Join our email list →

Yuengling Brewery
Pennsylvania, United States | website

Black & Tan | 4.70% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-07-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Yuengling Black & Tan Alström Bros
Reviews: 669 | Hads: 2,240
3.23/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

The crisp malty flavor is what'd you'd expect based on the darkness of the brew. Though the hops are lacking, the beer is well-rounded compared to most other commercial brews.
I'd drink it again if it were available, but i wouldn't necessarily buy it for myself or recommend it.

4.64/5  rDev +44.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

growing not far from Pottsville PA, I always enjoy the taste of yuengling products. Black and Tan to me is there best product. I like the smell and taste of this product.

2.27/5  rDev -29.5%

Living close to Yuengling my entire life I have had more than my fair share of their suds. If I have a choice, I will drink their porter. However on several occasions the porter was not available so I defaulted to this. Nearly every time I drink this beer (even if its only a bottle or 2) I get the shits. A couple weeks ago a friend and I were talking about how this beer gives us the shits, so we bought some and sure enough both of us ended up with the shits!

Hope you enjoy the review...I have nothing else to add other than I had to write this review since my rate was an outlier that demanded I write one.

3.5/5  rDev +8.7%

If there's beer in my fridge it's probably this one. I know it's no Belgian White or anything but this beer has just about everything I need from one. The flavor is crisp and dark and a 12 won't break my budget.

3.89/5  rDev +20.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 5

Pours a nicely dark almost coke like color with a tan finger and a half almost two head.smells of chocolate and traditional lager behind it. Taste of chocolate and Maybe a little bit of coffee with the flavor of the traditional lager in the back ground very ever so slightly creamy and goes down smooth and very refreshing for a dark beer compared to most I've had not quite a craft beer but not just your normal either definitely recommend it to someone who wants to get into craft beers excellent place to start

2.93/5  rDev -9%

Pours a dark brown color. Holding it to the light it appears burnt red in color. Very little head, minimal lacing. Aroma is roasted malts some cocoa and coffee, but a main wiff of corn resides. Tatse follows the nose, slightly more pleasant than the smell. Mouthfeel is light, somewhat watery but overall not bad. I would just rather thier porter. For black and tans i just make my own. its not bad for the price, but it is what it is.

3.58/5  rDev +11.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pours dark brown little creamy tan head, smells roasty with crisp crackery malts, tastes of malts slight sunflower seed, smooth lasting finish. Decent beer for less than a dollar a bottle.

3.13/5  rDev -2.8%

A nice dark nearly black color. it is an entirely enjoyable beer considering the price.. I got a dozen of the the 16 ounce cans for one dollar each the other day.. No, not the best ever but I enjoyed them. Not a top of the line brew but you know that when you purchase them...

2.88/5  rDev -10.6%

Grainy and burnt flavors from the porter mix with the base Yuengling that just doesn't hold up to the porter flavors. A bit metallic with some cocoa, drinkable, but not the easiest to get through.

3.13/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

A - Nice moderate tan head over a dark brown, opaque body. Lacing is major.

S - Grains and roast notes. Pretty subdued.

T - Following the nose, with caramel and meal, mingling with a bitter roast bite in the middle, resolving to a sweeter, doughy element at the end.

M - Light and abrasive. Not great.

O - Not a favorite. Too light for a good porter.

2.92/5  rDev -9.3%

Liked this as a nice cheap every-day type beer as I always enjoyed black and tans. Then made the mistake of drinking one after having some very good IPA's. It's exactly what the ratings give it, an ok alternative to a black n tan draft.

3.34/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a pint glass.

Appearance: Dark brown with a thick beige head that dissipates to a lacing.

Smell: Roasted malt, some chocolate. Smells mostly like a porter.

Taste: Like the smell. Roasted malt with caramel and chocolate. A hint of the yuengling lager.

Mouthfeel: Smooth, but very carbonated.

Overall: A nice change from the typical yuengling beer. I would have it again.

3.03/5  rDev -5.9%
look: 4 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

this is really a go to beer for me when I need a break from hi octane craft brews. It's not the greatest beer in the world, however, for an everyday affordable beer this is definitely one of my favorites.

3.19/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

My Brother-in-Law was ranting an raving about this beer that they got in Tennessee and he gave me one for the road.

A - Deep brown color. A very deep mahogany color in the light. Light khaki head with no staying power. Almost no lacing.

S - Very light porter character with some chocolate, roastiness, and some light lager tones. Less burnt roastiness than a Guinness but not as deep.

T - The beer has a start like a low abv porter (imagine that!). The light chocolate and gentle roasted character are at the fore tongue. In the middle there is some traditional light lager flavor with some light graininess and a generic sweet lager flavor that is typical of domestic commercial beers. The finish is crisp with a light toffee, caramel sweetness and the remnants of a lager beer.
M - Light mouth-feel. Moderate carbonation. Very watery and thin/soft on the palate. Similar to a Guinness black and tan but with less roasted bite and more of a lager beer finish.

Overall, not a beer that I would consider "Craft". It's thin and doesn't have much flavor but the flavors that are there are ok. I would suggest they just cut the water in half and try again. I bet the beer would be a winner at 9% ABV and the same flavor profile. If you are just trying out dark beers and think that something like a real porter or stout would dissuade you then this would be a good baby step in the right direction.

Glass- SA Perfect Pint Glass

3.14/5  rDev -2.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

12 oz bottle, poured into a pint glass

Appearance: Pours a beautiful, completely opaque, pitch-black color with a quarter of a finger of white-colored head that quickly dissolved away into a thin lacing of foam that partially covered the top of the beer.

Aroma: Very aromatic, with strong aromas of bready, roasted malt, imparting notes of freshly toasted dark bread, ground coffee beans, dark chocolate, dark molasses, and brown sugar.

Taste: Pretty good, but not great. Strong flavors of bready, roasted malt up front, followed by some brown sugar and caramel-like sweetness and finished by some slightly sour, slightly vinegary, corn or rice adjunct-like flavors.

Mouthfeel: Medium to medium/thin, and slightly effervescent. With an ABV of 4.6%, there is no alcohol on the palate.

Overall: This is a decent beer, possessing some nice roasted malt flavors, mingled with some semi-sweet and semi-sour (due I guess to corn adjuncts). It’s pleasant, but very forgettable. I’d much rather have a traditional Black & Tan (half and half of Guinness and Newcastle) or a Yuengling Porter or Oktoberfest over this beer, but I wouldn’t turn it down if offered.

3.86/5  rDev +19.9%

I like this beer except for that sweetness in the middle. Price makes this a high value beer and the low alcohol content (4.7 on this site) is a bonus for me.

3.48/5  rDev +8.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

12/14...pours dark brown, light reflects a deep red. Fast fizz, little foam. Small roasted nose, lighter malt. Taste is a lighter dark malt that fades fast and finishes like a lager. Kind of exactly what I expected.

2.84/5  rDev -11.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

Picked up a 12-pack of this a while back when all the Yuengling 12-packs were on sale for $8.99 at the local Food Lion. I've had 5 of them so far, and this review is based primarily on the most recent one I had with some observations from the previous ones mixed in.

Looks pretty nice. Very, very dark color--almost black, though there's some visible dark redness in there too. When I put my little LED flashlight up against one side of the glass I could only see a circle of red LED dots on the other side rather than any of the actual flashlight beam. To compare to other beers I've had, the color's lighter than Guinness but darker than Negra Modelo. Head is a light tan-ish color, there's more there than the regular Yuengling lager but most of it bubbles away fairly fast, though for a while afterward a little bit hangs around on the surface.

The smell is probably my least favorite part of this beer. It's similar to the regular Yuengling but a bit stronger, and mostly in a bad way--I'm not entirely sure how to describe it beyond that. The smell changes a bit as the beer warms up slightly and the head fades away, but it doesn't really become any more (or less) pleasant.

Taste is pretty nice for the most part. Similar to regular Yuengling but not quite as sweet and with a bit more "darker" flavors mixed in; there's bread and just a bit of nice chocolatey taste that tends to show up more in the aftertaste than while you're first drinking it. If the flavor stayed the same or got better as it warmed, or the emphasis was more on the chocolatey flavors, I'd probably rate this higher... as is, however, you definitely want to drink this straight out of the fridge and finish it before it warms too much. I assume the iffy flavors and the changes to the smell that start showing up when it warms too much are coming from the lighter beer they've mixed their porter with to make this, as I've read that a lot of the lighter lagers are best served cold and don't tend to hold up well at higher temperatures compared to darker beers.

Oddly, the first time I had one of these (after eating a ham and cheese sandwich) I felt REALLY full afterward, more so than with any other beer I've had with or after a meal so far. I figure it's worth mentioning that this is definitely a bit more filling than other beers I've had, or at least the others I've had with food. Also unusual is that the first one I had didn't seem to drop off so much as it warmed, in fact I actually ended up liking it the whole time--maybe this is a beer that stands up better when paired with food than on its own?

Overall, I'd say that I liked the "black" half of this beer but am unsure that the "tan" really added much to the mixture. I haven't had Yuengling Porter and Yeungling Premium Beer individually (stores around here only seem to carry their Traditional Lager, Black & Tan, and Light Lager) so I can't really compare the Black & Tan to each of its component parts just yet, but I'm assuming I--and anyone else who likes those chocolatey "darker beer" flavors--would probably prefer the Porter over this one.

4.02/5  rDev +24.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Poured from 12 oz. bottle to a pint glass.

A: Pours a dark brown with a ruby hue in the light. 1/2 in. tan head that fades fast.
S: Cereal, rich toasty grains, faint hint of booze.
T: Deep toasty grains, hint of coffee, black toast, rich body. Crispy ending because of the mix with the premium beer.
M: Light-Medium. Nice and crisp. Overall light taste.
O: Good flavor and a great lightness and crisp taste. Great for the summer months if you want a darker beer. Cheap as well.

3.25/5  rDev +0.9%

Pours a dark brown to almost black color with a small 1/2 inch head that disappears quickly leaving a little lacing down a goblet style glass.

Smell is of malts. I dont get much more but it has enough to get a good whiff of.

Taste is pretty decent. The sweetness from the malts, reminds me alot of the traditional lager. At the end I get some roasted malt taste of maybe coffee and chocolate, theres not much of it but I get a little taste.

Mouthfeel is medium. Probably a little fuller than the traditional lager.

Overall, a good beer. Real similar to the traditional lager so if you like that then you will probably like this. Gives a little something different from the traditional however it is ever so slight.

2.05/5  rDev -36.3%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2

Ok, the wait is over. For the first time, Yuengling beer is now available in CT. I had my first Yuengling almost 20 years ago. So, now that we brought this into the store, I had to see how it was.
Well the black and tan was what it was.

3.1/5  rDev -3.7%

354ml bottle as a gift from Virginia, USA:
I was disappointed with this one a little, I was expecting a little bitter more from my first beer from a brewery with such a long history but this one failed to deliver; hopefully if I ever get to try their Dark Brewed Porter or their Premium lager individually they will come out better than this combination of the two did. The beer was too basic for my liking and the porter part seemed to dominate but when the lager did making an appearance it wasn't welcome and seemed to negatively impact the taste; this one isn't a beer I'd be eager to try again but I wouldn't mind get my hands on some of the brewery's other beers.

3.5/5  rDev +8.7%

Given to me by my homie Traphouse on the eve of the Chiefs domination of the Patriots at Arrowhead on Monday Night Football, which in case you didn't notice also featured us regaining the title of the Loudest Stadium in the World. Side poured from the can into the glass.

Appearance - Pours a very dark, porter-style brown to black with a light tan head of about one finger. Just what I would expect. Of course it is a Yuengling product, and we can't get that in Missouri, so there is a lot of hype surrounding it. But I must maintain a cool, objective head.

Smell - Some roasted malts and breads, not much other than that.

Taste - Pretty basic, although that is not necessarily a bad thing. Dark malts, breadiness, and a bit of smoky char are basically it for the flavors. But it is well balanced and tasty.

Mouthfeel - Thick and rich, finishes smooth and silky.

Overall - Worth a try, although I could pick 50 different products I would rather have than this if I were to take a trip to PA and bring back beer. Hell just standard Yuengling is better, although I think this is rated a bit low on this site. At least I got to watch the Chiefs take it to the Pats whilst drinking this brew.

3.1/5  rDev -3.7%

From notes on 4/7/14

Poured from a bottle into a glass. Much darker than I thought. Had been drinking right from the bottle so I didn't realize this. Malty sweet aroma. Ok taste. Not much there. Kind of reminds me of a porter I made. Easy drinking, but not much to it.

3.26/5  rDev +1.2%

Pours an opaque black with a foamy dark khaki head that fades to nothing. Tiny dots of lace slowly drip into the remaining beer on the drink down. Smell is of roasted malt, char, and slight cocoa powder aromas. Taste is much the same with roasted malt, grain, and char flavors on the finish. There is a mild amount of roast bitterness on the palate with each sip. This beer has a lower level of carbonation with a slightly crisp mouthfeel. Overall, this is an above average beer that is drinkable, but nothing very memorable in my opinion.

Serving type: bottle.