Yuengling Black & Tan - Yuengling Brewery

Yuengling Brewery visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Black & Tan |  4.70% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-07-2001

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Yuengling Black & Tan Alström Bros
3.18/5  rDev -1.2%

Poured 12 ounce can into pint glass

A-Pours Dark with thin head
S-Very faint sweet malt, somewhat bland
T-Malty at first with a faint chocately finish
M&T-Very drinkable/ enjoyable. not heavy or filling
Overall a very drinkable beer, especially at $14 a case

2.93/5  rDev -9%

Appearance: Looks like a bubbly cola, with a tan head that recedes in seconds with no lacing.

Smell: A little roasted malt aroma, a hint of fruitiness.

Taste: mild flavor of dark malts fade into a hint of caramel malt sweetness. Not much aftertaste to speak of.

Mouthfeel: light/medium, smooth mouthfeel, moderate carbonation.

Drinkability: Drinkability is ok, not great. This beer just doesn't seem to have many qualities that would make me want to drink it very often at all.

2.36/5  rDev -26.7%

Was at a local ub ordered a black and tan from a new bar tender, expecting a truse black and tan draft!...got this instead, figured I 'd try it and see...wasn't impressed, finished it and had anohter before decieding to stop at two. Wouldn't dump it by any means but have had a lot better over the years!!

3.81/5  rDev +18.3%

Poured from the 12oz bottle into a Belgian style pint glass.

Appearance- Beer pours a dark brown with a pretty big frothy head about three fingers high. Lacing clings to the sides and doesn't dissipate near as quickly as I would expect. This has to be at least the best looking black & tan.

Smell- Smells like a mix between Yuengling porter and lager. Very good balance between the two. Rich like a lager and malty like a porter with a little more hop than would be expected from either of the two. I guess the combination increases the hop character.

Taste- Light and creamy with first the lager malt, then the porter malt rising forth. Very balanced, very drinkable. The biggest gripe I have is that I would personally like more of the porter character to come through. All in all a good tasting beer.

Mouthfeel- Rich, creamy, well carbonated, and medium bodied. Smooth and drinkable.

Drinkability- This beer really shines with it's drinkability. There is a reason why it is sold in 12 pack cans. This could easily be drank with friends in the backyard playing horseshoes. I'll try to pick a little of this up when and if I go to Pennsylvania any time soon.

3.81/5  rDev +18.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Let me preface my review by saying that personally, I love all types of Yuengling for the simple fact that it is a beer you can guzzle plentiful amounts of without getting filled up, which makes it a great "party" beer. Even the very dark Black & Tan and Porter flavors are still light enough to leave your stomach empty for some more. In my opinion, Yuengling is a great social beer, so I'm very disappointed to see below average results from The Bros.

A - Pours a dark amber/black shade with a one-fingered malty head. The head slowly dissipates to about 1/2-inch, and then to a transparent glaze after comsuming half of the drink.

S - Nothing about the smell sticks out that much aside from its maltiness, and a little hoppiness as well. If anything, it could use a boost in aroma.

T - Not an incredibly strong taste, but depending on what kind of situation you're in, that could be a good thing (i.e. a drunken social gathering, also known as a party). Tastes malty, hoppy, and slightly coffee-like.

M - A little on the thin side, but again, this adds to its drinkability (see below) because of its lightness.

D - I could have many of these in one sitting. It's a very easy drink.

after a business trip to Pennsylvania, the singer of my band, the ill mayhem, brought back a few cases of premium yuengling beers. one such flavor that we sampled as premium yuengling black and tan, a local stalwart ( and vastly under-represented beer, outside the PA Area, as well as being the oldest brewery in America, according to the bottle) but it does not measure up to previous recommendations by notable friends. this beer is oaty, simply put, with a brownish amber hue. its slightly bitter aftertaste is in direct relation to its dark nature. the beer doest not overpower the taste buds, on overwhelm the lounge, as i find happens with some other beers of the yeungling distinction. the mild carbonation of this brewing classic makes this beer an excellent ingredient to any boilermaker. honestly, beyond that it isn't exemplary

2.96/5  rDev -8.1%

12 oz. bottle into a 3 philosopher's chalice.

Bottle pours an impressively dark body with a nice tan head that recedes quickly to a patch of bubbles in the center. Dark orange highlights shine through when held up to the light. The aroma leaves a bit to be desired: some fresh wheat & hops, a hint of chocolate, and some pale malts.

Taste isn't much better, but it's not awful by any means...some pale malts & bland chocolate notes, a sprinkle of hops and sourness. The mouthfeel of this beer is well-carbonated and light on the palate, with a surprisingly decent crisp & bitter, finish. Would I have this again? Sure. Buy it? Definately not.

3.35/5  rDev +4%

Dark in color with a thin head. Aroma is caramel, with a bit of roasted porter-like hints. Taste is some sweet malt with roasted flavors that linger in the aftertaste. Minimal hop bitterness. A little thin, but very easy to drink. This was the fallback beer in the cooler and went down quickly. I wouldn't seek it out, but wouldn't avoid it either.

3.77/5  rDev +17.1%

Dark colored beer with quickly fading head.Aroma is caramel and roasted malts.Taste has slight caramel with a heavier roasted malt taste.This is one of those few beers that both macro and micro lovers can agree on.I always enjoy Yuengling products and this is no exception.Highly recommend!!

2.89/5  rDev -10.2%

This beer poured a pretty purplish-tinged dark brown with a very slight tan head. The nose is very mild, with just a tad bit of porter coffee-scent if you really strain. The taste is mostly malts with a slight-bit of roasted character. The mouthfeel is nice and makes for a drinkable beer.

3.33/5  rDev +3.4%

Clear and brown with ruby highlights. It had a light tan cap of fine bubbles, some stickage and decent head retention. Very mild aroma, a little malty with thin roast. Low bitterness with sweetness and a hint of fruit. Caramel, a bit doughy, hint of chocolate with light roast, and all of it seems to linger. Light bodied with fairly high carbonation. Drinkable, but a little thin.

2.8/5  rDev -13%

Dark clear brown with a slight ruby cast, moderate head with little retention but my glass looks a little dirty.

Aroma is mild, with some light roast and dark grain.

Flavor starts with a slight porter note of very weak coffee and medium roast malt. Finishes with an unpleasant metallic twang.

Body is on the light side and has a very macro mouthfeel. Eh.

2.68/5  rDev -16.8%

I enjoy regular yuengling lager as a nice alternative to some of the usual domestic lights so I thought I would give black and tan a shot.

The color was a nice dark and rich brown/black but the head fell short very quickly. Aromatics were really missing for me but I did pick up a little bit of coffee which I usually like in darker beers.

On my first sip I did get some coffee-dark roast flavors which I really liked but unfortunately this was my first review so I was already thinking of mouth feel. In this I felt that it showed its true colors as a lower end beer because it really did not convey a full mouth feel and was rather thin.

Overall I thought that Yuengling Black and Tan was decent for the money but not really a winner. I think I will stick with their lager when my wallet is thin and try something more exciting for my next review.

3.15/5  rDev -2.2%

Had a few of these during my Christmas holiday in Alabama. Down there you really only have a few options in most places and I'd never had this one. The pretty recent Florida brewery has made this pretty common in the southeast now.
Pours a pretty normal light brown color. Not too dark, but still pretty clearly a few shades darker than most. Looks a little like a pale Euro dark lager.
Smells like a slightly more malty macro lager. I'm not picking up a lot of the characteristics from the porter, but there's a faint roast smell.
Taste starts off like a mild porter, but then fades to a macro-lager diactyl, and then finishes dry. It's not bad, but nothing special. I really wish this was a 50/50 with their amber lager and porter...or if it had more hops. As it stands, it's a little watery and the sweetness needs something to keep it in check.
It's not rich enough for a beer fan or light enough for someone who likes light beer, but just skirting the lines of both.
I had several of these and while they're far from bad, they're a middle-man between a pretty okay porter and a watery macro-lager. Honestly, I think I'd rather have the individual items or better yet, their pretty good amber lager.

3.74/5  rDev +16.1%

Poured from bottle into Sam Adams glass. This is my first beer reviewed in the Sam Adams glass, which may make me like the beer slightly more than I would have otherwise.

Beautiful color, very dark brown with a nice white head. Not much smell, but a good dark malty taste. It's thin in mouthfeel, but that's somewhat expected since half (?) of it is regular Yuengling Lager. But where this beer shines is drinkability: it's a nice dark beer that goes down very easily. In fact, my glass is mysteriously empty already.

I'm revising my review on this one based on further, um, research. It's really very enjoyable and this is the sort of beer that's cheap enough to keep on hand all the time, and good enough to drink it.

3.13/5  rDev -2.8%

I’m not a big fan of Yuengling beers and this one didn’t change my opinion much. I expect a “Black & Tan” to be on par with a real black & tan for, if nothing else, mouthfeel. This beer seemed watered down to me. It tasted OK, but I certainly wouldn’t purchase a case.

I’d suggest Saranac’s Black & Tan over Yuengling’s.

4.06/5  rDev +26.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

the pint is black, the head tan(ish) and it is damn good. the smell is a touch bland (though i'm begining to wonder about my own sense of smell), the taste is wonderful, the thickness of a porter and the crisp lightily hoppy flavor from the permium(which by it self is "pong" beer) and a nice quick finish when compaired to the porter by itself (another recomendation of mine). the mouth-feel: see taste it explains both. and this beer seems to always be lower in the glass than i remember it, goes down Real easy. much better than just a "good call"

3.6/5  rDev +11.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

12oz brown bottle with no freshness dating. Served in a standard pint glass.

Pours a very dark brown to black with a smallish, frothy, tan head. Fairly dense with an adequate carbonation. Head settles quickly and left no lace. Aroma is dominated by the roasted malts, with hints of toffee, caramel, coffee, nuts, dark fruit, and herbal hops. Taste is also lead by the roasted/burnt malts, followed by lesser notes of coffee, caramel, dark fruit (possible raisins or prunes), and finishes with the balancing herbal hop bitterness. It has a sweetness from about the middle to the end. Mouthfeel is medium bodied with an oily texture and lively carbonation. Finishes clean.

Overall, not bad at all. I like the balance of the ingredients and the relative complexity of the flavors. While certainly slanted toward the malt end, there is sufficient hop character to go along. The taste, along with the comparatively cheap price, make this one definitely worth a try. I could and will have another.

2.88/5  rDev -10.6%

Jet black body...pillowy half-finger brown head settles to a tracing...soft toasted malt...not much of the pale ale hops...milky sweetness with a fizzy carbonation...medium body--can I say intriguing? Definite caramel tones and toasted scents when exhaled...light for a porter...once a dollar pitcher college pleasure at the G.O.D. in Bloomsburg, now the Black and Tan is smooth with just enough dimension to still be a serviceable, inexpensive brew...

4.85/5  rDev +50.6%

Bottle poured into pilsner
A: Very Dark, almost black yet slightly transparent. Nice chestnut head and light lacing around glass.

S: Beautiful dark roasted malts and smooth hops tones.

T: Simple but wonderful roasted malts, very light hops and something almost chocolate.

M: Nice start, flavor stays robust and then a smooth dry finish

D: I love this one. I used to drink a case every week when I was younger and then almost forgot about it. Back in my life again, I love Black and Tan. Great with food, camping or just hanging out.

2.85/5  rDev -11.5%

This is one of those OK beers, but if you're from Western PA you love it. Not because it is a hometown beer (a little bit of a stretch) but because it's so cheap and a lot of bars have it for a dollar on draft.
The beer is not a real Black and Tan, more a half and half, but it works. It is a black cola-like hue that pours a little syrupy and leaves a one finger head. Smelling the beer leads one to think you're getting a beer w/ coffee malt, but you're not. It goes down light and smooth with very little distinguishing ingredients on the pallete, which tells you that for a dark beer you're not getting much.
Again, a slightly below average beer but a great deal for your buck.

4.06/5  rDev +26.1%

I'm drinking this beer as we speak. I love this beer as a standard stand by I can always count on at my local shell station. The full sized shell stations (the ones with a subway) actually have a decent selection of beers for a gas station. I usually buy a 6 pack of something like Sam Adams Boston Lager, Becks, or Leinenkugel and a 6 of Black and Tan to balance it out. Yuengling Black and Tan is a good training beer for people that are getting into dark beers. You would think that a macro beer couldn't stand a chance to the world class beers mentioned above or anything else for that matter. I feel that Yuengling B/T is a good beer compared to regular Yuengling and deserves respect amongst drinkers of good beers.

2.43/5  rDev -24.5%

Nice color, nice head and laciness. Very pleasant, nutty aroma. Disappointing taste however. When it hits my tongue I anticipate a deep, rich flavor, but a second later it falls flat into a sour aftertaste I don't like. I haven't had YL porter, but I imagine I wouldn't like it for the same reason. Okay choice if you want to down a 6 pack for the price, but I'd say overall you get what you pay for, rather cheap and not "premium" as the label says, in my opinion.

3.85/5  rDev +19.6%

When trying this sort of Black and Tan, you get the feeling that you're falling into another cheap Black and Tan trap. Not so. Yuengling does a great job of providing Black and Tan fans an easy and affordable way to try their favorite brew. It's a lighter verions of a Black and Tan and the way the porter blends brings out a good aroma. The beer has a smooth taste and is not strongly acidic. When going with Black and tans, we always have a choice. But when choosing Yuengling's take on it, you're making a good one.

3.23/5  rDev +0.3%

I'm not sure about "black and tan" in a bottle. I thought it was only a draft phenomenon where one beer sat distinctly on top of another. I also thought it meant strictly Guinness and Bass. But I guess that well known mixed drinks call for vodka, gin, bourbon etc. and don't specify the brand just as long as it is the right ingredient, so I also thought a black and tan was a stout on top of a pale ale. Not here though. It says they blend Yuengling Porter with Yuengling Premium, which are significantly lighter than the commonly called-for ingredients, and one is even a lager, so shouldn't it be more of a half and half? It tastes closer to a dunkel - a macro dunkel from the States. That would be closer to the truth I think. What if they just called it "Yuengling Dark"? This beer is ok - it has some faint faint roast somewhere in there, and it is smooth and quite drinkable. This would make a superb training wheel beer for breaking neophytes into darker lagers and ales.

Yuengling Black & Tan from Yuengling Brewery