Yuengling Traditional Lager - Yuengling Brewery

Yuengling Brewery visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

American Amber / Red Lager |  4.40% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-28-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Yuengling Traditional Lager Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,619 | Hads: 5,928
3.78/5  rDev +12.2%

Pours a bright clear amber with a creamy 1/2 inch ivory head. Lots of lace. Smells lightly fruity and grassy.

Taste is again very lightly fruity mixed with the grassy malt. Biscuity with perceptable hops in the finish. Lightly sweet and a tad sticky in the mouth. Creamy and smooth. An easy drinking, sit-back-and-watch-the-game beer. An old favorite and standby.

2.78/5  rDev -17.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

I like the light amber appearance of this lager. Lightly carbonated but still many bubbles floating to the top of the glass. OK mouthfeel with small laces clinging to the sides of the glass. It looks very good for a cheap american lager. The taste is a bit on the strange side. I think it is a little sweet and could use a little more hops for my taste. Because of the sweetness, I can't drink too many of these at one session. It's better than Miller or Bud, but not on my list if I have Microbrews or Homebrews around. The girls love it, probably due to sweetness. So, there is some real value to have it around at parties!

3.72/5  rDev +10.4%

A light to medium amber colored beer with a thin white head. Everything about the beer is very safe and comfortable to me. Part of it is because I grew up drinking it in large quantities, but part of it is because it is a verstile, well rounded, smooth mouthfeel beer suitable for summer days while mowing the lawn or for winter nights while hanging out with freinds and playing poker. Sometimes I get bottles that have a skunky taste but not tonight. Sweet maltiness, light fruitness, and a dry, clean finish.

3.43/5  rDev +1.8%

I have ran into Yuengling Traditional Lager many times in my days. Poured a nice rich amber color with decent head that fell within minutes. The smell is somewhat sweet and a little bit malty. You can taste the grains in this one with a nice hoppy bite at the finish. Crisp and refreshing. The mouthfeel is decent, with a nice carbonation and medium body. As for the drinkability, as I have previously stated, I have ran into this beer many times, and predict that I will do so many more times in the future.

3.14/5  rDev -6.8%

Growing up in PA I think I have drank more of this brew than any other beer. Especially in the last year of college and the year or so after. Pitchers of lager were flowin every weekend. Now my beer tastes have changed a little methinks.
The beer is cold and I am drinking in a pint glass.
Brew pours a clear gold/orange color with a small white surface layer of head foaming up, this fades to an edge layer quickly but never disappears completely.
Aroma is husky corn some sour hops and a bit of skunk I think. Not the most appealing scent ever.
First sip reveals average carbonation and average body, maybe even a little lite. Flavor is clean and crisp with some grainy malt providing a bit of caramel sweetness as well. The beer is amazingly easy to drink and goes down very smooth. Not very interesting but certainly nice on a hot day or when just drinkin brews while watchin football. Definitely better than big 3 lagers.

2.06/5  rDev -38.9%

Being that Yuengling and I are both from just outside of Philadelphia, we are old acquatances. Previous to my beer awakening in the summer of 2001 I probably drank more Yuengling then any other beer. However, that does not make it any good. I've seen the error of my ways.

Yuengling Lager has a mediocre taste to it followed by a terribly dry aftertaste. It does not matter if you get a can, bottle, or on tap, it is consistently mediocre on just about every level. Did I mention how terribly dry it tastes?

The good points about this beer is that it is cheap, easily found in the extended Philadelphia area, and drinkable if needed.

2.3/5  rDev -31.8%

I've only heard whisperings of this beer for awhile now, finally got a chance to try it...

Pours light amber, almost watery. Smells like old hops and alcohol, a little skunky. Taste was a little hoppy with some wheat notes. Surprisingly light and almost refreshing. I'd drink it at a BBQ or something.

3.56/5  rDev +5.6%

Appearance-agressive pour into my pint glass yields a gorgeous red/copper color with about an inch of head, the head sticks around for a few before slowly dissapearing.

Smell-I have a slight cold but I did detect some grains, DNS, a touch of corn.

Taste-crisp and to the point, lot of grains and a slight hop bite as it goes down, finishes with an interesting twang on the palette.

Mouthfeel-rather bitter in the middle, aftertaste twang is fine, it'll do.

Drinkability-as drinkable as any other American lager, popularity makes it a fine session beer as well.

Overall-a fine American lager, not that many amber characteristics but it's smooth and crisp. Definitely would be refreshing on a hot summer day. Just below Sam Adams for me but it's above a great many other beers in it's category, give it a try.

4.11/5  rDev +22%
look: 2 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This is a very smooth lighter lager. A nice crisp taste that goes down very easy. I enjoyed drinking this beer for a first time. I would defenitely try it again. It has a light amber color with a perfect amount of carbonation. This is one of the better beers to sit around and relax with friends.

3.15/5  rDev -6.5%

Not usually a fan of lighter beers, but this is one I do enjoy.

Its taste is crisp and something I like, but the carbination is something that I dont always like on a thinner beer to be so much. Feels too sharp on the tounge.

I do enjoy this and will drink it again, most likely when options are thin

3.47/5  rDev +3%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Very clear light Amber. Head mostly disappears in short order. Still, there is a little lacing.

Quite malty aroma with a noticable presence of noble hops.

Taste is dominated by malt but the hops bitterness comes through just fine. Clean with a rounded finish.

Medium body and well carbonated.

I'm just not wild about lagers but this is one of the best I've had. Plenty of taste with no "off" or harsh flavors.

3.55/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

A solid brew....Pours a light yellow amber with a head that dissipates quickly. Smell is a decent malty nose with some light hop elements. Taste is mainly sweet and malty, with a light hop finish. Mouthfeel is chewy, medium with a slickness that finishes in a dryness. Easy enough on the drinkability scale.

3.3/5  rDev -2.1%

This is a very sought after beer here. The store owners always complain that it is in such high demand, yet they are unable to have it distributed to them. I agree that it is a good beer, but like the gentleman before me suggests, it is in limbo between macro and micro beers. It does have a very pleasant taste, and virtually no aftertaste. It is reasonable priced as well. I do wish it was available around me, as it is a treat to get when I can.

2.41/5  rDev -28.5%

Amber bodied with a beige-ish head. Smells like malts and hops but a bit of yeast. Personally, I think this beer tastes pretty awful. Granted, it's not as bad MBC beers, but I think this beer out of the bottle tastes below average. Couldn't tell you why but I think it tastes much better out of a can. I seem to be the only person around here who doesn't like it. Mouthfeel is dry and light. And for me, this is just not a drinkable beer based on the fact that I don't enjoy the flavor. My advice - go grab a Yuengling Porter, not this.

3.33/5  rDev -1.2%

Poured lighter than I thought it would quite a bit of carbonation that settled down fairly quickly leaving a nice bit of lacework. Toasted malts in the nose. Pleasant aroma. Just slightly malty to start, before striking a perfect balance between malt and hops. A light bodied beer with a smooth mouthfeel that is very easy to drink. The finish is nice and dry for a cheaper lager. Too many cheap lagers finish slick and sweet. A pleasant tartness also surfaces after the finish. A light, very easy drinkin' and pleasant lager.

4.15/5  rDev +23.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

I was suprised that I had not ever heard of this beer before I went to college. At one point one of my roomates showed up with a 18 pack of cans. Neither I nor any of my friends had ever tried this stuff, but Im not one to turn down a beer so I went for it. When poured it was a nice reddish orange color. Had a somewhat caramel color head which dissappared rather quickly. Excellent flavor, best American beer that I have had thus far. Price was pretty good also, which supprised me for the flavor that it had.

3.83/5  rDev +13.6%

I am so lucky I live across from the Tampa Brewery. Just on a lark, I decided to try this hometown brand (little did I know they are from PA). What I discovered was everything I like about Budweiser* (yeah, yeah macros evil/piss/swill etc) only with a lot more flavor, but it isn't overwhelming allowing it to be paired with lots of foods. Some people may look down upon the 3.5% ABV (edit: turns out this is not 3.5 per volume but by weight and even that number is low according to the chemist at the brewery), but I see it as allowing me to drink more without getting drunk. If you can get this at the supermarket do so. At a price of $8 for a 12 pack, you can have a decent beer without rearranging your budget (especially important for college students such as myself)

*Oh boy, this is embarassing...I tried Budwesier again the other day while bowling and can't believe there was anything I liked about it. Tasted like beer flavored water...

Edit: I hadn't had Yuengling in a while. It is a good beer, still my fall back, but after trying so many others it doesn't compare as well. I wish for taste there was a 3.75 option, because some of my 4's are significantly better and some 3.5s are worse than this.

3.76/5  rDev +11.6%

Appearance: A nice light brown color, with a solid head.

Taste: Very slight taste; notes of light maltiness and sweetness... that's pretty much it. But, it's low key nature is actually an asset because it can be pared with anything, anytime, and it's hard to get sick of it.

Mouthfeel is pretty average, as is the smell... I can't think of anything distinctive about these characteristics.

Bottomline: I've virtually always had it on tap from pitchers, and its been pretty constant. If you want a dirt-cheap beer that's not offensive, get this. It's oh-so drinkable; the quintessence of what a session beer should be when you're hitting the bars (or playing quizzo in Phillie)

3.35/5  rDev -0.6%

Pours the colour of Iced Tea. Minimal head. Aroma is not much maybe a bit of caramel bread, but thats pushing it. Taste is smooth. More malty than most Macros. Sweet taste with just a tough of dryness at the finish.. Very easy drinking. Not very carbonated. Sweetnes cuts the drinkability, However for a macro its the same price as BUD and so much better!!

2.7/5  rDev -19.9%

Another sub-par offering from Yuengling.

Light describes this lager. Light in color, light in hopping, light in malt, light in body... Its only strength is that it is well balanced and therefore, rather drinkable.

I could see drinking this beer on lazy days, but only because it is superior to macro-brews, and the price is dirt cheap.

Now I ask you, I'm supposed to be impressed by Yuengling because of what?

4.35/5  rDev +29.1%

I was raised in the town this beer is brewed and ever since they started making this Lager, their production has increased by more than 10 times. This is an excellent lager with a great taste. A little heavy - don't want to drink this on a full stomach, but very refreshing on a hot day. If on the East Coast, you got to give this one a try. Take the brewery tour if local - get free samples of all their brands! This truly is a world class beer!

3.58/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

This has become a very popular beer around here. So every bar and restaraunt has it. Pours a nice amber color with a small off white head that disappears quickly. Smell is sweet malt. Taste is good. Malty and slightly sweet with not nuch else going on. Very drinkable in that it tastes good and goes down easy. Great beer for the all day picnic. It is also nice to know that it is always there for you, even in those bar that only carry macro crap beers.

3.7/5  rDev +9.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Part of the Poitras/VA 2004 vacation.

Enjoyed on tap at Champps, Reston, VA.

Presented in a huge 24oz? Shaker glass. Beige 1/4" head, which had little retention and laced okay, over a copper brew. Aroma a somewhat generic pale malt/hops aroma. Taste is reasonably well-balanced, with good mouthfeel. Drinkability was very good, with high sessionability. A pleasant and enjoyable lager.

2.95/5  rDev -12.5%

This beer is nice to have when youre on a diet of primarily busch and coors light. But given that typical diet, its also hard to review this beer with a pallate that is so out of shape, as it were, but here goes anwyay. Its appearnce is a rather muted brown color, with very little lustre to it. The carbonation bubbles are huge, and the head is almost non existant, leaving no lace or ring. The smell is all that typical lager yeast and wheat smell. Reminds me alot of the saranac lager actually. The taste is not offensive, but theres not a whole lot to it either. Definatley the wheats again with a hint of yeasts but not much hops to be had. Mouthfeel is on the thin side. I guess Im predisposed against lagers, because Im a huge hop-head, but all in all, this isnt actually that bad.

3.43/5  rDev +1.8%

On-tap @ The Office in Ridgewood, NJ

Light amber color with a small fluffy head that disappates quickly. Very average aroma, a touch on the hoppy side, but nothing too notable. Tastes very smooth. It fits the stereotype of an average lager, but it's easily a step above any of the crappy macrobrews that you can usually find for around the same price. Very drinkable.

Since Yuengling is still unavailable in Massachusetts, I make sure to get my fill of it when i visit my friends and family in New Jersey. Whether you find this beer average or highly enjoyable, it is still one of the best bangs for your buck in the tri-state area. 16 bucks for a case at the local liquor store here in Fair Lawn, NJ. I'm bringing back at least 2 cases of it for me and my roommates in Boston.

Yuengling Traditional Lager from Yuengling Brewery