Join our email list →

Yuengling Brewery
Pennsylvania, United States | website

Black & Tan | 4.70% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-07-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Yuengling Black & Tan Alström Bros
Reviews: 669 | Hads: 2,243
2.62/5  rDev -18.6%

"Porter brewed with premium beer". Ok, what would premium beer be? It's anyone's guess, but I have a 12 ounce bottle to give a guess. On to the beer:

This beer is not black and tan, but dark brown with a hue of dark red. A half-inch of head rests on top this beer, which shows more than fair retention. The aroma takes down my hopes dramatically. I can smell astringent grain and another note of vague grain. There's also an acidic character which should not be there. Not good.

At least the black part of the beer shines. Little bits of dark malts bring a distinct roasty touch to an otherwise pizza chaser beer. Based on its easy drinking character, I suspect that premium beer means simple lager. But like the aroma, the taste has an acidic issue, though it's not as upfront as it shows in the aroma. It's a light bodied beer with buzzy, soda-like carbonation.

Meh. It's drinkable, though it's not a spectacular beer.

Not as flavorful as Yuengling Traditional, which I prefer. Nice color, nice head. The phrase "drinkable" comes to mind, though cliche, in the sense that this stuff actually has some flavor, isn't too light, and isn't too bready. In the area of being good but not great, it's even more Yuengling than Yuengling Traditional.

2.66/5  rDev -17.4%

I drink this one a bunch combo of their porter and their premium, which is a misnomer because it's their low end beer, mixes well however,typical black and tan,that mixes a dark with a adjunct.

2.88/5  rDev -10.6%

Meh. Appearance is a dark brown with very little in the way of carbonation. The smell was very subtle although I did get some toast. The taste was mellow with very little in the way of noticeable flavors, mostly just a little bit of toasted malt. The mouthfeel was also way too thin for the style for me.

2.25/5  rDev -30.1%

I drank this one time and that night my body was sore. I had aches on my muscles, it was the strangest thing. It felt like I worked out and my body was exhausted. That can't be good since I've never gotten that feeling from any other beer.

3.69/5  rDev +14.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

On tap
Aroma of roasted malt
Head size unknown, light brown, creamy, slowly diminishing
Lacing good – partial rings of small bubbles
Body Dark amber, clear
Flavor roasted malt, ends with slight chocolate taste; no hops, no alcohol, no diacetyl
Palate medium, watery, lively carbonation

A decent take on a black and tan, a little smoother than the porter but still very tasty.

3.05/5  rDev -5.3%

The color is a brilliant black with a bold regal color but the head just fizzled away in a mass of carbonation.

The nose is malty with some char. For the most part it's a light cocoa malt, some soy, with a caramel sweetness.

The flavors are a little weak and watery but I get prune, grapes, roasted malt, some char, roast, chocolate malt, marshmallow and a little ember.

The feel is extremely thin and watery but it certainly drinks easy.

Before I understood craft beer this was my "special" beer, funny how things change.

2.97/5  rDev -7.8%

Appearance: 1 inch head, dark brown in color, high carbonation, clear

Smell: caramel and cocoa

Taste: caramel, dark chocolate, and slight char

Mouthfeel:sweet with slight roastiness, light bodied with medium carbonation

Overall: An average to slightly below average black and tan. Since Yuengling has been reintroduced to Massachusetts, I have been thinking there beers have been better than I remember them being. That is not the case unfortunately with this one. It is not a bad beer, but just one that does not stick out. I would not turn it down if it was offered to me, but would not pick it up either.

3.69/5  rDev +14.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

2,000 reviews and I never reviewed this local black and tan! Paid only a dollar for the single. Reviews seem on par it's their porter mixed with their premium regular lager beer.

A - Deep brown hazy colored beer with a 1/2 inch of opaque colored head that sticks around for a bit.
S - Slight porter notes of roast but too mild really. Some pale malts maybe some nuttiness or caramel its really not too distinct.
T - Biscuit malt, slight acidity and some sweeter malts resembling caramel. Roast is lost in the mix but it is rather smooth.
M - Light to medium body. It's decent.

Overall I liked this a bit more than the Hefeweizen I had but only since I had lower standards. It's a very drinkable Black and tan.

3.29/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

A: Dark brown body, with pleasant caramel color around the edges of the glass and a thin coating of fine off-white head.

S: Nutty and sweet with a light toasted malt aroma. Faint, but stronger than I thought it might be.

T: Roasted malt is most of what I taste, though there's a decent biscuit flavor too, maybe a bit of caramel. Simple but there's nothing wrong with it.

M: Thin, lively carbonation, pretty crisp.

O: Nice offering from Yuengling; good if you're looking for a tasty, affordable beer that's a little different than most of your widely available, affordable beers.

3.66/5  rDev +13.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bottle poured into a glass.

A-slightly tan head was super thin and gone in a matter of seconds. Deep brownish red, almost black, color.

S-nutty aroma with a slight hint of what I can best describe as cherry-like sweetness

T-nuttiness confirmed, some chocolate or coffee flavors

M- medium bodied, rich malts

O-very good, delicious beer. Much better than it looked

2.88/5  rDev -10.6%

Pours a fairly dark mahogany with ruby highlights. Scant 1/3 finger light tan head that soon wastes away to a ring around the glass.

Some faint tart toasted malt on the nose. Not much going on.

Mainly tart. A hint of sweet, a hint of bitter.

Carbonation fizzy like soda. Fairly thin. Light warmth.

Easy to drink, I could chug this. There's just not much depth to it.

3.36/5  rDev +4.3%

A- black with light shining through the edges, almost not head to it

S-not much going on when you smell it

T-i find the taste pretty enjoyable you can find caramel and coffee in it but much more caramel but its still not prominent

M-as soon as you swallow the beer the taste and feel is gone

O- a very enjoyable beer that tastes like yuenglings flagship beer mixed with a porter

2.75/5  rDev -14.6%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Woah, haven't reviewed a true Black & Tan in quite some time. Not sure this needs to take up 1/3 of an entire fridge at the local stores but it fit in a cheaper mixed six so we shall see.

A- Poured from the 12oz bottle to a pint glass with a pretty much black body that has some dark brown hues as light pierces the edges. A small foamy cap builds to a finger but dies down just as fast as the retention is poor. The small light tan ring leaves spotty lacing in a few small patches.

S- Most of what I get off the top is the standard Yuengling lager. Light lager yeast, some fruity hints and slight hops. The Black portion of the brew lends some hints of roast, caramel and nuttiness but fairly muted.

T- Porter half of the brew comes out much more than in the nose but feels watery since the other half of the beer doesn't really bring much to the table. Watered down notes of roast grains, caramel, nutty malts, biscuit and sweets. Also light spicy hops, yeast bread, raisins and apple/grape fruit hints.

MF- Light bodied with a foamy, slightly creamy overall texture. Carbonation is moderately high with some agitation of the palate.

The dark half of the beer actually seems to open up a bit with warming but never overcomes the feeling of being watered down with neutral lager. The final product is decent but nothing I would have again with better Black and Tans being made locally.

2.88/5  rDev -10.6%

Pours a burnt amber color, a tan head. The head is dissipating rapidly... and now it's gone. Smell is fruity, almost like raspberries.Taste is slightly smokey and a little roast, and malt. Just a hint of caramel, thank god that fruity smell has worn off, but I do pick it up a little in the taste. Mouthfeel a thin and fizzy.

2.5/5  rDev -22.4%

Picked up some Yuengling Black and Tan since it's new to Massachusetts. I've had their flagship beer before and it was ok. Was not very impressed with this. Poured well but had a very light smell. Upon drinking, I began to wonder if I had come down with a cold because I didn't taste much. It's very light-bodied with only hints of hops and the roasted flavor I would expect. Didn't taste any of the caramel the label promised. Over all, not an awful beer but definitely not a great beer either.

4.82/5  rDev +49.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Yuengling Original Black and Tan. For starters it's very good. Let me tell you what. If you do not like we'll there's nothing I can do. So enjoy that shit. It's not heavy to heavy per say. This beer is smooth. Bottles never cans and always Draft if u you can.

3.5/5  rDev +8.7%

Yuengling Black & Tan brewed by Yuengling. This brew pours out a dark brown almost like black coffee. Also has a light brown head on top. The smell is rich with flavor. There is nothing bad about the smell of this brew. The taste of this brew is good nothing bad real smooth. There is a lot of flavor to brew but it is not over powering. Clean smooth finish nothing bad at all. I'm not really a big fan of dark beers but this one I like. I'm more of American style Lager kind of person but this porter is just right.

2.58/5  rDev -19.9%

Pours a burnt amber color which is nice, with a tan head that has a lot of tiny bubbles. The head is dissipating rapidly... and now it's gone. Smell is surprisingly fruity, almost like raspberries. OK, I'm officially nervous to taste this. Taste is slightly smokey and a little roast, and malt. Just a hint of caramel, thank god that fruity smell has worn off, but I do pick it up a little in the taste. Mouthfeel a thin and fizzy like drinking soda pop.

Overall, it's ok but you definitely can take a pass on this one. I guess if you were a Bud drinker this may be a great change of pace beer for you.

3.3/5  rDev +2.5%

Yuengling Black and Tan ~I Really like this Beer,but just like the rest of Yuengling's line up,I Would not want to drink it all the time,Yuengling is like that weird friend you have,you love to see him now and then,Hang out & have a good time and some laughs...but after awhile,he starts getting on your nerves...but why,you really do not know,take Yuengling Bock for instance,it is good,I enjoy it a lot..but by the second or third one,I swear by the Beer gods I taste a strong Grapefruit flavor creeping in! Very strange Indeed for a Bock Beer.
anyway,Yuengling B&T is a Good Beer,Not Great Mind you,But Good,and also priced right,$6.29 a 6er,that is a Deal and a Half for a smooth easy drinking Black and Tan,it won't fill you up or bloat you,it has enough flavor without slapping you across the face with it,it is mellow and highly drinkable,also a nice change of pace for those backyard BBQ's and cookouts,when all the yuppies are drinking coors light or Bud Light,you can have your own cooler of B&T and laugh @ those silly mineral water sipping twats..mwahuhuhuhu! cheers and peace2all;)

3.66/5  rDev +13.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I poured a bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance- Dark brown color with a fingers worth of tan head. Fair amount of lacing.

Smell- Dark roasted malt aroma with some caramel and chocolate notes.

Taste- Sweet with some dark roasted malt and chocolate flavors.

Mouthfeel- Medium bodied and smooth with an average amount of carbonation.

Overall- Pretty good beer. One of the better black and tans that I've had and worth having again.

3.2/5  rDev -0.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

From a 12 oz. can poured into a traditional pint glass.

A: Dark amber with a tan head, minimal carbonation. Kinda watery! I must admit, upon first glance this does not look like a worthy brew. Tiny head dissolves in less than five minutes. After that it gets better with a little bit of lacing clinging to the glass. Not too bad.

S: Probably the least appealing characteristic of this black and tan. Metallic macro-brew with a malt backbone.

T: Surprisingly malty up front. Nice malts, no doubt from the Yuengling Porter used to brew this. Wheat-y, biscuit-y on the tongue. Only the briefest hint of that macro-brew smell in the flavor of this beer, thank goodness. Simple, light, and easy to drink far too much of.

M: Crisp, light. After-taste has a little astringency, but not crazy. Nothing special, it doesn't take away from the beer but doesn't add much either.

Overall, a decent session beer if you don't want to spend a lot of money and live somewhere in Pennsylvania. I like the cans, personally. I think they are less likely to taste skunked.

3.75/5  rDev +16.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

This is probably one of my favorite black & tan's that has crossed my palate. I look for Yuengling in the places I can find it and typically look for this style. Smooth for a dark beer with the elements of dark malts and bitter hops. There is also a pleasant aftertaste which aids in the enjoyment of the beer.

1.94/5  rDev -39.8%
look: 2.75 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2

I remember when I used to think highly of Yuengling's Black & Tan. Now, I simply question my judgement as a younger beer drinker - among other things... While it pours thick and presentable, it drinks thin and forgettable. With little to no hops and a lack of roasted flavors, it tastes comparable to a straight forward, low ABV, watered down, and don't forget flat, Lager. The hints of caramel and coffee mentioned on the label, well those ingredients didn't make it into the batch I received. Long story short, don't drink a traditional layered beer from a 12oz bottle. It will always end in disappointment.

2.82/5  rDev -12.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

On tap in a snifter at Woodlands Tavern on 10/3/11

Cracked Rear View Snifter: The bartender started to pour a lager, then dumped it. In the process, he accidentally hit the snifter against the tap and cracked the glass. I asked him to fill it anyway - the snifter needed one last go-round.

A) Deep ruby color; this is pretty dark, especially once outside against the firelight. One finger head drops quickly but leaves a thick-ish ring or bubbly foam. A few patches of drippy lace.

S) The aroma has a similar adjunct-laden presence like the lager but it's rounded out by toasty dark grains; it is quite bready. Smells clean; hoppiness is low. Not particularly roasted either; lightly tangy. Nuttiness emerges as it warms.

T) Tastes tangy; smoothly toasted dark grains with a dulled adjunct edge. A modest earthy hoppiness is had throughout. It isn't bitter but has a twinge that builds with each sip. Earthy and grassy with stray metallic hints. Tastes alright.

M) Medium body, straight up. Carbonation is higher than I prefer; it keeps the beer more than agitated. Toasted grains linger and the finish is a bit coating.

D) First night of Yuengling in Ohio, last night of this snifter intact. I sure hope I didn't swallow any glass.

Yuengling Black & Tan from Yuengling Brewery