Yuengling Traditional Lager - Yuengling Brewery

good

Yuengling Brewery visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

American Amber / Red Lager |  4.40% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-28-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Yuengling Traditional Lager Alström Bros
3.38/5  rDev -0.9%

I picked up a 24oz can at a gas station in Florida for $1.99. It was right next to the BMC 40's. It pours a watery and crystal clear orangeish amber in color with a billowing two finger soft and spongy off white head. It smells of sweet carmel malts, bread crumbs, and has that BMC aluminum can smell. It actually tastes pretty sweet. It has this sweet maltyness which isn't too shabby and it is sweeter out of the can than from the bottle. I'm actually surprised at how much better this one tastes out of the can. There is zero hop presence but I didn't expect any. It's a little watery but it's actually pretty drinkable and I'd much rather drink this than anything else with the same price tag.

aasher, Apr 20, 2011
3.68/5  rDev +7.9%

12oz can into DFH shaped pint glass. Huge thank to woodychadler for sending me this one.

A: Pours a dark grainy-amber with a billowing light tan head that slowly faded into a thin fluffy film that left spots of lacing down the glass.
S: Clean smelling with light notes of dry bread crust and sweet grassy hops.
T: Flavor follows the nose with the addition of maybe a hint of honey or sweet fruit mixed in with the sweet yet bready malt and lightly grass hops.
M: Body is on the lighter side of medium with a slick mouthfeel and slightly dry, crisp finish.
O: An easy going easy to drink beer with enough flavor to stand on its own but not bold enough to distract from a meal. Thanks again woody for hooking it up!

scottfrie, Apr 20, 2011
3.65/5  rDev +7%

This beer is made in the oldest brewery in America. It's only in ten states and I happen to be in the state which it's brewed in. From time to time, The beer distributor is out of it because somebody from Ohio came and bought up all the Yuengling at 3 different beer distributors.

Pours golden amber color with a lot of carbonation and a 2 finger head which quickly diminishes. Smell is extremely unique. Malty nose mostly, but for a lager it smells a tiny bit hoppy, which in most lagers is not as noticable. The smell reminds me of and Anchor Steam a very little bit.

Taste is smooth, malty sweet with just enough hops to balance it out. The hint of darkness in the malts really gives this beer a unique flavor. I mentioned it smells a bit like Anchor Steam but it's taste is really not very similar. Plenty of carbonation and flavor.

The finish is somewhat creamy and very slighty dry. For me, this beer leaves a similar mouthfeel to that of just having finished a soda or milk, but without the flavor of soda or milk. That's the best I can do to describe it.

I have been drinking this beer since before Uncle Sam thinks it appropriate. Before ever stepping foot in the beer store, I had assumed that people were paying $5-10 per case for this beer than others. Even to an untrained pallet this beer had special characteristics that the other lagers didn't. This is a good session beer for a damn cheap price. In PA, it's only $20 and some change for 24 bottles. Great beer to support if you can't afford cases of beer upwards of $35.

GreenJetta912, Apr 18, 2011
3.78/5  rDev +10.9%

Ah, Yuengling, my traditional beer of choice. Yuengling occupies a special place in my heart as my everyday, go-to beer. Sure, I love a Double-IPA-Barleywine-Hops-Infused-Triple-Hopped-Hop-Ale as much as the next guy, but sometimes, as the end of a long day, I just want to sip on a nice, refreshing, tasty beer. For me, it's Yuengling.

Yuengling, as I'm sure everyone knows, hails from a little town called Pottsville, Pennsylvania. The company, D.G. Yuengling & Son, was founded in 1829 as the "Eagle Brewery" by a German immigrant named, you guessed it, Yuengling. On every bottle, the company lays claim to the title of "America's Oldest Brewery," though this is in question. Regardless, the company makes some damn fine brews for a mass-production operation.

"Yuengling Traditional Lager" is available throughout the Mid-Atlantic, and I've heard that they are expanding further to the south.

The beer itself pours a medium amber color with little to no head. There is a delicious (and a very unique) bread smell that is unlike any other beer I've come across. Trust me, you need to pour one to understand what I'm talking about. It tastes heavily on the sweet malt side with a nice caramel finish. On a hot day, there is nothing more refreshing a cold Yuengling.

I recommend it.

TheCommonwealth, Apr 17, 2011

i this is my Favorite beer i wish i could get it in Chicago, this is a Smooth amber beer with a gold color. pours with little head. it has a Malt,Wood smell to it. it a great summer beer to have wile on the beach or on the golf course. the only bad thing about it is i cant get it in the Midwest so i don't get to drink it that often.

if you can get it don't see why anyone would Drink bud or miller over it

adammacmillan, Apr 16, 2011
2.58/5  rDev -24.3%

A friend of mine ended up with some of these somehow. So he gave one to me. Sweet! Poured into a pint glass. This pours with a good looking amber body with just a thin white head. It dies down quickly with thin runny lace.

Musty dank hops right up front. A little bit of fruit but it reminds me of cough syrup. When I had a cough when I was a kid my mom used to boil some water and mix in some lemon juice and honey; that is exactly what this smells like. This one is better on the flavor. A good amount of bready malts with just a bit of a dank hoppy profile. Still seems a bit off to me. I can't get past this medicinal taste.

Good feel here, this is a decent body with good carbonation. Overall this isn't the worst beer I've ever had. Not a fan, but I'm glad I tried it. Just seems to have off flavors and aromas.

Bendurgin, Apr 16, 2011
3.58/5  rDev +5%

Pours to a 1-inch white head and amber-gold color. Aroma is grassy hops and sweet malt and maybe some other grains. It has a whiff of white grape juice. Flavor is crisp and balanced: grassy hops and a bit of butteriness mixed into the malty grainy backbone. Mouthfeel is just right with light body and moderate CO2. Overall, I like this beer for everyday (that is, if they started distributing to my area. I had to go to the Memphis Airport to have this. That is about as far west as this stuff goes.) Nothing extreme, balanced, no weird flavors (or no weird flavors I dislike). A solid citizen.

EagleTalon, Apr 14, 2011
3.05/5  rDev -10.6%

This beer happens to be my "go-to brew" when I'm out at a bar and don't want to fork out $4-$5 for a micro brew or import.

Appearance - Nothing special here. Pours a amber body with a vigorous 1" head. Lacing is dismal.

Smell - Bready malts come through with some earthy, grass-like hops. Some citrus notes pop through as well.

Taste - Bread comes through and so does the citrus. Bitterness is pretty light and comes through from the middle to the end. Quite watered down, actually.

Mouthfeel - Carbonation isn't too crazy and the sting is moderate.

Overall - I guess this is just your average amber. Nothing too impressive here other than the fact that it's pretty balanced and that's pretty affordable. I would still drink it over most other affordable brews.

shaunb81, Apr 13, 2011
3.1/5  rDev -9.1%

Whenever I'm out and the bar doesn't have what I want this beer usually comes into play. This is always a beer that I can fall back on most of the time. This lager pours out as a reddish brown color, not typical of most lagers out there. The head fades very fast on this beer unfortunately. The smell of this beer kind of stands on it own. The mix of malts, some possible wood aromas come through and just a hint of hops. The mouthfeel is a bit watery on this beer but it's still drinkable.

Knapp85, Apr 10, 2011
3.4/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Single bottle brought back from the USofA by my Pa a few weeks back.

Poured into a nonic glass.

A nice, golden-copper hue, clear, lots of visible carbonation. A thin head, which dissolves into a fine ring.

Nose is mild, but pleasant. Malt, grassy hops, a bit of citrus.

A decent-tasting brew, certainly something I would enjoy in great quantities. What the beer lacks in definition, it makes up for in sheer drinkability. Slightly malty and bready, citrus and grassy hops. Mild carbonation, thin-bodied.

Would that other big-name US lagers taste as good as this. A beer I would certainly be happy having around the fridge for casual patio and backyard drinking. Certainly a few cuts above your standard BMC fare, that's for damned sure.

JohnnyBarman, Apr 07, 2011
3.95/5  rDev +15.8%

My local beer, being a Philadelphian, I have spent many a night drinking Mr. Yuengling's brew. I really feel that there are very few beers that have the great appearance that "Lager", as we call it in Philly, does. The taste can be a bit strong for a lager, but it is very easy to drink throughout the night. There are very few negatives with this beer, but still just a bit of taste away from in the elite class.

sthompson519, Apr 07, 2011
3.93/5  rDev +15.2%

Got a case of these babies from down the street at the distrubotar.

A-A beautiful light amber color

S-Some sweetness in there,not too hoppy, a typical lagar smell

T-Ahhhh, too nice, smooth and sweet taste and still has a little bitterness that a lagar has.

M-Kinda bitter, but its that bitterness that your comfortable with

Overall- A good beer, deffiantly get a case, a perfect lagar to have in all seasons. I'm glad to live in PA where it flows like mud. Thank you

Danbeer3, Apr 07, 2011
3.43/5  rDev +0.6%

Poured from a keg provided by Dickinson College. Nice!

A - Light brown. Thin white head. Tiny bit of lacing, but not much.
S - Not too much to the smell, a bit of grainy sweetness and a slight fruitiness but it is a stretch.
T - Again, not too much to the taste. A bit of grainy malty flavor, a touch of bitterness. No off flavors. A very clean, crisp flavor.
MF - Just enough body. Very refreshing.
O - Good beer, especially when you consider the style. I've had a lot of this beer. I had one last fall at a ski instructors meeting paired with a burger and that was near nirvana.
If you ever get the chance to drink this with a burger, do so, as it is probably one of my favorite food-beer pairings.

Anyways, on its own it doesn't hold a candle to some of my favorite beers but it is still good.

mountsnow1010, Apr 01, 2011
3.08/5  rDev -9.7%

Poured an amber gold with a two finger white head, very little retention and lacing.

Aroma was boring with some sweet malts and a hint of hops.

Taste started with a slight sweetness of caramel, a little grainy malt, orange and a slight bitter ending.

Mouthfeel was a light body with heavy carbonation, crisp and clean.

Overall not very exciting, it's a good old American Lager.

dtivp, Mar 29, 2011
4.6/5  rDev +34.9%

A: Boring, but it's a lager

S: Not too complex, but like I said, it's a lager.

T: Tastes the way a lager should. I think it has the perfect arc of flavor for the type of beer. Wish I could explain it more but...you know.

M: Medium carbonation and watery. It's a lager; what did you expect?

O: I don't drink a ton of lagers. The first beer that I ever liked was a Guinness, so I'm definitely more interested in ales, porters, and stouts. But this beer was really refreshing. In terms of lagers, it can't get much better. In terms of beer, this is nothing to write home about.

LebronJeremy, Mar 29, 2011
2.85/5  rDev -16.4%

Bottle into pint glass (thank you Bill for the delivery and also to Craig & Kelly!)
A - Clear amber/light brown in color, half a finger head disappeared quickly to almost no crown just rising bubbles 3
S - minimal nose overall, grainy with a slight grassy hop scent 2.5
T - light malts & slight fruit to a mild clean finish, OK taste but a macro brew in all but name 3
M - light body, watery, mild to moderate carbonation 2.5
O - Drinkable, but nothing here but a checkmark on your "I've had a beer from the oldest brewer in America" box 3

rsdaugherty, Mar 26, 2011
3.5/5  rDev +2.6%

Served on tap in a Sam Adams perfect pint glass.

Color is medium amber, clear beer, with about a finger of off-white head that dissipates quickly. Aromas are of light malt sweetness and faint hops. Taste is clean with some caramel, bready malt notes. Little to no bitterness. Body is medium-thin, with a moderate amount of carbonation. Finish is crisp and slightly sweet.

Nothing overly special, but a worthy, easy drinking lager.

sommersb, Mar 26, 2011
3.28/5  rDev -3.8%

Simple light amber color without much head. Smells hoppy and bit grassy. Very clean and crisp taste without much complexity. Hoppy with some mild orange rind. Lingering bitterness is very mild. Not a bad choice for a refereshing cold one, certainly better than most macros, but not in the discussion of true great crafts.

CountJustinian, Mar 24, 2011
3.33/5  rDev -2.3%

Poured from 12oz bottle into normal pint glass

A: Pours a nice golden copper with a large white head that quickly disappears.

S: Malty, grainy and stale, nothing exciting here. Reminds me of an "upscale" adjunct BMC

T: Malty, sweet and ale. A good tasting lager for its style but I still drawn to the "upscale" BMC comparisons.

M: Very light, crisp, highly carbonated and easy to consume.

D: Good drinkability for a cheaper beer. If I were on a budget I could settle for this, but it would be settling.

sturner26, Mar 24, 2011
3.5/5  rDev +2.6%

On tap at Las Margaritas, notes from phone 3-5-11

A- Amber body with a small white head

S- Some malt? not much...

T- Sweet malts, though not too sweet to start things off, moves into a nice malt body and finishes crisp and dry with a citrus hop bite

M- Light body with a crisp finish both from the hops and the moderate carbonation

D- Very easy to drink and a go-to if a restaurant has a mainly BMC selection as this one did

aepb1, Mar 23, 2011
4.5/5  rDev +32%

This is the best beer for the price EVER! I live in CA so it is very difficult to get, my wife brought (via automobile) 3 cases back from Florida for me. I only have a 12'er left.

Not a big fan of the A,S,T,M,O ratings, just want to know if it is a good beer or not. This is a good beer. A beer drinkers beer. If I could I would move back to the east coast just to have it all the time.

karin, Mar 23, 2011
3.08/5  rDev -9.7%

A pint at the Old Shaker Inn in Latham, NY.

Nice head, good lace, clear amber with lots of carbonation. Malt aroma leaning toward the sweet side with a hint of earthy hops. Medium carbonation mouthfeel with body on the thin side, particularly toward the back end. Lightly roasted malt taste, light earthy hops middle, cooked corn finish.

LittleDon, Mar 23, 2011
2.9/5  rDev -15%

For an PA. beer I guess this ones ok.

A- an ok amber color with a think white head that dissaptes quickly

S- Clean aroma, hops and grain

T- MMM... malty sweet, a slight hop bitterness a tad citrus

M- medium bodied and crisp

D- This a good beer with modrate drinkablity, if I go to a bar and Yuengling is the only thing on tap I order it. Great brew anytime.

iLovehops23, Mar 20, 2011

Appearance - A clear orange/burnt orange color. Almost copper. White head that was a little bit fizzy and soapy looking. Poured a decent sized head. Only average retention and bits of lacing.

Smell - Slightly sweet smelling. Picking up notes of caramel. Maybe even a cracker type aroma. A touch of grain also. Rather tame in the aroma. Got a slight "stale" aroma after it warmed a bit.

Taste - The taste brought out more of the grain flavors while the sweet caramel was pushed to the side. Just a bit light on flavor.

Mouthfeel - The mouthfeel seems medium to medium/thin. A tad bit watery. Doesn't leave much on the palate either. It is rather smooth and crisp however.

Drinkability - Well, this beer is ok I guess. It is a step above any "macro", but it's still nothing outstanding in my opinion. It's drinkable, however after one or two I would probably be searching for something else to sip on. It could be a decent gateway beer.

Shrews629, Mar 18, 2011
3.73/5  rDev +9.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

An incredibly popular beer in the Pennsylvania area. Poured out of the bottle it has a deep coppery color. Smells very sweet with a slight malt character revealing itself. Tastes very sweet and toasty with just a touch of skunk which actually gives the beer some of its best character. Medium bodied beer that can be as others have said kind of watery. Altogether its a wonderful beer at a very reasonable price here. Picked up a case for under $20.

SkynetResistance, Mar 18, 2011