Join our email list →

Yuengling Brewery
Pennsylvania, United States | website

American Amber / Red Lager | 4.40% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-28-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Yuengling Traditional Lager Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,626 | Hads: 6,015
4.5/5  rDev +33.5%

Hands Down Yuengling Traditional Lager is my Favorite American Beer. Balanced perfectly, while I think Original Sam Adams is too bitter. The Alcohol content is lower than most American Beers, which makes is more enjoyable in my opinion. I first Discovered this beer while stopping over at PHL airport, and 10 years later, I was finally able to drink it again while working in the USA. I believe its taste balance of mild bitters and sweetness with the perfect amount of carbonation makes it superior to the fizz water of the Mega American Beer Companies produce. Anytime in the eastern US, it is my Beer of choice everytime.

3.81/5  rDev +13.1%

Definitely one of the best "true" American lagers. True to taste with little to no bitterness. Malt, I think is perfect- overall a great beer to break open if there will be multiple bottles being downed. Cheers

3.36/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.5

24 Oz. can, no date. Threshold beer glass.

Appearance: Pours a remarkably beautiful dark copper/amber, with a thick, foamy 1 finger head. Tons of streaming tiny bubble carbonation. Surprisingly, a decent amount of lacing. Retains a little island of white in the center of the glass.

Aroma: Beer, plus. There is a beery, graininess that is typical of American adjunct lagers, but the characteristic sweetness and sourness seems bolder here than the other American lager I had recently.

Taste: Pretty sweet arrival, light grainy mid-palate, little sourness right before the finish, which is surprisingly clean. Lingering toastiness. A little unpleasant adjunct grain on the mid palate. A little alcohol comes through right after the swallow. When I want an AAL I don't want it hanging out on my palate for long. This actually does have a little finish, and it's not super. Gets worse as it warms.

Mouthfeel: Highly carbonated, but not as carbonated as you would expect. Wet, lagery. A little lingering slickness; not as clean as one would expect.

Overall: If you want an AAL, this is definitely a great choice, but it is not quite typical of the style. It truly is an American amber lager. If you are in a dive bar, or looking to get cheap beer for a party, this is the #1 choice.

4.79/5  rDev +42.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Why would you pay a helluva lot more for a helluva lot less when it comes to beer?
Hard to go wrong with the crown prince from the oldest brewery in the country.
Maybe the best bang for the buck of any beer in America.
Especially when you consider the price.
You could pay a whole lot more for a whole lot less when it comes to quality.
No pretext.
This beer does exactly what it is intended to do, within the price range.
A nice, smooth flavorful brew that goes down well, just about anytime, anywhere.

3.11/5  rDev -7.7%

Served from a 12oz. can. Amber in color with quite good head retention. Streaks of lace left behind. Not much of a powerful aroma, but not offensive either. A whiff yields toasted grain and hints of toffee. Flavor profile has a more robust malt profile than any macro lager. Hop profile is neutral -- balancing bitterness but nothing that excites the palate. Good carbonation that's not fizzy.

Yuengling, ubiquitous in parts of the northeast, is a couple notches above the MillerCoorsBud fare. It's also a couple notches below the likes of Sam Adams Boston Lager or Brooklyn Lager. Good flavor for a 4.4% ABV beer.

3.8/5  rDev +12.8%

Look: Two fingers of creamy white head has some surprisingly good retention. Color is somewhere between copper and amber. Pretty active carbonation.

Smell: Sweet caramel and toasted grains.

Taste: More of the same but a slight metallic bite on the finish.

Feel: Light to medium in body. Pretty chewy for a lager.

Overall: This was a bit of a weird whale for me. Living in Colorado this beer isn't in distro out here and I always oddly wanted to try it. So I got a sixer on my recent trip to Ohio and pleasantly enjoyed it. Hope it makes it to Colorado sooner rather than later. Thumbs up.

3.67/5  rDev +8.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Before there were micro brews there was Yuengling Lager. When I was in school nothing else compared. Consistent straight ahead beer. Best on tap, avoid the bottles - after 30 years of drinking it the green bottles are consistently skunked. Order a burger & a Lager. You can't go wrong.

3.05/5  rDev -9.5%

For its style, this one might be at the top of my list. This ain't a bad beer at all for the price. In fact, this ain't a bad beer period.

Amber copper color. Nice head that becomes a collar and a little film. Even some lacing!

Smells like a good AAL. (I know, I know...is there such a thing? IMO, yes.)

Tastes like a superior AAL. The weakest aspect of this beer to me is the sweetness. It's got a little bit of hop.

Feels OK. Compared to other AALs it feels quite nice. Medium bodied. A little too much carbonation for my liking, but nothing too belch inducing.

My go-to AAL for hot summers days has been PBR, but I might have to change that. The problem is that Yuengling isn't readily available in my area. So I guess I'll have to stick with PBR or rent a U-Haul and fill it with Yuengling when I return from the beach.

3.15/5  rDev -6.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Heard the rave about this and once it came to CT i had to try it. Its now one of my go to casual brews after work. Tastes pretty good, little tangy towards the end of the sip but otherwise smooth, smelt bread-ish and malty. Looked clear with a thin white head overall decent beer and I continue to drink it happily

3.18/5  rDev -5.6%

Looks light reddish/copper.
Smells like cereal grains - similar to AAL smell but without the skunk.
Tastes like bready malt. Some hops but not much going on.
Feel - middle of the road, well-carbonated.
Overall good for what it is - maybe great if your baseline alternative is cheap macros.

3.11/5  rDev -7.7%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

I grew up with this beer. My family drank it and continues to. I have it quite a bit at family gatherings. I think it isn't a bad beer for what it is. It is highly carbonated which turns me off, but the malt/bready taste I get from it holds up pretty well.

3.85/5  rDev +14.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

I've spent a fair amount of time searching for my "go-to" beer for hanging out. Something that's not too expensive and not too heavy but still tasty and popular among others around the cooler. I've had some hits and many misses looking for this go-to beer, but I think this is it. I don't think I can do better than this for the qualities I'm looking at here. I'm about to throw out a fishing line and enjoy another one.

3.46/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a pint glass.

Appearance: Super clear amber with a thin white head.

Smell: Not overwhelming but it smells exactly what beer should smell like.

Taste: Malty. Bread, rice. Very smooth.

Mouthfeel: A good amount of carbonation. Easy to drink.

Overall: One of the best drinking beers around. Might not have the best flavor, but you can always count on a Yuengling.

3.5/5  rDev +3.9%

Had this on the golf course straight from the can I had forgot how good this is great taste great price I could drink several of these on a summer day

2.75/5  rDev -18.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 3

Really one of the worst popular american lagers. Has a light brown / redd-ish hue. Smells like sweet corn malt juice. Tastes like a soured rice milk, some light kager and syrup mixed. Worst of all is the feel. So heavy and dense. Just terrible.

I love this stuff, but my beer tastes have never been highbrow. This is my desert island beer. Never bad, and sometimes very good. IMO this is what hipsters should be drinking instead of PBR (although I like a good PBR now and then too.)

3.4/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

A nice clear amber color with a decent foamy white head that settles down fairly quickly but does produce some decent lacing.

The aroma is light caramel malt.

The taste is sweet caramel malt with just a hint of hops at the finish.

Light/medium body, smooth and very easy to drink.

Overall, certainly not a great beer, but well ahead of most mass market American beers. It would be a very pleasant refresher on a hot summer day, and it's relatively inexpensive.

3.06/5  rDev -9.2%

On tap in a pint glass for the purpose of this review.

It looks good. A clear reddish amber pour with a 1f white head. Bubbly carbonation and decent lacing.

Smell, taste, and feel are, in a word; Sweet!
Sure, there's some caramel malt, the sweetness overpowers every aspect of the drink.

I drink it on rare occasion when it's the most of the least selections, but I do not like it at all.

4.05/5  rDev +20.2%

My favorite of its tier of beers. Very easy to drink, not too light, not too dark. Goes well with meals. It's a beer that's very cheap, but I'm still hesistant whenever I'm forced to chug it. America's oldest brewery knows what they're doing.

4.06/5  rDev +20.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

My first review as a Beer Advocate member...

Everyone has their own tastes and preferences. Mine is that of Yuengling Traditional Lager. There is not a better go-to or easy drinking beer in my opinion. Smooth and refreshing, best drank ice cold with a burger. Whether you're drinking one or six, Yuengling comes through. For $9.99 a 12 pack, it's hard to go wrong. The saying is you pay for what you get, and I'll take Yuengling over Budweiser, Sam Adams Boston Lager, you name it.

This is my go-to beer. If I decide that I want a nice relaxing day on the back porch, it never disappoints. Even my non-beer drinking friends enjoy it. It's certainly no craft beer, but it beats everything else at the local carryout. The price is what really gets me. At less that 11 dollars for a 12 pack, you really can't beat it.

3.84/5  rDev +13.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

One of the best affordable American lagers on the market. Clean and refreshing affordable a great beer to have on hand for parties or weeknight dinners. Loses some points for being in green bottles, but if you're arvthe grocery store and want to pick up some solid beer, this is what you grab.

2.86/5  rDev -15.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

Best of the macro's in my opinion. Slight hints of caramel and just enough maltiness to keep it interesting but not cloying. Pretty heavy carbonation and medium-light body. On the nose there is a subtle whiff of butterscotch and mustiness, but the main thing here are the sweet malts.

Decent beer for a BBQ or a day at the beach.

3.98/5  rDev +18.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Of all the domestic cheaper session lagers, this is clearly the best. It actually looks like a microbrew product. It tastes like no other competitor, ie it tastes like beer. For the price, this is the best. Too bad they don't sell it in Michigan.

3.53/5  rDev +4.7%

Had this at the Bajorek's house for a family reunion. Better than I remembered for a basic lager. Probably better than the Narragansett I had last weekend. Better than Bud but certainly not a great beer.

Yuengling Traditional Lager from Yuengling Brewery