Yuengling Black & Tan - Yuengling Brewery

poor

Yuengling Brewery visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Black & Tan |  4.70% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-07-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Yuengling Black & Tan Alström Bros
3.95/5  rDev +22.7%

One very classy beer made up of the porter and the premium. It hits the spot on a cold winter day. Very dark color, but lighter in taste than expected. Very malty and not too hoppy with a hint of coffee at the end of the sip. Very bitter and very delicious. Also fairly cheap for a beer this good. If you like beer, you will like this one.

3.33/5  rDev +3.4%

Appearance - Nice dark brown coloring with a thin off white head.

Smell- Nice smell of roasted malts and hint of fruits.

Taste- Roasted malts possibly hint of coffee.

Mouthfeel- Body is light with high carbonation.

Drinkability- This isn't a bad beer. Not as good as their lager which I really enjoy.

3.35/5  rDev +4%

Poured a soft brown hue with streaks of amber with a three finger foamy tan head. There was decent retention and sticky lacing.

The smell featured a light roasted malt and a pronounced adjunct grain. Some flowery hop aroma as well.

The taste consisted of a decent roasted grain and a slight dry coffee bitterness. Some hints of husky grain and corn detected.

The mouthfeel was on the thin side with a mildly dry finish.

Overall a decent dark macro like offering. Certainly not overly complex, but not bad for the price either. A good gateway beer.

4.78/5  rDev +48.4%

Poured a nice dark almost burnt sugar like color. A mild smell and a robust tremendous taste it finishes clean and just seems like it would be amazing with a steak(from Penna please) steak. It also finishes off any meal, day, or anytime of the day you want. It is tremenedous!!!

3.73/5  rDev +15.8%

12 oz bottle into a pint glass

A: 1/2" tan head that fell to a ring. Deep dark brown, almost black body. Minimal lacing.

S: Decent aroma of roasted malt and dark fruit. Simple, but good.

T: Simple flavor of roasted malts and not a lot else, but it's not bad.

M: The body is too light and a bit fizzy despite a hard pour. Dry finish.

D: A decent, but not great, beer. However, I've had this in large quantities before I could afford (and before I knew about) better & am no worse for the wear. It was usually the best beer available on $1.50 pitcher nights all around State College (back in the early 90s). If I reviewed based on price, I could probably raise the score half a point.

2.65/5  rDev -17.7%

Pours a deep brown. Smells of malt and toast. The taste is like thier standard "Lager" at first, corn overides, then the porter comes through, pleasant enough, a bit of toasted taste you'd expect, but no coffee or chocolate which is the mark of a great porter. The mouthfeel is where this beer fails miserably, it's like soda, a harsh fizzyness. Drinkable beer but nothing to search out.

1.53/5  rDev -52.5%

12oz bottle poured into a pint.

No head, nothing.

Smells like... junk. Lots of dextrose.

Taste's even worse. Very hard on the tongue with burnt flavors and a weak carbonation. Very crisp but doesn't hide the fact that this brew sucks. Sweet at the finish but that doesn't help at all.

I had this one ice cold and it still tasted horrible. Ever again.

4.08/5  rDev +26.7%

From the tap it is a rich deep sable, almost black. Aroma is malty and smoky with strong coffee overtones, very inviting. Flavor is rich and satisfying, tasting of burnt coffee with hints of chocolate - what I call a "stouty" flavor. It is smooth yet lively, very pleasing and drinkable.

3.3/5  rDev +2.5%

Much thanks to my Father-in-Law for opening me up to another new, but common brew that I may have overlooked....

Well we ran out so I had to hit the father in laws fridge again. This is
never a bad thing per se, depends on the day I guess. Today I find the
Yuengling black and tan. Now believe it or not I had not had one before.
I am usually not one for anything Yuengling, except if I am dying of
thirst, but what the hell I will give it a try....Ice cold bottle coming out of the fridge, poured a very nice dark brown with a foamy off white head that slowly receded leaving behind a nice lacey fringe around the top. Some visible carbonation was noted, looked decent, sorta like a mixed up black and tan, but I didnt expect them to be seperated in the bottle still.

First indications of smell were sweet, caramel was picked up almost immediatly and sort of a burnt smell, roasted malts, and a touch of an english hop perhaps. Not overly strong in the smell category, but noticeable none the less. First impression of the taste was very smooth, almost effortless delivery. Great carbonation gave it the silky feel as you were drinking it. Not too watered down, but not overly think either. Had the sessionable consistency one looks for in a low ABV beer. Flavor was intresting, albeit somewhat muted. Sweet character was the most noticeable, along with some lighter hoppy flavors and a touch of a grain or yeast. Not overly strong or distinct flavor profile, again not the bad either, I would say pretty standard for a dark macro.

Overall, let me get it out of the way by saying I would not really consider this a black and tan. To me this is more of a light porter in both feel and flavor. It was though fairly decent for a Yuengling lager, which I normally really cannot tolerate at all. This was the very least a pleasant suprise. Quite refreshing later in the evening and really just not that bad at all. I would definalty be very open to giving this another try. Seems to be very enjoyable and a good suprise at the end of the night, but again not a true black and tan, I would call it Yuengling Porter.

3.05/5  rDev -5.3%

Established in 1829, Yuengling claims to be American's oldest brewery. I'm hoisting their Black & Tan in honor of America to celebrate Independence Day, July 4th 2007 (and even using American spelling - see, no "U" after the o)
Pours with tanned head, average amount with a creamy and peach-fuzz appearance. The body is far from opaque, not even black in colour. It posses much glow when held to the light, sometimes mahogany, sometimes ruby. There is some clarity. Nice lacing, nice colour.
The smell is far from great. Very "lagerish" in character, best described as a standard lager mixed with a small trace of roast barley. It's distinctly roast barley and nothing more, nothing beyond that. The malt bill is very simple, there is no dimension here - only straight up roasted barley. By way of aroma, this is very akin to Guinness.
The taste and texture, also apparently, are very similar to Guinness. The flavour disappears quickly, leaving the palate as dry as it hit it. Very little aftertaste, perhaps some remnants of the roast barley. Luckily it remains too faint to become astringent. No texture to accompany. A medium-high carbonation that you'd find in a mass produced lager.
This is my first experience with a pre-mixed black and tan. It's never been a style that I crave, and even this "classic" rendition certainly didn't raise my opinion. I'd probably 'leave it' rather than 'take it'.

3.63/5  rDev +12.7%

Pours a dark brown, nearly black color with a decent foamy brown head. Aroma is part lager/part porter with a mix of fruitiness and malt. Taste is roasty with the characterstics of a lager underneath. Somewhat thin but leaves a malty aftertaste. I've never had a black and tan so it's an interesting style to say the least. I think this example holds up for the style. At least, until I can sample more of the style. Pretty good.

4.33/5  rDev +34.5%

Yuengling does a few things, does the same things, and does them very well. Yuengling B&T is easily the best of what they do. Here is a deep, rich mahogany-colored glass with a moderately foamy head and the unmistakable scent of roasted porter malts when you raise the glass. And yet when you take your first sip, you're met not with a sticky, rich porter but a lighter-feeling, bubbly, tingly mouthfeel and a mild roasted malt taste that is really refreshing. There are hops --somewhere-- because you sense a bit of fruity/veggie background and touch of bitterness in the aftertaste, but the smooth balanced taste of both the premium beer (which is not much to write home about all by itself) and the porter (which is nicely toasted) is irresistable. Great on tap too, if you can find it. (Hint: Texas Roadhouse in Westminster, MD)

I am new to the beer tasting game but to this point I must say that Yuengling makes a pretty good beer. Yuengling Black & Tan was my favorite until I found Yuengling’s Porter. Yuengling Black & Tan has a little more bite to it then Yuengling’s Porter.

2.8/5  rDev -13%

Received from Geegnome, thanks!
Pours a dark amber, ruby body and a soapy head. Doesn't look fantastic, just average.
Could detect much in the nose. Nothing off-putting came out though.
Taste isn't bad, isn't great. For a black/tan bottle it's not bad. Caramel and cocao try to come through the malt, but fail. Not much else.
An average beer. Good to try it out since I've heard so many things about this brewer.

2.85/5  rDev -11.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

A mix of Yuengling porter and Yuengling Premium beer. Its a very popular bottled black and tan in the Pittsburgh area. I know a ton of people that are crazy about it. The taste and the mouthfeel are a little too watery for me and the flavors don't seem to mix well. It is still a very drinkable beer and gets people away from the typical marco lagers.

3.1/5  rDev -3.7%

Poured a dark reddish amber color with a generous 1 inch head that took a while to subside. Aroma was nice and malty with good hints of coffee and roasted malts in the nose. The taste was a disappointment however. I could pick up on some definite roasty flavors, malty sweetness and slight bitterness, but they were muted due to a thin and bland mouthfeel. I expected a more complex beer since the aroma was quite good. Drinkability was average. Given the choice between this and your standard macro lager, I'd definitely pick the Yuengling. But I wouldn't go out of my way to seek this out again.

2.68/5  rDev -16.8%

Pours a murky brown color, with some ruby edges. Thick fizzy tan head disappears immediately. No lace left on the sides of the glass. Slightly roasty and grainy aroma. Thin and watery. A slight hint of roastyness, combined with the grainy flavors of an average lager. Lots of carbonation. This one was pretty bland. I don't think this style works in a bottle. Not very good.

1.7/5  rDev -47.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1 | overall: 1.5

12oz bottle, not date. Pours the color of watered-down cola, with rusty caramel highlights. The thin, offwhite head is only around for a second.

The smell consists of roasted grain, caramel, and sugar. The flavor is a sweet grain, toasty and sweet, yet there is very little weight or depth. The mouth is watery and shows zero complexity. All carbonation is lacking and this brew just seems to slide off the palate without leaving any impression.

This underwhelming brew reminds of the awful Honey Brown: grainy sugar water. The Black and Tan in a bottle gimmick just doesn't work.

3.3/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a pitcher into a pint glass, appears dark reddish-brown with moderate carbonation in the pour. Thick brown head that fades rapidly leaving good lacing and a solid ring and spotty cap. Nose is pretty much what would be expected: sweet malt and toasted malt; I might have coaxed more out by warming it but doubt that the beer would have benefited overall. Taste is a good blend of sweet and roasted malt with a bit of coffee and a hint of chocolate. Semi-bitter, dry finish. Pretty decent. Mouth unfortunately a bit on the thin side, marring this brew’s overall appeal, though refreshing and with moderate carbonation. Drinkability is solid; this is easily a sessionable beer.

Overall: A good representation of the “style” of black and tan, if there is such a thing. Elements of lager and stout are clearly represented along with good drinkability. Worth a try, and definitely a cut above what’s usually available on tap.

3.4/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This beer poured a black color with a red hue. The head was thick and cream color, it dissipated quickly. The smell is mostly sour with some malt. The taste is bitter with a slight coffee aftertaste. The mouthfeel is full, but not heavy. This is a decent drinking beer which I’d recommend trying.

3.68/5  rDev +14.3%

It purchased this 12 ounze bottle at Erin's Pub in Bryn Mar, Pa.
Appearance: The body was for my purposes balck. The head was white with light brown undertones. The head was about a finger and a half, with a tad bit of lacing on the way down.
Smell: The aroma was well balanced, it produced a complicated yet simple feel with multiple malts and balancing hops.
Taste: The taste on the other hand was not so well balanced, nothing but the malts could be tasted.
Mouthfeel: Very very smooth.
Drinkability: Fair to high.
Don't drink and review.

3.55/5  rDev +10.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

One finger head that fell pretty fast.A reddish/brown body with a ring of a head left.Smells like Saranac b&t and some hop presence in there.Minimal lacing on the glass, I can smell the dark malts in it.Taste aint bad,I really cant taste the hops.I taste the roasted malts.Carbonation is pretty easy.I would have this again,its not bad but WAY better then macro lagers that I used to drink and for the price ($20.00) for a case its a steal for a night of cheap drinking.Go Yeungling!

2.75/5  rDev -14.6%

I was pretty sure I reviewed this already but apparently I had not.

Yuengling Black & Tan used to be my FAVORITE beer. It was probably the first non-macro beer I ever tried and what started me on my journey of better drinking. Since this time I have had many an imperial stout, so you probably know where this review is going.

I know that Black & Tan is actually a blend of Yuengling Porter and Yuengling Premium. I believe it's a 60-40 ratio? Anyway I'll have to go against my sentimental attachment to this stuff (which I currently have in 12 oz bottles) and say that it's really a bit bland-tasting for a dark brew. Thin, watery, metallic and not much of a roasted aroma to speak of. It's a shame, really. This beer and I have had some good times. It was the perfect compliment to pizza. But I guess I've moved on.

2.25/5  rDev -30.1%

Appearance - Dark brown, with a nice tan head, that fizzed out byt the carbination.

Smell Roasted malts, some choclate hints too.

Taste: Carbination, smokey malt.

Mouthfeel - Light like water feel.

Drinkability - From one of the oldest brewery? Surprise they still sell beer. Was watered down, was not impressed.

3.1/5  rDev -3.7%

Costco had mixed cases at $17, but don't mind me if I switch out the "light", for more of this stuff. Actually, that was probably more trouble then it was worth.

Glug, glug, glug... not very pretty comming out. It sort of drools out of the bottle at a quick pace. It keels over & splashes some suds around, but nothing big. Thin, runny fudge. Heavy & lazy, like a fat sloth. I guess I feel like that today, so why not? :)

Everything smells really dusty; floury. A pocket full of lint & coins. Burnt toast & a sprinkle of salt. Ash & bbq grill drippings also come to mind.

The taste is more metallic, but just as dry. Remember softening up your little league glove? That leathery, salty taste you become familair with; that's there. A little sweetness all around just to make it palatable.

More watery then I would like. It keeps my throat itchy, but irrigated.

Cheap enough filler, but it's just so mundane. All those quality over quantity speeches have taken there effect on me.

Yuengling Black & Tan from Yuengling Brewery