Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Yuengling Traditional Lager - Yuengling Brewery

Yuengling Traditional LagerYuengling Traditional Lager

Yuengling Brewery visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

American Amber / Red Lager |  4.40% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-28-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Yuengling Traditional Lager Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,605 | Hads: 5,799
4.11/5  rDev +20.5%

It's the only beer I drink at parties or when I'm tailgating. I have noticed I don't really like it when it's super ice cold, I prefer it when its cold. I also like drinking the large cans over the bottle. (205 characters)

4.22/5  rDev +23.8%

Pours a nice copper color off white head very bready smell light malty taste with a little bit of bitterness not over powering though overall I pretty good beer for the price (174 characters)

look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

Let's face it, you're not getting Yuengling because you're feeling fancy and are trying to impress your friends. This is on the same level of Bud-light, but heads the pack wielding the flaming torch of what a mass-produced beer should be. It's not going to knock your socks off, and it won't pretend it will. It just wants you to have a good time and have an easy time downing it.

This is the beer that made me want to start drinking beer. If you have never had this beer on tap and are having it out of the bottles you are missing out. It has a beautiful bronze glow with a finger of angel-food-cake color head that will dab your nose on the first gulp. Best looking beer in my opinion.

The smell is nothing too notable. You might smell citrus, orange or lemon depending on your preference. This is what makes it American. We love our citrus. You will notice that it's very light. You won't really be blown away by anything here.

As I said above, this beer isn't out to impress your arts-major friends. If, however, you have a draft selection of Bud Light, Budweiser, blue moon, and Yuengling, you're going to pick this one. It blends the American lager tastes together to create something that is, quite simply, easy to pallet. Again, there are notes of citrus, and a something else I can never quite put my finger on in the after taste that brings me thoughts of late spring. Almost metallic, but much nicer than that makes it sound. Schlafly, budweiser, and Blue Moon can't touch this one.

As most American beers are, this one is focused on you drinking a LOT. It is really easy to do so, as it has the consistency of a Sprite, but that suits the ends that it is trying to achieve. Again, not going to knock your socks off.

Overall, Yuengling is a class-act American style beer. I have graded this beer on what its purpose is, as I think is only fair. It's a damn-sight better than budweiser, and it should be recognized as such. If I ever get some foreign friends together I'm taking them to Quaker-Steak & Lube and we're getting a Lube-Tube of Yuengling. THAT is what this beer is to me. Of course it's for easy drinking. It has an easy-open cap for crying out loud. No bottle-opener required, and that's for a good reason. (2,235 characters)

3.46/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Had this on 2015-03-24 in Columbia, PA from a 12 oz bottle.

A - Clear amber with a short white head and light lace

S - Very bready with mild but sweet, earthy spice.

T - Bread, caramel, grass, light herbal finish with just a bit of bitterness.

M - Light-medium body and medium-high carbonation. Dries nicely.

O - Very familiar but hadn't had one in years. It was refreshing. Not bad for a sessionable, cheap beer. (422 characters)

4.21/5  rDev +23.5%

12 ounce bottle poured into a pint glass. Pours a clear dark copper/brown color with a cream-colored sudsy head that dissipates rather quickly. Minimal lacing detected. Good looking pour. Nothing too strong on the nose with some caramel and roasted corn, a little bit of barley husk. Taste is surprisingly complex given the weak nose. Immediately picked up the sweetness of the beer with caramel and nuttiness. This gave way to floral notes of apple and pear followed by some pleasant bitterness that gave it a clean, crisp finish. Flavors are well crafted. Great bang for the buck. (591 characters)

3.68/5  rDev +7.9%

12 ounce can into lager glass, canned on 12/11/2014. Pours slightly hazy orange/copper color with a 1 finger fairly dense off white head with good retention, that reduces to a small cap that lingers. Light spotty lacing clings on the glass. Aromas of caramel, toast, bread, brown sugar, light nuttiness, pear, apple, herbal, floral, grass, and yeast earthiness. Nice and pleasant aromas with good balance dark/toasted malt, earthy hops, and light yeast ester notes; with solid strength. Taste of caramel, toast, bread, brown sugar, light nuttiness, apple, pear, herbal, floral, grass, and yeast earthiness. Minimal herbal bitterness on the finish; with lingering notes of caramel, toast, bread, brown sugar, light nuttiness, herbal, floral, grass, and yeast earthiness on the finish for a short bit. Nice robustness and balance of dark/toasted malt, earthy hops, and light yeast ester flavors; with zero cloying flavors after the finish. Fairly clean for a lager, there is some fruitiness present, but not too much. Medium carbonation and light-medium bodied; with a very smooth, crisp, and lightly creamy/bready mouthfeel that is nice. Alcohol is well hidden with zero warming present after the finish as expected of 4.4%. Overall this is a nice Vienna lager style. All around good robustness and balance of dark/toasted malt, earthy hops, and light yeast ester flavors; and very smooth and crisp to drink. A nicely enjoyable offering. (1,436 characters)

3.47/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Look is a rich amber color. Smells of a sweet roasted caramel malt. Well balanced taste of a old-style larger. Feel is medium-bodied and quite drinkable. Overall, this is my go-to beer at most eateries if they don't have any better medium-bodied import (it seems to be available everywhere except pool-halls for some reason) and one of the few mainstream American Largers I'll drink (along with Sam Adams). (406 characters)

4.11/5  rDev +20.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

My go-to bargain beer. A golden tanned color, with a light hoppy taste makes this beer go down smooth. Definitely a great beer I would recommend to anyone. (157 characters)

3.42/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Nice clear amber color. The head is foamy and fleeting with some lacing. Grains along with some adjuncts in both the flavor and smell. Minimal hopping noted. Very smooth mouth feel although just a bit an the watery side. Very good carbonation level makes for easy drinking. For an expensive adjunct lager this is a pretty decent beer that is great after a day working outside or while working the BBQ. (407 characters)

2.87/5  rDev -15.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

If your palate has not been manipulated at this point, then this standard lager is pretty much as good as it gets in the Macro world. Drinks must better than most American lagers. (179 characters)

2.75/5  rDev -19.4%
look: 2 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Seems to be the beer of choice for other fellas to pick up during hockey tournaments, or at least for the last few. Sitting at the hotel, BS'ing about the days events isnt' the best time to crack open a ton of crafty brew. So instead I'll join in on this limp nosed yet grainy on the malt lager. Mouthfeel is a little to think to be considered crisp in my opinion and works as a governor for drinking far better than light beers. (429 characters)

2.71/5  rDev -20.5%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

I have to give a review because my rating was too low. I mean, it's better than your Bud, Coors or Miller....but not by much. It's the go to beer, when you don't want to drink good beer. (186 characters)

4.18/5  rDev +22.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Since I live about 45 min. from where it's made, every bar around has Yuengling Lager on tap,and at a good price. It's normally referred to as "Lager" I.E.(I'll have a Lager please.) I'ts a really good overall beer, lots of flavor, goes well with most food. Definitely a good go to beer! (287 characters)

3.11/5  rDev -8.8%

We poured this beer from the bottle into generic tasting pints. It appeared a glowing amber coloring and held a quarter finger head of bright white bubbles. This retained only briefly before disappearing into a singular ring of lacing circumferentially. No haze or sediment was noted, and carbonation appeared to be active and pervasive. The aroma was a blend of Styrofoam plastics, celery salt, label adhesive, pale and chalked wheaty graininess, filthy glass, white sugar, printer ink, wet white rice, raw garbanzo and navy beans, amber and crystal malts, raw but hot and melty plastics, and heavily metallic cereal grain grit. Following simply through the taste were notes of big toasty amber, caramel, and pale grain, crystal dust, wet wheatiness, chemical and Magic Marker phenols, raw vanilla extract, fresh cotton, hot corn, oat, lime rind, coiny metallics, smoky Spam water, savory yeastiness, adjuncty corn, and whey flour. The body was medium, but full stylistically, and the carbonation was medium. Heavy slurp and smack accompanied each sip, but this transitioned poorly to cream or froth. The mouth was left coated and wet, with little more to speak of. The abv was appropriate, and the beer sipped fine.

Overall, for some reason, people love this beer. At least amongst more commercial drinkers, and especially those hailing from any corner of Pennsylvania, people can’t seem to get enough. I guess you’ve gotta root for the home-team, right?! Ehh. For your more craft-tilted consumer, you will find little to hang your hat from in either major area, from aroma to taste. This is your classic, basic, simple adjuncty beer, with a slightly danker and toasty twinge due to its “amber” background. Thinking honestly here, most of you reading this have probably had a Yuengling or two in your day, as it is certainly a stepping stone into the craft realm. Having rated everything else available at our hotel bar in Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania, we took this as a rating nightcap, as we’d realized we hadn’t yet written it up yet. We’ll probably grab this at a wedding if there is nothing better to drink, be it either malted beverages or spirits, but it otherwise won’t soon meet our palate. (2,233 characters)

3.5/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Shared a pitcher while bowling. This really isn't a bad beer at all, considering the style. I'm not going to go into depth describing this one, but it's way better than BMC options. It's a great choice when the options are very limited. (236 characters)

3.25/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Pours clear, amber color. Almost no head. Smoky-citrus aroma. Malty flavor that's not too heavy. Slight lacing. This beer is good, and I drink it often since it's widely available in my area. However there's a malty aftertaste which I find undesirable, so I can't rate this one too highly. (295 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +32%

Old faithful here. Used to be my "everyday" beer and were it not for a more curious beer appetite, probably still would be. Easy to drink, tastes much better than anything coming out of St. Louis or Milwaukee. (209 characters)

4.01/5  rDev +17.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

pours with a decent head about 2 fingers compared to most craft beers of the type the smell and flavor are kind of mild and less then you would expect but are both very good none the less.
there are not a ton of different flavors to decipher as you drink this one it is just a good simple smooth drinking beer that can be bought most places for pretty close to the cost of cheaper light beers. (394 characters)

3.54/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

12 oz bottle, poured into a pint glass

Appearance: Pours a clear, mahogany color, with a quarter of a finger of white-colored head that completely dissolved away into no head what-so-ever.

Aroma: Pretty nice aromas of toasted malt, caramel and brown sugar, black pepper, a touch of some floral, piney hops. There is also a touch of vinegar in the aroma too. Is that normal, or sis this beer skunky? I don’t remember this vinegar aroma before, but maybe I just never paid attention to it before.

Taste: Pretty good. Nice flavors of toasted malt and caramel-like sweetness, blended with some adjunct flavors of corn, finished with a touch of hops.

Mouthfeel: Medium/medium-thin, with practically no carbonation what-so-ever. With an ABV of 4.4%, there is no alcohol on the palate.

Overall: This is an decent beer, one that I enjoy, with decent, non-offensive, but not great either flavors of toasted malt, corn and caramel-like sweetness. It’s a good gateway into craft beer, beer, a good golf course beer, a good tailgate beer, and a good non-BMC restaurant beer. I’ll never turn one down, but I’m not picking up a six to bring home either. (1,164 characters)

3.31/5  rDev -2.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Felt like having a beer or two and some food that wasn't made in my kitchen today, so I went to the local Italian place. They were closed, so instead I ended up getting a couple of the new ham and cheese sandwich from Burger King and also a big ol' 24-ounce can of Yuengling from the gas station store next door.

Pours a little lighter than I remember from the bottled version, but once it's in the glass it starts looking more familiar--a light brown, maybe a little orangey? More head than I remember getting out of the bottled version, also--rather than the manageable amount that faded away pretty quickly, I got a huge fluffy head that filled up 2/3 of the glass on its own and/ had to wait a bit to shrink somewhat before I could fill the glass the rest of the way. No visible bubbles rising up from the bottom of the glass with this one, though.

Smells... well, a bit funky to be honest. Not awful, but there's something going on here that weirdly reminds me of a hair salon; I don't remember noticing that particular smell when I've had Yuengling before, though I do remember not liking the smell as much as the taste. Like with the Yuengling Black & Tan, smell is definitely the weakest point, though I think this one smells nicer.

Taste--it's bready! Just like I remember it being before. Not amazing with a half-dozen interesting flavors jumping out at you like some of the beers I've had since my last Yuengling, but definitely not bad at all. Taste doesn't hang around long after you swallow, and neither food nor the beer interfere with each other much, which is always a plus for something I chose to drink with a meal. I actually think this might be a little better than I remember the bottled version being, interestingly... I guess a difference between opaque can and somewhat-light-permitting green bottle? Or maybe just a freshness thing, if the big cans go quicker than the bottles or something.

Feel is good for the most part; pretty smooth, goes down easy, feeling just a little watery at the end but not to the point where it's offputting or anything. I remember the carbonation bugging me a little previous times I had this beer, but didn't notice any of that tonight, so either that's another bottle/can difference or I've just gotten more used to beer carbonation since then.

Overall, this is a simple but tasty lager that's available damn near everywhere for the same price you'd pay for something like Budweiser or Miller Lite (or even less, in some cases) without the "I'm giving money to a soulless worldwide megacorporation" guilt you might feel from buying one of those beers. Even if it's not one of your favorites, you have to appreciate that there's decent beer available at a great price. I was a little afraid I wouldn't like this one as much after trying some of the great beers I've stumbled across in the past month or so, but it turns out I had nothing to worry about--if anything, I might actually appreciate Yuengling's traditional lager a little more now than I did back before I'd tried more exotic beers like Belgian dubbels and IPAs. The only thing I'd ever change about this one is the smell, because... yeah, that's a bit funky. Now, off to finish the rest of this huge can! (3,245 characters)

3.43/5  rDev +0.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Draught from a fresh keg.

L: clear, Amber brown. Small, creamy head that went away fast.

S: sweet, biscuity malt. A bit of creamy vanilla and citrus, too.

T: biscuity malt with some light hops. Not too sweet, not too bitter. Pleasantly mild without being watery. Very clean.

F: light and bubbly. Crisp.

O: nice and easy sessionable American Amber lager that's relatively affordable and always easy to get. I really can't hate on it. (442 characters)

3.67/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

This used to be my go-to beer in college, but now that I've moved from Georgia to Missouri, I can no longer get Yuengling easily. After a few years not drinking this, I found trying it again refreshing. It is smooth but not bland, making it the type of beer I would want when I am not in the mood for anything in particular. (324 characters)

1.84/5  rDev -46%

This smelled and tasted like a skunks ass. Not sure if that is normal or not, either way I don't care because I would never have another. I can't think of any reason why anyone would choose this beer with so many better options out there. (239 characters)

4.21/5  rDev +23.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I am basing this beer off other macro lighter lagers out there. Had this on tap and it was very drinkable, didnt have that skunk/piss flavor that most of these lagers carry. Being from CA I dont have access to this so Im glad I got to try it (241 characters)

3.69/5  rDev +8.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

I'll never stop liking Yuengling as a good, inexpensive beer. It was my go-to in college before I started discovering craft beer, and it remains a beer I'll drink when it's available. (183 characters)

Yuengling Traditional Lager from Yuengling Brewery