Yuengling Traditional Lager - Yuengling Brewery

Yuengling Brewery visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

American Amber / Red Lager |  4.40% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-28-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Yuengling Traditional Lager Alström Bros
Ratings: 5,713 | Reviews: 1,676
3.53/5  rDev +3.8%

Appearance: orangey amber with 1.5 finger cream-colored head. Moderate lacing.

Smell: citrusy hops and not much else. Very clean, light aroma.

Taste: light bready malt and citrusy hops with a dry finish.

Mouthfeel: tight carbonation gives a clean, light mouthfeel.

Drinkability: Easy on the palate without being bland. Excellent session beer.

2.72/5  rDev -20%

Poured from a can into a straight sided pint. Grainy with a bit of floral hop aroma. That may be a strech. No problems with the appearance. Exactly as it should be pale/straw with a thin cap of snow white head. No real hop flavor or bitterness at all. Not much bitterness to speak of either. Just grainy. Med bodied with lively CO2 rolls through the mouth. Very drying. Pretty much exactly what you’d expect from the style. I’d chose Yuengling any day over the big boys.

3.56/5  rDev +4.7%

Poured into a pint glass from a green 12-ouncer with a twist-off cap. Head is 1-1/2" or so, but only briefly on top of a golden-copper colored brew.

Aroma: Malts and wheat predominate. This smells just a little bit better than your average macro.

As far as taste and mouthfeel go, they're appropriate to a style that's actually much better to drink as a "standby" beer than a macro pilsner, say. As this beer warms it comes off kind of sour, so this one is best consumed cold.

Yuengling Traditional Lager's drinkability is solid and reliablye good. As I said above, a good standby beer for barbecues or just chillin at home.

4.23/5  rDev +24.4%

Not so much a review as a testimonial...this is the beer that took me out of the world of macrobeers; the BMC's, if you will. I was always hesitant to drink anything darker than a Bud or MGD, but once I tasted a Lager, I was forever changed. Add to this the fact that a sixer of Lager was the same price as (if no less than) a sixer of one of the macros. Serving this at cookouts at my place always elicits a "hey, this is pretty good" from the BMC drinkers.

Always my fall-back beer when I'm not in the mood for a micro, I can, with a clear conscience, enjoy a Lager and know that I am not in the grasp of the "evil" macro-brewers.

4.03/5  rDev +18.5%

Pours an interesting amber color, slight head that vanishes soon. Aroma is slightly hoppy and bready. Taste is carmelly sweet up front, with hops in the mid to finish taste. Good for an American macrotype lager. Mouthfeel is actually kinda harsh. Perhaps overcarbonated to my tastes. Very drinkable and enjoyable on a hot day.

4.68/5  rDev +37.6%

This beer has a breathtaking red tinge to it.
This beer has slide down my throat like my own saliva.
This beer...Sustains all life.
This beer has the most amazing label ever
I'm sure I'm biased on this beer, being that I'm from philly, but I've never seen a more beautiful beer in my ridiculously experienced 20 years. Everything about this beer says traditional american lager to me. It's basically pre prohibition american lager. This is before Satan peed in our beer and left us with that feminized swill we call coors, budweiser, or miller, or any other "American Lager." The Yuengling brewrey has the longest history of any brewrey still in buisiness and is still centered in a Pennsylavania coal town. This beer is so awsome I want to cry. And right now, i'm so full of yuengling that my tears would taste like it!!! DELAWARE VALLEY PRIDE! center of the universe.

This is an average brew. Plain, simple and without any real distinguishing characteristics other than a moderate price and widespread availability. One could do worse than Yuengling Lager and it is often the only decent tap available in local watering holes.
Some nice floral hops in the nose with traces of biscuit malt. A little darker than a typical macro with a rocky white head. Taste is clean and includes a nice balaance of biscuity malt and floral hops with some fruity highlights. Drinkable on a hot day? Yup!

2.67/5  rDev -21.5%

Appearance: an amber colored body with a loose thin head that recedes just before I finish the beer. The retention isn't terrible, it just doesn't last long enough.

Smell: Crisp, fruity smell.

Taste: This beer has a fruity hop to it. I have a problem with the metallic taste the beer has. It also has an overly sweet malt.

Mouthfeel: Light and crisp. No problems here, and it is refreshing.

Drinkability: I guess this is up there with the beers that I could drink a lot of, but I wouldn't pay for it, and I wouldn't go out of my way for it. This used to be my go to beer, but I have drank a lot of beer since then and learned quite a bit.

2.4/5  rDev -29.4%

Appearance - Amber color. Medium head that fades to oblivion, no lacing.

Smell - Not gross, but not good at all. Citrusy and piney hop odors that just don't mesh correctly. A slight malt character.

Taste - Slight stomach acid taste in the first moments. Then very strong toasty notes that stick around. It's all right.

Mouthfeel - Thin and acidic. Leaves mouth with an unpleasant stinging. Not the worst thing ever, but pretty close.

Drinkability - Would go well with a lot of foods. Not too powerful, leaving the option for another wide open. The acidic nature makes me want a nice porter though, not another yuengling.

3.01/5  rDev -11.5%

I'm a big fan of Yuengling. I moved to the mid-Atlantic in 1998, never having tried it before, and have been a fan ever since. Plus, it's such a solid alternative to so many of the bland and mass-produced American-style lagers out there. It's not a great beer, and there's no real aroma worth writing home about, but it is crisp and often refreshing. It won't impress too many knowledgeable beer drinkers, but I don't think it's trying to. It reminds me, in a sense, of Shiner Bock, which I used to drink lots of in Texas, although they don't taste a lot alike. They do, however, present themselves in an unpretentious and dependable manner. It isn't fancy, but it is credible.

3.31/5  rDev -2.6%

poured from a 22 oz. bottle into pint glass
copper-reddish color with an initially sizable head that fell fast and disappeared. smelled musty, sort of like old leather. tasted mildy sweet with mellow malt and a faint metallic hop note that crept into the finish. crisp light-bodied mouthfeel. a solid, balanced lager that could be consumed for a whole night. nothing sticks out in particular but this brew isn't trying to be anything it's not. a decent utility beer for a palate that needs a break or just feels lazy.

2.51/5  rDev -26.2%

I had this on tap at a company outing.

Taps a beautiful light orange/amber color with a 1 finger head of white, large bubbles. Head drops to barely a ring in @ 3 minutes. No lacing. Strong carbonation evident.

DMS is, unfortunately, the only thing I smell every time I drink this beer. Sweet cooked corn, caramel corn, and very, very faint herbal hops if I work my ass off to smell them.

The flavor is dominated by sweet cooked veggies, thin, watery, slight hop bitterness for balance. The aftertaste is short sweet caramel corn.

Mouthfeel is thin and watery. Medium carbonation scoots across the tongue. Finish is somewhat chalky and astringent.

I wouldn't want to drink this all day long. It's not very interesting, nor is it thirst quenching. It's not a bad beer, there's just not much going on here.

3.12/5  rDev -8.2%

Thanks to Brent for hand-carrying this bottle from Washington DC to Moscow. The beer pours a clear light copper hue under a one finger light beige head that settles disappointingly quickly. The nose is full of sweet malt, with a hint of raspberry syrup. The mouth is quite light and very prickly. The tastebuds are met by mild malt, with minimal malt balance. There is a touch of tartness, which converts to a metallic finish that lingers into the aftertaste. Globetrotterette was so unimpressed that she let me finish her portion. Can't say I was any more smitten of this bland brew.

3.65/5  rDev +7.4%

Pours a clear golden amber body with a decent white head. Nice full malty aroma with a light sweetness to it. Incredibly smooth mouthfeel, very refreshing. Good malty taste, with a only a hint of hops, just enough to make it balanced. For a mass produced lager, this is pretty good stuff, which is good because it's easy to find at most bars in the mid-atlantic region.

2.7/5  rDev -20.6%

This score is somewhat unfair. I had a Gumballhead, Pliny the Elder, MH #9, and a cask ale BEFORE I had this one poured.

Normally, Yuengling will work just fine for me as a simple beer to have with friends at a game. I like Yuengling.

But it was oh so plain and oh so bland, and the flavor actually came across rather offensive instead of unobtrusive. Poured somewhat reddish and had no nose or real taste other than an off-water flavor.

Drink one if they're around, but nothing to go out of your way for.

3.26/5  rDev -4.1%

This is one of those beers to gateway individuals into craft brews. the amber tone and big head give this a nice appearance for starters. As you taste it you realize that its pretty good lager. Smooth mouthfeel; the flavor is not much to right home about but, I fine that's the case with most lagers compared with ales. It works well as a session beer.

4.3/5  rDev +26.5%

I picked this Pennsylvania classic up in Florida after trying one at Disney's Sci-fi at MGM. After walking in 90+ degree heat, thisone was such a treat, I had to find some and bring some home. Found at a Winn-Dixie.
The beer pours a nice amber/gold with a fair white head. No fizz to thisone as a nice web of lace coats the glass. The aroma was grainlike with a mild sweet malt background. Another reviewer mentioned Vienna, could be.
The taste, not strong but a sweet malted grian with a hint of citric hop to crisp things up. This classic combo makes for a very drinkable brew anytime with a meal. A real treat indeed when temps raise for summer stuff.

3.79/5  rDev +11.5%

I asked my dad to bring me back a Pennsylvania beer when he went to Philly, and this is what he gave me. Initially, I was disappointed because, though I knew this was America's oldest brewery, I guess I associated it with Iron City--a shitty micro-macro. This notion was dispelled when I poured it, as I was greeted by a gorgeous reddish-golden beer with dynamic bubble action. It smells slightly of chemically-coated plastic, but no matter. It tastes great, ridiculously smooth, very refreshing. Nothing especially interesting in the taste, nothing groundbreaking, just a very solid beer, very drinkable beer. I can see why this brewery stuck around.

3.38/5  rDev -0.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A classic beer in Steeler's Bar- Mars area, PA.

The Lager came with a frosty glass and at 95 degrees that day I went with it. My review is on the second bottle- which I retained the now ready glass for.

Whipped head and a bronze color that approached a Sam Adams.

Little aroma but a lightly sweet body and finish.

Interesting enough to convert the Coors Light regulars?
Maybe.

3.13/5  rDev -7.9%

I think I'm just immune to this at this point b/c I used to actually like this beer out of the bottle about 8 years ago.
Appears a light amber color with a small white head that soon leaves the glass. Some spotty lacing is left behind.
Smell is of faint caramel and vienna malts with a mild hop aroma.
Taste is pretty average. Slightly malty lager without a whole lot of character has a mild biscuit taste and a mild zing that makes it somewhat enjoyable.
Mouthfeel is ok at best. Nothing really complicated here, as it leans towards the malt end and lingers on the front of the tongue.
Drinkability is a little better than average. Nothing to really get excited about though.

It's ok, dog.

2.43/5  rDev -28.5%

I had this at a bar in Germantown, MD.

The pour had a fairly decent appearance -- light copper color and a thin foamy head. Minimal lacing as the beer was consumed.
The smell was clean; nice and malty with detectable hops.

And then the first taste certainly did not impress me. The pour seemed highly carbonated and tasted a bit metallic. The taste was on the sweet side and had some decent bitter. Beyond that there was nothing that stood out taste-wise -- it was rather bland.

The carbonation was very noticable in the mouth. I was no fond of this feeling.

This is one of the few beers I have every actually not finished (I drank 75% of the glass). I'm certainly not going to order this one again unless I get a taste of one that is better for some reason.

3.3/5  rDev -2.9%

Seeing the only place you can buy this beer is in PA( it can be bought in NJ & NY also as far as i know), a buddy brought up a 6-pack. This is by far the poor mans Sam Adams and a rich mans Bud.. It has a pale golden hue to it. The head is a sea-foam white. It goes down quick and smooth, with no hint of a after taste. You can drink a 6-pack and not even know it. It will give you a good, quick buzz so be careful. But this is a good beer to have in the summer time when you are firing up the grill. Smooth and refreshing!

2.76/5  rDev -18.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Had this from a bottle at a restaurant which was lacking in selection. Golden amber with a thin head that disappeared quickly, no lacing, and lots of carbonation bubbles. Nose is almost non-existant, with just the fatest trace of malts coming through. Taste is more of the same, a washed out maltiness, maybe a little caramel, nasty astringent aftertaste. Body is thin and the beer is overcarbonated. It's been a long time since I've had one of these, and now I can see why.

2.68/5  rDev -21.2%

Pretty average. Nothing special or exciting about it. Very non threatening. If I had to pay two dollars a bottle more at a bar than I would have to pay for Bud Miller or Coors, I'd probably get a Bud Miller or Coors (well, not Bud).
Maybe I'd pay $1 more for a bottle if I had to.
Generally overrated, I feel, but not a bad beer.

3.47/5  rDev +2.1%

I had this beer in Altoona,PA and it was one of the biggest seller in the PA beer market. Now I understand why. I had it on tap, then in bottle. On tap, it pours a beautiful golden honey brown colour with a white foamy head changing very quickly to laces. It lacks smell, but its taste buys back for the lack of smell. It got lot of savour. It tastes like sort of honey beer. The mouthfeel is a little watery, but it is fun enough to be enjoyed. Overall, it was a pretty good beer on tap. In bottle, it was more average as product. I don't know why, but at least, it was much better than BMC macros.

Yuengling Traditional Lager from Yuengling Brewery