Follow our progress ...

Style: American Amber / Red Lager

Added by BeerAdvocate on 08-28-2001

Reviews: 1,657 | Ratings: 6,176
4.65/5  rDev +38%

WOW. No really, WOW. This stuff is ridiculously wonderful. It has a great taste, not too heavy not too light, not too hoppy not too plain Jane, not too carbonated, good smell. All relative to the price WHICH by the way is pretty darn cheap, but then again I was in Pennsylvania where it is brewed so it may be cheaper there. Put it this way, they should raise the price. It's WAY better than the Bud/Miller/Coors line up. Excellent Beer!!!

3.44/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a tulip glass. Medium clear amber color with a 3 finger white head. Nose is a faint bread yeast. This reminded me of the smell from being outside the HS Bakery in Fells Point, Baltimore. Sweet on the tip of the tongue, malt and the faintest of hops. Moderate carbonation and body. This is the most drinkable of the American non-craft beers and the only one I will drink. No Miller, Coors or Bud passes over my tongue. And . . . this is an independent, not part of a international mega corp like Bud. When I have a party and do not want to waste good craft beer on non-caring beer drinkers, I serve this. Great with wings, steamed crabs and 'cue.

3.55/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Gorgeous beer. Tastes better than most mass produced lagers out there. Never offensive and at this low abv it's totally crushable. Not a bad choice when nothing but AAL are available.

3.79/5  rDev +12.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a bottle into a tumbler glass. The green bottle might be skunky, so my review will be reflecting this.

Pours a clear amber with lots of bubbly streams of carbonation and a finger of off white head. The aroma offers green grass, sweet corn, brown sugary grain, and toasted biscuit.
Caramel, toast, and corn hit the tongue, followed by green apple, faint earth, lots of freshly clipped grass, and a touch of lemon to balance things out. Quite crisp and clean--except for a touch too much of caramel sweetness, this is near pilsner level of sessionability.
The mouthfeel is light, but not thin or watery, and well carbonated. Very easy to throw back.

Though I don't drink this one much anymore, this was an old favorite, an introduction to craft beer, and still remains one of the best cheap, widely available craft lagers on the market.

3.24/5  rDev -3.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

The beer pours a creamy white head that takes a while to dissipate. The beer itself is a clear medium amber color. The overall look isn't bad but it isn't very inspiring or anything super fancy. It's just enough to get the job done.

The smell is pretty simple but it isn't bad. A light hop bitterness mixed with sweet and very light caramel malt notes. Slight alcohol note. Although, it comes off as soda sometimes but it still has more personality than those other mass produced brands.

The taste is just as simple as the smell. Light hop bitterness with a slightly stronger light caramel malt note with a slight alcohol note that comes out fairly strongly.

The feel is pretty light with some biting carbonation. It has enough texture to be drinkable.

Overall, an acceptable beer for the craft beer geek if there's no Boston Lager around anywhere. This is something you bring out for parties where you need some mass appeal.

4.11/5  rDev +22%

This isn't a beer I pour, smell, allow to warm (deliberately), or make a big fuss about the countless aspects of its flavor, because I didn't pay $10 for 6 beers. Although, I will say the bottles taste better than cans, justifying the whole $.20 price difference. I digress. Whether I'm on a lake bank tossing out a line, floating in a canoe sweating them out faster than I drink them, running a beer pong table, or on my porch playing guitar, Yuengling fails to disappoint. It doesn't taste like carbonated water, and it doesn't have the calories of a steak dinner. Right in the middle. Crisp, refreshing, affordable, flavorful, and pairs well with anything (especially another Yuengling). This was the first beer I had without the word "light" behind it when I was (non incriminating) years old. It opened my eyes to a world of beer beyond Bud, Miller, and Coor's, so I'm slightly biased on this one. Regardless, if you haven't tried it, give it a swig. There's nothing fancy or gimmicky about it. Just a solid, tasty beer. This is my "go to" when I don't want to spend more money on a sixer of something I end up hating. Cheers!

4.2/5  rDev +24.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Not bad at all, especially for the price. Almost always there when nothing else is. A classic go to lager, for the low price of the high end gas station beer

3.27/5  rDev -3%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.75

Yo this beer is the best cheap beer on the market.
look: It looks like you grinded up a pine cone and a bag of wheat together...surprisingly it looks like a christmas tree that died.
Smell:Like it looks, malt, wheaty and taste like a white christmas tree.
Taste: Really surprised with this one. Wasn't expecting much but hot amighty is it good. Literally tastes like the garden of eden. Picture walking into a meadow and blending a pinecone into a fresh stream that is what this beer taste like...THIS BEER IS A YUP.
Feel: Feels like you're drinking from the garden of eden....yessir.
Overall: Highly suggest, if you're looking for a cheaper beer that has good taste, this should be your go to beer. HOLLA

3.82/5  rDev +13.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

When you are looking for simply a classic lager. This is it. This is a solid "go to" beer when at a restaurant that doesn't sell any decent crafts. Yuengling will always have a place in my heart as an enjoyable cheap beer.

Had this out of a can. Smelled like budweiser. Taste like a fuller flavored budweiser. Feel is alright. I had it at a wedding just to try with a few friends. I'm not a budweiser fan so this didn't do it for me, though I prefer this beer to that. Not terrible, but just really similar to the smell and taste of budweiser.

3.39/5  rDev +0.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: Clean golden amber, with an ample head of fine off-white suds. Attractive web of lacing.

Aroma: Caramel malts, grain, toffee, a bit of fruitiness.

Taste: Rich and caramel-malty, both smooth and easy to drink. This amber lager is infinitely better than all the American adjunct “junk” lagers, and certainly one I’d not turn down if offered again. Maybe not a completely perfect brew, but one that certainly pleases for the price point.

3.14/5  rDev -6.8%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Decent enough traditional lager. Grassy and dry with lively carbonation. Easy drinkability. A little sweetness and bread in there but has a hint of lemony citron that cuts through. There are many worse offerings out there.

1.66/5  rDev -50.7%

Disappointingly poor. The first few I tried, I liked. But, as I became more familiar, I began to notice a sourness. It tastes good, but there was an unacceptable "extra" taste to their beer. I did not find that same sour taste in their Light version. I will write it off to the green bottle. Their light comes in a brown bottle and it actually tastes better, to me, than the Traditional Lager. Certainly better than most, but I would suggest they stop the green bottle use and get all their beer in brown bottles.

3.61/5  rDev +7.1%

Dark amber in color with a thick 2 finger head that quickly dissipated.
Malty, grassy and bready in the aroma. Good amount of carbonation gives that prickley bite on the end of your tongue. Taste is sweet malts, grass, bread and light hop presence. This to me is just a good representation of the style. Smooth well balanced and very drinkable. Not a world class beer, but in my opinion, a very enjoyable Good beer!

3.58/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

24 ounce can poured into pint glass. Light copper in color. Small beige head. Smells of corn, faint caramel, malts, grain, corn. Taste is caramel, some adjunct grain, corn, some hints of toffee. Good carb, and very easy and refreshing to drink. I've also had it on tap and in the bottle, but much prefer this beer from the can. Much better option than any of the other adjunct type styles.

3.5/5  rDev +3.9%

Look - dark golden with thin white head, zero lacing

Aroma - strong yeast, malts

Flavor - toasted malt, follows the nose, some caramel hints

Feel - medium body, dry and crisp yeasty finish

Overall - I'm not a macro beer guy but this is the one I can most tolerate as a PA boy...I do like the toasted flavor

3.75/5  rDev +11.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

This was my go to beer when I lived on the East Coast. Hopefully one day they will ship west past the Mississippi. If you're out East, definitely give it a try if you've never had one before.

The beer pours a nice dark golden color every time.

The taste is great and never gets old.

The smell is average, nothing too special.

Ah the memories, wish I had one right now. Drink on!

3.24/5  rDev -3.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Poured from draft in a translucent copper cold. Smells of slight caramel sweetness with a wet cardboard note. Body is thin and watery. There is a gentle caramel sweetness that is fleeting across the tongue. Aftertaste is mildly offensive with notes of wet paper.

3.88/5  rDev +15.1%

12 fl oz. can, no apparent canned on date. My first encounter with a can of Yuengling, gifted to me from a friend.

Poured into a Duvel tulip glass.

A - It pours a nice coppery amber body- a touch darker than I expected. About a finger and a half of frothy off-white head. Leaves some good sticky scattered lacing behind. Looks good, considering it's reputation.

S - A creamy, grainy, almost doughy sort of aroma. Sweet & malty, to be sure. Some brown bread perhaps, and maybe just a slight note of floral alcohol / metallics.

T - Taste follows the nose: sweetened, creamy, & grainy all around. Toasty & nutty, with a bit of bready malts and brown bread. A bit of traditional doughy earthy yeast in there as well.

M - The feel is crisp, smooth, & creamy. A nice dry, yeasty finish. Medium-light bodied, but drinkable and quenching.

Overall, I was pleasantly surprised with my first can of this stuff. I would rank it right up there with Samuel Adams Boston Lager in terms of flavor and drinkability. This one is packing a lot of flavor for a low abv. Would love to get more of this stuff.

Yuengling Traditional Lager -----4/5.

4.69/5  rDev +39.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

No time for a full blown review but let me just say that this is my all time favorite commercial brew. Unbelievable flavor for the price. Beer snobs who turn their nose up at this one are missing the boat. Incredibly refreshing and satisfying. Outstanding in every aspect from color to flavor!

3.66/5  rDev +8.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

L: Pours a brownish amber with two fingers of foam and sparse lacing. (Though this American classic drinks beautifully from a can)
S: Notes of wheat flour and malted grains with a subtle hint of charcoal smoke.
T: A light and grainy "American" with an initial rush of toasted bread, malt, toffee, and occasionally a slight metallic aftertaste.
F: Smooth and refreshing with ample carbonation that almost foams at each sip.
O: Simply stated this is my favorite large-scale traditional American brew. Its balance and hints of toasty malts set it apart from its macro peers- even its metallic imperfections pale in comparison to any old labels coming out of Milwaukee.

4.38/5  rDev +30%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This is my go to beer if I'm not feeling up to having a craft brew, that, or if I'm having hot wings. Anyway, onto the review. Note: I always get this on tap as, to me, it tastes the best.

Look: Poured into a pint glass, this beer is a nice amber color with a foamy white head which usually laces the glass.

Smell: Like a typical lager, you get that good ole yeast/bread smell though this one has something else that I can't quite pinpoint.

Taste: On tap, if really fresh, the taste of bread hits you first but finishes with, I think, roasted malts and/or caramel.

Feel: Good amount of carbonation at first, but it goes down smooth and crisp like one would expect.

Overall: Pretty good Lager, then again I'm a PA resident and this is the beer most of us live on, though I have had others that are better. If you are strapped for cash, this usually runs about 3 to 4 dollars per glass on tap. Cheers Everyone!

3.78/5  rDev +12.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

As far as an American lager is concerned, this beer is tops. Every chance I get to head out to the east coast, I am good for drinking a couple cases and bringing a couple more back to Chicago with me.

2.55/5  rDev -24.3%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Has cold from a 330ml bottle at DC.
Watery. Very clean. There is some taste of malt and hop in the beginning, but it dissipated quickly.
It is better than most macrobrews, but it is not that great. One can still get it quite cheaply up here though, 6.99 per six pack.

3.67/5  rDev +8.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

From a 12 fl. oz. can

Appearance: Dark amber with a good lasting lace.

Aroma: Grains and yeast. Not skunky. Seems promising.

Taste: Grainy and not bitter, sweet and smooth. Not offensive at all.

Mouthfeel: Good carbonation. Very enjoyable.

Overall: A good AAL beer, very drinkable anytime of the year.

Yuengling Traditional Lager from Yuengling Brewery