Yuengling Black & Tan - Yuengling Brewery

poor

Yuengling Brewery visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Black & Tan |  4.70% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-07-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Yuengling Black & Tan Alström Bros
msolar

3.15/5  rDev -2.2%

I’m not a big fan of Yuengling beers and this one didn’t change my opinion much. I expect a “Black & Tan” to be on par with a real black & tan for, if nothing else, mouthfeel. This beer seemed watered down to me. It tasted OK, but I certainly wouldn’t purchase a case.

I’d suggest Saranac’s Black & Tan over Yuengling’s.

12-26-2007 21:51:30 | More by msolar
irishevans

Alaska

4.08/5  rDev +26.7%

the pint is black, the head tan(ish) and it is damn good. the smell is a touch bland (though i'm begining to wonder about my own sense of smell), the taste is wonderful, the thickness of a porter and the crisp lightily hoppy flavor from the permium(which by it self is "pong" beer) and a nice quick finish when compaired to the porter by itself (another recomendation of mine). the mouth-feel: see taste it explains both. and this beer seems to always be lower in the glass than i remember it, goes down Real easy. much better than just a "good call"

12-18-2007 18:25:52 | More by irishevans
littleshamrocks

Kentucky

3.6/5  rDev +11.8%

12oz brown bottle with no freshness dating. Served in a standard pint glass.

Pours a very dark brown to black with a smallish, frothy, tan head. Fairly dense with an adequate carbonation. Head settles quickly and left no lace. Aroma is dominated by the roasted malts, with hints of toffee, caramel, coffee, nuts, dark fruit, and herbal hops. Taste is also lead by the roasted/burnt malts, followed by lesser notes of coffee, caramel, dark fruit (possible raisins or prunes), and finishes with the balancing herbal hop bitterness. It has a sweetness from about the middle to the end. Mouthfeel is medium bodied with an oily texture and lively carbonation. Finishes clean.

Overall, not bad at all. I like the balance of the ingredients and the relative complexity of the flavors. While certainly slanted toward the malt end, there is sufficient hop character to go along. The taste, along with the comparatively cheap price, make this one definitely worth a try. I could and will have another.

12-18-2007 01:50:56 | More by littleshamrocks
dacrza1

2.9/5  rDev -9.9%

Jet black body...pillowy half-finger brown head settles to a tracing...soft toasted malt...not much of the pale ale hops...milky sweetness with a fizzy carbonation...medium body--can I say intriguing? Definite caramel tones and toasted scents when exhaled...light for a porter...once a dollar pitcher college pleasure at the G.O.D. in Bloomsburg, now the Black and Tan is smooth with just enough dimension to still be a serviceable, inexpensive brew...

12-16-2007 04:59:59 | More by dacrza1
flatblack80

4.88/5  rDev +51.6%

Bottle poured into pilsner
A: Very Dark, almost black yet slightly transparent. Nice chestnut head and light lacing around glass.

S: Beautiful dark roasted malts and smooth hops tones.

T: Simple but wonderful roasted malts, very light hops and something almost chocolate.

M: Nice start, flavor stays robust and then a smooth dry finish

D: I love this one. I used to drink a case every week when I was younger and then almost forgot about it. Back in my life again, I love Black and Tan. Great with food, camping or just hanging out.

12-07-2007 04:24:33 | More by flatblack80
clayrock81

2.88/5  rDev -10.6%

This is one of those OK beers, but if you're from Western PA you love it. Not because it is a hometown beer (a little bit of a stretch) but because it's so cheap and a lot of bars have it for a dollar on draft.
The beer is not a real Black and Tan, more a half and half, but it works. It is a black cola-like hue that pours a little syrupy and leaves a one finger head. Smelling the beer leads one to think you're getting a beer w/ coffee malt, but you're not. It goes down light and smooth with very little distinguishing ingredients on the pallete, which tells you that for a dark beer you're not getting much.
Again, a slightly below average beer but a great deal for your buck.

12-05-2007 03:12:07 | More by clayrock81
beckscrusader420

4.05/5  rDev +25.8%

I'm drinking this beer as we speak. I love this beer as a standard stand by I can always count on at my local shell station. The full sized shell stations (the ones with a subway) actually have a decent selection of beers for a gas station. I usually buy a 6 pack of something like Sam Adams Boston Lager, Becks, or Leinenkugel and a 6 of Black and Tan to balance it out. Yuengling Black and Tan is a good training beer for people that are getting into dark beers. You would think that a macro beer couldn't stand a chance to the world class beers mentioned above or anything else for that matter. I feel that Yuengling B/T is a good beer compared to regular Yuengling and deserves respect amongst drinkers of good beers.

11-20-2007 07:31:40 | More by beckscrusader420
ch473

Missouri

2.35/5  rDev -27%

Nice color, nice head and laciness. Very pleasant, nutty aroma. Disappointing taste however. When it hits my tongue I anticipate a deep, rich flavor, but a second later it falls flat into a sour aftertaste I don't like. I haven't had YL porter, but I imagine I wouldn't like it for the same reason. Okay choice if you want to down a 6 pack for the price, but I'd say overall you get what you pay for, rather cheap and not "premium" as the label says, in my opinion.

11-14-2007 03:15:12 | More by ch473
Black7Blue

3.88/5  rDev +20.5%

When trying this sort of Black and Tan, you get the feeling that you're falling into another cheap Black and Tan trap. Not so. Yuengling does a great job of providing Black and Tan fans an easy and affordable way to try their favorite brew. It's a lighter verions of a Black and Tan and the way the porter blends brings out a good aroma. The beer has a smooth taste and is not strongly acidic. When going with Black and tans, we always have a choice. But when choosing Yuengling's take on it, you're making a good one.

11-13-2007 22:12:55 | More by Black7Blue
dedrinker

Kansas

3.23/5  rDev +0.3%

I'm not sure about "black and tan" in a bottle. I thought it was only a draft phenomenon where one beer sat distinctly on top of another. I also thought it meant strictly Guinness and Bass. But I guess that well known mixed drinks call for vodka, gin, bourbon etc. and don't specify the brand just as long as it is the right ingredient, so I also thought a black and tan was a stout on top of a pale ale. Not here though. It says they blend Yuengling Porter with Yuengling Premium, which are significantly lighter than the commonly called-for ingredients, and one is even a lager, so shouldn't it be more of a half and half? It tastes closer to a dunkel - a macro dunkel from the States. That would be closer to the truth I think. What if they just called it "Yuengling Dark"? This beer is ok - it has some faint faint roast somewhere in there, and it is smooth and quite drinkable. This would make a superb training wheel beer for breaking neophytes into darker lagers and ales.

10-26-2007 05:23:17 | More by dedrinker
Bavaria1516

Tennessee

2.98/5  rDev -7.5%

Color of a black cherry when held up to light. Nothing spectacular in the smell, decent taste but nothing close to any black and tans I've had made to order at a pub. Mouth feel was watery and not really chewy at all. Drinkable but definitely prefer Yuengling's lager.

10-21-2007 01:15:51 | More by Bavaria1516
Vvall

Tennessee

2.8/5  rDev -13%

First off,let me say that I'm not real big on pre-mixed Black & Tan's.Having said that,this example falls short of being a "good" mix.It is decent,but nowhere near as good as making your on from various different Porters/Stouts and assorted Ales/Lagers.I make mine with Murphys and Bass...not the most traditional,I know,but I like 'em.Still this is drinkable and reasonably priced,so all and all not bad...just not real good either.

10-13-2007 22:51:20 | More by Vvall
casadebia

3.58/5  rDev +11.2%

Deep amber color with moderate lacing and decent head retention. Metallic notes mixed with floral in the scent with a touch of roasted chocolate. Roasted taste with metallic, floral finish. This beer is a little overpowered by carbonation making it lean more toward the premium beer in it with less of a porter balance. Not much on the thick smooth side. A beer that has an easy flow with moderate taste and not overfilling for a good price.

10-11-2007 15:59:03 | More by casadebia
BuckeyeNation

Iowa

2.75/5  rDev -14.6%

Black with a tan head. Nah, that's way too easy. Actually, when backlit with pallid morning sunshine, the beer is dark cherry in color. Okay, so the head is still tan. It's a fairly decent looking lid and does a passable job when it comes to glass coverage.

The nose is modestly dark malty (steely caramel primarily) and earthily, mustily hoppy. In fact, it reminds me of a Euro dark lager; that slightly more appealing variation on the Euro pale lager blueprint. I'm neither repulsed nor impressed, so... average it is.

Black & Tan is an unequal mixture of Porter (60%) and Premium (40%), two beers that didn't exactly rock my world. What are the chances, then, that this one will? Not good, as it turns out. Still, it isn't bad beer; it's just humdrum, generic, 'dark' beer that struggles to find an identity. Think of it as a watered-down porter and you won't be too far off the mark.

The flavor profile consists of powdered chocolate, dark caramel (that has an extract vibe) and, surprisingly, a dab of melted butter. Metallic doesn't fit, but mineral-like does. The only way this beer is ever going to be good is if the base beers are improved. And I'm not holding my breath for that to happen since I'm sure the brewery and all of its faithful followers love the status quo.

At the risk of repeating myself, the mouthfeel is what happens when two beers with less than stellar mouthfeels are combined. It's borderline thin on the front end and full-on thin by the finish. What, you were expecting Storm King?

Yuengling Black & Tan is nothing if not predictable beer. Having had the lager and the ale that create it, I pretty much knew what to expect. The most enjoyable, drinkable versions of this style combine the best attributes of their base beers. This one, unfortunately, had no chance from the word 'Go'.

10-11-2007 12:53:35 | More by BuckeyeNation
wcdoyle

3.08/5  rDev -4.3%

Dark, nearly opaque brown with touches of red undertones (like cola). Head is a light brown. It’s not generous, but it did stick around. Modest lacing. Smell is light a mix of caramel/coffee and very light hops. Taste was a touch mild with a faint touch of the caramel sweetness and a hint of hops coming on toward the finish and in the aftertaste. What really lingers is the caramel maltiness. Not bad, just nothing special or outstanding. Mouthfeel water actually a bit watery compared to other times I’ve tried (but not reviewed) this beer, but that may just be memory distorting what it was actually like in the past. Low carbonation, so I was—pleasantly—surprising that it finished with a nice crispness. I’m giving the drinkability a touch above an average score because while this beer isn’t a star, there’s nothing really wrong or bad with it and its certainly comes at the right prce ($5.49 at the local grocery).

All this said, I’d actually prefer drinking the standard Yuengling lager.

10-09-2007 19:25:15 | More by wcdoyle
erosier

Connecticut

3.95/5  rDev +22.7%

One very classy beer made up of the porter and the premium. It hits the spot on a cold winter day. Very dark color, but lighter in taste than expected. Very malty and not too hoppy with a hint of coffee at the end of the sip. Very bitter and very delicious. Also fairly cheap for a beer this good. If you like beer, you will like this one.

10-04-2007 16:53:02 | More by erosier
Beerbuddha

Louisiana

3.33/5  rDev +3.4%

Appearance - Nice dark brown coloring with a thin off white head.

Smell- Nice smell of roasted malts and hint of fruits.

Taste- Roasted malts possibly hint of coffee.

Mouthfeel- Body is light with high carbonation.

Drinkability- This isn't a bad beer. Not as good as their lager which I really enjoy.

09-24-2007 19:01:56 | More by Beerbuddha
plaid75

3.35/5  rDev +4%

Poured a soft brown hue with streaks of amber with a three finger foamy tan head. There was decent retention and sticky lacing.

The smell featured a light roasted malt and a pronounced adjunct grain. Some flowery hop aroma as well.

The taste consisted of a decent roasted grain and a slight dry coffee bitterness. Some hints of husky grain and corn detected.

The mouthfeel was on the thin side with a mildly dry finish.

Overall a decent dark macro like offering. Certainly not overly complex, but not bad for the price either. A good gateway beer.

08-28-2007 01:29:34 | More by plaid75
americanwolfdrea

4.78/5  rDev +48.4%

Poured a nice dark almost burnt sugar like color. A mild smell and a robust tremendous taste it finishes clean and just seems like it would be amazing with a steak(from Penna please) steak. It also finishes off any meal, day, or anytime of the day you want. It is tremenedous!!!

08-24-2007 01:51:41 | More by americanwolfdrea
OKCNittany

Oklahoma

3.73/5  rDev +15.8%

12 oz bottle into a pint glass

A: 1/2" tan head that fell to a ring. Deep dark brown, almost black body. Minimal lacing.

S: Decent aroma of roasted malt and dark fruit. Simple, but good.

T: Simple flavor of roasted malts and not a lot else, but it's not bad.

M: The body is too light and a bit fizzy despite a hard pour. Dry finish.

D: A decent, but not great, beer. However, I've had this in large quantities before I could afford (and before I knew about) better & am no worse for the wear. It was usually the best beer available on $1.50 pitcher nights all around State College (back in the early 90s). If I reviewed based on price, I could probably raise the score half a point.

08-05-2007 15:05:24 | More by OKCNittany
srrn

2.65/5  rDev -17.7%

Pours a deep brown. Smells of malt and toast. The taste is like thier standard "Lager" at first, corn overides, then the porter comes through, pleasant enough, a bit of toasted taste you'd expect, but no coffee or chocolate which is the mark of a great porter. The mouthfeel is where this beer fails miserably, it's like soda, a harsh fizzyness. Drinkable beer but nothing to search out.

07-20-2007 02:14:01 | More by srrn
ghostmech007

1.53/5  rDev -52.5%

12oz bottle poured into a pint.

No head, nothing.

Smells like... junk. Lots of dextrose.

Taste's even worse. Very hard on the tongue with burnt flavors and a weak carbonation. Very crisp but doesn't hide the fact that this brew sucks. Sweet at the finish but that doesn't help at all.

I had this one ice cold and it still tasted horrible. Ever again.

07-13-2007 18:42:52 | More by ghostmech007
Cyberkedi

Georgia

4.08/5  rDev +26.7%

From the tap it is a rich deep sable, almost black. Aroma is malty and smoky with strong coffee overtones, very inviting. Flavor is rich and satisfying, tasting of burnt coffee with hints of chocolate - what I call a "stouty" flavor. It is smooth yet lively, very pleasing and drinkable.

07-06-2007 21:04:57 | More by Cyberkedi
mikesgroove

South Carolina

3.3/5  rDev +2.5%

Much thanks to my Father-in-Law for opening me up to another new, but common brew that I may have overlooked....

Well we ran out so I had to hit the father in laws fridge again. This is
never a bad thing per se, depends on the day I guess. Today I find the
Yuengling black and tan. Now believe it or not I had not had one before.
I am usually not one for anything Yuengling, except if I am dying of
thirst, but what the hell I will give it a try....Ice cold bottle coming out of the fridge, poured a very nice dark brown with a foamy off white head that slowly receded leaving behind a nice lacey fringe around the top. Some visible carbonation was noted, looked decent, sorta like a mixed up black and tan, but I didnt expect them to be seperated in the bottle still.

First indications of smell were sweet, caramel was picked up almost immediatly and sort of a burnt smell, roasted malts, and a touch of an english hop perhaps. Not overly strong in the smell category, but noticeable none the less. First impression of the taste was very smooth, almost effortless delivery. Great carbonation gave it the silky feel as you were drinking it. Not too watered down, but not overly think either. Had the sessionable consistency one looks for in a low ABV beer. Flavor was intresting, albeit somewhat muted. Sweet character was the most noticeable, along with some lighter hoppy flavors and a touch of a grain or yeast. Not overly strong or distinct flavor profile, again not the bad either, I would say pretty standard for a dark macro.

Overall, let me get it out of the way by saying I would not really consider this a black and tan. To me this is more of a light porter in both feel and flavor. It was though fairly decent for a Yuengling lager, which I normally really cannot tolerate at all. This was the very least a pleasant suprise. Quite refreshing later in the evening and really just not that bad at all. I would definalty be very open to giving this another try. Seems to be very enjoyable and a good suprise at the end of the night, but again not a true black and tan, I would call it Yuengling Porter.

07-05-2007 21:16:59 | More by mikesgroove
biegaman

Ontario (Canada)

3.05/5  rDev -5.3%

Established in 1829, Yuengling claims to be American's oldest brewery. I'm hoisting their Black & Tan in honor of America to celebrate Independence Day, July 4th 2007 (and even using American spelling - see, no "U" after the o)
Pours with tanned head, average amount with a creamy and peach-fuzz appearance. The body is far from opaque, not even black in colour. It posses much glow when held to the light, sometimes mahogany, sometimes ruby. There is some clarity. Nice lacing, nice colour.
The smell is far from great. Very "lagerish" in character, best described as a standard lager mixed with a small trace of roast barley. It's distinctly roast barley and nothing more, nothing beyond that. The malt bill is very simple, there is no dimension here - only straight up roasted barley. By way of aroma, this is very akin to Guinness.
The taste and texture, also apparently, are very similar to Guinness. The flavour disappears quickly, leaving the palate as dry as it hit it. Very little aftertaste, perhaps some remnants of the roast barley. Luckily it remains too faint to become astringent. No texture to accompany. A medium-high carbonation that you'd find in a mass produced lager.
This is my first experience with a pre-mixed black and tan. It's never been a style that I crave, and even this "classic" rendition certainly didn't raise my opinion. I'd probably 'leave it' rather than 'take it'.

07-05-2007 02:07:24 | More by biegaman