Yuengling Traditional Lager - Yuengling Brewery

Yuengling Brewery visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

American Amber / Red Lager |  4.40% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-28-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Yuengling Traditional Lager Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,618 | Hads: 5,925
2.6/5  rDev -22.8%

I've had it both straight from the bottle and also poured into a stein and neither impressed me much. It's an average looking lager if looks are important to you. A moderate amount of head, about a half inch, but it dissipates quickly with very little lacing. The nose is nice but nothing amazing. A bit sweet. The flavor is not my favorite. I understand American amber lagers aren't supposed to be bitter, but this just did not appeal to me at all. It's a sweet beer with a bit of hop flavor mixed in. It's like drinking a strange vegetable. A definite hoppy aftertaste. I'll finish the sixpack but I won't buy another. Not impressed.

3.64/5  rDev +8%

Appearance: Amber with hues of red. Finger high head when poured, but disappeared quickly and no lacing.
Smell: Sweet sugary smelling aroma. Plenty of fruit aromas with an apple aroma mixed with some lime notes. Also, a general taffy like smell something like a Now & Later if made in lime.
Taste: Sweet fruit taste balanced nicely with malts. Again, the same taffy taste that I smelled. I can taste the apple flavor that I smelled, but a lime taste is more dominant. A mild hop flavor, but mostly overpowered by malts and sweetness.
Mouthfeel: Crisp and dry.
Drinkability: Easy to drink like a traditional beer should be and easy enough on the wallet. Reminds me of my college days in PSU.

3.27/5  rDev -3%

appearance-amber-esque...it was pretty light to be called amber but yea amberish none the less

Smell- smell wasnt bad though oddly it smelled better than it tasted

Taste- better than most beers that are advertized ie BMC though not the best i've had...slight bitterness as expected but taste not bad overall...nothing special

Mouthfeel- goes down easy fiz present

Drinkablity- good i would have had another but ran out of time...like i said before not my favorite or the best ive had but id drink it

3.73/5  rDev +10.7%

Pours out of the bomber a nice rich amber hue with a foamy tan head. Looked quite nice.

Smell. a bit grainy and slightly metallic. seems a bit sweet as well.

Taste. It's nice. Malty richness that gives it a sweet flavor, but finishes a little dry. Taste seems simple enough for someone thinking it's a "dark" beer, but complex enough and tasty enough for all beer drinkers to enjoy.

Mouthfeel is good. Nice medium/full body, good amount of carbonation, nice balance.

Overall a tasty beer. Seems it could go well with lots of food, or used for a session. Not an incredible beer, but quite enjoyable.

2.63/5  rDev -22%

I remember when this first came out in Pennsylvania, I thought this was very good beer. Nõw lets transport to today and this beer really isn't that good. Far better than than the BMC macro swill but other than running to the Mobil Mart late at night for beer, I can think of a reason to buy this, but don't get me wrong I drink this on occasion and I'm not bothered by that.

3.58/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Had this one tap (and in a bottle) in Wilmington, NC.
Interesting to see this beer was as common and as popular as the stuff from the big 3. The Yuengling distributor is doing a great job. Shocks me that we can't get it out in Denver.
Color is a nice, rich red color. A little more colorful than I expected. Reminds me a little of Fat Tire.
Smell is pretty subdued, but with a malty overtone. Not really anything amazing...but definitely a step up compared to the typical macro.
Flavor's quite good. It makes a refreshing brew for a warm evening. Malty, with a little hops in the finish. Reminds me a little of Killian's, but more drinkable. It's almost like a normal macro that's been hyped up a little bit of extra flavor and the adjuncts trimmed.
Mouthfeel's ideal for a warm weather beer. It's thick enough to add some substance, but goes down easy for a lawnmower beer, too.
Drinkability on this is really high. It's got all of the high points of a macro lager, but additional flavor, too. It's not the best beer around, but it's a great conversion or easy drinking beer.
Compared to the competition, this beer is wonderful.

3.77/5  rDev +11.9%

Earlier reviewed from the bottle, this was on-tap at an O'Charley's in Huntsville. Odd I never saw Yuengling in Atlanta but it is everywhere in Huntsville, their local distributor is doing a good job.

Appearance was not quite as good. Seemed to be the victim of a "stadium pour". Some carbonation bubbles rise up to the surface where they made a very thin head that tried to lace on the way down. Color reminds me of a Vienna Lager (Sam Adams, Dos XX) a transparent caramel color. Served at about the right temperature which was a little warmer than what you typically get at a chain resturaunt.

Tasted of sweet malts and some dry hoppiness that leaves the mouth a little dry and puckery.

This has become my fall back beer in Huntsville.

3.65/5  rDev +8.3%

A: Bubbly auburn brew topped with 2+ fingers of crowning white head. Beer is crystal clear.

S: Sweet nutty/corny/bready/caramel malt.

T/M: Grainy, sweet, bready malt. Very light and enjoyable flavors. Not too heavy on any one taste. No dominate hops taste, but finishes clean. Slick and bubbly on the tongue.

D: Nice, light, and easy to drink. Prefered over BMC for esoteric reasons and for slightly bulked up taste.

3.6/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Picked up a six pack when I was in North Carolina. This is a solid amber lager - nothing to write home about, but not bad either. I put this on par with something like Shiner. Cheap if you are in the area, widely available, and a hell of a lot better than the BMC offerings it is usually surrounded by.

3.2/5  rDev -5%

A light copper color with hints of a golden hue. The aroma of bread and some spicy hops are the most prevalent scents. The taste starts with the malt, which give it a mild flavor, then a nice hop finish comes in, that lasts for some time. In the mouth it feels watery at the beginning and gain some weoght as it reaches the back of the palate. There is also a strong sensation of carbonation in every swallow. Drinkability, it is very easy to drink and is very refreshing. For me though, it is not something I would grab consistantly.

3.03/5  rDev -10.1%

Pours a light brown, almost tea-like look with a 1/4" head which quickly subsides to a thin cap. The carbonation appears to be quite active.

Aroma of light bready toasted malt... thats about it.

Decent amount of malt in the flavour, but fairly boring.... still a much better offering than BMC.

Mouthfeel is very light and crisp.... decent.

What this beer really has going for it is its drinkability... definitely a solid session beer at a cheap price.

3.18/5  rDev -5.6%

Picked up while in Orlando. Happy to do so.
Nice to pick up a popular lager with some malt character. Aroma also holds some adjunct. Some corn like quality. Just a touch of spiciness hop quality. It has a little character.
Good looking with a dark gold pushing well into amber. Head isn't permanent, put had decent staying power. Constant rising bubbles.
Flavor holds similar characters as the aroma. Malt dominates. Adjunct shows up in time, especially as it warms, but is never excessive or too powerful, but it does take away from the enjoyment of the initial experience. Mild bitterness and mild dryness.
Clean and crisp throughout without being thin. Carbonation offers a nice spiciness and a pleasing tingling on the tongue.
This is a pretty nice beer. Even with a bigger than average for style feel it goes down quickly and smoothly. I'd easily drink this again if I'm ever in Pennsylvania.

3.8/5  rDev +12.8%

I believe you can't go wrong with a bottle of Yuengling Traditional Lager. If you like beer and you call yourself a Pennsylvanian, it is especially necessary that you enjoy drinking this beer. No, it is not an amazingly intricate product. But it is the staple beer you count on after a long day at work or during the ball game, or whatever situation calls for a staple beer. I feel it is a crime when people come to my house but I'm out of Yuengling.

Now on to the beer itself. It pours a pleasent amber/gold color (not overly red hued). Never very much head, but I wouldn't want too much fluff on this one anyway. I don't know how better to describe the smell then "it smells like yuengling." The taste has a light hint of hoppiness, very light. Fairly sweet. Carbonation that compliments very well.

Like I said, it isn't a super amazing beer, but I can count on it to be an enjoyable beer and like all things in life sometimes tradition and pride are more important than the details.

3.32/5  rDev -1.5%

There are a few things I have in mind on a night out:

I want beer. I want good tasting beer. And I don't want to pay a lot of money for it.

Yuengling is that beer. It's 'worth a try' because it is affordable and decent and falls under $2 'domestic' beers at the bar; especially here in the south, its the darkest beer on tap that I only have to pay two dollars for.

More on the beer: It looks good and smells good and can be used to compliment a meal, or in a game of beer pong. Really, this beer works as a good beer with friends, and a good beer to share.

4.06/5  rDev +20.5%

No Date, in a cardboard 12 pack.

Pours a clear golden color. >1/2 inch head of medium to small bubbles. Aroma is grassy and earthy. Taste is clean and light. Flavor is somewhat sweet and then fades into a lightly bitter finish. For an American Macro Lager, I’ll take it any day of the week. Very easy to drink. A good every day beer. A staple in my fridge in the summer. Very good for what it is. Much better than your average BMC.

3.35/5  rDev -0.6%

Hard to come by here in Indiana, I made a trip to PA to grab some cases for a poker game for our Men's Club.

Worth the trip, this is for sure. A great beer to have when playing poker, munching on pretzels, and eating summer sausage.

Not a strong taste, but enough there to appreciate its quality. I salute PA for making a pretty darn good beer.

2.65/5  rDev -21.4%

I was interested to drink this cause its very hard to acquire where I live. That turned out to be a good thing. This counts as a fizzy yellow beer. Bitter grain and slender amber malt. A little bitterness washed down with a kind of skunk sweetness. Not a whole lot to say about the lager. After looking and the meek color I already had a good feel for what it will taste like. The nose didn’t give off much but a wiff of steel, almost like I had poured it out of a can, odd. You would think this being the oldest brewery in the nation, they would have picked up a few good ideas over the years.

3.45/5  rDev +2.4%

When you want a good tasting cheap beer this works. I prefer the Black & Tan to this. So I agree this is a beer to take out fishing, mowing the lawn, or washing your car. There's not a strong hop taste or smell. Amber coloring. A bit on the sweet side. Being from PA I have this fairly often and will continue to.

2.2/5  rDev -34.7%

Clear copper color, head fades fast. Smell is grainy and a little sweet. Taste is not that great. Too sweet, not enough hops (or much at all). A bland lager, one not worth the hype that most people get it. I prefer the second oldest brewery any day of the week.

3.21/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Pours an orange-tinged amber with a one finger head with little lacing. Little in the way of smell that I can detect... Flavor is a welcome change from the usual macro offerings. A little too sweet in the flavor department. Crisp lager finish. Mouthfeel is better than most macro lagers, but still a little thin. Leaves me wishing for more substance. That said, this is a good standby beer, especially in Florida where it's the same price as Bud.

3.11/5  rDev -7.7%

Poured from a green 12 oz. bottle with a twist-off top.

A - actually very nice color - golden copper, almost glowing. Looks like a nice scotch or whiskey with a splash of water. Head is bright white and bubbly, doesn't hang around long and leaves very little lacing.

S - sweet, tangy malt. A little bit of biscuit. Some definite DMS. Corn, grain. No hop presence.

T - very sweet. Sweet malt, corn, biscuits. Slight hop bitterness, but this beer tilts definitively in the malt/adjunct direction. Corny. Very little hop flavor in this beer - what is there seems to be of the European noble variety, slightly peppery.

M - thin, actually pretty smooth. Carbonation is rather high, though. I bet this gets better after it sits around abit and some of the CO2 takes off. A little tingly.

D - well, it's a step above your standard American macro lagers. Actually has a bit of body, malt presence. Tastes like the beer your grandaddy let you sip when you were a kid. Very much a 'lawnmower' beer. It's all over the Northeast US and deserves some credit for its longevity and body.

2.58/5  rDev -23.4%

I hate slamming a hard working local brewery, but I wouldn’t seek this one out again. Had a nice start – amber / brown pour with an one inch white top, which, disappeared way to fast.

Not much in the aroma, some corn and cooked veggies. Taste was pure adjunct macro lager, finishing bitter. On the medium bodied side.

Seems like a fairly typical AML, no real average qualities. Darn.

3.17/5  rDev -5.9%

I attend college in NY, so this stuff is everywhere on campus. Automatic points are given because this is the US's oldest brewery. When poured into a glass it looks alot like other US macro lagers, only a bit darker. There the smell hints towards citrusy hops and an apple like smell. flavor backs this up. Very flavorful for a US macro lager. leaves alittle bit of residue on the lips and teeth, not as clean as better brews. This beer is very affordable and is nice for a long night of drinking.

3.76/5  rDev +11.6%

Nice, slightly darker golden sort of color. Decent enough head at first pour. Ok aroma-sort of sulfury and just "beer like". Good malty flavor with a great hop bite to it. I am a huge Bud fan and this has the same great "snap" that I find in a Bud. Theres a nice grainy flavor going on as well. Good body for style. Overall a very drinkable and enjoyable beer. Seems to have a bit more "umph" then your standard US macro. I like it.

3.63/5  rDev +7.7%

Being from PA, Yuengling is my beer of choice when I'm out at the bar or if I just want to enjoy a nice lager at home. The color is amber/copper and the head was about average size and consistancy. The smell is a little bit creamy and hoppy with a nice malt aroma. The taste is similar with a slight creaminess with a normal amount of bitterness. For a lager the taste is full-bodied and finishes strong to the end. Mouthfeel is smooth and not overly fizzy. I find Yuengling lager to be quite drinkable if you're in the mood for a well-brewed lager. If available in your area, this should be your first choice for a very reasonably priced lager.

Yuengling Traditional Lager from Yuengling Brewery