Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Yuengling Black & Tan - Yuengling Brewery

Yuengling Black & TanYuengling Black & Tan

poor

Yuengling Brewery visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Black & Tan |  4.70% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-07-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Yuengling Black & Tan Alström Bros
Reviews: 653 | Hads: 2,157

Tastes like a porter that has had the rough edges smoothed out by a lager. Pretty much exactly what it is.

Wouldn't seek out and purchase again, but drinkable. (160 characters)

3.73/5  rDev +15.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Really surprised with this one. Wasn't expecting much but had a good chocolate, coffee malt flavor. Light body with some carbonation present. Refreshing and pleasant to drink. (178 characters)

3.15/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

A: dark brown and clear with reddish brown edges; fat tan head slimmed and trailed some lace

S: smoky roasty aroma intermingle with something grainier and hoppy

T: dark malts from the porter underline the lighter hops and malts of the pale ale

M: medium-light and amply carbonated, some light char and hop aftertaste

O: nothing exciting here - probably more fun to make your own black & tan with beers of your choosing - decent and drinkable, but no more. (459 characters)

3.48/5  rDev +7.4%

When you pour a glass, it looks delicious. You feel like you're about to get a wonderful experience. The beer is a nice dark brown, almost black, with a smooth dark head. You take a sip and you're immediately, albeit lightly, disappointed. The taste is moderately sour, and the whole time you're drinking it, you just think "Yeah, this is really okay." It's a perfectly unremarkable beer, and it was a decent switch-up from my usual go-to, Yuengling Lager. However, it's not something I would buy again. (503 characters)

4.04/5  rDev +24.7%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I like this beer as an alternative to a heavy stout. Simple smooth taste but has some of the body of a dark beer. Nice on a summers day when I want a dark beer but nothing overpowering. (185 characters)

2.23/5  rDev -31.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

A: [2.50] Twist top... that was weird (been a while since had one of those). Beer is dark brown to black. It formed no head at all. I could not find and ABV listing or any dates or date codes.

S: [2.00] Wet cardboard. Maybe some smoke scent. Like if you dumped water on burning logs. Some kind of vegetable - like beets.

T: [2.25] Cream corn. Sweet malts.

M: [2.50] Above average carbonation. Prickly mouthfeel. Watery.

O: [2.25] This beer is not good. It does not shine in any aspect. I think the nose is the most "off" but there is really nothing that is "on". I held out hope that it might surprise me. It did not. Pass. (644 characters)

3.74/5  rDev +15.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

I like this one the most from Yuengling. Stouts are hard to come by in my area so it's my go to beer usually and ends up being cheaper as well. Good for ale drinkers and is a good start for those interested in stouts and porters. (229 characters)

3.22/5  rDev -0.6%
look: 3 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 2.75

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass. Pours with half a fingers worth of off-white foam that dissipates into a single foam line within 10 seconds. Black in color with a red wine colored tint. Has mild aromas of roasted malts and hint of fruity hops that combine with the infamously typical adjunct lager smell. Initial taste is of watered down roasted malts, a hint fruity hops, and an unpleasantly bitter chemical flavor. Adjunct malt flavors from the lager portion enter shortly after, thankfully nullifying the bitter chemical flavor. Fruity hop flavors increase slightly after malt flavors enter as roasted malt flabors completely disappear. Carbonation is mild. Beer is light, but creamy. Leaves the mouth quenched of thirst. (738 characters)

3.23/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

The crisp malty flavor is what'd you'd expect based on the darkness of the brew. Though the hops are lacking, the beer is well-rounded compared to most other commercial brews.
I'd drink it again if it were available, but i wouldn't necessarily buy it for myself or recommend it. (279 characters)

4.64/5  rDev +43.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

growing not far from Pottsville PA, I always enjoy the taste of yuengling products. Black and Tan to me is there best product. I like the smell and taste of this product. (171 characters)

2.27/5  rDev -29.9%

Living close to Yuengling my entire life I have had more than my fair share of their suds. If I have a choice, I will drink their porter. However on several occasions the porter was not available so I defaulted to this. Nearly every time I drink this beer (even if its only a bottle or 2) I get the shits. A couple weeks ago a friend and I were talking about how this beer gives us the shits, so we bought some and sure enough both of us ended up with the shits!

Hope you enjoy the review...I have nothing else to add other than I had to write this review since my rate was an outlier that demanded I write one. (612 characters)

3.5/5  rDev +8%

If there's beer in my fridge it's probably this one. I know it's no Belgian White or anything but this beer has just about everything I need from one. The flavor is crisp and dark and a 12 won't break my budget. (211 characters)

3.89/5  rDev +20.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 5

Pours a nicely dark almost coke like color with a tan finger and a half almost two head.smells of chocolate and traditional lager behind it. Taste of chocolate and Maybe a little bit of coffee with the flavor of the traditional lager in the back ground very ever so slightly creamy and goes down smooth and very refreshing for a dark beer compared to most I've had not quite a craft beer but not just your normal either definitely recommend it to someone who wants to get into craft beers excellent place to start (513 characters)

2.93/5  rDev -9.6%

Pours a dark brown color. Holding it to the light it appears burnt red in color. Very little head, minimal lacing. Aroma is roasted malts some cocoa and coffee, but a main wiff of corn resides. Tatse follows the nose, slightly more pleasant than the smell. Mouthfeel is light, somewhat watery but overall not bad. I would just rather thier porter. For black and tans i just make my own. its not bad for the price, but it is what it is. (436 characters)

3.58/5  rDev +10.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pours dark brown little creamy tan head, smells roasty with crisp crackery malts, tastes of malts slight sunflower seed, smooth lasting finish. Decent beer for less than a dollar a bottle. (188 characters)

3.13/5  rDev -3.4%

A nice dark nearly black color. it is an entirely enjoyable beer considering the price.. I got a dozen of the the 16 ounce cans for one dollar each the other day.. No, not the best ever but I enjoyed them. Not a top of the line brew but you know that when you purchase them... (276 characters)

2.88/5  rDev -11.1%

Grainy and burnt flavors from the porter mix with the base Yuengling that just doesn't hold up to the porter flavors. A bit metallic with some cocoa, drinkable, but not the easiest to get through. (196 characters)

3.13/5  rDev -3.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

A - Nice moderate tan head over a dark brown, opaque body. Lacing is major.

S - Grains and roast notes. Pretty subdued.

T - Following the nose, with caramel and meal, mingling with a bitter roast bite in the middle, resolving to a sweeter, doughy element at the end.

M - Light and abrasive. Not great.

O - Not a favorite. Too light for a good porter. (358 characters)

2.92/5  rDev -9.9%

Liked this as a nice cheap every-day type beer as I always enjoyed black and tans. Then made the mistake of drinking one after having some very good IPA's. It's exactly what the ratings give it, an ok alternative to a black n tan draft. (238 characters)

3.34/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a pint glass.

Appearance: Dark brown with a thick beige head that dissipates to a lacing.

Smell: Roasted malt, some chocolate. Smells mostly like a porter.

Taste: Like the smell. Roasted malt with caramel and chocolate. A hint of the yuengling lager.

Mouthfeel: Smooth, but very carbonated.

Overall: A nice change from the typical yuengling beer. I would have it again. (386 characters)

3.03/5  rDev -6.5%
look: 4 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

this is really a go to beer for me when I need a break from hi octane craft brews. It's not the greatest beer in the world, however, for an everyday affordable beer this is definitely one of my favorites. (204 characters)

3.19/5  rDev -1.5%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

My Brother-in-Law was ranting an raving about this beer that they got in Tennessee and he gave me one for the road.

A - Deep brown color. A very deep mahogany color in the light. Light khaki head with no staying power. Almost no lacing.

S - Very light porter character with some chocolate, roastiness, and some light lager tones. Less burnt roastiness than a Guinness but not as deep.

T - The beer has a start like a low abv porter (imagine that!). The light chocolate and gentle roasted character are at the fore tongue. In the middle there is some traditional light lager flavor with some light graininess and a generic sweet lager flavor that is typical of domestic commercial beers. The finish is crisp with a light toffee, caramel sweetness and the remnants of a lager beer.
M - Light mouth-feel. Moderate carbonation. Very watery and thin/soft on the palate. Similar to a Guinness black and tan but with less roasted bite and more of a lager beer finish.

Overall, not a beer that I would consider "Craft". It's thin and doesn't have much flavor but the flavors that are there are ok. I would suggest they just cut the water in half and try again. I bet the beer would be a winner at 9% ABV and the same flavor profile. If you are just trying out dark beers and think that something like a real porter or stout would dissuade you then this would be a good baby step in the right direction.

Glass- SA Perfect Pint Glass (1,433 characters)

3.14/5  rDev -3.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

12 oz bottle, poured into a pint glass

Appearance: Pours a beautiful, completely opaque, pitch-black color with a quarter of a finger of white-colored head that quickly dissolved away into a thin lacing of foam that partially covered the top of the beer.

Aroma: Very aromatic, with strong aromas of bready, roasted malt, imparting notes of freshly toasted dark bread, ground coffee beans, dark chocolate, dark molasses, and brown sugar.

Taste: Pretty good, but not great. Strong flavors of bready, roasted malt up front, followed by some brown sugar and caramel-like sweetness and finished by some slightly sour, slightly vinegary, corn or rice adjunct-like flavors.

Mouthfeel: Medium to medium/thin, and slightly effervescent. With an ABV of 4.6%, there is no alcohol on the palate.

Overall: This is a decent beer, possessing some nice roasted malt flavors, mingled with some semi-sweet and semi-sour (due I guess to corn adjuncts). It’s pleasant, but very forgettable. I’d much rather have a traditional Black & Tan (half and half of Guinness and Newcastle) or a Yuengling Porter or Oktoberfest over this beer, but I wouldn’t turn it down if offered. (1,175 characters)

3.86/5  rDev +19.1%

I like this beer except for that sweetness in the middle. Price makes this a high value beer and the low alcohol content (4.7 on this site) is a bonus for me. (158 characters)

3.48/5  rDev +7.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

12/14...pours dark brown, light reflects a deep red. Fast fizz, little foam. Small roasted nose, lighter malt. Taste is a lighter dark malt that fades fast and finishes like a lager. Kind of exactly what I expected. (215 characters)

Yuengling Black & Tan from Yuengling Brewery