Yuengling Traditional Lager - Yuengling Brewery

good

Yuengling Brewery visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

American Amber / Red Lager |  4.40% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-28-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Yuengling Traditional Lager Alström Bros

Had on tap and served in a pint glass.

Look: pale orange body with a thin, white head that doesn't really have any retention nor does it leave any lacing.

Smell: husky grain, reminiscent of a macro lager, and a little bit of hops.

Taste: follows the nose with a husky grain flavor standing out with a little bit of grassy hop in the background. Not a whole lot going here, but at least since its on tap I don't have to deal with the skunkiness of the bottle.

Feel: light body, crisp carbonation, easy drinking and conceivably a good session beer.

Overall: a step above macro lagers but woefully inadequate for an American amber lager. When better options exist that are easy to find, like Boston Lager, Brooklyn Lager or Blue Point Toasted Lager, I can't see myself ever choosing this over them. Cheers!

SkunkWorks, May 15, 2011
3.48/5  rDev +2.1%

Where I live, in the Washington DC area, this is THE go-to lager for events whose hosts want to culturally signify that their taste is a step above the national norm for backyard barbeques. And indeed, Yuengling is better than your average, nationally distributed macro brew. It's not great by connoisseurship standards, but it's far better than the usual offerings at a casual neighborhood gathering. Pours a clear copper with one finger of off-white head with good retention. Aromas are chalk full of graininess and the smell of a countryside breeze, but has little in the way of hops. Flavor was clearly considered by the brewers, who vested this brew with light malts balanced by light notes of English Breakfast Tea. Medium light body finishes mostly clean with a bit of woodiness on the finish. A beer that I would gladly offer to my less discerning friends, but not one that I would generally consider for myself.

droomyster, May 13, 2011
3.53/5  rDev +3.5%

Pours dark gold with amber hues. Thin head recedes quickly. No lacing.

Smells of bready malts and slightly yeasty. A welcome surprise!

Tastes like it smells for the most part. A little sweeter than I remembered. It is definitely different on tap than in bottle (in a good way). Almost has a hefe type of banana taste at he back of the tongue.

Mouthfeel is light. Moderate carbonation.

I like this on tap better than from bottle. I could drink a bunch of these watching a baseball game.

dmbsteve, May 11, 2011
3.05/5  rDev -10.6%

Poured a very transparent copper color with quite a bit of fluffy white head that disappeared quickly.

Smell was skunky - I really don't understand these green bottles.

Taste was malty upfront with a hint of skunkiness in the finish. Not quite as bad as the smell though. I think the Ulysses would be good if not for that.

Light mouthfeel - went down smooth.

Overall it's alright. Could be better, could be worse. The more I drink it, the better it tastes. I guess it's growing on me a little bit. Not a beer I would buy, but I would drink it again.

richkrull, May 11, 2011
2.93/5  rDev -14.1%

pours a clear amber, with rapidly disappearing white head.

smells very corny and syrupy.

taste: bland. a chalky mineral water type flavor hits first, followed by roasted corn. some bitter notes.

mouthfeel: cant complain, goes down smooth and doesnt leave anything lingering in the mouth or back of throat.

northaustin, May 10, 2011
3.3/5  rDev -3.2%

Pours a deep yellow/orange color. the light tan head is nearly an inch and falls slower than I predicted to a mottled layer. On the nose there is some malt sweetness, some grain, a touch of caramel. The beer has the same flavors as the smell with a dry hop thing going on at the end. The Yuengling beer is light/medium in body with an active carbonation which gives a bit of a prickle. Overall like most people say...it's a hell of a lot better than the macros but certainly not a great beer.

ThirstyBird, May 09, 2011
3.68/5  rDev +7.9%

A medium amber, clear with a half inch of white
foam.

S a little sweet with a hint of malt

T slight malt a touch of sweetness

M mid carbonation, dry, easy to drink

O A good beer. Its always my choice when out at a
chain resturant that only has A few choices.

jodmike2000, May 08, 2011
3.25/5  rDev -4.7%

A: dark red copper color with fizzy carbonation and slight lacing on the glass.

s: smells grassy and a little wheaty, not much hop, but enough to balance the aroma well. the aromas are just not pronounced all that well.

t: tasty caramel malt flavor with a crisp mild hop bite.

m: excellent mouthfeel, as should be expected from a mass produced lager. crisp, light-medium bodied with fizzy carbonation.

o: this is the first beer in a multiple step program to getting yourself away from macro crap. and for the price, you can't beat it. it's funny when you talk to people about how you like "good beer" and they say, "yeah me too! i only buy yuengling!", but at least they're staying away from bud light aluminums. anyway, definitely a great everyday run of the mill lager.

ReelBigwigFish, May 05, 2011
3.1/5  rDev -9.1%

Its a solid American Red Lager....nothing fancy....nothing bad. The color is a clear amber with thin white head that has some lace. The nose is nothing to write home about....smell like a plain American Amber ale. The taste is very solid a very drinkable beer. There is grain and malt that can be found on the pallete. The mouthfeel is easy and could session all day long.

WoodBrew, May 05, 2011
3.73/5  rDev +9.4%

Not bad by any stretch. In my early days of beer drinking, before I understood craft brewing, this was my go-to drink. Clean, mild, nice wheaty flavor, and easy to drink.

Now that my palate is a bit more refined, I still like this beer a lot. When I go to a BBQ or a party with people whose mainstay drink is one of the big three Macro companies, I always try to wean them onto Yuengling to introduce some flavor to their lives without risking the inflammation of their homophobia because they like an herbed gruit or something...

Anyway, drink Yuengling, it's good, affordable, and deserves to be help more prominently than the big three that dominate the world of featherweight beer.

StaEva, May 02, 2011
3.35/5  rDev -1.8%

This was my high school beer of choice and has continued to be a standby all the way through to legal drinking age, a great beer at the same price point as BMC from America's oldest brewery.

A - Slightly darker than BMC, a nice amber color with a two finger head that dissipates to almost nothing rather quickly.

S - Malty, with a sweetgrass scent that vaguely hints at the hops present in the beer.

T - In a word, clean. A decent malt flavor at first, followed by a more citrusy than bitter hop taste that closes out really smooth with a really nice aftertaste.

M - Creamy as hell, really easy to drink again, and again, and again.

Overall, it's a fantastic beer to pick up when you've got a bunch of friends coming over or just to have in the fridge as a backup. I pity those of you outside the distribution area.

onechordwonder, Apr 28, 2011
3.38/5  rDev -0.9%

A beer that I have had many times. At bars that only carry BMC this is usually my go to beer.

A: Pours a rather deep amber color with a small white head. The head fades very quickly and leaves behind very little lacing.

S: Light caramel aromas, a pilsner smell, and a little bit of fruit. A little bit of hops are detectable.

T: Light malt, mostly caramel, some light fruit, and a little bit of faint citrus. Slight grainy flavor as well.

M: Rather light, but not watery. It has a nice crispness with lively carbonation.

O: You know what you are getting with this beer. It has a purpose and fills it well. It is an inexpensive session beer that is superior to BMC products. Good for a long day, hanging outside at a BBQ or at the beach.

mdaschaf, Apr 28, 2011
3.63/5  rDev +6.5%

Clear amber with a white, one finger head that dissapates quickly

Some grassy hops with a dry malt backbone, slight caramel.

Lots of little bits. Little bits of citrus, grass, caramel, neutral graininess, tartness.

Light mouthfeel with high carbonation.

Overall, it is what it is, and it's damn good for what it is.

MrOH, Apr 26, 2011
4.22/5  rDev +23.8%

The pour is light to amber color, with an acceptable head. Not paticularly fragrant, but that's OK with me. I enjoyed the taste, not to hoppy or filling for a multiple dose everyday beer. Minimal after taste. Definitely my BBQ, game day, or post mow refresher choice!

JOT, Apr 23, 2011
3.1/5  rDev -9.1%

A 12 oz CAN (sent by aluminum assassin, woodychandler), poured to a pint glass (the one from Mockingbird Cafe, Bay St. Louis, MS, if you must know). No date to be found, just a 10-digit code on the bottom.

'Original Amber Beer' presented 'by America's Oldest Brewery'

A: On the lighter side of 'amber', closer to 'copper' with some tarnish. Humdrum carbonation: some lazy bubbles writhe upward, but vigor isn't their strong suit. A funny mistiness hanging in the glass. Head starts small and fades quickly, a light bristling foam that fades away almost entirely within about 5 minutes.

S: A very sweet cereal/malt smell, gooey caramel and sugary citrus (candied orange/tangerine). Hardly an inkling of hops.

T: A bit of a saving grace here, I do like the flavor quite a bit. Nutty and caramel-rich, some dry spiciness and fruity hints - it's benign yet rather interesting all at once. Sure it's on the maltier/sweeter side - but, truth be told, my tastes lean that way.

M: A thinness that's not so appealing, but a subtle crispness that is. Rather smooth, light-bodied and refreshing. Trace oiliness and graininess are negatives.

O: So-so beer with some major weaknesses when compared to the better examples of the style. Still, it's light and easy enough to drink with a serviceable flavor that would make it session-worthy I s'pose... should you choose to go the route of fairly bland and macro-ish lagers.

msubulldog25, Apr 23, 2011
3.38/5  rDev -0.9%

I picked up a 24oz can at a gas station in Florida for $1.99. It was right next to the BMC 40's. It pours a watery and crystal clear orangeish amber in color with a billowing two finger soft and spongy off white head. It smells of sweet carmel malts, bread crumbs, and has that BMC aluminum can smell. It actually tastes pretty sweet. It has this sweet maltyness which isn't too shabby and it is sweeter out of the can than from the bottle. I'm actually surprised at how much better this one tastes out of the can. There is zero hop presence but I didn't expect any. It's a little watery but it's actually pretty drinkable and I'd much rather drink this than anything else with the same price tag.

aasher, Apr 20, 2011
3.68/5  rDev +7.9%

12oz can into DFH shaped pint glass. Huge thank to woodychadler for sending me this one.

A: Pours a dark grainy-amber with a billowing light tan head that slowly faded into a thin fluffy film that left spots of lacing down the glass.
S: Clean smelling with light notes of dry bread crust and sweet grassy hops.
T: Flavor follows the nose with the addition of maybe a hint of honey or sweet fruit mixed in with the sweet yet bready malt and lightly grass hops.
M: Body is on the lighter side of medium with a slick mouthfeel and slightly dry, crisp finish.
O: An easy going easy to drink beer with enough flavor to stand on its own but not bold enough to distract from a meal. Thanks again woody for hooking it up!

scottfrie, Apr 20, 2011
3.65/5  rDev +7%

This beer is made in the oldest brewery in America. It's only in ten states and I happen to be in the state which it's brewed in. From time to time, The beer distributor is out of it because somebody from Ohio came and bought up all the Yuengling at 3 different beer distributors.

Pours golden amber color with a lot of carbonation and a 2 finger head which quickly diminishes. Smell is extremely unique. Malty nose mostly, but for a lager it smells a tiny bit hoppy, which in most lagers is not as noticable. The smell reminds me of and Anchor Steam a very little bit.

Taste is smooth, malty sweet with just enough hops to balance it out. The hint of darkness in the malts really gives this beer a unique flavor. I mentioned it smells a bit like Anchor Steam but it's taste is really not very similar. Plenty of carbonation and flavor.

The finish is somewhat creamy and very slighty dry. For me, this beer leaves a similar mouthfeel to that of just having finished a soda or milk, but without the flavor of soda or milk. That's the best I can do to describe it.

I have been drinking this beer since before Uncle Sam thinks it appropriate. Before ever stepping foot in the beer store, I had assumed that people were paying $5-10 per case for this beer than others. Even to an untrained pallet this beer had special characteristics that the other lagers didn't. This is a good session beer for a damn cheap price. In PA, it's only $20 and some change for 24 bottles. Great beer to support if you can't afford cases of beer upwards of $35.

GreenJetta912, Apr 18, 2011
3.78/5  rDev +10.9%

Ah, Yuengling, my traditional beer of choice. Yuengling occupies a special place in my heart as my everyday, go-to beer. Sure, I love a Double-IPA-Barleywine-Hops-Infused-Triple-Hopped-Hop-Ale as much as the next guy, but sometimes, as the end of a long day, I just want to sip on a nice, refreshing, tasty beer. For me, it's Yuengling.

Yuengling, as I'm sure everyone knows, hails from a little town called Pottsville, Pennsylvania. The company, D.G. Yuengling & Son, was founded in 1829 as the "Eagle Brewery" by a German immigrant named, you guessed it, Yuengling. On every bottle, the company lays claim to the title of "America's Oldest Brewery," though this is in question. Regardless, the company makes some damn fine brews for a mass-production operation.

"Yuengling Traditional Lager" is available throughout the Mid-Atlantic, and I've heard that they are expanding further to the south.

The beer itself pours a medium amber color with little to no head. There is a delicious (and a very unique) bread smell that is unlike any other beer I've come across. Trust me, you need to pour one to understand what I'm talking about. It tastes heavily on the sweet malt side with a nice caramel finish. On a hot day, there is nothing more refreshing a cold Yuengling.

I recommend it.

TheCommonwealth, Apr 17, 2011

i this is my Favorite beer i wish i could get it in Chicago, this is a Smooth amber beer with a gold color. pours with little head. it has a Malt,Wood smell to it. it a great summer beer to have wile on the beach or on the golf course. the only bad thing about it is i cant get it in the Midwest so i don't get to drink it that often.

if you can get it don't see why anyone would Drink bud or miller over it

adammacmillan, Apr 16, 2011
2.58/5  rDev -24.3%

A friend of mine ended up with some of these somehow. So he gave one to me. Sweet! Poured into a pint glass. This pours with a good looking amber body with just a thin white head. It dies down quickly with thin runny lace.

Musty dank hops right up front. A little bit of fruit but it reminds me of cough syrup. When I had a cough when I was a kid my mom used to boil some water and mix in some lemon juice and honey; that is exactly what this smells like. This one is better on the flavor. A good amount of bready malts with just a bit of a dank hoppy profile. Still seems a bit off to me. I can't get past this medicinal taste.

Good feel here, this is a decent body with good carbonation. Overall this isn't the worst beer I've ever had. Not a fan, but I'm glad I tried it. Just seems to have off flavors and aromas.

Bendurgin, Apr 16, 2011
3.58/5  rDev +5%

Pours to a 1-inch white head and amber-gold color. Aroma is grassy hops and sweet malt and maybe some other grains. It has a whiff of white grape juice. Flavor is crisp and balanced: grassy hops and a bit of butteriness mixed into the malty grainy backbone. Mouthfeel is just right with light body and moderate CO2. Overall, I like this beer for everyday (that is, if they started distributing to my area. I had to go to the Memphis Airport to have this. That is about as far west as this stuff goes.) Nothing extreme, balanced, no weird flavors (or no weird flavors I dislike). A solid citizen.

EagleTalon, Apr 14, 2011
3.05/5  rDev -10.6%

This beer happens to be my "go-to brew" when I'm out at a bar and don't want to fork out $4-$5 for a micro brew or import.

Appearance - Nothing special here. Pours a amber body with a vigorous 1" head. Lacing is dismal.

Smell - Bready malts come through with some earthy, grass-like hops. Some citrus notes pop through as well.

Taste - Bread comes through and so does the citrus. Bitterness is pretty light and comes through from the middle to the end. Quite watered down, actually.

Mouthfeel - Carbonation isn't too crazy and the sting is moderate.

Overall - I guess this is just your average amber. Nothing too impressive here other than the fact that it's pretty balanced and that's pretty affordable. I would still drink it over most other affordable brews.

shaunb81, Apr 13, 2011
3.1/5  rDev -9.1%

Whenever I'm out and the bar doesn't have what I want this beer usually comes into play. This is always a beer that I can fall back on most of the time. This lager pours out as a reddish brown color, not typical of most lagers out there. The head fades very fast on this beer unfortunately. The smell of this beer kind of stands on it own. The mix of malts, some possible wood aromas come through and just a hint of hops. The mouthfeel is a bit watery on this beer but it's still drinkable.

Knapp85, Apr 10, 2011
3.4/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Single bottle brought back from the USofA by my Pa a few weeks back.

Poured into a nonic glass.

A nice, golden-copper hue, clear, lots of visible carbonation. A thin head, which dissolves into a fine ring.

Nose is mild, but pleasant. Malt, grassy hops, a bit of citrus.

A decent-tasting brew, certainly something I would enjoy in great quantities. What the beer lacks in definition, it makes up for in sheer drinkability. Slightly malty and bready, citrus and grassy hops. Mild carbonation, thin-bodied.

Would that other big-name US lagers taste as good as this. A beer I would certainly be happy having around the fridge for casual patio and backyard drinking. Certainly a few cuts above your standard BMC fare, that's for damned sure.

JohnnyBarman, Apr 07, 2011