Yuengling Black & Tan - Yuengling Brewery

Yuengling Brewery visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Black & Tan |  4.70% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-07-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Yuengling Black & Tan Alström Bros
Reviews: 661 | Hads: 2,200
3.66/5  rDev +13.7%

12 ounce can into pint glass, canned on 6/22/2015. Pours crystal clear dark reddish brown color with a 2 finger fairly dense tan head with good retention, that reduces to a small cap that lingers. Nice spotty soapy lacing clings on the glass, with a moderate amount of streaming carbonation retaining the head. Aromas of chocolate, cocoa, caramel, light coffee, brown bread, toasted biscuit, nuttiness, light herbal/dark fruit, and yeast/toasted earthiness. Okay aromas with good balance and complexity of dark/roast/bready malt and light earthy hop notes; with poor strength. Taste of chocolate, cocoa, caramel, light coffee, brown bread, toasted biscuit, nuttiness, light herbal, and toasted earthiness. Light herbal/roasted bitterness on the finish; with lingering notes of chocolate, cocoa, brown bread, toasted biscuit, nuttiness, and herbal/toasted earthiness on the finish for a good bit. Very nice balance, complexity, and robustness of dark/roast/bready malt and light earthy hop flavors; with a nice roasted bitterness/sweetness balance and zero cloying flavors after the finish. Very clean flavors with minimal yeast notes in the taste. Medium carbonation and light-medium bodied; with a very smooth, fairly creamy/bready, and lightly sticky/chalky mouthfeel that is good. Alcohol is very well hidden with zero warming present after the finish as expected of 4.7%. Overall this is a nice black and tan style. All around good balance, complexity, and robustness of dark/roast/bready malt and light earthy hop flavors; and very smooth and easy to drink. A nicely enjoyable offering.

3.09/5  rDev -4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Pours dark brown with a tan head. Smells like bread and a little roast. Taste is similar. Like a pale lager mixed with a porter. Not very chocolatey or coffee tasting, just a little roasty with some lighter tasting malts. Well balanced, but not my style. As someone who loves the porter and stout flavors, this isn't enough for me, it's only halfway there. I can appreciate it for what it is though. Decent popular beer.

2.93/5  rDev -9%

Thee appearance is promising, dark with a strong head, but the aroma and flavors fall short. Not much at all in the way of the maltiness and coffee-flavor advertised, this comes across thin and watery without much more flavor than their standard lager.

3.4/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: Pours a deep ruby-brown with average head of tan bubbles. Almost no lace here.

Aroma: Caramel malty, toffee.

Taste: A bit roasty, with hints of burnt chocolate but wrapped up in a light body. This is avery drinkable ale/lager, though not one I’d recommend for being overly complex. Feels a lot like a traditional brown ale. Not bad.

3.46/5  rDev +7.5%

This is a beer that looks more exciting than it tastes. It pours almost completely black, looking like a porter. Smells a tiny bit malty, but not like much else. Tastes malty too, but not like the roasted malts you'd expect in a porter. If I didn't see the color of this beer I'd probably just think I was drinking Yuengling's lager. It's not too heavy, not too light. Overall it's good, not great, but I probably will buy it again because it's a decent price.

2.89/5  rDev -10.2%

Pours very dark, nearly black in color from the bottle into a glass. Not much head retention.

Aroma is mildly malty. I almost seem to pick up a hint of smoke as well. Sometimes I notice it, other times I don't.

At first sip, I think the flavor might be on to something decent, but the joy is quickly moderated by a taste of regular yuengling. It claims to be their porter mixed with yuenling lager, but I woud definitely call the flavor of this beer much more similar to yuengling lager. It's a touch better, but not by much.

Looks nice in the glass, doesn't do anything to excite my taste buds.

3.91/5  rDev +21.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a 12 OZ bottle into a pint glass at Gettysburg Eddie's in Gettysburg, PA. This is a brown colored beer with a tan head. The aroma is slightly sweet with some coffee and malt notes. The flavor is full of malt and some caramel. A nice black & tan.

3.29/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Best described as a porter that also tastes like a lager, a decent drink that isn't overly sweet or bitter but it does begin to taste dull once you toward the end of the bottle.

4.13/5  rDev +28.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

yuengling traditional is my everyday beer but when i want something different and can't find anything new I pick this up to change things up! it's pretty good.

Tastes like a porter that has had the rough edges smoothed out by a lager. Pretty much exactly what it is.

Wouldn't seek out and purchase again, but drinkable.

3.73/5  rDev +15.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Really surprised with this one. Wasn't expecting much but had a good chocolate, coffee malt flavor. Light body with some carbonation present. Refreshing and pleasant to drink.

3.15/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

A: dark brown and clear with reddish brown edges; fat tan head slimmed and trailed some lace

S: smoky roasty aroma intermingle with something grainier and hoppy

T: dark malts from the porter underline the lighter hops and malts of the pale ale

M: medium-light and amply carbonated, some light char and hop aftertaste

O: nothing exciting here - probably more fun to make your own black & tan with beers of your choosing - decent and drinkable, but no more.

3.48/5  rDev +8.1%

When you pour a glass, it looks delicious. You feel like you're about to get a wonderful experience. The beer is a nice dark brown, almost black, with a smooth dark head. You take a sip and you're immediately, albeit lightly, disappointed. The taste is moderately sour, and the whole time you're drinking it, you just think "Yeah, this is really okay." It's a perfectly unremarkable beer, and it was a decent switch-up from my usual go-to, Yuengling Lager. However, it's not something I would buy again.

4.04/5  rDev +25.5%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I like this beer as an alternative to a heavy stout. Simple smooth taste but has some of the body of a dark beer. Nice on a summers day when I want a dark beer but nothing overpowering.

2.23/5  rDev -30.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

A: [2.50] Twist top... that was weird (been a while since had one of those). Beer is dark brown to black. It formed no head at all. I could not find and ABV listing or any dates or date codes.

S: [2.00] Wet cardboard. Maybe some smoke scent. Like if you dumped water on burning logs. Some kind of vegetable - like beets.

T: [2.25] Cream corn. Sweet malts.

M: [2.50] Above average carbonation. Prickly mouthfeel. Watery.

O: [2.25] This beer is not good. It does not shine in any aspect. I think the nose is the most "off" but there is really nothing that is "on". I held out hope that it might surprise me. It did not. Pass.

3.74/5  rDev +16.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

I like this one the most from Yuengling. Stouts are hard to come by in my area so it's my go to beer usually and ends up being cheaper as well. Good for ale drinkers and is a good start for those interested in stouts and porters.

3.22/5  rDev 0%
look: 3 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 2.75

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass. Pours with half a fingers worth of off-white foam that dissipates into a single foam line within 10 seconds. Black in color with a red wine colored tint. Has mild aromas of roasted malts and hint of fruity hops that combine with the infamously typical adjunct lager smell. Initial taste is of watered down roasted malts, a hint fruity hops, and an unpleasantly bitter chemical flavor. Adjunct malt flavors from the lager portion enter shortly after, thankfully nullifying the bitter chemical flavor. Fruity hop flavors increase slightly after malt flavors enter as roasted malt flabors completely disappear. Carbonation is mild. Beer is light, but creamy. Leaves the mouth quenched of thirst.

3.23/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

The crisp malty flavor is what'd you'd expect based on the darkness of the brew. Though the hops are lacking, the beer is well-rounded compared to most other commercial brews.
I'd drink it again if it were available, but i wouldn't necessarily buy it for myself or recommend it.

4.64/5  rDev +44.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

growing not far from Pottsville PA, I always enjoy the taste of yuengling products. Black and Tan to me is there best product. I like the smell and taste of this product.

2.27/5  rDev -29.5%

Living close to Yuengling my entire life I have had more than my fair share of their suds. If I have a choice, I will drink their porter. However on several occasions the porter was not available so I defaulted to this. Nearly every time I drink this beer (even if its only a bottle or 2) I get the shits. A couple weeks ago a friend and I were talking about how this beer gives us the shits, so we bought some and sure enough both of us ended up with the shits!

Hope you enjoy the review...I have nothing else to add other than I had to write this review since my rate was an outlier that demanded I write one.

3.5/5  rDev +8.7%

If there's beer in my fridge it's probably this one. I know it's no Belgian White or anything but this beer has just about everything I need from one. The flavor is crisp and dark and a 12 won't break my budget.

3.89/5  rDev +20.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 5

Pours a nicely dark almost coke like color with a tan finger and a half almost two head.smells of chocolate and traditional lager behind it. Taste of chocolate and Maybe a little bit of coffee with the flavor of the traditional lager in the back ground very ever so slightly creamy and goes down smooth and very refreshing for a dark beer compared to most I've had not quite a craft beer but not just your normal either definitely recommend it to someone who wants to get into craft beers excellent place to start

2.93/5  rDev -9%

Pours a dark brown color. Holding it to the light it appears burnt red in color. Very little head, minimal lacing. Aroma is roasted malts some cocoa and coffee, but a main wiff of corn resides. Tatse follows the nose, slightly more pleasant than the smell. Mouthfeel is light, somewhat watery but overall not bad. I would just rather thier porter. For black and tans i just make my own. its not bad for the price, but it is what it is.

3.58/5  rDev +11.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pours dark brown little creamy tan head, smells roasty with crisp crackery malts, tastes of malts slight sunflower seed, smooth lasting finish. Decent beer for less than a dollar a bottle.

3.13/5  rDev -2.8%

A nice dark nearly black color. it is an entirely enjoyable beer considering the price.. I got a dozen of the the 16 ounce cans for one dollar each the other day.. No, not the best ever but I enjoyed them. Not a top of the line brew but you know that when you purchase them...

Yuengling Black & Tan from Yuengling Brewery