Yuengling Traditional Lager - Yuengling Brewery

Yuengling Brewery visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

American Amber / Red Lager |  4.40% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-28-2001

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Yuengling Traditional Lager Alström Bros

4.75/5  rDev +39.7%

2.5/5  rDev -26.5%

3.7/5  rDev +8.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

*12 Oz. Bottle*
I was craving a Yuengling lager last night. So I went down the street to a local swill shop, and picked up a sixer. The price was 6 dollars and some change. Can't beat that if you want a nice refreshing beer that isn't offensively bitter nor has many off favors. I really just don't dig the aroma that well. The flavor to me is the winner, next to the nice price tag. There is hints of caramel and some citrus with a sweet tart and nice toasted bread finish. Very, very minimum bitterness. Very refreshing. The aroma I am doing last. It smells like fruits with some sulfur. Egh. Whatever. The body is light and carbonation is on point.

Overall: This is one of my personal favorite Lagers. This beats the Summer Time blues FO SHO! This is a sessional brew that I goto at the Pool Hall, because I am a hipster. My motto is, every beer has it's place. This beer does have a place. In my fridge! Next to my Belgian Strong Darks. This brew is worthy!

3.91/5  rDev +15%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a can into a pilsner glass at around 45°F

Appearance: Amber with a soapy one finger off white head that dissipates quickly.

Smell: Toasted malts and a bit of earthiness

Taste: Toasted malts, caramel, toffee, grassy earthiness

Mouthfeel: Smooth, crisp, and refreshing

Overall: This tastes like a watered down Elliot Ness to me, but that's not at all a bad thing. I could have this as my every day go to "cheap" beer and be okay with it. This beats the hell out of anything around its price range (BMC) and is great for what it is. For $16 a case, this is by far my favorite "cheap" beer.

1.25/5  rDev -63.2%

3.58/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Along with Samuel Adams and New Belgium's Fat Tire, I think this Lager is the benchmark for macro lagers. Very drinkable and refreshing. Also quite fascinating as it pre-dates the civil war. In my humble "Craft Newbie" opinion, It's as close to a craft as a mass-produced lager can get.

2.25/5  rDev -33.8%