Yuengling Traditional Lager - Yuengling Brewery

Yuengling Brewery visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

American Amber / Red Lager |  4.40% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-28-2001

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 5,535 | Reviews: 1,611
2.99/5  rDev -12.1%

A: Pours a rusty golden color with a thick, creamy head that dissipates quickly.
S: Nothing amazing...some sweet malts in the background.
T: Light taste of hops, somewhat citrusy, and pretty balanced overall. Very crisp and refreshing.
M: Very bubbly but nothing I wouldn't expect from this type of beer.
O: Yuengling is definitely a refreshing beer but other than that does not really stand out in any one category. It hints at some hoppiness but otherwise not too interesting...Usually a decent choice if you want a more straight-forward beer.

3.33/5  rDev -2.1%

I usually drink this one straight out of the bottle, but I did pour one to see the color, and any taste difference.

A: Looks like diluted sweet tea, with an off white head. The head lasted for a few minutes, not bad. As the head receded, it left behind a snail trail of lace.

S: A sweet citrus smell, mixed with old grass, like a field of daises that hasn't been cut in a while. For some reason it reminded me of when I was a kid in Vermont, playing in the endless fields of tall grass. I wish I could give it bonus points for summoning memories like that...

T: Average. I taste hops, I get a hint of Cascade hops, but then a sweetness from malt barley overtakes the palate. Then there is a fruity flavor that comes through, though not sure what to make of it; It may just be some sweetness I taste after the bitterness of the hops. It seems to comes through after the carbonation dies down a little. Not great, but very drinkable, due mainly to the fact that nothing in this beer is strong, or really stands out.

M: Too much carbonation right away, but it settles down after a few minutes of sitting in the glass. The taste is covered up a little by the carbonation, but once is disappears, the taste comes out. It becomes almost creamy in the mouth, but still has a bite to it. I would prefer it to be a little smoother, but that is my preference.

O: Not a bad beer. Much better than the BMC's, that's for sure. This is a beer that can be had alone, with a meal, with soft cheese, etc...it is very versatile, again, probably because it is not very strong, and the flavors are kind of generic. This is a good quality though, not a bad one. If you are used to big beers, or IPAs etc...you will find this one on the weaker side. A nice break from my normal routine of Belgians and IPAs.

3.3/5  rDev -2.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Grabbed a 12 of these bad boys on a recent trip across the border. The USA's oldest brewery and a staple in the north-eastern states, Yueling brews a decent beer and one that, in my opinion, epitomizes the US of American lager.

A - Poured into pilsner pint glass, a nice, vibrant caramel colour. A semi-vigorous pour yields less than a finger of head that disappears faster than you can say boo. No lacing, what so ever.

S - Mostly malts and grass, a noticeable floral hoppiness, more so as it warms. I don't know why, but it smells very US of American.

T - Very grassy, a little sour. A subtle hint of caramel. pretty dry on the finish.

M - I would call this beer overly carbonated, but it's certainly not worse than most other macros.

The bottom line is that one of these is an enjoyable brew for a change. However, after a couple I feel like I'm drinking juiced freshly mowed lawn clippings... I'd probably get a kick out of it while mowing my lawn next year, but I think I'll avoid it for the remainder of the winter months!

Cheers to beers

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Yuengling Traditional Lager from Yuengling Brewery