Follow our progress ...

Style: Black & Tan

Added by BeerAdvocate on 11-07-2001

Reviews: 674 | Ratings: 2,287
2.05/5  rDev -36.3%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2

Ok, the wait is over. For the first time, Yuengling beer is now available in CT. I had my first Yuengling almost 20 years ago. So, now that we brought this into the store, I had to see how it was.
Well the black and tan was what it was.

3.1/5  rDev -3.7%

354ml bottle as a gift from Virginia, USA:
I was disappointed with this one a little, I was expecting a little bitter more from my first beer from a brewery with such a long history but this one failed to deliver; hopefully if I ever get to try their Dark Brewed Porter or their Premium lager individually they will come out better than this combination of the two did. The beer was too basic for my liking and the porter part seemed to dominate but when the lager did making an appearance it wasn't welcome and seemed to negatively impact the taste; this one isn't a beer I'd be eager to try again but I wouldn't mind get my hands on some of the brewery's other beers.

3.5/5  rDev +8.7%

Given to me by my homie Traphouse on the eve of the Chiefs domination of the Patriots at Arrowhead on Monday Night Football, which in case you didn't notice also featured us regaining the title of the Loudest Stadium in the World. Side poured from the can into the glass.

Appearance - Pours a very dark, porter-style brown to black with a light tan head of about one finger. Just what I would expect. Of course it is a Yuengling product, and we can't get that in Missouri, so there is a lot of hype surrounding it. But I must maintain a cool, objective head.

Smell - Some roasted malts and breads, not much other than that.

Taste - Pretty basic, although that is not necessarily a bad thing. Dark malts, breadiness, and a bit of smoky char are basically it for the flavors. But it is well balanced and tasty.

Mouthfeel - Thick and rich, finishes smooth and silky.

Overall - Worth a try, although I could pick 50 different products I would rather have than this if I were to take a trip to PA and bring back beer. Hell just standard Yuengling is better, although I think this is rated a bit low on this site. At least I got to watch the Chiefs take it to the Pats whilst drinking this brew.

3.1/5  rDev -3.7%

From notes on 4/7/14

Poured from a bottle into a glass. Much darker than I thought. Had been drinking right from the bottle so I didn't realize this. Malty sweet aroma. Ok taste. Not much there. Kind of reminds me of a porter I made. Easy drinking, but not much to it.

3.26/5  rDev +1.2%

Pours an opaque black with a foamy dark khaki head that fades to nothing. Tiny dots of lace slowly drip into the remaining beer on the drink down. Smell is of roasted malt, char, and slight cocoa powder aromas. Taste is much the same with roasted malt, grain, and char flavors on the finish. There is a mild amount of roast bitterness on the palate with each sip. This beer has a lower level of carbonation with a slightly crisp mouthfeel. Overall, this is an above average beer that is drinkable, but nothing very memorable in my opinion.

Serving type: bottle.

2.62/5  rDev -18.6%

"Porter brewed with premium beer". Ok, what would premium beer be? It's anyone's guess, but I have a 12 ounce bottle to give a guess. On to the beer:

This beer is not black and tan, but dark brown with a hue of dark red. A half-inch of head rests on top this beer, which shows more than fair retention. The aroma takes down my hopes dramatically. I can smell astringent grain and another note of vague grain. There's also an acidic character which should not be there. Not good.

At least the black part of the beer shines. Little bits of dark malts bring a distinct roasty touch to an otherwise pizza chaser beer. Based on its easy drinking character, I suspect that premium beer means simple lager. But like the aroma, the taste has an acidic issue, though it's not as upfront as it shows in the aroma. It's a light bodied beer with buzzy, soda-like carbonation.

Meh. It's drinkable, though it's not a spectacular beer.

Not as flavorful as Yuengling Traditional, which I prefer. Nice color, nice head. The phrase "drinkable" comes to mind, though cliche, in the sense that this stuff actually has some flavor, isn't too light, and isn't too bready. In the area of being good but not great, it's even more Yuengling than Yuengling Traditional.

2.66/5  rDev -17.4%

I drink this one a bunch combo of their porter and their premium, which is a misnomer because it's their low end beer, mixes well however,typical black and tan,that mixes a dark with a adjunct.

2.88/5  rDev -10.6%

Meh. Appearance is a dark brown with very little in the way of carbonation. The smell was very subtle although I did get some toast. The taste was mellow with very little in the way of noticeable flavors, mostly just a little bit of toasted malt. The mouthfeel was also way too thin for the style for me.

2.25/5  rDev -30.1%

I drank this one time and that night my body was sore. I had aches on my muscles, it was the strangest thing. It felt like I worked out and my body was exhausted. That can't be good since I've never gotten that feeling from any other beer.

3.69/5  rDev +14.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

On tap
Aroma of roasted malt
Head size unknown, light brown, creamy, slowly diminishing
Lacing good – partial rings of small bubbles
Body Dark amber, clear
Flavor roasted malt, ends with slight chocolate taste; no hops, no alcohol, no diacetyl
Palate medium, watery, lively carbonation

A decent take on a black and tan, a little smoother than the porter but still very tasty.

3.05/5  rDev -5.3%

The color is a brilliant black with a bold regal color but the head just fizzled away in a mass of carbonation.

The nose is malty with some char. For the most part it's a light cocoa malt, some soy, with a caramel sweetness.

The flavors are a little weak and watery but I get prune, grapes, roasted malt, some char, roast, chocolate malt, marshmallow and a little ember.

The feel is extremely thin and watery but it certainly drinks easy.

Before I understood craft beer this was my "special" beer, funny how things change.

2.97/5  rDev -7.8%

Appearance: 1 inch head, dark brown in color, high carbonation, clear

Smell: caramel and cocoa

Taste: caramel, dark chocolate, and slight char

Mouthfeel:sweet with slight roastiness, light bodied with medium carbonation

Overall: An average to slightly below average black and tan. Since Yuengling has been reintroduced to Massachusetts, I have been thinking there beers have been better than I remember them being. That is not the case unfortunately with this one. It is not a bad beer, but just one that does not stick out. I would not turn it down if it was offered to me, but would not pick it up either.

3.69/5  rDev +14.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

2,000 reviews and I never reviewed this local black and tan! Paid only a dollar for the single. Reviews seem on par it's their porter mixed with their premium regular lager beer.

A - Deep brown hazy colored beer with a 1/2 inch of opaque colored head that sticks around for a bit.
S - Slight porter notes of roast but too mild really. Some pale malts maybe some nuttiness or caramel its really not too distinct.
T - Biscuit malt, slight acidity and some sweeter malts resembling caramel. Roast is lost in the mix but it is rather smooth.
M - Light to medium body. It's decent.

Overall I liked this a bit more than the Hefeweizen I had but only since I had lower standards. It's a very drinkable Black and tan.

3.29/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

A: Dark brown body, with pleasant caramel color around the edges of the glass and a thin coating of fine off-white head.

S: Nutty and sweet with a light toasted malt aroma. Faint, but stronger than I thought it might be.

T: Roasted malt is most of what I taste, though there's a decent biscuit flavor too, maybe a bit of caramel. Simple but there's nothing wrong with it.

M: Thin, lively carbonation, pretty crisp.

O: Nice offering from Yuengling; good if you're looking for a tasty, affordable beer that's a little different than most of your widely available, affordable beers.

3.66/5  rDev +13.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bottle poured into a glass.

A-slightly tan head was super thin and gone in a matter of seconds. Deep brownish red, almost black, color.

S-nutty aroma with a slight hint of what I can best describe as cherry-like sweetness

T-nuttiness confirmed, some chocolate or coffee flavors

M- medium bodied, rich malts

O-very good, delicious beer. Much better than it looked

2.88/5  rDev -10.6%

Pours a fairly dark mahogany with ruby highlights. Scant 1/3 finger light tan head that soon wastes away to a ring around the glass.

Some faint tart toasted malt on the nose. Not much going on.

Mainly tart. A hint of sweet, a hint of bitter.

Carbonation fizzy like soda. Fairly thin. Light warmth.

Easy to drink, I could chug this. There's just not much depth to it.

3.36/5  rDev +4.3%

A- black with light shining through the edges, almost not head to it

S-not much going on when you smell it

T-i find the taste pretty enjoyable you can find caramel and coffee in it but much more caramel but its still not prominent

M-as soon as you swallow the beer the taste and feel is gone

O- a very enjoyable beer that tastes like yuenglings flagship beer mixed with a porter

2.75/5  rDev -14.6%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Woah, haven't reviewed a true Black & Tan in quite some time. Not sure this needs to take up 1/3 of an entire fridge at the local stores but it fit in a cheaper mixed six so we shall see.

A- Poured from the 12oz bottle to a pint glass with a pretty much black body that has some dark brown hues as light pierces the edges. A small foamy cap builds to a finger but dies down just as fast as the retention is poor. The small light tan ring leaves spotty lacing in a few small patches.

S- Most of what I get off the top is the standard Yuengling lager. Light lager yeast, some fruity hints and slight hops. The Black portion of the brew lends some hints of roast, caramel and nuttiness but fairly muted.

T- Porter half of the brew comes out much more than in the nose but feels watery since the other half of the beer doesn't really bring much to the table. Watered down notes of roast grains, caramel, nutty malts, biscuit and sweets. Also light spicy hops, yeast bread, raisins and apple/grape fruit hints.

MF- Light bodied with a foamy, slightly creamy overall texture. Carbonation is moderately high with some agitation of the palate.

The dark half of the beer actually seems to open up a bit with warming but never overcomes the feeling of being watered down with neutral lager. The final product is decent but nothing I would have again with better Black and Tans being made locally.

2.88/5  rDev -10.6%

Pours a burnt amber color, a tan head. The head is dissipating rapidly... and now it's gone. Smell is fruity, almost like raspberries.Taste is slightly smokey and a little roast, and malt. Just a hint of caramel, thank god that fruity smell has worn off, but I do pick it up a little in the taste. Mouthfeel a thin and fizzy.

2.5/5  rDev -22.4%

Picked up some Yuengling Black and Tan since it's new to Massachusetts. I've had their flagship beer before and it was ok. Was not very impressed with this. Poured well but had a very light smell. Upon drinking, I began to wonder if I had come down with a cold because I didn't taste much. It's very light-bodied with only hints of hops and the roasted flavor I would expect. Didn't taste any of the caramel the label promised. Over all, not an awful beer but definitely not a great beer either.

4.82/5  rDev +49.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Yuengling Original Black and Tan. For starters it's very good. Let me tell you what. If you do not like we'll there's nothing I can do. So enjoy that shit. It's not heavy to heavy per say. This beer is smooth. Bottles never cans and always Draft if u you can.

3.5/5  rDev +8.7%

Yuengling Black & Tan brewed by Yuengling. This brew pours out a dark brown almost like black coffee. Also has a light brown head on top. The smell is rich with flavor. There is nothing bad about the smell of this brew. The taste of this brew is good nothing bad real smooth. There is a lot of flavor to brew but it is not over powering. Clean smooth finish nothing bad at all. I'm not really a big fan of dark beers but this one I like. I'm more of American style Lager kind of person but this porter is just right.

2.58/5  rDev -19.9%

Pours a burnt amber color which is nice, with a tan head that has a lot of tiny bubbles. The head is dissipating rapidly... and now it's gone. Smell is surprisingly fruity, almost like raspberries. OK, I'm officially nervous to taste this. Taste is slightly smokey and a little roast, and malt. Just a hint of caramel, thank god that fruity smell has worn off, but I do pick it up a little in the taste. Mouthfeel a thin and fizzy like drinking soda pop.

Overall, it's ok but you definitely can take a pass on this one. I guess if you were a Bud drinker this may be a great change of pace beer for you.

3.3/5  rDev +2.5%

Yuengling Black and Tan ~I Really like this Beer,but just like the rest of Yuengling's line up,I Would not want to drink it all the time,Yuengling is like that weird friend you have,you love to see him now and then,Hang out & have a good time and some laughs...but after awhile,he starts getting on your nerves...but why,you really do not know,take Yuengling Bock for instance,it is good,I enjoy it a lot..but by the second or third one,I swear by the Beer gods I taste a strong Grapefruit flavor creeping in! Very strange Indeed for a Bock Beer.
anyway,Yuengling B&T is a Good Beer,Not Great Mind you,But Good,and also priced right,$6.29 a 6er,that is a Deal and a Half for a smooth easy drinking Black and Tan,it won't fill you up or bloat you,it has enough flavor without slapping you across the face with it,it is mellow and highly drinkable,also a nice change of pace for those backyard BBQ's and cookouts,when all the yuppies are drinking coors light or Bud Light,you can have your own cooler of B&T and laugh @ those silly mineral water sipping twats..mwahuhuhuhu! cheers and peace2all;)

Yuengling Black & Tan from Yuengling Brewery