Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

Yuengling Traditional Lager - Yuengling Brewery

Yuengling Traditional LagerYuengling Traditional Lager

Yuengling Brewery visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

American Amber / Red Lager |  4.40% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-28-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Yuengling Traditional Lager Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,611 | Hads: 5,861
4.11/5  rDev +22%
look: 2 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This is a very smooth lighter lager. A nice crisp taste that goes down very easy. I enjoyed drinking this beer for a first time. I would defenitely try it again. It has a light amber color with a perfect amount of carbonation. This is one of the better beers to sit around and relax with friends.

3.15/5  rDev -6.5%

Not usually a fan of lighter beers, but this is one I do enjoy.

Its taste is crisp and something I like, but the carbination is something that I dont always like on a thinner beer to be so much. Feels too sharp on the tounge.

I do enjoy this and will drink it again, most likely when options are thin

3.47/5  rDev +3%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Very clear light Amber. Head mostly disappears in short order. Still, there is a little lacing.

Quite malty aroma with a noticable presence of noble hops.

Taste is dominated by malt but the hops bitterness comes through just fine. Clean with a rounded finish.

Medium body and well carbonated.

I'm just not wild about lagers but this is one of the best I've had. Plenty of taste with no "off" or harsh flavors.

3.55/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

A solid brew....Pours a light yellow amber with a head that dissipates quickly. Smell is a decent malty nose with some light hop elements. Taste is mainly sweet and malty, with a light hop finish. Mouthfeel is chewy, medium with a slickness that finishes in a dryness. Easy enough on the drinkability scale.

3.3/5  rDev -2.1%

This is a very sought after beer here. The store owners always complain that it is in such high demand, yet they are unable to have it distributed to them. I agree that it is a good beer, but like the gentleman before me suggests, it is in limbo between macro and micro beers. It does have a very pleasant taste, and virtually no aftertaste. It is reasonable priced as well. I do wish it was available around me, as it is a treat to get when I can.

2.41/5  rDev -28.5%

Amber bodied with a beige-ish head. Smells like malts and hops but a bit of yeast. Personally, I think this beer tastes pretty awful. Granted, it's not as bad MBC beers, but I think this beer out of the bottle tastes below average. Couldn't tell you why but I think it tastes much better out of a can. I seem to be the only person around here who doesn't like it. Mouthfeel is dry and light. And for me, this is just not a drinkable beer based on the fact that I don't enjoy the flavor. My advice - go grab a Yuengling Porter, not this.

3.33/5  rDev -1.2%

Poured lighter than I thought it would quite a bit of carbonation that settled down fairly quickly leaving a nice bit of lacework. Toasted malts in the nose. Pleasant aroma. Just slightly malty to start, before striking a perfect balance between malt and hops. A light bodied beer with a smooth mouthfeel that is very easy to drink. The finish is nice and dry for a cheaper lager. Too many cheap lagers finish slick and sweet. A pleasant tartness also surfaces after the finish. A light, very easy drinkin' and pleasant lager.

4.15/5  rDev +23.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

I was suprised that I had not ever heard of this beer before I went to college. At one point one of my roomates showed up with a 18 pack of cans. Neither I nor any of my friends had ever tried this stuff, but Im not one to turn down a beer so I went for it. When poured it was a nice reddish orange color. Had a somewhat caramel color head which dissappared rather quickly. Excellent flavor, best American beer that I have had thus far. Price was pretty good also, which supprised me for the flavor that it had.

3.83/5  rDev +13.6%

I am so lucky I live across from the Tampa Brewery. Just on a lark, I decided to try this hometown brand (little did I know they are from PA). What I discovered was everything I like about Budweiser* (yeah, yeah macros evil/piss/swill etc) only with a lot more flavor, but it isn't overwhelming allowing it to be paired with lots of foods. Some people may look down upon the 3.5% ABV (edit: turns out this is not 3.5 per volume but by weight and even that number is low according to the chemist at the brewery), but I see it as allowing me to drink more without getting drunk. If you can get this at the supermarket do so. At a price of $8 for a 12 pack, you can have a decent beer without rearranging your budget (especially important for college students such as myself)

*Oh boy, this is embarassing...I tried Budwesier again the other day while bowling and can't believe there was anything I liked about it. Tasted like beer flavored water...

Edit: I hadn't had Yuengling in a while. It is a good beer, still my fall back, but after trying so many others it doesn't compare as well. I wish for taste there was a 3.75 option, because some of my 4's are significantly better and some 3.5s are worse than this.

3.76/5  rDev +11.6%

Appearance: A nice light brown color, with a solid head.

Taste: Very slight taste; notes of light maltiness and sweetness... that's pretty much it. But, it's low key nature is actually an asset because it can be pared with anything, anytime, and it's hard to get sick of it.

Mouthfeel is pretty average, as is the smell... I can't think of anything distinctive about these characteristics.

Bottomline: I've virtually always had it on tap from pitchers, and its been pretty constant. If you want a dirt-cheap beer that's not offensive, get this. It's oh-so drinkable; the quintessence of what a session beer should be when you're hitting the bars (or playing quizzo in Phillie)

3.35/5  rDev -0.6%

Pours the colour of Iced Tea. Minimal head. Aroma is not much maybe a bit of caramel bread, but thats pushing it. Taste is smooth. More malty than most Macros. Sweet taste with just a tough of dryness at the finish.. Very easy drinking. Not very carbonated. Sweetnes cuts the drinkability, However for a macro its the same price as BUD and so much better!!

2.7/5  rDev -19.9%

Another sub-par offering from Yuengling.

Light describes this lager. Light in color, light in hopping, light in malt, light in body... Its only strength is that it is well balanced and therefore, rather drinkable.

I could see drinking this beer on lazy days, but only because it is superior to macro-brews, and the price is dirt cheap.

Now I ask you, I'm supposed to be impressed by Yuengling because of what?

4.35/5  rDev +29.1%

I was raised in the town this beer is brewed and ever since they started making this Lager, their production has increased by more than 10 times. This is an excellent lager with a great taste. A little heavy - don't want to drink this on a full stomach, but very refreshing on a hot day. If on the East Coast, you got to give this one a try. Take the brewery tour if local - get free samples of all their brands! This truly is a world class beer!

3.58/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

This has become a very popular beer around here. So every bar and restaraunt has it. Pours a nice amber color with a small off white head that disappears quickly. Smell is sweet malt. Taste is good. Malty and slightly sweet with not nuch else going on. Very drinkable in that it tastes good and goes down easy. Great beer for the all day picnic. It is also nice to know that it is always there for you, even in those bar that only carry macro crap beers.

3.7/5  rDev +9.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Part of the Poitras/VA 2004 vacation.

Enjoyed on tap at Champps, Reston, VA.

Presented in a huge 24oz? Shaker glass. Beige 1/4" head, which had little retention and laced okay, over a copper brew. Aroma a somewhat generic pale malt/hops aroma. Taste is reasonably well-balanced, with good mouthfeel. Drinkability was very good, with high sessionability. A pleasant and enjoyable lager.

2.95/5  rDev -12.5%

This beer is nice to have when youre on a diet of primarily busch and coors light. But given that typical diet, its also hard to review this beer with a pallate that is so out of shape, as it were, but here goes anwyay. Its appearnce is a rather muted brown color, with very little lustre to it. The carbonation bubbles are huge, and the head is almost non existant, leaving no lace or ring. The smell is all that typical lager yeast and wheat smell. Reminds me alot of the saranac lager actually. The taste is not offensive, but theres not a whole lot to it either. Definatley the wheats again with a hint of yeasts but not much hops to be had. Mouthfeel is on the thin side. I guess Im predisposed against lagers, because Im a huge hop-head, but all in all, this isnt actually that bad.

3.43/5  rDev +1.8%

On-tap @ The Office in Ridgewood, NJ

Light amber color with a small fluffy head that disappates quickly. Very average aroma, a touch on the hoppy side, but nothing too notable. Tastes very smooth. It fits the stereotype of an average lager, but it's easily a step above any of the crappy macrobrews that you can usually find for around the same price. Very drinkable.

Since Yuengling is still unavailable in Massachusetts, I make sure to get my fill of it when i visit my friends and family in New Jersey. Whether you find this beer average or highly enjoyable, it is still one of the best bangs for your buck in the tri-state area. 16 bucks for a case at the local liquor store here in Fair Lawn, NJ. I'm bringing back at least 2 cases of it for me and my roommates in Boston.

2.46/5  rDev -27%

What do you drink when you go to a restaurant, and there's not much choice other than the same old, same old. This was an amber/red beer. Tiny head. Disapated before I could drink it. More carbonation than I think it needed. Nothing that I could really smell, but what do I know? I prefer dark and stout. This was neither, and they had neither. It tasted a lot like beer. Hoppy, grainy, and slightly bitter. Did I think it was drinkable? Yeah, it was beer. I would have rather enjoyed a good craft brew, but this is what my choice was. It was just as it was scored, average, and I wasn't impressed.

3.41/5  rDev +1.2%

Paid $8.99 for a 12pk. in Western PA

A pretty stard lager appearence, beautiful gold base with the small white head, retains for a bit, then lost... better than average. The smell was faint if that, not too impressed about it.

The taste makes up for the smell, but it kind of fits between the macro-Candian lagers (Labatt & Molson) and macro-German lagers/pils (Warsteiner, Krombacher, Pott's), so slightly better than average, typical lager taste with NO complexity going on. Mouthfeel and drinkability are the highlight of this beer where you can really drink this stuff down one after another, and it won't bust your wallet.

Final Thought: This is one of my favorite mini-macro beers in America, especially for the price-to-quality ratio!

2.68/5  rDev -20.5%

Pours our to a sparkingly clear copper, forming a small white head with poor retention and no lacing, requiring a hefty pour to compose a head. Carbonation level is the epitome of average American domestics. Aroma begins with suggestion of pale and amber malts, with an odd sweetness, a funky skunky kinda corn thing, but not totally unpleasant, and maybe a touch of diacetyl. Mouthfeel is spritzy with a light body and very clean and crisp finish. Taste begins with an odd corn taste, followed by a bit of skunked hops, an odd pale malt sweetness, a touch of caramel, and a delicate spicy bitterness. The aftertaste suggests saccharin and corn.

Hrmm, this really isn't bad, but it's not entirely good either. Better than most domestic macrobrews, the clean finish and crisp, watery mouthfeel make this a summer thirst quencher and beach party type of brew.

Thanx to Katie for providing the goods.

2.35/5  rDev -30.3%

Pale orange with a hint of amber. The head is small and isn't overly dense. It doesn't look like it'll last long at all (it doesn't) and I'll be surprised if I see much lace (I wasn't surprised).

The aroma has that sharp, pungent smell that reminds me of some macro lagers. It must be either the hops or a wee bit of skunk. In any case, the nose isn't pleasant to my nose at all. The flavor is a small cut above the lagers from BMC. Slightly sour grain with a little maltiness. This is incredibly one-dimensional beer, with that one dimension collapsing as quickly as the mouthfeel.

I didn't have high hopes for Yuengling Traditional Lager, but I was sort of curious to see what 'America's Oldest Brewery' has to offer. If anyone offers this beer to me in the future, I'll politely decline.

3.13/5  rDev -7.1%

On draught at the Rex Theatre in Pittsburgh. Not a bad concert beer. Copper colored with a thin white head, very little lacing. Light aroma of hops with a hint of malt, but I really had to bury my nose to get it. Light-bodied and just as drinkable and smooth as the bottled version. Flavors of hops and malt are muted, and the finish is smooth and lightly bitter. Not a lot going on but I can see why this is featured so much in the region.

3.93/5  rDev +16.6%

A great beer. Goes down smooth and tastes great. For the price you'll be hard pressed to find a better lager for hangin' with the guys. One of the best American lagers on the market that you don't have to go out of your way to get. I can't think of a better beer to get if I have nine bucks to my name and a night of poker with the guys to kill.

3.1/5  rDev -8%

A: Clear pale amber in color with a thin but sortof sticky head.

S: At first, right out of the ice in a cooler, the smells were nearly absent. I had to put this one aside for a few minutes and come back to it. Predominant aroma (and it's not very strong, just the strongest smell I could get from this one) is a sort of floral hop aroma. There is a bit of a yeasty/malty smell that comes out. The smell from this one is a bit strange, not bad strange, but unique.

T: Tastes are, perhaps unsurprisingly, on the thin side. There's a nice balanced hoppy/malty taste that demands absolutely no attention. Again, not in a bad sense, this one is merely there.

M: Somewhat watery, but it cleans the palate nicely and leaves no discernible aftertaste.

D&N: For a macro, this one's not bad at all. I picked up a twelve pack to take to my skydiving pals, and this seems to be a good choice for that. Relatively cheap, widely available, and way better than Bud. Perfect picnic fodder when you just want to have a beer without having to scribble down notes for a review.

3.53/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A bomber with a twist-off cap? Orangey amber color with columns of bubbles rising quickly to the top. A light beige, thick head rises up 2 inches high and drops down quickly. Aroma is malty, a bit grapey, slightly pungent with some lemon undertones. Mouthfeel is light and tingly, crisp and dry, giving way to flavors of malt, with hints of pear and honey. Not much more complex than that, and I might be dreaming the pear and honey.

Yuengling Traditional Lager from Yuengling Brewery