Yuengling Black & Tan - Yuengling Brewery

Yuengling Brewery visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Black & Tan |  4.70% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-07-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Yuengling Black & Tan Alström Bros
Reviews: 661 | Hads: 2,202

The best of all Yuengling beers. Sister and Brother-in-law bought me a variety pack with Traditional lager, light lager, and Lord Chesterfield Ale. The unusual taste made me want more and more. Only wish it was available in Ohio. After drinking the finest of the finest, it is hard to drink a Bud or Miller product.

4.85/5  rDev +50.6%

Bottle poured into pilsner
A: Very Dark, almost black yet slightly transparent. Nice chestnut head and light lacing around glass.

S: Beautiful dark roasted malts and smooth hops tones.

T: Simple but wonderful roasted malts, very light hops and something almost chocolate.

M: Nice start, flavor stays robust and then a smooth dry finish

D: I love this one. I used to drink a case every week when I was younger and then almost forgot about it. Back in my life again, I love Black and Tan. Great with food, camping or just hanging out.

4.82/5  rDev +49.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Yuengling Original Black and Tan. For starters it's very good. Let me tell you what. If you do not like we'll there's nothing I can do. So enjoy that shit. It's not heavy to heavy per say. This beer is smooth. Bottles never cans and always Draft if u you can.

4.8/5  rDev +49.1%

Poured a nice dark almost burnt sugar like color. A mild smell and a robust tremendous taste it finishes clean and just seems like it would be amazing with a steak(from Penna please) steak. It also finishes off any meal, day, or anytime of the day you want. It is tremenedous!!!

4.77/5  rDev +48.1%

I can't believe I never reviewed B&T either (apparently I never reviewed any Yuenglings) in the 10 years I lived in Pittsburgh. This was always my favorite of their line-up, followed by Larger and Lord Chesterfield.

Appearance is a cola colored dark brown with a small off-white head leaving light, scattered lace.

Smell is great, on the sweet side, with hints of caramel, anise

Taste is also sweet, but not overly so, and very smooth. Caramel and anise, hint of charcoal, just so yummy. I love this beer, best out of 16 oz cans (pounders), our go to case for camping, only $20!

Mouthfeel has a light, crisp carbonation, and is light bodied.

Drinkability is super high. I could, and have drank these all day. Just enough taste to satisfy but still keep it highly sessionable, the benchmark a B&T in my opinion. One of the few beers I prefer out of a can.

4.64/5  rDev +44.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

growing not far from Pottsville PA, I always enjoy the taste of yuengling products. Black and Tan to me is there best product. I like the smell and taste of this product.

4.52/5  rDev +40.4%

Yuengling Black & Tan was a new brew to me, and I was pleasantly surprised.. I buy this now when I can splurge a little bit but not over the top.

Although it was keen drinking straight from the bottle, it is even better once I poured it into a clean beer glass. The aroma immediately fills your nose of something akin to coffee and perhaps carmel. It appears to be a dark beer, though it leaves coffee-like stains if you spill.

The taste is magnificent, one of the few beers I've had that actually make you want to lick your lips. It reminds me of a Starbucks Frappachino of sorts. Think Guinness but less bitter and filling. All in all, this is a fine domestic beverage that I will be enjoying in the future.

4.5/5  rDev +39.8%

I think this is the best dark beer for the money bar none.
You just cant buy a better beer in the price range. I picked up a 12 pack this weekend for $8.99 and enjoyed it very much.
Super smooth, no bite. perfect blend of sweet and smooth.
Its much better then the standard Yuengling. I wouldnt even have known it was the same company if I didnt see the lablel. Well done.

4.39/5  rDev +36.3%

I'm taking it in and aht of the CAN yet again. CAN you dig it?

I got a finger of mocha-tan head before it started to fall away. Color was a deep, dark brown with ruby highlights. As to the nose, as soon as I cracked the CAN open and began to pour, it smelled like Willy Wonka's Chocolate Factory in my humid kitchen. Leaning in, I got anise, dark chocolate, raisins, plums. Zounds! Yoi and double yoi! Smell is gettin' a 5 and any a yinz jagovs wanna argue, I'm swingin' a six of CANs atcha! Mouthfeel was thin-to-medium with a definite chocolate taste on the tongue. It was not as pronounced as on the nose, but this was quite good. My brother always swore by YB&T in a CAN, but I never understood why until now. Finish had a lightly smoky quality along with the chocolate. Is it too late to take this off of my "Gots" list? Come and get it!

4.38/5  rDev +36%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Super cheap at a local Kroger. Got a sixer for $5.89. I've had this before and was pretty impressed. Black and Tan, to me, is a brilliant idea.

A - Pours a dark mahogany color with a decent yet fading head. Sticky head.

S - I'm getting some burnt carmel scents. Dark chocolate nibs and coffee notes are pretty forward.

T - Kind of like drinking a sugary burnt piece of meat. But that's a good thing, for me. Sweet up front. The taste is a lot like the smell.

O - This black and tan is almost like an aspiring stout. For those who are turned off by the bitterness and manliness (if I can say that, ladies who love stouts thumbs up!), this beer is just right. Some people think that mixing a porter with a lager is blasphemous, and their not wrong for being inclined to think that, but for those who aren't (not yet) considered Beer Geeks, this will slip on by any unbias.

I'm unbiased, this is a great beer. I will be drinking this again.

4.35/5  rDev +35.1%

A - Pours up almost black with a long lasting tan head

S - Smells of roasted malt and chocolate. Wonderful.

T&M - Smooth and creamy, with a sweet choclate flavor that compliments the roast malts.

D- I really like this beer and could drink several at a sitting. I wish it was available in my home town.

4.35/5  rDev +35.1%

A - Nice dark color with a slightly tan head

S - Good roasty aroma, some hints of chocolate

T&M - Very good tasting beer. Nice, full mouthfeel without being overpoweringly heavy

D - I could drink this all day, if it were available in my hometown. I usually only get it when visiting relatives or traveling to the east coast on business. Picked up two cases a couple of weeks ago, and it's almost gone.

4.32/5  rDev +34.2%
look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Appearance: Almost black, but in the light the beer appears to be a dense, dark ruby color. The head is a shade darker than khaki color; maintains about half a finger's width; and leaves nice lacing.

Aroma: Sweet and dark-roasted grain, with a hint of earthy hops.

Taste: Pretty much the same as the aroma, but the hop bitterness is almost non-existent.

Body/Mouthfeel: Light to medium.

Finish: Semi-dry.

Would I buy this again? Yes and no. I don't hate it or even dislike it, but I'm not impressed by it. I do not feel that this beer is worth paying almost fifteen bucks for a twelve pack.

4.3/5  rDev +33.5%

Yuengling does a few things, does the same things, and does them very well. Yuengling B&T is easily the best of what they do. Here is a deep, rich mahogany-colored glass with a moderately foamy head and the unmistakable scent of roasted porter malts when you raise the glass. And yet when you take your first sip, you're met not with a sticky, rich porter but a lighter-feeling, bubbly, tingly mouthfeel and a mild roasted malt taste that is really refreshing. There are hops --somewhere-- because you sense a bit of fruity/veggie background and touch of bitterness in the aftertaste, but the smooth balanced taste of both the premium beer (which is not much to write home about all by itself) and the porter (which is nicely toasted) is irresistable. Great on tap too, if you can find it. (Hint: Texas Roadhouse in Westminster, MD)

4.27/5  rDev +32.6%

Great tasting porter! Complex flavors, heavy on the chocolate make this a very good full-bodied beer. Take your time with this one as savoring it really brings out it's complexities. I have consistently enjoyed this B&T.

4.27/5  rDev +32.6%

I was quite surprised with this beer. I did not expect much, but ended up being pleasantly surprised. First time was out of a bottle the other night, the head was foamy, the beer was smooth, it actually had a very good flavor to it. Quite dark in appearance (as the name implies) but taste is not overbearing. I was definitely sold.

4.24/5  rDev +31.7%

A- The appearance is almost just as dark as a porter, when put up to a light you can see a tint of red. The head has a nice off white foam look to it not too thick or creamy.

S- Each time i've had this beer the smell never really stuck out to me. It has somewhat of a coffee bean smell to it but mostly it just smells like a Porter brewed beer would.

T- The taste is what I like most about this beer. For being a dark beer it is exceptionally smooth. I get hints of coffee and roasted almonds along with a Lager taste.

F- The feel has alot to do with the taste. Its really smooth and easy to drink.

O- Overall this beer is one of my favorites and always will be. The look and the taste is what makes me really love this beer and its definitely a plus that its brewed by the Oldest Brewery in America. Definitely my second favorite next to Guinness Extra Stout.

4.2/5  rDev +30.4%

Another sentimental favorite, thanks to Jpwv in our recent trade. Poured into 10oz glass. Poured a very dark brown, bordering on translucent black. with less than a half-inch of tan head that dissipated quickly and left no lacing.

A slightly sweet caramel scent blends nicely with some roasty and toasty aromas. The flavors follow along loyally, in addition to the roasted flavors there's a bit of a hop sharpness at the back of the tongue.

The body is good, full without being heavy and very smooth. Drinkability is top-notch, as demostrated by the number of these I drank while sitting on "Beer Hill", the third turn grandstands at Williams Grove Speedway. Watching DeWease, Rahmer, Kreitz and the rest of the PA Posse tear around the track, many of beauties went down the throat.

Overall, a fine beer, within it's limitations. For years I was of the opinion that this was the best canned beer available. Now with more micros being available in cans, that is no longer true, but this is still a fine beer. You should try it.

4.17/5  rDev +29.5%

Poours dark ruby, with a dense two-finger head. Dense consistency, and retains well leaving light lacing. Both pale and chocolate malts int he nose, with some light floral hop aroma. Crisp pilsener malt and chocolate malt form a sweet malt base that creates a great balance that is an excellent example of the style. Germans hops are perceived as the dryness sets in, and a vinous sweetness comes out in the aftertaste. High carbonation and light bodied for a smooth drinkability and an extra clean finish.

4.15/5  rDev +28.9%

Black-and-tans are a breed apart in the beer world. The delicate balance of deep, throaty porter and smooth, premium lager is a razor's edge the brewer must tread between overwhelming one brew with the other, and failing to capture the character of both. Admittedly, i have not had much experience with black-and-tans, but of all those i've tried, Yuengling's canned creation is the best. The porter used to make this beer has a very distinct, almost dry flavor with a crisp, complex start. The lager only becomes evident when the beer passes almost fully over the tongue. Then the smooth taste of a quality medium lager flows over the porter start and leaves the mouth almost totally free of aftertaste. Like any black-and-tan, this one is a full-bodied brew not to be imbibed lightly. It is a true beer drinking experience, and even people who claim little interest in the character of their beers say without doubt that Yuengling Black & Tan is unique.

- Backdated tasting: I first reviewed this beer on 31AUG03, this post is based on notes from that review. -

4.15/5  rDev +28.9%

Silky chocolate beer-water. This is a delightful beverage made for the beer drinker on the go. Not a lot of pre-mixed black and tans on the market that could hang with this. It smells softly-sweet much likes its initial taste. Has a little taste for your entire tongue. Obviously a rather dark beer. A nice beer to relax to, it warms you body and soul.

4.15/5  rDev +28.9%

Pours a deep reddish brown, nearly opaque with lots of mahogany highlights. Thin but persistent tan head. No lace. Aroma is lightly smoky and chocolatey. Smells of thin lager malt as well, some faint hops.

A thin lager taste up front. Gives way to a roasty dark malt. Milky and chocolatey. Smooth finish, smooth all around. Light bitter chocolate aftertaste, roasty finish. A very tasty and drinkable brew. Still one of my old favorites and a fine session beer.

4.13/5  rDev +28.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

yuengling traditional is my everyday beer but when i want something different and can't find anything new I pick this up to change things up! it's pretty good.

4.12/5  rDev +28%

WoW at $8.50 for a 12 pack this is the working man's delight[and the best of Yuengling's line IMHO]
it pours a humble black/brown with a nice beige creamy head with a slight hint of chocolate, and malty roasted smell[nice flavor vs aroma composition] and tastes great either at the bar or the dinner table.

4.12/5  rDev +28%

I love this beer. I am not as much a fan of the yuengling traditional lager or any other beer in the yuengling line, but this particular offering makes my taste buds water.

It has a certain creamy taste mixed with the more traditional American beer taste that just works with me for some reason.

Yuengling Black & Tan from Yuengling Brewery