Yuengling Traditional Lager - Yuengling Brewery

Yuengling Brewery visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

American Amber / Red Lager |  4.40% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-28-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Yuengling Traditional Lager Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,584 | Hads: 5,740
3.43/5  rDev +0.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Draught from a fresh keg.

L: clear, Amber brown. Small, creamy head that went away fast.

S: sweet, biscuity malt. A bit of creamy vanilla and citrus, too.

T: biscuity malt with some light hops. Not too sweet, not too bitter. Pleasantly mild without being watery. Very clean.

F: light and bubbly. Crisp.

O: nice and easy sessionable American Amber lager that's relatively affordable and always easy to get. I really can't hate on it. (442 characters)

3.67/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

This used to be my go-to beer in college, but now that I've moved from Georgia to Missouri, I can no longer get Yuengling easily. After a few years not drinking this, I found trying it again refreshing. It is smooth but not bland, making it the type of beer I would want when I am not in the mood for anything in particular. (324 characters)

1.84/5  rDev -46%

This smelled and tasted like a skunks ass. Not sure if that is normal or not, either way I don't care because I would never have another. I can't think of any reason why anyone would choose this beer with so many better options out there. (239 characters)

4.21/5  rDev +23.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I am basing this beer off other macro lighter lagers out there. Had this on tap and it was very drinkable, didnt have that skunk/piss flavor that most of these lagers carry. Being from CA I dont have access to this so Im glad I got to try it (241 characters)

3.69/5  rDev +8.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

I'll never stop liking Yuengling as a good, inexpensive beer. It was my go-to in college before I started discovering craft beer, and it remains a beer I'll drink when it's available. (183 characters)

3.77/5  rDev +10.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

A: crystal clear; copper colored; 1 finger off white head that receded to a very thin collar; no lacing;

S: toffee, brown sugar;

T: all malt - toffee, brown sugar, toast; a bit of malt sweetness; virtually no bitterness until the very end and then it's pretty light;

M: medium bodied; moderate carbonation; smooth;

O: a nice example of the style; (350 characters)

3.34/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Thin head, no lacing. Light amber color. Aroma of a slightly skunky grain. Sweet tasting, slight hops and strong carbonation with a grainy & malty taste. Light bodied. Finishes sweet & easy. (190 characters)

2.76/5  rDev -19.1%

It's been a while since I drank a Yuengling. In my area of Pennsylvania, Yuengling is about as rare as soda. I used to drink a lot of it way back when, but as I grew older it just seemed... well, ordinary. And not all that good. But you know what, it's been a long time and here I am sitting in a crappy Olive Garden and the only stuff on tap is Blue Moon and Bud Light. So here... we ... go.

Yuengling on draught poured into a Pilsner glass:

Appearance: Actually not bad. A light copper color that refracts the light fairly well, with a thin white head that froths ever so slightly. There is some moderate carbonation on the surface, and delicate lacing travels along the side of the glass.

Aroma: Very metallic smelling, with some grassiness peeking through.

Taste: Rusty metal. Grainy water. Not much else.

Mouthfeel: Light to medium body, but extremely watery. Not a very pleasant mouthfeel. There is a bittersweet aftertaste that I thought was okay at the beginning, but by the end I could barely stand it anymore.

Overall: Well, it was not as bad as I thought it would be, but it wasn't really good either. The oldest brewery in America Yuengling might be, but in my humble opinion, there are so many better brews out there. I might try one again in a few years when I've mostly forgotten how mediocre it was, but I won't be coming back anytime soon. Well, unless I have no better choices, like I didn't have tonight. (1,443 characters)

3.6/5  rDev +5.6%

Similar to the other comments here, I used to drink this one a lot in my youth and before I got into craft beer. This is my first time drinking it since I've been rating on BA. A nice and refreshing beer. Very clean taste and crisp on the tongue. Not much via aroma; perhaps a slight malt. However the taste has a good deal of character. A very pleasant change of pace beer. (374 characters)

4.15/5  rDev +21.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 5

For 80 cents a can or $1 a bottle, you cannot find another beer better for the value. Yeah, it's a macro brew but if you just want to sit back and relax, I will go to this beer in a heartbeat any day over most the other macros out there.
The only downside about this beer - I feel bad about the people on the west coast who never get to experience it. (351 characters)

This is "my beer." It's my go-to, grab a six pack to enjoy an evening of beer drinking, beer.

I can't believe it is as good as it is. It TOTALLY DOMINATES the "mid-market" tier of beers, and kicks Miller/Bud/Coors/Old Style to the curb, down the street, and off into the river.

MARVELOUS flavor, color, balance, and depth. It's not a heavy beer by any means, but brings over just enough elements of those "bad boy" brews into an eminently drinkable and desirable beer.

It has this wonderful amber color that everyone is trying to copy. Rolling Rock has one, Bud Amber is another, and many more try to line this one up to compete on the same terms.

They all fail miserably. Yuengling Traditional Lager is the best tasting beer in this category that exits. While their other products are decent, this one takes the cake.

I give it a 4.25 because even though it is my favorite, I still reserve higher listings for truly perfect beers, like Sierra Nevada Pale Ale - the current dominant American Craft Masterpiece. (1,019 characters)

3.38/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 oz. Can

A: Pours crystal clear amber color with a large white head. The foam dies fast with just a thin layer left behind. lacing is pretty much absent.

S: Clean. Earthy. Some light grains.

T/M: Smooth and creamy. Malt sweetness and weak fruits. Hops are weak but do bring in a welcomed bitterness to help balance. Cascade hops? Grains. Metallic and sulfur taste. Semi-dry finish.

O: An honorable beer, nothing special. Pretty much what I expected from Americas oldest brewery. Weak on flavors but a step up from other mass produced beer. Tastes better straight out of the can or bottle.

Cheers! (606 characters)

3.25/5  rDev -4.7%

Will always get a 4 in my book because its the best beer for your price that money can buy. The bar I frequently go to and watch the Eagles play on Sundays sells $2 domestic beers, so my choices are Bud, Bud Lite, Miller Lite and Yuengling, its not even a question i take Yuengling. Always has that dark amber appearance, great smell, great taste and drinkablity where u can drink them all day long. Any time i complain about living in the NJ/PA area i always remember i have access to cheap Lager! (498 characters)

I'm very grateful that this beer has become a year-round delicacy in my state. A beer that's suitable for any season and is perfect when paired with a burger or a summertime cookout smorgasbord. A quality beer for $6 a sixer? You can't beat that. (246 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +24.6%

Yuengling beer is not meant to be a get drunk beer. Its meant to taste great. I go to department stores and can't always find something good in a case. Its always a 12 pack or 6 pack. I got a case of Samuel Adams, and the beer was to strong for me to like. Then there's the 36 packs for 20 dollars that don't have a good taste. Its like I have to force myself to drink. I like Yuengling because its in the middle. Kind of disappointed that there's not a lot of alcohol in it, but hey, for everything else, its good (514 characters)

3.49/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Dark orange amber color. Smell is a little hoppy. Sweetish malts. Medium carbonation. Taste is malty yet strong bold hop but not bitter. Have had many and will have many more in the future (188 characters)

Great beer if you're looking for a better taste than Coors, Miller, and Bud Light. I keep a stock of it in my fridge for grilling or just to watch football games. (162 characters)

3.91/5  rDev +14.7%

Looking forward to trying this amber. Thanks Kev (302BeerGuy)!

Appearance (3.75) : Two fingered head, pillowy looking. The body is amber-yellow tinted. Mostly transparent with about 30% opacity.

Aroma (3.75) : toasted malt, milled and roasted grain, a faint slight alcoholic bite, and also a faint hop smell. It reminds me of good ole Nordeast. Very roasty, clean smelling.

Taste (4) : Quick gripe - it's a bit watery, and I had to get that out of the way first. It's got a very malt-forward flavor with you guessed it, toasted grains and barley. Some faint hop is added at the end but it's not bitter, it's more...um, complex I guess.

Mouthfeel (3.25) : Watery, but a very faint underlying creaminess. Light bodied.

Overall (3.91) : If Yuengling traditional was sold over here in South Dakota, I'd probably be buying this regularly. It still doesn't beat out Grain Belt Nordeast, as it's a little more watery, less creamy. However, for what it is, it's a pretty darn good amber lager. (992 characters)

Yuengling is simply the best domestic beer available, regardless of can, bottle, or keg. Yuengling is a standby for all those that just want a good lager. (155 characters)

3.43/5  rDev +0.6%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

Perfect session beer. Enough flavor to make it worth drinking. But cheap and easy to pound. I always try to keep Yuengling's in the fridge at all times, good beer for when guests come over. Nobody doesn't like Yuengling and it's cheap. (235 characters)

This is the best Amber Lager I have ever had, and possibly the best lager period. The flavor profile is exceptional and very drinkable. There is nothing offensive or unpleasant about this brew.

Would absolutely seek out and purchase again. Unfortunately it is not sold in the Midwest. I will get it every chance I get though. (326 characters)

3.2/5  rDev -6.2%

Floral, slightly caramelly sweet malt aroma, with notes of toasted bread. There's a metallic note, along with light green apple. Flavor reveals that metallic note, acetaldehyde, and banana, underlying throughout. Toasted notes dominate the finish. Upfront, there's a light caramel sweetness. Lots of off flavors, but more characterful than most macros. (352 characters)

A decent lager, a traditional beer for PA, has a good taste, but the after taste will get you, it isn't very bold or heavy so you can enjoy more than a few at a time.
Walk into any bar in Philly or surrounding areas and say "get me a lager" and this is what you'll get. (269 characters)

3.5/5  rDev +2.6%

Wasn't expecting much when I tried this.

Poured from a can into a glass.. Nice light brown color. No real remarkable notes in the scent.

Was pleased with the taste. Light, and crisp, caramel malts front and center. Very light hop profile, but detectable. Slightly sweet, a good accompaniment to a meal.

Pleasantly surprised! (328 characters)

3.75/5  rDev +10%

In the areas it's available, this is an excellent alternative to the BMC lagers. It's cheap, easy to find, and pleasant enough to make for a good drinkable go-to in that region. (177 characters)

Yuengling Traditional Lager from Yuengling Brewery