Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Yuengling Traditional Lager - Yuengling Brewery

Yuengling Traditional LagerYuengling Traditional Lager

Yuengling Brewery visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

American Amber / Red Lager |  4.40% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-28-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Yuengling Traditional Lager Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,603 | Hads: 5,794
3.35/5  rDev -1.8%

Hard to come by here in Indiana, I made a trip to PA to grab some cases for a poker game for our Men's Club.

Worth the trip, this is for sure. A great beer to have when playing poker, munching on pretzels, and eating summer sausage.

Not a strong taste, but enough there to appreciate its quality. I salute PA for making a pretty darn good beer. (350 characters)

2.65/5  rDev -22.3%

I was interested to drink this cause its very hard to acquire where I live. That turned out to be a good thing. This counts as a fizzy yellow beer. Bitter grain and slender amber malt. A little bitterness washed down with a kind of skunk sweetness. Not a whole lot to say about the lager. After looking and the meek color I already had a good feel for what it will taste like. The nose didn’t give off much but a wiff of steel, almost like I had poured it out of a can, odd. You would think this being the oldest brewery in the nation, they would have picked up a few good ideas over the years. (595 characters)

3.45/5  rDev +1.2%

When you want a good tasting cheap beer this works. I prefer the Black & Tan to this. So I agree this is a beer to take out fishing, mowing the lawn, or washing your car. There's not a strong hop taste or smell. Amber coloring. A bit on the sweet side. Being from PA I have this fairly often and will continue to. (313 characters)

2.2/5  rDev -35.5%

Clear copper color, head fades fast. Smell is grainy and a little sweet. Taste is not that great. Too sweet, not enough hops (or much at all). A bland lager, one not worth the hype that most people get it. I prefer the second oldest brewery any day of the week. (261 characters)

3.21/5  rDev -5.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Pours an orange-tinged amber with a one finger head with little lacing. Little in the way of smell that I can detect... Flavor is a welcome change from the usual macro offerings. A little too sweet in the flavor department. Crisp lager finish. Mouthfeel is better than most macro lagers, but still a little thin. Leaves me wishing for more substance. That said, this is a good standby beer, especially in Florida where it's the same price as Bud. (446 characters)

3.11/5  rDev -8.8%

Poured from a green 12 oz. bottle with a twist-off top.

A - actually very nice color - golden copper, almost glowing. Looks like a nice scotch or whiskey with a splash of water. Head is bright white and bubbly, doesn't hang around long and leaves very little lacing.

S - sweet, tangy malt. A little bit of biscuit. Some definite DMS. Corn, grain. No hop presence.

T - very sweet. Sweet malt, corn, biscuits. Slight hop bitterness, but this beer tilts definitively in the malt/adjunct direction. Corny. Very little hop flavor in this beer - what is there seems to be of the European noble variety, slightly peppery.

M - thin, actually pretty smooth. Carbonation is rather high, though. I bet this gets better after it sits around abit and some of the CO2 takes off. A little tingly.

D - well, it's a step above your standard American macro lagers. Actually has a bit of body, malt presence. Tastes like the beer your grandaddy let you sip when you were a kid. Very much a 'lawnmower' beer. It's all over the Northeast US and deserves some credit for its longevity and body. (1,087 characters)

2.58/5  rDev -24.3%

I hate slamming a hard working local brewery, but I wouldn’t seek this one out again. Had a nice start – amber / brown pour with an one inch white top, which, disappeared way to fast.

Not much in the aroma, some corn and cooked veggies. Taste was pure adjunct macro lager, finishing bitter. On the medium bodied side.

Seems like a fairly typical AML, no real average qualities. Darn. (393 characters)

3.17/5  rDev -7%

I attend college in NY, so this stuff is everywhere on campus. Automatic points are given because this is the US's oldest brewery. When poured into a glass it looks alot like other US macro lagers, only a bit darker. There the smell hints towards citrusy hops and an apple like smell. flavor backs this up. Very flavorful for a US macro lager. leaves alittle bit of residue on the lips and teeth, not as clean as better brews. This beer is very affordable and is nice for a long night of drinking. (497 characters)

3.76/5  rDev +10.3%

Nice, slightly darker golden sort of color. Decent enough head at first pour. Ok aroma-sort of sulfury and just "beer like". Good malty flavor with a great hop bite to it. I am a huge Bud fan and this has the same great "snap" that I find in a Bud. Theres a nice grainy flavor going on as well. Good body for style. Overall a very drinkable and enjoyable beer. Seems to have a bit more "umph" then your standard US macro. I like it. (432 characters)

3.63/5  rDev +6.5%

Being from PA, Yuengling is my beer of choice when I'm out at the bar or if I just want to enjoy a nice lager at home. The color is amber/copper and the head was about average size and consistancy. The smell is a little bit creamy and hoppy with a nice malt aroma. The taste is similar with a slight creaminess with a normal amount of bitterness. For a lager the taste is full-bodied and finishes strong to the end. Mouthfeel is smooth and not overly fizzy. I find Yuengling lager to be quite drinkable if you're in the mood for a well-brewed lager. If available in your area, this should be your first choice for a very reasonably priced lager. (645 characters)

4.1/5  rDev +20.2%

I'm a big fan of the Yuengling bros. Brewery so I drink what they got anytime I find my self in the situation. Nice fresh beer, maybe a half inch head that dissipated fairly quickly but did not entirely leave. beautiful medium color with not a lot of carbonation. the smell is bitter with no sign of sweetness. Tastes like it curled up on my tongue and gave me a hug. Smells like it looks. (389 characters)

3.28/5  rDev -3.8%

Poured a clear , golden-amber with a quarter inch head of off white foam that stayed. Smell is clean and mainly of the malt , hint of adjunct , slight metallic character. Taste is of the slightly sweet malt at first , kinda creamy , some grassy-citrus hop tinge , also a hint of metal. Mouthfeel is light but slightly creamy. One of my stand-by brews , sold at every convience store around my area , much better than most of the other macros in my opinion. A very drinkable American red/amber lager. (499 characters)

3.13/5  rDev -8.2%

from the tap at Parrot Key in Fort Meyers. poured a golden copper with a off white head. aroma, hard to tell had the aroma of the water coming in since this retaurant was near a marina that was near the gulf of mexico, malts, hops some sugar, grains. flavor the malts, came out pretty goodat first than dropped off as it warmed got some sourness, and a bite of hops at the finish. but did go well with my FRESH FLORIDA MAHI-MAHI sandwich I had (443 characters)

3.06/5  rDev -10.3%

On a recent visit to Tampa every bar I went to had this on draft. I was told that Yuengling had a brewery in Tampa. Is this the only beer they brew? Anyway, it was an amber color with a thick white head and good lacing. It had a sweet, fresh corn odor, but not much taste. There was a little hops, but that was about it. Pretty average. (336 characters)

2.66/5  rDev -22%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

This beer poured a clear copper color with a small head that dissipated rather quickly. Aroma was sweet and malty on the nose with a hint of corn adjunct. Taste was also sweet with a slight hop flavor. The beer was very smooth in the finish, but had that adjunct flavor that macros tend to have. I thought this beer was supposed to be all malt? It's a refreshing beer with a tad more flavor than BMC, but not much else. I don't understand all the hoopla behind this beer. I'm not gonna go out of my way to seek this out again. I'll stick with Yuengling porter instead. (568 characters)

3.2/5  rDev -6.2%

Yuengling Lager has always been a staple beer for me since long before I was a BA. Even now that I appreciate better beers, from time to time I find this to be a very adequate fall back beer. Previously I wrote a review of this beer on-tap and when I re-read it today I realized this is the same opinion I have from the bottle. Here is my previous review:

First of all, Yuengling is a very American beer with an American logo; when I think of Yuengling Lager I feel I must salute or say the pledge of allegiance or do something American. It is also a local beer here in PA. This beer was an absolute staple of mine for many years (before I became an enlightened beer 'snob'), and it is still a great fall back beer. If at a bar with no micro-brews, this is a decent option. Because of how inexpensive Yuengling Lager is I put it in a category of macro-beers. In that category it is definitely and the top (far above average). If compared against other craft brews Yuengling drops significantly lower on the list. This is a SOLID - 3 - beer. It is what I think of when I am comparing something plus or minus the quality I want to drink. As an average beer it is cheap and easily available at all the bars in my area; all plusses to the beer.
Golden/amber in color, thin, beige head
Somewhat typical smell of sweet honey malts
Taste is a bit better than you'd expect from a cheap beer. It is malty sweet with just a hint of bitter hops; a very middle of the road taste. Meaning it likely, won't really conflict with anything on your palate.
Mouthfeel is light/medium. Crisp and refreshing.
This is for me the epitome of a session beer. I cannot count how many times I have toooo much to drink of this beer. One after another they go down easier and easier. WOW!

Hope this is helpful.
Cheers! (1,803 characters)

2.98/5  rDev -12.6%

Had a pint on tap, this beer had a nice color for a lager, almost a copper color. The smell was typical for a macro type lager, tastes pretty decent, I'd rather drink this than most macros. It does have a little more sweetness than I'm used to though. Not bad for a lager, definitely worth a try. (296 characters)

3.5/5  rDev +2.6%

Appearance is a light amber with small head that quickly disappears.

Smell of corn and hops is immediate. Slightly sweet smell.

Taste is a it different due to the corn. Not too sweet nor bitter. Very enjoyable in comparison to most American swill.

Mouthfeel is excellent. Just feels so good, hard to describe.

Drinkability is quite high although over doing it leaves you feeling quite full.

This is a good macro-brew. Not on the level of Sam Adams but the flavor may be more appealing to mainstream America than Sam as well. Although I prefer Sam Adams, this isn't a bad one to fall back on. (607 characters)

2.85/5  rDev -16.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Pours with quickly fading head. Color is light amber/brown. Light smell of toasty biscuits.

Taste is not impressive. Decent amount of flavor, but I think I detect corn, or some other adjunct. Mouthfeel is smooth, moderate carbonation. I'll pass on having another one. (271 characters)

2.98/5  rDev -12.6%

Got a 12pk of these for $9.99. Appearance is copper in color with an OK head & no lacing to speak off. Smell is not the best -- a little sour and hints of fruit. The taste, however, is pretty good - has a little fruit coming out with some maltiness as well. It's a crisp beer, but not that bitter. Basically, for someone who feels Bud is a beer w/o a lot of flavor -- I'd recommend trying this instead. Drinkability is good, as I could easily spend a night drinking just these. (477 characters)

2.63/5  rDev -22.9%

This beer has become a Pennsylvania institution. Order simply "lager" almost anywhere in the state and this is what you will get. I for one was never really a fan. For example I ended up drinking it this time at my step father's 70th birthday party which had an open bar featuring Miller Lite or you guessed it, Yuengling Lager. I guess that puts in perspective what circumstances will lead me to drinking this beer.

It's certainly not BAD, just certainly not good either. The look is completely average. It has almost no smell, and tastes watered down and too bready. (569 characters)

3.21/5  rDev -5.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Pours a copper color with decent head. Not a very pleasent smell, mostly consists of citrus fruits and sour malts. The slight citrus scent carries over to the flavor where the citrus flavors mingle with the typical lager maltiness and finishes up with a bit of crisp hop bitterness. Not at all a bad brew, this is a good brew to have when you have a few friends over that are afriad to venture to far from macro brews. (418 characters)

2.15/5  rDev -37%

A friend who drinks only Busch was recently in Pa. and bought me a case. So what do I do with the other 23 bottles?
Appearence-Kind of a clear yellow color. Very little head. Gives new meaning to the song "Tiny Bubbles".

Smell-Not much.

Taste-Not alot of flavor. Almost like a light beer . Nothing stood out. I am going to have another and see if I change my rating. Just had a second one with supper. Could not finish it.

Mouthfeel-I did feel it.

Drinkability-Its drinkable but so is water. Another hot summer day beer served very cold with a Salami sandwich and a White Owl cigar. That might work. (612 characters)

3.23/5  rDev -5.3%

Yuengling is a beer ill choose if im out and the other taps are all BMC. Thanks too a market blitz by yuengling in the last 3 years this stuff is everywhere in my area. Highly carbonated, with a golden-amber color, perfectly clear, decent head retention. Thin flavor, almost surprising, given the color, you might expect a little more body from this beer , too bad. Nothing really wrong with yuengling, it could just be better. (427 characters)

3.68/5  rDev +7.9%

I drink this beer about every other day, so I think I have enough credentials to at least review it, though I may be slightly biased. In Philly bars, all you have to say is "lager" and you get one of these.

It pours a nice amber with a sort-of-white head that dissipates in under a minute.

Upon first taste, you get what I used to call the "Yuengling taste," which I have sinced learned (from a tour of the brewery in Pottsville) is corn. It's the only beer that I've had, to my knowledge, that uses corn as an ingredient. Inexperienced beer drinkers tend not to like this taste. You can pick up the corn in the aroma as well, but it isn't overpowering.

This is a real easy-drinking beer and very refreshing when you need one. Yuengling Traditional Lager will always be my "default beer." (797 characters)

Yuengling Traditional Lager from Yuengling Brewery