Yuengling Traditional Lager - Yuengling Brewery

Yuengling Brewery visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

American Amber / Red Lager |  4.40% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-28-2001

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Yuengling Traditional Lager Alström Bros
3.99/5  rDev +17.4%

one of the real great reasons for me moving from louisville to durham, nc was the discovery of this beer...when i moved i quickly noticed this was 'the' overall drinking beer at nearly every place my wife and i went...

the pour is a wonderfully clear and with constant bubbling moving upwards...nice rich white head which settles in the middle but stays constant on the edges for a decent lace for this lager...

i'm not good at the smells of non-craft beers but the malts are most present...

very light and not at all bitter...malts dominate to me...this beer has the most character i've tasted for a beer you can drink 6+ at a sporting event...

from here on out i will always have this beer in my fridge as long as i'm in a city where i can get it...

FYI: buy this beer in a can over a bottle...

2.49/5  rDev -26.8%

Color: pours and sits golden brown

Smell: at first has an almost meaty aroma. maybe a little metallic, with some maltiness

Taste: starts off with just a slight dry, whiskeyesque note on the front of the tongue. quickly shifts to a clean, crisp, thinly malty and hoppy flavor

Mouthfeel: med-light body with low carbonation

Notes: first taste of this brewery. yuengling is not available in michigan and yet many people ask if we carry it. i dont get the hype. there are plenty of subs. i guess its just a cult thing where someone will get to brag to his friends for a week that he brought a case back from some other state, like hes bootlegging yuenglings or something.

3.7/5  rDev +8.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Well, hell, after reading the various & sundry denunciations of Yuengling, which I managed to mispronounce rather badly, I was happy to find this a very acceptable beer in a very good restaurant that didn't appear to have any decent brews.

While my wife, my beautiful, gorgeous, young, nubile wife, sucked on a Shock Top (which isn't bad either for what it is) I opted for a Yuengling. Pretty standard sort of thing, but with some malt sweetness that was much more pronounced than a standard lager. If more lagers tasted like this, I'd drink more of them.

At 4.40 ABV, of course, extremely drinkable. I could slump over a scarred up old bar & drink these all night. Doggone decent beer for $2.95 a pour!

2.73/5  rDev -19.7%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: Pours a deep amber. Little head, no lacing.

Smell: Bad macro lager skunk aroma. Sweetish malt dominates, no real hop aroma.

Taste: Yuengling skunk, touch of sweet malt, hint of hop

Mouthfeel: Light and thin

Drinkability: Very basic and simple; cheap cheap cheap; better choice than bud or coors at a bar

2.36/5  rDev -30.6%

Thanks to my parents for remembering me on their trip to Pittsburgh. Into some old mug from Murphy's in Champagne.

A - Pale, watery amber body with big, rocky white head that disappears to nothing (not even a thin ring) very quickly.

S - Good balance between anise, herbal spiciness and caramel malt sweetness. Some leather says my wife. Pretty much what I expect from an amber lager.

T - Not the most full-flavored beer I've ever had. Very mild dry pilsener malt flavor at first, with some even more mild toasted malt flavors adding some sweetness. Spiciness form the hops comes in right at the swallow, and combined with the anise sweetness gives this beer some semblance of flavor before it dies into this club soda-esque finish...

M - Very watery body, with carbonation that made me think I was drinking coke from a fountain.

D - I've had this beer a couple of times now, and I can say now that I see why it is a cult beer. It's not really that good, but better than the BMC's, around the same price, and has local appeal. That being said, it's just not a very impressive beer. It does do some things right (I love how some ambers pick up anise notes), but does so many things wrong (body, finish, lack of flavor...) Honestly, I'd rather have the new Schlitz (surprisingly good beer...)

3.81/5  rDev +12.1%

Poured on tap at the Sub N Pub in Mt. Pleasant. Nice little joint.

This was my go to beer in college. I since have moved on and this is the first one I have had in a few years.

Appears a pale yellow with some nice bubbles, but not much in the way of head or retention.

Smells pretty bad, corn in the forefront.

Tastes like it is supposed to. Non offensive, a bit of a bitter bite, nice crisp finish.

Mouth is good, thin/med body and med/high carbonation.

Drinkability is exceptional, the very textbook definition of a session beer for me. They fix that smell and this could stand up above it's regional macro reputation.

3.57/5  rDev +5%

Just to toss in my two cents on this one, this has become my new 'cheap' beer, I do like it and the price is good and available pretty much everywhere in the south (originally from Michigan where it didn't exist). Pretty standard, middle of the road lager, easy to drink, easy on the wallet, not a bad choice when you don't want to spend a fortune on beer, but want to at least be a step above some of the more traditional big breweries.

3.28/5  rDev -3.5%

A - A nice Amber color with a light head that doesn't linger.

S - Not much of a distinctive odor. Light sweetness but not much more

T - Crisp with a little bit of sweetness. The hops are understated.

M - A good mouthfeel. It has a smoothness that makes this a nice drinkable beer when nothing better is available.

D - A good fallback beer. I bring this as a postgame beer for hockey nights. It's better than the Molson that others show up with.

3.56/5  rDev +4.7%

I poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a standard pint glass. It pours a light amber with a 2 finger white head. The aroma is a bit metallic and grassy. The flavor is sweet with little hoppy bitterness. The finish is crisp and clean. A light bodied beer that is made for quaffing. A long time favorite and a great session beer.

3.32/5  rDev -2.4%

nice tarnished golden appearance with an amber presence. a descent size head that dissipates quickly and leaves a little lacing.

smell of rubbery sewage water. yes, no exaggeration. with hints of barley malts and a little caramel. i cant give this beer a pass on its smell, its horrible.

honestly, i dont know what the hell im tasting. its hard for me to describe the taste other than it taste like yuengling and overall, i like it.

nice mouthfeel, light bodied, maybe a little to much on the carbonation. nothing special, nothing horrible.

excellent drinkability. i see yuengling as a very versatile beer. its always a pleasant surprise to find this beer at a party as opposed to usual macros like bud and miller. being from pa too, yuengling often brings a sense of pride and i love seeing it when i go other places. however, as my palate has expanded, i must say it doesnt hold a candle to many of the greater beers i have experienced. nonetheless, yuengling will always be one of favorites and reliable.

3.29/5  rDev -3.2%

Appearance - crystal clear amber, finger thick off-white fiinger thick head, most of which dies away. A continuous wellspring of bubbles quickly and continuously rise up from the bottom.

Smell - sourdough bread in a tin can - I understand this is ridiculous, but this is the best I can do!

Taste - slightly sour breadiness, slightly sweet with a very subtle earthyhop profile, refreshing.

Mouthfeel - medium bodied, crisp, well carbonated

Drinkability - I can and have consumed large quantities of this beer.

FYI - Living in Southeastern PA, If you ask for 'Lager' at any local bar, this is what they give you.

2.06/5  rDev -39.4%

I heard a lot of rave reviews about this beer, but simply put I was very disappointed. The beer looks good out of the bottle with a nice amber glow and a good foamy head but thats were the good ends. IMO the beer just lacks any real flavor and tastes very watered down.

3.55/5  rDev +4.4%

Clean and refreshing is what you are gonna get with this beer. An excellent thirst quencher. One of my go to beers when I am looking for something light. A great session beer that doesn't get offensive with a lot of foods. The taste is on the sweeter side and the hop flavor is subdued. I prefer it on draft, but it is decent from the bottle too.

2.39/5  rDev -29.7%

As someone who grew up in the heart of Yuengling country, I feel qualified to write something on this one...

Appearance: Fairly attracive amber color. Certainly more to it in this regard when compared to BMC, but the fizzy head (which quickly retreats) hurts it somewhat.

Smell: The smell is dominated, in my opinion, by an off-putting sulfur note.

Taste: Again, sulfur and adjuncts really kill this beer for me. Not much of a malt backbone to speak of. Hops are detectable, provided one is looking for them.

Mouthfeel: This is perhaps the best aspect. The level of carbonation is just right, and it's not too light considering the style. If only it tasted good, then we might have something.

Drinkability: The drinkability suffers for me, because I find it hard to choke this down with the sulfur. After I've had a few choice brews, and my palate has numbed somewhat, it becomes easier to drink -- but still far from preferable.

Overall, I've never been fond of Yuenling Lager. The porter is okay, and to a lesser extent the black and tan, but the lager is something I really have to choke down.

2.7/5  rDev -20.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

This is probably the best of your cheap, American lagers. Not too bitter and has decent aftertaste and won't leave you with a hangover.

You basically get what you pay for with this beer. I would say that it's far better than Budweiser, Miller, Coors, etc.

3.63/5  rDev +6.8%

This beer pours a vey clear amber with a light white head. The snell is feint but you get some malt in the nose. The taste is nice and smooth, not overpowering by any means, no bad aftertastes like other lagers and a slight hop flavor. The mouthfeel seems nice and the carbonation level may be a little low. A highly drinkable brew with no bad aftertaste.

3.45/5  rDev +1.5%

Ah, a staple when I was in college. Being from PA, I've had Yuengling on tap, bottled, and canned. By far, for whatever reason, out of the can is much more delicious than the other's mentioned. I don't know why, but it just is. Do a side by side bottle and can and try it for yourself!

A - Dark ruby color with a finger or so of creamy, light head.

S - Not much smell to this beer. A little sweetness, maybe some malts creeping in and out.

T - A great lager, some crisp notes, some sweetness, just a faint faint hint of hops. Just a hint of light caramel and dried fruits.

M - Right on point for a lager. Good mouthfeel. Medium carbonation that's just right.

D - Nothing beats slugging a few of these after some hard work outside on a hot summer day. Otherwise, one or 2 is plenty.

4.16/5  rDev +22.4%

Yuengling: When your standard BMC's aren't acceptable anymore.

Poured beer from the bottle into a tall pilsner glass.

Had an amber color with a thick white head. Foamy.

Smell was average at best. Malts stick out sometimes, but that's about it.

Taste is very appealing, well-balanced. Malts somewhat present.

Leaves a bit of a tingle, which gives tastebuds and palate a kick.

Very drinkable, would have this particular beverage over and over throughout my night.

Again, if you want to rid yourself of the BMC fare, Yuengling is really for you.

2.89/5  rDev -15%

A - Good color, nice honey color, but thats pretty much all I like about it. Not much head, and what there is doesn't last at all, and no lacing. The description of a 2 is perfect, not impressed.

S - Smell is pretty average. Mostly malts, with a little hops smell, but not much at all. Needs more hops to be considered at all balanced, and a more complex malt smell.

T - Same as the smell. Average, needs more hops or a more complex malt taste, or both.

M - Needs something, kinda like a very thin syrup as it is.

D - Just average, one or two of these its enough for me.

I've always heard how good this one is, and I gotta tell you, I just don't understand it. Its not bad, but its nothing special. Good for a change from the typical macro adjuncts, but not really any better, just a different style.

UPDATE - This one has grown on me in some respects. Still nothing great here, but compared to your other common macro brews, this one is a step ahead. It has become my go to beer when I'm on a budget and the bar special is something like dollar domestics.

3.6/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Poured from a can into a pint glass. Nice clear amber. Decent head. Leaves no lacing.

You can smell the malt. I can't tell you what kind of malt, or if there is anything other than malted barley in here. Barely perceptible hops. Richer smell than BMC.

Can taste malt, and the hops, but barely, as in the smell. To my taste buds this is clearly not a different style of beer from BMC. It's just better.

Mouthfeel is good. Appropriate carbonation for the style.

Easy to drink more than one, although I'm rarely in the mood for this style of lager. Clearly better than BMC.

3.4/5  rDev 0%

I've had this numerous times and finally decided I should sit down with one and review it.

A - A dark amber body...produced a 1.5 finger head that went away rather quickly...left no lacing

S - Nothing special here...some malty notes

T - The malts don't stick out as much as they do in the nose...but everything is well balanced in this lager

M - A little thin...crisp

D - Compared to those other "beers" this is the one that I'm always coming back to...sure glad I'm from PA

3.33/5  rDev -2.1%

This was my very first go-to beer before I knew anything about micros, crafts, lagers vs. ales, and so on.

Looks like your traditional macro lager but just a bit more golden and a bit darker. The head is on par with the style as well.

Smells fresh and mildly bitter, but nothing quite worth calling "hoppy."

The taste is crisp and refreshing. Traditional lager tastes are present such as barley and hops. Not very strong anywhere but the tastes seem to work in good harmony.

The mouthfeel is sharp and tingly at first, but smooth on the way down.

Overall, a pretty good beer to kick back with if you aren't looking to spend much and just want a basic lager. It fits the mold of the the American macros but it's a step above the others like Coors, Bud and Miller. If you're drinking American macro lager, drink this instead.

4.3/5  rDev +26.5%

Ok, as an Eastern Pennsylvanian I am biased in favor of this beer, but it has a great amber color, excellent drink ability and the flavor is home to me. It is simply the best utility beer on the market. Sure, it won't win many contests, but I love it.

3.6/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

I'm either finding to be true, or falling into the fallacy that cans are superior vessels for the packaging, transport, and storage of beer. Retainer-top cans don't need openers, seem to chill quicker, offer superior light protection, and are easily reduced for recycling. That said, I figured I'd give this poor left-behind-at-the-party-with-no-ride-home 12-ounce can of Yuengling a whirl, to examine that theory... well, no, that's just bullshit... I'm actually just doing it just because the beer was free and I'm bored...

The pop-top poured into a shaker pint glass yields a clear golden-amber body capped with two fingers of fluffy off-white foam. The head reduces in short order, collapsing into a lumpy sheet that sticks a few stray bits of lacing onto the glass.

The smell is spicy and dry with a crisp, crackery maltiness. A mild grassiness sweetens and freshens the aroma.

The taste is mild with a light, crisp, crackery maltiness accented by lightly spicy hops. Any bitterness is minimal at most, the hops doing their work in drying the diluted, mild-malt-syrupy cereal finish more than in some futile attempt to embolden this mild-mannered brew.

Crisp, refreshing, light-medium in body, well-carbonated, and highly drinkable. A good alternative to BMC if cans are your thing.

3.33/5  rDev -2.1%

Pours a crystal clear golden amber with a small soapy head that lingers as a ring and leaves no lacing. Little bubbles coming up from bottom.

Smells of light crystal malts and the faintest hint of earthy hops. Smells a bit like macro lager.

Taste is fair as well, with a little bit of hops of front before the sweetness of the light malts take over.

Mouthfeel is light to medium with good carb.

There are much worse beers out there and this is actually fairly drinkable.

Yuengling Traditional Lager from Yuengling Brewery