Yuengling Traditional Lager - Yuengling Brewery

Yuengling Brewery visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

American Amber / Red Lager |  4.40% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-28-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Yuengling Traditional Lager Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,619 | Hads: 5,925
2.58/5  rDev -23.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

I'm supposed to justify this? What? I thought this part was optional? I guess it's okay. It's decent "go to the store for a weekend of drinking," beer. Nothing really that stunning, just "okay."

3.32/5  rDev -1.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

Had on tap at Shadrach's at The Heritage in Southbury, CT

Appearance - Served up in a pint, this brew is crstal clear and copper in color with a thin, broken layer of white head.

Smell - Dextrin malt sweetness with a faint caramel undertone. Nothing in the way of hops on the nose.

Taste - Follows the nose. Dextrin sweetness with a faint caramel undertone. Distant hop spice in the finish. Almost leaves a wheaty, milky aftertaste, akin to some witbiers.

Mouthfeel - Near medium in body with moderate, bitey carbonation. Crisp, semi-dry finish.

Overall - Well, it's not quite what I expected, but in many ways it is. Huh? Say nothing to no one! It wasn't a priority for me to try this, but figured I might as well while I had the chance. All in all, not bad, but nothing I'd care to try again.

2.88/5  rDev -14.5%

I used to really like Yuengling and I don't dislike now. It just doesn't have the full taste I've become used to. It's still much better than the most, if not all, of the big boys.

3.45/5  rDev +2.4%

A simple, great tasting beer that is a great choice when your wallet is light. It's also a great choice in general. Much like how you sometimes just want a simple cup of black coffee, this hits the spot when you just want a no frills lager.

3.28/5  rDev -2.7%

A staple before I moved to New England where it is much harder to find. Not a great beer, but definitely a great value beer and better than most mass-produced domestic lagers.

3.31/5  rDev -1.8%

Yuengling is a party staple. It's agreeable to most palates and sessionable with mates.
This amber beer is a common taste of my smaller hometown, an ode to the late night ragers of youth; but as with all things we must outgrow it. It's an American Classic, which could be seen as the best of the worst as has been stated before. I believe it should be an easy convert from anyone on the Budweiser, Coors, Miller, or Michelob party trains for someone who likes drinking beer and socializing. Then again at that point it's a matter of preference or affiliation.
If Budweiser is the GM of American beers, than Yuengling is Ford, a family affair.
Not a terrible thing to have on standby at an unfamiliar pub or restaurant when nothing else seems appealing, though not much beyond that. A toast to mediocrity! If you pay more than $2.00 a bottle I would rethink the choice. Pay the extra few for a nice craft beer at dinner, you'll not regret it.

2.84/5  rDev -15.7%

For longer than I have been leagally able to enjoy beer, people in my town refer to beer as all inclusively consisting of 1 of 2 options: "Lager or Premium" with both referring to Yuengling.

Cult-like brand loyalty and historical reference are the only things this beer has going for it. If I am forced to drink a macro brewed beer...or an adjunct laden lager, I will force this down with a fake smile on my face as to not offend the locals. Brace yourself for the inevitable headache even if you drink just one.

3.5/5  rDev +3.9%

When I want something lighter and readily available on the cheap this is what I go to. Anyone who's a Bud fan should be turned on to this to get them off the swill for life. Light and refreshing enough for a summer's day yet still all the flavor of a decent lager.

2.52/5  rDev -25.2%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I used to look forward to out-of-state trips where I could drink this. (I lived in MIchigan most of my life where this is not available to purchase). Now that I've been in Ohio over a year, the novelty has already passed. This is still a decent beer if I want something cheap and simple, I like it better than most of its peers, but I'm not as excited about it as I once was.

Not craft beer, not supposed to be craft beer, but if I find myself at a binge drinking, beer-guzzling party, a case of this is a fairly good choice.

3.21/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

I've heard plenty about this beer, so I was very excited to give it a whirl during my trip to NYC. I can't complain about the value of this beer. It's well crafted, yet well priced. I thought it was better on tap than out of the can, but it was far from the worst thing I've tasted.

3.21/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

decent middle of the road budget beer. it's darker than most largers i am familiar with, but doesn't get into sam adams territory as much as looks in that general direction. tastes are watered, but sweet and floral with moderate carbonation. doesn't have that chemical overhead that so many commodity beers do.

i can recommend it as a staple beer and to have for guests when not able to shell out a ton. also a bit on the low alcohol side for me, but that can be very apropos for a lunch beverage or one that you don't want hanging around too long.

1.19/5  rDev -64.7%
look: 1.25 | smell: 1 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.25

The color of this beer is so deceiving, since it's an amber color, you would think that this beer will not be watery, but it is watery, so I assume, and there are rumors that this brewery is using lots of caramel color or FD&C red #40 artificial food coloring to deceive their customers into thinking that they're drinking a richer or fuller tasting beer, which doesn't taste better than other beers that are even lower priced than Yuengling TL. The taste of this beer, well, how should I put it, if you drink Samuel Adams Boston lager and then pee it out, then your piss will probably taste like Yuengling Traditional Lager, but, oh well, to each his own.

2.23/5  rDev -33.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

Had on tap and in bottle far too many times.

How does the joke go.... 'You know you're from Pennsylvania when you think that Yuengling is premium beer'. So... what more can I really say about it? For a mass produced lager (craft in name only) it's probably at the top of the heap (I'm looking at you Budweiser, Miller, Coors, etc.) but it's certainly nothing to write home about. It has the virtue of being cheap and readily available in the northeast, and it's a step above the swill. That being said... I'd probably rather drink water.

4.11/5  rDev +22%

It's the only beer I drink at parties or when I'm tailgating. I have noticed I don't really like it when it's super ice cold, I prefer it when its cold. I also like drinking the large cans over the bottle.

4.22/5  rDev +25.2%

Pours a nice copper color off white head very bready smell light malty taste with a little bit of bitterness not over powering though overall I pretty good beer for the price

4.21/5  rDev +24.9%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

Let's face it, you're not getting Yuengling because you're feeling fancy and are trying to impress your friends. This is on the same level of Bud-light, but heads the pack wielding the flaming torch of what a mass-produced beer should be. It's not going to knock your socks off, and it won't pretend it will. It just wants you to have a good time and have an easy time downing it.

This is the beer that made me want to start drinking beer. If you have never had this beer on tap and are having it out of the bottles you are missing out. It has a beautiful bronze glow with a finger of angel-food-cake color head that will dab your nose on the first gulp. Best looking beer in my opinion.

The smell is nothing too notable. You might smell citrus, orange or lemon depending on your preference. This is what makes it American. We love our citrus. You will notice that it's very light. You won't really be blown away by anything here.

As I said above, this beer isn't out to impress your arts-major friends. If, however, you have a draft selection of Bud Light, Budweiser, blue moon, and Yuengling, you're going to pick this one. It blends the American lager tastes together to create something that is, quite simply, easy to pallet. Again, there are notes of citrus, and a something else I can never quite put my finger on in the after taste that brings me thoughts of late spring. Almost metallic, but much nicer than that makes it sound. Schlafly, budweiser, and Blue Moon can't touch this one.

As most American beers are, this one is focused on you drinking a LOT. It is really easy to do so, as it has the consistency of a Sprite, but that suits the ends that it is trying to achieve. Again, not going to knock your socks off.

Overall, Yuengling is a class-act American style beer. I have graded this beer on what its purpose is, as I think is only fair. It's a damn-sight better than budweiser, and it should be recognized as such. If I ever get some foreign friends together I'm taking them to Quaker-Steak & Lube and we're getting a Lube-Tube of Yuengling. THAT is what this beer is to me. Of course it's for easy drinking. It has an easy-open cap for crying out loud. No bottle-opener required, and that's for a good reason.

3.46/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Had this on 2015-03-24 in Columbia, PA from a 12 oz bottle.

A - Clear amber with a short white head and light lace

S - Very bready with mild but sweet, earthy spice.

T - Bread, caramel, grass, light herbal finish with just a bit of bitterness.

M - Light-medium body and medium-high carbonation. Dries nicely.

O - Very familiar but hadn't had one in years. It was refreshing. Not bad for a sessionable, cheap beer.

4.21/5  rDev +24.9%

12 ounce bottle poured into a pint glass. Pours a clear dark copper/brown color with a cream-colored sudsy head that dissipates rather quickly. Minimal lacing detected. Good looking pour. Nothing too strong on the nose with some caramel and roasted corn, a little bit of barley husk. Taste is surprisingly complex given the weak nose. Immediately picked up the sweetness of the beer with caramel and nuttiness. This gave way to floral notes of apple and pear followed by some pleasant bitterness that gave it a clean, crisp finish. Flavors are well crafted. Great bang for the buck.

3.68/5  rDev +9.2%

12 ounce can into lager glass, canned on 12/11/2014. Pours slightly hazy orange/copper color with a 1 finger fairly dense off white head with good retention, that reduces to a small cap that lingers. Light spotty lacing clings on the glass. Aromas of caramel, toast, bread, brown sugar, light nuttiness, pear, apple, herbal, floral, grass, and yeast earthiness. Nice and pleasant aromas with good balance dark/toasted malt, earthy hops, and light yeast ester notes; with solid strength. Taste of caramel, toast, bread, brown sugar, light nuttiness, apple, pear, herbal, floral, grass, and yeast earthiness. Minimal herbal bitterness on the finish; with lingering notes of caramel, toast, bread, brown sugar, light nuttiness, herbal, floral, grass, and yeast earthiness on the finish for a short bit. Nice robustness and balance of dark/toasted malt, earthy hops, and light yeast ester flavors; with zero cloying flavors after the finish. Fairly clean for a lager, there is some fruitiness present, but not too much. Medium carbonation and light-medium bodied; with a very smooth, crisp, and lightly creamy/bready mouthfeel that is nice. Alcohol is well hidden with zero warming present after the finish as expected of 4.4%. Overall this is a nice Vienna lager style. All around good robustness and balance of dark/toasted malt, earthy hops, and light yeast ester flavors; and very smooth and crisp to drink. A nicely enjoyable offering.

3.47/5  rDev +3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Look is a rich amber color. Smells of a sweet roasted caramel malt. Well balanced taste of a old-style larger. Feel is medium-bodied and quite drinkable. Overall, this is my go-to beer at most eateries if they don't have any better medium-bodied import (it seems to be available everywhere except pool-halls for some reason) and one of the few mainstream American Largers I'll drink (along with Sam Adams).

4.11/5  rDev +22%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

My go-to bargain beer. A golden tanned color, with a light hoppy taste makes this beer go down smooth. Definitely a great beer I would recommend to anyone.

3.42/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Nice clear amber color. The head is foamy and fleeting with some lacing. Grains along with some adjuncts in both the flavor and smell. Minimal hopping noted. Very smooth mouth feel although just a bit an the watery side. Very good carbonation level makes for easy drinking. For an expensive adjunct lager this is a pretty decent beer that is great after a day working outside or while working the BBQ.

2.87/5  rDev -14.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

If your palate has not been manipulated at this point, then this standard lager is pretty much as good as it gets in the Macro world. Drinks must better than most American lagers.

2.75/5  rDev -18.4%
look: 2 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Seems to be the beer of choice for other fellas to pick up during hockey tournaments, or at least for the last few. Sitting at the hotel, BS'ing about the days events isnt' the best time to crack open a ton of crafty brew. So instead I'll join in on this limp nosed yet grainy on the malt lager. Mouthfeel is a little to think to be considered crisp in my opinion and works as a governor for drinking far better than light beers.

2.71/5  rDev -19.6%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

I have to give a review because my rating was too low. I mean, it's better than your Bud, Coors or Miller....but not by much. It's the go to beer, when you don't want to drink good beer.

Yuengling Traditional Lager from Yuengling Brewery