Yuengling Black & Tan - Yuengling Brewery

Yuengling Brewery visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Black & Tan |  4.70% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-07-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Yuengling Black & Tan Alström Bros
Ratings: 2,132 | Reviews: 673
3.38/5  rDev +5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pretty good black and tan from Yuengling. Smooth.

3.48/5  rDev +8.1%

When you pour a glass, it looks delicious. You feel like you're about to get a wonderful experience. The beer is a nice dark brown, almost black, with a smooth dark head. You take a sip and you're immediately, albeit lightly, disappointed. The taste is moderately sour, and the whole time you're drinking it, you just think "Yeah, this is really okay." It's a perfectly unremarkable beer, and it was a decent switch-up from my usual go-to, Yuengling Lager. However, it's not something I would buy again.

4.04/5  rDev +25.5%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I like this beer as an alternative to a heavy stout. Simple smooth taste but has some of the body of a dark beer. Nice on a summers day when I want a dark beer but nothing overpowering.

4.26/5  rDev +32.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Great beer! Could care less what you hopped up geeks think......

2.23/5  rDev -30.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

A: [2.50] Twist top... that was weird (been a while since had one of those). Beer is dark brown to black. It formed no head at all. I could not find and ABV listing or any dates or date codes.

S: [2.00] Wet cardboard. Maybe some smoke scent. Like if you dumped water on burning logs. Some kind of vegetable - like beets.

T: [2.25] Cream corn. Sweet malts.

M: [2.50] Above average carbonation. Prickly mouthfeel. Watery.

O: [2.25] This beer is not good. It does not shine in any aspect. I think the nose is the most "off" but there is really nothing that is "on". I held out hope that it might surprise me. It did not. Pass.

2.5/5  rDev -22.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

It's alright but it's not like Guinness

3.74/5  rDev +16.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

I like this one the most from Yuengling. Stouts are hard to come by in my area so it's my go to beer usually and ends up being cheaper as well. Good for ale drinkers and is a good start for those interested in stouts and porters.

3.3/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I like it, a bit better than their lager. It's a nice balanced flavor in my opinion.

3.22/5  rDev 0%
look: 3 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 2.75

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass. Pours with half a fingers worth of off-white foam that dissipates into a single foam line within 10 seconds. Black in color with a red wine colored tint. Has mild aromas of roasted malts and hint of fruity hops that combine with the infamously typical adjunct lager smell. Initial taste is of watered down roasted malts, a hint fruity hops, and an unpleasantly bitter chemical flavor. Adjunct malt flavors from the lager portion enter shortly after, thankfully nullifying the bitter chemical flavor. Fruity hop flavors increase slightly after malt flavors enter as roasted malt flabors completely disappear. Carbonation is mild. Beer is light, but creamy. Leaves the mouth quenched of thirst.

3.23/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

The crisp malty flavor is what'd you'd expect based on the darkness of the brew. Though the hops are lacking, the beer is well-rounded compared to most other commercial brews.
I'd drink it again if it were available, but i wouldn't necessarily buy it for myself or recommend it.

4.64/5  rDev +44.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

growing not far from Pottsville PA, I always enjoy the taste of yuengling products. Black and Tan to me is there best product. I like the smell and taste of this product.

3.36/5  rDev +4.3%

I have always enjoyed this beer.

3.45/5  rDev +7.1%

Not worth the drive but take one if someone offers

2.27/5  rDev -29.5%

Living close to Yuengling my entire life I have had more than my fair share of their suds. If I have a choice, I will drink their porter. However on several occasions the porter was not available so I defaulted to this. Nearly every time I drink this beer (even if its only a bottle or 2) I get the shits. A couple weeks ago a friend and I were talking about how this beer gives us the shits, so we bought some and sure enough both of us ended up with the shits!

Hope you enjoy the review...I have nothing else to add other than I had to write this review since my rate was an outlier that demanded I write one.

3.5/5  rDev +8.7%

If there's beer in my fridge it's probably this one. I know it's no Belgian White or anything but this beer has just about everything I need from one. The flavor is crisp and dark and a 12 won't break my budget.

3.89/5  rDev +20.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 5

Pours a nicely dark almost coke like color with a tan finger and a half almost two head.smells of chocolate and traditional lager behind it. Taste of chocolate and Maybe a little bit of coffee with the flavor of the traditional lager in the back ground very ever so slightly creamy and goes down smooth and very refreshing for a dark beer compared to most I've had not quite a craft beer but not just your normal either definitely recommend it to someone who wants to get into craft beers excellent place to start

2.93/5  rDev -9%

Pours a dark brown color. Holding it to the light it appears burnt red in color. Very little head, minimal lacing. Aroma is roasted malts some cocoa and coffee, but a main wiff of corn resides. Tatse follows the nose, slightly more pleasant than the smell. Mouthfeel is light, somewhat watery but overall not bad. I would just rather thier porter. For black and tans i just make my own. its not bad for the price, but it is what it is.

3.58/5  rDev +11.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pours dark brown little creamy tan head, smells roasty with crisp crackery malts, tastes of malts slight sunflower seed, smooth lasting finish. Decent beer for less than a dollar a bottle.

3.13/5  rDev -2.8%

A nice dark nearly black color. it is an entirely enjoyable beer considering the price.. I got a dozen of the the 16 ounce cans for one dollar each the other day.. No, not the best ever but I enjoyed them. Not a top of the line brew but you know that when you purchase them...

2.88/5  rDev -10.6%

Grainy and burnt flavors from the porter mix with the base Yuengling that just doesn't hold up to the porter flavors. A bit metallic with some cocoa, drinkable, but not the easiest to get through.

3.5/5  rDev +8.7%

My go to cheap easy drinking beer.

4.25/5  rDev +32%

Easy drinking. Smooth finish. Good price

I like the darker beer and this was great. Strong beer flavor. It wasn't that heavy either.

2.47/5  rDev -23.3%

There is nothing really special about this one. the lager is so much better.

3.13/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

A - Nice moderate tan head over a dark brown, opaque body. Lacing is major.

S - Grains and roast notes. Pretty subdued.

T - Following the nose, with caramel and meal, mingling with a bitter roast bite in the middle, resolving to a sweeter, doughy element at the end.

M - Light and abrasive. Not great.

O - Not a favorite. Too light for a good porter.

Yuengling Black & Tan from Yuengling Brewery