scent ever.
First sip reveals average carbonation and average body, maybe even a little lite. Flavor is clean and crisp with some grainy malt providing a bit of caramel sweetness as well. The beer is amazingly easy to drink and goes down very smooth. Not very interesting but certainly nice on a hot day or when just drinkin brews while watchin football. Definitely better than big 3 lagers.

2.06/5  rDev -38.9%

Being that Yuengling and I are both from just outside of Philadelphia, we are old acquatances. Previous to my beer awakening in the summer of 2001 I probably drank more Yuengling then any other beer. However, that does not make it any good. I've seen the error of my ways.

Yuengling Lager has a mediocre taste to it followed by a terribly dry aftertaste. It does not matter if you get a can, bottle, or on tap, it is consistently mediocre on just about every level. Did I mention how terribly dry it tastes?

The good points about this beer is that it is cheap, easily found in the extended Philadelphia area, and drinkable if needed.

2.3/5  rDev -31.8%

I've only heard whisperings of this beer for awhile now, finally got a chance to try it...

Pours light amber, almost watery. Smells like old hops and alcohol, a little skunky. Taste was a little hoppy with some wheat notes. Surprisingly light and almost refreshing. I'd drink it at a BBQ or something.

3.56/5  rDev +5.6%

Appearance-agressive pour into my pint glass yields a gorgeous red/copper color with about an inch of head, the head sticks around for a few before slowly dissapearing.

Smell-I have a slight cold but I did detect some grains, DNS, a touch of corn.

Taste-crisp and to the point, lot of grains and a slight hop bite as it goes down, finishes with an interesting twang on the palette.

Mouthfeel-rather bitter in the middle, aftertaste twang is fine, it'll do.

Drinkability-as drinkable as any other American lager, popularity makes it a fine session beer as well.

Overall-a fine American lager, not that many amber characteristics but it's smooth and crisp. Definitely would be refreshing on a hot summer day. Just below Sam Adams for me but it's above a great many other beers in it's category, give it a try.

Yuengling Traditional Lager from Yuengling Brewery