Yuengling Traditional Lager - Yuengling Brewery

good

Yuengling Brewery visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

American Amber / Red Lager |  4.40% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-28-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Yuengling Traditional Lager Alström Bros
3.65/5  rDev +7%

I feel bad for those who live in places where Yuengling is not distributed. The only other good cheap American beer option I can think of is PBR, and that isn't always available either.

A – Amber, very effervescent, no lasting head or lace. The bubbles never stop.

S – Grain and alcohol and a suggestion of a German-inspired malt. More importantly, for this style, nothing smells bad or cheap.

T – Nice taste, fairly nondescript. Again, for the style, the absence of any foul or cheap flavor represents an achievement for a macro-adjunct lager.

M – Endless carbonation, refreshing with a relatively dry finish, given the corn sweetness.

D – The best of a bad style. Cheap, very drinkable, tastes good; a winner.

ktrillionaire, Feb 02, 2010
3.63/5  rDev +6.5%

Served into a 12oz. pilsner glass:

Appearance: Beer is crystal clear and amber in color with a good deal of noticeable active carbonation and a 1-finger head of off-white foam that quickly recedes to a decent sized cap. Nice retention and some fine, soapy lacing that clings to the glass.

Smell: Typical lager yeastiness up front, followed by a crisp, slightly sour mustiness. A grassy, maltiness comes through in the nose as the beer warms. That said, there is a hint of what could possibly become the "morning-after-frat-party" staleness that many of us can probably fondly recall.

Taste/Mouthfeel: A crisp, herbal hopiness perfectly balanced by a slightly toasted, grainy malt base. A light-to-medium bodied beer with a tight, tingly carbonation. Mouthfeel is smooth and slick, with a sweetness that builds on the palate and trends towards cloying, but not necessarily in a bad way. Finish is short, sweet and malty.

Drinkability/Overall Impression: High. How do I know? I've had a ton of this in my day. It was one of the two beers that I drank regularly after I weaned myself off college beer and before I discovered craft beer. There's a lot of flavor compared to just about any macro offering, and I personally think it stacks up quite well against some of the better Amber lagers out there, as well (though I'll be the first to admit that my judgment might be clouded by geography and nostalgia). Simple, sturdy and tasty...everyone should be fortunate enough to have a beer like this available to "switch things up" a bit from our typical high-gravity, palate-crushing fare when such a beer is called for and one would prefer not to support worldwide, mass-producing brewing conglomerates.

Phillyduke, Feb 02, 2010
3.5/5  rDev +2.6%

a: This was a clear golden amber color. It was served to me with a half inch fizzy cap.

s: Mild overall, I found a trace of sweet bread and a little something flowery.

t: Clean and lightly sweet. Bland but not bad.

m: Crisp and fizzy.

d: First I've had in many years, I liked it more than I thought I would.

DIM, Jan 29, 2010
3.43/5  rDev +0.6%

A highly drinkable amber - light in abv, relatively light in flavor -
Some biscuit flavors, slight dry finish and grass flavor, and very subtle hop presence.

Found myself making the choice to get a six pack of this while in WV where the pickings are slightly slim. This is a good brew for a 4.4 abv - and relatively enjoyable overall . I would say this one is a go to if your choices are limited. Highly recommended over some of the other low abv readily available ABC brews available.

alpinebryant, Jan 28, 2010
2.9/5  rDev -15%

12 oz. can, needed to get one after my first Yuengling came in a green bottle and was quite skunked. Why green bottles, Yuengling, why? Pours a honeylike orange gold color with about an inch of cream colored medium viscosity head. Fair retention and poor lace. The aroma has a bit of a citrus/fruit note to it, but the same note has a bit of a cereal adjunct twang. Some biscuit malt to go along with it. The flavor has some straw and citrus hopping to it, not much malt evident, however there is a bit of cereal on the finish. This may be light amber in color, but it is also light on the flavor. Needs some quality malts in it. Body is medium and it is overly fizzy.

Compared to an adjunct lager, this is pretty choice. Compared to a craft brewed amber lager, this is the bottom of the barrel and my score reflects the latter.

vacax, Jan 27, 2010
3.18/5  rDev -6.7%

12 oz bottle into a pint glass.

Pours a clear copper with about 2 fingers of eggshell-white head. Retains with a thin, smooth, look that leaves some minimal lacing behind. I thought that there would be a bit more here based on how this retained. This is grainy and grassy in the aroma and that pretty much sums it up. Maybe a touch of sweetness, which gives this a very light sticky feel in the nose.

The taste has some lightly toasted graininess to it, as well as some moderate bitterness that leaves a light dryness in it's wake. There is enough there to at least make you wish that this would give up some more flavor but it never does. At least it doesn't tate like lightly flavored water. The mouthfeel is lighter bodied with a fairly clean and crisp air about it. This goes down easy enough.

Not the best but not the worst either by a long shot. If I was in the mood for something smooth, cold, and refreshing I'd take this over a large majority of the other BMC selections out there any day.

Kegatron, Jan 26, 2010
2.4/5  rDev -29.6%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a Pilsner Urquell pilsner glass.

Appearance: Pours a translucent amber color with lots of carbonation bubbles. Has a large, foamy, white head that dissipates quickly and leaves copious lacing.

Smell: Has a sweet malty smell with a lot of graininess in the background.

Taste: Starts slightly bitter and finishes with notes of sweet malts. Has a weird metallic taste and the end which lingers in the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Thin-bodied with too much carbonation.

Drinkability: A decent macro-brew. Certainly nothing special but, for the price, it's one of the best macro-brews you can get.

wahhmaster, Jan 22, 2010
3.45/5  rDev +1.2%

Aroma - A sweet corn backbone with at least a noticeable level of hops.

Appearance - Pours a slight amber golden yellow with a big off-white head. A dozen or so trickles of carbonation follow the pour. The head dissipates to a collar leaving some scattered lacing on the glass.

Taste - Not a ton of flavor but well balanced. Really neither sweet nor bitter. The finish was slightly dry.

Notes - Decent carbonation along with a balanced mouthfeel. All that and being very drinkable make this beer a winner.

jwhawkins81, Jan 22, 2010
3.03/5  rDev -11.1%

A: Light copper color with big pillowy head that faded quickly.

S: Grainy aroma with slight hint of carmel malt. Very faint.

T: Grainy macro flavor with a bit more malt character. Some bread and carmel, which adds some sweetness to the brew.

M: Light bodied, with moderate carbonation.

D: Somewhat bland, but still pretty tasty for a macro. Much better than your typical BMC. I can't get this is CT, but certainly enjoy a few Yuenglings when I have a chance.

JMD, Jan 19, 2010
3.73/5  rDev +9.4%

Old notes-on tap at a basement bar whose name I have forgotten in Baltimore.

A - Clear amber with a slight off-white head reducing quickly to thin ring.

S - Light malt and hop aroma with some "green" character.

T - Very crisp with decent hop bitterness, citrus, sweet grain, and light malts.

M - Light bodied with a moderate mouthfeel. Semi-dry clean finish.

D - Nothing special, but pretty good on the scale of traditional American lagers.

JTahoe, Jan 18, 2010

12oz bottle. Pours amber with a small white head. I can already tell from the appearance that this isn't your typical macro fizzy yellow pale lager.

Aroma features some sweet caramel malt and a bit of grassy hops.

Flavor follows suit with caramel malt and grassy hops, some corn in there too.

Mouthfeel is thin and quite carbonated, typical for the style.

While the flavor & aroma aren't particularly strong, they are more pronounced than any BMC offerings. Very refreshing. I also prefer this to their Black & Tan. Not bad at all for <$6/6-pack

elgiacomo, Jan 17, 2010
3.93/5  rDev +15.2%

Reviewed from my notes. Served in a pilsner glass. It is light copper in color with a head made of white bubbles. There is lots of carbonation rising in the glass. The aroma is full of floral and bitter hops with a bit of earthy yeast. All I wrote about the taste is sweet malt & fruity hops, but I gave it a 4 rating, so I must have liked it. It has a medium body and lots of carbonation. I find this beer to be very drinkable, although the high carbonation levels may be a limiting factor.

ToasterChef, Jan 15, 2010
4.22/5  rDev +23.8%

My wife brought this back from PA. I can see why people seek it out.

A: Darker than I expected, by a lot, but the huge head, which is sandy colored, was as I expected. Beer is deep, clear amber-gold. Good active carbonation.

S: Slightly sweet, and even yes, a hint of hops, slightly floral (East Kent?) But full of malt, maybe corn?

T: Again, a little sweet but much more complex than a standard "lager". Some hops, though mild, are there. It's very well balanced and clean for being so light.

M: Light, smooth. So smooth, it's almost creamy, but too light to use that word.

D: Quite Quaffable.

mdwalsh, Jan 14, 2010
3.38/5  rDev -0.9%

A: I will try to hold back allegiances to this brewery for this one. A bit thin and coppery. Head is thin as well, nothing impressive going on here. I suppose pouring into a Duvel tulip makes everything look better.

S: Smell is a bit sweet, a bit adjunct. Noticing some burnt sugar with a sweet malt aroma. Certainly smells better than commercial lagers.

T: Taste is very grainy and sweet. Lacking some hops to bitter the sweet, sort of slides down the tongue on a sugar slick.

M: Super thin, only thing saving this beer is the carbonation.

D: Again, hometown brew...perfect drinkability. Just light enough to be a session lager.

kiddynamite920, Jan 14, 2010
3.43/5  rDev +0.6%

A- Copper color, tall white fluffy head

S- A nice wheaty smell, like warm bread

T- Grassy hops and bready malts, taste follows the smell but better

M- Somewhat carbonated, medium body, pretty good consistency

D- Pretty good macro, very drinkable, you could easily go through a good amount of these

mtyrrell, Jan 13, 2010
3.38/5  rDev -0.9%

A: Pours a light brown/copper color with minimal head and lacing. Nothing special.

S: Slightly sweet malts and earthy grains. Better than most American macros, but again, nothing special.

T/M: Pretty crisp and clean. A decent amount of sweet malt flavor, a little caramel, and perhaps just a touch of hops in the finish. It has a pretty light body that is leaning just a little to medium. The bottle I had was over-carbonated I thought, giving it a little too much of a bite on the finish.

D: A pretty easy drinking beer whose quality boarders between a macro and a micro. Could definitely session a bunch of these and I'll drink a few on occasion when the only alternative is American Adjuncts.

MrDanno96, Jan 13, 2010
3.55/5  rDev +4.1%

A - Pale copper, clear, about two fingers of foamy bone-white head.

S - Nice malty aroma, slightly metallic and earthy with a hint of noble hops.

T/M - Medium-light body, smooth, light malt sweetness with lingering bitterness and a nice finish.

Definitely drinkable, and at 4.4% good for a session.

aeminter, Jan 12, 2010
2.95/5  rDev -13.5%

I went out to a bar in Raleigh. They were out of a local beer, so I went with this. Very little smell--but then again, I was in a bar. My first thought was: Hm, crisp.

This beer made a good first impression but then seemed to fade away quickly. The head evaporated. The beer went flat. In short, this beer, if you like crisp-ish lagers with a citrus background, is probably for you. But it is not for me. It was a little sweet or yellow-beer tasting. Overall, I was disappointed with quality since I am a fan of Yuengling's Black and Tan. I was expecting something softer and more complex.

gruberbeer, Jan 10, 2010
3.5/5  rDev +2.6%

I poured into a pint glass to an inch of white head that quickly disappeared. It is golden in color and clear. It doesn't have the macro sweet smell going on. It is actually better than I expected. It is very easy drinking and a good example of the style.

Cheers!

buschbeer, Jan 10, 2010
3.35/5  rDev -1.8%

A - Pours a clear, dark amber color with a thin, two-fingered white head that leaves some good lacing

S - Not a lot of hops in the nose, but smells almost like bread

T - There's not really anything that jumps out in the taste, but it is well balanced and there is nothing in it to turn me off. Not a lot of aftertaste at all

M - Medium to light bodied, smooth, with a decent amount of carbonation

D - Something that I believe I could drink over and over again, although this is my first time consuming it.

Overall, a good beer that is fairly unique in flavor, scent and feel. Definitely a brew I will have to try again

zimm421, Jan 10, 2010
3.58/5  rDev +5%

Ahhh...Yuengling. Nothing reminds me more of college than a bar advertising "Yuengs and Wings".

A: Beautiful amber colored lager with a 1-finger white head upon initial pour..The head fades quickly to a miniscule lace ring.

S: Metallic, alcohol-like..unimpressive

T: Again, metallic, slight citrus(especially in the aftertaste)Minimal hop bitterness.

M: This has a very tight carbonation, almost creamy. Quite enjoyable.

D: I could drink about a million of these, and have tried several times during college. A great beer for slugging down some wings or a burger, or just to enjoy on a hot summer day. Cheers!

pharmer, Jan 08, 2010
4.35/5  rDev +27.6%

Appearance
Golden orange---the best color on a lager of this style; looks like a pale ale

Smell
Lemons and grass jump out

Taste & Body
Really smooth malt flavor finishing with a nice hop snap; finishes light and clean, making for a sessionable beer; no harsh adjuncts commonly found in this style; slight ale-like fruitiness in finish

Drinkability
Great beer for all kinds of situations. And it comes in cans!

JEdmund, Jan 04, 2010
3.15/5  rDev -7.6%

Reviewed from notes. Originally consumed 12/25.

A-Pours a nice amber color with a white, one finger head.

S-Sweet grain, corn and floral hops.

T-Again, sweet grain, corn, and a slightly bitter hop finish.

M-Light bodied with medium carbonation.

D-Goes down pretty easy. I remember it being quite a bit better and the corn was not as dominant in my memory. I guess my palate has developed. This is still a nice, cheap everyday drinker.

samie85, Jan 02, 2010
4.63/5  rDev +35.8%

There is a reason this beer is found on tap in every bar in eastern PA and possibly the whole state. This is my go-to beer for every Friday happy hour despite living in a region fairly rich in brewpubs.

Incredibly balanced and smooth drinking.

In my opinion, the best quality of this beer is the finish. Toasted and dry, making you crave the next gulp!

Just ask for a lager. Everyone in PA knows what you want. If you need to clarify, it is pronounced YING-LING.

koolex11, Jan 01, 2010
3.63/5  rDev +6.5%

Appearance: Amber-gold colored brew with a nice frothy golden-white head. Decent carbonation flow.

Smell: Caramel malt with a hint of smoke and underlying hops.

Taste: Simple, slightly smoky malt flavor with a crisp finish. Brilliantly understated.

Mouthfeel: Light-medium body. Slightly dry finish.

Drinkablity: Tasty and accessible brew. A very good regional brew.

SargeC, Jan 01, 2010