Yuengling Traditional Lager - Yuengling Brewery

Yuengling Brewery visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

American Amber / Red Lager |  4.40% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-28-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Yuengling Traditional Lager Alström Bros
Ratings: 5,712 | Reviews: 1,675
4.94/5  rDev +45.3%

In my opinion the best amber lager I've ever had!

4.05/5  rDev +19.1%

My favorite of its tier of beers. Very easy to drink, not too light, not too dark. Goes well with meals. It's a beer that's very cheap, but I'm still hesistant whenever I'm forced to chug it. America's oldest brewery knows what they're doing.

3.2/5  rDev -5.9%

It's a lager, I can't fancy it up too much.

A: 12oz bottle. Nice amber color with very little head.

S: Mildly sweet with some underlying hops.

T: Mildly sweet like it smells, with a nice little clean hop bitterness in the finish.

M: On the light side of medium. Just heavy enough to remind you that you're drinking beer.

D: You will wonder where it has all gone off to.

3.58/5  rDev +5.3%

I grew up in PA and this is the beer of choice at the pub, especially when bud and coors are next to it on the tap. It has a nice color in the glass with a thin layer of foam (i hate when they don't leave enough to capture the aroma). It has a nice carbonated feel in the mouth with the taste of mostly hops with a little hops.

4.08/5  rDev +20%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass, this has a 2 finger head that is both creamy and beige. The Carbonation sticks lightly to the sides of the glass which is filled with a bright amber body.

The smell is of bread and yeast, hops and malt, nothing really special, but has a very sweet aroma that is inviting. The smell is somewhat burnt, but not overpowering.

As you gulp down this traditional American Amber, the sweet lager flavor hits you first as the bready feeling crosses your palate. The malts and hops are almost equal in flavor, most sips leaning more towards the malt and sweet taste of the beer.

This beer bites sharply on the tip of your tongue and the lips, but it isn't any reason to dislike it. I enjoy the carbonation that hits you. The nice alcohol feeling that hits you is also very inviting, surprising for such a low ABV beer. However, 12 of these are easy enough to drink and have a good time.

4.85/5  rDev +42.6%

Yuengling is a beer for all seasons. Robust enough for the cold months, and refreshing enough for the heatwaves. Beautiful crispness and bite with each swig, and a nice amber color to complement a beautiful pour. But forget that man, this is enjoyed right from the bottle. When its ice cold it is delicious and dangerously drinkable. As it warms you get more of the hop bite which is pretty cool. Definitely a beer you can drink 12 of or enjoy with a meal. Yuengling is a terrific beer, in my opinion a perfect beer. I could drink this year round. Living in the northeast, the scarcity and mystique of it only adds to its legend. My favorite beer.

4.31/5  rDev +26.8%

First review here, figured I'd review my favorite all-around. First use of the ASTMO whatever thingy, so be gentle.

This is a solid beer I can order whether I wanted 1, 2, or 6+. I don't get sick of it. Its a lighter abv beer with a better and fuller taste to me than a bunch of macrobrews. That makes me really appreciative of this beer being available (cheaply too) all around me in Pennsylvania (and other East Coast states+Ohio/Florida)

A: Amber color, classic skinny bottle that stands out.
S: Smells like teen spirit
T: Better than your mass-produced macrobrew, has hint of malt/hops but when compared to heavier beers, its negligible.
M: Leaves mouth feeling crisp yet left behind definite marker of unique Yuengling taste. To me, stands out amongst its competitors. It is a different "crisp" from the Coors "Lite-type of crisp"
O: Overall, I love it. I'm biased as this is my parents favorite drink and I feel like I subsequently inherited in college and after moving to Philadelphia. It retains a unique taste of care and quality despite prices on par/below local breweries. That and I had the opportunity to meet Dick Yuengling, hes friggin' awesome.

4.37/5  rDev +28.5%

Yuengling lager is without a doubt my personal favorite domestic beer. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy all beer, but when it comes to domestics I'll pick a cold yuengling lager over Budweiser, coors, etc. any day. Keep in mind, my rating and review on this is based off of local domestics, not all beers in general.

It's got a very robust taste, no bad after taste at all. Foams nicely when poured in a glass. Goes down smooth every time. All in all a terrific beer, especially for the price. I'd recommend this beer to anyone.

3.66/5  rDev +7.6%

Experience must count for something, because "America's Oldest Brewery" could definitely teach the big three a few things about making a quality lager. It's darker than most, almost an amber. It's richer and fuller as well. Definitely a lager, but I don't think its as crisp as some...its just really smooth. I've had it each of the past four weeks for tailgating...great session brew.

2.15/5  rDev -36.8%

A friend who drinks only Busch was recently in Pa. and bought me a case. So what do I do with the other 23 bottles?
Appearence-Kind of a clear yellow color. Very little head. Gives new meaning to the song "Tiny Bubbles".

Smell-Not much.

Taste-Not alot of flavor. Almost like a light beer . Nothing stood out. I am going to have another and see if I change my rating. Just had a second one with supper. Could not finish it.

Mouthfeel-I did feel it.

Drinkability-Its drinkable but so is water. Another hot summer day beer served very cold with a Salami sandwich and a White Owl cigar. That might work.

3.3/5  rDev -2.9%

(bottle - 12 oz) Pours a deep golden brown with very few bubbles and not a lot of head. Looks like a beer and not apple juice like many other lagers. Very faint malty aroma with an even fainter hint of fruit. Smooth tasting with little aftertaste. Not very bitter, definitely tastes like a beer. Nice smooth finish. On the whole, one of the best beers I've ever had. Not too overpowering in taste, aroma or carbonation. Makes for smooth drinking. Doubly good for coming out of a green bottle. Most other green bottled beers are very iffy, but not this one.

3.76/5  rDev +10.6%

Yuengling pours a beautiful caramel color. It's aroma has a nice hop bitterness to it and balanced by a nice sweet malt. The taste is well balanced between malt and hop and has a nice crisp finish. Its goes down easy and is very easy to drink.

I remember the first time I had a Yuengling and I can never refuse one ever since. It has a good amalgam of everything you want in a beer.

3.46/5  rDev +1.8%

I poured from a bottle into a small cone shaped glass. The head was about a finger and faded fast. I held the glass up to the light to reveal a nice clear amber color to the beer. The aroma had a nice caramel malt smell with little to no hint of hops. Taste was smooth with the malt being the main feature, nice caramel quality fading to some of the yeasty/bready character. Mouth feel is full with the generous but not overly done carbonation. I've had a few mass produced lagers like Budweiser and Michelob, and This beer tops even the Michelob. It's not exactly a craft beer nor an uber mass produced one like Budweiser.... It's just a good solid lager

2.16/5  rDev -36.5%
look: 2.75 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

Ah, Yuengling, the crappy beer that seems to get a pass because it is from a small brewery. While this is not the worse beer, it is worse than Budweiser. It reminds me of a stronger tasting Miller Lite due to that mystery hint of fart aftertaste. The taste is not exactly terrible, but it seems like a PBR that got hot and then was put back in the fridge; at the same time, it can taste a little more complex than your typical gas station grade of beer.

I have always found all Yuengling products low quality and in the vein of Miller High Life or Genesee Cream Ale. This goes even more so for the Traditional Lager. The initial taste is bad for every time I have had it, and it becomes increasingly drinkable the more you have. However, there is a weird, sticky mouth feel to it, and again that subtle but troubling aftertaste. It also gives many people almost instant gas that has notes of that aftertaste, which makes it even harder to pallet.

This beer is sub-par, and I do not know why people claim to like it. It isn't hoppy, but it is sunky. It is a beer I don't exactly hate, but can go years and years without.

Poured from a can into a tumbler at 38 degrees (F). Clear amber color with a medium-coarse head that quickly dissipates. Light carbonation is evident.

Malty smell with vanilla notes. In the past I've found the draft to have more of the vanilla character. There's also a bit of a nutty tinge.

Very malt forward on the palate, the vanilla notes come through too. Semi-dry finish with a little walnut accent. Not much in the way of hops, besides giving balance, I suppose.

Medium bodied with an evident creaminess, although this cleans up a bit on the finish. Light to medium carbonation. Alcohol not very apparent.

As far as American macro-lagers go, I believe that this is the best. Certainly much better than the big three (and are any of those American anymore anyway?). This has been my "lowest common denominator" for some time.

3.93/5  rDev +15.6%

I really did enjoy this beer! It's taste is very appealing and would drink a lot more. It smells like a good beer and tastes like a good beer! I really suck at this review stuff but honestly, it's a damn good beer and I would much rather drink this over Bud Light any day.

3.5/5  rDev +2.9%

This is my "go to" cheaper beer. Easy to drink and great taste for the price.

3.53/5  rDev +3.8%

Had this at the Bajorek's house for a family reunion. Better than I remembered for a basic lager. Probably better than the Narragansett I had last weekend. Better than Bud but certainly not a great beer.

4.05/5  rDev +19.1%

Yuengling is probably the beer I drink the most. It's not the best brew out there, but compared to the lionshare of its ilk (the American macro lager), it stands head and shoulders above them, and usually a bit less expensive to boot (currently $7.99 for a 12-pack).

For home, I'll pick up a 12-pack, but when I'm out, I'll generally go with the draft pitcher (there's nothing quite like it). Yuengling has a nice amber color to it, not too deep, but definitely not the straw yellow that some other beers have. There's a decent white head, and that leaves prominent lacing around the pitcher/glass as you finish it off. The taste is good and substantial. It might not be the best beer out there, but this isn't your general corn swill either. Nice and malty with some hops in the finish, this one isn't particularly heavy, but it's definitely not watered-down either. The mouthfeel is rather smooth, with some nice bubbly carbonation that DOESN'T remind you of soda.

Basically, you could do far, far worse than Yuengling. It's not the best beer out there, but for $5.50 a pitcher at Wings and Ale, it's a far cry better than the other brews on tap. After a long day at work, it tastes a whole lot better too...

3.45/5  rDev +1.5%

When you want a good tasting cheap beer this works. I prefer the Black & Tan to this. So I agree this is a beer to take out fishing, mowing the lawn, or washing your car. There's not a strong hop taste or smell. Amber coloring. A bit on the sweet side. Being from PA I have this fairly often and will continue to.

3.68/5  rDev +8.2%

Poured from a bottle into a mug. The head was thick at first, but quickly dissipated. Wonderful amber color. Pleasant aroma, but nothing incredible. I think I may have chilled it to too cold a temperature, so I didn't taste it fully, but it was quite palatable and tasty despite this. Overall, not my favorite for savoring, but good for a barbecue or party where you don't want to insult your guests with Bud. I'm currently living in PA, so this is currently my local brew of choice for relaxing with friends. A great choice that won't drain your cash flow.

2.86/5  rDev -15.9%

Pint glass. Pours a clear light orange with a small collar of white foam that sticks around for a bit, some bands of thin lace.

Not alot going on in the nose, some slight grainy notes and sweetness, a touch of sourness, no real hop presence.

The same graininess and slight malt sweetness leads the taste, again the hint of sourness, hops are just minimally present to provide balance, very basic bitterness.

Light bodied, somewhat watery, good carbonation.

Easy drinking, good for what it is, better than most macros, but not very worth seeking out unless only BMC is around.

3.21/5  rDev -5.6%

First let me say that I'm so proud of Yuengling for being America's Oldest Brewery. If you ever have the chance to take the tour, do it, it's awesome.

The best thing about the lager is the way it pours - absolutely amber, with an inch and a half of creamy foam head. Head disappears fairly quickly, but maybe that's my fault because I'm drinking it.

Shame on me for buying bottles - it's a bit skunked. Green bottles. Next time, cans. Bought it because it was cheap. I've had it before and enjoyed it. Plus it's local, which I love.

It is the perfect "lawnmower" beer, mow the lawn at 90* and humid, pop a cold one or two of these and "ahhhh".

Cans, get the cans! I recommend it.

3.28/5  rDev -3.5%

Yuengling Traditional Lager is an american Milestone. I consider it the only decent macro made in America. I'm from the Philly area, so this stuff is lager you get if you order a lager.

The pour is a light brown color, and it doesn't smell great. I don't usually get canned beers, but I was running low on cash, and I think this may have affected the smell. The taste is solid, it's nothing fancy, but it's decent. You can definitely drink a lot of these.

I will always come back to this beer, especially when the cash is low. The best cheaper beer out there.

3.21/5  rDev -5.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Miles ahead of BMC, still well behind good craft beers. It is excellent at what it is, an alternative to mass produced American light beer swill. Has a sulphury taste to it I don't like, other than that, guzzle up. It's what you drink when you're out of college and need to appear matured, but just want to get trashed.

Yuengling Traditional Lager from Yuengling Brewery