Yuengling Black & Tan - Yuengling Brewery

to view more.
Ratings: 2,107 | Reviews: 665
3.22/5  rDev 0%
look: 3 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 2.75

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass. Pours with half a fingers worth of off-white foam that dissipates into a single foam line within 10 seconds. Black in color with a red wine colored tint. Has mild aromas of roasted malts and hint of fruity hops that combine with the infamously typical adjunct lager smell. Initial taste is of watered down roasted malts, a hint fruity hops, and an unpleasantly bitter chemical flavor. Adjunct malt flavors from the lager portion enter shortly after, thankfully nullifying the bitter chemical flavor. Fruity hop flavors increase slightly after malt flavors enter as roasted malt flabors completely disappear. Carbonation is mild. Beer is light, but creamy. Leaves the mouth quenched of thirst.

3.23/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

The crisp malty flavor is what'd you'd expect based on the darkness of the brew. Though the hops are lacking, the beer is well-rounded compared to most other commercial brews.
I'd drink it again if it were available, but i wouldn't necessarily buy it for myself or recommend it.

4.64/5  rDev +44.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

growing not far from Pottsville PA, I always enjoy the taste of yuengling products. Black and Tan to me is there best product. I like the smell and taste of this product.

3.36/5  rDev +4.3%

I have always enjoyed this beer.

3.45/5  rDev +7.1%

Not worth the drive but take one if someone offers

2.27/5  rDev -29.5%

Living close to Yuengling my entire life I have had more than my fair share of their suds. If I have a choice, I will drink their porter. However on several occasions the porter was not available so I defaulted to this. Nearly every time I drink this beer (even if its only a bottle or 2) I get the shits. A couple weeks ago a friend and I were talking about how this beer gives us the shits, so we bought some and sure enough both of us ended up with the shits!

Hope you enjoy the review...I have nothing else to add other than I had to write this review since my rate was an outlier that demanded I write one.

3.5/5  rDev +8.7%

If there's beer in my fridge it's probably this one. I know it's no Belgian White or anything but this beer has just about everything I need from one. The flavor is crisp and dark and a 12 won't break my budget.

3.89/5  rDev +20.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 5

Pours a nicely dark almost coke like color with a tan finger and a half almost two head.smells of chocolate and traditional lager behind it. Taste of chocolate and Maybe a little bit of coffee with the flavor of the traditional lager in the back ground very ever so slightly creamy and goes down smooth and very refreshing for a dark beer compared to most I've had not quite a craft beer but not just your normal either definitely recommend it to someone who wants to get into craft beers excellent place to start

2.93/5  rDev -9%

Pours a dark brown color. Holding it to the light it appears burnt red in color. Very little head, minimal lacing. Aroma is roasted malts some cocoa and coffee, but a main wiff of corn resides. Tatse follows the nose, slightly more pleasant than the smell. Mouthfeel is light, somewhat watery but overall not bad. I would just rather thier porter. For black and tans i just make my own. its not bad for the price, but it is what it is.

3.58/5  rDev +11.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pours dark brown little creamy tan head, smells roasty with crisp crackery malts, tastes of malts slight sunflower seed, smooth lasting finish. Decent beer for less than a dollar a bottle.

3.13/5  rDev -2.8%

A nice dark nearly black color. it is an entirely enjoyable beer considering the price.. I got a dozen of the the 16 ounce cans for one dollar each the other day.. No, not the best ever but I enjoyed them. Not a top of the line brew but you know that when you purchase them...

2.88/5  rDev -10.6%

Grainy and burnt flavors from the porter mix with the base Yuengling that just doesn't hold up to the porter flavors. A bit metallic with some cocoa, drinkable, but not the easiest to get through.

3.5/5  rDev +8.7%

My go to cheap easy drinking beer.

4.25/5  rDev +32%

Easy drinking. Smooth finish. Good price

I like the darker beer and this was great. Strong beer flavor. It wasn't that heavy either.

2.47/5  rDev -23.3%

There is nothing really special about this one. the lager is so much better.

3.13/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

A - Nice moderate tan head over a dark brown, opaque body. Lacing is major.

S - Grains and roast notes. Pretty subdued.

T - Following the nose, with caramel and meal, mingling with a bitter roast bite in the middle, resolving to a sweeter, doughy element at the end.

M - Light and abrasive. Not great.

O - Not a favorite. Too light for a good porter.

3.51/5  rDev +9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

My go to. Good all around decent flavors, drinks like a porter. Heck @ $4.99 six pack! Bring them on! Nice & kool!

2.92/5  rDev -9.3%

Liked this as a nice cheap every-day type beer as I always enjoyed black and tans. Then made the mistake of drinking one after having some very good IPA's. It's exactly what the ratings give it, an ok alternative to a black n tan draft.

3.34/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a pint glass.

Appearance: Dark brown with a thick beige head that dissipates to a lacing.

Smell: Roasted malt, some chocolate. Smells mostly like a porter.

Taste: Like the smell. Roasted malt with caramel and chocolate. A hint of the yuengling lager.

Mouthfeel: Smooth, but very carbonated.

Overall: A nice change from the typical yuengling beer. I would have it again.

2.84/5  rDev -11.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

Not an easy drinker or exciting flavor profile.

3.03/5  rDev -5.9%
look: 4 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

this is really a go to beer for me when I need a break from hi octane craft brews. It's not the greatest beer in the world, however, for an everyday affordable beer this is definitely one of my favorites.

Blah... What a waste, if you want a good black and tan... Just make one.

3.19/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

My Brother-in-Law was ranting an raving about this beer that they got in Tennessee and he gave me one for the road.

A - Deep brown color. A very deep mahogany color in the light. Light khaki head with no staying power. Almost no lacing.

S - Very light porter character with some chocolate, roastiness, and some light lager tones. Less burnt roastiness than a Guinness but not as deep.

T - The beer has a start like a low abv porter (imagine that!). The light chocolate and gentle roasted character are at the fore tongue. In the middle there is some traditional light lager flavor with some light graininess and a generic sweet lager flavor that is typical of domestic commercial beers. The finish is crisp with a light toffee, caramel sweetness and the remnants of a lager beer.
M - Light mouth-feel. Moderate carbonation. Very watery and thin/soft on the palate. Similar to a Guinness black and tan but with less roasted bite and more of a lager beer finish.

Overall, not a beer that I would consider "Craft". It's thin and doesn't have much flavor but the flavors that are there are ok. I would suggest they just cut the water in half and try again. I bet the beer would be a winner at 9% ABV and the same flavor profile. If you are just trying out dark beers and think that something like a real porter or stout would dissuade you then this would be a good baby step in the right direction.

Glass- SA Perfect Pint Glass

3.14/5  rDev -2.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

12 oz bottle, poured into a pint glass

Appearance: Pours a beautiful, completely opaque, pitch-black color with a quarter of a finger of white-colored head that quickly dissolved away into a thin lacing of foam that partially covered the top of the beer.

Aroma: Very aromatic, with strong aromas of bready, roasted malt, imparting notes of freshly toasted dark bread, ground coffee beans, dark chocolate, dark molasses, and brown sugar.

Taste: Pretty good, but not great. Strong flavors of bready, roasted malt up front, followed by some brown sugar and caramel-like sweetness and finished by some slightly sour, slightly vinegary, corn or rice adjunct-like flavors.

Mouthfeel: Medium to medium/thin, and slightly effervescent. With an ABV of 4.6%, there is no alcohol on the palate.

Overall: This is a decent beer, possessing some nice roasted malt flavors, mingled with some semi-sweet and semi-sour (due I guess to corn adjuncts). It’s pleasant, but very forgettable. I’d much rather have a traditional Black & Tan (half and half of Guinness and Newcastle) or a Yuengling Porter or Oktoberfest over this beer, but I wouldn’t turn it down if offered.

to view more.