Yuengling Black & Tan - Yuengling Brewery

poor

Yuengling Brewery visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Black & Tan |  4.70% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-07-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Yuengling Black & Tan Alström Bros
2.89/5  rDev -10.2%

3.88/5  rDev +20.5%

I like this beer except for that sweetness in the middle. Price makes this a high value beer and the low alcohol content (4.7 on this site) is a bonus for me.

3.43/5  rDev +6.5%

2.94/5  rDev -8.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

3.54/5  rDev +9.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

4.13/5  rDev +28.3%

I love this beer in cans only.

2.96/5  rDev -8.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

2.85/5  rDev -11.5%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

3.54/5  rDev +9.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

3.48/5  rDev +8.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

12/14...pours dark brown, light reflects a deep red. Fast fizz, little foam. Small roasted nose, lighter malt. Taste is a lighter dark malt that fades fast and finishes like a lager. Kind of exactly what I expected.

2.46/5  rDev -23.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.25

Not bad for a pre-mixed black and tan beer. Dark with a slight bitterness.

2.86/5  rDev -11.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

Picked up a 12-pack of this a while back when all the Yuengling 12-packs were on sale for $8.99 at the local Food Lion. I've had 5 of them so far, and this review is based primarily on the most recent one I had with some observations from the previous ones mixed in.

Looks pretty nice. Very, very dark color--almost black, though there's some visible dark redness in there too. When I put my little LED flashlight up against one side of the glass I could only see a circle of red LED dots on the other side rather than any of the actual flashlight beam. To compare to other beers I've had, the color's lighter than Guinness but darker than Negra Modelo. Head is a light tan-ish color, there's more there than the regular Yuengling lager but most of it bubbles away fairly fast, though for a while afterward a little bit hangs around on the surface.

The smell is probably my least favorite part of this beer. It's similar to the regular Yuengling but a bit stronger, and mostly in a bad way--I'm not entirely sure how to describe it beyond that. The smell changes a bit as the beer warms up slightly and the head fades away, but it doesn't really become any more (or less) pleasant.

Taste is pretty nice for the most part. Similar to regular Yuengling but not quite as sweet and with a bit more "darker" flavors mixed in; there's bread and just a bit of nice chocolatey taste that tends to show up more in the aftertaste than while you're first drinking it. If the flavor stayed the same or got better as it warmed, or the emphasis was more on the chocolatey flavors, I'd probably rate this higher... as is, however, you definitely want to drink this straight out of the fridge and finish it before it warms too much. I assume the iffy flavors and the changes to the smell that start showing up when it warms too much are coming from the lighter beer they've mixed their porter with to make this, as I've read that a lot of the lighter lagers are best served cold and don't tend to hold up well at higher temperatures compared to darker beers.

Oddly, the first time I had one of these (after eating a ham and cheese sandwich) I felt REALLY full afterward, more so than with any other beer I've had with or after a meal so far. I figure it's worth mentioning that this is definitely a bit more filling than other beers I've had, or at least the others I've had with food. Also unusual is that the first one I had didn't seem to drop off so much as it warmed, in fact I actually ended up liking it the whole time--maybe this is a beer that stands up better when paired with food than on its own?

Overall, I'd say that I liked the "black" half of this beer but am unsure that the "tan" really added much to the mixture. I haven't had Yuengling Porter and Yeungling Premium Beer individually (stores around here only seem to carry their Traditional Lager, Black & Tan, and Light Lager) so I can't really compare the Black & Tan to each of its component parts just yet, but I'm assuming I--and anyone else who likes those chocolatey "darker beer" flavors--would probably prefer the Porter over this one.

4.04/5  rDev +25.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Poured from 12 oz. bottle to a pint glass.

A: Pours a dark brown with a ruby hue in the light. 1/2 in. tan head that fades fast.
S: Cereal, rich toasty grains, faint hint of booze.
T: Deep toasty grains, hint of coffee, black toast, rich body. Crispy ending because of the mix with the premium beer.
M: Light-Medium. Nice and crisp. Overall light taste.
O: Good flavor and a great lightness and crisp taste. Great for the summer months if you want a darker beer. Cheap as well.

3.48/5  rDev +8.1%

3.75/5  rDev +16.5%

3.52/5  rDev +9.3%

3.25/5  rDev +0.9%

Pours a dark brown to almost black color with a small 1/2 inch head that disappears quickly leaving a little lacing down a goblet style glass.

Smell is of malts. I dont get much more but it has enough to get a good whiff of.

Taste is pretty decent. The sweetness from the malts, reminds me alot of the traditional lager. At the end I get some roasted malt taste of maybe coffee and chocolate, theres not much of it but I get a little taste.

Mouthfeel is medium. Probably a little fuller than the traditional lager.

Overall, a good beer. Real similar to the traditional lager so if you like that then you will probably like this. Gives a little something different from the traditional however it is ever so slight.

3.4/5  rDev +5.6%

2.32/5  rDev -28%

3.5/5  rDev +8.7%

4.75/5  rDev +47.5%

My go to "cheep beer"! How can I rate it any less then Great?

4.04/5  rDev +25.5%