Yuengling Traditional Lager - Yuengling Brewery

good

Yuengling Brewery visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

American Amber / Red Lager |  4.40% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-28-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Yuengling Traditional Lager Alström Bros
jdg204

3.63/5  rDev +6.5%

My first beer love finally reviewed (I actually thought I had done this a while ago). I'm an Eastern PA guy and this is the Eastern PA tradition, so no surprise I'm a huge fan.

A: Pours a dark amber color with a modest head that dissipates quickly.

S: Nice hoppy, grainy aroma that tells the story of the quality that's built in.

T: Nice crispy, robust, smooth lager taste. Good hoppy flavor with a nice malty base, high quality.

M: Medium body, moderately carbonated and slightly crisp.

D: A high quality brew steeped in deep tradition, a legend in my home area. I'm probably a bit biased as it's my first beer love, but who cares, if these rankings aren't about passion what else are they based upon? This is a must try for all beer lovers, one of the original greats!

07-28-2009 01:50:19 | More by jdg204
BirdFlu

I don't really see what so many people seem to enjoy about Yuengling so much.. It seems to be a beer where it's typical drinkers realize that Bud and Coors are garbage, but they aren't really in the know about any good craft breweries.. While it certainly does deserve respect above bud and coors and such, I don't find it to be THAT much better really.. its quite bland overall with little to enjoy. Sure, it doesn't just taste like corn adjunt, but theres not much malt or hop to the flavor, either. I suppose its the type of thing people want to have a party where you can drink a lot of it and there is still not too much flavor.. There are certainly better options out there and I find it hard to believe anyone could prefer this beer over any other. but again, it is still better than being stuck with BMC, I guess.

07-27-2009 15:19:36 | More by BirdFlu
dasmith52

Vermont

4.13/5  rDev +21.1%

A: The color is slightly dark golden brown and has a big head that lasts for a while.

S: Mostly hops with a bit of corn or a meal smell.

T: A very nice smooth with some sweat hints that fade to a bitter hops. Overall not too strong, but very nice.

M: Smooth yet crisp. Not to thick, maybe on the thin side??

D: This is one of my all time favorites. Perfect paired with food and can consumed in quantity. Very nice and is good every season.

07-25-2009 20:35:13 | More by dasmith52
DoctorDog

3.38/5  rDev -0.9%

Presentation: 12 oz bottle into a nonic glass. A PA "import" brought across the border to me by my pops...

A- Light copper and clear. Pours with 1+ fingers of off white head, which fades very into a very thin, sporadic cap. Spotty lacing.

S- Fairly grainy with a bit of corn. Nothing to get excited about, but subdued enough to avoid being a major detraction.

T- Grainy with hints of sweet malts and fruit, and slightly zesty. Bitterness is mild. Nothing earth shaking going on, but it is pleasant enough.

M- Crisp on the front, with moderately high carbonation. Medium-light feel. Goes down smoothly.

D- Good. Would make a solid session brew.

Future outlook: Decent, unadventurous beer that delivers on being a nicely sessionable beer. A PA beer that doesn't get distributed here, so I don't envision buying....though my father often has it, so I will gladly have it again.

07-22-2009 02:36:03 | More by DoctorDog
njmoons

3.93/5  rDev +15.2%

OK Beer entusiasts, sometimes you just need a light bodied beer to pass the time (sometimes it is all that is availble). I can think of few American lagers that are as good as Yuengling.

Yeh I know it has rice (and the light body to show for it), and the color seems inconsistent with the flavor and body.

However given the above there is certainly more flavor and balance here than it's competitors. So if I rate it for what it is trying to be, I rate it pretty good.

I like to think of it this way. I am at the ball game and I get a choice of Bud, Coors, Miller, or Yuengling. There is no competition I go with Yuengling every time.

07-21-2009 01:35:35 | More by njmoons
soupyman10

District of Columbia

3.45/5  rDev +1.2%

Obviously this is one that splits the obvious -you've got some serious Yuengling devotees out there. Overall, I think it's a solid lager, substantially better than BMC, but not even close to the quality of a craft ale (or even lager, for that matter). Pour is fine - amber color with a ton of busy bubbles seen through the crystal clear beer. Small slighty off-white head that dissolves quickly. Nose is grainy malt - some sweet corn in there. Nothing much else going on. Flavor is similar. Corny water in the back of the mouth, then stronger dirty candy malt with that graininess still. A little waterier than I'd expect. Gotta rank it high, cause I do seem to drink a lot of these, although I'd prefer literally any craft. Nonetheless, it is what it is (half the price of the cheapest craft at most places in DC).

07-21-2009 01:05:51 | More by soupyman10
aaronxsubaru

2.73/5  rDev -19.9%

I really wanted to like this beer since alot of people i know really like it. Honestly for some reason it reminds me of like a rich mans PBR. Its not a horrible beer, it just isn't very good, and not nearly as good as all the macro drinkers make it sound. the taste did remind me of PBR some. i don't think i'll drink this again unless its free.

07-19-2009 19:37:41 | More by aaronxsubaru
philipquarles

Connecticut

2.33/5  rDev -31.7%

Pours clear amber with a fizzy white head that dissipates quickly but leaves nice lacing. Smells of faint amber malt and that strange, typical adjunct taste, without much else to report. The taste is somehow even more characterless and underwhelming. Feel is light and fizzy. Not offensive, just worthless.

07-17-2009 21:11:52 | More by philipquarles
lweaver18240

4.1/5  rDev +20.2%

In the Pennsylvania coal region, this is the beer of all beers. You'll hear people ordering " a lager", and there is never any confusion. You'll find this in every single bar, disributor, and pizza shop around here.

I've enjoyed this many times since the age of 13 (normal drinking age around here), most recenly in a can. I do prefer this brew on tap however.

A- Copper-like red. When poured there is 2-3 cm of whie head wih fair retenion.

S-Smell is relaively mild, roased and malty.

T- Taste is mild as well, but this beer tastes very good. Nohing complicated, just grains and malt with a roasted flavor. You can actually taste the hops which is very nice.

M-On tap this is very smooth and creamy, less so in the can or bottle. Light carbonation. We say that in the coal region beer is like water, and this is usually the one that comes to mind. The other night I showed up an hour before last call, had 5 pints, and left wanting more of the same.

07-13-2009 06:07:16 | More by lweaver18240
boatshoes

2.8/5  rDev -17.9%

What can I say, having gone to college in Pennsylvania, this was pretty much the beer. We could get it for $15.98 per case, and if we were feeling like high rollers, we could always splurge and get the black and tan case for $18.98. Simply a deal when compared to BMC macros. That being said, perhaps because of my experiences drinking this beer, I'm not overly in love with it...

Appearance-Pours a not unpleasant shade of amber brown into my pint glass (a novelty, I'm used to drinking this one out of the bottle/can/Solo cup). Translucent but with a decent one finger head that dies out fairly quickly and fades to a minimal ring around the edge of the beer. Lacing almost non-existent with this one as I drink as well.

Smell-Not a whole lot going on here for me. Certainly more smell than macro, primarily being centered on malt with a strong graininess coming through. Also getting a whiff of something that smells a bit like corn in this one as well, an aroma that gets stronger as the beer warms

Taste-Again, given the price point of this beer, I can't help but compare it to many of the other macros I've had. In comparison, this beer does pretty well, but on a stand along basis, the taste doesn't overly do it for me. This beer has flavor, again primarily a strong graininess that comes through with a perhaps faint touch of hops in the back. The corn smell that was there is also present in the taste and this sort of adjunct flavor gets stronger as the beer warms up. As it gets warmer, an unpleasant slightly metallic afterbite also begins to come through as well. I'd suggest taking this one cold, as my fondness for the beer only decreased as the temperature increased.

Drinkability/Mouthfeel-This beer is fairly highly carbonated with a thin mouthfeel. At best, only slightly heavier than BMC products, but it does make it fairly easy to drink. The only thing that cuts back for me on the drinkability here is the corn/metallic aftertaste that I pick up in the beer, especially as it gets warm. All in all though, much easier to put back a lot of these than other beers at a similar price point.

Overall, if this beer is readily accessible and cheap in your region, certainly superior to most comparable beers. Would I go out of my way to get it however? Probably not.

07-12-2009 15:13:22 | More by boatshoes
HURTemHIZZY

3.53/5  rDev +3.5%

Can't believe this is the same price as bud. Not gonna blow anyone away, but this beer is pretty cheap and has some nice flavor. It looks very nice, with a pretty dark amber color and a nice head that leaves decent lacing. The smell is pretty average, nothing to write home about. The flavor is better than the smell, with a nice balance of malts and hops. It's not too heavy, but doesn't feel watered down at all.

This is a great beer for the price.

07-05-2009 17:21:25 | More by HURTemHIZZY
Tilley4

Tennessee

3.4/5  rDev -0.3%

Grabbed a bomber of this on the way home from work today... I've always wanted to try it but just never picked it up..

Well, its a little darker than I was expecting... Nice little amber color with a pretty fluffy head.. Looks good in the glass...

Rather non descript aroma.. Some noble hops with a malty base.. Pretty basic stuff..

Well, its better than the aroma would imply.. Tastier than most lagers... Maltiness balanced with the hops.. Not earth shattering but a nice easy session lager

07-02-2009 22:06:47 | More by Tilley4
rdub

3.2/5  rDev -6.2%

Here in Central PA, we order these just by saying "lager". The bartender knows. Slight reddish tint from the can into my pint glass. Smelled of grain but not of the nasty corn in other macros. Taste was best described as basic. Mouthfeel is average. Drinkability is high due to the smoothness and tight carbonation. A good go-to for picnics and barbecues.

06-30-2009 22:16:21 | More by rdub
champ103

3.65/5  rDev +7%

A: Pours a clear red color. At first a one finger white head forms, but recedes in an instant. Very little lace is left behind.
S: Sweet caramel, cereal, bread, and a slight citrus aroma. A light skunky metallic twang as well.
T: Very simple, but enjoyable. A heavy malty caramel sweetness. Lightly toasted. A very light hop leaf flavor in the finish, and a light metal flavor.
M/D: A light to medium body. A clean snap of carbonation that is just right. Not overly carbonated at all. A good creaminess as well. Easy and smooth to drink. A great session beer.

This is one of my favorite lighter beers during the summer. I always get some when I travel east. Something I would recommend.

06-26-2009 16:17:21 | More by champ103
zeff80

Missouri

3.35/5  rDev -1.8%

A - Poured out a clear, copper color with hints of gold. It had a solid, one-finger head of white foam that left a little lace.

S - It smelled of grains and caramel. A tad bit of a skunk aroma, not as bad as most imports in green bottles but some stank was present.

T - It tasted of sweet caramel and roasted malts. A mild grassiness is present, too.

M - It was crisp and very sharp. A light bodied lager with a dry finish.

D - This is okay. I tried it back to back with Stegmaier Amber Lager and would have to give the edge to Stegmaier.

06-23-2009 23:38:32 | More by zeff80
tone77

3.58/5  rDev +5%

Poured from a 12 oz. can. Has a rich amber color with a 1 inch head. Smell is very malty, slightly sweet. Taste is of malts, a bit sweet and lightly hopped, pretty tasty. Feels light in the mouth and has good drinkability. Overall this is a good quality beer.

06-23-2009 23:29:54 | More by tone77
GweedoeBRew

2.15/5  rDev -37%

Ok... so I know that Dick Yuengling and family have keep this treasure of a brewery going for a long long long long time... and never been acquired or grow to the point of being swallowed by "the big dogs" (ie Rolling Rock)....

BUT.... I don't get it... I have never been a huge fan of this beer... I guess that I am happy that my BMC friends drink this now... just cause their money is going a small brewery and not one of those Micro-eating conglomerates!

06-18-2009 04:35:34 | More by GweedoeBRew
greengorilla

3.85/5  rDev +12.9%

I poured this beer from a 12 ounce bottle into a pint glass.

The beer is amber in color with minimal thin white head. The head dissipated quickly with minimal lacing.

The smells and tastes good with smooth citris taste and minimal hop taste.

It is very drinkable and tastes good on a hot day.

06-12-2009 15:27:17 | More by greengorilla
tj4288

4.33/5  rDev +27%

poured from ice cold can into pilsner glass.

a- first of all i love the design on the can, the beer; clear bright, shiny copper/amber. one finger head disapears quickly leaving minimal lacing. looks to be faily low carbonation but definately not a dull beer.

s- very malty (as an amber should be) tiny hop notes. smells very sweet, earthy, caramel. very clean and light smelling.

t- very very sweet, some malt, not much hops, almost no bitterness. just a nice sugary sweetness, and malts. not very complex.

m- light/medium body, slightly watery, med/low carbonation, very crisp, thirst quenching.

d- one of the best beers in this price range. very clean very crisp but not overly watered down and light body leave me thinking that i have found my new fall back beer. this beer i could drink everyday (and will!)

06-10-2009 03:22:33 | More by tj4288
NewGeneric

3.35/5  rDev -1.8%

Had this at the Philly airport. Poured a nice copper color with thin white head that dissipated quickly. Smelled of malt with a hint of hops. Tasted similar with caramel tones. Had a very smooth feel, finished clean. Overall, quite a drinkable, sessionable beer.

06-09-2009 02:05:11 | More by NewGeneric
bum732

Lesotho

3.7/5  rDev +8.5%

Pours a copper color, nice bubbly head, not much lacing. Smells of caramel malt, some earthiness, some grassy hops, some metal. Tastes of caramel sweetness throughout, some earthiness. Not much bitterness or hops in general. Finishes quite clean, touch of earthiness. Very light body but fairly refreshing.

A nice lager with decent flavor. Much better than many macros. I love drinking this beer when i have the chance. The ultimate session beer, a legend.

06-09-2009 00:38:06 | More by bum732
ElGeordie

2.95/5  rDev -13.5%

Yuengling Lager is usually the first step up from BMC around here (VA) and it is widely available - and cheap.
It certainly looks good in the glass : a rich amber colour, but rarely keeps it's white head for too long.
Taste wise it doesn't really follow through either: it's refreshing but there's something not quite right (adjuncts ?) about it. The balance between hops and malt is more on the malty side but it is very drinkable having said all that.

06-08-2009 14:47:16 | More by ElGeordie
thecarster1

3.6/5  rDev +5.6%

a- bottle poured into a pint, light brown clear coloring, half finger bubbly head, great long-lasting lacing, loads of carbonation.

s- smell reminds me of an adjunct, but more malt, mild smell.

t- balance of hops and malt, even and smooth, nothing jumps out overwhelmingly.

m- little thin.

d- very drinkable, goes down easy, not too carbonated, nice local offering.

06-08-2009 02:35:19 | More by thecarster1
merryjoulton

Arkansas

4.2/5  rDev +23.2%

Pours an amber color without any head but plenty of film and lacing. Smells of pungent thin hollow malt and hops, but crisp and clean nonetheless. There is nothing impressive about the smell, but there is absolutely no fault in it. I am a big ale drinker, and I have no idea why lagers have such a mass appeal when ales get hardly any credit, but I digress. The taste is thin, a tiny hint of malt and another tiny hint of hops. Mouthfeel is fine its just very thin and lacks any body but then again it is a lager. Drinkability is exceptional because there is no real fault in this beer.... clean, crisp, just enough taste to keep me going. Not a bad beer.

06-06-2009 04:40:14 | More by merryjoulton
originalsin

3.35/5  rDev -1.8%

I spent my last years of High School putting these back by the case.
Yuengling isn't a great beer by any means but it certainly is a respectable year-round offering. The drinkability is awesome and everything else is pretty standard. It smells and tastes very clean with hints of light grains but almost nothing to disrupt you from drinking the bottle without pause. It's just a tad bit sweet but that's not at all a factor.
Yuengling has always been one of the more popular offerings at my campfires and for good reason.

06-06-2009 00:58:10 | More by originalsin