Yuengling Traditional Lager - Yuengling Brewery

good

Yuengling Brewery visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

American Amber / Red Lager |  4.40% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-28-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Yuengling Traditional Lager Alström Bros
3.08/5  rDev -9.7%

From 07/28/11 notes. Had on tap at Whitlow's in Arlington, VA. Poured into a pint glass.

a - Pours a deep amber color with one inch of off white head and moderate carbonation evident. No head retention or lacing on the glass.

s - Smells of wheat, grain, bready malts, and light toasted/caramel malts. Pretty average and nothing really jumps put at you, though it isn't offensive.

t - Taste follows the nose; grain, bready malts, corn, wheat, and light toasted and caramel malts. Again, more or less average.

m - Rather light to medium body and mdoerate carbonation. The slightest touch of overcarbonation, but not too bad.

o - Overall a pretty average beer; not bad, but nothing really stands out in it. I'd much rather drink one of these than most BMC beers, but it's nothing special. Have had it many times and I'm sure I will again; a good alternative to BMC beers at most bars on the East Coast.

mdfb79, Jul 29, 2011
4.5/5  rDev +32%

I am drinking this beer right after a High Life, and the distinctions between the two are clear. I have become a fan of Yuengling, as it is a much richer, more complex Lager than any of the American adjuncts. The High Life almost tastes like water compared to this beer. I prefer Sam Adams Boston Lager over this beer, but I can't think of many other Lagers that I have had that top it for the price. I think it deserves a good rating for it's unique qualities and original taste. It's a real good Lager.

CS1971, Jul 29, 2011
3.75/5  rDev +10%

Friends from PA brought this in for GOTV. Hey why not?

Poured into my cup. Decent color here. Thought this would be a typical regional flavorless lager. Maybe I am going to be wrong.

Aroma? Not a whole lot of hops. But some. Kind of a skunky thing going on. Green bottle?

Taste...good! Seriously, not bad. I guess it was a $8.99 12 pack. Can't complain!

Decent mouthfeel too. Kind of refreshing.

Hey say what you will, for the price this ain't bad. Went down good and just enough flavor to make it interesting. Nothing to write your friends about but really not a bad beer by any means.

beerdrinker4life, Jul 24, 2011
3.15/5  rDev -7.6%

Poured from 12oz. bottle into pint glass. Thank to my buddy's family for driving in from New Jersey with a case of this.

A: Pours a very clear amber with a 1 finger head that dissipates quickly leaving a slight splotchy film.

S: I'm picking up some corn, barley and metallic smells.

T: Same as the nose just a little more pronounced and more corn and barely.

M: Very crisp and refreshing with a very light body.

O: A traditional lager, but much better than your usual adjunct lager. I'm still trying to figure out why it's categorized as an amber/red lager.

Treebs, Jul 24, 2011
3.28/5  rDev -3.8%

Imported from my ratebeer.com profile - JUN 19, 2008

Light in color, golden amber I would say, with little to no head. Smells pretty bad to be honest just like most lagers. I can taste corn and maybe some hints of nuts in the brew, pretty metallic flavored and not much else going on, but it’s definitely better than most of the mainstream lagers. I only drink this when there is nothing better at hand, drinkable but I’d rather have something else.

kflorence, Jul 23, 2011
2.03/5  rDev -40.5%

Look: Two finger white soap bubbles head, light copper (about a 13 SRM), Lots of Carb, Pretty Good Lacing.

Smell: Sweet Malty, Light Floral. Nothing much there.

Taste: Sweet Malt, Floral, Straw, Grains. Light drinking. Nothing really great here.

Overall: I was hoping for a bit more then bud here. It's a little maltier version of budweiser.

bpw28, Jul 23, 2011
3.5/5  rDev +2.6%

As a Pennsylvania resident, I've been drinking Yuengling Lager as long as I've been drinking beer. I finally decided to review it though.

Pours a light burnt orange amber with a decent head. The smell and taste are dominated by a pervasive malty sweetness. The mouthfeel is medium with abundant carbonation.

What this beer lacks in style it makes for in substance. Lager is a great go to beer to have on hand. Tasty, drinkable and pure Pennsylvania. E very now and then, the lager craving hits and I just have to have it.

pburland23, Jul 23, 2011
2.7/5  rDev -20.8%

Pours a nice copper color, but I had to ding this beer for poor head retention. I find the smell to be quite off-putting. I get a tad of breadiness, but also something that just seems off. This is not an erudite description, but I get a minor puke-ish smell. That's the first thing that came to mind when I smelled it, so that's what's going in the review. I can't tell how old this beer is because I can't find a date on the bottle.

Fortunately, the taste does NOT follow the nose. It has grainy, corny taste I expected, with more hops than the Lord Chesterfield Ale I just drank and reviewed. It's pretty thin, but there's a little slickness at the end that makes it a little more interesting. Clean finish.

This is an OK, unpretentious offering. Decent for the price. Nothing great, but nothing horrible.

airforbes1, Jul 20, 2011
3.43/5  rDev +0.6%

For a beer that was on the shelf between the MGD and the Budweiser, I was pleasantly surprised.

A - Decent head, but definitely no lacing. Color was a clear amber, tinged with gold, as you might expect.

S - Hay, grain, and beer smell. Not sure how to be more clear about it. It's the smell I associated with beer when I was buy adjunct lagers illegally at the corner store when I was 17.

T - Clean, crisp, smooth. Citrusy notes, and some hop bitterness.

M - The carbonation is high, and it goes down smooth. Feels lager-y...

JNewbs, Jul 19, 2011
3.43/5  rDev +0.6%

Purchased a few weeks ago on a chicken shack outing with fsvan. Poured from a 24oz can into a perfect pint glass.

A: Pours an orangish gold color. Around the base of the perfect pint glass, the color is a good bit lighter and looks similar to light lager. An inch of white head receeeds pretty quickly into the beer leaving behind hardly any film or lacing.

S: Sweet caramel smelling malts. Maybe some toasted smells as well.

T: The sweet, toasted malts are there out in front and are balanced nicely by bittering hops. To be honest, I can't make anything of the hops other than the bittering effect.

M: For a smaller beer, this has a pretty full mouthfeel.

O: I like Yuengling Lager pretty well and is my beer of choice when at an establishment with no craft options. It also does a pretty good job of putting out the fire that is Prince's Hot Chicken.

titosupertramp, Jul 17, 2011
3.23/5  rDev -5.3%

Pours burnt orange to amber in color with a two finger cream colored head that faded pretty darn quick to a thin lace covering only the outer part of my glass.

The smell in malty and mellow. Clean, but not really crisp.

The taste is slightly sweet up front from the malts. Slick on the palate with a slight hop bitterness on the back end. Finishes smooth with little lingering flavor.

Light bodied mouthfeel that is headed towards medium. Fairly low carbonation which I don't really mind so much.

Not a bad lager overall. A refreshing sight at a BMC's BBQ thrown by lame family members and/or friends.

Morey's Bottom Line: A beer that my money won't be spent on unless I'm purchasing it for someone else. Not a bad summer beer though.

Morey, Jul 16, 2011
3.48/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Pours a light amber color with almost no head

S: Toasted grains, some slight fruitiness... not much else

T: Same as the smell. Actually decently flavorful for a lager. As it warms, a slight buttery flavor comes out as well

M: Light bodied with high carbonation. Fairly stereotypical lager feel

O: I usually don't like lagers all that much, but this is actually a good example of an amber lager. It has some nice flavors aside from watered down beer or lager yeast, and is pretty easy to drink

BEERMILER12, Jul 15, 2011
2.85/5  rDev -16.4%

When I first got into craft beer, this was the beer to get: Yuengling. Everyone seemed to know the brewery, and I had countless people telling me how someone they know “swears by it.” Funny thing is…nobody knew where to find any! I didn’t think too much of it, though; there’s more than enough great beer in my area to keep me more than satisfied. Then, out of nowhere, while driving home from Niagara Falls, I ran into a sixer of it. America’s Oldest Brewery, eh? Well, why not? I grabbed ‘em, and now I’ll be able to see what everyone was talking about.

Here's to historic American beer!

A: Alright, this one starts out a little mild when it comes to the carbonation. I felt like I almost had to work to get the head to materialize, pouring much more quickly by the end of the bottle. My efforts weren’t in vain, though, as a 1-2 finger white foam head emerges. However, that goodness is gone in seconds, without even leaving any lacing. The color is a dark brown amber, with a decent shine. A very average start.

S: This isn’t a nose that really jumps out at you. A slight fruity element up top; grape, mostly. The malts aren’t incredibly aromatic, blending in almost completely behind the fruits. Some wheaty hints still appear at times, though. Yeast is, you guessed it, weak, adding only the tiniest bit of breads to the back. Again, not a lot going on, but what’s there is pretty good.

T: Malts go first, bringing that sweet, apple/grape juice note that made up the majority of the nose. No bitter tastes really, but some breads show up throughout the drink. A hint of adjunct-style vegetable in the aftertaste, leaving this one with an unfortunate aftertaste. I really wish I could say this is palate is “small but mighty,” but I can’t. It’s just small.

M: Just like the appearance would have suggested: slightly thin and greasy. Feels like a macro-brew.

O: I love the story behind this beer: seriously, America’s oldest brewery? How can you not like that? But the quality of the brew just doesn’t cut it. Though this seems to be in the big brewery style, I would certainly drink this over a BMC any day. I know that’s not saying much, but it’s all I can really say for this one. It’s a pretty average beer.

BarryMFBurton, Jul 14, 2011
3.13/5  rDev -8.2%

Cannot belive I've never reviewed this one. Pretty sure you get kicked out of PA for disliking this beer. On draft at Cisco's in Flourtown. Poured into a small glass I still don't know the name of...

A - Pours a dark copper color with a nice, 1.5 finger eggshell-white head that slowly recedes. Slight lacing. Carbonation is very evident.

S - Nothing much here. Grains, sweet malts, breads. Pretty standard lager.

T - Sweet beer with malts and grain at the forefront. No hop presence detected. Some biscuit is detected along with a bit of caramel.

M - Lighter bodied with a nice medium carbonation that makes this one refreshing. Slightly watery feel on the tongue.

O - Because of the PA ties and the sentimental value this one has, it gets the score it does for this category. THE go to beer in PA and in my household.

KAP1356, Jul 11, 2011
2.65/5  rDev -22.3%

A: Pours a clear copper with three fingers of white head that recedes into a thin ring with little lacing.

S: Some caramel and crystal malts on the nose with a little orange citrus aroma from the hops. Fairly sweet smelling.

T: Very bland mixture of some biscuit flavors with a touch of crystal and caramel malt.

M: Light body with medium carbonation, this beer has a watery feel and lacks crispness. Still, it can be refreshing.

O: Overall, not a good beer by any means. However, it is refreshing and is better than anything by BMC.

n2185, Jul 10, 2011
2.73/5  rDev -19.9%

A~The beer pours an amber color, with an off-white head that dissipates after a few minutes, and leaves little to no lacing.

S~A clean, minimally "skunky" beer. Although I wouldn't call it skunky, because it isn't skunked. It smells clean, like a classic beer/lager, but with a hint of hop bitterness, and a sweetness to it.

T~There's a sweetness, a graininess, and a darker, amber taste to it. It's carbonated, with a slightly watery consistency. There is a malt presence to it, but it comes more present from a bottle than a a can.

Overall, it's an okay beer. It's not my favorite, but it isn't bad. Personally, I would give it a lower rating. But because of the quality it presents for being the price it is, it's not a bad beer. When it comes to macro lagers, I prefer Coors Light or Coors, Pabst Blue Ribbon, and then Natural Ice, in that order. I'm not opposed to darker beers at all. In fact, I prefer mostly dark beers. However, I'm just not a real big fan of Yuengling Original Lager anymore. I used to be, but for whatever reason things have changed. Cheers.

JoLight, Jul 10, 2011
3.4/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

This one's a staple of my past. Drank it what seems like thousands of times over and over again. First time I was offered one of these back in college I thought it was some sort of Chinese beer. Boy was I wrong. Have visited the brewery twice and can always fall back on this one. Affordable for its quality, this one is a solid macro.

Pours a dark copper with large white head that eventually fades. Some suds clasp on the glass. Carbonation okay.

Smell isn't all that great. It's mostly a husky, grainy quality. Not great, but not too offensive.

Tastes a little sweet. Mostly grains with a little kiss of crystal malts. No real hop qualities to report about.

Mouthfeel is light and slightly bitter at the end. This one's a thirst quencher but really can make do for any occasion. If I'm stuck for choices, I can fall back on this one with no question. Here in PA, this one defines "lager". Seriously, you can walk into any beer, say "lager", and the bartender will pull you one of these daddys.

jwhancher, Jul 09, 2011
2.25/5  rDev -34%

Had this on tap at a party yesterday (July 4th). I’m all too familiar with Yuengling and their Traditional Lager since they are considered a regional brewery in my area. Never really took the time to officially review it until now.

Look: A deep and fairly clear amber color. Foamy two finger off-white head. It’s a great looking lager. I would compare the head consistency to a Sam Adams Boston Lager but a little lighter in color and with tighter bubbles. No detectable lacing.

Smell: I noticed a beadyness to the aroma along with a ‘new-car’ vinyl smell. Also some adjunct in there (possibly corn??). Let’s face it – most offerings from Yuengling never seem to be award winners in the nose category.

Taste: Crisp biscuit in front; faded to a dry obnoxious metallic. I also got the annoying corn detected in the nose. The finish and aftertaste reminded me of what you would have after vomiting. It completely dried out my mouth, but there were absolutely no hops or alcohol present in the palate (weird).

Ok, this is certainly a beer to consider when throwing a party on the cheap. I believe the Yuengling organization is extremely frugal, and it certainly shows in the quality and price of this beer. I would maybe place the Traditional Lager just slightly above a BMC. As far as I’m concerned, the only quality that sets this beer apart from other mass produced beer would be the color – and the fact that Yuengling claims it's the oldest brewery in America.

CraftBeerTastic, Jul 05, 2011
3.7/5  rDev +8.5%

having one post Disney...

A ~ amber. Light in color and depth. Thin retention on a quick head.

S ~ Light on everything. HINTS of bread...sweeter malts... mixture of grains.. Not sure, not a beer I'd make a candle aroma out of...

T ~ Clean, clear, crisp tasting amber. A tad sweet. Malty w/ a bite of breadiness. Caramel?

M ~ Smooth and somewhat cream, with a quick bite of carbonation..

O ~ a decent "everyday" beer, table beer, pool beer, or pop a 12 pack in the cooler to go fishing beer... While it is not spectacular, it is economical w/ flavor :)

vande, Jul 05, 2011

My go to beer when surrounded by crap BMC.

A - Pretty straight forward amber, very clear and light with a half inch of foamy white head. Not very sticky with lacing but it's forgivable.

S - Slight toasted malts, breadyness, and a bit of toffee or caramel. No real pronounced hop profile

T - Very light bitterness if any. The taste is pretty basic just slight bready malts with a bit of toasty goodness and a finish of mildly sweet caramel or toffee. Has a slight bitter finish that might be from the grains.

M - Light to medium, picture perfect succession beer.

Overall this one is bold enough to be known as the original traditional lager and I have to agree when it comes down to this or a beer that scores lower than a C (looking at you BMC) it's a no brainier to order one. My only gripe is the case price went up by 3.00 (currently set at 21.50)

Seek out and try if your looking for a smooth tasting moderately flavored beer that's easy on the palate and just as easy on the wallet.

DrDemento456, Jul 02, 2011
3.23/5  rDev -5.3%

A- Pours a cidery golden amber with a half inch white head which quickly recedes to nothing. Small carbonation bubbles throughout.

S- Traditional lager malt sweetness with a bit of bread dough and a bit of pine.

T- Light and refreshing. Light caramel and malt sweetness with some more of the dough from the aroma. Subdued corn syrup and skunk on the back end with no hop flavor to note.

M- Thin and watery with a moderate carbonation. It's an easy drinker but doesn't feel too exciting.

D- Easy to drink and with no overly offending off characters this beer is a passable everyday beer. There is nothing too exciting here but for a simple cheap lager it does the trick.

Guden, Jun 30, 2011
3.33/5  rDev -2.3%

A: Clear, amber with a white head, about a single finger head

S: Bready and grainy smell

T: Sweet and caramel notes. Smooth.

M: This is where I have to knock the beer. I am not sure where "aftertaste" falls but this beers aftertaste is particularly offensive to my personal palate. That being said, I drink it faster because each sip temporarily relieves the problem. Medium body.

O: This beer is a party pleaser as it is inexpensive to purchase and many people like it. I find I order it often when meeting places that serve Miller/Bud products and Yuengling, which seems to be a lot of places.

kylehay2004, Jun 30, 2011
3.8/5  rDev +11.4%

Have had it several times but most recently at my brothers wedding reception @ Mallards Marsh Resturant in the Outer Banks.

Had it in a bottle very cold from the bar.

The biggest thing to me is the taste of a beer, and its drinkability, and this beer does not dissapoint. Very drinkable and a great taste, the smell is good, and this beer goes with alot of activities.

If you havent had this before then your missing out.

hdf561, Jun 29, 2011
3.43/5  rDev +0.6%

Thanks (i guess) phaleslu for this can. Never had it in the can before.

A - orangey/amber body, with a very quick to disappear tan head made of very large bubbles.

S - roasted malts, nutty, mild sweetness (apples?)

T - crisp, a bit of sweetness, malty. Light, kind of dull.

M - medium bodied, smooth.

O (D) - I dont really like it, but its not that bad.

ColdPoncho, Jun 29, 2011
4.33/5  rDev +27%

I usually cannot get this beer in Texas but my sister brought me some when she visited this time. I have had it numerous times during my travels for work though. I think part of the allure for me is that I cannot get this all the time. When people ask me about it, I have trouble telling them why I like it so much. To me there is nothing above and beyond about this beer. That being said I really do like it though. I think it is a great everyday drinkable beer. Sometimes I want something with more hops, other times more malt, but this is one that no matter what I could sit back and enjoy in a bottle or on tap with friends and good conversation. If you have not tried it do not expect to be blown away intricate tastes and aromas, but do expect it to be a great taste and an extremely easy drink.

acidmojojojo, Jun 23, 2011