Yuengling Traditional Lager - Yuengling Brewery

Yuengling Brewery visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

American Amber / Red Lager |  4.40% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-28-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Yuengling Traditional Lager Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,618 | Hads: 5,922
3.11/5  rDev -7.7%

We poured this beer from the bottle into generic tasting pints. It appeared a glowing amber coloring and held a quarter finger head of bright white bubbles. This retained only briefly before disappearing into a singular ring of lacing circumferentially. No haze or sediment was noted, and carbonation appeared to be active and pervasive. The aroma was a blend of Styrofoam plastics, celery salt, label adhesive, pale and chalked wheaty graininess, filthy glass, white sugar, printer ink, wet white rice, raw garbanzo and navy beans, amber and crystal malts, raw but hot and melty plastics, and heavily metallic cereal grain grit. Following simply through the taste were notes of big toasty amber, caramel, and pale grain, crystal dust, wet wheatiness, chemical and Magic Marker phenols, raw vanilla extract, fresh cotton, hot corn, oat, lime rind, coiny metallics, smoky Spam water, savory yeastiness, adjuncty corn, and whey flour. The body was medium, but full stylistically, and the carbonation was medium. Heavy slurp and smack accompanied each sip, but this transitioned poorly to cream or froth. The mouth was left coated and wet, with little more to speak of. The abv was appropriate, and the beer sipped fine.

Overall, for some reason, people love this beer. At least amongst more commercial drinkers, and especially those hailing from any corner of Pennsylvania, people can’t seem to get enough. I guess you’ve gotta root for the home-team, right?! Ehh. For your more craft-tilted consumer, you will find little to hang your hat from in either major area, from aroma to taste. This is your classic, basic, simple adjuncty beer, with a slightly danker and toasty twinge due to its “amber” background. Thinking honestly here, most of you reading this have probably had a Yuengling or two in your day, as it is certainly a stepping stone into the craft realm. Having rated everything else available at our hotel bar in Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania, we took this as a rating nightcap, as we’d realized we hadn’t yet written it up yet. We’ll probably grab this at a wedding if there is nothing better to drink, be it either malted beverages or spirits, but it otherwise won’t soon meet our palate.

3.5/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Shared a pitcher while bowling. This really isn't a bad beer at all, considering the style. I'm not going to go into depth describing this one, but it's way better than BMC options. It's a great choice when the options are very limited.

3.25/5  rDev -3.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Pours clear, amber color. Almost no head. Smoky-citrus aroma. Malty flavor that's not too heavy. Slight lacing. This beer is good, and I drink it often since it's widely available in my area. However there's a malty aftertaste which I find undesirable, so I can't rate this one too highly.

4.5/5  rDev +33.5%

Old faithful here. Used to be my "everyday" beer and were it not for a more curious beer appetite, probably still would be. Easy to drink, tastes much better than anything coming out of St. Louis or Milwaukee.

4.01/5  rDev +19%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

pours with a decent head about 2 fingers compared to most craft beers of the type the smell and flavor are kind of mild and less then you would expect but are both very good none the less.
there are not a ton of different flavors to decipher as you drink this one it is just a good simple smooth drinking beer that can be bought most places for pretty close to the cost of cheaper light beers.

3.54/5  rDev +5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

12 oz bottle, poured into a pint glass

Appearance: Pours a clear, mahogany color, with a quarter of a finger of white-colored head that completely dissolved away into no head what-so-ever.

Aroma: Pretty nice aromas of toasted malt, caramel and brown sugar, black pepper, a touch of some floral, piney hops. There is also a touch of vinegar in the aroma too. Is that normal, or sis this beer skunky? I don’t remember this vinegar aroma before, but maybe I just never paid attention to it before.

Taste: Pretty good. Nice flavors of toasted malt and caramel-like sweetness, blended with some adjunct flavors of corn, finished with a touch of hops.

Mouthfeel: Medium/medium-thin, with practically no carbonation what-so-ever. With an ABV of 4.4%, there is no alcohol on the palate.

Overall: This is an decent beer, one that I enjoy, with decent, non-offensive, but not great either flavors of toasted malt, corn and caramel-like sweetness. It’s a good gateway into craft beer, beer, a good golf course beer, a good tailgate beer, and a good non-BMC restaurant beer. I’ll never turn one down, but I’m not picking up a six to bring home either.

3.31/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Felt like having a beer or two and some food that wasn't made in my kitchen today, so I went to the local Italian place. They were closed, so instead I ended up getting a couple of the new ham and cheese sandwich from Burger King and also a big ol' 24-ounce can of Yuengling from the gas station store next door.

Pours a little lighter than I remember from the bottled version, but once it's in the glass it starts looking more familiar--a light brown, maybe a little orangey? More head than I remember getting out of the bottled version, also--rather than the manageable amount that faded away pretty quickly, I got a huge fluffy head that filled up 2/3 of the glass on its own and/ had to wait a bit to shrink somewhat before I could fill the glass the rest of the way. No visible bubbles rising up from the bottom of the glass with this one, though.

Smells... well, a bit funky to be honest. Not awful, but there's something going on here that weirdly reminds me of a hair salon; I don't remember noticing that particular smell when I've had Yuengling before, though I do remember not liking the smell as much as the taste. Like with the Yuengling Black & Tan, smell is definitely the weakest point, though I think this one smells nicer.

Taste--it's bready! Just like I remember it being before. Not amazing with a half-dozen interesting flavors jumping out at you like some of the beers I've had since my last Yuengling, but definitely not bad at all. Taste doesn't hang around long after you swallow, and neither food nor the beer interfere with each other much, which is always a plus for something I chose to drink with a meal. I actually think this might be a little better than I remember the bottled version being, interestingly... I guess a difference between opaque can and somewhat-light-permitting green bottle? Or maybe just a freshness thing, if the big cans go quicker than the bottles or something.

Feel is good for the most part; pretty smooth, goes down easy, feeling just a little watery at the end but not to the point where it's offputting or anything. I remember the carbonation bugging me a little previous times I had this beer, but didn't notice any of that tonight, so either that's another bottle/can difference or I've just gotten more used to beer carbonation since then.

Overall, this is a simple but tasty lager that's available damn near everywhere for the same price you'd pay for something like Budweiser or Miller Lite (or even less, in some cases) without the "I'm giving money to a soulless worldwide megacorporation" guilt you might feel from buying one of those beers. Even if it's not one of your favorites, you have to appreciate that there's decent beer available at a great price. I was a little afraid I wouldn't like this one as much after trying some of the great beers I've stumbled across in the past month or so, but it turns out I had nothing to worry about--if anything, I might actually appreciate Yuengling's traditional lager a little more now than I did back before I'd tried more exotic beers like Belgian dubbels and IPAs. The only thing I'd ever change about this one is the smell, because... yeah, that's a bit funky. Now, off to finish the rest of this huge can!

3.43/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Draught from a fresh keg.

L: clear, Amber brown. Small, creamy head that went away fast.

S: sweet, biscuity malt. A bit of creamy vanilla and citrus, too.

T: biscuity malt with some light hops. Not too sweet, not too bitter. Pleasantly mild without being watery. Very clean.

F: light and bubbly. Crisp.

O: nice and easy sessionable American Amber lager that's relatively affordable and always easy to get. I really can't hate on it.

3.67/5  rDev +8.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

This used to be my go-to beer in college, but now that I've moved from Georgia to Missouri, I can no longer get Yuengling easily. After a few years not drinking this, I found trying it again refreshing. It is smooth but not bland, making it the type of beer I would want when I am not in the mood for anything in particular.

1.84/5  rDev -45.4%

This smelled and tasted like a skunks ass. Not sure if that is normal or not, either way I don't care because I would never have another. I can't think of any reason why anyone would choose this beer with so many better options out there.

4.21/5  rDev +24.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I am basing this beer off other macro lighter lagers out there. Had this on tap and it was very drinkable, didnt have that skunk/piss flavor that most of these lagers carry. Being from CA I dont have access to this so Im glad I got to try it

3.69/5  rDev +9.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

I'll never stop liking Yuengling as a good, inexpensive beer. It was my go-to in college before I started discovering craft beer, and it remains a beer I'll drink when it's available.

3.77/5  rDev +11.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

A: crystal clear; copper colored; 1 finger off white head that receded to a very thin collar; no lacing;

S: toffee, brown sugar;

T: all malt - toffee, brown sugar, toast; a bit of malt sweetness; virtually no bitterness until the very end and then it's pretty light;

M: medium bodied; moderate carbonation; smooth;

O: a nice example of the style;

4.07/5  rDev +20.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Ahh yes, good ole yueng lager...or just "Lager" if your from PA, its such a time honored classic that that's all you need to say to order one in most bars here. Anyway, its about time I give this icon the review it deserves.
A: Pours a beautiful clear amber with a 1/4 inch white head.
S: Malt, slight hint of hops, slight metallic sulfur, but only a little. No confusion that your drinking a lager here!
T: follows the nose, with a hint of citrus mid palate that quickly loses out to the malt again.
M: Finishes smooth & clean, but a bit on the sweet side.
O: The nostalgia this beer brings back is awesome! This was one of my first beers & probably the first one I actually didn't mind. Today, I appreciate it MUCH more then in my partying youth. Its actually a solid no frills American Lager...or at least what one SHOULD be.

3.34/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Thin head, no lacing. Light amber color. Aroma of a slightly skunky grain. Sweet tasting, slight hops and strong carbonation with a grainy & malty taste. Light bodied. Finishes sweet & easy.

2.76/5  rDev -18.1%

It's been a while since I drank a Yuengling. In my area of Pennsylvania, Yuengling is about as rare as soda. I used to drink a lot of it way back when, but as I grew older it just seemed... well, ordinary. And not all that good. But you know what, it's been a long time and here I am sitting in a crappy Olive Garden and the only stuff on tap is Blue Moon and Bud Light. So here... we ... go.

Yuengling on draught poured into a Pilsner glass:

Appearance: Actually not bad. A light copper color that refracts the light fairly well, with a thin white head that froths ever so slightly. There is some moderate carbonation on the surface, and delicate lacing travels along the side of the glass.

Aroma: Very metallic smelling, with some grassiness peeking through.

Taste: Rusty metal. Grainy water. Not much else.

Mouthfeel: Light to medium body, but extremely watery. Not a very pleasant mouthfeel. There is a bittersweet aftertaste that I thought was okay at the beginning, but by the end I could barely stand it anymore.

Overall: Well, it was not as bad as I thought it would be, but it wasn't really good either. The oldest brewery in America Yuengling might be, but in my humble opinion, there are so many better brews out there. I might try one again in a few years when I've mostly forgotten how mediocre it was, but I won't be coming back anytime soon. Well, unless I have no better choices, like I didn't have tonight.

3.6/5  rDev +6.8%

Similar to the other comments here, I used to drink this one a lot in my youth and before I got into craft beer. This is my first time drinking it since I've been rating on BA. A nice and refreshing beer. Very clean taste and crisp on the tongue. Not much via aroma; perhaps a slight malt. However the taste has a good deal of character. A very pleasant change of pace beer.

4.15/5  rDev +23.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 5

For 80 cents a can or $1 a bottle, you cannot find another beer better for the value. Yeah, it's a macro brew but if you just want to sit back and relax, I will go to this beer in a heartbeat any day over most the other macros out there.
The only downside about this beer - I feel bad about the people on the west coast who never get to experience it.

This is "my beer." It's my go-to, grab a six pack to enjoy an evening of beer drinking, beer.

I can't believe it is as good as it is. It TOTALLY DOMINATES the "mid-market" tier of beers, and kicks Miller/Bud/Coors/Old Style to the curb, down the street, and off into the river.

MARVELOUS flavor, color, balance, and depth. It's not a heavy beer by any means, but brings over just enough elements of those "bad boy" brews into an eminently drinkable and desirable beer.

It has this wonderful amber color that everyone is trying to copy. Rolling Rock has one, Bud Amber is another, and many more try to line this one up to compete on the same terms.

They all fail miserably. Yuengling Traditional Lager is the best tasting beer in this category that exits. While their other products are decent, this one takes the cake.

I give it a 4.25 because even though it is my favorite, I still reserve higher listings for truly perfect beers, like Sierra Nevada Pale Ale - the current dominant American Craft Masterpiece.

3.38/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 oz. Can

A: Pours crystal clear amber color with a large white head. The foam dies fast with just a thin layer left behind. lacing is pretty much absent.

S: Clean. Earthy. Some light grains.

T/M: Smooth and creamy. Malt sweetness and weak fruits. Hops are weak but do bring in a welcomed bitterness to help balance. Cascade hops? Grains. Metallic and sulfur taste. Semi-dry finish.

O: An honorable beer, nothing special. Pretty much what I expected from Americas oldest brewery. Weak on flavors but a step up from other mass produced beer. Tastes better straight out of the can or bottle.

3.25/5  rDev -3.6%

Will always get a 4 in my book because its the best beer for your price that money can buy. The bar I frequently go to and watch the Eagles play on Sundays sells $2 domestic beers, so my choices are Bud, Bud Lite, Miller Lite and Yuengling, its not even a question i take Yuengling. Always has that dark amber appearance, great smell, great taste and drinkablity where u can drink them all day long. Any time i complain about living in the NJ/PA area i always remember i have access to cheap Lager!

I'm very grateful that this beer has become a year-round delicacy in my state. A beer that's suitable for any season and is perfect when paired with a burger or a summertime cookout smorgasbord. A quality beer for $6 a sixer? You can't beat that.

4.25/5  rDev +26.1%

Yuengling beer is not meant to be a get drunk beer. Its meant to taste great. I go to department stores and can't always find something good in a case. Its always a 12 pack or 6 pack. I got a case of Samuel Adams, and the beer was to strong for me to like. Then there's the 36 packs for 20 dollars that don't have a good taste. Its like I have to force myself to drink. I like Yuengling because its in the middle. Kind of disappointed that there's not a lot of alcohol in it, but hey, for everything else, its good

3.49/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Dark orange amber color. Smell is a little hoppy. Sweetish malts. Medium carbonation. Taste is malty yet strong bold hop but not bitter. Have had many and will have many more in the future

Great beer if you're looking for a better taste than Coors, Miller, and Bud Light. I keep a stock of it in my fridge for grilling or just to watch football games.

Yuengling Traditional Lager from Yuengling Brewery