Yuengling Traditional Lager - Yuengling Brewery

Yuengling Brewery visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

American Amber / Red Lager |  4.40% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-28-2001

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Yuengling Traditional Lager Alström Bros
3.22/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

4.01/5  rDev +17.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

pours with a decent head about 2 fingers compared to most craft beers of the type the smell and flavor are kind of mild and less then you would expect but are both very good none the less.
there are not a ton of different flavors to decipher as you drink this one it is just a good simple smooth drinking beer that can be bought most places for pretty close to the cost of cheaper light beers.

3.43/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

3.23/5  rDev -5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

2.85/5  rDev -16.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

2.92/5  rDev -14.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

3.55/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.57/5  rDev +5%

Looks like America but it feels, tastes, and smells like college. Overall I have the feels.

4.12/5  rDev +21.2%

Classic Amber lager, proud from PA

3.14/5  rDev -7.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

3.54/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

12 oz bottle, poured into a pint glass

Appearance: Pours a clear, mahogany color, with a quarter of a finger of white-colored head that completely dissolved away into no head what-so-ever.

Aroma: Pretty nice aromas of toasted malt, caramel and brown sugar, black pepper, a touch of some floral, piney hops. There is also a touch of vinegar in the aroma too. Is that normal, or sis this beer skunky? I don’t remember this vinegar aroma before, but maybe I just never paid attention to it before.

Taste: Pretty good. Nice flavors of toasted malt and caramel-like sweetness, blended with some adjunct flavors of corn, finished with a touch of hops.

Mouthfeel: Medium/medium-thin, with practically no carbonation what-so-ever. With an ABV of 4.4%, there is no alcohol on the palate.

Overall: This is an decent beer, one that I enjoy, with decent, non-offensive, but not great either flavors of toasted malt, corn and caramel-like sweetness. It’s a good gateway into craft beer, beer, a good golf course beer, a good tailgate beer, and a good non-BMC restaurant beer. I’ll never turn one down, but I’m not picking up a six to bring home either.

2.99/5  rDev -12.1%

2.9/5  rDev -14.7%

Good beer, not great. Save this for friends who do not appreciate a decent craft beer!

4.36/5  rDev +28.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

It's a great beer, I don't care what you say

3.33/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

3.21/5  rDev -5.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Felt like having a beer or two and some food that wasn't made in my kitchen today, so I went to the local Italian place. They were closed, so instead I ended up getting a couple of the new ham and cheese sandwich from Burger King and also a big ol' 24-ounce can of Yuengling from the gas station store next door.

Pours a little lighter than I remember from the bottled version, but once it's in the glass it starts looking more familiar--a light brown, maybe a little orangey? More head than I remember getting out of the bottled version, also--rather than the manageable amount that faded away pretty quickly, I got a huge fluffy head that filled up 2/3 of the glass on its own and/ had to wait a bit to shrink somewhat before I could fill the glass the rest of the way. No visible bubbles rising up from the bottom of the glass with this one, though.

Smells... well, a bit funky to be honest. Not awful, but there's something going on here that weirdly reminds me of a hair salon; I don't remember noticing that particular smell when I've had Yuengling before, though I do remember not liking the smell as much as the taste. Like with the Yuengling Black & Tan, smell is definitely the weakest point, though I think this one smells nicer.

Taste--it's bready! Just like I remember it being before. Not amazing with a half-dozen interesting flavors jumping out at you like some of the beers I've had since my last Yuengling, but definitely not bad at all. Taste doesn't hang around long after you swallow, and neither food nor the beer interfere with each other much, which is always a plus for something I chose to drink with a meal. I actually think this might be a little better than I remember the bottled version being, interestingly... I guess a difference between opaque can and somewhat-light-permitting green bottle? Or maybe just a freshness thing, if the big cans go quicker than the bottles or something.

Feel is good for the most part; pretty smooth, goes down easy, feeling just a little watery at the end but not to the point where it's offputting or anything. I remember the carbonation bugging me a little previous times I had this beer, but didn't notice any of that tonight, so either that's another bottle/can difference or I've just gotten more used to beer carbonation since then.

Overall, this is a simple but tasty lager that's available damn near everywhere for the same price you'd pay for something like Budweiser or Miller Lite (or even less, in some cases) without the "I'm giving money to a soulless worldwide megacorporation" guilt you might feel from buying one of those beers. Even if it's not one of your favorites, you have to appreciate that there's decent beer available at a great price. I was a little afraid I wouldn't like this one as much after trying some of the great beers I've stumbled across in the past month or so, but it turns out I had nothing to worry about--if anything, I might actually appreciate Yuengling's traditional lager a little more now than I did back before I'd tried more exotic beers like Belgian dubbels and IPAs. The only thing I'd ever change about this one is the smell, because... yeah, that's a bit funky. Now, off to finish the rest of this huge can!

3.15/5  rDev -7.4%

3.5/5  rDev +2.9%

2.92/5  rDev -14.1%

2.69/5  rDev -20.9%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

It is a middle of the road macro lager for me.

3.43/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Draught from a fresh keg.

L: clear, Amber brown. Small, creamy head that went away fast.

S: sweet, biscuity malt. A bit of creamy vanilla and citrus, too.

T: biscuity malt with some light hops. Not too sweet, not too bitter. Pleasantly mild without being watery. Very clean.

F: light and bubbly. Crisp.

O: nice and easy sessionable American Amber lager that's relatively affordable and always easy to get. I really can't hate on it.

3.64/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

Sadly, I can't find it as much here in far West TX