1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Yuengling Traditional Lager - Yuengling Brewery

Yuengling Traditional LagerYuengling Traditional Lager

good

Yuengling Brewery visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

American Amber / Red Lager |  4.40% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-28-2001)
View: Beers (10) |  Events
Ratings: 4,095 | Reviews: 1,462 | Show All Ratings:
Tr0janSlay3r

3.39/5  rDev -0.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Yuengling is one of my favorite cheap lets drink kind of beers that is brewed locally in PA. I poured this beer out of the can into a pint glass. However on the can it said that it is America's oldest brewery and I am very excited to review it.

Appearance- This beer is a light amber brown color that is definitely see through. The head of this beer had a one finger height but dissipated very quickly. I actually thought this beer was more of an amber color but it is very light brown.

Smell- This beer has a nice roasted hops smell with a bit of a grain scent to it. There is a faint clean smell to it with just a little crisp sense to it. I do smell a little bit of corn which I did expect from this lager.

Taste- This beer goes down incredibly smooth. The after taste is the best part of this beer even as an american lager. I can taste the grains and corn very distinctly. With each swallow there is just a bit of spiciness and bite to it. It is not over powering whatsoever, however it does have its fair share of flavors.

Mouthfeel- This beer is very watery in the mouth. It does however leave a little bit of a "coating" presence which is really unique and impressive from this micro,macro brew. Yuengling is not so watery as a regular adjunct lager but its not as heavy as anything darker.

Overall, as I stated previously I do thoroughly enjoy this beer when having some with my friends. It is certainly not one of the best beers I have had, rather it is my go to drink a lot and have a good night beer. I personally know many people who are not into craft beer who really enjoy this beer. I highly recommend it to anyone. CHEERS!

07-28-2013 23:00:17 | More by Tr0janSlay3r
BeerZack

3.3/5  rDev -3.2%

Mostly sweet caramel and malt on the nose, with a tinge of banana and cheap beer smell. Maybe a tiny hint of roast as well. Fairly layered and “complex” for a beer in the cheap-ass lager category. The flavor here seems somewhat lacking compared to what the nose offers. There is only a small bit of that sweet caramel up front, but that flavor soon turns to a slightly sour cardboard impression that lasts throughout the lengthy finish.

07-16-2013 04:35:06 | More by BeerZack
CloudStrife

3.43/5  rDev +0.6%

24oz can poured a few times into a small snifter.

A: Pours a clear darkish amber with an average off white head that sticks around for a minute or two. Just a bit of visible carbonation. Some lacing.

S: Sweet malt blended with a bready cracker like character. Not really much of a hop profile.

T: Non offensive mostly malt beer. Sort of sweet but not overly. Perhaps a touch of hopping to even it out but you'd have to search. Sweet malts come out more as it warms.

M: Light body with good carbonation. Easy drinking. Clean finish.

Overall one of the best to choose in my area for a cheap beer. Is not a very flavorful beer but that keeps it light and doesnt taste bad.

07-16-2013 02:01:25 | More by CloudStrife
Ed_Sandy

When you first crack open a can of yeungling traditional lager you hear the hiss of the carbonation escaping into fresh air. The tightly sealed sacred nectar awaiting. The thick foamy lager is a must for any season. Upon taking your first sip you can feel the carbonation tart your tounge in sourness. Overall it's a great beer. While not a summer craft or seasonal Sam Adams it tops my list as #3 of my all time favorite summer beers.

07-09-2013 04:49:52 | More by Ed_Sandy
ahommell

Mississippi

4.16/5  rDev +22%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.25

A: Beautiful color. Amber. Looks inviting. Slight head. Little lacing. Lots of carbonation.

S: Sweet at first sip. Goes down easy. Does leave a more metallic aftertaste than that of some other beers.

T: Not disappointed at all. It is better than most Lagers in its category. I can really taste the water, but it is almost tangy. Hops aren't strong until the very last part of the sip.

M: Oh this beer feels amazing. If other beers in this category felt like this, they wouldnt have a bad name. Carbonation is high, but then it smooths out and just glides all the way back. Only disagreement with me is the very last part has an interestingly odd after taste.

O: Not sure why others have rated it so low. I believe that anyone that is west of the lucky states that get it, see it as such a rarity that it is a delicacy. Well, I'm here to tell you I have been having it for about three years now... and it is one of my favorites.

07-03-2013 01:33:00 | More by ahommell
Lungman

Alabama

3.09/5  rDev -9.4%

This beer is like sitting in the cheap seats at World Series game 7. It is what it is. You get to be there but part of you wishes you had just watched it from your old recliner. Ok taste, real easy to drink, but no "character". Will I drink it again, ya I love beer. Am I counting the hours down until then, nope.

06-15-2013 07:43:07 | More by Lungman
bamadog

Kentucky

3.58/5  rDev +5%

I've been drinking this beer for 20 years and it was pretty much all we drank in college, and I can't believe I've never reviewed it. But hey, I'll take the opportunity now. Review is from notes taken on 5/22/2013 and poured from can to a pint glass.

Appearance: Fairly dark coppery color as expected, near perfect clarity, moderately strong carbonation bubbling up to a thin wispy and incomplete skim of a head. Head died down really quickly and leaves now trace of lacing, and I know my glass is clean, so that's one of the only faults I can find with the appearance. Solid and looks like it should.

Smell: Grainy and a little toasty, slightly sweet corn. I mean, there's not a lot going on here, but it's clean and simple, and there's nothing wrong with that.

Taste: See smell. Pretty much matches it to a T. It's nothing that's ever going to blow anyone's mind, and it's probably best enjoyed while riding around on a lawn mower, but when the 12 pack is less than 10 bucks, you can't go wrong.

Mouthfeel: Pretty good, really. Body is light (compared to most beers I drink) and it's crisp and refreshing. Doesn't linger, doesn't coat, doesn't leave any nasty aftertastes.

Overall: Like mentioned earlier, it's never going to rock anyone's world or make any top beer lists, but sometimes simple and cheap is all that's necessary for a night of enjoyment. Take something for what it is and be realistic, and you too can enjoy the simple things in life.

05-23-2013 01:28:44 | More by bamadog
lwillitz

3.54/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

12-oz can into Samuel Smith "Tulip" pint glass

A - big off-white head over a transparent body of amber, lots of visible carbonation at first

S - herbal and grassy, toasty malt

T - toasty/grainy malt with light sweetness, grassy, herbal hops, citrus; dry finish

M - slick medium body, high carbonation

O - Nothing special going on in the nose or feel, but decent flavor if you're in the mood for something simple and inexpensive.

05-09-2013 20:16:10 | More by lwillitz
screamking

3.63/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

12oz can poured into pint glass.

When poured hard, you get a thick khaki head with a very nice amber color. Your smells here are the typical lager notes, I have yet to find a lager that deviates strongly from this aroma profile.

The taste is sweet and the feel is rather creamy. Small bitter hop notes but mostly sweet. I wouldn't say this is the best beer, or even top 25% beer. But for your dollar I wouldn't put much ahead of this. A 12 pack for 10 bucks... All day long.

04-24-2013 00:12:16 | More by screamking
ElCommodoro

4.78/5  rDev +40.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

I am so glad I picked this up at the last minute on my way out of Florida. I really wish they would distribute it outside of the East Coast.
I was wondering how an adjunct lager could be so amazing and now I know: it's not one. It's an amber lager, of course. Still, it's quite delicious. Hits the spot impeccably if you're craving a real good lager-style taste. Perfect maltiness, sweetness, and mild bitterness. It even has a kiss of fruitiness to it. This is really great stuff in my opinion. Just the absolute perfect middle-of-the-road mix of lager flavours. You'd be hard-pressed to make something more delicious while remaining so incredibly refreshing. I am getting more and more jealous of the east coast.

03-22-2013 06:31:29 | More by ElCommodoro
lordbrad1

2.1/5  rDev -38.4%

I'm with many others on this one. I bought this tonight as my treat for Friday night. I don't do a lot of drinking these days, but I still have a deep love of beer. So when it's one of those occasions where I treat myself to something I want it to be good....this was not.

I really like the color of this beer; it's a deep gold/amber. It LOOKS like it should taste good. However, after pouring it, I turned around to grab my cigarettes out of my vest and by the time I turned back around the head was gone as if it had never been there to being with. No lacing, no nothing, just gone. If I hadn't just poured I'd swear it's a beer that's been left to sit over night. There's no carbonation bubbles, and it looks flat as hell. The taste is horribly bland and boring. It's got a certain malty sweetness, but it tastes for all the world like any other cheap American beer right down to the weird metallic taste it leaves in the mouth.

As someone else mentioned I think this gets so much hype because of the story of the brewery. That's all well and good but, based on this offering, I'll be in no great hurry to try any of their other beers. Being the oldest brewer in America doesn't count for much in my book if your beer isn't worth drinking.

03-09-2013 03:13:40 | More by lordbrad1
humuloner22

3.41/5  rDev 0%

Okay, this is not an outstanding beer compared to some in the craft beer world, but this one has sentimental value to me me. It was one of the first "micro" brews you could that was not outrageous in price while I was in college. Anyway, the color when poured from the can (I have had this in the bottle and on draft many times but this time its cans, and I do prefer it in cans better) amber not too much lacing but a some head that dissipates quickly. The smell is sweet with some hop character but not a lot, not as much as in bottles but a little skunk in there as well. The taste is over all well balanced for a lager, much better than many in its category and is very sessionable, and I can attest to the many sessions I have had with this one over the years. All in all people may look down on this one but it really is a good beer, it has a great lager flavor and you can drink several without any trouble. Once again this is one of my standby beers if I plan on drinking a several in a night.

02-16-2013 04:29:21 | More by humuloner22
TheSSG

3.78/5  rDev +10.9%

Pours a MONSTROUS, luscious, white head. Grassy hops dominate the nose, with a touch of sweet malt. Golden-amber color. Starts off a touch sweet, but then moves into a nice grassy hop bitterness that is restrained but pleasant, while the malt comes in a nice biscuity flavor in the finish, blending with the grassy hops. Creamy feel in the mouth.

Overall, this is a very well done traditional lager; malty with a touch of hops. It's almost a blend of pilsner and amber. I've heard this is more analogous to a pre-prohibition lager than an amber. I could just drink this forever and ever. It lived up to all the hype I'd heard about Yuengling.

I should mention that I ONLY pick these up in cans (whenever I go two states over into Ohio from Illinois). Green bottles = Guaranteed skunking. Stick to the cans to taste this one in its full glory.
I honestly think I rate this a tad higher than others SPECIFICALLY because I don't get it in the green bottles.

12-04-2012 03:21:42 | More by TheSSG
stephenjmoore

Maryland

3.08/5  rDev -9.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A- Medium to light amber colored body with some golden highlights. Big frothy tan head that leaves a lot of lacing. Carbonation bubbles come up from the bottom through the transparent body.

S- Somewhat of a wet grain or soggy corn smell. Smells like wet bread.

T- The main taste is caramel malts. It is pretty light on taste, but the malt is noticeable. I can get a dash of hop flavor for balance as well.

M- Light bodied, medium-high carbonation, extremely drinkable.

O- A go to for tailgating, sporting events etc. Enough flavor and the drinkability to have a few.

10-06-2012 23:33:41 | More by stephenjmoore
DannyDan

3.15/5  rDev -7.6%

This was a free beer that was given to me by someone I know. so I thought I'd review a beer from America's oldest brewery. Poured the beer out of the can and got a light reddish amber color beer with a thin head and hardly any lacing or retention, but quite carbonated. The smell had some sweet candy like aroma along with a grass and grain smell. The tatse starts out with some sweet malts followed by some citrus hops and finishing off with some graininess. The sweetness and the bitter hops stay throughout and into the aftertaste. The mouthfeel is crisp, clean and smooth. This is not too bad of a beer, I'd drink it again if it was offered to me or maybe buy a 6 pack if I see it in a store, but nothing I'd go out of my way for.

09-29-2012 03:47:16 | More by DannyDan
Fatehunter

Oregon

3.05/5  rDev -10.6%

Poured into a pint glass. Maybe it's supposed to be drank straight from the can because no less than four fingers of head were present. Clear, golden colored body.
Smells like candy and honey.
Sweet taste, a hint of bitterness. Fizzy and light texture.
A beer you could throw down a bunch of, but with a little more flavor and body than the BMCs... for whatever that's worth.

09-23-2012 15:33:57 | More by Fatehunter
DavoleBomb

3.4/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a perfect pint from a 24 oz. can. Ohio loves their 24 oz. cans.

2.5 A: Clear dark orange color. One and a half fingers of frothy/foamy off-white head. Retention is poor and just a short ring of lacing is left.

3.5 S: Light caramel with toasty and grainy malts. Grassy hops. Nothing spectacular, but good for what it is. Clean without much of the adjunct aroma.

3.5 T: Same as the nose. Light caramel. Toasty and grainy malts. Maybe a hint of nuttiness. Barely detectable grassiness from the hops.

3.0 M: Light body. Reasonable carbonation. Clean and crisp. Could use some more body, but whatever.

3.5 D: This beer holds a special place in my heart because for a long time and in a great many places, this was the only option with even any flavor. Though I never choose this when better beers are available, it helped me get through the dark ages of beer. Glad the world is starting to catch up with us beer geeks.

09-19-2012 01:39:51 | More by DavoleBomb
peensteen

Ontario (Canada)

3.38/5  rDev -0.9%

$1.49 for a 24oz can at 7-11 somewhere in upstate NY, steal of a deal.

Pale amber-blonde colour, a modest cap of white head, light lace. Smell is grainy and malty, lightly fruity but mostly apple, some light floral hopping as well. Taste upfront is a clean biscuity malt, lightly sweet and lightly bitter, smooth quick finish, pleasant lingering malt aftertaste. Medium carbonation, light-medium body, pretty good feel. For what this is and what this costs its pretty solid, not something I will pick up by the case or anything but certainly something I would pick up a can or two of in the middle of nowhere when stateside.

08-20-2012 23:28:32 | More by peensteen
SometimesIfart

3.18/5  rDev -6.7%

Poured from a can into a lager glass. Pours amber in color with a quickly receding one finger of bubbly white head. Leaves no lacing anywhere. The smell is of caramel malt, sweet candy, And very mild hops. The taste somewhat follows the smell. Slight hops, slight malt, and some adjunct. Slight caramel malt as well. But that's about it for flavor. The mouthfeel is very adjunct like, But with an ever so slight presence of burnt malt in the finish. Overall, Compared to many other mass produced beers, This one is pretty damn good.

08-01-2012 18:56:00 | More by SometimesIfart
spinrsx

Ontario (Canada)

3.28/5  rDev -3.8%

24oz Can from the Sunoco Canton NY for 2.15$

Appearance - Clear amber/copper yellow colour with an average size fizzy beige coloured head. There is an average amount of carbonation showing and there is some faint lacing. The head lasted for only a short while.

Smell - Malts, breads/grains, light caramel, corn

Taste & Mouth - There is an above average amount of carbonation and I can taste malts and corn mixed with some caramel. There is also a bit of a hop bitterness.. but not much. It ends with a malty slighty bitter aftertaste and there seems to be a bit of a lingering rusty note.

Overall - I've been curious to try this one for a while.. it's not bad at all. It's just a small notch above macro but still quite drinkable. And you can't beat the price. Probably wouldn't pick this up again, but it was worth a try.

07-05-2012 00:21:35 | More by spinrsx
whatthehull

3.45/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Tulip

A - really nice translucent copper, one finger off white head and no lacing

S - fruity, a bit of earth and foliage, citrus hop note, nice sweet malt and light but very nice bready yeast

T - Citrus, nice malt, barley, sweet yeast, nice fruit, light earth and a green/grassy hop note

M - Medium minus body, well balanced, medium minus complexity, low acidity and a long sweet bready and grainy finish

D/O - This is very refreshing, drinks like a charm and tastes better than any lager we can get around here. As far as bigger breweries go. Wish I could get this at my bottle shop

Final thoughts - Not sure the cost a very low abv, but a great taste and very, very nice

05-31-2012 06:44:31 | More by whatthehull
Beejay

3.53/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: A very orange-tan color. Clear, with a nice amount of dirty white head on the top.

S: Sweet smelling with a touch of a husky/ flour smell. There is a light fruitiness from the yeast, and perhaps a touch of vegetable.

T: Light malt flavors, with a touch of a cracker thing going on. There is almost a hint at being peppery in the finish. The finish is light and slightly fruity.

M: Medium thin on the body, with somewhat higher carbonation, although I think it fits with the style.

O: Overall I think this beer stands out because of it’s price, and it is somewhat bolder tasting than many of it’s contemporaries.

03-05-2012 04:14:56 | More by Beejay
Dave1999

3.45/5  rDev +1.2%

Poured a copper red with a foamy white head which quickly disappeared.

Didn't have much of a smell, maybe a little sweetness and malts.

The taste was of malts quite sweet with a slightly bitter after taste.

Feels smooth, light bodied, easy to drink with slight carbonation.

Overall the best of the cheap beers and easy to find. If there's no other option this is a decent choice. Doesn't compete in the craft beer bracket though.

02-24-2012 19:28:44 | More by Dave1999
sdj5

3.4/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Reviewing once again. Yuengling poured from a can.

A - Light, clear amber with a pillowy white head that recedes quickly to lacing.

S - Caramel, brown bread, sweet malt.

T - Much like the smell, a light brown bread taste with a hint of hops on the tail end. A good, balanced sweetness prevails throughout.

M - Light, but thicker than most in its range.

O - An easy drinkable, classic American beer. Tastes like what I would imagine people considered standard, good beer 100+ years ago.

02-19-2012 23:21:01 | More by sdj5
Yoda22

2.88/5  rDev -15.5%

A- Pours a crystal clear copper - 1 finger of head but very quickly dissipating. Bubbles galore.

S- Just a little bit of grain/malt adjunct, mostly blah.

T- a more pronounced grainy/malty flavor, better than the smell.

M- Medium body, heavy carbonation.

O- Yuengling is a good gateway drug into craft beer. It has a very tame lightly malt/sweet flavor which is good but not great. And of course you can't go wrong for the price.

02-10-2012 23:25:22 | More by Yoda22