Yuengling Black & Tan - Yuengling Brewery

poor

Yuengling Brewery visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Black & Tan |  4.70% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-07-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Yuengling Black & Tan Alström Bros
2.68/5  rDev -16.8%

Thanks to a buddy for bringing this back for me.

I poured a 12oz bottle into my Hennepin globe. This beer pours a dark mahogany with a normal-ish 2 inch tan head that leaves just a bit of lacing. The aroma reminds me of a mild porter. Hints of roasted malts, a bit of chocolate and just a bit of that pale malt aroma (don't know if their is actually any pale malts used in the manufacture). Really it just smells like a watered down mild porter. The flavor is about the same. Watered down porter. Chocolate, roasted malts, a bit of cherry and that's about it. All watered down. I really don't get any of the 40% in the flavor profile. The mouthfeel is a bit crisp for me. The carbonation is rather biting and nips at the tongue with every gulp. This is a decent beer, but I really don't understand the style. If I want a crappy porter, I'll drink a crappy porter. I don't need a Porter mixed with a Lager (or whatever it is).

hwwty4, Jun 24, 2009
3.53/5  rDev +9.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured into my Yazoo pint glass

A- Very dark brown with a good two inch carbonated head

S- toffee and chocolate malts

T- Initially grainy malt followed by very soft chocolate hints then a mild bitterness

M- Medium bodied fairly carbonated

D- Good not great beer. Not a real common style. Certainly worth a try since it isn't very expensive.

Misfit138, Jun 23, 2009
3.83/5  rDev +18.9%

The one piece of advice that I can give about this beer is drink it out of the can! I don't know what it is, but this beer from the can is far better than this beer from a bottle (I've never found it on tap). I do not like it in the bottle, but I think the can makes it rather tasty.

libby, Jun 21, 2009
2.2/5  rDev -31.7%

Deep black hue with large off-white head. Subtle chocolate, peanut butter, oats, grass in the nose. A bit offensive and unsatisfying in flavor: echoes of roast, syrup, nuts, oats. Light in body and not true to an authentic black and tan. Don't bother with this one.

JRed, Jun 20, 2009
3.1/5  rDev -3.7%

A: Pours a nice blackish brown hue with an okay head. Very little retention and no lace.

S: Simple roasted malt with light notes of coffee and chocolate.

T: Taste to match. Mostly roast with hints of cheap coffee and a touch of chocolate, nothing too great to be honest.

M: On the lighter side of medium, rather low carbonation.

D: It's Okay I guess if it's your thing, not really mine.

tpd975, Jun 18, 2009
3.83/5  rDev +18.9%

Appearance: The brew pours as a deep deep chocolate brown. Head is medium thick with a foamy tan presence. Lacings are present but thin. Surface spiderwebbing is sustained. Not bad.

Smell: The aroma body is full. Chocolate, coffee and malt suffuse the totality of the aroma curve. Very inviting...very dark porter. Roasty delicious.

Taste: This brew is very restrained. Roast malt is the primary characteristic. The aroma mixes well with the flavor, however, the flavor is also quite restrained.

Mouthfeel: Minimal carbonation (per style guidlines). The flavor strength is a little light. Palate clears quickly. Light presence for a porter.

Drinkability: This brew is very light for a porter. While this is not really a hot weather sipping brew, it certainly is nice on a sleepy afternoon or while watching a movie in the evening.

Prosit!
Nikki

stockingcpl, Jun 15, 2009
2.53/5  rDev -21.4%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Thanks to Crazymac for sending me this brew.

Pours a cola brown with some ruddy tones in light. Small tan head.

Smells like a watered down porter. Hmmm. Maybe some whiffs of coffee in aroma.

Taste is, again, just like the porter, but watered down. Frankly, it is a watery brew. Really not appealing, and I just don't know what they were going for here.

Overlord, May 29, 2009
2.93/5  rDev -9%

A: 12 oz. brown bottle. Clear dark brown body with reddish hues. 3/8" head; no lace.

S: In a word, boring. I'm picking up on some caramel malt with a lot of lighter malt aromas.

T: Again, slight caramel and very boring.

M: Light-Medium. The carbonation sticks to the tongue a great deal, which is never good.

D: Whatever; I'm done with this review.

GruvisHops, May 29, 2009
3.4/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Clear dark chestnut brown with a khaki tan head that leaves a little fine lace on the glass. Mild roasted malt and faint euro smelling hops. Tastes okay, not a bad brew and maybe better that either of these beers on their own. Watery, crisp mouthfeel, a good lawnmower beer for sure.

biggred1, May 28, 2009
3.33/5  rDev +3.4%

dark almost black color with a small tannish-white tightly packed head that dissipated fairly quickly.

smell was kind of disappointing and not very pronounced. though what i did find was not to bad. i roasted smell, more coffee than anything else that may have been in it, however it was hard to tell as it was too faint.

a good taste that went along with the roasted coffee smell. nice residual malts on the tongue that really ends up making the taste worthwhile. a little hop bitterness that i assume is coming from the tan side (ale) of this black and tan. the mouthfeel is just there and doesnt seem to accompany the taste, however it doesnt it hurt it either.

a drinkable beer. im not too much a connoisseur or even a fan of pre-mixed or bottled black and tans. to me the idea seems silly, and kind of removes the whole point. your better off just drinking an average porter, which i guess is pretty much what this is. thats me though...

mjw06, May 20, 2009
2.93/5  rDev -9%

Friends brought this back from North Carolina for my drinking pleasure. poured a small pale head that dissapeared pretty quickly. A very small amount of spidering. dark brown color.

The taste is about what you'd expect from a black and tan. It's a little lighter than I hoped and it tastes a little lighter than I'd like. There is a sour aftertaste that reminds me of a bad light lager. The sour taste lingers a litle too long on the palate and it makes me want to finish the beer and cleanse my palate.

Overall it's not a terrible beer, but I don't see myself ever drinking this again, especially since it isn't available in Ohio.

degerbah, May 09, 2009
3.43/5  rDev +6.5%

Pours a dark dark brown with very thin, not even whispy head that rolls around the glass.
Little smell, maybe some hints of roasted malt and caramel, but not particularly pick upable.
Very nice malty flavor.
Some roasted caramel is left on the finish which is interesting, but not a substantial finish.
It is mildly drinkable.

ThaBobfather, Apr 20, 2009
3.63/5  rDev +12.7%

Poured from a 16ounce can into my nonic pint glass. Appears a deep dark, nearly opaque brown color with about an inch of creamy tan head. Smells and tastes of roasted dark malts, sweet caramel malts, and a touch of chocolate and coffee. A notch above medium in body with ample carbonation. Very flavorful and drinkable, especially at it's price point and availability for me.

ClockworkOrange, Apr 17, 2009
3.53/5  rDev +9.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Received a sixer of this as a gift up here in Michigan from my sister who lives in South Carolina. This is my first Yuengling of any variety ever.

Pours a dark jet black with hints of dark amber. Smells of sweet malt and perhaps some hints of coffee. The flavor is also mildly sweet with a hint of chocolate and has a nice malty-ish aftertaste. It's got a decent body too. I'd say it's pretty drinkable. A tasty little brew. Also my first bottled black & tan (in one). Pretty interesting.

jeremyd365, Apr 14, 2009
3.73/5  rDev +15.8%

Poured this 12 oz. bottle into a standard pint.

Appearance: This beer pours a nice looking, light black color. With a proper pour, we get a nice light white head, about 1 finger wide. Nice looking beer remeniscent of a porter or stout.

Smell: Just average on this one. Small amounts of roasted malt, and grain.

Taste: Surprised on this one. While visiting relatives, got a 12 pack for $9. This beer demonstrates that price doesn't dictate quality. Great mix of porter, and lager. Wonderful blend reminescent of a Guinness/Bass black & tan mixed together. Wonderful!

Mouthfeel: Decent consistency. A smoothness is there from the porter component, and most definitely some more carbonation from the lager.

Drinkability: A light porter almost. Definitely drinkable without needing a couple glasses of water to follow.

Final Thoughts - I really liked this brew. We don't get Yuengling around my area so when we visit relatives its a treat and only $9 for a 12. Very affordable, and potentially sessionable if I get the chance.

bsend, Apr 09, 2009
3.65/5  rDev +13.4%

got this in florida on vacation by reccomendation of my friend wasn't so sure at first but gave it a try
liked the bottle
dark not fully black but very close
smells good and rich
glad we got some, really good chops on this one full of flavors with nothing overpowering, im not going to pretend i can pull 8 flavors out of a taste like some people on here but i can say is i could taste it and i liked it and drank another....and another.
anyway good full presence on the tongue
like it and buy some more the next time i see it

willyumlong, Apr 09, 2009

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a pint glass.

The color is a deep, dark black with a red hue when brought to the light.

The smell is malty, coffee & toffee flavors.

The taste is toffee, slight coffee feel with beady feel. A malty sweet hint and a small hop flavor in the background.

This beer is a really nice and smooth porter. It is quite easy drinking and goes down easy

Duhast500, Apr 06, 2009
3.85/5  rDev +19.6%

App. Pours an almost Harry & David's Dark Chocolate Truffle color, with some amber when back-lit. Minimal head that goes away quickly.
Sm. Slightly sweet and chocolatey with some toasted something.
Ta. Chocolate and toasted coffee, nice.
Mf. Smooth with mild carbonation. Minimal bitterness at the finish.
Dr. Very much so. Tasty and pleasant and goes down easy. A Pennsylvania standard.

deaconoflove, Apr 01, 2009
2.88/5  rDev -10.6%

Appearance: Poured out of a 12 oz. bottle bearing the words "America's Oldest Brewery" into a nonic glass. This beer pours an opaque dark brown color, but when held up to a light the beer appears a dark, ruby red color. There is a small, khaki colored head about one finger in height that isn't very dense and dissipates rapidly. No lacing is left on my glass as I drink.

Smell: The nose of this beer has a very sweet, malty aroma with hints of chocolate, caramel, and roasted malts. There is also a faint hop aroma, but it is more musty than citrusy. Overall this beer doesn't have a bad nose, but it isn't anything fabulous either. The aromas are a bit too subdued to be anything better than average.

Taste: This beer starts off with the dominant flavors of chocolate, espresso, and roasted malts thanks to the porter, moves to a bit of sweetness in the middle, and finishes without much of anything save a very faint coffee-like flavor and bitterness.

Mouthfeel: This beer is definitely a bit too carbonated to excel in this category, and is quite filling because of the carbonation. Medium bodied, a bit thin on the tongue, and overall nothing more than average.

Drinkability: Again, this beer is too carbonated to be overly drinkable. I don't really enjoy the distended feeling that comes from drinking highly carbonated beverages, so I can't give this beer too much credit. It's a bit too mediocre, too nondescript to warrant drinking any more than one at a time.

Notes: Overall this is a very non-descript beer without much going for it, but without much against it, either. It's still a lot better than some of the other easily-approachable "dark-beers" I see people drinking, and it beats the pants off of Guinness. Average at best.

johnmichael712, Mar 26, 2009
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours near black- orange brown near the edges. Thin, creamy head with very good lacing. Yellowish tint to the head. Looks like a black and tan.

Aroma is very creamy, with a touch of chocolate and roasted malt but otherwise very neutral. Light with no unpleasant metallic aromas which is always a plus. A bit like candy syrup.

I think I was expecting more of a porter when I picked this up, but I can see how this would definitely fit being a black and tan. It has the hint of roasted malt blended with the creamy light maltiness of an EPA. I think the hops could be a little more defined.. you get a mix of sweetness and slight hop bitterness at the end that is a bit confusing. You sort of want to to go one way or another. However, I think this is sort of the uniqueness of a black and tan. You get a lot of different interesting flavors that just happen to mix together extremely well.

Mouthfeel is medium to full bodied. Compliments the creamyness very well. Medium, but not very intense carbonation. Very very drinkable and appealing. This is one of those "please drink me" beers that is really great to get a 6 pack of and drink all in one night.

wiseguy142, Mar 06, 2009
3.33/5  rDev +3.4%

"A workin' man's beer, ya know."
"Oh no, I don't like dark beer."
"Dark as in flavor? you know, just because the color is dark, doesn't mean it's what you think of as a 'dark beer.'"
"Well, what's it like?"
"Well, the color is dark, I'll give you that. Almost black, some ruby highlights... Pretty head on top though, but it doesn't last long."
"But what does it taste like?"
"Hold on, I gotta tell you what it smells like first. 87% of taste is smell, you know."
"Yeah, and 96.4% of statistics are made up on the spot."
"Touche, but it's a big factor. So When you smell it, you don't smell much. I'ts really not a whole lot different than regular Yuengling, but a bit roastier... a faint chocolate note, I guess, but not like an RIS... it's barely there."
"So why is that important? Doesn't sound like it'd be bad when you put it like that, but I dunno. It's probably all bitter, like a Guinness, isn't it!"
"No no. It's got a hint of grain bitterness, sure, but it comes off more like a dash of coffee. There's a good bit of sweetness in there, too."
"See, I don't like sweet beers or bitter beers. I like beers I can ignore while I shotgun them."
"That's my whole point. Beer isn't just for getting drunk. It's for enjoyment. Take this one for example. It's a good bit more flavorful than that swill, but it's still pretty thin. Carbonation is almost soda-like, and the finish is smooth and light."
"Oh, but it will fill me up. I told you, I don't like dark beers."
"Just give it a try. Trust me, you can drink this stuff all night."
"Fine, but only to shut you up..."

"Hey! That's not bad! I do taste that 'coffee note' you mentioned!"
"See, I told you." (aside) "Two more rounds, please. Yes, we'll be here all night."

khiasmus, Mar 04, 2009
4.1/5  rDev +27.3%

This is a terrific beer product. It is full of character but not too heavy to hang out with. It is the best of two worlds and is seriously drinkable. And for the money it is A+++.
Truly, what beer has this well rounded flavor and value and comes in pounders?
BnT reminds me of bonfires and halloween parades and parties in the sticks. It is a good-timing beer with an unassuming heartiness and opaque splendor.

LibertyAvenue, Mar 02, 2009
2.88/5  rDev -10.6%

Pours dark brown into pint glass. When held to light, beer resembles a cola with ruby red tinges around the outside. Cappuccinno foam head dissipates well before beer is halfway done. Aroma offers faint whiffs of sweet malt. Taste is ok. Hints of bittersweet chocolate followed by some weak dark malt sweetness. Aftertaste is somewhat sour and fades quickly. Very watered down mouthfeel.

This is definitely not the best beer I have ever had. But for the money, it's ok. If you are hurting for cash and still want to avoid any BMC's, Yuengling Black and Tan will do the job.

APNumber3, Feb 27, 2009
3.63/5  rDev +12.7%

I've gone on a couple of group ski trips to western New York this year to a great little place right by Holiday Valley called Holimont. On the way back the bus makes a stop at a store to pick up provisions for the short (3 hour) ride home. The other skiers are all gaga over Yuengling, something rarely if ever sold in NE Ohio.

I had a lager once at the lodge and it definitely was nothing to write home about. Since there wasn't any good beer at the store, I bought a six of Bud Ale. I was sharing those and somebody must of swapped a Yuengling Balck and Tan for one of my Bud Ales, so I got one.

OK, it's not bad. I haven't had many Black and Tans lately. It's pretty good. It has a little bit of a nasty aftertaste, but I would get it again if there wasn't anything better. Not a glowing endorsement, but an honest one.

schoolboy, Feb 21, 2009

A: It's a dark brown that is bordering on black. Head was minimal but still a nice little build up after a fairly aggressive pour. Retention and lacing a little less than moderate.

S: Dark malts with a chocolate and caramel like sweetness. Rounded out with some cereal grain and breaded qualities. Little hints of roasted malts towards the back. Nothing overly spectacular here.

T: This has charred and toasted sweetness. Chocolate and coffee seemed to me to be the most dominant tastes. However, with a more burnt aspect and not as full as what I would have liked. A little hint of dark fruits and maybe even hops towards the end. Reminded me a bit of a carbonated beverage and a porter combined.

M: Thin body with some crisp carbonation.

D: I had a number of these with some co-workers while I was out of town. It was cheap and clearly more superior than other choices we had. I had no idea what this style was until I read about it this site (only to find out it is nothing traditional). For what it is and for the price I have to say I had a pretty nice time drinking it. However, I plan on leaving it in the past.

erikm25, Feb 17, 2009